Good news: Bloomberg’s gun-control group offering printable placemats for Thanksgiving dinner

posted at 6:11 pm on November 26, 2013 by Allahpundit

More or less annoying than the Thanksgiving ObamaCare talking points from OFA? I’m going to say “more,” not because of the subject matter but because the thought of sitting down to eat after a lecture about health insurance only to find more leftist propaganda staring back at me might make me flip the table. Simple request for America’s O-bots this week: Choose. You can either encourage me to throw my money away on an ObamaCare plan I can’t afford or convince me to give up my gun because that’ll reduce the odds of another mass shooting by one one-hundred-millionth or whatever. Thanksgiving is a day for indulgence, but only within reason.

Click here for full size. Can a placemat do what a months-long White House campaign last winter couldn’t, my friends?

tg

Question: Given that so many liberal activists have decided that Thursday is a day for Raising Awareness, is it worth shifting to a preemption strategy? All I want to do is watch football and eat but that kind of passivity might land me in the audience for some twentysomething cousin’s 45-minute meditation on how “if you like your plan” wasn’t technically a lie. Maybe the only solution is to prepare a list of topics and start running through it as soon as the guests’ coats are off. Baseball’s new instant-replay rule, the terribleness of “Homeland,” America’s awakening to the fact that Chinese-food cartons are supposed to be opened and used as plates — there’s no shortage of ways to play conversational keep-away from the earnest young liberal who read this awesome Ezra Klein post the other day about enrollment targets that he wants to tell you about. Be proactive. And take comfort in the fact that, come next Thanksgiving, lefties will be looking to play their own game of conversational keep-away.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

OT Sort of – It’s that time of year and I couldn’t help but be reminded of that hilarious Sarah Palin interview where she was pardoning a Turkey at a farm in Alaska and while she’s speaking you can see turkeys getting slaughtered behind her. She had to know that was the backdrop and didn’t care. Yes turkeys get slaughtered before they’re put on the plate ho-hum. Absolutely precious, just had to go watch it. No sarc tag intended.

Buttercup on November 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Buttercup on November 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I really liked her CPAC speech talking about her and hubby exchanging Christmas gifts – “he got the gun, and I’ve got the rack” – priceless.

dentarthurdent on November 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Why is it that a family and friend festive meal based around the celebration of giving Thanks for all that we have has to turn into a partisan political conversation advocating authoritarianism and the loss of personal liberty, freedom, and responsibility?

Athos on November 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM

What’s that smell? nonpartisan that just got BURNED.

Hill60 on November 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Be safe when frying your turkey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xPV27MxkF8

davidk on November 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Yeah, but are taxpayers on the hook for the activities of Cruz or Heritage?

Who pays for those PSAs for ObamaCare?

Sherman1864 on November 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM

OFA pays for Obamacare PSAs They are a 501 c 4 org.

Buy Danish on November 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Why are conservatives so fearful of substantive conversation with their loved ones? would they prefer to talk about the latest honey boo boo episodes instead?

nonpartisan on November 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Deep thoughts on gun control by Jack Handy nonpartisan, Juris Doctor:

from my understanding, a skeet gun would lack killing power as its not built to kill

nonpartisan on April 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

NotCoach on November 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM

nonpartisan on April 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

NotCoach on November 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM

But if you hit it just right you can kill a snipe with it…

dentarthurdent on November 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

nonpartisan on April 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

NotCoach on November 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM

But if you hit it just right you can kill a snipe with it…

dentarthurdent on November 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

This was non-parti-san’s defense of the REB playing with a skeet shotgun and sending out promotional pictures of it, by the way.

slickwillie2001 on November 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM

slickwillie2001 on November 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Ya – I saw the original. Gawd he’s an idiot.
I didn’t really need a sarc tag for the snipe comment, did I?

dentarthurdent on November 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM

nonpartisan on November 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Why are you liberals so fearful of allowing people to spend one day with their loved ones, enjoying each others’ company and talking about whatever the hell they want to talk about? We spend practically every other moment of our lives listening to you lecture at and hector us about what we should eat, what we should drive, what we should teach our kids, who we should vote for, what we should say, what we should think, etc.

Is it too much to ask for one friggin’ day off from the constant agenda pushing?

Gator Country on November 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM

dentarthurdent, you and the Mrs sound like a fun couple to be around. I would love to see one of those Dracos in action sometime.

juliesa on November 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM

On my gun I have a place mat that says

Turkey necks kill people.

SparkPlug on November 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM

is it too late to get about 50 of those???

Just got back from the range and realized my target supply is low.

RealMc on November 28, 2013 at 6:51 AM

In totalitarian societies, holidays serve the interest of the State

Akzed on November 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM

As I said in the auick-passing headlines thread:

I believe the truth is that very few liberals are going to WANT to bring up politics or Obamacare.

A couple of forums I frequent – which are presumably about other interests I have in common with these people, but which have morphed into rabid leftist politics – are full of far-left people who spent years excoriating anyone who didn’t want Obamacare, calling them stupid, racist, and heartless people who wanted others to die. Thread after thread about the wonders of Obamacare.

When the web site failed, there was disappointment and surprise, but all kinds of talk about it just being temporary, expected glitches (and if you thought otherwise, you were stupid, racist, etc.).

Since then – NADA. Not a PEEP. And these are people who put up threads about every possible last little thing they can outrage over regarding the righ, and dozens of threads about Obamacare. Now? Studious avoidance of the entire subject..

These people are not going to bring up the ACA at Thanksgiving, if not everyone there supports Obama; and if someone else does, they’ll have to rely on that pathetic talking points cheat sheet desperately provided for them by OFA.

And they’re less likely to bring up any other politics either, because that could easily slide into Obamacare.

Alana on November 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM