OFA: Be sure to use Thanksgiving dinner to convince relatives to buy a plan on the ObamaCare exchange

posted at 6:11 pm on November 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Jonah Goldberg. Believe it or not, these soulless robots have prepared an actual talking-points memo for the occasion replete with tips on how to plan your “talk.” My favorite: “Integrate the talk into family time.” Good advice — and for my money, the more dramatic the integration, the better. When your cousin pulls out baby pictures of her newborn and tries to pass them around, grab her arm gently but firmly and say, “Hey — isn’t there something more important we should be discussing?”

Don’t be fazed by the stunned silence that follows. That’s your opening to grab your iPad and start the Powerpoint on enrollment that you’ve prepared.

of

I like the idea that you, by dint of having donated to Obama and happily swallowed endless lies about keeping your plan and your provider network, are necessarily the “voice of reason” at the dinner table this year. In the unlikely event that you find yourself seated across from one of these benighted schmucks, you can play it three ways: One: Deflect. Change the subject. Bring up “The Walking Dead” or how boring the NFL is this year or whether maybe Orwell had a point about statism’s insidious power to dehumanize people by reducing them to cogs in a government propaganda machine. Two: Engage. Ace has prepared a helpful talking-points memo of his own in case you find yourself at a loss upon being pitched on O-Care by the same arrogant little sh*t who called you ignorant for doubting that the program would work at Thanksgiving dinners past. (If Ezra Klein has any conservative relatives, he or she is about to have the best Thanksgiving ever.) Three: If there are people at the table considering buying a plan on the exchange, wait patiently until they’re done cursing Obama for having forced their insurer to cancel their old coverage and then prepare them for how to shop on the exchange. For starters, don’t believe the prices quoted on Healthcare.gov:

The troubled federal website allows visitors to anonymously surf the site for exchange plans sold in their areas and provides them with estimated prices for each health plan. (Just click on the “See Plans Now” button on the homepage and follow instructions.) But here’s the problem: The monthly premium estimates provided on the website do not consider a person’s specific age, household size or tobacco use — all critical factors when estimating premiums…

For our family of four, HealthCare.gov offers six Silver plans: four Independence Blue Cross plans and two Aetna plans. (We considered only the Silver plans to keep it simple.) The HealthCare.gov estimates ranged from $708.84 per month to $982 per month.

Now, HealthCare.gov doesn’t ask for ages or even an age range when providing plan information and premium estimates for family coverage. All it wants to know is the visitor’s home state and county.

ValuePenguin.com asks for a little more information. Besides county and state, window shoppers have to provide household size, as well as ages and tobacco use for all family members. That website’s estimates were higher — much higher. A whopping 69 percent higher for each exchange plan. The premium range: $1,201.44 to $1,666 per month. (And, remember, that’s for a family of nonsmokers.)

They might be eligible for a subsidy, but then again they might not. And their subsidy might be illegal depending upon where they buy the plan: If they get it from Healthcare.gov or directly from an insurer, the rug could be pulled out from under them next year. Buying one of the cheaper “bronze” plans on the exchanges will help cut their cost, but they need to be careful and read the fine print. The bronze plans are the ones with the highest deductibles and the smallest provider networks. They might be better off with silver or even gold, if they can afford it. At around this point, someone at the table’s going to pipe up and say, “But why are they so expensive?” That’s when the real fun begins.

Actually, I think that last bit explains why OFA is doing this, as creepy as it seems. They know ObamaCare’s going to come up at a lot of dinner tables this year and they know that most of what’s said won’t be happy. The talking-points memo isn’t meant to be followed to the letter — I hope — it’s just a way of nudging liberals to encourage people to reserve judgment when the subject does come up. In fact, given that young adults are (a) O-Care’s target consumers and (b) the demographic that’s probably most likely to click on a link from OFA, the whole “talking-points memo” is really just a way to encourage the people reading it to sign up themselves. There’s a lot of “young healthies” out there to be gouged before this boat will float.

There … sure is a lot of this stuff floating around on lefty sites right now, though. Exit quotation:

Update: Via Mark and Mollie Hemingway, “The 5 Most Insane Obamacare Talking Points You Can Expect To Hear From Your Crazy Uncle This Week.”

Here’s a sample response you might use. “That would be great. Except that I’m going to be washing dishes and cleaning up for a bit. How about you go into the guest room and use the computer in there to sign me up. As soon as you’re done, you can have some pie.”

The key is to get them to make a commitment not to come out until they’ve finished signing you up. Remember their conversation tip — Ask them to make a plan, and commit to it. Ask them to commit to finishing the sign-up before they come out of the room.

Since nobody can actually sign up for Obamacare, they’ll be busily trying to operate the web site for the duration of your visit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Don’t be fazed by the stunned silence that follows.

Silence? Can’t you hear the “gobble, gobble”?!

Shy Guy on November 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM

1984

petefrt on November 26, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I am asking for a political talk ban at my gathering.

But if the one Obamabot starts shrieking about ObamaCare, outside of the wonderful suggestion about asking them to enroll, I do have one advantage. it goes something like this – which I can say since I am involved in the health care delivery industry:

“Listen, let’s just drop it. Every bad thing that has happened so far I predicted well in advance. And there is more bad stuff coming – which a functioning website (which is at a minimum three months away) will demonstrate more fully. Let’s eat!”

If that doesn’t work:

“You don’t understand the industry, and you never will. Your MSNBC talking points are stupid. SO do us all a favor – let’s enjoy the bird and the pie and each others company. Otherwise, I am going to point by point destroy every argument you make, with malice, just to show everyone here what a partisan hack you are in addition to being dumber than dirt. Truce? Or scorched earth? Either one will leave me hungry. And scorched earth leaves you humiliated – so which way you want it?”

Zomcon JEM on November 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM

All I can say is, Thank GOD I’m staying home this year and not having dinner at the Nomad house! Seriously, I’d shoot that sister-in-law of yours!

Maddie on November 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Don’t think the thought hasn’t come to mind!

Happy Nomad on November 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM

HappyNomad;WhatSlushfund

I can really relate to you two. My own mother has hardly spoken to me since I voiced (quite civilly) some trepidation about O-care back in the summer of 2009, and I have FIVE brothers and sisters who I know I’ll have no contact with after Mom passes away. Part political, but mostly childhood dynamics. Have told the wife unless a lawyer executes the Will, we should be prepared to receive nothing. Luckily (for my own sanity) I’ve come to terms with that.

teacherman on November 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Please, please, please, let us all quit calling them “liberals”.

We are the true liberals. They are only leftists aka leftards, charlatanic, dictatorial thugs.

They are Never, Never, Never liberal, nor progressive.

Please:

1. We must always call them leftists; leftards is more than acceptable, too.

2. We must always call it obama’care’.

3. We must always call them re-distributionists, which means that they don’t provide “subsidies”. They rip you off, with taxes, to redistribute your efforts to their modern day plantation dwellers and D voters.

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM

That’s how I‘d do it! :)

Anti-Control on November 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM

teacherman

“Dear Abby….” It’s holiday time!

teacherman, seek kindred spirits in life, and love them (your family) from a distance.

Your state laws are impossible to get around – they are subject like anyone, they will have to behave loosely according to the law. A tax return has to be filed, it’s hard to manange a loved one’s death. They will pocket anything laying around the house and “sell it on ebay,*” but she should really get rid of a lot of stuff while she is alive if there are death taxes and she has any real money. If her car goes missing, you can call the police for some fun.

* this wisdom, my beautiful greying husband.

Fleuries on November 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM

OFA- Obama’s Foolish Azzholes.

Anti-Statist on November 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM

From The Hill, this morning:

Administration officials said Monday that some visitors to ObamaCare’s federal enrollment site would experience outages, slow response times or messages to try again later during the month of December.

Through December, huh?

This has got to be the GOP’s fault. Racists!

socalcon on November 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

There is no better advertisement for repeal than having them go to the Healthcare.gov website on Thanksgiving and telling them to try and buy a plan. They can then get the full ObamaCare experience. If they can manage to make it to the point where they can see the plan choices they will get to see the prices! That will create interesting dinner conversations.

Publius24 on November 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM

{Sorry for the re-post, but the caffeine hasn’t quite kicked in yet.}

Participation trophies for all!!!

socalcon on November 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Zomcon JEM on November 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM

There’s always the last resort, -move to the kids’ table. Probably more meaningful conversation than that with proggies anyway.

slickwillie2001 on November 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I don’t know – I suspect that the OFA trolls will be about as active trying to pitch the EpicClusterFark as the trolls here are at defending it.

It’s hard to defend the indefensible – and emotion doesn’t carry very well when reality shines its very bright light on the failures and lies.

Athos on November 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM

If even ONE of my relatives pulls this garbage I’m booting them out the door. No leftovers, no desserts to take home, no yummy homemade anything. Just so we are clear I will announce my table as a politics free zone at the start. I’m a redhead with a temper and WILL put a boot in your b–t!

On a larger note, how desperate are these Dems and how creepy is this letter?

I imagine the Nazi’s had something like this as regards Jews back in the 1930s.

Is this the government we want, really?

neyney on November 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I wish AP would have included this ad also.

bluefox on November 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Not that any of my relative would, but if one of them were to start blathering to me about anything to do with 0bama at the Thanksgiving table, I’d beat them to death with a turkey leg.

CurtZHP on November 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

relative s/b relatives.

CurtZHP on November 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Don’t think the thought hasn’t come to mind!

Happy Nomad on November 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM

What, staying home or shooting her? If it’s the latter, let me know and I’ll tell the cops you were with me watching television.

Maddie on November 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Zomcon JEM on November 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM

You MUST videotape that beat-down and post it on WorldStarHipHop!!!

Maddie on November 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Fleuries

Thank you for the good advice. We’ve sort of been down this road before when my mother in law died and my wife’s only brother was a complete ass. Occupied the home and wouldn’t leave.

teacherman on November 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Uncle so-and-so, go to your room and sign up. Don’t leave until your finished. See how that works from a snotty nosed twenty-something who still has insurance through his parents. Maybe the parents will say since it’s so great, I’m dropping you from our plan and you can buy it yourself.
It’s also funny how it’s geared toward the uncle, not the aunt. However, most health decisions are made by the woman in the family. Tell the snot nosed kid to speak with Aunt so-and-so and tell her why she is a racist and doesn’t care about others.

djaymick on November 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Do they really believe they can convince the tide not to wash their sandcastle away?

Wallythedog on November 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Rather than eat, go upstairs and waste your time while I eat.
Yeah, that will go over well.

Hard Right on November 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

You push that turkey on your relatives and they give you the bird.

WryTrvllr on November 26, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Ironically, Obamacare ™ does not cover the pre-existing condition (a mental disorder) known as liberalism.

virgo on November 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM

My future son in law is coming. He is going to be an English teacher. I have been very careful in discussing politics to him.
I present him with intelligent questions and conundrums to consider.
I refer back to the Constitution.
I do not elaborate often.
He is a huge tightwad with him $$ and has very unrealistic expectations about his life starting out & the costs of things.
He is already grumbling about certain things that are direct results of Liberal policies.
I’m just letting the young man experience life one disaster at a time.
He’s just going to have to find out for himself.
But he is one I think will turn conservative, at least fiscally, in his politics as he starts a working life & family.
Bcs it’s already hitting him like a ton of bricks…

Badger40 on November 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Badger40 on November 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Sooo . . . . . where does your daughter stand on politics?

listens2glenn on November 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

It seems that to liberals, progressives, or whatever you want to call them now, the only bad things in life are due to the interference of the bad white guys into the lives of pure native cultures. Give me a frickin’ break.

Qzsusy on November 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Here’s a brief, partial list of deadly diseases that originated among “Native people” in South America:

– Hepatitis A and C
– Syphilis
– Gonorrhea

and from “Native people” in Asia:

– Leprosy
– Bubonic Plague
– Tuberculosis

…anyone who starts rechanting about the plight of Natives being infected by “Newcomers” should be promptly notified of this:

The Bubonic Plague was responsible for the deaths of TEN TO SIXTEEN MILLION people in Europe, brought there by Asians arriving for commerce and residential purposes.

This article reports the European death count by Bubonic Plague (“The Black Death”) at TWENTY MILLION.

The Black Death arrived in Europe by sea in October 1347 when 12 Genoese trading ships docked at the Sicilian port of Messina after a long journey through the Black Sea. The people who gathered on the docks to greet the ships were met with a horrifying surprise: Most of the sailors aboard the ships were dead, and those who were still alive were gravely ill. They were overcome with fever, unable to keep food down and delirious from pain. Strangest of all, they were covered in mysterious black boils that oozed blood and pus and gave their illness its name: the “Black Death.” The Sicilian authorities hastily ordered the fleet of “death ships” out of the harbor, but it was too late: Over the next five years, the mysterious Black Death would kill more than 20 million people in Europe–almost one-third of the continent’s population.

Bubonic Plague originated in Asia, moved Westward with the trade routes, jumping port to port until it landed in the above area reported.

Lourdes on November 27, 2013 at 7:09 PM

If my mom tries this, I am walking out the door… again.

Sterling Holobyte on November 28, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I put my Obamacare in the oven this morning. Looking forward to eatin’ that sucker.

lonestarleeroy on November 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Yesterday, the after Turkey conversation came ’round to the turkey that is Obamacare. My very – nay, uber – liberal SIL complained that her health insurance had been canceled. The result was a slightly uncomfortable pause in the conversation followed by Mrs CiLH stating that my SIL had gotten her just deserts and should not have any of the scrumptious pumpkin pie.

Can you say “Game, Set & Match”?

CiLH1 on November 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM

There was fourteen family members at our dinner table and someone mentioned Obamacare and we all stipped eating and went outside and puked.

tmgrant on November 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM