NFL Week 12 open thread

posted at 12:31 pm on November 24, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

I’m sure you are all happy to see me come back after two weeks of Jazz Shaw’s relentless Jets cheerleading so that I can get back to my relentless Steelers cheerleading. You are all happy about that, right? Right? Is this mic on, or what?

Fortunately, I came back just in time for the AFC North’s oldest rivalry, Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland.  The Steelers are on a streak of late, winning two in a row and four of their last six, but only one of those was on the road … against the Jets, actually. (Heh.) The Steelers are still near the bottom in rushing offense and rushing defense, but their secondary has risen to the top 10 and Big Ben Roethlisberger has the passing O at 7th in the league.  Both sides of the Browns’ offense is mediocre at best, but their defense is in the top 10 against both the run and the pass. I’m going to go against the line and pick the Steelers in a mild upset with a low-scoring 17-13 win on the road.

In my last week of picks (Week 9), I went 3-4 to bring my record to 33-28.  In his two weeks at the helm, Jazz went, er … 11-3. Ahem. Now that I’m off my bye weeks, I’d better pick up my game, so here we go (all times ET):

• Vikings at Packers (1 pm, Fox) - Looks like this is Rivalry Week, and this one might provide more than we thought before I left. Aaron Rodgers is out, and with him the Packers’ ability to score. They’ve lost three games in a row since Rodgers’ injured shoulder, giving up 27 points each time.  Still, these are the Vikings and they’re on the road, so Packers win 20-16.
  • Panthers at Dolphins (1 pm, Fox) - Carolina has made themselves into a solid contender this year, wining six in a row after a 1-3 start.  The Panther passing offense remains mired near the bottom of the league, but a solid rushing offense and a well-balance defense allows Cam Newton to win impressively over teams like New England and San Francisco.  In comparison, Miami’s rankings are definitely second division, and they’ve lost five of their last seven games — but only got blown out once, in Week 4 against the Saints.  I’ll go with Carolina 23-20, but this may be a really fun game to watch.
  • Jets at Ravens (1 pm, CBS) - Normally I’d take the opportunity to beat up on the Jets on my return, but I’m really hoping that New York can find a way to pick off the Ravens.  Baltimore has lost four of their last five and don’t have impressive rankings, but they’re playing at home, and the Jets aren’t really a road team. Maybe their top-ranked passing defense can contain Baltimore. I’ll offer up a 24-21 pick for an upset Jets win and hope Jazz has enough mojo for them to pull it off.
  • Cowboys at Giants (4:25 pm, Fox) – Another great rivalry gets renewed this afternoon, made a little more compelling thanks to the Giants’ 4-game winning streak. That comes at the expense of second-division teams, but Dallas doesn’t have much better wins for bragging rights, either. The Saints shellacked them last week, and the week prior to that Dallas barely got by Minnesota at home. Giants need a meaningful win and will get one today, 31-27 at home.
  • Broncos at Patriots (8:30 pm, NBC) – This has to be the game of the week, and might end up being a preview of the AFC championship game.  Peyton Manning just topped Kansas City last week, ending their unbeaten streak, and Manning knows how to go on the road. New England hasn’t lost at home this season, but there’s a first time for everything, and their 27th-ranked secondary will be turned into minced meat by Manning.  Denver 41-30 over New England.
  • 49ers at Barrycaders (8:30 pm, MNF, ESPN) – Both teams have dropped two in a row, but there’s a qualitative difference in the competition, too. San Francisco lost close games to Carolina and New Orleans, while the Redskins lost to Minnesota and Philadelphia.  Washington has the top-ranked rushing offense in the league, but the 49ers are 5th, and the 49ers play better defense.  San Francisco over Washington, 31-23.

Comments

The Steelers were 2-0 without you, Ed. I think you’re bad luck or something.

Hot Gas on November 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I think Alabama beats any of them.

celtic warrior on November 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Broncos!

Katfish on November 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Panthers

Panther on November 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Barrycaders.

Ha!

BobMbx on November 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Racist NFL—->DON’T WANT.

Mr. Arrogant on November 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Ed picks the Steelers. Shockeroo!

gerrym51 on November 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Packers NEED to win this game …. If they dont then the season might as well be over. I hope AR is going to be back soon… need the guy back in a bad way, not knocking Tolzen or anything…. but he is more or less fresh off the practice squad… hes too green for the NFL right now.

watertown on November 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

…if you had stayed home!…the darn Detroit Lions might have broken…their Losing Steeler String…in Pittsburg!…(had not won there since the 50′s)

KOOLAID2 on November 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Go Chiefs! (And Pats.)

davidk on November 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM

New England hasn’t lost at home this season, but there’s a first time for everything, and their 27th-ranked secondary will be turned into minced meat by Manning. Denver 41-30 over New England.

Try again, Ed! Manning has never had to play in brutal weather conditions like those he will face tonight in Foxboro. At game time tonight, it’s going to be 19 degrees with an arctic wind coming straight down from the North Pole at 20+ miles per hour. Right now, even though it’s a relatively balmy 28 degrees there, the windchill temperature is already just 16 degrees, and it will drop like a stone later today.

I heard ESPN’s Sal Palantonio reporting from Foxboro an hour ago, and he said today was the worst weather he’s seen in Foxboro since he joined that network in 1995. He also expressed doubt that Manning’s body would be able to function fully by later in the game. He saw Manning play in a cold game in Denver last season and said that by the 3rd quarter Manning was definitely impaired by the weather.

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM

For all you BDSers out there! This column ran in the Denver Post last week. The “author” a couple of days later was interviewed on one of the Boston sports radio outlets, and admitted that he was asked to write this online column (which did not appear in the print edition) solely to generate hits.

He also admitted that he’s not even one of the Post’s NFL writers! He covers the Olympics for them. He came out of that interview a shaken and beaten man.

Patriots whining again, but America will be pulling for Denver Sunday

Hilarious excerpt:

This is the team caught cheating against the New York Jets this season, illegally pushing teammates on a field goal attempt.

Translated: “Normal NFL rules violations are called that only when the team involved isn’t the New England Patriots. When the New England Patriots violate normal NFL rules, they are cheating!”

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I think Alabama beats any of them.

celtic warrior on November 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I’d like to see the Alabama Crimson Tide vs the Washington Crimson Hide.

Flange on November 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM

whats gotten into the Rams???

Tavon Austin first player since Gale Sayers to have 4 TDs of 50+ yards in a span of two games.

Chris and Kyle Long in a brawl

Sacramento on November 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I think Alabama beats any of them.

celtic warrior on November 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I would love to see a game between these guys and any NFL team. After they win the BCS, and (whomever) wins the Superbowl, they should play a charity game against each other. This would be an awesome matchup

Hammie on November 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM

For all you BDSers out there…

ಠ_ಠ

Hilarious excerpt:

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I have one thing to say….

JetBoy on November 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

arctic wind coming straight down from the North Pole…
Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM

The winds may be coming from the North Pole but Belichick is no Santa Claus. Denver wins.

HellCat on November 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

…they say that one man out of 22… can’t make ‘that big a difference’… in the game of football…right now it is 20-7…Minnesota over Green Bay….one quarter left to go…I guess I just must have immense respect for Aaron Rogers then…because…having lived with the Detroit Lions all of my life…guess how much I love Green Bay?
…What a difference…makes Minnesota look good!

KOOLAID2 on November 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM

…What a difference…makes Minnesota look good!

KOOLAID2 on November 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM

…how do you cook CROW ?
the Detroit Lions in the last minute just managed to lose to the Tampa Bay Somalian’s…playing football… like most of our Republican leaders play politics…snatching defeat …out of jaws of victory!

KOOLAID2 on November 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I don’t believe it. right now in the playoff standings on espn.com if season ended today Pittsburgh would be the sixth seed and get in the playoffs. Amazing.

gerrym51 on November 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Generally I really enjoy your political posts but you have the BDSrs living in your head.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Denver Broncos
4m
=====
The Packers tie the Vikings 26-26, the team’s first tie since 1997 – @NBCSports
read more on twitter.com

canopfor on November 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Cowboys looking good so far; BobMbx not fooled by headfake, prepares for ridicule at office tomorrow…again.

BobMbx on November 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Broncos!

Katfish on November 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Holy wtf Patsies and Broncos

Daikokuco on November 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM

The Cowboys shutup the Giants who had guaranteed a victory all week long. Go Cowboys!!

dddave on November 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

And the Patriots WIN!!

EA_MAN on November 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Disclaimer!

Sad to say, I missed all the excitement, due to the Arctic Air conditions today here in central NH. Our entire grid was knocked offline when an evil Tree fell over the lines.

As a result, I did not see any of the games live (including tonight) so will have to replay it.

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM

My term “BDS” is inter-modal.

1. Brady

2. Belicheat

Plenty of people hate Brady every day, which has continued throughout his career.

I’ll admit I haven’t heard much in the way of BDS against the other B (Coach) recently.

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2013 at 12:52 AM

What a bizarre bundle of games it was.

Ugly on November 25, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I call BS! Ties make the NFL appear queer. Of course with the way my beloved Pack has been playing I guess I shouldn’t complain. Yet here I am complaining. BS! Go Pack!!!

Bmore on November 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM