George W. Bush surprises GOP governors at RGA meeting

posted at 9:31 pm on November 21, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Imagine the opposite of this meeting, on steroids.

W. dropped by the Republican Governors Association meeting in Arizona Thursday at the request of new RGA head Gov. Chris Christie:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s first act as chairman of the Republican Governors Association Thursday was a secret to all but a few close aides — organizing a surprise appearance by former President George W. Bush.

The 43rd president stopped into Scottsdale, Ariz., on his way to a speech in Oklahoma on Thursday night to speak with the more than 20 Republican governors in a private lunch at the group’s fall meeting. The event, at the plush Phoenician Resort’s wood-paneled steakhouse overlooking the terraced pools and golf course here, featured short remarks from Bush and a longer question and answer session over a two-hour lunch.

“It was absolutely wonderful to have him here,” said Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer. “He was very upbeat and charismatic.”

If you’re looking for 2016 tea leaves, there’s not much, but Bush does commend the governors for being the “best breeding ground” for presidents, according to Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer. Most were mum:

When asked about Bush supporting the idea that the next presidential nominee should come from one of the nation’s statehouses as opposed to Washington, D.C., Fallin did not reveal more details of the conversation, but said: “I think in general there is a popular opinion that the leadership of the nation would benefit from the governors because we are used to governing vs. someone who has never had to govern a government operation.”

Gov. Rick Perry’s reaction is, as usual, very Perry. He and Bush’s team have a famously cool relationship.

“Tasty. It was a tasty piece of steak.”

And, since we’re in a moment of W. nostalgia, let me offer perhaps the greatest picture of him ever, taken this Halloween with his new grandson:

HT_George_bush_grandson_nt_131101_16x9_608

He wasn’t a perfect president, but he’s is quite a man. Listen to Dana Perino’s story from her years in the White House, recorded this week as part of Real Clear Politics’ Morning Commute series.

Exit quotation: “I’d like you to try to forgive him.”

Comments

“miss me yet?”

Nope…

Let me tell you what happened after you left office…

We got fluked……

And 40% of Americans love it….

Electrongod on November 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Bush does commend the governors for being the “best breeding ground” for governors

Huh ?

VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM

10 years ago he pulled an amazing surprise too.

Yeah, we miss him.

thebrokenrattle on November 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Great man, but horrible at handling those domestic terrorists known as the democrat party.

SouthernGent on November 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Huh ?

VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Oh, presidents. You know what I meant.

Mary Katharine Ham on November 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Mr. President, I am glad you’re feeling well and getting out into the spotlight to support the party. Man, is this country screwed up or what?

Philly on November 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Oh, presidents. You know what I meant.

Mary Katharine Ham on November 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Well, you could have meant obesity … or amnesty.

VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Moderate Mayhem!
Did McCain jump out of the cake?

RovesChins on November 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

With Obama, Bush does make one nostalgic for him. Rather like if you have Stage IV cancer you look back on the “good old days” when you had Stage II cancer.

VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Moderate Mayhem!
Did McCain jump out of the cake?

RovesChins on November 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

That was the plan, but Christie ate the cake.

VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM

And, since we’re in a moment of W. nostalgia, let me offer perhaps the greatest picture of him ever, taken this Halloween with his new grandson granddaughter

Fixed

Mark1971 on November 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Oh, presidents. You know what I meant.
Mary Katharine Ham on November 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Well, you could have meant obesity … or amnesty.
VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Good one!

bluegill on November 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Moderate Mayhem!
Did McCain jump out of the cake?

RovesChins on November 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

That was the plan, but Christie ate the cake.

VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Hopefully, McCain was still in the cake.

RovesChins on November 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Hopefully, McCain was still in the cake.

RovesChins on November 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

lmao!

bazil9 on November 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Hopefully, McCain was still in the cake.

RovesChins on November 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Along with Graham and Rubio and Flake.

VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM

That Dana Perino video was awesome. Love the way she told it and the way GWB handled it.

Texas Zombie on November 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM

He wasn’t a perfect president, but he’s is quite a man.

Yes, George W. Bush is quite a man.

His biggest weakness was he trusted some people who should not have been trusted… Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson, for one.

ITguy on November 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

ITguy on November 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Condi Rice for another.

VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

…didn’t know that he was chairman…and am not sure I like that.

KOOLAID2 on November 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I know that people like W, but lets not forget who this man is and what he believes:

“What is this movement you keep talking about in the speech?” the president asked Latimer.

Latimer explained that he meant the conservative movement — the movement that gave rise to groups like CPAC.

Bush seemed perplexed. Latimer elaborated a bit more. Then Bush leaned forward, with a point to make.

“Let me tell you something,” the president said. “I whupped Gary Bauer’s ass in 2000. So take out all this movement stuff. There is no movement.”

Valkyriepundit on November 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

good guy

rob verdi on November 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM

He is indeed a good man, as was his pop. However, their failure to recognize the true enemies of this country and not amp it up when being attacked is one of the reasons we is in this fix. Just look how “let’s get along”, panned out today. And Dana Perino can kiss my butt. She was/is part of the problem. Looks nice though.

arnold ziffel on November 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Mila is not amused at being called a boy. :)

buckichick1 on November 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Mila is not amused at being called a boy. :)

buckichick1 on November 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Lindsey Graham would be.

VorDaj on November 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Valkyriepundit on November 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Sounds like hearsay.

Texas Zombie on November 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

OT: Firefox question; I have a widescreen monitor (27″ iMac), have set fonts larger, have tab window sized to take up much of the screen – some sites resize as the window width does, HA doesn’t – it stays really narrow, just gets really tall, lol. um, any way to make that expand width-wise?

Midas on November 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I told my wife that the only women I’d ever leave her for are Kate Beckinsale and Dana Perino.

Which is pretty bad since my sister is acquaintances with Dana :P

(Yeah thats still kind of a hot topic)

Defenestratus on November 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Sounds like hearsay.

Texas Zombie on November 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I tend to believe it, since his style of government certainly reflected the sentiment.

Valkyriepundit on November 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM

“Taco Thursdays” Shoulda’ had that for dinner.

Forgive me y’all, Dana Parino is the definition of hot.

She could talk about snaking a drain and I would watch.

cozmo on November 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM

…didn’t know that he was chairman…and am not sure I like that.
KOOLAID2 on November 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Yes, and a big deal was made about how this role will give him an excuse to travel to different states often and give self-benefitting speeches that tie into his presidential campaign message.

Blech

bluegill on November 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Im sticking with it. Even with all the garbage you Bush haters throw.

I think history will be rather kind to the man. Say what you want about all the other presidents, but those my age have never really experinced them. We only have Clinton, Bush, and Obama to judge with… sorry, Bush as bad as he was by caving into the left all the time, is the best out of those 3 for me.

watertown on November 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Wow..how I would have loved to have been in that room..to see Dubya and the Phoenician Resort is one of my favorites..

Xango Annie on November 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

“Rick Perry, the former President’s successor as Texas governor, gave a briefer description of the lunch: “It was tasty. It was a tasty piece of steak.”

*snicker*

workingclass artist on November 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Why is that not surprising?

rickv404 on November 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Bush didn’t start a movement for conservatism.

He left us with nothing… except Obama.

faraway on November 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Im sticking with it. Even with all the garbage you Bush haters throw.

watertown on November 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Maybe but this visit was all about pushing a

Jeb/Christie 2016 ticket.

workingclass artist on November 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Why is that not surprising?

rickv404 on November 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Gov. Christie suckin’ up to Bush Inc…no surprise at all.

workingclass artist on November 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Midas on November 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

1. Throw out your mac.
2. J/K
3. On a PC you can hold down ctrl and use the scroll wheel to change zoom.

Murphy9 on November 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Midas on November 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Can’t say off hand. You’re not zoomed out on the page, are you? Does it do this in Safari?

rickv404 on November 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I don’t have to agree with everything GWB did or said in order to believe he was on balance a good president. He was the opposite of his successor in almost every way.

Texas Zombie on November 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Midas on November 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

check the corner tab in the lower right and see is you can drag is diagonally to expand.

workingclass artist on November 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM

HA may have width set at XX px vs. xx %.

faraway on November 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM

rickv404 on November 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Not zoomed out.

HA is ‘narrow’ in Safari, too.

Midas on November 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I think you are fine Mr. Perry, but you might need to keep that snark and raise it twenty for the 2016 time. You cheesed/freezed up on me last time.

arnold ziffel on November 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM

If only Bush had left a Veep capable of running for office, someone who actually might have made a contest out of running against the O. Keeping Cheney on for the entire second term was not a good idea at all.

MTF on November 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

1. Throw out your mac.
2. J/K
3. On a PC you can hold down ctrl and use the scroll wheel to change zoom.

Murphy9 on November 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Yeah, but if I zoom using the font size i’ve already set to be what I want it to be ‘universally’, then the fonts get ginormous for HA only, lol. *sigh*

Midas on November 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

HA may have width set at XX px vs. xx %.

faraway on November 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM

… and I guess that’s not something I can adjust, eh?

Midas on November 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM

This is the side of Bush I really miss: a genuinely honest and decent human being. That’s so rare in politics, and Bush 43 had both to a remarkable degree. Obama has neither of those to qualities.

But the “forgiveness” stuff works on a personal level. It will kill you in politics. A press SEC doing this to a democrat would’ve had his throat slit — literally. They don’t tolerate that kind of $hit within their ranks which is one reason they’re so effective a pushing their agenda.

I wish it weren’t the case but nice guys finish last in American politics. If 2012 is any indication, this is a lesson the GOP still hasn’t learned.

SAMinVA on November 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Dear W… I like you, but don’t you dare start propping up Jeb…

Skywise on November 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM

From the perspective of a retired military man that served his final years under both Bush and Obumbles, YES, I miss him!!!

dddave on November 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM

W got what he deserved with Mcclellan.

Mcclellan was never up for that job. He always looked as if he was lying. You could ask him the time, and he start to sweat.

Mcclellan is the perfect summary of W’s biggest fault: blind loyalty.

budfox on November 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Sorry, MK, but this story contains the best picture of W ever. It says everything we need to know about this man’s simple decency and love of America and her citizens.

NavyMustang on November 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM

dddave on November 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I am VERY happy that my retirement certificate is signed by W and not Obama (or Clinton for that matter).

NavyMustang on November 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Midas on November 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

3. On a PC you can hold down ctrl and use the scroll wheel to change zoom.

Murphy9 on November 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Same on Mac, Command Key and scroll wheel.

If you click on the green light in the top left corner it should zoom to full-screen but still with full top menu.

slickwillie2001 on November 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM

A great man. I wish him nothing but the best. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I definitely miss ya, Dubya.

GOPRanknFile on November 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM

While I must admit that I was pissed at this guy for a period of time, this is a man with class who has shown tremendous restraint. This guy has more class in his pinky than Obama, Clinton, and Carter have combined. I think history will be kind to W, thanks in no small part to the buffoon currently occupying the WH. Obama has done more to improve W’s standing with the public than W probably ever imagined.

ncconservative on November 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

arnold ziffel on November 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Perry has no chance. If he couldn’t cut it in a weak field, he won’t cut it in a much stronger field of candidates.

ncconservative on November 21, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Funny, because the two are so alike.

slickwillie2001 on November 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM

NavyMustang on November 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Fair enough Sir, but did he really need to pull the religion of peace crap at the same time? And tightening the borders when he could have/should have?

He is a good, decent man, just apparently lacks the let’s fuk em up gene. Same as all of the other repubs unless it is the tea party or Mrs. Palin.

arnold ziffel on November 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM

[Midas on November 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM]

I’ve got a PC but not a wide screen monitor. I tried opening and closing bookmarks in Firefox and HA just shifts and adds/removes a scroll bar. In my estimation, HA has set their column widths such that the width you are trying to operate in exceeds their max widths, ie, it won’t go full width of your monitor. You might get the browser window to go full width but the page appearance will always stay tall and narrow. Just a guess. I’d have to try it on my sister’s computer tomorrow to see if I’m right — she’s got wide screen monitor.

Dusty on November 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Exit quotation: “I’d like you to try to forgive him.”

Only when he apologizes for Iraq.

What killed Bush and Republicans was not Katrina, but Iraq. In fact the ObamaCare debacle is more akin to Iraq, a long drawn out affair with no real end. It was not just political disaster because it led to complete Democrat control of the executive and legislative branches of government, but a economic and strategic one as well.

The strategic failings are not as obvious right now, but by the U.S. focusing on Iraq (and the Middle East) at the expense of Asia it gave China room to strengthen its hand. This obsession of the Neo-Cons on the Middle East still exists today in the GOP and it worries me.

This worry is based on the fact that as the next decade or two unfolds we will have wasted lives and time in a place that was not important to U.S. national interests, while a real nationalistic and militaristic power was growing and is today preparing to kick our a$$ out of Asia in the next 20 years.

I will ask this…What did we gain in Iraq?

William Eaton on November 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Correction: Bush has a grand-daughter, named Mila.

Texene on November 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Midas on November 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

It’s the column widths setting on HA. Only thing I can think to do would be to use custom CSS that overrides HA’s CSS. Is that something you could handle?

Ronnie on November 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Obama and Bush make me miss Clinton, and I cannot believe I think that way.

HiJack on November 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I will ask this…What did we gain in Iraq?

William Eaton on November 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Dead muslims.

Ronnie on November 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM

arnold ziffel on November 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Dana Perino was NOT part of the problem, but part of the solution, who arrived too late. The real problem was the failure to respond to the critics in 2005, when Scott Duh McClellan was press secretary, who was probably worse than Jay Carney at that job.

If Bush had used his bully pulpit in 2005 and 2006 to tell the truth about Katrina and Iraq and his Social Security reform, he could have maintained the support he had in his first term. Unfortunately, Bush spent lots of time in 2005 traveling around the country making speeches, reaching thousands of people, while Democrats were out on TV lying to millions of people, who were convinced by their lies.

Steve Z on November 22, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Bush is surfacing again for 2 reasons:

1- To push amnesty,
2- To push Jeb as candidate in 2016.

NO and NO. Go back to retirement. You caused Obama to win, thanks for nothing.

stenwin77 on November 22, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Granddaughter. The baby is a girl.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2013 at 6:37 AM

would have been nice if W had picked a different VP in the 2nd term so
we would not have had McLame as a candidate.

conservative tarheel on November 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Miss Me Yet?

No! Sod off Bushie.

Mr. Arrogant on November 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM

ncconservative on November 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

That’s me. It may be rationalizing, but I blame most of the ‘negative’ issues on two things:

1. I think many advisors were putting politics before principles. I wonder how many conversations began with “I know you won’t like this, Mr. President, but this is the way it works and you must…” (Rove? Immigration?)

2. It was a critical mistake to turn-the-other cheek to the MSM. Getting a raw deal for Katrina and ‘Mission Accomplished’ are textbook cases. I think he was trying to grow his character by exercising certain principles that didn’t serve him well in battle.

Tsar of Earth on November 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM

…and Jeb.

Yes, there are things that concern me too. We need to move on from the Clinton/Bush dynasties.

But one anecdote for your consideration: I was in FL for 25 years. If you want to see an ‘effective executive in charge’ (aka ‘leader’), find some of his TV spots on days leading up to major hurricanes.

We liked him as Governor. He seemed more business-like than political.

Tsar of Earth on November 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM

What no story about how Chris Christie said we need to leave Obama alone and not make him a lame duck. You know because there is still work to be done. And you know we want Obama to be able to get work done, right? *face palm* I thought HA loved their Chris Christie stories. I think I saw that on Greta last night.

Also off topic, Greta had Allen West on and he was fantastic. I really like him. Wish he was still in congress.

magicbeans on November 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM

If the next president is to come from our pool of governors, I think it’d be nice to see John Kasich throw his hat in the ring; he’s managed Ohio well enough, and not only was he a long time Congressman from my district but also the chair of the Budget Committee when they came about as close to balancing the budget as this bunch can manage.

He did try to mirror Gov. Walker’s success with collective bargaining in Wisconsin but got hammered on what we called Issue 2. He’s phasing out personal income tax and estate tax, funding school vouchers, and is replacing the Department of [Job] Development with a private board

Having said that, he already made a primary run back in 2000 and it basically went nowhere; he dropped out, and I was stuck voting for Alan Keyes by the time the primary made it to Ohio. Also, he caved on the Medicaid expansion and he shows other signs of W-style “compassionate conservatism”. To wit: he is “bros” with Gov. Christie. So I’m not sure people in search of ideological purity will be super-excited to vote for him. But I’d take him over Christie or Romney, and he doesn’t have the kind of political “baggage” that Perry or Walker might carry after being demonized in the press. The one thing they’ll trot out against him is that he was “a Lehman Bros executive”, which is to say, the managing director of one local investment office.

The Schaef on November 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Yes I miss him.

Every president in our history has there good accomplishments and mistakes. The fundamental goal is to come out on the right side of the ledger.

As president, Mr. Bush was compassionate, thoughtful, tough and hard working. He never shirked responsibility or trampled over tradition. In his primary role as Commander and Chief he kept us safe and made the world a safer place for us. Time and history will show us those gains were only wasted after he left office.

We can and certainly will litigate Mr. Bush’s approach to the financial crisis and our growing debt. I would only say those became eminently destructive after he left. I won’t make excuses for why he did not see it coming or failed to suggest an alternate path. But thinking back to those time for perspective, we’ve always righted ourselves with time-tested measures. The problem is that since Mr. Bush left, we have seen none of those traditional remedies deployed- hence the historic destruction in the name of “change”.

If the events since 2008 don’t make you long for our traditions, governmental restraint, good economic times, productive jobs, freedom and a safer world for all American’s, all of which Mr. Bush embodied- you need to be a bit more reflective and perhaps less bitter. His time in office was right and just for the time he served. Is it the right remedy for these times or the future? Of course not and it’s not meant to be. That’s why we call it a nostalgic, melancholy reflection. Our needs today go far above and beyond what Mr. Bush represented then, and anyone opining we need more of that “now” is either too jaded or anachronistic to serve us well. We need a fresher more contemporary view that fits the enormous challenges we face today and those answers are not found in the past.

So I would conclusively say thank you Mr. President, and “no thank you” to anyone opining the key to our future somehow lies in recent days gone by.

Marcus Traianus on November 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I know he was a RINO, he was too moderate but I still love the guy. He has class and integrity, he’s a good Christian man and he loves Texas as much as I do.

God bless you Dubya

neyney on November 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Not for nothing, but that is W’s grandDAUGHTER with him in the picture.

PJ Emeritus on November 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Dead muslims.

Ronnie on November 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM

You do realize there are more cost effective ways to accomplish that. Plus it would save a lot of American soldiers lives who are now in graveyards.

It was Bush who called Islam a “Religion of Peace”. Bush entered Iraq to save Muslims and to make them civilized and free. To bring them the blessings of a democratic form of government. What a stupid and costly adventure. Islam and modern democratic style governments, including our own Republican system, don’t work together. Bush tried to make them work together by allowing the Iraqis to base their constitution off the Quran. So basically all those brave Americans died to establish an Islamic constitution in Iraq.

Iraq was a debacle and it is sad to say there are some establishment conservatives who still don’t get that. Which means they will do it again..,

William Eaton on November 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Let put this another way, an analogy…General Ambrose Burnside was a good man, nice, genial, etc.

But he sucked as a general and got a lot good soldiers killed…

To me that is George W. Bush. Nice guy, awful President, not as bad as Obama but big deal!

William Eaton on November 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I used to come to this website several times a day… now just a few times a week… because this piece of crap website locks up every time I visit. FIX THE DAMN WEBSITE!!!

AUTOPLAYING VIDEO ADS!
SHOCKWAVE ERRORS!
JAVA SCRIPT ERRORS!

Kaptain Amerika on November 22, 2013 at 7:17 PM

William Eaton on November 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Considering that Reagan the President failed to live up to the promise of Reagan the Governor and Speechmaker, brought us the immigration debacle of 1986, and doubled the national debt by failing to rein in Tip O’Neill’s spending; in your opinion, have we had ANY good Presidents in the last 100 years?

If your grading scale doesn’t allow anyone an “A”, it’s time that you take time to become a better grader. You need to educate yourself on the difficulties involved in being an “A”-rated President of a country of 315 million diverse people.

That was one of Dubya’s strengths, even if it hurt his legacy. He tried to lead the whole nation, including the people who hated him. Obama has never represented more than 100 million at any time, and he usually only cares about a fraction of that number.

rwenger43 on November 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Seriously, you people who think Bush was awful need to get some perspective.

Yes, there’s room to find fault. His absolute worst failing I believe was that he picked a VP who would help him in his administration, but who had no future as a leader of the Republican party. Which left the Republicans without a designated successor in 2008.

As for Iraq and Katrina, both of those are only disastrous in the minds of a media hell-bent on hurting the Republicans.

The media managed to smear Bush over Katrina, a hurricane, and over the failure of a Democratic governor and a Democratic mayor in Lousiana and New Orleans, respectively. Meanwhile, in next-door Mississippi, where the hurricane actually struck (although next-door Slidell, LA did get some damage) things were handled much better.

If the media could smear Bush as bad as they did over Katrina, and over Joe Wilson’s completely fictional claim that Bush lied about Iraq, then the real blame for Bush is that he didn’t fight back better.

And that was one of his flaws throughout his presidency. He tried to improve civility and work together with his political enemies, 90% of whom were only smiling as they looked for the best place to shove in the knife.

And fundamentally, he never really grasped the depths of progressivism, and how it made “movement conservatism” a necessity. And so he compromised, and gave away half of what the progressives demanded. And in their gratitude, they called him an extremist, and every other name they could think of.

Bush was a good man. I think the only reason we feel such deep disappointment is because we needed more than just a good man. We needed a man who believed that progressivism was wrong, and could explain why the conservative approach was better.

And I think you’ll have to admit, when you compare Bush to the Republican candidates before him and after him, that W beat all of them except Reagan.

Granted, that’s a low bar. After all, we’re comparing to Gerald Ford, Bush 41, Bob Dole, John McCain, and Mitt Romney. And is there any doubt that W was a better president than Feckless Carter, Liar Clinton and President Kickass? Or, for that matter, better than candidates Dukakis, Gore, and Kerry.

Still, there’s more that I could criticize about W, like the “compassionate conservative” nonsense.

Even so.

But here’s the irony of W: if he had been a more partisan man, the entire nation would have been better off.

There Goes the Neighborhood on November 23, 2013 at 1:04 AM