NC small business owner: ObamaCare is driving me to drink

posted at 4:41 pm on November 20, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

In their struggle to defend the ostensibly still-to-come merits of ObamaCare, Democrats are continuing to steamroll over the “anecdotal” economic concerns of individuals and small businesses with blithe assurances about ObamaCare oh-so-munificently requiring insurance companies to provide more fully comprehensive coverage. ‘Yes, you’ll probably have to pay a lot more for your policy, but who could possibly even want to decline a more complete cadre of benefits?’

…How about, the people for whom that makes zero economic sense, perhaps? At a House hearing on ObamaCare on Wednesday morning, the founder of early2surg, Sheila Salter, showcased a chart demonstrating the “$4,584 bite out of my business” she’s taking due to ObamaCare’s minimum-coverage requirements. The Free Beacon grabbed the vid:

SHEILA SALTER: When I hear people talk about oh, you know, go to the exchanges, shop, shop, shop. You have one plan, okay? That plan includes the benefits listed in the left-hand column. Now you can see Sheila’s plan. Sheila’s plan was the one that I chose. I chose my services. I’ve done that all these years. I chose those services, chose that deductible for $202 a month. Now, with Obamacare, I have to have those ten essential benefits. Now I challenge anybody in this room to look at the services that I selected for myself, noting that I’m 61. I know I don’t look it, and I have no children or history of alcohol or drug abuse. Yet, OK, because this is driving me to drink. But does anybody here really think that I need all the services on the left-hand column? I don’t think so.

ObamaCare is fraught with all kinds of opportunity costs for businesses that the law’s proponents seem determined to ignore or explain away as something that will result in a long-run benefit, but there are plenty of business owners that don’t happen to feel that way. On a somewhat more sober note, here’s another vid featuring a business owner from a forum at the Heritage Foundation on Tuesday, definitely worth the watch:

And sometimes, when things like this are constantly bombarding the small businesses of America, it’s just too much. And you think, “Why am I doing this?” and “What am I doing here?” But I have to look around and to remember I have 1,800 people who believe in this company, who need this work, who need these jobs. And this is a small thing, maybe, that people could think of, “Well, $5,000 for a menu board” or whatever. But it’s the added on regulations, it’s the added things that are constantly being thrown at us. And as a small business person that wants to keep going, it is really, really hard to do that.

Comments

Link to Sheila Salter’s company.

22044 on November 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Now, with Obamacare, I have to have those ten essential benefits. Now I challenge anybody in this room to look at the services that I selected for myself, noting that I’m 61. I know I don’t look it, and I have no children or history of alcohol or drug abuse. Yet, OK, because this is driving me to drink. But does anybody here really think that I need all the services on the left-hand column? I don’t think so.

Sheila, Obamacare is not nor has it ever been about what you need. It has always been about how much you need to pay in order to subsidise other people. The whole line about ‘substandard’ plans is just crap.

Resist We Much on November 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Just raise your prices.

/typical-economically-illiterate-liberal

CurtZHP on November 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

“Hey, you’re only 61. You’ve just waited a while to have kids. And by your own admission, you’re a burgeoning alcoholic. See, you need this comprehensive coverage.”
/Dems

Bitter Clinger on November 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

she’ll be taking it from all sides since she also appears to push medical care devices

DanMan on November 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Something to be greatful for in Obamacare!

Wander on November 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM

…and meanwhile…JugEars has golfed…how many rounds?

KOOLAID2 on November 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM

. Yet, OK, because this is driving me to drink.

Nov. 4, 2008. Was looking forward to switching back to lemonade.

rbj on November 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Drinking will just make it worse.

anotherJoe on November 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I’d rather have a Hot Rod Lincoln drive me to drinkin’ than Obamacare.

(Couldn’t resist)

Cleombrotus on November 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Once he starts paying for ObamaCare, he won’t have enough money left over to buy anything to drink.

VorDaj on November 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM

OK, yeah, like OK, I guess they couldn’t find someone with better public speaking skills. People say, oh just like, OK, perhaps you could use a written statement.

/yeah I’m a jerk

mankai on November 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Link to Sheila Salter’s company.

22044 on November 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM

…excellent Bishop……….and thanks for the link!

KOOLAID2 on November 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Tissue warning on second video. Heartbreaking.

rightside on November 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Nov. 4, 2008. Was looking forward to switching back to lemonade.

My birthday has fallen directly on the Presidential election day twice in my lifetime:

Nov. 4, 1980 – Reagan blasts Carter

Nov. 4, 2008 – Obama haunts America

Talk about a juxtaposition of birthday gifts.

Bitter Clinger on November 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM

North Carolina was in the confederacy… I’m just sayin’

mankai on November 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Clearly she is racist for not drinking, using drugs, and for not having children.

tommer74 on November 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Change in Obamacare approval (net points) since it launched:

Fox News: -11

Gallup: -12

Quinnipiac: -14

WaPo/ABC: -14

Rasmussen: -16

CBS: -22

Resist We Much on November 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Bitter Clinger on November 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Wow, talk about bipolar.

rbj on November 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Obamacare posts are driving me to drink.

gerrym51 on November 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Drinking will just make it worse.

anotherJoe on November 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

No, It makes you not mind remembering so much.
I gave it up and I’m bummed. I use to like my martinis or small glass of room temperature black rum. I can’t even drink so to not mind giving up drinking so much.

Dr. Frank Enstine on November 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM

tommer74 on November 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

What if she aborted them? Wouldn’t that off-set some of the other things and give her better liberal stats?

Dr. Frank Enstine on November 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM

The woman at Heritage said it all. We don’t need the government to force us to be good. We’re Americans!

PattyJ on November 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Wow, talk about bipolar.

rbj on November 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Yep.

Bitter Clinger on November 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM

OSHA, IRS, DOT, EPA, DOL, SBA, EEOC, DOJ….

Just one glance at the postings required to be on my small business wall. Each and every one requiring its own paperwork, filings, money, time and STRESS. (And don’t forget their counterparts at the state level as well.)

It becomes more of a headache (with less $ to show for it) every year.

MississippiMom on November 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Obamacare is designed to bankrupt state budgets…businesses…and the American Economy

From a Zero Hedge reader:

My company, based in California, employs 600. We used to insure about 250 of our employees. The rest opted out. The company paid 50% of their premiums for about $750,000/yr.

Under obamacare, none can opt out without penalty, and the rates are double or triple, depending upon the plan. Our 750k for 250 employees is going to $2 million per year for 600 employees.

By mandate, we have to pay 91.5% of the premium or more up from the 50% we used to pay.

Our employees share of the premium goes from $7/week for the cheapest plan to $30/week. 95% of my employees were on that plan. Remember, we used to pay 50% now we pay 91.5% and the premiums still go up that much!!

The cheapest plan now has a deductible of $6350! Before it was $150. Employees making $9 to $10/hr, have to pay $30/wk and have a $6350 deductible!!! What!!!!

They can’t afford that to be sure. Obamacare will kill their propensity to seek medical care. More money for less care? How does that help them?

Here is the craziest part. Employees who qualify for mediCAL (the California version of Medicare), which is most of my employees, will automatically be enrolled in the Federal SNAP program. They cannot opt out. They cannot decline. They will be automatically enrolled in the Federal food stamp program based upon their level of Obamacare qualification. Remember, these people work full time, living in a small town in California. They are not seeking assistance. It all seems like a joke. How can this be the new system?

Pelosi, pass the bill to find out what’s in it? Surprise! You’ve annihilated the working class.

workingclass artist on November 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Obama stole the cable TV companies strategy.

500 channels and nothing you want to watch.

Meremortal on November 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I don’t use 0bumblescare as an excuse to drink – but the drinking definitely helps me calm down every day after seeing the latest news….

“I don’t have a drinking problem, it’s the easiest thing I do…”

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM

ObamaCare is going to have a huge negative impact on the country, redirecting $billions from house hold purchases to paying for ObamaCare.
Recession mode for the next 10 years…

albill on November 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Obamacare is all about getting the young and the healthy to subsidize as many other people as possible. When they wake up to that Obamacare collapses.

Fred 2 on November 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM

OSHA, IRS, DOT, EPA, DOL, SBA, EEOC, DOJ….
It becomes more of a headache (with less $ to show for it) every year.
MississippiMom on November 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I got a letter from the CA “Board of Equalization” last month demanding I go through my business receipts to look for any un-paid sales tax from purchases to out of state businesses. Have to report for 2010, 2011, and 2012!
I spent 6 hours today going through all my business records for 2010 alone. I found 3 amazon purchases that amounted to $202 unpaid tax. With fines and interest it came to nearly $400.
So I spent 6 hours of my time to give the state $400 f-ing dollars. And I haven’t started on 2011 and 12.

I am so glad we decided to close the business this year. CA is a pathetic joke. I can’t wait to get he he’ll out of here.

oceansidecon on November 20, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Just raise your prices.

/typical-economically-illiterate-liberal

CurtZHP on November 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Maybe she should just do that for liberals…

“Before I can sell you that, I must ask your political affiliation. Liberal? That price will be… why yes, it’s 250% more than the prices listed. Well of course that’s fair, these are the increases passed on by liberal policies? Oh, you don’t want to pay that… why? Are you going to stand there and shirk your societal obligation to invest in the lives of hardworking employees? No? You’re going to be a cold-hearted poor-hating bastard? Yes? [mutters... typical liberal!]“

dominigan on November 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM

That Heritage Foundation video… wow. Darn allergies.

Hill60 on November 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Cleombrotus on November 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Commander Cody – is that you?

Hill60 on November 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Bureaucrats aren’t interested in the problems of small businesses. They’re interested in keeping their jobs. Even if it means issuing meaningless and worthless “regulations”.

GarandFan on November 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Visit at your own risk.

Schadenfreude on November 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Drinking will just make it worse.
anotherJoe on November 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I must respectfully disagree.
This is a good time to post (again) my favorite Cliff Clavinism:

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I’d rather have a Hot Rod Lincoln drive me to drinkin’ than Obamacare.

(Couldn’t resist)

Cleombrotus on November 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

But, per the song, it would be your son driving his Hot Rod Lincoln, not yours. Just sayin’

Freelancer on November 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I’d rather have a Hot Rod Lincoln drive me to drinkin’ than Obamacare.

(Couldn’t resist)

Cleombrotus on November 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Freelancer on November 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

My son did that to me – but it was a hot rod 74 Camaro we built while he was in high school. 90 in a 45 one night on spring break freshman year of college, $500 fine, plea bargained DOWN to reckless driving with 8 points on his license (lose your license at 9 points). I’ve been drinkin ever since…

OK – I was drinkin before that too, but still….

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 10:46 PM

made a fortune with my kool aid stock….same with my orville redenbacher…. now I guess i outta buy jack daniels

thanks Barry

roflmmfao

donabernathy on November 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Props to the lady in the second video. An unsung hero, putting a whole lot people ahead of herself, and without any sense of entitlement or grievance. People like her are what has made this country great, and are the reason why this country will get back on track someday. Courageous and gorgeous.

smellthecoffee on November 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM