Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on November 19, 2013 by Allahpundit

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is no fan of President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act. He didn’t accept an expansion of Medicaid or set up a federal healthcare exchange. But he has a message for other Republicans who may be looking to exploit the White House’s political misfortunes: “Don’t spike the ball.”

“In the end, it gives me no comfort that there are people in my state who will fall through the cracks because of the failure of the federal government kind of puts them in no-mans land,” Walker said, “I think as Republicans, people across America are going to expect us to be as disappointed as they are.”

“I think Republicans need to be careful so that in no way do we look like we’re piling on,” he continued. “Because if you do, my guess is the next move on the left will be to try and seize on it if that were to happen, look, somehow we sabotaged this, that we’re the ones to blame. It’s a ridiculous intellectual argument, but from an emotional standpoint, you can see how it could happen.”

***

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) says he supports a pathway to citizenship for immigrants living in the country illegally as part of an overhaul of the nation’s immigration system.

“If people want to come here and work hard and benefit, I don’t care whether they come from Mexico or Ireland or Germany or Canada or South Africa or anywhere else,” Walker said Tuesday during an interview with the Daily Herald Media Editorial Board of Wisconsin. “I want them here.”

Walker was then asked about the estimated 11 million immigrants living in the country illegally. The editorial board asked if he could “envision a world where with the right penalties and waiting periods and meet the requirements where those people could get citizenship?”

“Sure,” Walker responded. “I mean I think it makes sense.”

***

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is an eagle scout and a potential 2016 Republican presidential candidate. One thing he isn’t is a college graduate, and that may soon change.

Walker left Marquette University in his senior year before finishing his degree. In a meeting with reporters last week hosted by National Review, Walker explained the surprising gap in his resume. In his second and third years at school, Walker worked part-time for IBM in Milwaukee. Shortly before senior year, the local IBM office was relocated to Illinois, but Walker’s client, the American Red Cross, offered him a job, which turned out to be full time.

“The reason I went to college, in large part, was not just to get an education for an education’s sake, but to get a job,” Walker said of his decision to drop out of school. At first he tried to be a part time student, but quickly the births of his children took that option off the table.

The missing bachelors may seem odd, but it’s one reason Walker’s appeal in the GOP is only rising.

***

“I was asked by Jon Karl [of ABC News] who my ideal candidate would be,” Walker said at the gathering known as the New York Meeting. “I didn’t rule people out. I said to me, I think it should be a governor. … If we’re going to beat somebody like Hillary Clinton, we’ve got to have somebody from outside of Washington who’s got a proven record of reform, and frankly to me that could be any one of the 30 Republican governors.”

Walker also took a shot at the last Republican nominee, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, when a panelist asked how Republicans could win if an economic message like Romney’s wasn’t enough in 2012. Walker said that Romney “would have been a spectacular president” but that his message failed to break through.

“If Mitt Romney ran on an economic message, he could have fooled me, because I didn’t hear it in Wisconsin,” Walker said to scattered applause.

***

If you are a Republican and you like New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, then you probably already have your candidate for the 2016 presidential campaign. If you do not like Christie, then your candidate for 2016 is Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker

“[N]o one checks as many boxes as Walker does,” as an Iowa GOP strategist puts it. Walker has near hero status in the grassroots for taking on Wisconsin’s public sector unions. Cruz talks about taking stands on principle, but he lost his fight. Walker took a stand, was targeted by the full force of the Democratic machine, and stayed alive. He won a recall election with a larger margin than his original victory. He raised $30 million for that race, so he knows how to tap wealthy donors. Social conservatives also consider him one of their own for his pro-life views and his pedigree: His father was a Baptist minister.

Jindal and Perry have supporters in conservative circles, but Jindal can’t match Walker’s union-slaying story and Perry’s accomplishments won’t help him overcome the memories of his disastrous 2012 run. If the incentive is to pick a Christie alternative who can survive, it also helps if the candidate comes from a battleground state—even better if they come from a swing state in the Midwest. Walker also brings helpful connections to Iowa, that early caucus state. Besides governing in nearby Wisconsin, Walker grew up in Iowa. Right now GOP operatives describe the competition in the Hawkeye State as one between Rand Paul (whose forces control the state party) and Sen. Ted Cruz (who excites the base).

***

Beyond that, he’ll have to decide if he wants to go up against Ryan, should his longtime friend and ally decide to run. This seems even more improbable than a Jeb Bush vs. Sen. Marco Rubio face-off. If Walker decides to go forward, he’ll need to figure out if he can compete for fundraising dollars with such figures as Christie, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), all of whom have much higher visibility and established national fundraising networks. He’s unlikely to be able to match these contenders up front, so like many candidates (e.g. Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum) he will have to do well in Iowa (certainly possible since he is right next door and a household name) to propel him into New Hampshire and beyond. That means a lot of time in a neighboring state. Beyond that (quite a bit, I grant you), he needs to put in place a presidential campaign-level team and get up to speed on foreign policy.

But the question he and every other candidate will have to answer is: Why him? “Everyone’s second choice” was not a winning formula for former governor Tim Pawlenty. And chances are there will be more than one governor in the race, so executive achievement may be necessary but not sufficient to put Walker into the top tier. It’s hard to slice up the electorate so finely as to separate himself from other contenders. The more-conservative-than-Christie-but-less-than-Perry governor? I’ve yet to find many (any?) party activists who don’t like Walker, but goodwill will wear off quickly if he doesn’t have a robust campaign and message.

***

Christie doesn’t have the implicit trust of the GOP’s conservative base, so his hopes rest on reassuring them and arguing he’s the most plausible candidate because of his successes in a blue state.

But that argument will be a lot more difficult to make if Walker enters the race…

Not only can Walker cite executive experience under tremendous odds, he is still revered by a broad swath of conservatives for his bruising battle with the Wisconsin teachers’ unions over his education reforms in a way that Christie is not.

On a gut level, most conservatives would say of Walker that he is “one of us” — that he thinks and governs like a conservative rather than being a candidate who merely spouts conservative talking points when it suits his political ambitions…

It’s too far in advance to be anointing frontrunners in the 2016 presidential race. But if Walker runs, he could prove to be Christie’s worst nightmare.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Do you like the newest Opera version? I tried it and don’t, and noticed a lot of other Opera users don’t like it much either.

Firefox has a new UI planned, making it look almost identical to Google Chrome, but the backlash from users is fierce, enough to make the developers change their plans.

Anti-Control on November 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I used to care about this stuff.

Whatever works for y’all. I have to open all flash and youtube crap in IE. I use opera across the desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone. It isn’t perfect. There was a time I took myriad precautions to not be tracked, followed, hacked, and now I just don’t care as long as the pages I want to access load fast.

I’m no leet hacker, and the days of believing i was somewhere near the leading edge of the tech bellcurve are long gone. I’m freely available to be gulaged and persecuted. Come at me bro.

Murphy9 on November 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM

The Monkees – “Acapulco Sun”

Anti-Control on November 20, 2013 at 2:32 AM

The Wondermits (Brian Wilson)-Mexican Girl

Happy Brian!

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 2:32 AM

PolAgnostic on November 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM

…..you might enjoy “The Soul Of A New Machine” by Tracy Kidder

williamg on November 20, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I used to care about this stuff.

Load times are my main concern, too, which is why I like to block as many ads as I can. I have never been much concerned with being tracked.

I happen to like FF by far the best because of how configurable it is. The new UI was going to make it more like Google Chrome, in every bad way…I find GC to be an unpleasant browser, and also think that Opera took a step backwards with its redesign.

Yep, these are personal preferences, and I don’t care if others agree with me or not (I just know that a lot do!)

I’m freely available to be gulaged and persecuted. Come at me bro.

Murphy9 on November 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM

lol

Anti-Control on November 20, 2013 at 2:48 AM

…and like that,

equanimous on November 20, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Look for the girl
With the sun in her eyes
And she’s gone!

Anti-Control on November 20, 2013 at 2:56 AM

“Primitive Love” Jayne Mansfield dance sequence

The 5.6.7.8′s – “I Walk Like Jayne Mansfield”

Anti-Control on November 20, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Gilby Clark – “Tijuana Jail”

Anti-Control on November 20, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Iranian Foreign Minister under heavy medication

To advance, to make progress, to secure peace, to go forward

Hmmm…where have I heard that Forward slogan before?

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 3:26 AM

If this is an accurate report, he’s not the one.

dogsoldier on November 20, 2013 at 4:51 AM

I liked the way Walker stood up to the unions. Huge. Of course, so did Christie. Yet like most of us here I take serious issue with his rino call for amnesty. What’s inexplicable for a rino, though, is the extreme position he takes on abortion, not allowing exceptions for rape or incest and even not allowing exceptions for the life of the mother. Um, ok. Apparently it’s true. With this position Scott Walker would be crucified by the opposition. As Christie’s pro-life position allows exceptions for rape etc, if you are dead set on going with a rino, it stands to reason that Christie would be the better more electable choice.

anotherJoe on November 20, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Really????

Let’s get thru 2014 first mmmkay?

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 5:21 AM

NYT: The Obamacare Crisis:

In addition, the Affordable Care Act can be construed as a transfer of benefits from Medicare, which serves an overwhelmingly white population of the elderly – 77 percent of recipients are white — to Obamacare, which will serve a population that is 54.7 percent minority. Over 10 years, the Affordable Care Act cuts $455 billion from the Medicare budget in order to help pay for Obamacare.

Those who think that a critical mass of white voters has moved past its resistance to programs shifting tax dollars and other resources from the middle class to poorer minorities merely need to look at the election of 2010, which demonstrated how readily this resistance can be used politically. The passage of the A.C.A. that year forced such issues to the fore, and Republicans swept the House and state houses across the country. The program’s current difficulties have the clear potential to replay events of 2010 in 2014 and possibly 2016.

The dysfunctional A.C.A. portal is not the only liability for Obamacare…

anotherJoe on November 20, 2013 at 5:48 AM

mika not too happy reporting that obama KNEW about the website problems before the roll out…

not too happy at all

own it!

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 6:09 AM

rattner shilling for obamacare….

its only 1.3% who will have to pay more, just 4 million people…meh
-rattner

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Panic

First Lady Michelle Obama told attendees at a fundraiser Monday it’s critical West Virginia Secretary of State Natalie Tennant becomes the state’s next U.S. senator.

That’s not an endorsement, a Tennant campaign spokeswoman said Tuesday, and further tried to distance Tennant from the deeply unpopular Obama administration.

“So it is critical that we elect Michelle Nunn, Alison Grimes, Natalie Tennant. It is critical we get them to the Senate,” Obama said, mentioning two other potential female Democrat Senate candidates.

“What the First Lady said is not an endorsement,” Duvall said in an email.

Duvall didn’t elaborate about Obama’s statement, other than to say, “This race is about West Virginia, not Washington.”

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Thanks to all who post here early in the morning!

This is where I come to start the day and see which way the political winds are blowing.

esr1951 on November 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM

walker going on morning joe this am….what will mika ask him? no joe this am

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 6:20 AM

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM

heh

esr1951 on November 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 6:22 AM

So Jay Rockefeller is not running again? His wife is Sharon Percy. I remember when her sister Valerie was murdered on the Chicago north shore. I think that murder is still not solved.

esr1951 on November 20, 2013 at 6:24 AM

As much as I want to build an impenetrable border fence and send all illegals back to whatever cesspool they crawled out of and through to get to this once great country, I’m fully cognizant of the fact that neither will ever happen. Sure, a fence may be built but it will not likely be impenetrable. The 11 million illegal alien number is bogus! There are probably that many in SoCal alone. And that’s not including the ones that came here illegally but popped out a few anchor babies once they arrived. But we have to face the facts. We do not have the means and manpower to forcibly and effectively remove 10, 20, 30however many million that are here illegally. I don’t necessarily have a problem with someone saying that there should be a pathway to citizenship if we find the right punishment and penalties for their actions first. I’d like to hear what Gov. Walker thinks those punishments and penalties should be before I write him off. Before we simply brandish him as an amnesty supporter and declare him dead, shouldn’t we at least find out what his pathway looks like? I mean, c’mon! I’d gladly build a pathway for a gang of psycho, zombie illegal aliens to my granddaughter’s bedroom and then put claymores, landmines, broken glass, hot coals, catapults filled with saw blades, nails and spikes, cauldrons of hot lava, and a gun wielding grandpa with 20-15 vision and a .308 and all the ammunition one could muster along the way. Does that make me a zombie loving, amnesty shill too?

rmel80 on November 20, 2013 at 6:26 AM

walker going on morning joe this am….what will mika ask him? no joe this am

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Morning Joe? Never heard of it.

Myron Falwell on November 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM

walker going on morning joe this am….what will mika ask him? no joe this am

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Easy!

1. Why do you hate poor people by refusing to expand Medicaid so that even more people can get full benefit from Obamacare?

2. Why does a hunter need more than one bullet to shoot a deer?

3. Tell us how your ideas on a path to citizenship for undocumented workers (Mika would never use the legally and morally correct term of illegal aliens).

4. And time permitting, is there a civil war going on within the GOP and which side are you on.

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Looks like an endorsement, sounds like and endorsement. It’s an endorsement.

But the crux of the matter is that the vile woman probably doesn’t have much of a fan base outside of the stupid people that vote for her lazy stupid husband. And, considering the rat-eared bastard keeps closing down their sources of employment, that isn’t a large constituency. They need swing voters and to keep traditional Democrats on the reservation and you don’t do that by getting an endorsement from the filthy shaved Yeti or her equally despicable husband.

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! And, Trolls. Hardly a palate cleanser…but, here goes…

Not God bless America, God d@#n America. That’s in the Bible, for killing innocent people. God d@#n America for treating her citizens as less than human. God d@#n America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme. The United States government has failed the vast majority of her citizens of African descent. Think about this, think about this.” – Rev. Jeremiah Wright, 4/13/03, Pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ and friend of Barack and Michelle Obama for over 20 years.

My take: Michelle Obama, “There But For the Grace of God Go I”. Invoking God to Sell Obamacare

kingsjester on November 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Myron Falwell on November 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM

good ones HN

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 6:49 AM

rmel80 on November 20, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Why do illegal aliens need a “pathway to citizenship?” Why not a pathway to guest worker? Let them fess up that they don’t care about our laws, charge them a fee for applying for a guest worker card, and let them work here. But no citizenship unless they do it the right way.

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM

kingsjester on November 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM

great take KJ…

read it folks!

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM

kingsjester on November 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM

The real and only God or the rat-eared version in the White House?

Seriously, when the lazy stupid one was reciting the PC version of the Gettysburg Address, he paused where “under God” was supposed to go. I have to wonder if he really wanted to say “this nation, under me….”

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM

That’s what I ask. :)

kingsjester on November 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM

John Kerry Repudiates the Monroe Doctrine

In the early days of our republic, the United States made a choice about its relationship with Latin America. President James Monroe, who was also a former Secretary of State, declared that the United States would unilaterally, and as a matter of fact, act as the protector of the region. The doctrine that bears his name asserted our authority to step in and oppose the influence of European powers in Latin America. And throughout our nation’s history, successive presidents have reinforced that doctrine and made a similar choice.

“Today, however, we have made a different choice. The era of the Monroe Doctrine is over.

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM

I am speechless.

esr1951 on November 20, 2013 at 6:59 AM

It seems to me that we have more pressing problems that should be addressed before making 20 – 30 million illegal immigrants citizens, no?

What is it with these Republicans?

Cleombrotus on November 20, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Breitbart commentary headline by Representative Lamar Smith is priceless:

Mr. President, Tear Down This Website

Given that Drudge had the story that a guy in Colorado was unable to get Obamacare but his 14-year-old Yorkie, Baxter, managed to get coverage, Rep. Smith has a point!

There is no way that Obamacare was ready on 1 October and the longer the administration refuses to fire anybody or admit the obvious, the more they look like the liars they are.

And why hasn’t the government gone out to recoup any of that money that Mooch’s crony got for this worthless website?

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Great column today, KJ. They must really be desperate if they’re sending Moochelle out there.

Naturally Curly on November 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Naturally Curly on November 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

Exactly right.

kingsjester on November 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Nearly 100,000 have enrolled in coverage on Healthplanfinder

The number includes 86,657 people who have enrolled in Medicaid and 11,742 who have purchased a qualified health plan,

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I am speechless.

esr1951 on November 20, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Yep. These people are crazy.

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 7:19 AM

They must really be desperate if they’re sending Moochelle out there.

Naturally Curly on November 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

What else they got? Have you seen a single positive story about Obamacare?

Sebelius has no credibility.

They’ve just admitted that they haven’t even finished writing the back end of a website that was supposed to have been running 51 days ago and has been promised to be fully functional in just over a week. Which means that nobody has actually gone the whole way and purchased insurance through the website.

Hill Democrats are ready to bolt.

Those trying to enroll are few and far between and most of those are not the kind that will be forced to pay more into the system than they want to take out.

Jay Carney is practically in tears on a daily basis.

So…… Why not try a “hail Mary” and throw the shaved Yeti out there to garner whatever good will she can among the stupid parasite class?

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Nearly 100,000 have enrolled in coverage on Healthplanfinder

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM

But how many of them have paid? The math on this is still way too upside down.

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Good morning night owls, and early morning risers:

First lady rallies on Obamacare: ‘There but for the grace of God go I’
The president has dispatched first lady Michelle Obama to rally Democrats around his beleaguered Obamacare which she has boiled down to one religious phrase: “There but for the grace of God go I.” At a New York City fundraiser for Senate Democrats Monday, the first lady opened with a long defense of Obamacare, suggesting her audience lives by the principle that everyone should have… LINK

My Response:

Rovin • an hour ago −
Sorry, I didn’t read all of the 2600+ comments, and it could have been said before: but, I’ll wager Mrs. Obama isn’t very proud of her country right now. One has to wonder if she even “gets it” that millions of Americans aren’t very proud of the leadership or the direction/ideology her husband, (and the liberal progressives) have been shoving down the throats of this society. Think about it. What was portrayed as a policy to provide “affordable” health care to the masses, has turned out to be a Federally Mandated directive that comes with fines,taxes, and serious penalties for all that do not comply. The phrase “freedom of choice” was completely eliminated under this law. The fact that the entire law has now been exposed/promoted under the predication of a lie, “if you like what you have, you can keep it”, undermines the credibility of our President, and every Democrat who repeated this egregious deception. If Mrs. Obama wants to inject God into the conversation, she (and her husband), should first seek forgiveness for deceiving its people, who rely on an honest and truthful government, that our President promised to “faithfully execute” in his oath of office.

Rovin on November 20, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Breaking- CBS Poll, 63% disapprove of Obamacare. No wonder the left has suddenly decided to call it the ACA again.

Essentially the Dems have had about seven weeks to get their act together and haven’t done it at all. Look for mass defections of Dems scared about their political futures if they continue to cheerlead for Obama and his healthcare plan.

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Ok walker actually did pretty well against the mj crew

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 7:31 AM

great take KJ…

read it folks!

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Bravo KJ……well done.

Rovin on November 20, 2013 at 7:32 AM

+1 rovin

cmsinaz on November 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Rovin on November 20, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Hey, Obama said he was sorry that we were stupid enough to believe his promises for the last three years. What more do you want? /

Seriously, a heartfelt apology followed by substantive changes to Obamacare (meaning repeal it and start anew) would be a good first step but I don’t think it is in the DNA of the lazy stupid coward to ever admit a mistake, let alone atone for them.

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Survey: Docs don’t like Obamacare

Most physicians didn’t like Obamacare when Congress passed the health-care reform law in 2010, and they still don’t like it, according to a nationwide survey released Tuesday.
Of the 3,072 practicing physicians in all 50 states who completed the survey, conducted Nov. 8-12, 59 percent said they opposed the Affordable Care Act (ACA) at the time Congress was debating and adopting the legislation, while only 26 percent supported the measure.
Amid the current wave of negative publicity surrounding the rocky rollout of the program, 61 percent of the physicians said they have a worse opinion of Obamacare now than they did back in 2010, while just 31 percent have not changed their opinion and only 8 percent said they have a better opinion of the law.
Among other results of the survey, 80 percent of physicians said they believe patients will pay more for health care under the new law, while 76 percent said overall health-care costs would increase.
Sixty percent of the survey respondents said the Affordable Care Act would hurt the quality of patient care, while 57 percent said the law would negatively impact their treatment of patients.

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Rovin on November 20, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Thank you, my friend!

kingsjester on November 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Nearly 100,000 have enrolled in coverage on Healthplanfinder

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM

It would be interesting to know how many of the 11,742 who have “purchased” a health plan are planning to “pay” for their purchase with a big fat subsidy check from the U.S. Treasury.

Given that 86% of the first sign-ups are people poor enough to qualify for Medicaid, it stands to reason that a majority of the people who “purchased” a plan are also poor enough to qualify for large subsidies.

AZCoyote on November 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Just seven percent of Americans think the Affordable Care Act is working well and should be kept in place as it is. Far more, 48 percent, think there are some good things in the law, but changes are needed to make it work better, and another 43 percent think the law needs to be repealed entirely.

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM

To all Hotairians: Put this one into your archives for future use.

List: The 27 Senate Democrats Who Lied To Americans About Keeping Their Health Plans Under Obamacare…

Examples:

SEN. HARRY REID (D-Nev.): “In fact, one of our core principles is that if you like the health care you have, you can keep it.” (Sen. Reid, Congressional Record, S.8642, 8/3/09)

SEN. RICHARD DURBIN: “We believe — and we stand by this — if you like your current health insurance plan, you will be able to keep it, plain and simple, straightforward.” (Sen. Durbin, Congressional Record, S.6401, 6/10/09)

SEN. CHUCK SCHUMER (D-NY): “If you like your insurance, you keep it.” (U.S. Senate, Finance Committee, Bill Mark-Up, 9/24/09)

SEN. PATTY MURRAY (D-Wash.): “Again, if you like what you have, you will be able to keep it. Let me say this again: If you like what you have, when our legislation is passed and signed by the President, you will be able to keep it.” (Sen. Murray, Congressional Record, S.6400, 6/10/09)

The Democratic Party MUST eat these words!!!

Rovin on November 20, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Rovin on November 20, 2013 at 7:43 AM

kcewa on November 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM

CBSNEWS POLL: OBAMA CRASHES TO 37%

I’m guessing this may be a topic of discussion around the water cooler this morning. It definitely will spike the need for oxygen among Hill Dems hyperventilating.

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I don’t like Walker paying lip service to the “path to citizenship” nonsense, but I would vote for him if he were the GOP nominee.

I can’t say the same for Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, Mike Huckabee, or Rick Santorum (big-government Dem-lites or big-government socons…IOW, big government either way).

DRayRaven on November 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM

DRayRaven on November 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Lip service is fine but he means it and I have a problem with that.

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM

If this is an accurate report, he’s not the one.

dogsoldier on November 20, 2013 at 4:51 AM

He’s not too interested in “right to work” legislation either…calls it a distraction.

workingclass artist on November 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM

DRayRaven on November 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Sad to say, I’m going to have to vote for any of those people you mentioned if they get the GOP nomination. As ALWAYS either a Democrat or a Republican will win and I don’t ascribe to the theory that a RINO is just as bad or worse than a Democrat. Sorry, I’ve had to endure too many Democrats to fall for that one. It’s not about me making myself feel good by stroking my principles and letting a Democrat win. It’s always been and always will be about picking the lesser of two weevils (to quote Patrick O’Brian)

rhombus on November 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM

“But we also understand one simple principle — that there but for the grace of God go I; that in the blink of an eye, any of us — any of us — could be faced with a terrible diagnosis. Any of us could be injured in a horrible accident. Any of us could lose the job we count on to support our family — any of us,” she said.

All of that is true, Mrs. Obama. But the problem with your argument is the fact that Obamacare does absolutely nothing to make things better, and in fact, it actually makes them considerably worse.

Obamacare was sold to the public as a way to address the problem of the uninsured. We were told that having millions of uninsured was a moral outrage. However, the government’s own projections show that, even if Obamacare were to be fully implemented, there would still be 30 million Americans who were uninsured.

And expanding Medicaid is no answer either. Study after study has shown that Medicaid patients have worse healthcare outcomes than patients with no health insurance at all. That is because the government reimbursement rates for Medicaid are so low that no competent doctors will take Medicaid patients, so these patients end up getting treated by quacks and frauds, when they can get treated at all.

And now, thanks to Obamacare, even Americans who can afford to buy their own health insurance are going to be paying more, and getting less, for it. Contrary to Barry Obama’s repeated promises, studies show that Obamacare is increasing the average American’s health insurance premiums by more than 40%. And because of the higher deductibles in Obamacare policies, more Americans will be facing financial ruin if they happen to receive a terrible diagnosis or get injured in a horrible accident.

Making quality medical care more affordable for more people is a laudable goal. But the undeniable fact is that Obamacare does not accomplish that goal in any way, shape, or form. Obamacare, with its multiple mandates, taxes, fees, and layers of government bureaucracy, makes medical care more expensive than ever for the vast majority of Americans. That is why Obamacare must be repealed. It is morally indefensible to allow this law to stand.

AZCoyote on November 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM

rhombus on November 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I’m so disgusted with what we call the “Republican Establishment” and their penchant for 1) caving to Democrats and 2) foisting “electable” moderates on us who inevitably go on to lose that I’m unwilling to hold my nose one more time to vote for someone I detest nearly as much as the Democrat he’s running against.

I’ve held my nose in seven presidential elections already. Doing so an eighth time is out of the question – especially if we wind up with a backstabbing traitor like Christie as the nominee.

DRayRaven on November 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I still like Perry. He’s the most anti-Obama. He can run on “I also inherited a Bush economy”. No Obamacare Medicaid expansion and no Common Core – (Obamacore). Obamacore is bubbling up to be a major ballot issue. Texas vs. Washington DC…simple as that.

monalisa on November 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM

” President Obama’s relationship with congressional Democrats has worsened to an unprecedented low, Democratic aides say.

They are letting it be known that House and Senate Democrats are increasingly frustrated, bitter and angry with the White House over ObamaCare’s botched rollout, and that the president’s mea culpa in a news conference last week failed to soothe any ill will.

Sources who attended a meeting of House chiefs of staff on Monday say the room was seething with anger over the immense damage being done to the Democratic Party and talk was of scrapping rollout events for the Affordable Care Act.

“Here we are, we’re supposed to be selling this to people, and it’s all screwed up,” one chief of staff ranted. “This either gets fixed or this could be the demise of the Democratic Party.

“It’s probably the worst I’ve ever seen it,” the aide said of the recent mood on Capitol Hill. “It’s bad. It’s really bad.”

workingclass artist on November 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM

monalisa on November 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Yep!

Obamacore is a big problem.

Texas didn’t sign onto it but it still creeps into the schools because it’s marxism in all the text books sold to school districts.

So even if your state refused it as bad policy the bad teaching is still in the books states buy.

It’s a mess.

workingclass artist on November 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

monalisa on November 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Perry offers a successful anti-obama alternative.

Texas has done alright despite Obama.

workingclass artist on November 20, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Perry is my preferred candidate, as well.

DRayRaven on November 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Rovin on November 20, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Well, she has to add God back into her speeches as Barry keeps deleting Him from other’s.

But, it’s not a controversy because he chose an earlier draft that conveniently didn’t use the phrase, uh huh. (The president does whatever Ken Burns tells him to do, uh huh.)

Fallon on November 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Heh, Scott, they’ve already accused us of sabotaging Obamacare by lack of support, or alternatively saying Obamacare is the Republican plan! Go for the jugular!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle. It is your killer instinct which must be harnessed if you expect to survive in combat. Your rifle is only a tool. It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead marines and then you will be in a world of shit because marines are not allowed to die without permission. Do you maggots understand?

claudius on November 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I would think most Conservatives would support a ‘path to citizenship’ for the illegals that are already here.
It’s called: Get to the back of the line.
Also, I would want legislation that treats them as convicted felons: not eligible to vote… ever.

Dexter_Alarius on November 20, 2013 at 9:16 AM

He needs to work on his amnesty position. People who come here illegally don’t need a pathway to anything except going home and applying for a legal way to come here. They are here and working because there aren’t jobs for them in their home countries. How can their countries improve conditions if all their hardest workers leave? I’m not sure a lot of them want to be citizens. Look at all the hoops we have to jump through for the current regime. Why would you want to be a part of this.

Kissmygrits on November 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM

kingsjester on November 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM
….good…good….very good!

KOOLAID2 on November 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM

At this point, isn’t the term “pathway to citizenship” just an expression, like “coming out of the shadows? I’m not saying that I’m for granting citizenship at all. But, I do believe that there is a way that everyone can all move on with their lives here. Citizenship doesn’t mean they get the right to vote. Ex-cons are still citizens after having that right stripped from them. I believe that any GOP/Libertarian supported legislation should make it clear what rights as citizens any illegal aliens could enjoy and voting definitely should not be one of them. The Dems and the media (BIRM, I know) will say that we are being racist. I say, “Let them, they will anyway, citizenship or no!” But that’s where we turn the tides on them by using “the law of the land” defense the left recently decided that they love while expressing that “punishing those that are here illegally is in accordance with our immigration laws and they are just as guilty as anyone else that has committed a crime and found guilty.” We remove the threat of jail time and/or deportation as an olive branch towards crafting a deal with the exception of the dangerous criminals. That is something that is done every single day in nearly every legal jurisdiction in the country. It may not be perfect, by any stretch, but these people are here and we won’t get rid of them by mass deportation. The only way we could ever accomplish that is if we repeal the 22nd Amendment and give Obama a few more cracks at the complete destruction of the economy. He’s off to a pretty good start, but even the SCOAMF couldn’t do it all in 8 years and he’s really trying!

rmel80 on November 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Why change anything about immigration now? It is working bad now, but changing it will not make it work any better. The problem is a government (us – the people) that is unable and unwilling to do what is necessary to correct the problem. Collectively, as a people, we don’t know and we don’t care. We walk around with our i-devices stuck under our noses, oblivious to what is really going on. Is there someone we can just surrender to and get it over with?

newpine on November 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM

What is it with these Republicans?

Cleombrotus on November 20, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Cronyism.

FloatingRock on November 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I don’t know if anyone posted Colonel Allen West’s Gettysburg Address Speech, but I posted it on the Gettysburg thread.

Lead in: Therefore, since America is lacking a leader to address the nation on this momentous day, I decided to write and share with you all a modern Gettysburg Address:

It is awesome.

bluefox on November 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Thank you!

kingsjester on November 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM

To Axe and Sophie;

Thanks for letting me know ya’all was foolin’ around! :)

Now go on and have a beautiful day ‘k!? Good

Scrumpy on November 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I’d say it’s more like 3 weeks (the 15th, when payments must be received to guarantee coverage by Jan. 1.)

Happy Nomad on November 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

This manDumbocrat-caused disaster is costing us billions of dollars, and untold anxiety & pain to millions – I think political/economic reality will be forcing the Deums, including the Preezy himself, to repeal this, by Dec. 15…we shall see.

Anti-Control on November 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM

HN, right before I hit “Submit,” I noticed I misread your “seven weeks” statement. Sorry about that.

Anti-Control on November 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM