“Walking Dead” grumble thread: Noted psychotic emerges as show’s most sympathetic character

posted at 8:31 pm on November 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

Spend too much time around the Governor and he’ll try to kill you. Spend too much time around Rick and you’ll want to kill yourself.

You’re better off taking your chances with Eyepatch, no?

Any episode that strays from the main group is a good episode, ergo last night’s was a good episode. Lots of nice touches — the “Brian Heriot” stuff on the side of the barn, the pathos of the nursing home zombies, and the Governor’s roll in the hay with one of his new wards, a rare concession to the fact that there’d probably be a lot of carpe-diem nookie in a world as lonely as Zombie Earth. (As I recall, the only spur-of-the-moment sex on the show that didn’t lead to something more was Andrea’s afternoon delight with Shane in the car.) I can’t decide, though, whether his backstory is too cliched and underdeveloped to make him truly sympathetic or not cliched enough to spoil a character who, unlike most of the others, seems to have more than one emotion. Nearly everyone on the show is damaged or crippled from having lost a loved one, yet only the Governor became a warlord because of it, for whatever inexplicable reason. (My sense of him is that, before the zompocalypse, he was probably an executive at an insurance company or something.) His absolute power over Woodbury drove him mad, but that was a fait accompli; that’s always what happens in drama when someone attains absolute power. He’s basically following a Darth Vader story arc — starts off good, is seduced into running an evil empire by his rage and grief over the death of a beloved, then redeems himself by rescuing his (or “his”) child. At least it’s an arc, though, which is more than the stiffs in the main group can say.

I figure we’re destined now to see the Governor die either by sacrificing himself to a zombie horde in order to save the little girl (“Megan, help me take this patch off”) or being impaled by a revenge-minded Michonne Skywalker. He’d have to turn bad again for the latter to happen, though. In this show, much like in pro wrestling, “good guys” don’t fight each other.

Comments

I’m still waiting for Darryl to kill Rick.
Get to it already!

AllahsNippleHair on November 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Exempli gratia, our Dear Leader.

Valiant on November 18, 2013 at 8:43 PM

So the writers can write character development in a time span less than 13 episodes. Who knew?

The Governor doesn’t have my sympathy yet, but he is sympathetic. They humanized him, which is good. They still need to either explain away how he massacred his people or have him do something else psychotic to be credible, however.

I agree with Allah that anything outside the prison seems like an improvement. It’s getting awfully slooooow in there. It’s like the farm episodes all over again.

Nessuno on November 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Did anyone else think the chick the governor hooked up with in the truck looked remarkably similar to Maggie?

hollygolightly on November 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Carl will probably kill an unarmed Governor resulting in Rick banning Carl to the hinterlands taking away Carl’s bullets.

Maxpower on November 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I’m usually impatient with backstory, but that was pretty interesting. Still wondering if they can make him sympathetic enough considering that he’s rather evil. Although it appears some viewers have already been suckered. “Oh, he rescued a girl and got tanks of air for that old guy. swoon”

Dongemaharu on November 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM

carpe-diem nookie

technically carpe-noctum nookie

faraway on November 18, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I got excited because that family seemed to be Chalmers family from the book The Rise of the Governor, but then they didn’t follow that storyline…

blue13326 on November 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Is the any scenario out there where the governor isn’t insta-murdered once he shows his face at the prison?

RizzyG on November 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I’m actually one of those who think HA should do a few more entertainment/human interest pieces or just something here and there for the occasional LIV who might tune in, but this Walking Dead stuff is actually silly and depressing. Reminds me too much of Captain 404 or perhaps the state of the country, the country of the walking dead.

Then again, the last TV-series stuff that I watched here or there was the “Sopranos” and the early years of “24″. Maybe the soon-to-be dead or really dead was just more to my liking.

Zombie crap just doesn’t float my boat, as more than half the people in this country seem to be among the undead. And to them I say, “Get off my fvcking lawn!”

TXUS on November 18, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Always fun to watch David Morrissey and I’m going to hold off complaining just yet to see if they do wimp out as AP mentions or now that he’s met his AWOL cronies again whether we’ll see Crazy Gov again and maybe something interesting will happen.

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 8:58 PM

RizzyG on November 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM

If he uses the kid as a shield.

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Obama will don an eyepatch for his next appearance.

faraway on November 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Next weeks episode “Dead Weight” “A new chapter begins to form at a camp outside the prison. “

Maxpower on November 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Where are the gay walkers???

faraway on November 18, 2013 at 9:03 PM

That’s a “new and scary chapter begins to form at a camp outside the prison.”

Maxpower on November 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I’m disgusted. None of those people have health insurance.

faraway on November 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM

The only thing more annoying than ed’s NFL Open Threads?? AP’s Walking dead threads. NOBODY cares about this crap. We get it, it’s a popular show, so is grey’s anatomy. Whoopdeedoo! Let’s face it, if you watch syndicated t.v. you are a moron, if you watch “professional” athletes play kiddie sports you are an idiot. I wish a solar flare would knock the grid out sooner than later.

jephthah on November 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM

jephthah on November 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Meh. Clumsy troll bait, barely dead, no smell. 1/10.

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

TXUS on November 18, 2013 at 8:58 PM

To bad HA wasn’t around in the 80′s for Porky’s, Private Lessons and Private Teacher, Spaced Out, Galaxina, The A-Team.

Or the 70′s…nothing good scary and titillating in the 70′s (maybe Halloween came close, didn’t get into the sexploitation flicks in that decade)never mind.

60′s, Batman with its chick of the week, UFO (the 80′s really should have been that way), Star Trek (what is kirk going to do the naughty with this week)…okay they were spacey, but yummy. Aaaannnnd Night of the Living Dead…

cozmo on November 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

After watching the previous week’s episode, I fear that we’re going to find out that the swine flu epidemic conferred some sort of zombie immunity upon anyone it didn’t kill. Sometime soon either Glenn or Lizzie will get bit, but not turn, and then all sorts of lame plot twists will ensue. Maybe Herschel will even create a vaccine in the prison mess hall.

EricW on November 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

He was pretty pitiful when he met up with the family in the complex. I am reserving my sympathy for him though. Talk about overkill, he went crazy bashing in the old man’s head. I think he is walking looney toon.

jazzuscounty on November 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

s/b a walking looney toon.

jazzuscounty on November 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM

hollygolightly on November 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Very much so.

LtGenRob on November 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM

The Gov progressed more in one episode than Rick did in several seasons.

People always notice large swings when it comes to changes in character…Rick wasn’t a psycho mass murderer so he doesn’t have much of a swing to evolve to( unless he goes the psycho mass murder route of course, but doubt we would call that “progress”). In essence, it wasn’t a very bright observation…

The Gov still seems shady to me though, dude might still turn on his Psycho switch at any time.

I agree with you AP, it was nice to see an entire show dealing with an outside character, nice touch. I would like to see similar experiments in the near future.

Alinsky on November 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Another lonely soulless lib.

cozmo on November 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Frankly, this season has been a bust so far. Too boring.

faraway on November 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

jephthah on November 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Geesh, do you feel better? There are other threads to read.

jazzuscounty on November 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM

faraway on November 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

That makes it different from the previous seasons in what way?

cozmo on November 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

you people know the show is fake right? lol

jephthah on November 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

The farmhouse season was a bust except for the mass killing.

faraway on November 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM

jephthah on November 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM

So go piss on the Merkel wall and leave us in peace.

AllahsNippleHair on November 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM

jephthah on November 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Next you will be tellin’ us the Easter Bunny ain’t real and 0bamacare works.

cozmo on November 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Ok i’m gone!

jephthah on November 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Why haven’t the zombies’ clothes fallen off by now? Naked zombies would liven it up a little.

faraway on November 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM

you people know the show is fake right? lol

jephthah on November 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Really? I thought those were the liberals and OWSers that the media have been hiding from us except for the one half an hour a week that the rebels hack into the system to let the truth out.

Now you tell us.

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM

jephthah on November 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM

We will miss your insightful and relevant comments.

Have you met the hagfish. Y’all would make a cute couple.

cozmo on November 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I finally broke down. Last night was the first episode I have seen. EVER. I don’t know where to go from here, but my world is being crushed by the idea that “Rick” is actually a very bad dude. First impressions and all that. I saw him as walking wounded last night, and therefore a sympathetic character.

Pilgrimsarbour on November 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Pilgrimsarbour on November 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Watch the first season of six episodes. Imho they’ve come nowhere near that since, but still an interesting diversion even when it’s slow. Have to admit the makeup on the zombies is very good.

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I’ve read the recent claim for the next show is a prequel.

But damn if it doesn’t feel like they’re setting Gov and Carol and is the alter-tribe.

That would be really Lost of them…

…and that’s what Allah deserves. A return to Lost.

budfox on November 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM

…an interesting diversion…

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM

You described it in three words.

cozmo on November 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM

They just need to work out in canon how long time has passed from the collapse to now. Still to much fog if it was 4 years like real time or just compressed 2 year or so. Was it a slow outbreaks or like a switch that just happened without warning. Those that found the governor should not have still been waiting for the National guard to show up that late in the game. The people anyone run into have it be what is left of Woodbury to the people they picked up in between seasons are still too naive when they should have been stronger and more knowledgeable to have survived 3-4 years with zombies at the door.

Just how long would a walker stay without moving like the one in the wheelchair or tied to the bed. Then how long will they frenzy for after they hear something. Could one out wait them and they go back to just walking around without purpose or will they frenzy for days even if no one is left there.

tjexcite on November 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

So I’m the only one who was vastly uninterested in this episode? I’m so sick of characters who are previously The Big Bad suddenly pushed as being sympathetic.

Seriously, waste of an episode. I am more interested in the Prison epidemic than this waste of space.

I am counting the minutes ’til the Governor gets eaten. Preferably by a zombie with a sympathetic backstory.

mjk on November 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM

The Governor was easy to get as birth control pills with ObamaCare.

Hog Wild on November 18, 2013 at 9:37 PM

In this show, much like in pro wrestling, “good guys” don’t fight each other.

Speaking of:

Jesse Ventura’s movie career has been a dead man walking since he left the governor’s mansion in Pig’s Eye Landing.

Who’s to say a guest starring role as a walker wouldn’t be a boost at this point, especially if he went mano-a-mano with The Eyepatch.

The karma is strong in this one…

Bruno Strozek on November 18, 2013 at 9:37 PM

tjexcite on November 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

The zombies are moving a lot slower than in season 1. Waiting them out may be the best survival.

The scene when the Governor said he had the eye patch because he was a pirate – that was funny & seemed ad lib’d.

batterup on November 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

TXUS on November 18, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I don’t watch the show, but I have several friends and family who do, so I read this thread to see what’s going on, find it interesting.

I agree with your point & think HA should have a thread about “all other shows.”

The last series I watched regularly was Cheers, so I have been way out of the loop. Then a few years ago my brother-in-law started recommending shows, so I checked some of them out. Wow, was I surprised at how much the quality of shows has improved, especially the attention paid to the fans. I am impressed.

I don’t have cable so I online binge view.

Some I would recommend :

Revolution (It’s post apocalypse, without the zombies.)

Person Of Interest (That show is prophetic about the future of computer technology.)

The Blacklist (A Silence Of The Lambs type concept, but different.)

Continuum (A Canadian show about time travelers.)

And my favorite (if you haven’t figured it out) :

Lost Girl (Most people can’t handle the sex, but there is so much more to the show, including great fashion, music, humor, fantasy, characters. The fan base is worldwide and would give TWD a run for it’s money in terms of fan devotion. They call it the little show that could.)

MichaelGabriel on November 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

How could anyone have sympathy for the governor after all the innocent people he’s killed in cold blood. Waste of episode.

Alana on November 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM

The governor is irredeemable. Also, there is no drama to it when (a) you know he survives because you saw him at the end of the previous episode; and (b) who cares if he dies, because he’s the governor?

If I cared more about the character, I would agree that last night’s episode was OK overall. But its probably just a big set-up for the governor to fall even deeper into the psychotic.

Revenant on November 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

The Guv went on a blinkered vision quest.

hehehe

derit on November 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Yes, it was a Maggie look-a-like.

I see two paths.

1) The Governor was at the prison contemplating seeking sanctuary for him and his hew family for safety. He doubts whether Rick would let them stay, but he needs to try.

2) His new family gets slaughtered. The Governor goes bat-feces insane. He blames Rick and Michonne and was at the prison contemplating his revenge.

Anyway, I like Rick. I like the talking. I like the soap opera. I’m not bored. So there.

hadsil on November 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

They should have killed him off at the end of last season – he had served his purpose.

I don’t care about him or his plight.

Bah.

RedNewEnglander on November 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM

The Governor is back. When do zombie heads go back into the fish bowls.

Oil Can on November 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Revenant on November 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Which in itself doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Will give the makeup department lots to do.

They really toned things down from the comics, although a faithful rendition of the comic is probably unfilmable and something that would lose a lot of viewers.

kim roy on November 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM

It would have been interesting if Allah could have done a weekly review of “The Waltons” or “Little House”. lol

csdeven on November 19, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I’m sure it’s already played out in the comic but I can see the gov earning all sorts of sympathy and redemption points along the way and then Michonne finding him and having to not kill him or get put on some guilt trip over wanting to kill the newly reformed protector of women and children. In other words, they’ll put it all on Michonne which I think would suck. Just seen it happen too many times in TV shows and movies.

Dongemaharu on November 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Daryl needs a good nemesis.

Preferably someone whose weapon of choice is a longbow.

Christien on November 19, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Judging by some things the actor said last season on Talking Dead, I suspect the character is going to be around awhile and go through more changes.

It was interesting that there was no cut-away to the main group at all, which I kept expecting. It worked, though.

This is the first series I’ve ever seen where so many people seem to hate and criticism every episode, yet can’t look away.

Adjoran on November 19, 2013 at 3:33 AM

That would be really Lost of them…

…and that’s what Allah deserves. A return to Lost.

budfox

Wasn’t that Carol’s voice talking to the governor at the beginning? It sure sounded like her.

mjk

At the rate they’re going, Daryl won’t find out about Carol until the last episode.

xblade on November 19, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Just throwing this out there for AP or anyone else who cares to answer: if you hate the main character of a show (in this case, Rick), why are you watching? If the writing is so bad and the character development so glacial, why tune in week after week?

You won’t find me watching Warehouse 13 or SVU every week. Once I found them annoying, I turned them off.

DRayRaven on November 19, 2013 at 5:57 AM

as always a few questions on happenings

when the gov and the girl fell into the pit, why did he go all cave man and take out the walkers with his hands.
when he has a beretta on one hip and a RAMBO knife on the other.

I did note that the old guy who was dying, did a totally unique common sense event when the world ended.
He had a truck load of food and when things fell apart he kept the truck of food for his family.
You can imagine a bunch of military doing the same with a truck load of rifle ammo. A case of m16 ammo is like 1680 rounds in two cans of 840 each. And a 2.5 ton truck can haul hundreds of cases. That much ammo and you could set up your own community real fast.

My biggest dissapointment of the show is they only do 16 episodes a season.

sniffles1999 on November 19, 2013 at 7:15 AM

One of the worst episodes.

the Governor’s roll in the hay with one of his new wards

Yeah, that was, like, totally out of nowwhere! I mean, who saw that coming?

Lots of rape, yes. That I’d figure on. Consensual sex, doubt it. Women in this age look for control and hate either not being clean or being with a man who isn’t clean. I have a feeling that sort of activity would decline significantly.

mankai on November 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Hitler had his good days too… dpesn’t exonerate his cruelties.

There was an article a couple of years ago about Hitler’s still living secretary. She adored him and still does. He was nothing but good to her and her family.

I always tell my kids, evil doesn’t look evil all the time.

If they try to get us to like the Governor without some serious mea culpa and some serious soul-wrenching cry out for mercy, I’ll be a bit pissed.

mankai on November 19, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I think it’s all a setup. The gov is still a bad guy but they want us to like his character before he starts pulling the trigger again. They had sex! Sex right next to a little girl! Now that’s some family values right there.

Dr. Frank Enstine on November 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM

mankai on November 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Not only that but I would think that any woman or couple would be really in fear of being preggers. They are on the run most of the time and can’t afford to be slowed down or caring for a bad pregnancy. Then there would be the fear that the baby would die during the pregnancy and become a womb zombie. What happens then?

When the gov did it with his new gal all I could think of was a couple of dirty and smelly people having sex while cuddled up to another person who was cuddled up to a little girl. It was either the most silent non-moving sex ever or there were a couple of people laying there with their eyes squeezed shut hoping it would just stop.

Dr. Frank Enstine on November 19, 2013 at 8:46 AM

This was a great episode. The last thing we saw in last week’s episode was The Governor watching ominously from afar as Rick and Carl walk back to the prison. I was fully expecting this week’s episode to show The Governor resume his attack on the prison in some way. However, it is now in question as to why he’s really there.

The other thing I liked about this episode was, given the fact that The Governor was so despicable last season, I was expecting him to turn on the women at many points during the episode, especially when he finds the revolver in the upstairs apartment. But the complete opposite happened.

Now in the previews for next week, he’s back with the surviving members of his old crew, except that his former enforcer is now in charge. There was a clip of them assaulting and stealing from other survivor camps, and gave away a line where The Governor is told that the women are dead weight. I’m thinking this week The Governor will be forced to revert back to his despicable nature, albeit temporarily, to protect the women rather than for his typical malicious intents.

Looking forward to this Sunday.

Pale Rider on November 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM

So far the only characters I’ve liked are Merle, the Guv and Carol.Rick is more conflicted than the MidEast. Let’s have the Guv take over this aimless group of survivors and give some direction.

kingsmill on November 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM

mankai on November 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Women in this age look for what this age allows them to look for given the risks and dangers and protections they have.

In the Zombie Apocalypse, it would be a different era. Women would look to different things, with a very different mindset. The metrosexual would quickly become unattractive, and the big/strong (even dangerous) man suddenly becomes far more attractive. A woman in danger of all those rapes (by lots of different men) will think much more highly of sleeping with one man who will prevent her from being raped by all those other men out there.

krome on November 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM