Uh oh: White House might have even less time than thought to repair Healthcare.gov

posted at 2:51 pm on November 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

A short but important post from Jeryl Bier at the Standard. To refresh your memory, the reason everyone from Obama to Sebelius to the rank-and-file on the “tech surge” team keeps babbling about fixing the website by the end of this month is because the deadline for signing up for insurance coverage is just two weeks later, on December 15th, if you want it to take effect at the beginning of the year. In a perfect world where the White House had some dim sense of what it was doing, the “young healthies” on whom O-Care’s fiscal stability depends would already be signing up en masse via Healthcare.gov. People who’ve had their plans canceled would, at least, now have the option of signing up on the website so that they don’t suffer a lapse of coverage in January, even if that means higher premiums. Obama would have spent the past month doing a nonstop publicity tour encouraging people to enroll before mid-December to make sure that they have insurance on 1/1. In the world we actually live in, where the president supposedly didn’t find out that the federal insurance exchange was a smoking crater until after it went live on October 1st, virtually no one’s been able to enroll in an exchange plan yet. If — if — the website can be repaired by November 30th, that’ll give the White House two weeks at least to warn people that they need to enroll immediately if they want their new coverage in effect on New Year’s Day. It ain’t much, but it’s something.

But what if that’s all wrong? What if signing up for coverage by December 15th doesn’t by itself ensure that your new plan takes effect on January 1st? In fact, says Bier, in order to be covered at the start of 2014, not only do you need to sign up by 12/15 but you need to pay your first premium too. And, like everything else, that’s not easy to do on Healthcare.gov.

TWS: If I don’t pick a plan until 12/15, won’t it be too late for my info to go to the insurance company, them to bill me, and me to make a payment by 12/21? Seems pretty tight.

[Healthcare.gov] Rep: You must make your first premium payment by 12/15/13 for your coverage to begin January 1, 2014. If you make your payment by the 21st, your coverage will begin in February 1, 2014.

TWS: You said above “It may give you that option” to pay on healthcare.gov. Does that mean it’s not available yet?

Rep: We are still experiencing some technical difficulties with the website, which is why it would be best to possibly go through the insurance company to make your first premium payment.

How many members of the “five percent” (the actual number is likely higher) will have enough cash available in a pinch — right before Christmas, mind you — to pony up that surprise first premium on time? How many “young healthies,” having enrolled on the site, will somehow have it slip their mind that they need to contact their insurer separately to arrange payment by the deadline? How many users of Healthcare.gov, thinking that they’ll be covered on January 1, won’t even realize that they’ve only completed half the process to make that happen? This is yet another landmine for O-Care buried on the 2014 calendar: Some segment of the population, wrongly thinking that their coverage is in effect, will go to the doctor in January only to find that they missed the payment deadline. Note to all bros in Colorado: No keg stands until February.

By the way, the White House’s new hope for Healthcare.gov is that it’ll be able to handle 80 percent of users by December 1st. That’d be ridiculous for any private commercial website, but it’s a moral victory as a salvage operation for a site built by a team whose ostensible leader eagerly reminds the media that he didn’t know much about it until it was too late. Exit quotation: “People don’t like to tell him bad news.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bmore

Schadenfreude on November 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Goodness. This little deem and pass, you gotta pass it to find out whats in it clusterfark of a mess sure is becoming troublesome to these proggies eh? Awww poor little Nazis who knew their fuehrer was such an awful little man? Oh thats right… WE DID! Eat it Dems!

neyney on November 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Nothing some subsidies won’t fix!

KMC1 on November 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The scene is a casket being wheeled by the White house with the usual sobbing darkly-clad figures. The sign on the WH lawn says that Obama apologizes for the delay.

Whoopee-doo!

Don L on November 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

“People don’t like to tell him bad news.”

“Uh, Mr. President, sir? You can’t bend reality to your will, you know.”

On the other hand, the good news for 0 and the Democrats is that the GOP will help out in trying to fix 404Care, thereby relieving their fellow socialists of all blame for this Mother of All Clusterphuhcks.

Nomennovum on November 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Nope, they’ll allow people to pay on the spot with EBT cards.

This is such a damn mess because the fascists always use a flamethrower when a single match is needed.

Bishop on November 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM

That’s right, it will be fixed or Obama won’t know why!

Axeman on November 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Yeah, Normandy, June 6, 1944 comes to mind but instead of sleeping, Obozo was on the golf course.

HomeoftheBrave on November 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Normandy, Pas de Calais….what difference does it make?

Hat Trick on November 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Think about the fun upcoming Thanksgiving discussions over ChoomCare…

Anti-Control on November 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM

If my sisters’ families know what’s good for them, they won’t even bring up the subject. Both families are Democrat supporters and relatively low information voters. To say it will be interesting is a severe understatement… especially since all they would have had to do is ask their brother (me) about what my opinion was of Obamacare (since I work for a healthcare company).

dominigan on November 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I’m thinking we’ll see some major Risk Corridor action soon!

Merry Christmas, taxpayers!

LASue on November 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Calling all trolls,, Calling all trolls ,,,,,

man your stations

man your stations

revise and extend Obama’s excuses…..

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I’m thinking we’ll see some major Risk Corridor action soon!

Merry Christmas, taxpayers!

LASue on November 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Speaking of the Risk Corridor – if the Admin is paying providers to provide plans that are against the law – how is this NOT the Administration paying people to break the law?

CycloneCDB on November 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM

redistribute the debt to those who voted to run it up….

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Gallup: Number of Americans Who Say It’s The Government’s Job To Ensure Healthcare Coverage Falls To 42%, Down 27 Points Since 2006…

Resist We Much on November 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Wow. I’m not sure I can handle being in the majority.

kcewa on November 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

CycloneCBD

That is the voter fraud part, move on…

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

OK, I had to break down and go to the website to find a plan to keep peace in my family. I am an individual 58 in a Midwestern state on the federal exchange. There were 31 plans available ranging from $345/mo to $900+/mo. None of the pricing, deductible, copays, etc. made any sense or correlation with regards to the premium versus the coverage benefits and deductibles, but that is beside the point.

I found a plan I could potential live with (insert tongue in cheek here because of the death panels coming), and I went through the enrollment process to the point where I got an enrollment ID AND a set premium amount. I did NOT give my SSN to the website (surprising it was optional, probably because of poor security in the programming).

I got an email today telling me I had a message in the message center on their website. So I log back into the dysfunctional website and guess what? There is NO LINK or BUTTON to click on to get to a message center. So I have a message I can’t retrieve, and I spent 3 hours this afternoon on the phone between my selected provider (who can’t find my enrollment anywhere in THEIR computers) and the 800 number the idiot in the White House told us to call.

A friendly guy on the idiot’s help line could not solve the problem, so I have been escalated. He could not find my enrollment in spite of me having an enrollment ID number.

So while I had no problem “navigating” to find a plan to select and get a premium quote, from there, I am lost in cyberspace.

And I even tried various different browsers, thinking the idiots who wasted a billion dollars on this website made the functions too browser specific, but it didn’t matter, no link in any of them to a message center.

And this is with a person WITH a technical background (engineering degree, used to design factory automation systems and have been on PCs since the early 1980′s). Can you imagine the average idiot trying to get through this mess?

One thing they are VERY CLEAR on, however, is if you end up accidentally understating your projected income for 2014, you WILL have a HUGE tax credit to refund BACK to the government at the end of the year when they recalculate eligibility in 2014 against the actual wages earned. This makes it somewhat tricky for those in commission based jobs.

And the GOP will screw up this whole messaging in the 2014 election cycle, so I don’t see this mess getting fixed any time soon. We are doomed.

karenhasfreedom on November 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Man, I would be pissed if my insurance was cancelled and I had to find a new plan that my doctor probably doesn’t belong to, and make a payment on a plan with a higher deductible and higher cost right before Christmas.

lea on November 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Wait a minute: you know all those poor folks who apparently go into a fetal position if you ask them to get a picture ID to vote? But they are expected to navigate through the Little Website of Horrors like Wayne Gretzky going to the net.

drunyan8315 on November 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM

“People don’t like to tell him bad news.”

Hmmmm….there was another narcissist, lived in Berlin in 1945. Same mindset.

GarandFan on November 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I really don’t care about their deadlines. I won’t sign up for jacksh!t even with a gun to my head.
They can shove the whole thing straight up their arse.

I will never comply.

Ever.

wolly4321 on November 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM

America!

The subsidies will thus be accorded to 60-65% of the population, our money be damned. Then, just let some Republican try to repeal all those people’s subsidies.

Ted. Cruz. Was. Right. It’s too late now.

NOMOBO on November 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM

That is the plan. They crunched the numbers and told everyone to shut up and play along.

Notice how no one spilled the beans until after the Cruz episode had died down, the website failed non-Medicaid enrollments, and we hit the timeline. Mainly Medicaid enrollees got in

Now, the architects step forward and reveal the fraud

This was planned. However, they aren’t geniuses. Plans can boomerang.

Nonetheless, Cruz was right. DDAY was a better plan than waiting for the Nazis to take South America.

Cruz has the brains to fight a war

entagor on November 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM

“Some segment of the population, wrongly thinking that their coverage is in effect, will go to the doctor in January only to find that they missed the payment deadline. ”

The author grossly understates the risk. If they have a “minor” heart attack with emergency room followed by say, angioplasty, plus a day or 2 in the hospital, they will get a bill for $150K or so!

Nomas on November 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM

The solicitation of proposal from HHS had no performance characteristics or requirements. The bid from CGI America had no performance characteristics or service levels. It was known FROM THE BEGINNING that CGI America is incompetent, but since their CEO is an Obozo donor, that’s OK. They put together a crappy web site and walk away, still getting paid, even though their contract should be terminated and sued for billions.

Not only do we pay billions upon billions to get the state exchanges set up (and some states took the money and refused to comply, good for them) and billions for a smoking-hole-in-the-desert web site, but nobody will be able to get covered at all by 1/1.

So January news coverage will be filled with whining about so-and-so having $150K in medical bills from a major illness, and such and such’s child dying because they couldn’t get dialysis or some such.

It makes you proud to be an American.

jclittlep on November 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM

karenhasfreedom on November 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

OO sounds like someone in Nigeria is now you.

watertown on November 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Pay on the website???? NOT IF YOU’RE SANE!!!

Healthcare.gov is nowhere near secure enough to accept credit card or bank data. It isn’t even valid HTML, it isn’t capable of passing a PCI security scan, and it’s obvious that during design and construction of this site NOBODY was thinking about security for the poor helpless CITIZEN WHO WAS FORCED TO USE IT!!! Even today, when you hear federal officials talk about security, they are only concerned about security for what they consider THEIR DATA: they don’t care about YOUR DATA!!

You should assume that any credit card or bank info you may enter into Healthcare.gov is immediately available to the Public, including the world-wide Identity Theft community.

landlines on November 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM

lea on November 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Don’t worry, that’s happening to you next year, when employer-based plans will be cancelled in their multi-millions.

virgo on November 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

It’s ‘cuz those dayum’ programmers are racist?

Right?…Okra? Yeah, you holding that poor, defenseless jelly donut…Okra???

viking01 on November 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM

It’s not Barry’s fault that all your personal data must first flow though the identity thieves before going to the insurance company.

rgranger on November 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM

“People don’t like to tell him bad news.”

Dysfunctional Leadership 101.

SubmarineDoc on November 19, 2013 at 1:35 AM

“How many members … will have enough cash available in a pinch — right before Christmas …? How many “young healthies,” …”

Well, it depends: Is there a new iPhone coming out soon?

Tsar of Earth on November 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM

People don’t like to tell the petty little man-child dictator wannabe bad news…

Pest on November 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM