NYT: My, there sure is a lot of racket at these NFL games the kids are attending these days

posted at 9:21 pm on November 18, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Opening another front in the fight against football, the New York Times gives concerned liberals who never attend NFL games but are keen on ruining everyone else’s fun something to get excited about with this breaking news. Football games are loud. Maybe too loud:

National Football League teams are racing this season to secure the title of loudest outdoor stadium in the world.

The Seattle Seahawks, who boast that their fans caused a small earthquake after a 2011 touchdown, acclaimed their crowd’s record 136.6-decibel noise level this September after an effort orchestrated by the fan group Volume 12.

Four weeks later, the Kansas City Chiefs — who are still unbeaten — topped the record, in part because of a scream-a-thon organized by the fan group Terrorhead Returns.

“Be LOUD AND PROUD and blow my eardrums out!” one Chiefs fan wrote on Facebook.

The N.F.L. encourages the din.

“The NFL encourages the din.” A professional sports league encourages cheering at its sporting events. Where’s the hand-wringing on the threat posed by rock concerts, which (according to the Internet) hit ear-damaging levels of 115-130 decibels? Even better, where’s the article applauding the gun rights community for its consistent push for ear protection on every range in America?

The Times found one guy at the very loud Seahawks game to say he was mildly annoyed:

Kevin Flaherty, 42, attended the raucous Seahawks game against the 49ers and was relieved to see earplugs distributed to fans, thanks to the Hearing, Speech and Deafness Center of Seattle. The center arranged a donation of 30,000 earplugs from 3M.

Flaherty found the jet-engine roar of the crowd so unpleasant that “it was almost like, gosh, I don’t want to be here,” he said. With earplugs, the din was loud but “no longer uncomfortable.”

But his son, Ben, a sixth grader, could not fit the earplugs in his ear canals. So he endured a steady roar “so loud that the insides of you rattle.”

“It’s insane,” Ben said. “I shoved my earflap over my ear.”

The thing is, our society is pretty good at the busybody worry wart stuff without the Times leading a national charge for the golf clap becoming the only clap in sports. In Seattle, the Hearing, Speech and Deafness Center of Seattle arranged with 3M to have 30,000 pairs of ear plugs distributed at the game, thereby giving attendees the necessary equipment to make a choice to protect their ears or not.

So, yeah, be safe out there, guys. Wear readily available ear plugs if you feel a sporting event is too loud. Take special care to protect your kids. Be aware that ear damage is a thing, and you probably won’t enjoy lifelong tinnitus should you become afflicted with it.

In other words, just live like every normal, sentient human being whose ever heard from their parents, “Turn that music down! You’ll ruin your ears!” The New York Times is now your actual nanny.

Update: These people in this other NYT story are the target for this ear-damage story. In another not-a-parody moment from the NYT, meet a 5-year-old named Erela whose dad is a music producer and mom is a travel accessories designer. They all live in TriBeCa and hired a nanny consultant to teach their nanny from the Midwest (frowny face) the difference between quinoa and couscous. And, there’s this quote: “Some of these nannies already do the cooking in the family, but they’re throwing chicken fingers in the oven, or worse, the microwave.”

When OSHA comes for the NFL, Erela and her parents will lead the charge.

Comments

Sheesh.

BKeyser on November 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM

can we ban stupid?

rob verdi on November 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Huh?

Wallythedog on November 18, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I wear ear protection for nearly all loud activities I participate in. Tinnitus can make you crazy.

Bmore on November 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Concussion lawsuits will kill youth and high school football soon enough.

In 10 years, there will only be football on pay-per-view.

faraway on November 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM

LOL …….. wut?

ExpressoBold on November 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I went to the 87 World Series where it was louder than a jet engine inside the Dome. Guess what I survived and had a blast.

gophergirl on November 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

LOL …….. wut?

ExpressoBold on November 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM

DO YOU NEED MARY KATHARINE TO SPEAK LOUDER?

Bmore on November 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Hehe, go to a NASCAR race – and bring earplugs. NFL crowds can’t compare.

Who is John Galt on November 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Is this any better or worse than having earphones jammed into one’s ears listening to cRap music or Miley?

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I don’t get this blog post Mary… clearly many folks are ignorant, uncaring or otherwise unaware of the serious hearing damage that loud (short or sustained) noise can cause… what is the NY times doing wrong by shedding light on this little heard issue?

We are a nation of too loud, louder and WHAT… I can’t hear you.. it’s embarrassing how stupid some of our population is (all concerts must now be ear damagingly loud, church music is oftentimes so loud that one cannot even hear their own voice while singing praise to God…. volume knob twisters are out of control and we as a society could definitely benefit from a actual discussion about why everything must be so loud.

I (as a rational human being) do not understand why this blog post by you slams ‘liberals’ for caring about how loud sporting events are… it is a serious issue… why are you mocking them? It is being a nanny – it’s pointing out a problem that is readily resolved/prevented (hearing loss).

glidingone on November 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM

What next? No more keeping stats or scores?

What are those absurd things called when spectators create some kind of tunnel for the kids to run through at the end of their football games? To be required for NFL teams soon?

BuckeyeSam on November 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Is that a loofah?

It’s a QUINOA!

Bishop on November 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM

** I meant to say – protecting one’s sense of sound is not being a nanny…

I guess that conservatives/libertarians that constantly teach/educate as to preventative measures and personal responsibility for oneself (avoiding premarital sex, living within your means etc…) does not extend to protecting one’s hearing as we progress through the years?

How many folks are going to be clamoring for their current ‘king of the USA’ to offer free hearing aids because of their own poor choices to damage their hearing at such sporting events, concerts or by the stupid trend of blasting earphones directly into your ear drum/brain.

How long until stadiums and concert locations are sued for hearing loss prevention failure? I can see group lawsuits by the hundreds…

glidingone on November 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM

glidingone on November 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM

, but forgive the pun….

This is part of the reason we are in the position we are in societally. We’ve dumbed people down so far that they can’t even comprehend that loud noises can hurt their hearing.

These are the same clowns that need help around hot coffee and crossing the street and have to have warnings on toys not to stuff them up their noses.

Maybe instead of spoon feeding the stupid, we should be teaching these people to actually think, something that liberals run away from.

People who “learn” from a Slimes article braying the hazards of loud noises deserve to go death. All this is is step one of The The Almighty Government getting its fingers into some kind of regulatory measure.

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

errrr…. deaf, not death…

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Concussion lawsuits will kill youth and high school football soon enough.

In 10 years, there will only be football on pay-per-view.

faraway on November 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I went to concerts back in the 70s and got my ears pounded. I have severe tinnitus and I’m not crazy.. no, I’m not.

shut up.

how many times have I told you to but out of my conversations?

You’re impossible to talk to anymore.

44Magnum on November 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

DO YOU NEED MARY KATHARINE TO SPEAK LOUDER?

Bmore on November 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM

You don’t need to yell, Beamer… I can lip read. Thank you, though.

ExpressoBold on November 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM

glidingone on November 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM

, but forgive the pun….

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I wondered if anyone would catch that one =)

So here’s the thing though… many parents (sadly) will not educate their children about the dangers of loud noises/music/screaming etc… for a multitude of reasons… I do not know that a person with a ‘louder’ megaphone voicing dismay about this issue is a bad thing.

Do not mistake me… I do not favor regulation – it blows my mind that people are so dumb that they sacrifice a portion of their ability to hear their children, friend’s jokes, wife/husband’s whispered comment etc… for … I guess the reward of not looking ‘goofy’ with earplugs in … my dad is an audio engineer and he always taught my sister and I to carefully guard our hearing. We were the non-cool kids who slipped out the wax earplugs during concerts and stuff while the rest of our friends were blasted and had headaches and ringing for days… it is irresponsible that so many events are so loud – without any care given to the damage that it causes… and it is so unnecessary to the desired experience.

glidingone on November 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM

ExpressoBold on November 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Lolz! I know. I just couldn’t resist a light hearted jab. ; )

Bmore on November 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM

They were doing that, even when I was young and dumb and full of bullet-proof. But we shot so many handguns and rifles and shotguns without any protection at all in those salad days, I’m amazed I can even hear today at all.

My hearing is certainly not what it should be today, nor anywhere near what it was back then, and there’s no question it has to do with the stupidity of not wearing protective gear at the range or at target practice in the field.

When I take my kids to the range or field practice, guess what they’re wearing.

Hmm, what dja say?

TXUS on November 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM

We went to the Bulls game when Michael Jordan scored 55 points. Forget hearing yourself scream, you couldn’t even hear yourself think!

I protect our kids’ ears, always have. When they mow the lawn, ear protectors go on, my neighbors mock them mercilessly, my kids don’t care. They have had it pounded into them…PROTECT YOUR EARS! There is a reason The Big Scot calls me The Ear, because MY mom and dad made sure our ears were protected growing up. I can hear anything going on anywhere in our house, to everyone’s chagrin.

herm2416 on November 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM

kim roy on November 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Too true. I know many audiophiles outside the US who automatically select the US as their home region to remove volume chokes which harm sound quality at any volume.

Opening another front in the fight against football

Given the Marxist principles the NFL is founded on, it’s sort of ironic.

lexhamfox on November 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I’m so tired of these elitists deciding what’s best for us…so tired of it. come on, if you go to enjoy a game a big part of it is being a fan and if that means making noise so be it. if you don’t like it watch it on TV or bring plugs. Bowling alleys are noisy too. so is my workplace. so are semi trucks and construction equipment. and leaf blowers! So is the sound at movie theaters. so are fire truck and police sirens. so is the NYT. they’re the worst offender.

scalleywag on November 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM

And “Yes we can” is good for the ears?

Ronnie on November 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

When OSHA comes for the NFL, Erela and her parents will lead the charge.

OSHA only has jurisdiction over employers/employees. As I also understand it, they have stated that professional athletes are essentially independent contractors. Beer dudes, hot dog vendors, and arena staff are the only ones I see opening the door to OSHA exerting their influence in this situation.

The OSHA permissible exposure limit for noise at 115dB is 15 minutes…doubtful the stadium is able to maintain that even over the course of an entire game. They can go 4 hours at 95 dB without requiring any hearing protection. My thoughts are that there is no stadium that would exceed that over an 8hr TWA.

weaselyone on November 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Which is why I have to wear earplugs to a football game. :-)

Don’t know how it came about, but I’ve had tinnitus since I was a kid. Loud environments are literally painful. People who don’t suffer from this malady simply don’t understand how overwhelming it can be.

Earplugs are mandatory, but I don’t mind, really. At least I have the means to be able to go to a football game and not be completely miserable.

Winning!

nukemhill on November 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Is that a loofah?

It’s a QUINOA Queen-oh!

Bishop on November 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Heh. FIFY

Mallard T. Drake on November 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I have been a Seahawks season ticket holder for the past 6 years. There are times it has been so loud that I have to yell to the person next to me to be heard. I have never left a game with ringing in my ears. Even after the world record SF game or the “earthquake” game against the Saints.

On the other hand, when I was a kid, I saw the group Focus at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. My brother and I sat in the last row of the balcony. The music was so loud, my ears were ringing for a couple of days after the concert.

Since the NYT refuses to cover the many scandals of the Obama Administration, they have to find other stories to fill the pages of their bird cage liner. Apparently, this is the best they can do.

Mallard T. Drake on November 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I’m no nanny stater – but I have to say I sympathize, and it’s not just the NFL. I was at the Baylor-Oklahoma game 2 weeks ago (GO BEARS!) and I had problems falling asleep for a long time that night due to the heavy ringing in my ears. And I would say it took about 48 hours my hearing to completely recover. The worst part wasn’t the crowd, it was the ridiculously over-amped PA system. There was just no sense in anyone making it so loud that it caused actual injury to the fans.

Tom Servo on November 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I wondered if anyone would catch that one =)

glidingone on November 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Been exposed to too many puns. ;)

I hear you, (sigh) but personally I’ve just had it with lowering the bar for the terminally stupid, inept or lazy. Maybe a generation of learning the hard way would be good for everyone in general. Not the nice way to look at things, but more of the giving up way.

kim roy on November 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I’d comment but I’d just say something about myself and its really not about me.

John Deaux on November 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Ok, if you’re going to a game and you are concerned about the noise level take ear plugs, ear buds, hell, take cotton.
If you want everyone to quiet down, go watch tennis or golf.

I’m old enough to remember the sixties when the so called counter-revolution was going on. I find it laughable the very people who were marching for fredom from the establishment have now created a much more intrusive, far reaching big brother to control us all.

“Never trust anyone over thirty”, has become “do what I want you to do”.

Ufdaubet on November 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Hehe, go to a NASCAR race – and bring earplugs. NFL crowds can’t compare.

Who is John Galt on November 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Yep. Went to my first one last year and… holy crap!!!! I’ve played in bands and stood inf front of cranked guitar cabs, but nothing compares to the roar of Nascar. Nothing.

Free Indeed on November 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM

** I meant to say – protecting one’s sense of sound is not being a nanny… glidingone on November 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM

No genius, you meant to say sense of hearing.

Akzed on November 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Sask. Roughriders games are normally loud for 30,000 – 45,000 fans in an open air stadium, but the crowd at the 101st Grey Cup is going to be insane if the Riders can pull the home field victory for the cup.

101st Grey Cup Centre – CFL

101st Grey Cup – Wikipedia

Catoclysmos on November 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM

No genius, you meant to say sense of hearing.

Akzed on November 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM

And hearing … is the ability to sense sound waves no? You knew what I meant but just felt like you had to mouth off? Of all the words in my posts – that little bit of odd wording just got you going enough to comment?

What happened… did you wake up on the unfriendly side of the bed this morning? Thanks for the poor attitude in the morning – I needed that! Hopefully your day gets better.

glidingone on November 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

an effort orchestrated by the fan group Volume 12.

Spinal Tap reference?

agmartin on November 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Oops, Spinal Tap was 11, XKCD was 12

agmartin on November 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM

“it was almost like, gosh, I don’t want to be here,”

go home

burserker on November 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I’ve been to two games in the Superdome this year, both prime time games. The dome gets LOUD and the game against the Cowgirls was probably the loudest I’ve ever heard it.

Nearly every parent with young children at both games usually had them with protective earmuffs rather than earplugs. I wouldn’t expect a little kid to use earplugs.

Mr. Flahrety must have never been to a football game in his life to not get his son proper hearing protection prior to attending the game. I’m surprised that Washington state CPS hasn’t busted down his door to take his kid away for such negligence. I mean, Seahawks fans pride themselves how loud Century Link Field gets, they call themselves the “12th Man”. Somehow, this moron is “shocked” on how loud it gets. Dude, do you even watch football on TV?

I took my son to a monster truck rally earlier this year in a covered arena used for rodeos. Not completely closed in but the loud noises wouldn’t be fun for a four year old. I brought earmuffs for him, even though earplugs were handed out at the event. They’re not even that expensive either and you can pick them up from any hardware store.

Leads me to believe if Flahrety is someone made up for the same of the article or the dumbest football fan alive.

Lay-Z on November 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM