Martin Bashir apologizes for indulging in on-air scatalogical insult to Sarah Palin

posted at 10:01 pm on November 18, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

There’s a neat trick the Left has. When you do something stupid and vile, make it so stupid and vile that it makes people uncomfortable to even repeat what you’ve done in order to call you on it. Ted Kennedy is a perfect example. It’s so horrible to leave a woman to drown in a car you drunkenly wrecked while you stagger home to save your political career that even repeating the charge gives everyone an icky feeling. Opposition to born alive infant protection laws is another one. It’s so horrible to oppose a law that would require treatment for newborn babies who survive late-term abortions that low-information voters are likely to think the charge is false because it sounds so very unreasonable.

And, here we have Martin Bashir, who said something so disgusting about Sarah Palin on Friday that I don’t much care to repeat it. Here’s the original statement, written up at Mediaite, and even Tommy Christopher had to admit this one was bad. You can watch at the link.

Here was my response on Twitter, which gives you an idea how out of line Bashir was:

Bashir apologized today, though received no discipline from his network. It’s actually a pretty decent apology, as these things go:

“Last Friday, on this broadcast,” bashir said, “I made some comments which were deeply offensive and directed at Governor Sarah Palin. I wanted to take this opportunity to say sorry to Mrs. Palin, and to also offer an unreserved apology to her friends and family, her supporters, our viewers, and anyone who may have heard what I said. My words were wholly unacceptable. They were neither accurate, nor fair. They were unworthy of anyone who would claim to have an interest in politics, and they have brought shame upon my friends and colleagues at this network, none of whom were responsible for the things that I said.”

“In the battle of ideas, America leads the world in whole-hearted discussions and disagreements,” he continued, “and these arguments can be heard on a daily basis. But what I did on Friday had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with that great tradition, and I am deeply sorry. Upon reflection, I so wish that I had been more thoughtful, more considerate, more compassionate. but I was not. And what I said is now a matter of public record.”

“But if I could add something to the public record,” Bashir added, “it would be this: That I deeply regret what I said, and that I have learned a sober lesson in these last few days. That the politics of vitriol and destruction is a miserable place to be, and a miserable person to become. And I promise that I will take the opportunity to learn from this experience. My hope is that it will renew in me a spirit of humility and humanity, that looks for the good and that builds upon the great things that this country has to offer to all of us, regardless of our political persuasion. This will be my guiding light and compass in the days ahead. But once again, I am truly sorry for what I said on Friday.”

We’ll see how long this moment of self-awareness lasts. Probably until Sen. Ted Cruz speaks in public again.

Inside Cable News tries to piece together the MSNBC standard for what deserves punishment:

- It will not tolerate someone getting worked up off air in the heat of the moment and using a gay slur in public which alienated a core MSNBC constituency. For that you get a two show suspension.

- It will tolerate someone planning well in advance to state that someone should defacate in a conservative’s mouth. For that you merely have to apologize on the air.

- It will not tolerate someone saying on air that a Democrat Presidential candidate is pimping out their daughter. For that you get an “indefinite suspension”.

- It will tolerate someone using crude commentary about a former GOP vice presidential candidate. For that you get to keep doing your show without interruption.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I blame you guys on why Bashir isn’t fired!

None of you acted like commie pinko Liberals and called up his advertisers and bugged the $hit outta them to drop his show!

I was too lazy =P

LurkerDood on November 19, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I’m only sorry cause I was told to be sorry and I want to keep my job…but rebuplicans are still vile and need excrement thrown at them

jaywemm on November 19, 2013 at 4:21 AM

What ever became of the principled resignation? There was a time when a public man’s sense of personal honor would require him, when transgressing the norms of decency, to apologize and then step down from his bully pulpit. All I see here is a guy making a boilerplate admission of error hoping people will say, “No Harm, No Foul” and let him continue pulling down the big paycheck.

potkas7 on November 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM

He should have screamed “Allah ackbar!” at the end of his vile statement. That way msnbc could have pretended it never happened.

mankai on November 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM

But given their ratings does having a show on MSNBC actually qualify as “speaking in public”?

Mr. Bingley on November 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM

More comments on this thread than Bashir has viewers. Ignore him, and he’ll disappear quicker.

Midas on November 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Bashir is a nasty ugly man but I personally think this was a decent apology. Whether he actually meant it or some corporate head made him say it the words read well.
Unfortunately all the slime dwellers who post at the Left-wing sites who commented on the original bash still agree with him – the posters who hi-fived his opinion of Palin are the problem.

katiejane on November 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Why even tell us this crap, HA?

You want us to watch Basher, right?

Why?

Sherman1864 on November 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM

So was Hitler

Yeah, you’re right wing but you’re not conservative. They’re not the same thing.

Cleombrotus on November 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Wrong. Hitler was a socialist. He was slightly right of the communists, but he was never “right-wing”

Conservative4Ever on November 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM

He was a Nationalist.

Cleombrotus on November 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

He was a socialist. Go read his book. He tells you what he was there.

Stop re-writing history.

Conservative4Ever on November 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Is he dating Cher?

PappyD61 on November 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Conservative4Ever on November 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM

*sigh* I see I’m gonna have to defend my claim.

OK

Ask a secular Jew if Hitler was left wing or right wing. We confuse European “right wing” with American right wing. Not the same thing. But a secular Jew doesn’t see that.

He was a nationalist FIRST(small n); his enemies were the Communists. The only thing he shares with the American Left was his “socialism” which was more a product of his nationalism than socialism.

This is why so many secular Jews are opposed to the Republican Party. They equate them with the Nazis because they see the Nazis as “right wing” as opposed to Socialist, which is left wing.

Cleombrotus on November 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Come on Marty we know that comment about Palin was just a pickup line fo yo dream date in Cali.

PappyD61 on November 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM

COMMON GOOD BEFORE INDIVIDUAL GOOD

25. In order to carry out this program we demand: the creation of a strong central authority in the State, the unconditional authority by the political central parliament of the whole State and all its organizations.

The formation of professional committees and of committees representing the several estates of the realm, to ensure that the laws promulgated by the central authority shall be carried out by the federal states.

The leaders of the party undertake to promote the execution of the foregoing points at all costs, if necessary at the sacrifice of their own lives.

Nothing “right” about NAZI’s or Hitler.

Murphy9 on November 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Cut the slimeball some slack.

He’s just frustrated that he can’t find some explosives to strap on his back and blow up the infidels for his 72 vestal virgins.

acyl72 on November 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM

“Remind me when a right-leaning commentator last suggested that a famous, liberal, female leader should have her mouth forcefully filled with human waste?”

Well, I’m a commentator here and I plan to be ashamed that certain female leader names immediately came to mind.

Tsar of Earth on November 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Nothing “right” about NAZI’s or Hitler.

Murphy9 on November 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

You know that, and I know that, but a German citizen in 1936 wouldn’t have.

Cleombrotus on November 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I can’t believe Bashir said those things!? But I would have loved to be at the meeting when they handed him that apology to learn and practice. I bet he cried. Maybe the FCC actually said something to MSNBC??

BoxHead1 on November 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Bashir is just riding high on the mslsd socialist agenda. He wasn’t showing the regular facistic ankle, he was showing his whole hateful arse. Fully confident it would meet with their soviet style approval, publicly ridiculing their enemies. I’m sure it did, they are so ravenous in their hate for us.
But it also reveals too much to us. They don’t want us aware of the dangers, we’re harder to catch that way. Harder to kill. And with presentations like this, its clear. They want to kill us. To them we are Tutsi. We are cockroaches.
Left and Right have a different definition in Europe. They never really experienced or fully embraced the enlightenment of our constitution over there. It’s really little more the marxism vs socialism (marxism lite) over there…
oh wait…

onomo on November 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM

onomo on November 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Absolutely correct on all points. Especially the cockroaches and Tutsi.

Cleombrotus on November 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Cut the slimeball some slack.

acyl72 on November 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Don’t tell him now, but it’s not vestal virgins. It’s West Virginians.

Tsar of Earth on November 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Cleombrotus on November 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Thanks. Godwin’s law has become little more than a deceptive effort at political correctness which we now know is just the left’s dishonest oppression of opposing views. Hitler, Mussolini, Elvis, all possessed certain talents and were in different ways victims of their era.
The Treaty of Versailles was a Wilsonian progressive ruse that totally condemned a whole nation as industrious and ethical as Britain, France, Indiana to starvation and destitution. Like Detroit only different.
The ports were blockaded for a year after the fighting, further killing by starvation just to force Germany to sign it. In survival mode they Quantitatively Eased themselves into oblivion. A proud, strong, nation starved and financially enslaved doesn’t make for peace. It is the recipe for a charismatic Rasputin, or Karl Rove, or yes even a Hitler.
So Nazi analogies too often fit as a matter of open discussion, not narrow minded sputtering (which I’m also known for). The history is well documented and I’ll always argue applicable for fair comment.
Sorry about that Elvis thing. I don’t know where that come from.

onomo on November 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM

He just said what they all think. And still think. They want us dead and if they can’t kill us to stuff our mouths with defecation.

It goes back to Jean Paul Marat and the French Revolution.

Refuse to believe this at your own peril and loss.

rrpjr on November 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Cleombrotus on November 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM

“Secular Jew”? Are there also secular Christians or secular Muslims?

Nutstuyu on November 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM

“Secular Jew”? Are there also secular Christians or secular Muslims?

Nutstuyu on November 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Yes but they’re quite exclusive. So no, you can’t join ;)

onomo on November 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM

You can be born in an orthodox Christian family, but I’ve never heard it referred to in an ethnic way. ‘cept on Sundays maybe.

onomo on November 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Go back to your country Bashir…And take the nitwit Alec Baldwin with ya

workingclass artist on November 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM

“Secular Jew”? Are there also secular Christians or secular Muslims?

Nutstuyu on November 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM

My understanding is that they are born/raised in a Jewish family but don’t attend synagogue, keep kosher, or observe any Jewish holidays or observances once they become adults.

22044 on November 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM

A Secular Jew once bit my sister.
Sorry. Monty Python digression. I think all are correct, even more so in times past when your region of birth was very much considered your heritage. The Jewish people have been privy to the “double” standard (I think) because of their incredible historical prominence, brilliant resilience, and just a je ne sais quoi ranging from secular to orthodx like no other region, religion, or republican candidate.
Sadly, the negative connotations have been too often the most prevalent. Usually by the haters. Like Oprah.

onomo on November 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Bashir’s original point, I can see…partly. Having googled “Martin Bashir Sarah Palin” and having seen a page full of entries about the apology, I was able to find the original statement on Wonkette. As a lead in, she wrote that it was time to bring in the Right’s “fainting couch”, which I found ironic because Bashir’s oral incontinence had to do with a reaction he had to something Sarah Palin said. Who exactly is having the vapors over offenses from the other side?

But this leads to my next point. What liberals think when they hear a liberal-style bombastic analogy that they don’t stand behind. When they can’t relate to the analogy, they find it “stupid”. And as proof to the cluelessness, Bashir was reading a slave’s journal where he reported incidents of “discipline” which included slaves defecating or urinating into another slave’s mouth. Wonkette understood it this far, but she said that Bashir shouldn’t have wished it on Sarah Palin. But again, this is the liberal selective pique over the misuse of liberal-style bombastic analogies.

Bashir’s point, which I get, is that exorbitant taxes do not equate to the sheer range of dehumanizing treatment “permitted” under slavery. Palin is a good example of someone on the right who fights like the left, and the left’s reaction at their own mode of stupidity is to recognize how out of line calling something “slavery” can be.

Unions have called certain economic conditions “wage slavery” for years without one fervent column researching how clueless it was because nobody forcibly defecated on or into another. But now we have a threshold of being able to talk about slavery. Forceable ingestion of waste products.

Of course, there’s not one chance in a thousand hells that liberals will confine themselves to the same standard of judging a hyperbole that the left buys into. They call the right “Nazis” without armbands, without the same support for euthanasia, without ovens, without a national car like Volkswagen, without throwing protesters at our gatherings down subway steps and the death of 6 of them, because to even the most deluded lib, even if we’re not guilty of the most vile crimes of the Nazis, we’re “like” Nazis. Again, we don’t have to have the worst possible things that Nazis were capable of for the left to label us as “Nazis” we just have to be “like” them. And often enough the left’s approach to a lack of evidence of being like the Brownshirts, is that we haven’t done anything like that yet. So you’re still guilty by suspicion that you are guilty and the narrative in their brain that you are capable of what the Nazis were capable of, whether or not your group has ever demonstrated one iota of the worst actions of the proto-Nazis or Nazis.

So “Bashir’s standard” that rhetoric must stand up to the absolute worst that a system is capable of in order to invoke it as a metaphor, is a chalk-drawn line so trampled on from the left, that it is only their summit self-obliviousness that allows them to get outraged when somebody violates that standard that they never–EVER–adhere to.

Again, I have to reiterate the irony of Wonkette’s “fainting couch” for the right when she is writing to defend an invocation for a standard of rhetoric that the left only thinks about when a metaphor is not reachable from the liberal narrative. It’s as vile as their invocations of “civility” which then allow them to p— their pants and say things that have to be retracted over that self same threshold with which they don’t restrain themselves over a standard never observed.

Axeman on November 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM

potkas7 on November 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM

If Bashir had any personal honor he would never have said that in the first place.

He actually thought that whole insult out. That wasn’t just a throwaway line, he actually went into the back story a bit to set the “punch line” up… Disgusting really.

He should be fired but it’s MSNBC.

rightConcept on November 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I don’t think anyone has ever used the work “class” in the same sentence when mentioning Bashir’s name.

However, “classLESS” has come up from time to time.

GarandFan on November 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

He just said what they all think. And still think.

Nailed it.

It goes back to Jean Paul Marat and the French Revolution.

Refuse to believe this at your own peril and loss.

I’m afraid you might be right.

shinty on November 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Deadly accurate.

David Blue on November 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Ha! I love your response on Twitter, Mary Katherine! Love love love it!

For my part, I emailed his employer.

Alana on November 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Axeman on November 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Very well said Axeman. To be as vile as the left is today, you have to adopt a phenomenal double standard and that is what their parton saint, Alinsky taught them. A dedicated “no standard” standard.
Why should Bashir leave? It’s what they are. They’ll just replace him with someone more palatable but just as vile.

onomo on November 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

To his credit…it was refreshing to hear an apology that contained no ifs or buts. It was an actual apology.

However, he needs to GTFO.

CycloneCDB on November 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

“Secular Jew”? Are there also secular Christians or secular Muslims?
Nutstuyu on November 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM

No. The Jews are unique and m strongest argument, not only, for the existence of God, but of the Biblical God.

Cleombrotus on November 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

However, he needs to GTFO.

CycloneCDB on November 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The apology was the absolute barest minimum step that this reprobate needed to take in the wake of his vile and disgusting comment. This wasn’t an off the cuff remark – he thought it out, he prepared it, and he fully intended to say it.

That MSNBC’s response wasn’t to fire him the second the red light went off on his apology speaks volumes about their complete lack of values, ethics, and character. That MSNBC’s response was to keep this scumbag on the air demonstrates that MSNBC is little more than a jacobin media outlet where the common discourse is the not based on political opinion or analysis, but on violent advocacy centered around the utter contempt and hatred towards those who don’t join them.

These fanatics are no different from the totalitarian fascists who sent tens of thousands to Madame Guillotine in the name of the ‘revolution’ – and to them, disagreeing with them is only worthy of a brutal death.

Rather than being part of the ‘elite’, these people deserve to be shunned by society.

Athos on November 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

“Secular Jew”? Are there also secular Christians or secular Muslims?
Nutstuyu on November 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I know both secular Jews and observant Jews. Those who are observant are predominantly conservative and voted for Bush. Those who are secular are Liberal. Almost to a man ( or woman).

You figure it out.

Cleombrotus on November 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I don’t think people should be fired for their speech. I’m an absolutist on free speech. It’s the socially cowardly way out as well. A healthy society wouldn’t fire people, it would shun them. Shunning takes discipline and moral resolve.

rrpjr on November 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

onomo on November 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I advise anybody to check out RWM’s post from page #1. She was able to find a much more recent left invocation of slavery that–we can only hope–didn’t have oral defecation involved.

So, Martin Bashir, Should Someone Shit In These People’s Mouths And Piss In Their Eyes Or Are You Just A Flaming Hypocrite?

Resist We Much on November 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Still though, calling a leftie a hypocrite? They’ll never see themselves as such. It’s not a positive self image. They won’t want to think that they are the type of people who could do that. They will squirm and squirm and squirm for ways that Sarah Palin did something that no other lib did–and they certainly aren’t going to take the words of a “right wing wacko”. They might even find “dog whistle” language for Sarah and argue that she has “less right” to invoke slavery, since she has obvious animus toward African Americans since she does not poll so highly with African Americans. And, this will be the equivalent of Doug and Dinsdale Piranha’s “Other Other Operation”.

Axeman on November 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

rrpjr on November 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

An employer has every right to fire an employee for his speech whilst on the job. Businesses that don’t can very soon go out of business.

I am an absolutist on free speech, but speech does have consequences. Martin Bashir has every right to say whatever he wants. What he doesn’t have, however, is a right to a job as a presenter on a cable network or to say whatever he wants while doing his job.

Resist We Much on November 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Resist We Much on November 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Of course the employer has the right. Not my point.

I’m simply opposed to this instant recourse to firing people. It’s too easy, lazy.

rrpjr on November 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM

If he is still hoping to renew in himself a sense of humility, he has not yet been humbled

There are many common usages of the word ‘slavery’. We have phrases like ‘wage slave’, ‘slave to detail’, enslaved by greed’, ‘a slave of love’ even ‘white slavery’ which is not the same as ‘white slaves’ who also existed in history

I think Bashir was a slave to his lack of humility. Palin was obviously using the word in the common context. Why would Palin attempt to use the word in an uncommon usage?

IMHO his apology was rather arrogant.

Now I have to add another English word to the list of co opted words white people are not allowed to say.

As a somewhat white person, I think Bashir should not be allowed to use the word ‘humility’ until he has truly felt the pain, which exceeds the pain of losing a time slot

entagor on November 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

That apology doesn’t mean squat to me… too little too late. Furthermore, I’m done, Fox News will no longer be my news source of record and will no longer be in my usual channel lineup for viewing………wait, he’s on MSNBC? Who the hell is Martin Bashir again?

Koa on November 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Pretty vile thing to say.
(Though by the howls I thought he actually said it – but now see he inferred it. Still very bad.)
Ironic and appropriate that Bashir now has his own sh*t sandwich to eat.
But save me the outrage.
I dismiss many here for concern over someone saying something vile about someone.

verbaluce on November 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Check Twitchy, the Leftoids are actually bashing Marty Beclownir for apologizing.

PJ Emeritus on November 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM

But save me the outrage.

verbaluce on November 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Oh, enough with the usual tu quoque bullshit. There is NO conservative media figure who has said ANYthing that comes close to this. Limbaugh infers that Fluke is a slut, and it’s the Prog Faux Outrage Machine going into high gear. Yet ANY conservative woman is a legitimate target. Palin’s unpardonable sin is that she popped O’s messianic bubble.

ddrintn on November 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM

He can say whatever.

The company should fire him.

He’s not erudite, civilized and human.

Schadenfreude on November 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Martin Bashir is a moron. I have no idea why people spend so much time caring about his opinion on anything. Look, we get it that there is a double standard for the Left, let’s move on now.

X on November 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

The company should fire him.

Schadenfreude on November 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Oh, I don’t think so. That just makes the jerk a martyr. If his “commentary” hadn’t been plastered on a lot of conservative sites, nobody would’ve noticed. MSNBC has an audience of maybe 3 dozen.

ddrintn on November 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM

heh, I wonder if Bashir wants someone to sh1t in Kanye’s mouth as well?

But when it comes to discussing Steve McQueen’s harrowing 12 Years A Slave, Kanye seems to start taking himself too seriously by far.

The harrowing film follows the story of a free black man who is tricked then sold into slavery.

Kanye said of the movie: ‘I felt like the main character, in what I’m dealing with as even as a mega popular rich celebrity (even though you might think f*** you, who are you to complain about anything) attempting to create in other fields, in clothing.

cptacek on November 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM

…after being flogged and salted. Let’s not forget that little bit.

thirtyandseven on November 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM