Is the Left taking over sports?

posted at 6:30 pm on November 16, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

The title question of this piece is the subject which Matt Lewis was pondering this week at The Daily Caller. Exactly how deeply has social change in the liberal / progressive direction embedded itself in our daily lives and those aspects of our public awareness outside of politics and government? There are plenty of areas where it either may not be the case or might not be obvious, but I’ll confess that some recent events in the NFL have gotten me wondering along the same lines.

Are liberals taking over sports coverage, too? Increasingly, that’s the way it feels. And it’s not just because Keith Olbermann is back at ESPN.

In just the last year or so, sports has been dominated by stories about NBA player Jason Collins coming out as gay, the Miami Dolphins “bullying” scandal, debates over whether or not “Redskins” is a racial slur (with some outlets refusing to even use the name), and worries over the NFL’s “concussion crisis.”

The increased politicization of sports was probably the first sign. More and more, it seems, the behind-the-scenes soap opera has overshadowed what’s happening between the lines.

And as was the case with Bob Costas’ gun control rant earlier this year — or ESPN commentator Kevin Blackstone’s recent reference to the national anthem as a “war anthem” — many sports commentators are coming down decidedly on the side of political correctness (the flouting of which forced Rush Limbaugh to resign from ESPN a decade ago), away from overt patriotism and pro-American symbolism, and toward using sports to advance progressive social engineering goals.

There’s certainly something to be said for the variously humorous and/or frustrating turns we’ve seen when sportscasters step outside of their professional wheelhouse and begin preaching about political and social issues. But everyone has an opinion, and they are free to spout them off from whatever platform they can achieve. Some of Matt’s other questions, though, deal with changes we are seeing in the NFL of late. It seems clear that players who engage in some of the hardest hits (and don’t we all love them on the replays every week?) over a long career are susceptible to brain trauma of various sorts. Nobody wants that.

But what is there to be done? I confess that this question leaves me conflicted. Nobody wants to see players end up in a vegetative state, and it seems logical that technology should be able to offer some sort of relief on that front. But how much do we want to (and I’ll apologize in advance for using the term) “sissify” the NFL? If we change the rules and the gear to the point where they are eventually playing flag football, would anyone still want to watch? Would you watch professional boxing if everyone wore headgear? I probably wouldn’t. But then, I don’t want to see all the ex-champs being pushed around in wheelchairs either.

This is a tough question. I don’t know if it should be, but it is. I open it up for your discussion this evening as we prepare for another weekend of football.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You forgot the pussification of the NFL.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM

None. They’re getting paid millions of dollars per year. Part of the reason they’re getting paid that is compensation for the risk of bodily injuries. The NFL should do nothing to alter the game for the sake of making it safer. Creating an entertaining and competitive sport is priority number one. Let them play.

Stoic Patriot on November 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Long march. Why would they leave out sports?

slickwillie2001 on November 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I pretty sure it is. But I’m still a Detroit Playfully Scratchy Kittens fan.

Ugly on November 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I quit watching the NFL when they caved to pink sneakers.

ladyingray on November 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Jason Collins is still a free agent. No one wants him. The media will have to wait some more for their first gay athlete on a pro team that’s out of the closet moment.

Flange on November 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I’ve noticed this, too – and it annoys the sh*t out of me. Sure, there’s bad behavior in the Richie Incognito, but to turn this into a national conversation about “bullyiing?” Please — when did everyone in this country – especially the NFL – become such a bunch of pu**ies? I find the whole bullying conversation a bit of a bore — and pretty stupid. I don’t like kids getting bullied, but when it happens, kick the bully in the balls or have “a conversation” with the bully’s parents and be done with it. All of this hand-wringing and “we’ve got to come together to stop bullying,” and “stop the hate” BS is indicative of the influence of panty-waste liberals everywhere. It’s the same mental defect that produces the “war anthem” nonsense and whatever generally comes out of that a-hole Bob Costas’ mouth.

Yeah, I’m a little twisted about it… LOL

dpduq on November 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Oh YES!…except right now…the Michigan State…Nebraska game!

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Also, let’s go over a complete accounting of political correctness in the NFL and its coverage in the media right now…

1.) Hispanic Heritage month
2.) Breast cancer awareness month
3.) The Redskins name controversy
4.) The Incognito scandal
5.) The Costas rants (Redskins, gun control, kids playing football, etc)
6.) Injury-Fretting (brain injuries, roughing-the-passer penalties, defenseless receiver penalties, etc)
7.) Blackstone’s anti-US tirade

The NFL should drop the “do-gooder” causes, drop the concerns for “offended people,” and focus exclusively on the reason it exists: football.

Stoic Patriot on November 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Bottom line- Yes, the left is taking over sports. It is only a matter of time before we are told the NFL shouldn’t be keeping score.

That being said, Bob Costas’ comment this week about not letting his hypothetical boy play football reached a new level of hypocrisy. Costas has made millions off of the NFL. It was pointed out that Howard Cosell decided that boxing was barbaric and refused to do any more coverage for ABC, including the Olympics. Will Costas stop covering the NFL? Not a chance.

Happy Nomad on November 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Junior high schools and high schools may increasingly demand innumerable hours of community service. But make no mistake, few things are more rewarding and satisfying than lining up on your own 20 yard line on nippy autumn night or afternoon and proceeding to drive the ball right down your opponent’s throat on an 80-yard scoring drive.

BuckeyeSam on November 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM

It is excellent news if liberals attempt to take over sports… They will make a lot of idiots who do not give a damn about politics go to the polls to vote against liberals… Many fools have much more interest in their sports teams than they have about who is running the country… If liberals want to damage the fools sports then they will get very angry at them…

mnjg on November 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Is the Left taking over sports?

Uh, yes. And this started happening about twenty years ago. It’s close to impossible to find a sportswriter who isn’t a flaming liberal.

Erich66 on November 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Rugby has NO pads and they hit just as hard, Limited subs and the one thing I love is that the action and Clock does not stop.

Patricksp on November 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I pretty sure it is. But I’m still a Detroit Playfully Scratchy Kittens fan.

Ugly on November 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM

(:->)

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Michigan @ Northwesstern all tied up 9-9 going into overtime!

Ugly on November 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Of course they are. Once again, we ask the question. We seem to exist in this perpetual bewilderment or ineducability about the Left. Let’s make this simple: they’re taking over EVERYTHING. Got it?

rrpjr on November 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I’ve never seen concussions, head trauma, Parkinson’s or early-onset Alzheimer’s as core conservative values. The Federal government is not yet issuing mandates, so it’s certainly not a libertarian issue. Calling a fellow employee and leaving a message saying he’s a “half-n****r” will get you fired from most jobs, regardless of the “context.”

notropis on November 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I think some of the problem is that NFL and other sports is that they pander to women so they tone down the violence.

Patricksp on November 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Stoic Patriot on November 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Hey, you forgot about all the pink garb for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Art Donovon must be rolling over in his grave. I’m all for women’s breasts and keeping them cancer free. But there’s a time and place for every cause. Pink gloves and pink socks?

I’ll tell you what’s really pathetic. Fathers of junior-high boys who allow mothers to deck their football-players sons in pink garb for football games. I told my brother that I won’t come to his sons’ games if they every wear pink.

BuckeyeSam on November 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM

You can’t play defense anymore. Don’t open games with The Star-Spangled Banner anymore, because that song is about defense at Ft. McHenry. Frankly, the wussification is well-deserved. Aholes openly and virtually unchallenged denigrate defense and spew garbage about the inferiority of defensive players, then they regurgitate the boilerplate “defense wins championships” stuff, and now defenders have to play with one hand tied behind their backs. KU-FRIGGIN-CHING, jack wagons.

Christien on November 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Flange on November 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Let’s be clear here. Jason Collins has played for something like seven different teams. No one wants him because he sucks at professional basketball not because he is gay. And when there is a talented gay athlete- sexual orientation will not matter.

Happy Nomad on November 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM

If they go much farther we’ll all be watching two interpretive dance teams having a dance-off using ladders and half-inflated balloons.

Bishop on November 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM

notropis on November 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

So will doing many of the things listed here. What makes the media coverage infuriating is the completely disproportionate reactions they have. For some reason we’re supposed to be more upset over harsh words than atrocious actions.

Stoic Patriot on November 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM

BuckeyeSam on November 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Amen to that. Given that the NFL is comprised of men, you’d think that if anything they’d cover testicular cancer awareness or something. Of course, just mentioning that the NFL is comprised of men reminds of that woman who was allowed to partake in tryouts for the kicker position in the NFL awhile back that media types were breathlessly enthusiastic over.

Stoic Patriot on November 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Would you watch professional boxing if everyone wore headgear?

Just to play Devil’s advocate . . . why have them wear boxing gloves then?

I actually agree with most of what’s written, but I’ve never quite understood why headgear is shunned in boxing.

SoRight on November 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I hate that Obama has stuck his nose in college basketball. Can’t wait until he’s gone but my luck they will always have him picking brackets going forward – yuck.

gophergirl on November 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Bishop on November 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM

The Left won’t be satisfied until football looks like the end of a Dieter from Sprockets skit.

BuckeyeSam on November 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Stoic Patriot on November 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I agree. Many years ago, I got fired from a job for a DUI, even though the job had nothing to do with driving. And they were well within their rights to do it.

notropis on November 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

notropis on November 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I’m not sure of what point you are trying to make but it seems as if you are demanding that the NFL turn into a Sunday afternoon cricket match. Are you at least willing to agree that whatever happened in Miami is an example of a toxic work environment and not an indictment of the entire NFL? I’m guessing not from the haughty nonsense of your post.

Happy Nomad on November 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Flange on November 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Robbie Rogers plays for the LA Galaxy in MLS, yeah I know blah blah blah soccer is gay.

Patricksp on November 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Watch them wear “STOMP OUT BULLYING!” lapel pins, then feign surprise when one of the franchises has a massive bullying scandal right afterward, with everyone milking it like it’s going out of style.

Kabuki theater, sports edition.

Christien on November 16, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Patricksp on November 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Not to mention the WNBA and their fan base.

Happy Nomad on November 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM

BuckeyeSam on November 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM

It’s not so much about pansifying football as it is providing another pathway for cultural Marxism.

rrpjr on November 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Patricksp on November 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

*booked*

Christien on November 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Bishop on November 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM

OMG! Thread winner in just 23 minutes (you’re off your game Bishop ;0 )

So do you have to be in the stadium to vote for the winner or is this one of those dial-in thingies? In either case, who gets to decide the artistic merit of the effort?

Happy Nomad on November 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM

My 8 year old son can take whatever his 12 year old brother dishes out, so I was taken aback when after getting his flu shot the other day, he asked the nurse if he could have a pink band-aid. The nurse and I both shot him a WTH look, but we said nothing. As we’re walking out it finally dawned on me why he wanted pink…

Yes, the NFL and their frackin’ pink shoes.

Goody2Shoes on November 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM

The left has dominated sports broadcasting for years and many teams are run by committed leftists like Ed’s own Steelers. They just feel like they’ve saturated the market to such a point that they can use the sport as a vehicle to promote their leftist views.

njrob on November 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM

You didn’t mention the corporate welfare, AKA fascism, that’s rampant in sports.

My taxes paid for that building, & they want me to pay to enter it???

That’s reason #42,638 not to be interested in overgrown multi-millionaire kids in funny clothes fight over a toy ball.

itsnotaboutme on November 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM

gophergirl on November 16, 2013

…Minnesota/Michigan State…I can’t talk to you then!

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

UFC is going super politically correct. Matt (Pro-Gay For Pay) Mitrione got massively fined and made to grovel and go pro-transsexual for criticizing Fallon Fox, a transsexual man, for fighting women in the cage – without warning them that they were really fighting a man.

UFC promotes Brown Pride, and has a world champion with that tattooed on his chest, but White Pride is preemptively banned. Also, you can be a former felon and fight for the UFC but not a former race thug. (Only a problem if you are white of course.)

David Blue on November 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Michigan beats Northwestern in triple overtime! 27-19

wow

Ugly on November 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM

My taxes paid for that building, & they want me to pay to enter it???

itsnotaboutme on November 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Which is why I support Columbus Crew one of the few teams in the US that plays in a PRIVATELY funded stadium, Also the Mexicans can’t score there to save their lives Dos A Cero.

Patricksp on November 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

This stuff even dribbles into prep sports. We watched our local team get crushed last night in their run for the state title, but what I hated most is that kickoffs which make it to the endzone automatically become touchbacks even if the return guy wants to take it out.

Why, because the return man will have too much momentum when he reaches the first defenders.

WHAT? Ugh.

Bishop on November 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Once we go full pansy, the only acceptable sport will be soccer, which we will call football.

I loves me a good soccer riot.

John Deaux on November 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

…Minnesota/Michigan State…I can’t talk to you then!

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

We have to get past Wisconsin first to have it mean anything. Who does State play next week?

gophergirl on November 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I loves me a good soccer riot.

John Deaux on November 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Exemplifying another reason not to be interested in overgrown multi-millionaire kids in funny clothes fighting over a toy ball:

Stupid fans.

Seriously?
You like it when people get beat up or worse over a stupid, meaningless hyped-up children’s playtime activity?

itsnotaboutme on November 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

itsnotaboutme on November 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

You’ve posted the same thing three times – you don’t like sports we get it.

Some of us do.

gophergirl on November 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

itsnotaboutme on November 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

You’re just better than the rest of us.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

My taxes paid for that building, & they want me to pay to enter it???

itsnotaboutme on November 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Well then you’re going to love this.

DC’s soccer team needs a new stadium. They’ll build it without tax dollars but the selected site includes a bunch of different owners. The government parcels are going in a land trade deal. But the biggest parcel in the deal was news to the owners when they saw it in a WaPo article. THEY HAD NOT EVEN BEEN CONTACTED.

The city is planning on using the Kelo decision to grab the land and turn it over to a private enterprise. Though, of course, they deny it.

Happy Nomad on November 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM

itsnotaboutme on November 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

You’ve posted the same thing three times – you don’t like sports we get it.

Some of us do.

gophergirl on November 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

This.

Ugly on November 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Michigan beats Northwestern in triple overtime! 27-19

wow

Ugly on November 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM

…Northwestern has to be the best losing team in the country!…I’ve watched them…those poor guys!

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

gophergirl on November 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

….Northwestern!

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM

The NFL wears pink every October now. Sissifying would be too weak a term. If women want the NFL to show support for breast cancer, they can have Lingerie Football use pink bras and panties.

HiJack on November 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Robbie Rogers is writing a book about being gay and playing soccer and how his conservative Catholic upbringing caused him emotional pain suffering, whatever he stinks and I am glad he was traded.

Patricksp on November 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Duh… sports, politics, courts, entertainment, corporate America, children’s television, schools… everything.

MT on November 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM

….Northwestern!

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I think you guys are going to Indy.

I just want to beat Wisconsin – I want the axe!

gophergirl on November 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Was a Helluva game, though!

Ugly on November 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Happy Nomad on November 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I really don’t care what they decide to do. My point is that whatever they do, it’s neither inherently liberal nor inherently conservative.

notropis on November 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I see liberal, Euro-centric soccer people behind this. If you don’t want your kid to play football, people, don’t let him play sissy soccer. Let him play a man’s game: lacrosse.

rivlax on November 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Is the Left taking over sports?

Football with guys that lack testosterone should be a lot of fun.

Bmore on November 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Go Pack?

Bmore on November 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I expect we’ll be reduced to touch football within our lifetimes.

AcronisF on November 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM

The solutions seem pretty obvious to me, but then I’m not a sports fan.

Concussions and injuries on the field. Granted, most NFL pro players are f**king monsters, as John Ringo says, but the main source of impact related injuries is their protective gear. Not their own- the other guy’s.

Hard helmets are used for spiking. Hard shoulder “pads” make great battering rams. And so on.

If the game is what matters, i.e., moving the ball down the field, why not go back to helmets and pads like those used before WW2? Instead of leather, make them out of modern materials with the same toughness and flexibility. They would be just as protective, or maybe more so, but lighter, allowing faster movement.

More importantly, they would be less effective offensive weapons, compared to the present-day sets that seem to have been designed more for optimizing impact/crushing damage to the “target” than protecting the wearer.

Granted, I know a couple of “fans” who would scream like wounded panthers at that. They almost match the typical editorial cartoon caricature of a football fan, i.e. a couch potato screaming “BIGG HITS ARE WHAT FOOTBALL’S ALL ABOUTT!! WAAARRRRGHHHH!!” like some demented Blood Bowl freak from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

My response?

“Tough. Deal with it.”

There were lots of “big hits” in the old days. But back then, they were considered incidental to moving the ball. Today, “moving the ball” is almost incidental to players battering each other senseless.

F**k that sh!t, excuse my French. Play football, not a street brawl.

Gay players? Don’t know, don’t care. Except when a clearly failing player tries to claim it to gain notoriety and/or sympathy. Hollywood stunts like that are about as unfunny as the old one about the slumping player/actor/ etc. who “finds Jesus”, and suddenly you’re not allowed to say anything bad about Mr. Evangelist. It’s a ploy, not a belief or a commitment. Try again.

Pink? Only on the cheerleaders. Let them wear the “(Fill In The Blank) Awareness” stuff. More people will notice it when they’re wearing it, anyway. (No, I am not going to explain the Birds and the Bees here.)

“Offensive” team monickers? As Heinlein said, “Don’t offend others, and don’t be too easily offended yourself.” Those who make a profession out of being offended, thereby trying to make everyone else act and speak and think exactly like them, are hustlers, pure and simple.

(BTW, the failure of everyone else in positions of power to conduct business in Tlinghanaase is highly offensive to those of us who speak it. Vaj pa’!)

(See how it works?)

That’s it. My sum total of “opinions” about pro sports “controversies”.

And you know the old saying about “opinions”….

clear ether

eon

eon on November 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

The NFL wears pink every October now.

HiJack on November 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM

But what do they do to show support for research into testicular cancer?

Happy Nomad on November 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

notropis on November 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Not if both parties are black.

slickwillie2001 on November 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Let him play a man’s game: lacrosse.

rivlax on November 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Sorry but that’s a game played by rich white folk.

Mike Nifong’s demise was that he went after Duke lacrosse players whose parents had money for legal defense.

Happy Nomad on November 16, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Yes, sports and military. They concede no ground ever.

forest on November 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Go Pack?

Bmore on November 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM

….Go Pink!
(:->)

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Oh YES!…except right now…the Michigan State…Nebraska game!

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Ugh.. Don’t remind me. We were our own worst enemy. 5 fracking turnovers >_>

Deep Thought on November 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Let’s not confuse the Left taking over the sports pages and the sports booth with “taking over sports.” The game happens on the field, and it will always take some tough characters, male or female, to play sports at a high level.They can “pink up” the NFL all they want, but that doesn’t change the game. Just because there are betas in the booth doesn’t mean they’ll ever be on the field.

teacherman on November 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

That goes double for coaching, too.

teacherman on November 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Different issues. Yes, sports coverage is 100% controlled by lefty networks, but this is nothing new. The networks are staffed by ass-sniffing little sissies and affirmative action blacks, who identify 95% as Dems. So … Duh.

But the NFL is dealing with a serious problem between their ghetto thug players and the concussion threat. It’s an existential threat.

Jaibones on November 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Why isn’t the left demanding an end to boxing. More head injuries and long term damage than football.

lonestar1 on November 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM

….Go Pink!
(:->)

KOOLAID2 on November 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Lolz! I’ll get you for that! ; )

Bmore on November 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM

According to who? People who have an agenda perhaps? Hey, you know what? It seems clear that global warming is a real problem, and if we don’t do something, it will destroy the planet. Sure, we like driving our gas guzzling suvs, but no one wants to see the planet destroyed, so I am unclear as to what the solution should be.

Here’s a thought…if players don’t want to play football, they don’t have to. Someone mentioned conservative values earlier. Well, I don’t recall forcing people to suit up on Sundays against their will being a conservative value either.

As for whether sports is moving left…of course it is. And some on our side have only themselves to blame. Once you accept whatever premise the left floats(which many on our side love to do), you’ve already lost.

xblade on November 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Let him play a man’s game: lacrosse.

rivlax on November 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I think you mean rugby.

Yes, ‘cuz we’re all English pu$$ies now! (Sorry, Sophie.)

SailorMark on November 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM

No-one wants to see serious injury to a player but,…gimme a F@#king break! Has no-one noticed the incredible paydays these guys get? They are presumably adults and are making individual decisions as to the risk/reward ratio.

About those injuries, I am in construction and can attest that serious injuries abound throughout the industry. I personally have had bones broken, a finger sewed back on, and back trouble going nearly 30yrs now, FOR A FREAKING FRACTION WHAT THE THESE GUYS MAKE.

My dad played for Penn St and played H.S. and jr. college ball and have been avid fan all my life…till the last few yrs. The pussification of the game is BS and has ruined the game, there is simply no defense anymore. Why because receivers can hardly be touched and you can’t even look crosswise at a QB without a flag being thrown.

This came about because the geniuses at the NFL decided they wanted higher scores thinking from a marketing POV instead keeping the game pure. This is why you never see final scores of 6-10 any more, defense is now against the bloody rules. The scores now are utterly ridiculous, 30,40, even fifty points a game, and that’s just for one team!

That my friends IS NOT F$%KING FOOTBALL.

If this gets any worse I’ll more than likely just stop watch at all.

Archimedes on November 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM

But what do they do to show support for research into testicular cancer?

Happy Nomad on November 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

The balls are blue.

katy the mean old lady on November 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

The left has been systematically taking over most branch of society in the country. The “church” being one of the latest. Now the sports world……

For one thing, how often does ESPN obsess itself with race and gay issues. Especially in their news coverage. The coverage of Obama by ESPN. I wonder what his bracket will look like this year. All the sports channels are inundated with liberal journalists who believe in the cause and sometimes it filters through into coverage. When I see an ESPN sportscenter I know 90% of these guys are true Marxist believers and radicals just like Olbermann. Many of these sportscasters then segue into newscasters.

The over coverage of MLK day in sports. The making of Jackie Robinson into a God. The attempt of having the NFL push Obamacare. It failed, but the fact they thought they might do it tells you how far to the left the NFL has gone. The socialistic nature of team salary structuring. The salary cap and revenue sharing being just a couple of examples. Watch the documentary by extreme leftist Ken Burns about baseball. Its less about sports then about civil rights.

Those are just the things I thought of in 5 minutes. There are lots more in sports.

There newest infiltration….Country music.

KMav on November 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Sports have become extremely politically correct. On Jackie Robinson Day every Major League Baseball player wears the number 42. The players number is the primary way fans at the stadium recognize him. I can see a patch, but having all the players wear 42 is beyond ridiculous.

bw222 on November 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I have become less and less interested in the NFL over the last few years. All professional sports in general, really.

I used to go to several games a year.

I stopped going to games, but I spent all day Sunday recording and watching several games.

Now I watch no more than one game a week. Sometimes I don’t watch any. The left has almost ruined the NFL.

I find I don’t miss it much.

jaime on November 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Seriously?

itsnotaboutme on November 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I must admit I do like it when people get worked up over something that’s not supposed to be taken seriously.

For instance, I loved your response.

John Deaux on November 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

The whole head injury thing has put a big damper on me and my wife’s enjoyment of watching the game. It’s not a liberal thing, but unfortunate reality. This is coming from a martial artist that’s experienced more than one concussion.

I still watch, but with less enthusiasm. I have the most trouble watching college ball. These kids are potentially causing themselves long term disabilities hitting head first, and only getting “paid” with a facade of an education.

UrbanCoyote on November 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Is the left fully incapable of taking over the nations professional sports? Naw, the Left couldn’t run sports. The Left doesn’t know competition and doesn’t like any sport other than soccer, which really isn’t a sport and certainly has never been accepted as anything close to a sport by the nation’s sporting spectators. Tre European. So very, very third-world. So it must be the best. Never mind that it’s the only major sport that doesn’t include half the body, the middlish half between the hips and the forehead. Never mind that it’s basically marathon wind-sprinting and kicking a large ball while doing so. And never mind the fact that leftists don’t like keeping score, except perhaps of grudges, but certainly not debts, budgets, or bank balances. Again, except for the one percent whose accounts they intend to raid periodically. And the Left doesn’t like winners and losers much. Or grades. Or top honors to be awarded. What would football be without the Superbowl ring, or the World Series without the pennant? What would a point spread mean? How could a game be savored, or Monday morning quarterbacked without a final score. No more overtime. How would bookies make a living? How would the nation enjoy T-ball played by dozens of three-hundred pound men where everybody’s a winner? No more hazing? Good. No more ‘roid rage? Good. No more hard hits? Excellent. No more ethnic names? Marvelous! No more genetic lottery winners? Outstanding. No more million-dollar contracts? Fine. Sterilized PC players? Good. No more economic incentive to win? Okay. No more economic incentive to play the games? That’s reasonable. Healthy, moderately athletic, well-adjusted, spiritually introspective men moving without urgency toward theoretical goals, three strikes takes first base, no more helmets, no more shoulder pads, sunny days, happy sober crowds watching games dedicated to the relief effort of the week, 53,000 contemplating the game after a moaning mantra to Buddha. It will be a beautiful world. But is this sports?

flicker on November 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM

The left would solve all their objections to sports conflicts by simply giving EACH team their OWN ball.

SoRight on November 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM

For instance, I loved your response.

John Deaux on November 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

/golfclap

Irritable Pundit on November 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Well, why not. They have pretty much plucked-up every other form of entertainment. with the possible exception of country music… and there are more than a few there now too.

LegendHasIt on November 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I think that little Bobby Costas (that’s what we used to call him here in Missouri) was bullied into political correctness. Bobby earned his bones working for that great, 50,000 watt radio station KMOX years ago. It was a conservative station then and it is now, mostly, even though Bob Hyland is gone.

Bobby now considers himself part of the elite, journalist class even though he’s just a frustrated, wanna be jock.

Vince on November 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I still like the NFL because I find the strategy almost endlessly fascinating and the action and excitement is hard to beat. I am liking it a little less every year, partly because even though they get paid millions of dollars I still feel bad for the guys when they end up suffering from CTE and such. The main reason I am liking it less over the years is all the PC stuff, endless talk about concussions (we get it, ok?) and injuries, and as a Redskins fan it’s hard to watch anymore without being called a horrible racist by various sportscasters. Once a sport stops becoming a good escape from the annoyances of real life, what’s the point?

There was a channel that used to show international track and field a lot and I was getting into that, but Comcast dropped the station. There’s a decent chance sundays at my house could turn into NASCAR day because I figure I’m fairly safe from being insulted while watching.

My daughter is hitting sports age so I’ll be more into what she’s doing for the next bunch of years. My son isn’t far behind her. I am hoping they get into something I enjoy watching (for instance, I play a lot of volleyball and I am rooting he likes wrestling) but it’ll be fun no matter what.

hump1201 on November 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

John Deaux on November 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Hey, nice walk-back!

itsnotaboutme on November 17, 2013 at 1:51 AM

The NFL wears pink every October now.

HiJack on November 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Showing support for the Planned Parenthood/Komen/NARAL axis of evil.

itsnotaboutme on November 17, 2013 at 1:55 AM

You’ve posted the same thing three times – you don’t like sports we get it.

Some of us do.

gophergirl on November 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

This.

Ugly on November 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM

This…is not true.

Posting a variety of reason why watching sports is goofy is not saying the same thing three times.

Now you’ll claim I said the same thing four times. :/

itsnotaboutme on November 17, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Just to play Devil’s advocate . . . why have them wear boxing gloves then?

SoRight on November 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Boxing gloves do not protect the person receiving a punch. They allow a boxer to throw even harder, more brain rattling punches without breaking their own knuckles. Headgear, on the other hand, does protect the person receiving a punch, which is precisely why it is shunned in professional boxing. It vastly lowers the importance of “chin.”

gryphon202 on November 17, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Damn right the left is taking over sports…

The worst? A woman ‘play by play’ announcer for a college football game on ESPN. I swear.

deedtrader on November 17, 2013 at 5:28 AM

I got a feeling some animal rights activist is gonna attack the Dallas Cowboys name soon. :P

TMOverbeck on November 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Of course the left is trying to take over sports. They want control of everything. It’s what they are. Be happy. As with the military, they CAN’T. Hence all the brouhaha. The two are totally incompatible. Each relying on teamwork, yes, but victory is often obtained by the greatness of a select few. And with sports, you can’t hand out the congressional Medal of Honor in some quiet ceremony (with O’Bozo scowling behind you).

They may not teach history, but this will be their Marketbasket

WryTrvllr on November 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM