Crisis management: Axelrod, Plouffe, other Hopenchange alumni gather at White House as ObamaCare falters

posted at 5:29 pm on November 15, 2013 by Allahpundit

When your presidency’s melting down over a giant boondoggle, naturally the people you want around you in your hour of suffering are the ones who helped convince you to do it in the first place. Wait, what?

Ever paid a “social visit” to someone trapped in a burning building?

Ax, Plouffe, former head speechwriter Jon Favreau (who, fatefully, convinced O to stick an applause line about universal health care into a stump speech in 2007), and former White House national-security spokesman Tommy Vietor. The gang’s all here — with the notable exception of Robert Gibbs. Is Gibbsy late to the party (i.e. strategy session) or was he not invited after he displayed bad form in noting on MSNBC that Healthcare.gov is a galactic clusterfark?

Meanwhile, as O huddles with his spin team on the all-important task of covering Democrats’ asses, the “tech surge” crew struggles to put out the fire that Obama couldn’t be bothered to care about until it was too big to contain:

The team doing 24/7 repair work on HealthCare.gov has its priorities set.

About 50 of them.

Jeff Zients, the Obama administration’s point man in the repair mission, joined the daily update for reporters Friday and said there is a top priority punch list – with “50 priority fixes as we enter this week.”

And that doesn’t count the lower priority fixes in what Zients called an “iterative process.”

Darrell Issa’s committee released e-mails this morning written by CMS official Henry Chao in mid-July wondering whether Healthcare.gov’s tech contractors “are not going to crash the plane at take-off.” An even more dire e-mail sent by another CMS official (page 4 here) worried that a build for part of the site “appears to be way off track.” If you believe Obama, none of these alarm bells rang in the White House until after October 1, when the site had already launched; somehow, for nearly three long months, the warnings of looming catastrophe never escaped from CMS to their boss, who’d staked his presidential legacy on it. The fact that Zients and his team still have 50 “priority” fixes to make suggests that they’re not going to be ready by December 1, which means Obama has another humiliating press conference coming up in a few weeks to address the December 15th deadline to enroll if you want coverage to start on New Year’s Day. Maybe that’s what today’s huddle with the ol’ gang is all about. If you’re going to break the news that Healthcare.gov is cocked up too badly even for a month-long “tech surge” to rehabilitate it, how on earth do you that? How do you convince congressional Dems to trust you on anything going forward?

For your homework assignment, read Andrew Stiles on how a website with as many security holes and backed by as many fraudulent representations as Healthcare.gov would surely be targeted by the FTC if it wasn’t a government production.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How do you scrape a big turkey off the asphalt?

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Goebbels laughs his dead azz off.

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I’ve got my popcorn. I’ve got weenies. I’ve got s’mores. And the dems brought the conflagration. This is the best, best, BEST political picnic ever in the history of history.

Jazz on November 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

May all who brung/kept obama go directly to Hell.

I can’t make up my mind if I want them to burn slowly/painfully, or if I want them to just go poof.

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

We’re going to need more popcorn. Extra butter.

Punchenko on November 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Jazz on November 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Schadenfreude on the house!

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Quick poll test some language for talking points.!

Murphy9 on November 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM

“Racists” — Oprah, livelikeaslave, partisan hack and Michael Tomasky

Man, oh man, this much schadenfreude at the media s/b forbidden.

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

The power struggle alone is worth the price of admission. Will President Valerie Jarrett yield to the demands of the “campaign people”? Where is Mooch in all of this?

Punchenko on November 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Schadenfreudelicious!

Ted Torgerson on November 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM

The music in the background “Nearer My God to Thee“.

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Too bad Rahm is busy managing the decline of the murder capitol of the United States.

Murphy9 on November 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Except, compared to the real Titanic captain, obama jumped off the ship with the first kids’ boat.

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

It’s insensitive to bring in the Adolf look-alike to an equally sick dic tator.

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Three phucking stooges. Hope a giant sinkhole opens up right as they gather. Instant annulment.

msupertas on November 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

So long as they’re gone.

msupertas on November 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Laws are for little people… #NotforGodKingHeadsofState

abnormal_1 on November 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Put the plastic covers on the furniture, Michelle!

Chuck Schick on November 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM

How do you scrape a big turkey off the asphalt?

“As God is my witness, I thought Obamacare would fly.”

Emperor Norton on November 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM

The entire group is “dim of wit”. Axelrod reminds me of Professor Crashcup on Bullwinkle!

justonevictory on November 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM

drivingtheview on November 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM

You know if the Republican party were smart they’d target younger voters. They need to keep harping on the Dems being the party that is robbing them and redistributing their money. They need to pound that into younger voters heads.

buckichick1 on November 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Walk into any community college auto repair course and ask the most average performing C-student in there why you only fix one thing at a time.

These people are operating below that level.

rogerb on November 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Obama,Pelosi,and Reids much touted legacy just went in the sewer.I’ll remember them every time I buy Charmin.

docflash on November 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM

How do you convince congressional Dems to trust you on anything going forward?

It’s all George Bush’s fault!

Hey it worked for the first two years, why not now?

GarandFan on November 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM

If groups are called: Apes: a shrewdness
Badgers: a cete Bats: a cauldron Bears: a sloth or sleuth Buffalo: a gang or obstinacy
Cats: a clowder, pounce or glaring
Dogs: a litter (puppies), pack (wild) or cowardice (curs) Donkeys: a pace Elephants: a parade Elk: a gang Ferrets: a business
Fox: a leash, skulk or earth Giraffes: a tower Goats: a tribe or trip Gorillas: a band Hippopotamuses: a bloat or thunder Hyenas: a cackle Jaguars: a shadow Kangaroos: a troop or mob Lemurs: a conspiracy Leopards: a leap Lions: a pride or sawt Martens: a richness Moles: a labor
Monkeys: a troop or barrel Mules: a pack, span or barren Otters: a romp
Pigs: a drift, drove, sounder, team or passel Porcupines: a prickle
Porpoises: a pod, school, herd or turmoil Rabbits: a colony, warren, nest Rhinoceroses: a crash Squirrels: a dray or scurry
Tigers: an ambush or streak Whales: a pod, gam or herd Wolves: a pack, rout or route then Obama Henchmen should be called: lying bastards, subversive sacks, scum, dirt bags.

Mason on November 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I can envision the title of the movie now:

“30 Days In November: Obama’s Waterloo”

BobMbx on November 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM

You can’t undigest a turd and turn it back into a nice steak……but go ahead and give it a try.

Mimzey on November 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Calling all commies…

d1carter on November 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM

These are the ‘Top.Men’ at putting the toothpaste back into the tube?

Athos on November 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

May all who brung/kept obama go directly to Hell.

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I vote “poof”

The noise and stench would be really annoying.

iurockhead on November 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Politics has rarely been this enjoyable.

Erich66 on November 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

The music in the background “Nearer My God to Thee“.

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

As if God is anywhere near these people. But thanks for a beautiful link/respite at the end of a very bad day.

Happy Nomad on November 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Sounds like a sure fire plan to break 40 new things….

Athos on November 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Emperor Norton on November 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM

+50

Athos on November 15, 2013 at 6:02 PM

How do you scrape a big turkey off the asphalt?

“As God is my witness, I thought Obamacare would fly.”

Emperor Norton on November 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Oh the humanity!

Happy Nomad on November 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM

The real lie:

“The cancellation notice was not the truth,” she [Representative Sheila Jackson Lee, a Texas Democrat] says. “It should have been: ’We intend to or expect to modify your insurance.’”

davidk on November 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM

funny

workingclass artist on November 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Andrew Johnson @AndrewE_Johnson

In which a Democratic rep. accuses GOP of “socialism”: http://natl.re/17wcYa9 http://youtu.be/VlcSUFHonrs

(McDermott.)

davidk on November 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

They can go Plouffe. Like a rock dropping into water.

Steve Z on November 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

How do you scrape a big turkey off the asphalt?

i couldn’t resist

gerrym51 on November 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Every Friday, the WaPo’s Chris Cillizza announces who had the worst week in Washington. The rat-eared liar is usually not that guy- even when he is. But the truth can’t be denied this week. He called yesterday’s presser a talk-a-thon and declared:

If Obama’s news conference was designed to calm the nerves of Capitol Hill Democrats and blunt the attacks of Capitol Hill Republicans, it did neither.

End quote: President Obama, for riding without a seatbelt on an analogy train to nowhere, you had the worst week in Washington. Congrats, or something.

Happy Nomad on November 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Jazz on November 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Politics has rarely been this enjoyable.

Erich66 on November 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

It almost makes up for the last 6 years of hell. Almost.

txhsmom on November 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Democratic Rep Gives Obama F-Minus

West Virginia Democratic representative Nick Rahall isn’t a huge fan of the White House. Before the vote on Representative Fred Upton’s bill on insurance cancellations — a piece of legislation vocally opposed by Democratic leadership that still won 39 votes, including Rahall’s, from their caucus — he had strong criticism for the administration.

When one reporter asked him how he would grade the White House in terms of Obamacare implementation and its outreach to congressional Democrats, he responded bluntly: “F-minus.”

When asked how the law’s rollout had played in his district, his answer was equally terse. “Oh, very bad,” he said, chuckling a bit. “Rotten.”

Resist We Much on November 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Jonathan Hoenig @JonathanHoenig

The only “fix” is freedom.
11:04 AM – 14 Nov 2013

davidk on November 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Jon Fauvreau? oh boy! shirtless beer pong!

DanMan on November 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Oh, to be a fly on the wall of that meeting!

I would die from gloating…but it would be an ecstatic death!

NavyMustang on November 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Andrew Johnson @AndrewE_Johnson

(McDermott.)

davidk on November 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

The Upton bill doesn’t mandate ANYTHING. It would PERMIT insurance companies to offer those plans to anyone. OTOH, the Landrieu bill MANDATES insurance companies sell ‘substandard’ plans indefinitely.

In McDermott’s drunken stupor of a world, government mandates = free markets and allowing companies to sell and consumers to purchase products that they want = socialism.

Orwellian.

Resist We Much on November 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM

gerrym51 on November 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Up there as one of the classic TV moments of all time!

I still remember when it first aired, sitting there with my mouth open in disbelief.

NavyMustang on November 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

These are the ‘Top.Men’ at putting the toothpaste back into the tube?

Athos on November 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

From Steyn…

The reason for the benign Sovereign’s exercise of the Royal Prerogative is that millions of his subjects — or “folks,” as he prefers to call us, no fewer than 27 times during his press conference — have had their lives upended by Obamacare. Your traditional hard-core statist, surveying the mountain of human wreckage he has wrought, usually says, “Well, you can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.” But Obama is the first to order that his omelet be unscrambled and the eggs put back in their original shells.

Resist We Much on November 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Don’t let a good crisis go to waste!!!

Steve Z on November 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

LoLz..Need more popcorn..:)

Dire Straits on November 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

davidk on November 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM

As soon as our insurance is dropped next fall or takes another dramatic spike, we go to medishare. I’m contacting them next summer before the fall rush.

txhsmom on November 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Steyn: Your traditional hard-core statist, surveying the mountain of human wreckage he has wrought, usually says, “Well, you can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.” But Obama is the first to order that his omelet be unscrambled and the eggs put back in their original shells.

Resist We Much on November 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

In this case the eggs were rotten to begin with.

TXUS on November 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM

justonevictory on November 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I always thought he looked like Hitler’s schleppy cousin Stewart… I call him Stewie Hitler…

PointnClick on November 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM

It’s always been a mystery to me where you find scum of the earth lowlifes like these. A mystery indeed.

tmgrant on November 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM

How do you convince congressional Dems to trust you on anything going forward?

NSA records ?

burrata on November 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Sounds like a sure fire plan to break 40 new things….

Athos on November 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Here’s the thing:

I’m not a software engineer. I do not know how to write, or debug, code.
I am a contracts administrator. I have worked on many IT support services requirements. You know what I hear more than just about any other phrase when a deliverable is missed by a Vendor? “Well, we can start fixing it, but keep in mind…for everything we fix, we usually break two more things..so we need to add them into the schedule.”

I must admit, I have never watched an entire media event starring Barack Obama. I find him an offensively smug, ignorant, arrogant ass. (same with Favreau, frankly. I avoid his work like the plague)

I will watch every nanosecond of his speech declaring that they can’t make the website work, and will have to postpone all the mandates. I will watch that…and I will enjoy it beyond description.

a5minmajor on November 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Obama is calling the coven for a black sabbath.

myiq2xu on November 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I vote for ‘poof’. See them gone permanently and swiftly, no hope of reprieve or return.

thatsafactjack on November 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Hey guys, remember when we drew up a 20 year plan for single payer? We are waaaaaaaay ahead of schedule.

Yup.

I don’t believe that Obama planned for Obamacare to be this kind of disaster, but it was definitely intended as a first step to socialized medicine, and we forget that at our peril.

Over the next few weeks, look for a more cohesive message from the left saying that the only possible solution to Obamacare’s woes is single-payer.

MidniteRambler on November 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM

It’s all George Bush’s fault!

Hey it worked for the first two years, why not now?

Don’t forget WAR ON WOMEN

We’re going to hear them all before this is through.

MidniteRambler on November 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Because if you try to do two things–or fifty–on a half-azzed level, won’t be doing any one thing right.

MidniteRambler on November 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM

If Republicans were smart, they’d also reform copyright law and expand fair use–no more DMCA, an absolute consumer right to convert copyrighted works from one medium to another, etc. It’d be a trifecta: appeal to younger voters, take money out of the hands of Hollywood limousine liberals, and drive a wedge between the Democrats and Silicon Valley. Oh, and it’d also be striking a significant blow for individual liberty, not that I expect anyone in the Republican leadership to care about anything as pathetically quaint as that. Absolutely brilliant tactical move… if Republicans were smart.

Fabozz on November 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM

“I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!” -0b00ba

Akzed on November 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Fabozz on November 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries. -Art. I Sec. 8

Don’t tread on me.

Akzed on November 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM

This is a big F*** deal.

Obama seen serving warm kool-aid.

Right_Mike on November 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Hey, Bammy, it’s been five years. Five years! Don’t you think you’ve spent enough time on this cluster-f. Remember the economy? Jobs? Getting America back to work? You are a worthless piece of sh!t! (And no, Oprah, not because he’s black. Because he stinks like sh!t)

SailorMark on November 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM

justonevictory on November 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM

PointnClick on November 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM

lol, and don’t forget his little assistant, Leonardo. Only whispered in Clyde’s ear.

The Time Machine

Del Dolemonte on November 15, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Ooof!

Akzed on November 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM

“Help Mr. Wizard! I don’t wanna be president no mooooooore!”

Akzed on November 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM

This gang of thieves and liars are not visiting the WH in order to “save” Obysmalcare nor to repair its fatal flaws. They are plotting their latest diversionary talking points and a new/better “narrative” to poll test and then send out to their faithful media shills.

onlineanalyst on November 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM

All the King’s horses and all the King’s men.

xuyee on November 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Chief political advisor, Valerie Jarrett, will be running the meeting while Obysmal plays a few hands of Hearts with Reggie.

onlineanalyst on November 15, 2013 at 7:13 PM

How do you scrape a big turkey off the asphalt?

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Isn’t that when one waits for the buzzards or the 18 wheeler to flatten it into dust?

kim roy on November 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM

onlineanalyst on November 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Amnesty by fatwa next week ?

burrata on November 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM

…by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries…

Limited times. Copyrights as envisioned by the founders lasted 28 years. Current copyright terms last anywhere from 96 to 170+ years… and that’s assuming they don’t get retroactively extended, as has repeatedly happened over the past few decades. No honest person can argue that a period greater than two human lifetimes would qualify as “limited” in the thinking of the founders. Current copyright law is flagrantly unconstitutional.

Fabozz on November 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Where is Mooch in all of this?

Punchenko on November 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Dining on buttered lobster and tamales?

Key West Reader on November 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Running with the “Old Team” is precisely what got us into this JANFU in the first place!!!

Obama Mama should have taught him better …. to NOT run with a bad crowd.

landlines on November 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM

‘But, guys, you said that Obamacare would succeed enough to have people like the government meddling in their insurance…. before it failed. No one said anything about it failing first…’

Of course the free book, Seppuku For Dummies being given to them as they come in might be a hint about what is going to happen.

ajacksonian on November 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Where is Mooch in all of this?

Punchenko on November 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

…in the middle of the gathering …circle jerk!

KOOLAID2 on November 15, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Wow that meeting with the Ins Co CEOs must have been awful. Why else is Dr Frankenweenie calling in all his Igore’s

neyney on November 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Where is Mooch in all of this?

Punchenko on November 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Accelerating her program of Michael Jackson cosmetic surgeries before her insurance is cancelled.

timmytee on November 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Where is Mooch in all of this?

Punchenko on November 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

timmytee on November 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I expect that Christmas party season planning is going gung-ho at the White House, so the rate of parties will jump to three or four a week from the usual two. DC streets will be clogged with semi-trailer trucks unloading Lobshter and Wagyu Beef.

slickwillie2001 on November 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Somehow this POS is still going to arise smealling like perfume. Mark my words.

ctmom on November 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Falters, really? People flee as Hindenburg falters.

BDavis on November 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

How do you scrape a big turkey off the asphalt?

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Obamacare is the greatest screwup since Les Nessman’s Turkey Drop.
Obama: “As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!”

And the biggest turkey of them all is the “Affordable” “Care” Act.

disa on November 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Somehow this POS is still going to arise smelling like perfume. Mark my words.

ctmom on November 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

No. Possible. Way. That’s why we knew the ACA was b.s. without reading it. Anyone who knows anything about the real world could see that.

disa on November 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Who does the catering? And do they got health insurance?

Sherman1864 on November 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM

How do you scrape a big turkey off the asphalt?
Schadenfreude on November 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM