Boeing may look to Right to Work states for newest plane

posted at 8:41 am on November 14, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

This will probably come as no surprise to those who watched the federal government stepping in to help unions strongarm manufacturers in the last few years, but Boeing is back in the news with more labor issues. The aerospace giant is getting ready to unveil their newest jet – the 777X – which had been widely expected to be built in the Seattle area as so many of their other lines have been. But at the last minute, the unions decided the deal wasn’t fat enough for their tastes.

Boeing workers’ rejection of a new labour deal has sent the U.S. planemaker in search of alternative sites to build its newest jet and could mark the beginning of the end for wide-body aircraft manufacturing in the Seattle area.

The vote by machinists late on Wednesday revealed strong opposition to the deal that Boeing said it needed to commit to building its 777X jet in Washington, with no indication whether fresh talks would take place.

The Seattle plant builds the current 777, but the 777X is seen as crucial to Boeing’s future as the successor to its most profitable long-haul aircraft. The 777X is expected to be launched at next week’s Dubai Airshow with the announcement of more than 100 orders.

Boeing Chief Executive Jim McNerney declined to say in a TV interview on Wednesday whether the vote was a take-it-or-leave-it deal. “There are options for us to look at and we will evaluate them and decide,” he told an NBC affiliate in Seattle.

The number of jobs and associated economic stimulus this project represents is staggering, but the machinists union was able to put the brakes on the entire deal. And what horrible treatment did they feel that Boeing was handing down to them this time?

The rejection surprised observers from Wall Street to Tokyo, where many had expected the union to back a plan that would have replaced their pension with a second savings-contribution plan and raised healthcare costs in exchange for Boeing locating the 777X factory in Washington state, sustaining an estimated 20,000 jobs for a generation.

In order to remain competitive, Boeing needed a restructuring – not elimination – of one portion of the union’s pension structure and some additional buy-in on health care costs. But that was clearly a bridge too far. And this came on the heels of a state-wide effort to give generous breaks and other options to the employer to keep the work in the local area, to the tune of $8.7 billion in tax incentives.

But apparently if you ask the unions to participate in the process and work with – rather than against – the people creating the jobs, that’s just outrageous and out of the question. It would be hard to blame Boeing at this point if they simply packed up and took their business to a state with a more reliable and less expensive work force. I bet Tennessee wouldn’t mind 20,000 new jobs. Any takers out there?

Comments

Good for Boeing…

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I hope they have buttered the bread of some politicians…..all legally of course…..so they can pull it off.

NLRB investigation in 5….4….3….

PappyD61 on November 14, 2013 at 8:45 AM

ROFL at unions, most of whom have become a plague on the nation, they can’t get out of their own way.

I hope Boeing relocates but even if they do the Dog Eater and his crew of Maduro-clones will intervene.

Bishop on November 14, 2013 at 8:47 AM

The machinists must think Boeing is bluffing.

LASue on November 14, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Didn’t the unions pull this crap just a few years ago?

Zaggs on November 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Expansion of the SC plant starting in 5…4…3…

Old Dog on November 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Bunch of bullies. Sincerely, the bully watching mainstream media

22044 on November 14, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Allow me to extend very warm greetings to Boeing (and its jobs).

Come to Arizona, Boeing. This right-to-work state would be happy to welcome you (and we’re a lot closer than Tennessee).

AZCoyote on November 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM

The only right to work state they could go to fairly quickly is South Carolina where they have built a plant. The only place in Tennessee right now they could possibly go to is in Nashville to the old Consolidated-Vultee Plant which last I knew, about 20 years ago, was owned by Textron and it isn’t big enough for the 777. I don’t know about the Fort Worth area where Consolidated built the B-36. The airspace in the DFW region is pretty congested, far more so than the SEATAC region.

Boeing needs to get out of Washington entirely and to a right to work state, however. Tennessee would not be a bad choice if they were to build. The area around Nashville International is not a bad area, and the airspace is not too congested as American killed the hub and the runways are big enough, but there are some old AAF bases around that could be expanded fairly easily and used as they do Boeing Field, which would be far better for them.

Quartermaster on November 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Did anyone at Boeing think to ask the Imperial NLRB?

antipc on November 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Maybe SC should be on my list of states to retire to.

22044 on November 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Hey, don’t we have a Boeing plant down here near Charleston?

Why… yes! Yes we do!

Get it done, Ms. Haley!

SCsteve on November 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Maybe SC should be on my list of states to retire to.

22044 on November 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Only if you promise to not tell the neighbors. It’s getting a bit crowded down here these days.

SCsteve on November 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

In my best Monty Hall voice:

“Come on down!”

SteveInRTP on November 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Any of you KKK’ers live in the Carolinas? I’m in discussions with the family about perhaps moving south in a few years and have been looking at those two states. Maybe Tennessee too. Need to know from actual citizens what it’s like down there.

Bishop on November 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Tell Seattle to pound sand Boeing

Move out now

cmsinaz on November 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Quartermaster on November 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Here in right-to-work Arizona, we have year-round (easy to build in) sunshine and lots of wide-open spaces.

Come to Arizona, Boeing. You know you want to.

AZCoyote on November 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Texas would be the best choice to build and test fly jets.

redguy on November 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Get it done, Ms. Haley!

SCsteve on November 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Isn’t this a repeat of the same thing from a couple of years ago?? Boeing was a set to go, the Unions threw a fit, and the NLRB crapped on the whole thing???

BigWyo on November 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM

2nd that azcoyote

cmsinaz on November 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Bishop on November 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Stay away from Asheville and the Raleigh-Durham areas.

You’d probably like Tennessee better than either of the Carolinas.

AZCoyote on November 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Heck, Texas leads the country in “how to do it” and they would be able to get reasonably priced land midway between San Antonio and Austin. There are a lot of Texans who have worked in the Aerospace industry and there would be a ready, willing and able workforce with the kind of work ethic and individualism that makes companies resounding successes.

Wherever they go, I wish them well as the decline of unions needs to continue until they learn that they are partners in success, not the sole beneficiaries.

Webrider on November 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Bring them to Alabama. We already have a Boeing engine plant in Huntsville, and the new Airbus plant is under construction in Mobile. In the past 15 years we’ve added Mercedes, Honda, Hyundai, ThyssenKrupp Steel USA, Airbus, etc. They are coming here for a reason – good employees and no unions.

cww on November 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Bishop on November 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I’m a 28-year transplant from IL via MI and love Raleigh (Wake county). You might want to stay away from Durham & Chapel Hill/Carrboro because of the batcrap crazy libs there, but then again you might enjoy enraging the native and transplant academicians in that part of the state. I find it too tiresome and avoid Durham and Orange counties altogether.

SteveInRTP on November 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM

*Choke*, *cough*. I’ll nominate my state of Rhode Island. *snicker* We could really use some well paying manufacturing jobs here after the ‘rat and union policies have impoverished the place. Yeah, yeah, RI that’s the ticket.

FOWG1 on November 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Come on down to Texas…Lots of room down here

workingclass artist on November 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I’m sure South Carolina would love those 20,000 new jobs. Just like last time Boeing decided it would move its operations – I bet the NLRB will step in and FORCE boeing to accept that deal.

Defenestratus on November 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Stay away from Asheville and the Raleigh-Durham areas.

You’d probably like Tennessee better than either of the Carolinas.

AZCoyote on November 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I was in Asheville once.
Was headed to Knoxville, but a rock slide had closed the road.
I decided to check out the town, so I went to check in.
The motel clerk merrily informed me that obozo was coming the next day.
And that is why I went to Johnson City, Tennessee.

Flange on November 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM

The union should just start their own aircraft company. That would show Boeing.

oldroy on November 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM

BigWyo on November 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Yep, with the plant in South Carolina, and that’s what the union’s no doubt banking on here — that Obama’s NLRB will block Boeing from building the plane in a right-to-work state, or at least hold the thing up in a legal morass to the point it no longer makes economic sense for Boeing to try and build a new plant in a right-to-work state.

jon1979 on November 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Texas would be the best choice to build and test fly jets.

redguy on November 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I agree, although TN and SC would also be great options. Boeing already has a major Commercial Aircraft facility in San Antonio. Texas would bend over backwards to get them to move a HUGE portion of their widebody aircraft production to anywhere in Texas. The weather is great and it’s a very business friendly state.

RandallinHerndon on November 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I hear it’s between Alabama and Utah, but I can’t figure out why Texas and Arizona aren’t in the mix.

LASue on November 14, 2013 at 9:17 AM

*waves from Texas* Okay-I’m actually waving from MO right now-but only until Saturday.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 14, 2013 at 9:17 AM

BigWyo on November 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM

With a Dicktator President fast approaching a sinking approval rating in the mid-30′s, I doubt anyone would put up his same crap as before.

RandallinHerndon on November 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM

cww on November 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I suggest eminent domain on the ScAirbus plant in Mobile. Kick that Euro-trash out and built quality airplanes in Alabama.

RandallinHerndon on November 14, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Bishop on November 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I went to school at NCSU in Raleigh and its a nice area with a very strong sense of community and an educated populace (very high concentration of post-graduate degree holders in the area due to the three major universities withing 20 miles of each other). Its turned straight purple though due to idiot leftists moving south to escape the same fate that they’re voting for.

Personally I’d look at the Greenville/Spartanburg area of SC. It will be some time before SC turns purple and the people are about as nice as can be there.

I’m looking to relocate after my wife’s fellowship ends in a year and a half, and we’re looking at the Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach NC area.

Defenestratus on November 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM

There are several newly empty Boeing plants in Oklahoma – Tulsa, Tulsa, McAlester. Oklahoma is a right to work state, and I think their old contract residuals have expired. I think there are empty ex-Boeing plants in Wichita, also.

Old Country Boy on November 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

“Then Perry shared what Paul Harvey would have called the rest of the story.

Two years ago, Perry said, he ran into Phil Condit, the CEO who took Boeing’s headquarters from Seattle to Chicago.

“I shared that story with him, and he shook his head and smiled and said ‘Governor, there’s more truth to that story about why we chose Chicago for the cultural arts than you would believe,’” Perry said. “I said ‘Where are you living now, Phil?’ And he he got a bigger smile on his face, and he said ‘Frisco, Texas.’”

“So obviously,” Perry added, “Mrs. Condit is very happy with the quality of the cultural arts in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.”

workingclass artist on November 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Double-edged sword. Once the jobs and the industry move to right-to-work states, then so will the liberal transplants and attempts at unionization in earnest.

We’ve been free of the red amoeba thus far, but nothing gold can stay.

mintycrys on November 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I was in Asheville once.
Was headed to Knoxville, but a rock slide had closed the road.
I decided to check out the town, so I went to check in.
The motel clerk merrily informed me that obozo was coming the next day.
And that is why I went to Johnson City, Tennessee.

Flange on November 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Good move. I live just north of Asheville-and yes, it is Libtard central. Buncombe County is also chock full of leftist wingnuts. Obama likes it here because he can pander to his base with little fear someone might embarrass him.

He doesn’t know I live here yet.

Turtle317 on November 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Goonions….Zip..Zero..Zilch

Boeing….#1.

canopfor on November 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM

The Lockheed Martin plant in Fort Worth is owned by the government (it’s name is “Air Force Plant No. 4″), so they couldn’t move there, plus it’s busy building F-35s, and along with F-16s for foreign customers. Another candidate could be the former Vought Aerospace (now Triumph) plant in Grand Prairie. They used to do subcontract work for Boeing and McDonnell-Douglas (tail sections, fuselage sections, etc.) in addition to building fighter and attack aircraft (they first built P-51s for North American), but the plant is probably too small, and land constrained, unless they also took over the former Dallas Naval Air Station (Hensley Field) which is currently owned by the City of Dallas.

Ward Cleaver on November 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I would not be opposed to Boeing moving to Texas. (They considered moving the HQ to Dallas, but opted for Chicago instead – which has proved its own punishment.) However, I would not welcome the Washington state liberal crazies that currently work at Boeing Seattle.

Shame we cannot give them an entrance exam. Boeing could as part of the decision of who to offer assisted transfers. Maybe that should be a condition of the move.

No Truce With Kings on November 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Didn’t the unions pull this crap just a few years ago?

Zaggs on November 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Yes. They pull it every time, and every few years regardless for good measure.

This attitude is in the air there in the Seattle region. It’s all “what cash can I pry from those who can afford it” without, you know, giving value in exchange. They had riots…*riots*…over increasing the minimum wage back in July.

I grew up there, but haven’t lived there for 14 years or so (stationed in Everett for two years after 10 years away). I went back to see family back in July, and it’s not the same town it was 5 years ago when I last visited – totally radicalized top to bottom, including my parents, who were always Scoop Jackson Democrats but are now all in with the “progressive” agenda because that’s all they see in the local news. there’s no effective alternate opinion there – I blame the jungle primaries; it’s effectively a way for Democrats to marginalize any real effective opposition by crowding them out with a popularity contest for the top two “general” election slots.

Jeff Weimer on November 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Allow me to extend very warm greetings to Boeing (and its jobs).

AZCoyote on November 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Indeed. Sunny skies and lots of room for expansion. Plus Boeing already has a facility at Falcon Field in Mesa – constructing the AH-64.

Come on down!

Hill60 on November 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

SCsteve on November 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Heh. I’d probably leave quietly. I think.

22044 on November 14, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Turtle317 on November 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM

And yet he still managed to embarrass himself on that trip.

Flange on November 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Let’s not rule out the Air Capital of the World, Wichita. Yes Boeing has downsized their workforce there, but that’s mainly on the defense side of the company. The 737 fucelages are already built there. One thing that Boeing has in its favor is plenty of capable site throughout the country in which to move a large part of their manufacturing process. Texas, Arizona, Kansas, South Carolina.

RandallinHerndon on November 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I echo AZCoyote’s invitation.

Space. Skilled labor. Favorable labor market.
Did I mention its not gray and damp for 7 months of the year?
Arizona. It’s what’s for business.

orangemtl on November 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM

The union should just start their own aircraft company. That would show Boeing.

oldroy on November 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Ha ha!
Comedy gold times 100!

freedomfirst on November 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Bishop on November 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

If you go to the Carolinas, take a chainsaw. You’re going to need it. Now, if you’d like to move to a place where you don’t have to look straight up to see the sky, Texas is lovely.

Kafir on November 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Don’t know if KA is a right to work state but there’s a small town somewhere in the middle of nowhere that’s looking to expand their tax base cuz they need to pay for the city employee’s health care insurance.

Kissmygrits on November 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

wichita, kansas has a solid base for expansion.

jlw on November 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Gov. Nikki Haley to Boeing: Have I got a deal for you!!! Y’all come on down!!!

Steve Z on November 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Seattle Union workers may want to talk to Detroit Union workers. Call ‘em on their ObamaPhones.

Tsar of Earth on November 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Given our “community organizer” and HIS NLRB, Boeing had better plan on moving OUT OF THE COUNTRY.

GarandFan on November 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Maybe SC should be on my list of states to retire to.

22044 on November 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM

SCsteve on November 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

He can come. Unlike NC, we have a quite effective in-place-vetting process here in SC.

Tsar of Earth on November 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Come to Oklahoma. We’ve been bucking rivets for decades.

Woody

woodcdi on November 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Come to Oklahoma. We’ve been bucking rivets for decades.

Woody

woodcdi on November 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Yea, but can ya’ll layup carbon-fiber? Charleston, SC can.

Tsar of Earth on November 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

The Machinists union has done this kind of thing before. Anyone remember Eastern Airlines, “Number One to the Sun”? The machinists hammered the final nail in Eastern’s coffin but rejecting a similar-type of contract. Happily, Boeing isn’t Eastern.

polarglen on November 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Bishop on November 14, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Boeing made a big mistake when they relocated their HQ to Chicago from Seattle.

Dasher on November 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I’d say come to Texas but since a bunch of Seattle liberals would come with the deal I’d rather pass. We have too many of those in Austin, Houston and Dallas as it is.

neyney on November 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Huntsville, Alabama. Already has a large hi-tech base and more PhD’s per capita than Silicon Valley. Boeing already has a long presence here.

Beautiful area and excellent quality of life.

Strong conservative/GOP area, also.

Anti-Statist on November 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Webrider on November 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Well said.

Cleombrotus on November 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I wouldn’t bet on VA to last long as right-to-work.

Texas is good for now.
How are KS or NE?

freedomfirst on November 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Boeing was already relocating lines of production:

The company’s 787 operations in South Carolina have already been the focus of a multi-year controversy about management’s motives for setting up production in a non-union state shortly after settling a damaging machinists strike in the Northwest. The National Labor Relations Board got involved for a while, and even though tensions have eased many of the company’s workers around Puget Sound harbor suspicions about what the company’s long-term intentions may be.

And

In April, the NLRB charged Boeing with illegally retaliating against unionized workers. Hearings in the case began before an administrative law judge in Seattle this week. Separately, a Republican-led House committee held a hearing on all this in North Charleston today.

Don’t expect this to happen while Obama is in office. The NLRB will be down on Boeing like a ton of bricks — just like it was

unclesmrgol on November 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I wouldn’t bet on VA to last long as right-to-work.

Texas is good for now.
How are KS or NE?

freedomfirst on November 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

With a 50/50 split in the Senate and a better that 2-1 Republican advantage in the House of Delegates, I would bet on VA remaining a right-to-work state. This lame-dick duck Governor we’re about to get will be able to get zilch, zero, nada through the legislature. Besides, McAwful doesn’t care about the business of us Virginians. He’s opening up the first Killery 2016 campaign headquarters as soon as he is sworn in.

RandallinHerndon on November 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Come on down to Texas. We could squeeze in one of your itty-bitty plants with no problems at all. And, you’d probably not have any problems finding locally grown machinists down here.

trigon on November 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I just want to remind people that the only reason the NLRB has funding is that its funding passes the House. The Republicans who voted for this funding is about as fair to label as RINOs as anyone. In 2010, there were sixty Republicans who voted to keep the NLRB in the business of destroying business.

thuja on November 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Unions are like all hard leftists. What they really want is destruction and elimination of businesses. They become invested in anti-capitalism and anti-individualism to the point of suicide.

pat on November 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

RandallinHerndon on November 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Okay. Good logic. I won’t disagree. I was channeling my pessimist side.

freedomfirst on November 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Okay. Good logic. I won’t disagree. I was channeling my pessimist side.

freedomfirst on November 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

The state legislature is about all we have here in the once great Commonwealth of Virginia. The last election was right out of any third world banana republic with the dirty tricks the Democrats pulled, and on top of that, the Attorney Generals race is about to be stollen thanks to recently found ballots after the Dem was the clear loser, no thanks to the likes of Rep. Jim Moran Moron.

RandallinHerndon on November 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Well, if Boeing considered Colorado, all employees moving here would have to leave behind their high capacity magazines…..(sort of/)

dentarthurdent on November 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Maybe SC should be on my list of states to retire to. – 22044 on November 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM

You are welcome, many people do retire here.

SC.Charlie on November 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I don’t live in Texas, but this would be a perfect industry for a future Lone Star Nation to have.

astonerii on November 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Firefox STILL can’t open this site.

“Connected to tz.ts.vindicosuite.com” is hanging it up from opening.

If this site is allowing this and it degrades the opening of the site how is this good?

Seriously, been waiting on this for nearly 5 minutes.

PappyD61 on November 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Is the NSA loading this stuff on the site or is this the site doing it?

This has gotten worser and worserer the last month or so. Now Firefox won’t even open the site. I’m having to use Explorer on another computer.

PappyD61 on November 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Now in a new session it’s hanging up on “ping.chartbeat.net….”

PappyD61 on November 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Did I mention its not gray and damp for 7 months of the year?
Arizona. It’s what’s for business.

orangemtl on November 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Unfortunately it is brown all the time.

Quartermaster on November 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Come to Oklahoma. We’ve been bucking rivets for decades.

Woody

woodcdi on November 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Yea, but can ya’ll layup carbon-fiber? Charleston, SC can.

Tsar of Earth on November 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Yup. We been maintain’n the fleet of B-2s! :-))

Woody

woodcdi on November 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

They came come to Idaho. We’re right to work and right next door. C’mon over, Boeing.

Wherever they go, if they go, I will love it. Watching Seattle liberals gnash their teeth, wail and cry and spit on that eeeevil corporation for taking some of their jobs elsewhere will be delightful schadenfreude. I wish they’d move their whole operation just so Seattle liberals can watch Seattle become the new Detroit.

idalily on November 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

We don’t talk a lot here in Tennessee. But we know how to work, and build most anything. Boeing you would be most welcome here in Tennessee!

tngmv on November 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

When the hard times come, if they stay in Washington Boeing will be classed as part of the Kulaks, and treated as such. Even though I am in Colorado, we are now enemy territory, and it would not be safe to move a major industry or source of jobs here.

In the coming hard times, Boeing would fit in well in Texas, be safe, and could contribute needed production capabilities that Texas would appreciate.

Subotai Bahadur on November 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

The machinists learned nothing from the Twinkie fiasco. They deserve what they get.

Iblis on November 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Texas is good for now.
How are KS or NE?

freedomfirst on November 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

If the existing Boeing facilities in Wichita or OKC aren’t able to be retrofitted for the 777X and a totally new facility needs to be built regardless, the airport at Lincoln, NE would be perfect.

12,900′ X 200′ runway, wide open land adjacent to the airport and freeway plus major railway lines within 2 miles of any building site. Unemployment is in the 4% range and definitely a ‘right to work’ state.

It’s a little cold in the winter but the cold is great for airplane testing and performance. Wide open airspace would be an understatement…they’re in flyover country after all.

JetBlast on November 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Yea, but can ya’ll layup carbon-fiber? Charleston, SC can.

Tsar of Earth on November 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Earth to Tsar: the word is you + all = y’all.
That is all.

AesopFan on November 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I guess the Boeing factory in South Carolina is at max. capacity. It would make sense for Boeing to just expand what they have there. Tennessee would also be a good place to put a factory, just not in western TN. Memphis is busy chasing away businesses with high corporate taxes and high crime. I suspect FedEx would leave there if they only could. Far too much is invested at the Memphis hub at this point.

simkeith on November 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

What difference at this point does it make?

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I bet Tennessee wouldn’t mind 20,000 new jobs. Any takers out there?

Hey, Boeing, come down to Texas, not only are we a right to work state, but we have lots of room and no state income tax. Move your corporate headquarters down here and save a bundle! :) :) :)

Theophile on November 15, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Earth to Tsar: the word is you + all = y’all.
That is all.

AesopFan on November 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM

At first, I wasn’t (correct?) much appreciating the ‘Earth to Tsar’ snark. But, then, I saw’d what you did there. :)

Tsar of Earth on November 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

RandallinHerndon on November 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Well, that’s a no-brainer, then. They’ve got the facilities in SA, unless they have to make them bigger, that would be the way to go.

I bet they’re sorry they passed up Dallas as their HQ site now.

TMOverbeck on November 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Bishop on November 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

You can’t beat the Carolinas. I know. I’ve tried. I’ve moved away several times and even lived in a few other countries in search of greener pastures only to learn the hard way that here is about as good as it gets IMO.

HotAirian on November 16, 2013 at 2:52 PM