Awkward: Sen. Begich speaks on whether he’d like Obama to come campaign for him

posted at 5:21 pm on November 14, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

This morning, DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz doubled down on her rabidly determined conviction that Democrats can and will be running on the strength of ObamaCare come the 2014 campaign season; and while I’ll admit that I’m frankly impressed that she somehow managed to do so through unclenched teeth, it’s already abundantly clear that other Democrats aren’t going to have as simple a time hiding their panic and desperation over the law’s consequences. Democrats’ wagon-circling on ObamaCare circa 2010 didn’t end up working out too well for them, and I don’t think they’re looking for a repeat experience.

Democrat Mark Begich from Alaska is one of those aforementioned vulnerable Democrats, and things got a little awkward on CNN this afternoon when he was asked whether or not he’d appreciate President Obama’s services in helping him to campaign for reelection next year; I must say, Begich handled the question rather beautifully, politically speaking, but the shorter answer certainly wasn’t a resounding “Yes!”, was it?

JOHN BERMAN: If the president offered to come do Alaska to campaign for you, would you accept that offer?

MARK BEGICH: He’s been to Alaska a couple times as he’s passed through on the way to Asia. So, people at the end of the day will elect me based on what I have been doing, what I’ve been representing in Alaska. I was born and raised in Alaska. People know me. No matter where I go, they want to know what Mark Begich is doing to help Alaska move forward on the tough issues we have. That’s what I’ll be campaigning on, that’s what my focus will be.

BERMAN: Is he helpful, though, to your reelection, and would his presence be helpful to you?

BEGICH: I think anyone who banks on any politician coming to the state is not working on what they need to do. I focus on what people want me to campaign on, they’re looking at what I’m doing back here. If the president wants to come up there, that’s his decision, but you know what? If he comes up there, I’m going to take him to the Arctic, I’m going to show him ANWR, I’m going to tell him why we need to drill in ANWR. Change his mind on that if I can, bang him over the heads a few times on it. So, if he wants to come and see what I want to show him what he needs to change his position on, I’m happy to do it.

Comments

Put on the millstone.

Murphy9 on November 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM

This guys theme song.

“So Long its been good to know you.”

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Vote for me “NOT OBAMA”

Just say nobama.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

For the life of me I’ll never understand why Palin won’t jump in. She clearly wants back in office, and this guy’s bound to be one of the most vulnerable Democrats in the country come 2014.

She’d be a thousand times more influential as a senator than whatever the heck she’s doing now.

KingGold on November 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

The long-winded way of saying “Not really”.

Bitter Clinger on November 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

KingGold on November 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I do wish she’d do it just to add to our numbers in the Cruz Party.

Bitter Clinger on November 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Rub his nose in it a few times for good measure.

Flange on November 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Hahahaha..that’d be a hell no.

bazil9 on November 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Senators Cruz, Lee, Paul and Palin. Has a nice ring to it.

KCB on November 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM

KCB on November 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I concur. ;]

bazil9 on November 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM

KingGold on November 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

she’s endorsing and campaigning for winners at about a 90% clip, but replacing either of the liberal senators in Alaska would be good too

DanMan on November 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Ha ha he doesn’t want Obama’s stench upon him. Barry really reeks after today’s presser.

Brat on November 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM

hilarious. there will be more of this sort of weasely stuff from people like Kay Hagen and Mary Landrieu, wouldn’t you expect?

MTF on November 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Should we report him to the Secret Service?

blammm on November 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I like to watch’em squirm.

Old eagle on November 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Awkward indeed, with sentence structure to match.

Bat Chain Puller on November 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM

And he refers to himself in the 3rd person, so he’s distancing himself from himself. So cool!

vityas on November 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Fear This:

This guy and Obama believe the crap they blather on about.

Obama is 100% sure he knows what he is doing.

If any thing worries Obama he consults Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi, or the pure nut job Freak Emanuel.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I”ve reported Begich to Attack Watch.

Always a classic.

BobMbx on November 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM

bang him over the heads a few times

Man, I hope there was some transcripting fuzziness there. What does that even mean? Someone could twist those words into racist, sexist, violence-inciting rhetoric…

…nah, no one ever does that.

Marcola on November 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM

All the Alaska GOP has to do is get Sean Parnell their current Governor to run and the Senate seat is theirs. There is no trick to winning this election.

lowandslow on November 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Translation of Senator Begich’s remarks:
“AAAAAAHHHHH!!! Yahhhh—get it away from me!”

Which, more simply, translates as: ‘No.”

orangemtl on November 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Chad Pergram ‏@ChadPergram 16m

Pelosi on if Obama could change #Obamacare via executive order: Presidential prerogative is not unprecedented.

davidk on November 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Oh, crap:

Chad Pergram ‏@ChadPergram 57m

House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-MD) on Upton bill to fix part of #Obamacare : We may very well have an alternative of our town tomorrow.

davidk on November 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM

What Alaska also needs to do is oust their congressman with a decent conservative.

lowandslow on November 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Translation: BULLSHIT ARTIST!

GarandFan on November 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Awkward: Sen. Begich speaks on whether he’d like Obama to come campaign for him

Probably why he would lose anyway.

loveofcountry on November 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM

He must be one of those neo-confederate racists. How dare he disagree with Der Fuehrer.

txhsmom on November 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Begich to Obama: Come up here and campaign for me so I can bang your head about drilling in ANWR.

An offer O can gladly refuse.

Exit question: What is Sarah Palin waiting for to run against this guy?

Steve Z on November 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out and take that horrid Moocowski with you….

viking01 on November 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Why Sen. Begich, that is a fetching Albatross you have around your neck!

ajacksonian on November 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM

“I was born in Alaska” That confirms what I’ve felt all along. The signs are there that Palin is going to jump in late and he’s horrified.

AmeriCuda on November 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Chad Pergram ‏@ChadPergram 57m

davidk on November 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Der Fuehrer fixed that today. What’s Hoyer’s problem? How many neo-confederate racists are there in the Democrat party?

txhsmom on November 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Bigot, only a racist would refuse to be seen with a black man.

Bishop on November 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Gosh, Mark, if you’re so keen on drilling in ANWR, why do you caucus with the party that’s adamantly opposed to it? Are you stupid, or just a liar?

Fabozz on November 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

o/t, but awesomely awesome facepalmage…

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford shocked reporters and a live television audience Thursday morning when he spoke in salty language while talking to reporters at city hall.

Stepping out of the elevator, the mayor said he was upset by the release of court documents the day before, describing a woman named Alana as an escort or prostitute.

He added that he was taking legal action against several ex-staffers and a waiter at the Bier Markt for allegations contained in the legal document.

Those were allegations and have not been proven in court.

However, the kicker was the statement Ford closed with:

Oh, and the last thing was Olivia Gondek. It says I wanted to eat her p*ssy and I have never said that in my life to her. I would never do that.

I’m happily married. I’ve got more than enough to eat at home. Thank you very much.

Bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Resist We Much on November 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Here, fool from Alaska

Schadenfreude on November 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

The political crap sammich is going to taste yummy ay Senator Bigitch???

Enjoy…..scrunch scrunch

PappyD61 on November 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Change his mind on that if I can, bang him over the head a few times on it.

“Senator Begich (D) Alaska making an open threat against President Obama, The Lying Sack of America.

Call the Secret Service forthwith.

Mason on November 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Oh, come on, Begich he’s “articulate and clean.”

viking01 on November 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM

They can’t campaign on O-care, that’s why JugEars is fund raising so hard

socalcon on November 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

KingGold on November 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Maybe she’d rather endorse/support/campaign for multiple senators, congressmen/women, governors etc. then run for POTUS in ’16?

cs89 on November 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

KingGold on November 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I am not so sure she really wants back in office after what was done to her in 2011-2012 – her career as a politician is basically in ruins. She’s probably better off doing what she’s doing.

Doomberg on November 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM

KingGold on November 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I don’t think she’s ever going to run for office again. I think the latest numbers there showed her actually losing to Begich. Her approval rating there is under 40% the last time I checked. Parnell and Treadwell both do well against Begich, while Palin and Miller struggle.

GOPRanknFile on November 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I’m going to take him to the Arctic,

So far I’m on board….

mankai on November 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM

However, the kicker was the statement Ford closed with:

Bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Resist We Much on November 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

To set the record straight:
The report also says that Gondek, a former Ford staffer, claimed that the mayor previously told her, “I banged your p*ssy“ — He never denied that claim.

{ed.:Speculation is that in Canada ‘banged’ means something entirely different than in the remainder of the universe.

There are also reports that Ford pointed to his waistline when he said “I’ve got more than enough to eat at home.”}

socalcon on November 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I was born and raised in Alaska.

Now that sounds like someone worried about Palin running against him.

SP, your nation calls. Will you pick up the phone…?

JohnGalt23 on November 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Now that sounds like someone worried about Palin running against him.

SP, your nation calls. Will you pick up the phone…?

JohnGalt23 on November 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

She and Joe Miller are the only ones he beats pretty easily even though his approval ratings are terrible. I hope either Treadwell or Parnell decides to run.

GOPRanknFile on November 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

KingGold on November 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Doomberg on November 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Family and brutal flight times between Alaska and DC. The family is too big and settled into Alaska to move, and that means commuting.

slickwillie2001 on November 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM

It’s funny how only a GED, isn’t held against him, but like with Murkowski, they are royalty, neither is the 20 million he saddled
Anchorage with, he’s quite vulnerable re his 2009 statement,

narciso on November 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Yes! Alaskans do remember the circumstance in which Mark Begich was elected. Corruption allegations made against the sitting GOP candidate (Ted Stevens), later proven to be false. Also most voters in Anchorage, Alaska remembers Mark left the city budget underwater with union contracts that surpassed his time in office and even past the next mayors (Dan Sullivan) time in office despite the fact he was reelected.
So I really hope Alaskans are smart enough to correct this vote to remove Mark Begich from his current elected office.
I would vote for Kermit the Frog if meant removing Mark Begich from an elected position.

lwssdd on November 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM