ObamaCare architect: It wasn’t supposed to be this way

posted at 1:21 pm on November 12, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Former senior Obama healthcare adviser and bigtime ACA architect David Cutler maintains that ObamaCare is going to work, and indeed, that law is already reducing medical costs across the board (…yeah, no). He did point out on Fox News last night, however, that without more robust enrollment than we’re seeing now, costs are definitely going to start skyrocketing: “If the numbers aren’t there then the premiums and the exchanges will be very high because the people who will go through the most hoops to get that coverage are those to whom the costs are highest and their coverage is the worst.”

As to the insurance cancellations millions of Americans are now receiving, he lamented that this is the way the process of implementing ObamaCare is going at the last: People were supposed to want to readily switch from their current plans and transfer into the exchanges, because they’d be able to so easily see how much better off they would be both financially and coverage-wise in the exchanges, and none of this would have been an issue. Back in 2010, Cutler warned the White House that their healthcare rollout was already a botched, glitchy mess in the making, but even if the website had been perfect from Day One… one wonders why so many individuals would volunteer to pay health care premiums at an average of 41 percent higher than before. Via RCP:

KELLY: And you’re saying they can’t get on the website. I understand that. But I’m asking a more fundamental, important point which is these cancellations. I mean, the individual insurance market is essentially going away. Was that foreseen? Was that understood by you, by the president, the team putting this law together that it would happen?

CUTLER: It was foreseen that there would be a lot of transition from policies that were less good into cheaper, better policies through the exchanges but that would be because individuals saw it and wanted to do that rather than they were being pushed and couldn’t see what was in front of them.

KELLY: So when you saw all these cancellations start popping up in the past few weeks and then it was tied back to this [inaudible] application that Kathleen Sebelius had pushed through shortly after Obamacare became law. Were you surprised? Did you say to yourself, wait a minute, this is not how it was envisioned or did you say, yeah, this is about how we saw it going down?

CUTLER: No, this is absolutely not how it was envisioned because what was envisioned is that people would be able to see the new premiums and see the new coverage. And many people would say, you know what, I actually don’t want this old policy because I could get better coverage for cheaper.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

…then perhaps PPACA would possibly have worked…

Russ808 on November 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

No effing way.
It’s an economic impossibility that you can provide more, better, and cheaper all at the same time.

We all know it’s B.S.
Additionally, it’s my call what is better. Eff you for trying to tell me I need some type of coverage. I don’t. I’ll resist this leftist grab.

freedomfirst on November 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

We ain’t seen nothing yet.

Just wait until ~October 2014, when enrollment (or lack thereof) starts for those of us who have employer-based insurance starts. I full expect that my $15 monthly combo premium (health, dental, vision) semi-catastrophic plan with HSA will disappear and my employer (who shall remain anonymous but is a Fortune 10) will send us to exchanges (either private or Obama’s) so fast it will make our collective heads swim. Unless the fine goes up drastically, the economics are so loaded toward employers not providing coverage that most will not. That means I have a significant drain on my take home pay, and my economic incentive for continuing to work (at least for my present employer) all but disappears.

Did they really think that people would pay more for less in order to cover other people’s birth control, abortion, and sex change operations? Do they think we are REALLY that stupid?

jclittlep on November 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Did they really think that people would pay more for less…?”

Yes they did! The whole HopenChange movement was to bring the dream of the selfless New Soviet Man into being.

Moose Dung on November 12, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I’m still trying to figure out why any healthy person would sign up for health insurance if you can get coverage with pre-existing conditions. Why not just wait until something bad happens to you, and then you’ll be one of the “winners” who gets a low rate?

ardenenoch on November 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Wait an minute!

We were told that Obama was the smartest man to ever become President. We are also told (constantly) that Progressives are smarter than everybody else and should be in charge of managing everyone’s lives. (I mean; paternalism has done such a wonderful job on the Indian Reservations)

So, since Obama is so smart, and Democrats (Progressives) are so wonderful; I can only conclude that all these problems were not only foreseen, but were written that way on purpose.

Any other conclusion would mean that Obama and the Progressives are not smarter than everyone else…..and that’s just not possible. Just ask them.

schmuck281 on November 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Do they think we are REALLY that stupid?

jclittlep on November 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Unfortunately, too many voters are that stupid, including “educated” ones. My liberal brother-in-law from MA was staying with us right before the last election and I asked him what was the one reason he felt he had to vote for Obama. He said, “I think everyone should have free health care.” I then started asking detailed questions about how Romneycare was working in his state and the passage of Obamacare and his predominant answer was, “I don’t know.” Frustrated, I finally stopped and asked, “How can you vote for something that you really don’t have any idea about how it works?” He said, “You know, I really should have asked more questions. I just thought it was a good idea.” And this is an intelligent, professional guy with graduate degrees. This is what we’re up against. Stupid people who can’t think and smart people who won’t.

inmypajamas on November 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Moose Dung on November 12, 2013 at 8:16 PM

This is about the first time I have seen New Soviet Man referred to in a very long time. First time I encountered the term was while reading a book on Lt. Belenko who flew a MIG 25 to Japan. The narrative of his earlier life also had an description of why there really was no ambition to do more (i.e. exceed the quota) as it was explained to Belenko by a skilled iron worker who obviously could do much more than was required.

Paraphrase
“Young man, you do not understand life. If I wanted to I could exceed my quota 50 times, but what would that get me? Only a quota 50 times as high and I must think of my fellow workers for they would then be expected to exceed their quotas”.
/Paraphrase