“Walking Dead” grumble thread: Whatever, Santa

posted at 8:11 pm on November 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

Most of last night’s episode was devoted to re-discovering that (a) Hershel, who’s maybe two beard-inches away from turning into Edmund Gwenn in “Miracle on 34th Street,” is a kindly old man and effective amateur GP, and (b) Rick and Carl have a bond, as dads and sons are wont to do. The Governor had a cameo too at the very end. Now we wait in suspense to find out whether Michonne kills him in the mid-season finale or the season finale when the show returns in the spring.

I’m too annoyed to review the rest properly. One of the most rightly celebrated things about the show is the writers’ willingness to kill off core characters (except for precious-pony Rick), yet when it came time last night for Glenn to shuffle off to the big pizza parlor in the sky, he got a hokey, lame-ass last-second reprieve. What did I miss? Everyone else was dropping like flies. He was lying on the cell floor, sweating, delirious, and suddenly yakking up the blood and fluid that’s spelled the imminent end for everyone else with the plague. He seemed seconds from death. Then Hershel jammed the breathing tube down his throat and suddenly we cut to Glenn, cleaned up, unconscious, still intubated, but seemingly on the mend and headed for a full recovery thanks to the drugs scavenged by Daryl and Michonne. What? What sort of drug did they find at the pharmacy that’s going to bring people back from the brink of drowning in their own blood? Did we cure Ebola when I wasn’t looking? I thought these people had a sinister post-apocalyptic strain of hemorrhagic fever, as lethal as Spanish flu; turns out no, it’s really just an unusually bloody cold or something. A little NyQuil and antibiotics will fix you right up. We didn’t even get the requisite “why, God, why” screaming fit from Maggie when she saw Glenn struggling for life. Whatever.

I find myself debating whether these recent comments from George Romero are proof that he’s the Yoda of the zombie genre, possessed of surpassing wisdom, or that he’s an egomaniac jealous of the show’s staggering success:

Being the father of zombies how do you feel about that?
It feels like I don’t have a horse in the race. They asked me to do a couple of episodes of The Walking Dead but I didn’t want to be a part of it. Basically it’s just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally. I always used the zombie as a character for satire or a political criticism and I find that missing in what’s happening now.

In Night of the Living Dead, what did you want zombies to represent: Vietnam, racial tension, the threat of communism…?
A lot has been said about that. I think the zombies could be anything. They could be a hurricane or a tornado. It’s not about the zombies. The important thing to me is the way the people react to this horrible situation, misbehave, make mistakes and screw themselves up.

Pro: Too often “The Walking Dead” is indeed “a soap opera with a zombie occasionally.” Con: If you saw “Land of the Dead,” you know how schmucky Romero’s brand of political criticism can be. Also, if you’re going to tout the allegedly trenchant social commentary in your own films, the correct answer when someone asks you what the zombies in your masterpiece stand for shouldn’t be “[they] could be anything.” The way he ends up describing the virtues of NOTLD makes it sound, in fact, like he values the film because it’s … kind of a soap opera. Hello?

I’ll leave you with this post at EW, which tries to put the show’s mind-boggling success among adults aged 18 to 49 in perspective. James Hibberd ran the numbers and discovered that, if you include seven days of DVR playbacks in your ratings calculations, the only shows on television to do better in that demographic than TWD over the past 10 years — 10 years — are “Desperate Housewives” in 2004-05 and “American Idol” in 2007-08. Which is fitting: One’s a soap opera, the other’s a show where the stars are ruthlessly eliminated week after week. That’s America’s formula for ratings magic, apparently. Rick should cover “Bohemian Rhapsody” in the series finale just to bring everything full circle.

Comments

There’s no hope…..

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Dude, just bail on it and free up the content space.

ThePrez on November 11, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I don’t understand why so many Walking Dead whine-reviews appear on Hot Air.

Ukiah on November 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I knew you were going to give it a bad review, I was thinking about it this morning how much I really liked this episode. I enjoyed the drama with Hershel. Then I knew, every episode I like, you review and hate, heh.

Thanks for your writing, I enjoy it very much on all subjects
you share, but especially the WD reviews , truly appreciate it. :)

nwpammy on November 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

These are the dumbest survivors ever.

Why no moats, or punji pits outside the fence? A bulldozer?

How could you run out of medicine?

faraway on November 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

The show jumped the shark in the last episode of last season. It is now the walking dead. Shoot it in the head and let it die.

windbag on November 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

ThePrez on November 11, 2013 at 8:21 PM

You do realize that when he gives up in TWD, it will be a daily post about his other favorite show, The View.

Do you really want that?

cozmo on November 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

It was one of the best episodes ever. If you didn’t like it you are mentally challenged.

tomas on November 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

….thankfully the Governor is back.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Speaking of Walking Dead…

Bombshell:

Who counts as an Obamacare enrollee?

When the Obama administration releases health law enrollment figures later this week, though, it will use a more expansive definition.

It will count people who have purchased a plan as well as those who have a plan sitting in their online shopping cart but have not yet paid.

They are going to, get this… LIE!!!!

faraway on November 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I personally thought it was very well-done. It’s probably one of my favorite episodes of the show thus far.

GOPRanknFile on November 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Unfortunately, the show just keeps showcasing the characters’ stupidity. They live in a prison. They know that if any of them drop dead, they will come back as a walker — perhaps when others are sleeping. They could lock themselves in their cells at night, but they don’t.

The prison is a fortress, with watchtowers. There is never any watch on the surrounds. Little energy is spent defending the fences. Maggie is out there by herself? Why? Also, little energy is spent on constructing defensive improvements (the new gate is an exception). There should be ditches dug on the outside of the fences, for instance.

Both Rick and Hershel continue to expend much of their energy trying to preserve something of the Beforetime. Hershel’s unwillingness to lock down the quarantine zone dooms some additional patients (the cell doors should have been closed, and you don’t leave the shotgun in the cell with a man who is about to become a Walker!). Rick’s instinct is to continue to try and force his son into the role of a Beforetime child (and only gives that up at the utmost end of need). Sorry Rick — those times are done. If the group survives and is successful, what world do you think that Carl’s children are going to grow up in? You need to be preparing Carl for that world — not constantly mourning the world of yesteryear.

Revenant on November 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Just like today’s America, the Walking Dead community deserves the leader it elected.

faraway on November 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM

What’s wrong with a zombie just being a zombie? We (well, those of us who actually pay attention) have so much political nonsense, grief and worry sometimes it’s nice just to have a diversion and why not a zombie soap opera?

kim roy on November 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM

And as he finishes he’s bitten by a stylish Freddy Mercury walker.

mankai on November 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Dang, AP, I am surprised you don’t take a rest and get some easy comments by doing a thread on Gov. Palin comparing the national debt to slavery. The perpetually pizzed are all spun up.

Cindy Munford on November 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

….thankfully the Governor is back.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Yeah, I’m hoping they dispense with him quickly. I think the writers believe we care more than we do. In my TWD circle, he’s just annoying.

mankai on November 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Allah -Even if they kill off Glen you can’t have Maggie.

batterup on November 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Only race pimps are authorized to use ‘race’ terms like white or black.

faraway on November 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM

What do you people have against Asians?

faraway on November 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Try treating a virus with antibiotics and see what happens.

Dack Thrombosis on November 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Try charging a car battery with water

faraway on November 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

They didn’t leave in a van, but returned in a van… yet they seemed to know who was in the van when they returned.

Or did I miss something?

mankai on November 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM

It is interesting that someone would continue to watch a program that seemingly provides him with very little enjoyment.

cynccook on November 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Let me explain Romero.

NOTLD had no metaphor. It was a cheap horror film to show he could make a finish product.

Dawn had satire, but it made sense in the context of survival, as did Day.

But, he ran out of steam, screwed up the NOTLD IP, and has watched his genre run amuck without his involvement, unless it’s for a cheapo budget.

He didn’t take the Walking gig because AMC wouldn’t give him some creative control. They wanted his name but to use him as a shooter, so I don’t blame him for being salty.

As for The Governor, the tank is coming.

budfox on November 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM

On the road again, they need to get on the road again. I’ve got that tune in my head.

Isn’t Georgia a coastal state? Can the biters travel through water? I can’t remember seeing them do it. Why aren’t they out to sea or on large lake? Or do I have no idea of what I type?

I still like this show, and I am not in that age category. And I never watched either American Idol nor Desperate Housewives, not even once.

jazzuscounty on November 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Daryl should be the last survivor and have a Zombie Dynasty series spin-off. He can make zombie call devices and sell them to others.

Rambotito on November 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM

No claymores? How could they have not found claymore mines by now? And no grenade launchers and grenades?

claudius on November 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM

See, they can mow down dozens of zombies in a turkey shoot and Allah still complains. And Glenn was simply at the point where the other guy was earlier who needed the tube. Fer crying out loud, they couldn’t have telegraphed it more. I think it’s difficult to pay attention when you’re at the edge of your seat every second waiting to pounce on every little thing that annoys you.

And it was nice to see Carl and his dad bond a little. They seem to be settling into an understanding with each other.

Nice Romero quote, btw. I like how it so hilariously contradicts itself so quickly. I guess your point was it doesn’t really matter if he wrote for the show since his stories could be about something political……or absolutely anything at the same time.

And please. The social commentary in DOTD is the weakest cheese ever. All the zombies go to a shopping mall. And….? How would it be more respectable if they all stayed home?

Dongemaharu on November 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I gave up on it early season 2 when I started hating almost every character. My wife is a huge fan so it is on in my background weekly. From the parts I still catch, if I lived in their world I’d kill everyone except for Daryl and Michonne. I would start with Rick and make sure he got infected so I could kill him twice.

Why do I read these WD threads? I enjoy reading someone ripping on it because I can’t without irritating the wife. :-)

deepdiver on November 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I thought it was one of the better episodes and had some intense moments.

Why are people surprised that the survivors do stupid things? Look at how idiotic people are when things are peachy.

Nick_Angel on November 11, 2013 at 9:32 PM

deepdiver on November 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Smart man. You must have been married for a while.

cozmo on November 11, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I have only read the comics, never watched the show. I stopped at #48 because I started to feel like I was reading the storyboard of an 80′s slasher film where someone dies in a particularly gruesome way every few minutes. Maybe the show is better.

I started reading the comics because we were at ComicCon this past summer and they love them some WD there. They had a zombie course where you could pay $60 to have zombies chase you through a long and elaborate prison set-up and passersby could watch through the fence. I was told WD was a comic book for adults so I thought I would take a look. Turns out to be worse than Game of Thrones (which I love) for knocking people off. Not my thing after all.

inmypajamas on November 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Nick_Angel on November 11, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Yep, for the most part this is the survivor group that is similar to the passengers on that ship in one of the “Hitch Hiker” books.

The smart survivors want nothing to do with most of these people. If the one’s they have an eye on survive when this group turns into a smorgasbord, they will be welcomed.

Maybe they are letting Carol in now.

cozmo on November 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM

When Hershel had to kill the people he was helping hours before that is one place he can’t come back from. It might have been his first time he had to kill someone he knew. He can mow down a hoard of walkers with the shotgun but to stab one in the head and in their face is different. That is why he needed the sheet and cried over Dr. S with bible in hand. It was a big charter development builder for Hershel.

It will be interesting who the governor will target more. Rick or
Michonne. She was the one that “killed” his daughter but Rick ended his rule of Woodbruy.

tjexcite on November 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM

If the walking dead were attracted to noise like gunfire, all you’d have to do is pop a grenade out about 100 yards. The launcher makes a little bloop and then kaboom! When the zombies go towards the noise you fire for effect and the walking dead are turned into little non-walking zombie pieces.

claudius on November 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

The show could have been redeemed if Carol had shot Rick and ended his whiny, self-absorbed life. Better to have no leadership than the crap Rick has shoveled out since the beginning.

Wendya on November 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I’m too annoyed to review the rest properly.

With you this time…

They still haven’t fixed the freaking fence and still haven’t found a way to draw the Z’s away from the fence that they just pushed over?

Security is not at the top of the list?

Plus, if the fence is that easy to push over… how did they ever keep anyone in that prison?

Hog Wild on November 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I thought this episode was the best so far of the season. I enjoyed it. And I hate people hacking and coughing up blood, so in view of that, I figure it must have been pretty good.

I’m not in the demographic, either. And I wouldnt be caught (walking) dead watching those other shows mentioned.

Some viewers, including myself, have just become jaded, I think. My advice: Lower your expectations. If you find it entertaining, that’s all it needs to be.

As far as their stupidity is concerned, we’ve known that since at least when they were on the farm, wasting all their time emoting, rather than fortifying the farm in the slightest.

But we also know if they weren’t stupid, they’d be safe, the zombies would be dead, and there would be no show.

Alana on November 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Plot synopsis makes me glad I stopped watching TV in 1972.

unclesmrgol on November 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Dongemaharu on November 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Well, it was pretty dumb.

If you’ve got the firepower and ammo, why wait for the Zombie Horde to breech the wire? Just mow ‘em down as they come to eat the rats the kid was tossing them through the fence a few episodes back.

(Good grief, I can’t believe I’m actually posting on this…)

Bruno Strozek on November 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

(Good grief, I can’t believe I’m actually posting on this…)
Bruno Strozek on November 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I really thought they would eventually just light them on fire. Seems like the easy way. But I guess they were saving the gas for the cars.

Dongemaharu on November 12, 2013 at 1:33 AM

jazzuscounty on November 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Good point. In the book World War Z, Cuba comes out of the “war” with the strongest monetary currency and a robust new economy precisely due to being an island and (after witnessing its neighboring islands being overwhelmed and destroyed by seagoing refugees) instituting a strict protocol for accepting émigrés.

The zombies survived and infested bodies of water in WWZ.

jix on November 12, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Yea, but wasn’t Rick and Carl using the AR-15s awesome ?!

kurtzz3 on November 12, 2013 at 2:32 AM

precious-pony Rick

Rick is the main character of the show. If he dies at all, it will be in the last episode of the series.

However – I agree that the cure for the blood-cough is a real challenge to the ole suspension-of-disbelief skills.

Bruno Strozek on November 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I wondered the same thing. The only explanation I can think of is that they were afraid of gunfire attracting even more of the damn things. Personally, I would have doused ‘em with kerosene and lit a match.

BTW – I’m pretty sure it was the governor feeding them rats to attract more of them to the prison.

DRayRaven on November 12, 2013 at 6:20 AM

The governor is the pied piper so it would make sense he’s herding rats. The Japanese kid is never going to die because he’s the anti-metaphor for Japanese culture. That and he’s hasn’t received any other offers yet. My favorite was the GA redneck cop Shane and his uber hipster earlobe gauges. Rick’s an englsh actor doing his best billy bob. The show should have taken place in SoCal. Only time they show that place is if some redneck hillbillies are moving in after discovering Texas tea come bubblin up. So sick of Hollywood. 7.8 is what Hollywood needs. A good 7.8

pc on November 12, 2013 at 7:27 AM

The way AR-15′s are being used in media is to give them the appearance of being some sort of exotic make believe weapon. To wit – the new batch of video game commercials. They want to create cartoons out of long rifles so that they become the equivalent to something like a rocket launcher. Who thinks rocket launchers should be part of the right to keep and bear arms. That and they need some more AR violence to get the public to agree to confiscation. Trust nothing coming from the entertainment media complex.

pc on November 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM

fire + zombie == very bad

Nothing like a horde of walking torches burning up the place.

They show that they can make a silencer. It would seem that a .22 would be able to take out a zombie. So, why not just get some .22 automatics with silencers to dispatch the horde safely and quietly?

Well, as been said; “If they were smart, then there wouldn’t be a show.”

LoganSix on November 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM

It’s when the eyes begin to bleed that spells imminent end. If you were paying attention and not frothing at the mouth you would have noticed when Herschel was in the cell with Doctor S giving him a “you’re gonna make it!” pep-talk, it wasn’t until Herschel shined the light into the Doc’s eyes that he knew he wasn’t going to make it.

This isn’t to say that in a real-world scenario Glenn wouldn’t have died; anyone in that condition probably would. But ever since this sickness manifested, the writers have done a pretty good job of hammering home the point that the “imminent death” stage of the virus is when the eyes begin to bleed.

Pale Rider on November 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM

fire + zombie == very bad

Nothing like a horde of walking torches burning up the place.

lol, true…
I was thinking they would stay clustered at the fence.
Best not to take chances, though.

DRayRaven on November 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Plot synopsis makes me glad I stopped watching TV in 1972.

unclesmrgol on November 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Then go crotchet a blanket for your grandchildren, Doris.

Pale Rider on November 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I was amused that the one character whose story line you found interesting because of her growth has left. Although I suspect that Carol will be back some day.

MJBrutus on November 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I got to the point where I felt like the producers were treating us like zombies; they heard season’s two complaints and thought the answer was more gore.

So by end of season two, we have unlimited ammo picking off walkers like a video game. And by season four, we have blood-n-guts everywhere and freshly-undead heads so fragile it takes only a single stomp to smoosh brains.

eforhan on November 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM

jazzuscounty on November 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I can’t get enough of it for some reason and I also was never into AI or DH. Like you though, I have definitely wondered about islands and whether the zombies can swim, etc.

I thought this episode was good, it was pretty intense throughout. However, I have often wondered why they are not just mowing down the walkers through the fence rather than waiting until the fence is breaking down. What is that about?

hollygolightly on November 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM

So he’s saying that the zombies are secondary and the narrative between people is more important…

hmmm… sounds suspiciously like he’s contradicting himself.

Keith_Indy on November 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I liked it. It felt darker than other episodes.

I just finished watching “In the Flesh” which was a three part BBC take on zombies. The basics of the show is that they have a cure for the zombies that controls them and brings back their memories. The cured zombies now have to try to return to the past lives among the people they may have terrorized.

Dr. Frank Enstine on November 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I enjoyed the episode. Since it’s a TV show I can forgive a lot of things. My only issue is, why are all the other folks who joined the core group in prison always sitting on their ass?

gator70 on November 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM

We watch it as a family (my kids are teenagers) and we decided that this episode was all about hope. The quote from Steinbeck about losing hope being quicker than a bullet is an explanation for why Hershell went into the quarantine area. His care for the sick, his tea, the iv’s, none of them were really why most of the victims hung on so long — it was because Hershell gave them hope.

This is also why Rick and Carl shared a fresh green pea pod at the end as a symbol of hope for the future.

We cannot give up hope for our country and our way of life either. We must not. If Glenn could hang on and keep fighting even though it would be easier to give up, if Hershell could keep trying even though all seemed lost, we can too. That’s the message from this episode, and it’s a damned fine one.

bonnie_ on November 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM

“Mama, season four’s just begun, and now I’ve gone and thrown it all away!”

EricW on November 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Maybe I missed it, but where is the .50 cal that was used on the prison last season? And couldn’t they park a vehicle against the fence? And there is a stream running parallel to the fence. How do the zombie’s get across it?

AND, where do all the fresh zombie’s come from? It’s been a year since the outbreak and they have had no contact from the outside. The only hint I saw was the horde of zombie’s Daryl and the group encountered. I figure the train was full living folks and somehow was over-run with walkers.

AND, how long does dead flesh survive? Brain or no, it requires muscle to move about, and after a year, all flesh, brains included, would have rotted away.

csdeven on November 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Why does this guy who obviously hates the show continue to do reviews on it.

I mean look at the shows ratings,

And contrairy to this authors wet dream of killing of Rick, the walking dead is Ricks story, from the hospital to the current situation.

there are dozens of ideas the fans have to improve security ect at the prison, thats part of the show.

so maybe this author should watch something hi-brow to his liking say “keeping up with the kardasians” or something like that.

sniffles1999 on November 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Since the zombies only gather where they can see you, why not just hang sheets on the inside of the fences so they go somewhere else.

also on the scene where rick and carl took out several hundred with thier m-4 carbines, first of all why full auto, thats a waste.
and second if 2 guys could take down a herd, how could the army get over run.

A slow moving m113 with a few troops with weapons on semi could
mow down thousands, and it would not get stuck on zombie guts as its a tracked vehicle.

and the big one, the same mistake they repeated at the pharmacy near the farm is this, why make runs for one or two items, get a truck and take every drug and medical accessory in the building.

sniffles1999 on November 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM

The biggest oversight of any truth in TWD is this:

All of Georgia is awash in so many firearms, ammo, “real” SUVs and privately owned gray-market military vehicles, that the entire state could be cleared from end-to-end by 150 fit people in a year. The time period to engaged a ZA suspension of belief required to watch this show expired at the CDC.

Shaughnessy on November 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Who knew a zombie show would create such existential ponderances?

A truly terrorizing glimpse of the apocalypse (power grid collapse) was observed in a recent documentary. No zombies, but similar fights for survival against what homo sapiens who have chucked their humanity. Those who can escape the chaos of the cities form small societies and establish order and divisions of labor. Not so far from TWD. In the end an infected cut does the father in, for lack of antibiotics.

shades_of_gasden on November 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Shaughnessy on November 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The zombie outbreak would last about a wee in Montana.

“Gee, I’m glad that’s over I was down to my last 1000 rounds!”

“Yep, close one!”