Observing Veterans Day 2013

posted at 8:01 am on November 11, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

As we do each year, today the nation will take some extra time out to honor those who served their nation in uniform. For those of us who answered the call, it’s frequently a day filled with mixed emotions, but a lot of happiness as well. When we go down to the VFW or the local Legion post, nobody really expects people to come running up and gushing “thank you” to us (though it’s nice when it happens… and it does happen), but it’s also a chance for those of us with a bit more gray hair to welcome the newest vets.

The veterans show up in all walks of life, and that includes serving in elected office. Robert Costa at The Corner brings our attention to a video from the NRSC which also seeks to honor some of those who served.

In a new video, the National Republican Senatorial Committee salutes veterans, including Representative Tom Cotton, who’s running for Senate in Arkansas against Democrat Mark Pryor. Also featured: NRSC chairman Jerry Moran and John McCain, who speaks warmly of his family’s service.

“I am very glad that I joined the Army,” Cotton says. “I look back on it with great pride, a sense of honor, and thankfulness.”

I hope you’ll all take a moment out today to say Thank You to the veterans in your life, and not just forget about it tomorrow. There is a whole new generation of veterans coming home to us and they deserve all the support we can give them as they launch into the next chapter in their lives. Now, in closing, please visit our friend Jeff at The Lid who offers up A Veteran’s Day Prayer.

Comments

Observing Veterans Day 2013

…God Bless Them!
…Every One!

KOOLAID2 on November 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Thank You to all the present & past veterans!

22044 on November 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

My dad was with some of the first troops into N.Africa and landed on Omaha Beach on DDay.

docflash on November 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM

To All Military,..of the WEST,..Thank-You For Your Courage and Sacrifice,
and to The Familys as well.
—————————

Homeless Veteran Timelapse Transformation

Homeless Veteran Timelapse Transformation
by RobBlissCreative

9,921,212 views 4 days ago
**************************

canopfor on November 11, 2013 at 7:13 AM

canopfor on November 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

From one veteran to many: Happy Veterans Day.

VibrioCocci on November 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

God Bless our Veterans

workingclass artist on November 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ……………………

The Associated Press ‏@AP 12m

AP VIDEO: California man sells his private collection of tanks, other military vehicles to public museum: http://apne.ws/17pXmKI -SS
===============================================================

Calif. Tank Collection Sold to Mass. Museum

Published on Nov 10, 2013

Administrators of an historic military vehicle collection in California plan to mark Veteran’s Day by signing over tanks and other military hardware to a Massachusetts-based nonprofit that preserves and displays the machines. (Nov. 11)
======================

canopfor on November 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM

canopfor on November 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Thank you and God Bless!!!

cmsinaz on November 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Thank you to all the veterans for your service. May we never forget what you fought for especially when it’s so close to being taken away from us.

One of my all time favorite Reagan quotes

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
Ronald Reagan

gophergirl on November 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

In NYC…

“NYC Food Bank Head: 40% Of Veterans Need Food Assistance
95,000 Former Service Members In NYC Eating At Soup Kitchens, Pantries…”

workingclass artist on November 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Texas Roadhouse is offering a free lunch today to current and retired military personnel. Click here for details. (Proof of service required.)

aunursa on November 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM

A big “thank you!” to all our veterans, both here at home and serving overseas. We appreciate all that you do to keep us safe.

May God bless you and your families.

AZCoyote on November 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Thanks Jazz! Happy Veterans Day and thanks to all who serve and have served in the US military. I’ll be heading to my VFW post later for a lunch honoring those of us who served, but am going to be serving once again….lunch that it. It’s an honor do do it.

simkeith on November 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Canada How Will You Remember Them? (HD) – Remembrance Day 2013

Uploaded on Nov 5, 2011
***********************

canopfor on November 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

After watching a veterans parade in New York (WWI), Will Rogers said that after all their marching in the Army, if we really wanted to honor the veterans, let the veterans sit in the stands and have the people march by.

Our very good area grocery store gave any veteran that showed up a free lunch of their choice from their deli. They set up tables and the men (and women) came for a get together they will long remember. Many were wheeled in, many came like the riddle of the sphinx on three legs, many were still young and spry. Some served in the same units a half a century apart. I didn’t take a lunch, but I took much more.

By the way, this same store often has bags of canned and dry goods set out at the checkout so you can pay $15 and they will get them to a food bank. OH! those evil capitalist pigs! /sarc I only wish I could name the store on HA.

Old Country Boy on November 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Who is Pfc. Clarence Merriott, and why was his Purple Heart for sale?
By Chelsea J. Carter, CNN
updated 7:52 AM EST, Mon November 11, 2013
******************************************

(*NN) — Mixed in with costume jewelry and trinkets was a gold and purple heart-shaped medal bearing the image of George Washington.

A Purple Heart, Matthew Carlson thought to himself. But what was it doing at a swap meet in Glendale, Arizona, for just anyone to buy?

How much do you want for it, he asked. Forty dollars, the vendor said.

“I got $20 on me right now,” Carlson said. “I’ll give it to you right now.”

At least, the Vietnam veteran told himself, he wouldn’t have to “see it hanging on the shirt of some kid going to a rave party or something like that.”

Who did it belong to? The answer was engraved on the back of the medal: “For Military Merit, Clarence M. Merriott.”

But that only spawned more questions: Who was he? How did he earn the medal? And how did it end up on a table of trinkets at the Glendale Park ‘n Swap in January?
(more….)
==========

canopfor on November 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

A salute and a thank you to everyone who has served.

TooTall on November 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

One of my all time favorite Reagan quotes

Ronald Reagan

gophergirl on November 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

gophergirl:Beautiful—–:)

canopfor on November 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Thank you.

PappyD61 on November 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Good Lord,.. of all days…..

François Hollande
7m

French President Francois Hollande booed during Armistice Day memorial ceremony; 70 people arrested after scuffles broke out – @RFI
read more on english.rfi.fr
============================

canopfor on November 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Salute to all my brothers and sisters in arms.
Remember one of the first acts of Obama was to declare you all potential terrorists.

Grunt on November 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Watching the news this morning and I have to ask why can’t the media know and understand the differences between Memorial Day and Veterans Day?

As a veteran this really pisses me off because the newscaster this morning stated today was to honor those who fought and died in the military, when that is what Memorial day is for. Veterans Day is the day to honor all those living who served in the military.

JeffinSac on November 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

When I look at the great tributes that have been made by all of our veterans, I can’t help but be hopeful for the future of this country. The unintended positive consequence from having such long wars with so many veterans is the return of a new generation of patriots. Patriots who will carry on the legacy of the greatest generation: honor, sacrifice, love of God and country . I pray that their character will pass down through generations in their families and throughout our great nation. Thank you men and women in uniform, our country owes you a debt of gratitude.

SayNo2-O on November 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

And the living have a responsibility to remember the conditions

that led to the wars in which our heroes died. Perhaps we can start by remembering this: that all of those who died for us and our country were, in one way or another, victims of a peace process that failed; victims of a decision to forget certain things; to forget, for instance, that the surest way to keep a peace going is to stay strong. Weakness, after all, is a temptation — it tempts the pugnacious to assert themselves — but strength is a declaration that cannot be misunderstood. Strength is a condition that declares actions have consequences. Strength is a prudent warning to the belligerent that aggression need not go unanswered.

Peace fails when we forget what we stand for.

– President Ronald Reagan, November 11, 1985

May God Bless oour Veterans and their families today and every day.

kingsjester on November 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Thank God for all who wore and who wear the uniform. We owe you more than we could ever pay.

*Salutes*

TXUS on November 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM

God bless our Vets.

We can never thank you enough.

Maddie on November 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I served 12 years, but I won’t fly the flag because I do not support the federal government in its current iteration.

claudius on November 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

One observation this Veterans Day………. It was the US Marines and not the Unied effing Nations first on the scene in the Phillipines. Just sayin’

Happy Nomad on November 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

JeffinSac on November 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

It’s not just reporters; I think it might be partially because in some countries (Canada included? canopfor?) Nov 11 is Remembrance Day. When my family was overseas (long, LONG time ago) I remember reading In Flanders Field on Nov 11, though I can’t swear it was in the Stars and Stripes.

Shay on November 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Hot Air has got to get rid of the auto-refresh feature. I’m really getting tired of having entire posts eaten!

JeffinSac on November 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

While Veteran’s Day by name is for those who live, for many, even Americans, the date is also Armistice Day (or Poppy Day), to recall those who didn’t come back in 1918, and by extension from any other war/conflict/police action.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae

I’ve got a great-uncle buried in the Meuse-Argonne cemetary, and while we remember him in May, it’s always much more immediate in November. I also lived in Ireland for eight years, and attended Trinity College Dublin. On the Sunday nearest the 11th, we always took a portion of the chapel service across the square to the vestibule of the 1937 Reading Room, which was also a memorial hall, with panels listing the college’s dead in the wars. For a nominally neutral country during WWII, we still lost a lot of alumni.

LibraryGryffon on November 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Also – after WWII, Armistice Day became Remembrance Day. When you have a Day called both Veterans’ Day and Remembrance Day, you’re going to get some differing opinions on what the purpose of the day is.

LibraryGryffon on November 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

D’oh!

Canada How Will You Remember Them? (HD) – Remembrance Day 2013

canopfor on November 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Nevermind, canopfor, I missed that one.

I *loved* the video.

Shay on November 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

claudius on November 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Yeah, we’re likewise conflicted about that here. So my husband put out the US Navy flag – but we have to wonder wtf is going on in the minds at the top there too.

Eren on November 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Thank you for your service!

Signed,

Service Brat

Del Dolemonte on November 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

CO. “A” 19th ARMD. INF. BN. CAMP CAMPBELL, KY 1944.

Miss you, Pops.

Thank you, Veterans.

Fallon on November 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

– President Ronald Reagan, November 11, 1985

May God Bless oour Veterans and their families today and every day.

kingsjester on November 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I was going to post this.

Thank you.

ToddPA on November 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

The quote was from the bottom of my dad’s training camp picture just before they shipped out.

Fallon on November 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

God Bless and Thank you and those words are entirely inadequate.

Cindy Munford on November 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Welcome home vets, welcome home.

Oldnuke on November 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Eren on November 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I watched Band of Brothers again yesterday (The whole series) and at the end I kept thinking WTF has happened to us?

Oldnuke on November 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I wrote this a year ago, but since I’m still in the military, I think it still rings true for me this year.

On Veteran’s Day, don’t thank me, thank my wife…

It happens to a lot of us in uniform. We are pumping gas or grabbing a household necessity in the grocery store. We happen to be in uniform because we are headed to or from work. It usually comes from nowhere and, at least for me, it usually takes a moment to realize the comment is aimed at me.

“Thank you for your service.”

What do I say to that? How should I respond? I never know the answer to this, thus I am usually uncomfortable for a moment and simply say “Thank you” in return. Sometimes that answer seems to welcome further probing like “what ship are you on?” or “where are you stationed?”

I try to be polite to any stranger who approaches me in public regardless of the topic at hand. This situation, though, perplexes me. I am not comfortable responding to “thank you” and “I appreciate your service” or any other acknowledgement of my military service in a public setting.

I do consider my brothers and sisters in arms to be heros. I just dont think of myself that way. I wouldn’t dare speak for them, but I am pretty sure they feel the same way. Most of us just see ourselves as regular people doing a job for extraordinary organizations. Nothing we do individually means anything in most cases. We work as a team.

If anyone needs a sincere “Thank you”, it is our families. It is our spouses and children and parents who stay behind and carry the weight of our household responsibilities without our help. They often take on multiple roles and learn new skills just to survive while we are away doing the nation’s business. They take on the burden of the pain and suffering when their hero is lost to the nation’s cause. They are the ones who are forced by circumstances out of their control to wonder all day every day if today will be the day they get the bad news. They are the ones who watch the nightly news with keen interest and hope that some recipe for world peace will be discovered, only to find out that it becomes more out of reach every day.

If anyone has earned a special “day” on the calendar, if anyone has earned a free meal at three dozen national chain restaurants, it is the family members of military personnel. Their sacrifice and dedication deserve all of the obligatory mentions I keep hearing tossed about on television commercials and news shows as Veteran’s Day approaches. I hear endless talking heads reminding me to “make sure I stop a military veteran and thank them for their service”.

Don’t thank me. Show me you appreciate my service by showing me you are dedicated to making America the greatest country on Earth with the way you conduct yourself and the way you help your neighbor. Show me my sacrifice is worth it by becoming an educated voter who knows and understands the issues and by not being someone who just watches an hour of network news every night to see how to vote. Reward my time away from my family by making sure they have a safe and comfortable community to live in. Do not steal their treasure by being a strain on government resources through negligence, laziness or disregard for the difference between right and wrong.

So to all of the people out there who think you need to take a moment to thank me for taking up arms in defense of your liberty, there is someone else who makes it possible for me to do what I do. There is someone else who needs your benevolence and your dedication to keeping America great. This Veteran’s Day, I will be off work. I will be taking time to think about those who came before me and acted as heroes so that when my time to serve came, it might be easier for me than it was for them. It is my job to carry on their tradition and continue their progress. It is my job. I am owed no gratitude for that. In doing that job, I am placing extraordinary strain on my family back home. I am taking something from them that cannot be replaced by a TV commentator calling me a hero. This Veteran’s Day, do not thank me.

If you want to thank someone, thank my wife and my son.

NavyDavy on November 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Thank you, veterans, each and every one of you.

ITguy on November 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I’d like to thank the many thousands of Americans who crossed the border and joined the Canadian forces in WWI. They helped make Canadas the most feared and successful military formation of the entire war. The last Victoria Cross winner of the Canadian Corps, died in Maine a few years ago.

BL@KBIRD on November 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Thank You! Sorry we here at home are letting you down so badly. You never let us down.

Bmore on November 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM

NavyDavy on November 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM

And thank you, spouses, parents, and children of veterans, each and every one of you.

ITguy on November 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Thank you.

It was an honor to serve my country and in the company of great guys.

Happy Veteran’s day to all who served!

dogsoldier on November 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Thank you to all who served, alive and dead, and thank you to all your families.

Sorry that the US people have become so stupid.

“We are taxed in our bread and our wine, in our incomes and our investments, on our land and on our property not only for base creatures who do not deserve the name of men, but for foreign nations, complaisant nations who will bow to us and accept our largesse and promise us to assist in the keeping of the peace – these mendicant nations who will destroy us when we show a moment of weakness or our treasury is bare, and surely it is becoming bare! We are taxed to maintain legions on their soil, in the name of law and order and the Pax Romana, a document which will fall into dust when it pleases our allies and our vassals. We keep them in precarious balance only with our gold. Is the heartblood of our nation worth these? Were they bound to us with ties of love, they would not ask our gold. They take our very flesh, and they hate and despise us. And who shall say we are worthy of more? … When a government becomes powerful it is destructive, extravagant and violent; it is an usurer which takes bread from innocent mouths and deprives honorable men of their substance, for votes with which to perpetuate itself.” — Cicero

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Thank you, veterans!

SouthernGent on November 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM

What shame, what shame.

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Michelle looks pouting mad, surrounded by the generals today.

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Good job, NavyDavy. Thank you all.

rogerb on November 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM

God Bless our Veterans and their Families at home and abroad, today and forever more.

bluefox on November 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM

workingclass artist on November 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I’ll try to keep my outrage contained on this thread.

bluefox on November 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Happy Veterans Day to all fellow Vets out there. And, thanks to Hotair members as well. Everyone always has kind words for the military.

Static21 on November 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Old Country Boy on November 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

What a beautiful thing to do. I’m sure it was appreciated.

bluefox on November 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Dumbass in Chief

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Nice story

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Cicero

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Replacing the two words “Pax Romana” and the authors’ name, that could be Todays News.

Some things never change.

bluefox on November 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

As Americans, we enjoy a lifestyle that is both envied and hated across the globe. We have freedoms that many people can only dream of and we have the freedom to follow our dreams as far as they will take us. But that freedom has a price. There are those of us who willingly chose to stand in harms way to keep those who would see our way of life destroyed at bay.

Thank you to all who serve and have ever served in the finest military in the world. America would not exist without you.

Wolftech on November 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

DAYTON, Ohio
Known as the Doolittle Raiders, the 80 men who risked their lives on a World War II bombing mission on Japan after the attack on Pearl Harbor were toasted one last time by their surviving comrades and honored with a Veterans Day weekend of fanfare shared by thousands.

One of the commenters said this:

La Familia

The story is true. After picking his men the first thing Dolittle told them was if you volunteer for this “You probably are not coming back and you are going to die; So only step forward to volunteer knowing that.”

Every man stepped forward.

3 of the 4 Survivors were present. Pics and the article gives more info.

bluefox on November 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Nice to read all of the comments today on behalf of our Military.

Thanks canopfor for your links. Missed seeing you:-)

bluefox on November 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

NavyDavy – I understand where you’re coming from. My Dad and my hubby have always felt the same way. They’re both a little uncomfortable when someone comes up to say “thanks.” My Dad served in WWII and Korea, and retired after 30 years in the Air Force. My hubby served in Vietnam. Of late, both of them are getting used to being thanked. In particular, my Dad is getting used to the pomp and circumstance that surrounds the old WWII vets these days. I tell him to accept the very well-deserved well wishes, and go with the flow! It’s cool that people want to search him out and honor him!! The Vietnam vets are finally getting their due, too! I can’t be more thankful of that. “Welcome home brother” always chokes me up when I hear them greet each other that way. They certainly weren’t welcomed home after what they gave to their country back in the day.

And NavyDavy – THANK YOU for your service!!!

And to ALL the veterans and their families, I thank every single one of you, from the bottom of my heart!!!!

littlekittie on November 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

To all the veterans and their families – check out Princess Cruise Lines, Cruise for a Cause. Last week, my family and I attended the very first veterans cruise, to honor our US military veterans and active service members. Part of our fare, with matching funds from Princess Cruise Lines was donated to Operation Homefront and the Vietnam War Memorial Fund.

It was amazing. We met so many fabulous vets and active service members. Represented there were men and women from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, and Afghanistan. I think there were a few from Iraq, too. The lineup of speakers and presenters was amazing. Rockie Lynne’s band played a very moving tribute to the attendees. The CEO of Princess Cruise Lines also served in Vietnam, and I was moved to tears when he addressed the crowd and his fellow Vietnam veterans with, “welcome home.” I can’t wait for the next veterans cruise. WELL worth it! I hope ALL you veterans and families can come next year!

littlekittie on November 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I kinda have mixed feelings about Veteran’s Day, because guys like me who just wore the uniform during four years of peacetime (’80 – ’84) are lumped together with heroes who fought bravely in times of war.
The latter are far more worthy of honor.

itsnotaboutme on November 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Sadly, today is a day for the glorification of war. Here is the original intent of Veteran’s (formerly known as Armistice) Day:

Congressional Act (52 Stat.351: 5U.S. Code, Sec.87a) approved May 13, 1938, made November 11th of each year a legal Federal Holiday,“A day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated and known as ‘Armistice Day’.”

Instead of focusing on peace, Veteran’s day is a day set aside for the glorification of warriors

antifederalist on November 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM

antifederalist on November 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Without our warriors, wars would happen anyway. And we would lose.

Reminds me of Netanyahu’s profound words:

If the Arabs lay down their arms, there would be peace.
If Israel lays down her arms, Israel would cease to exist.

itsnotaboutme on November 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM

antifederalist on November 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM

A couple more good quotes for ya. Guess which presidents said:

“Peace through strength.”

“Talk softly…& carry a big stick.”

itsnotaboutme on November 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Dennis the Menace likes veterans.

There Goes the Neighborhood on November 11, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Why in the poop is this post buried way the crap down the page?!

And if anyone says “Thank You” I’ll reach through the interwebs & smack them-I did NOT serve!

SgtSVJones on November 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I’ve always thought the American flag represented our country, not a specific administration.

rlwo2008 on November 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM

rlwo2008 on November 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM

If only it was this specific Administration. It’s the whole federal entity at this point. Th Republic has become largely a legend that we can only hope to restore. My allegiance is to the Republic, not the federal government or some vague idea of a country. The flag is supposed to represent the Republic.

claudius on November 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Why in the poop is this post buried way the crap down the page?!

When it was posted, it was at the top.

SgtSVJones on November 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Uh…OK.
*scratches head*

itsnotaboutme on November 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM

The latter are far more worthy of honor.

itsnotaboutme on November 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

It doesn’t matter when you served, or where…only that you stepped forward when called, to stand between your country and the evil that would destroy it.
Because of that, I am proud to call you my brother-in-arms.

Solaratov on November 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM