McCain: People are begging me to run for president again

posted at 12:41 pm on November 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

It’s sad that Maverick’s taking this idea just seriously enough that he’d think to mention it to another human being. He’s 77 years old, ran a famously chaotic campaign in 2008 before getting crushed on election day, and would face a much stronger, younger field in the primaries than he did last time. That he forced me just now to devote even half a second of thought to how he might stack up against the 2016 contenders is frankly embarrassing, and something for which I’ll never forgive him. It’s like watching a 60-year-old pitcher announce that he’s thinking of coming out of retirement, if his career highlight had been getting shelled in Game Seven of the World Series.

But — on an egregiously slow holiday news day, this is manna from heaven. I’ll make him a deal: I promise him my endorsement if he chooses Mitt Romney for VP.

“Particularly since the shutdown, I’ve had a spate of e-mails and letters and phone calls saying, ‘Run for president again,’” McCain told The Arizona Republic. “As you know, I’m seriously thinking about running for re-election to the Senate. But I think, in the words of the late Morris K. Udall, as far as my presidential ambitions are concerned, ‘The people have spoken — the bastards.’”…

While even McCain agrees that another presidential candidacy seems far-fetched, Bruce Merrill, a veteran Arizona political scientist and pollster, told The Republic he has fielded multiple calls from out-of-state reporters this year investigating the possibility. McCain was critical of the GOP strategy to try to defund President Barack Obama’s health-care law, resulting in a partial government shutdown. McCain emerged with better national poll numbers than others associated with the crisis, including “tea party”-style U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

“I can assure you, I don’t see it,” said McCain, who will turn 80 in 2016. “It’s not on my radar.”

Two possibilities. One: The letters urging him to run are secretly being sent by Cindy McCain and Meg to boost his spirits. “America needs you more than ever, dad Sen. McCain.” Two: Maverick’s exaggerating the clamor for him to run again as a way of sticking it to the “wacko birds,” to highlight public annoyance over the “defund” strategy. He made a similar point a few weeks ago when he said he was thinking of running for reelection to the Senate. It was the business community, he specified, that was urging him to do so, no doubt for fear that Arizona might otherwise send a tea-party Republican to the Senate who’ll be more willing to to shut down the government again than Maverick is. Claiming that they want him to run for president too is, I guess, his way of emphasizing that parts of the GOP coalition are so alarmed by conservative brinksmanship that they’d actually be nostalgic for — shudder — McCain 2008.

Here’s hoping that he throws caution to the wind and jumps in to do battle with Rand Paul and Ted Cruz. It’ll be the first time in American history that the phrase “you little sh*t” is used at a debate. Exit question: Could he maybe be thinking of challenging Hillary in the Democratic primary instead?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The Today Show audience has just caught up to what would be good in 2008.

Fleuries on November 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Has McCain started smoking crack too?

Harbingeing on November 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I think at this point in time, that McCain just trolls this stuff out there to laugh at the internets flying monkeys crowd outrage.

He’s laughing at you.

Moesart on November 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM

He would do better than Ted Cruz would, anyway.

Want to see the Republican do a Mondale? Let the socons pick the nom. Go ahead, and then let’s watch the epic finger pointing.

Moesart on November 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

John, John, the sound you hear is the alarm clock. Time to wake up. Or better yet, retire and you can sleep and dream as long as you like.

LCDR McCain speaking to a friend of mine(of equal rank) on the hangar deck of the USS Forrestal, “do you know who I am?”. Yeah, John we know who you are. We also know your Daddy and your Granddaddy were Admirals, but you are neither your Daddy nor your Granddaddy.

Oldflyer on November 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

This is The Grand Old Party….

d1carter on November 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Good, him & Christie cancel the liberal/moderate GOP vote and a conservative finally becomes our nominee.

Danielvito on November 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I used to say that McCain was an idiot, but I will revise my theory. He is a delusional, mental case extrodinaire.

mobydutch on November 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Mitt was right. It’s a “47% nation”.

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Except that Mitt should have said “47 million”, of course.

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Just build the dang fence, wouldya Senator?

ajacksonian on November 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

The pathetic old coot has an ego problem. He would probably run with Hillary rather than challenge her.

Just go away, Mr. Irrelevant.

onlineanalyst on November 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

The only ones who want him to run again are Democrats.

ctmom on November 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Go Cruz! (One of the few who sounded the last alarm about Obamacare)

mobydutch on November 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

McCain: People are begging me to run for president again

Stop listening to the voices in your head.

tommer74 on November 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Go ahead. I would love the opportunity to soundly defeat you in the primary.

plaidsheetman on November 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

but you are neither your Daddy nor your Granddaddy.

Oldflyer on November 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

That’s gonna leave a mark.

oldroy on November 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

He would do better than Ted Cruz would, anyway.

Moesart on November 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Christie is a self described Socon and since he wants the R nom he’s going to be even more Socon. My, what will the moderates do?

BoxHead1 on November 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

The only people urging J-Mac to run again are Democrats.

myiq2xu on November 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

OT, but are we getting a Walking Dead thread today?? I am finally caught up and jonesing to actually read the comments in real time!

hollygolightly on November 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I think it’d be entertaining

El_Terrible on November 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM

McCain loves Teddy Roosevelt.

Have we heard Progressive republicans use the term “RATIONAL Conservatives” yet?

That was one of the favorite terms of Teddy here.

PappyD61 on November 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM

He would do better than Ted Cruz would, anyway.

Moesart on November 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

President Romney calls you a genius.

ElectricPhase on November 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM

The delusion is strong with him…

mnjg on November 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

They got Flake in as a conservative senator from Arizona but he’s a joke and they call him McFlake as he takes his marching orders from McCain.

One middle of the road guy is enough (although the democrats will think Flake is too red, to which I reply anything short of pale pink is too red for them).

So, my next question is: Who does Arizona have that is normal, photogenic, has no baggage, and the smarts to run a good campaign that is a Tea Partier/Conservative who can run in that state who will get McCain’s seat?

athenadelphi on November 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

And people think the Democrats are crazy.

Viator on November 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Don’t put it past McCain to play spoiler and run independent, just the final jewel in his “maverick” crown to ruin the 2016 election.

pecan pie on November 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM

What a moron! And a RINO!

ultracon on November 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Really?

Wasn’t one of the big complaints against McCain last time that he was so old that he’d probably die in office and leave his VP to take over? But he’s fit as a fiddle now? Or maybe this time he’ll have some young vibrant presidential stud to inherit the office, somebody that Steve Schmidt and company will be happy with, like Lindsay Graham or Mike Castle? /sarc

Aitch748 on November 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Maybe all his fellow cool guys have convinced him that the only reason he lost was his VP pick? Maybe he wants to join them and throw Palin under the bus?

Or he has lost his flipping mind.

katiejane on November 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Threw up in my mouth a little bit.

faol on November 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM

LOL.

And by “people” he means Cindy McCain and Meghan McCain.

AZCoyote on November 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Wow.
Completely delusional.

ooonaughtykitty on November 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Yeah, both of the delusional, terminally stupid, supporters he has.

Another Drew on November 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Proof Positive That The Old Man Has Dementia.

I’d be willing to bet he can’t even be re-elected to a Senate seat.

He’s ready for the Retirement Home, where he can rail at the other old folks and call them wacko-birds. Buh-bye, John. Don’t let the screen door hit ya in the way out.

mountainaires on November 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

He’s laughing at you.

Moesart on November 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Lolz! We laugh at you whenever you comment here. Lolz! At you, not with you.

Bmore on November 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

You nailed the comments, the other day, on the big thread. Many of us were lauding you.

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Thanks!

It was more than I could take, seeing that RINO puke who WORSHIPED the ground Romney walked, on making those comments about McConnell.

JannyMae on November 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Chris Matthews again?

JeffinOrlando on November 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

He’s laughing at you.

Moesart on November 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Yeah, I’m sure he laughs every day at the thought that I and my fellow Arizonans (and the entire U.S. of A.) are stuck with his RINO ass as a senator for four more years.

If you don’t think this man is an embarrassment to all Republicans — and all Americans — then there is no hope for you.

JannyMae on November 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Yeah your buddy Obama would LOVE it if he’d lose again. Please Arizona find someone conservative who can run against this guy. You owe us for McCain and Flake.

neyney on November 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

athenadelphi on November 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Matt Salmon isn’t baggage free, but he’s fully vetted, and he’s in the House doing what Flake did before he was elected senator. http://salmonforcongress.com/

Flake has been a HUGE disappointment as a successor to Jon Kyl, who was overall a very good senator.

JannyMae on November 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

If this is the Party’s best effort to fight off a conservative, bring it on.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Bwahaha! You are soooo funny McCain.

terryannonline on November 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Doesn’t McCain know that Hillary has her sights on heading up the ticket?

He is talking about running as a Democrat, isn’t he? Ya know, his party.

fogw on November 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Where, in his vast military experience, did he learn that giving ammo to the enemy and shooting your own troops was a good idea?

IndieDogg on November 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM

some suspect real soon after he was captured.
I myself have serious doubts about his “heroism” we’re told about.

dmacleo on November 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I take it Meggie Mac needs a little help to become sort of relevant again in a Kardashian sort of way?

stvnscott on November 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I am starting to believe that has mental issues. It could be because of the time he spent as a POW. He actually did a lot for his country but his time has past.

alanstern on November 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

This is laughable. I feel we wasted a nomination on this guy. If it weren’t for SP he would have been blown out.

rjoco1 on November 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

If he refers to his daughter as “people” then that statement might be true but only if.

Pardonme on November 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The only people who want McCain to run again are those who want the Democrats to win again. He’s beyond senile; and so far out of touch with what the American electorate wants, it’s shocking.

He didn’t mount any sort of defence against Team Obama running up to 2008; and he refused to use the only tools in the shed that could have given him a victory over the Great Socialist.

Off to the glue factory, McCain. Say, “Hi!” to Boxer for us.

Mick Psyphon on November 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Two possibilities

Three. He’s nuts.

Cleombrotus on November 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Of course people have been begging you to run John .. they are called Democrats ..

dugbru on November 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM

A mind is a terrible thing to lose, or not to have a mind at all. How true that is. – Dan Q

VorDaj on November 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Any Christie hater should be begging for McCain to enter the GOP primaries.

cdog0613 on November 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I’m done with that, personally – he cashed, then overdrew that account long ago.

Midas on November 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Eh, it’s possible to still respect the guy for his past accomplishments, without wanting him anywhere near the oval office. XD

WolvenOne on November 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Well, at least we know he graduated at the BACK of his class at the Naval Academy. Were it not for his family history I have doubts he would have been allowed to graduate at all.
Might explain why both John and King Putt are afflicted with narcissistic behaviors, due to all the behind the scenes manipulations and maneuvering of senior family members and all that?

Missilengr on November 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM

They need to change the rules of the Senate so there aren’t so many traumatic head injuries. It’s just unacceptable.

TexasDan on November 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Oh Jonny, just become a Democrat and make it official. This RINO thing looks bad on you.

You don’t like the Tea Party.

You love K Street and Wall Street.

You’re not in favor of the GOP’s social agenda.

You want to help Obamacare.

The press loves you until you dare talk to a real Republican.

Just go, we won’t mind.

Chockblock on November 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

There isn’t a word in the English language to describe just how fast I would shred the top of the ballot if this fool were nominated.

Bishop on November 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM

That moron you see in the mirror shaving doesn’t count, even if you have seen him thousands of times

HBowmanMD on November 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM

JannyMae on November 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

It’s legal in Arizona to recall U.S. Senators.

RickB on November 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I hope he runs, the bastard. He probably run on the triumphant Zerokare. He will receive a well deserved comeuppance.

rik on November 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Hell no.

He is yet another example of why term limits are necessary.

Theophile on November 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM

In the immortal words of Mrs. Lillian Carter, “President of what?”

Adjoran on November 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Sounds like the evening hosts at MSNBC have all gotten together and decided McCain is their guy.

TarheelBen on November 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Do we need any more proof that this old Rino hack is delusional?

conservativeBC on November 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Maybe he’ll run as Hillary’s VP since he seems to hate his own party so much.

Meanwhile, where is Hot Air’s coverage of the weirdness occurring with 60 Minutes and the Benghazi story? The left is lying about it all over the place and trying to poison the well for any future coverage, and they are getting away with it.

A.C. McCloud on November 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM

It’s legal in Arizona to recall U.S. Senators.

RickB on November 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

“In Jersey, anything’s legal – as long as you don’t get caught.”

Arizona can recall whoever they wish. However, the Constitution sets a six-year term, and recall is not a recognized way to shorten it.

Adjoran on November 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Is he serious?

BallisticBob on November 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM

McCain: People are begging me to run for president again

Who- Meghan? His imaginary friend?

Marcus Traianus on November 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM

@TarheelBen

I am surprised they are not pushing Chris Christie. Wait, what?

conservativeBC on November 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Allah, you forgot possibility #3: The “people” begging him are all stationed at the DNC. Return Address is D.W.S. somewhere in Florida.

Huckabye-Romney on November 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

In all honesty, I would gladly vote for Hillary over this idiot.

Because low-information voters think conservatism and the GOP are the same thing, a McCain presidency would destroy conservatism in this country for at least a couple of generations.

I’d much rather Hillary, or any other dem, get the blame then have McCain screw everything up with the imprimatur of “bipartisanship”.

Then again, the chances of me voting for any republican any time soon are pretty insignificant anyway, so what difference does it make to me?

Monkeytoe on November 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

From Cindy and Meghan? Or from Dr. Alzheimer?

Besides, calling voters bastards isn’t very P.C.

Steve Z on November 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Monkeytoe on November 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

In 2000, I liked McCain and thought he’d make a decent president. In 2008, I wasn’t thrilled with McCain but respected him for his military service and certainly thought he’d be better than Obama (something I’m not so sure of now). In 2013, I hate McCain and think he is actively working against U.S. interests.

Monkeytoe on November 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The emails are from Killary. She wants him to run against her.

TerryW on November 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM

You’ve got to be s –ing me!

rplat on November 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I’m pretty sure that anyone urging this old fossil to run for president again is no republican, and certainly no conservative.
John McCain screwed us one time; let him retire and go away. Please.

maryo on November 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Must have been Hillary asking him to run again, Obama’s pet dog could beat this fool.

savage24 on November 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Humm!, me thinks, McCain is saying this so Christie’s money bags people pay him off not to run.

To funny, the liberal GOP establishment fighting amongst themselves!

Danielvito on November 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM

On Oct 28th I got the fund-raising email. This was my response:

Mr. McCain,

After your comments following Mr. Cruz’s quasi filibuster speech, I can in no way endorse you or the Republican party.

You and your “Gang” have been willing accomplices in accelerating the decline of our national fabric. Instead of preaching the American dream of individual opportunity, you’ve sided with the Socialists for central control.

Please do the nation a favor and not run for the Senate again.

The only reason I cast my vote for you in the presidential election was because of Sarah Palin. Holding her back, followed by tossing her under the bus was the shallow and petty.

Sincerely,
Pete

PS
Please remove me from any future emails.

Only a complete moron could mis-interpret that to mean “run for President”

hoakie on November 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I was privileged to be at the dinner for the retirement of the C-141 and honoring the Son Tay raiders at Wright Pat AFB in 2006. The Hanoi Taxi was there. McCain was the featured speaker. For whatever it’s worth, he no showed.

His past aside, I don’t like McCain.

justltl on November 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Those ‘voices’ you’re hearing, McCain, are figments of your own imagination… a waking dream…produced by a wounded and flagging ego…or… people being nice to you because they understand that your career is over.

thatsafactjack on November 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM

There is a name for those people, John.

Democrats!

MJBrutus on November 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM

He hates Romney. I’m thinking Graham.

rrpjr on November 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM

His past aside, I don’t like McCain.

justltl on November 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM

He’s a bonafide American hero. A true patriot. Give him a ticker tape parade every year and the key to the city of Phoenix. And for Pete’s sake, get him the he11 out of the Senate and keep him out!

MJBrutus on November 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I always thought that McCain had a few loose screws. This pretty much puts him in the Al Gore home for lunatics.

cajunpatriot on November 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Oh no! Not only is he going senile, he’s becoming schizophrenic!

sadatoni on November 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM

He is as simple as the day is long.

stop2think on November 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Possibility Three: said letters, phone calls, and e-mails are being sent by Democrats who want another weak candidate.

Dunedainn on November 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

So, his family is inundating him with correspondence to keep him away from the house. Can’t say as I blame them, I wouldn’t want him around either.

But of course Meghan’s doing it because she’s found that she’s pretty much irrelevant again and she needs a boost to get back in the spotlight.

ButterflyDragon on November 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Imagination is the last refuge of a sick mind.

philoise65 on November 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM

But remember folks the GOP establishment says it is Ted Cruz that is crazy, not Ahab…

William Eaton on November 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM

The only voters wanting McCain to run are Democrats. The only reason he re-wins that Senate seat is because Democrats vote for him.

GGMac on November 11, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Go ahead jackass. I wont vote for you and you’ll get your wish. Clintoons in the whitehouse again.

TX-96 on November 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I have begged McCain to strap his old insane butt into an A-4E Skyhawk and start flying around Haiphong Harbor.

Wallythedog on November 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM

He would do better than Ted Cruz would, anyway.

Moesart on November 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I thought John McCain talking about running for president would be the funniest thing I would hear all day.

But somehow, you managed to top him.

There Goes the Neighborhood on November 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM