Former MSNBC host liked his plan, but…

posted at 11:31 am on November 9, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

A bit of a quick hit for Saturday which was picked up by Mediaite this week. Dylan Ratigan was a TV news personality on NBC and CNBC, focusing on economic policy and the banking industry, before embarking on a three year stint at MSNBC hosting “The Dylan Ratigan Show.” During its run, he enjoyed some of the highest non-prime time ratings on the network. Though he left in 2011, he remains active as a writer at Huffington Post, among other outlets, usually talking about the evils of money in politics and government.

One other thing changed for Ratigan when he left MSNBC, though. He had to go out and get his own health insurance coverage through a private provider. But now that’s coming to an end.

“Thnx Mr. President.” That’s all former MSNBC host Dylan Ratigan had to say to President Barack Obama on Thursday when he announced that the health insurance plan he purchased on the individual market after leaving the news network was being cancelled. The new plan he was eligible would cost him 3.5 times more than his previous plan.

The tweet in question went as follows:

“I bought a catastrophic health policy for $170/mo when I left MSNBC,” Ratigan confessed. “Obamacare cancelled the policy. New rate $600/mo. Thnx Mr. President!”

This apparently led to a lengthy twitter exchange with various Obamacare supporters who attempted to convince him that losing his plan was actually a good thing, since it wasn’t a very good plan to begin with. Ratigan appears unconvinced. Of course, with the career that he’s had, one could assume that he’s got enough cash squirreled away and sufficient income to pick up a new policy. But what about the millions of others who find themselves in similar situations and don’t have that kind of financial backstop?

The temptation toward schadenfreude is strong in this one, my friends.

Comments

It doesn’t matter because Obama is madder than anyone…

right2bright on November 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Chickens, home, roosting and what not. :)

ThePrez on November 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM

0b00ba was the first one to alert everyone to all the problems, you know.

Akzed on November 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Nobody said that reparations would be easy.

justltl on November 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Maybe, but I wouldn’t assume $500 per month is a matter of indifference to him. That he only bought a catastrophic plan to begin with indicates he may not have a lot of funds. And for him to go against his MSNBC buddies and HIS president must have required much outrage.

bobs1196 on November 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Not sure about Mr. Ratigan, but the rest of PMSDNC has gone a-whoring after every Democrat they could identify. Must be tough, being a $2.00 hooker. Does he expect sympathy?

oldleprechaun on November 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Obama is so sorry that your insurance policy was canceled through no fault of his own.

Philly on November 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Schoddyfraud

YES,..the Shoddy Fraud that is ObamaCare was perpetuated by the likes of former MSNBC host:

“Maddog” Radigan

and now ObamaCare bites Radigan in the butt.

Thankfully, “Maddog” Radigan has the same buttlick skills of any dog, mad or otherwise.
Instead of buttlicking for Obama, he can now use those skills on himself for a degree of comfort… ;)

BigSven on November 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Ratigan’s irked at Obama, but as with other liberals, it’s mainly because he thinks he botched the path to single-payer. Dylan’s mad at what liberalism’s done to his health care premiums, but thinks more liberalism down the line is the answer, so this is just self-centeredness on his part, not some sudden reassessment of his own ideological beliefs.

jon1979 on November 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Obamacare cancelled the policy. New rate $600/mo. Thnx Mr. President!

It was a crappy subpar plan anyhoo Dylan. So just shut yo’ face and pay up sucka! Thanx for carryin’ our water for all them years!
@ItsTheLawSuckaz!

ted c on November 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

This really pisses me off for several reasons:

1. It assumes people are too stupid to make rational choices in their own best interest.
2. It assumes businesses are in the habit of selling their customers “substandard” products. I just finished a discussion with my 9th grade daughter explaining to her why companies do not in fact sell bad products or offer poor service; they want to stay in business! They are rational actors pursuing their best interests and harming customers is against that best interest.
3. It assumes a bunch if technocrats can make superior decisions without complete knowledge better than we can with complete knowledge.
4. It assumes that we’re all better off submitting to the state.

I really, really hate Liberals.

Charlemagne on November 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Couldn’t happen to a nicer man than the Occutard, Dennis Ratfinkigan.

Glenn Jericho on November 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I’ve done a preliminary analysis of my health spending over the last 10 years and have decided that if my insurance+deductible rise to a certain point, I won’t buy insurance. Nor will I pay the tax/fine. I refuse to further subsidize the redistributive welfare state.

Charlemagne on November 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Something every Hotair reader appreciates….ObamaCare is comprehensive ….. this is the tip of the iceberg.

Americans will be poorer, more dependent, less healthy/dead as a result of ObamaCare.

But like boiling frogs, the left assumed the warmth they felt was due to the embrace of government and it is probably too late.

R Square on November 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Ratigan thought Obamacare was only for the peasants and capitalist pigs. As a good liberal, he was to be exempt.

pat on November 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I hope somebody on twitter pointed out that his new plan will cover essential services he will need like pregnancy, pap smears, and mammograms.

Kafir on November 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM

This is exactly the situation that I have been in. I am self-insured for normal everyday stuff unless I need something amputated or get cancer or something. It is a risk, but being self-employed and monthly income being erratic some months, keeping overhead low is critical. I have no car payment and no house payment. Cash and credit is there if something major happens but that goes away now. Even if I could afford the new monthly mandatory premium, it takes away my ability to make some long term plans. I would never have been able to achieve where I am today had I been forced to dump money into something that I didn’t need and probably wouldn’t use. My catastrophic policy has been cancelled and my options are very limited. I can try and earn more money (gee, why didn’t I think of that), or stay self insured and if something huge happens, take out loans and mortgage on assets. Great choices.

JeffinOrlando on November 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Our paternalistic Congress and President know better.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM

pat on November 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM

The good news for RATigan is that they found out early about a brain tumor that he has when he went in for a colonoscopy.

VegasRick on November 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM

If Obama was in the private sector, he would be going to jail for a very long time:

esr1951 on November 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Apparently progressives don’t understand math.

myiq2xu on November 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Well…

So now the unexpected pain of an Obama rodgering reaches another reptillian liberal brain..

and again, the Obamites unaffected, by already being on Medicaid or getting subsidies to the point of turning a profit… are lecturing someone nope…. no.. it’s not that he lied to you, or that your plan was adequate to your needs, or even that O-Care isn’t ridiculously padded in a Frankenstein fashion with a moronic one size fits all socialist utopian view…

No.. the point they convey is..

SHUT UP…

mark81150 on November 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM

“A single insurance policy cancellation is a tragedy; a million insurance policy cancellations is a statistic.”
B. Heusein Obama

jukin3 on November 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Apparently progressives don’t understand math.

myiq2xu on November 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

You could fill a dozen libraries of Congress with what liberals do not understand..

starting with basic human nature..

then math..

all the checks against the abuse of power the founders put in place, Obama either ignores, writes an executive order bypassing it, or just destroys and co-opts it… their thinking?.. because it empedes their ability to “help” people..

But the founders knew human nature,…

and true to form..

Obama and his accomplices are abusing their power like drunken Soviets Soldiers raping and pillaging a family home on the road to Berlin..

mark81150 on November 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Hey, so long as obama likes your plan, you’ll be “better off, you just don’t know it, yet”.

This

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Rome burns while Dear Leader plays Caddyshack…no really! LOL

d1carter on November 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Maybe he will get suspended for night putting.

VegasRick on November 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

A ‘Rat whose last name begins with the letters RAT. How fitting.

A Politico commenter describes Ratigan to a T:

For a minute it seemed Obama lied, but then I took my Obamapill and went back to being an idiot.

Del Dolemonte on November 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Aren’t the boot lickers the first ones shot?

docflash on November 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Really? You don’t have anything original this morning?

You had all week.

Might as well just say Saturday open thread:I’m going back to sleep

wolly4321 on November 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM

While I find this funny I’m also very disturbed by the number of Obamabots who are trying to convince him that a shi+ sandwich is caviar. At this point I’m wondering if any action by Obama, including bloody murder, would ever convince these leftists that he is not a good President or human being His policies are actually hurting Americans and they refuse to see it. Un freakin believable!

neyney on November 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Comprehensive amnesty by the end of this year according to Preibus.

Wigglesworth on November 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I feel alnost as sorry for Ratigan as I do for Tom Cruise’s hardships.

whatcat on November 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

A liberal gets victimized by liberalism. Of course, he won’t learn a damn thing from it.

Bitter Clinger on November 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Rome burns while Dear Leader plays Caddyshack…no really! LOL

d1carter on November 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM

and the RINOs are scheming on bringing in 50 million Democrat voters.

Wigglesworth on November 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Sorry for his loss, but once again we hear from a reporter who years ago should have been reading the law to understand what was coming, and then reporting on it, especially since he’s focused on economy and business. Obama is probably amused that so few reporters have done this and he got away with his lies for so long and was able to get reelected as a result. The ones who did report what was coming were dismissed as tea party extremists. We don’t have many real journalists nowadays who can be bothered to find the truth. Or maybe he knew the truth but politics were more a part of his agenda than reporting was. Thank YOU, Mr. Ratigan.

scalleywag on November 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

” …… various Obamacare supporters who attempted to convince him that losing his plan was actually a good thing, since it wasn’t a very good plan to begin with.”

They’re like little wind-up toys, these “Obama supporters”. I picture a giant room filled with them, turning in circles, bumping into one another, all saying in unison ……

“Losing plan good, old plan not good”
“Losing plan good, old plan not good”
“Losing plan good, old plan not good”
“Losing plan good, old plan not good”

Not an active brain cell in the bunch.

fogw on November 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I have health insurance through my employer, but when the day comes they stop offering it and throw us all into Obamacare (which I’m pretty sure is going to happen) I won’t be able to afford it. And I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay for maternity care at age 59.

scalleywag on November 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

The primary reason that millions of people had no health insurance is that they couldn’t afford it. So if we give it to them anyway, the people that can afford it will have to pay for it.

myiq2xu on November 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

The nonsense that individual policies are being replaced by “something better” is just another of the REB’s lies. Being “Obamacare compliant” does not equal “better”. In 99% of cases the new policy will cost more per month and have higher deductibles.

The health insurance companies that the REB attacks as “Acme insurance” are the SAME companies that are now being forced to sell on the Obamacare exchange or directly to customers that don’t qualify for subsidies.

Another REB lie is that the exchange introduces “greater competition”. They don’t. In nearly all cases, ie counties, there are fewer sellers with fewer policies than before Obamacare was shat upon us.

slickwillie2001 on November 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Trying to tell Obama fans that a “better” policy that you can’t afford isn’t better just doesn’t seem to sink in.

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM

neyney on November 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM

O’bama is just as much of a cult leader as Jim Jones was. As I’ve noted many times in posts here, my profession takes me into the homes of total strangers, and over the past 5 years I have seen numerous seemingly intelligent people with shrines to O’bama in their homes! In almost 4 decades in my industry I have never seen that, not even with JFK or Reagan. One middle aged (white) lady even had an O’bama shrine in her bedroom, for crying out loud.

And then you go to places like Facebook, where there is actually a Facebook page called “I Love Waking Up in the Morning Knowing That Barack O’bama is President”.

That’s Cultism 101.

Del Dolemonte on November 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Dylan Ratigan, same thing I gave you on the other thread you miserable fluffer. Starve. P.S. Better than you deserve.

Bmore on November 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Catastrophic insurance probably was the best plan for him–personal savings to cover here-and-there costs with the insurance just there as a backstop in case something truly bad were to happen to him and not having to deal with the insurance much at all until then.

theperfecteconomist on November 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Too bad Dylan. You wanted ObamaCare, you got Obamacare. Now LEAN FORWARD and BEND OVER!

GarandFan on November 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

and the RINOs are scheming on bringing in 50 million Democrat voters.

Wigglesworth on November 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The RINOs believe three things:

1.Businesses that benefit by cheap labor will be beholden to them, i.e. fill their campaign coffers and eventually their pockets.
2.A liberal tide elsewhere in the country will make them appear conservative by contrast and solidify their standing in the districts that voted them in.
3.It’s not a bad thing for Republicans to play second fiddle in Congress.

justltl on November 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

That’s Cultism 101.

Del Dolemonte on November 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

There are hundreds of thousands of ‘Obama Shrines’ in American homes, mostly black-owned homes. I suspect some of our trolls have them, but it’s racist to discuss.

slickwillie2001 on November 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Well, it should be crystal clear to everyone by now, right and left, that the government is incapable of taking on such a humongous task. The evidence is right there in front of us. The big question is, now what are they going to do?

scalleywag on November 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

slickwillie2001 on November 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Every single one I have seen over the past 5 years has been in a white home. I’m in New Hampshire, which voted for O’Liar in both 2008 and 2012.

Speaking of our trolls, wonder how many of them have seen this political story out of Texas?

White guy wins after leading voters to believe he’s black

Del Dolemonte on November 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Obama supporters will never abandon their messiah. Liberalism is a religion where facts and logic do not apply and the protection of their king is an absolute imperative.

rplat on November 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM

“You can keep your plan. PERIOD!”

ladyingray on November 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Flukeing moron on chief

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

That’s Cultism 101.

Del Dolemonte on November 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

This is spot on, when I occasionally see I (heart) Obamacare bumper stickers.
Loving a freaking law? We are in sad times.

22044 on November 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Dr. obama

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM

And I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay for maternity care at age 59.

scalleywag on November 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

But insurers have to provide coverage for fertile octogenerians.

casel21 on November 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Obamacare supporters who try to convince fellow Liberals that they should be happy that their insurance was cancelled, reminds me of pro-Palestinian atheistic Left wingers who try to convince Jews that they shouldn’t trust pro-Israel, God fearing Christians, because their support for Israel is just a trick.

ardenenoch on November 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM

4. It assumes that we’re all better off submitting to the state.

I really, really hate Liberals.

Charlemagne on November 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Can you say “death panels”, boys and girls?

oldleprechaun on November 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM

White guy wins after leading voters to believe he’s black

Del Dolemonte on November 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Ben Jealous was running for elected office?

Maddie on November 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM

rplat on November 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Well, I still have a modicum of hope. Yesterday Far-Leftie O’bama Kneepad Ryan Cillazza had a piece in the Washington ComPost, where he called O’bama’s Big Lie “a new low”. And many of the Low-IQ Dem readers agreed with him in the comments.

But not all!

I think Bush’s WMD lie is more serious than Obama’s. Too many people died from Bush’s lie, including Iraqis and Americans. If we couldn’t get Bush impeached then there’s no way to get Obama or future Presidents impeached either. Sorry folks.

Impeaching Obama is goob’s wet dream. LOL

Obama might have some issues, but causing an unnecessary conflict that killed a hundred thousand people and handed Iraq to Iran wasn’t one of them.

Not defending Obama as much as identifying the even more repulsive liars from the far right.

There’s been much ink and venom spilt on the irony of our “tech president” presiding over a logistical and logical failure, but I sympathize with Obama. I think he did see all these problems coming. He’s a smart guy. The biggest big lie he’s told about Obamacare is that he actually believes it’s a better idea than single-payer.

Did George Bush refuse his pension after costing the country billions in war costs….didn’t think so. (Although I suspect a lot of wounded vets could have been helped with that money.)

The Republican demographic is very rich people and morons.

(Actually, the majority of rich today are Democrats, and the Democrats lost the college graduate vote in 2012)

I’ll STILL take PRESIDENT OBAMA over ANY GOPer ANY DAY. ————– The GOP & the racists have been against him from the very start, which has resulted in strengthening my support FOR HIM. ———————————————–PRESIDENT Obama ROCKS. ————- Despite some bumps here & there, he’s still doing a great job.

crr6!

Del Dolemonte on November 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM

It’s like the thug in chief said two weeks ago: Elections have their consequences. I think this is so funny.

tmgrant on November 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Not only did you vote for him, you shilled for him and his law.

No sympathy for you.

Athos on November 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Karma’s a bitch, eh, Dylan?

John Deaux on November 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM

The temptation toward schadenfreude is strong in this one, my friends.

Temptation? I spent most of the day yesterday chuckling about this after I saw it. I haven’t really stopped today. He’s getting what he supported, good and hard.

Physics Geek on November 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Well, gee, that really sucks there, Mr. Ratigan…

*snicker*

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I love a story with a happy ending.

LaughterJones on November 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM