Chris Matthews: I feel sorry for Chris Christie’s wife

posted at 1:21 pm on November 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Newsbusters, there are subtle ways to goof on Christie’s weight, there are not so subtle ways, and then there’s this. Matthews has done it before — how can you cut the budget, he wondered, if you can’t cut your portions at supper? — but I can’t remember anyone, left or right, bringing Christie’s wife into it until now. Reminds me of Ace’s post from last fall about the Matthews method, theorizing that Tingles’s signature stream-of-consciousness verbal diarrhea was really just a form of shtick aimed at making him seem more down to earth and blue-collar. He’s not a Beltway carbuncle who’s spent the last 30 years shmoozing with America’s power brokers, he’s the guy on the barstool next to you who likes to jaw about politics over beers. Except he’s not that guy and doesn’t really understand that guy, so what comes out of his mouth often seems dumb, strained, and overly chummy. Here’s Ace’s imitation of Matthews trying to explain Obama’s appeal. It’s slightly too blue to be something he might realistically say on “Hardball,” but in the green room before the show? Pitch perfect:

It’s like he’s just this guy, right? And he knows who he is. And he’s got a little swagger to him, a little Mick Jagger in the jimmy-leg, but not so much that you notice.

But your gal notices.

And this guy, right, he notices your gal, too, and that’s a problem for you, because this guy’s been around.

Bras aren’t a mystery to this guy. He knows a clasp from a hook. He’s touched base. He’s tagged up. He knows his way around a hooter.

And that’s how Obama wins Ohio.

Moronic, but exactly the sort of thing you can imagine would qualify as barstool wisdom to Matthews. Imagine yourself with a beer, trying to watch football on the TV above the bartender’s head, and having that babbled into your ear by a slightly tipsy Tingles. The charitable interpretation of the Christie joke is that he was going for the same vibe — crass, corny, but something that he thought might ingratiate him to the audience in a “I’m a real guy, not above this sort of thing” way. The less charitable interpretation is that, no, it’s not shtick. He really does function on this level and really would find profundity in the idea that Obama got reelected because he’s Jumping Jack Flash or something. Guess which interpretation I’m following.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Matthews is the very definition of the term “jackass,” and there are good reasons why that is the symbol of his party.

bobcalco on November 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I feel sorry for your wife, you drunken loon. Do you have an Obama poster above your bed to drool at?

envycat on November 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

“I mean, use your imagination.”

Should we feel sorry for his wife, and the fact she has to put up with a drunken slob?

NotCoach on November 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Foul man.

MTF on November 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I feel sorry for comrade Chris’s shrink.

JackM on November 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

the strangest thing. if you look at Christie now he has lost a tremendous amount of weight since lapband surgery.

gerrym51 on November 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

If this is supposed to make me defend Christie……. not gonna work.

Even though Matthews is certifiable. (Hey, that’s covered under OCare, Chrissy!!)

Bitter Clinger on November 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I feel sorry for the straw men Chris murders every day.

Good Lt on November 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I feel sorry for comrade Chris’s shrink.

JackM on November 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Who’s that, his bartender?

NotCoach on November 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Regarding George W. Bush IQ jokes, Christopher Hitchens once said to Bill Maher, “This is now the joke stupid people laugh at.”

That’s how I feel about Christie fat jokes.

nicktjacob on November 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I think this qualifies as blue-on-blue anyway.

Bitter Clinger on November 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Who’s that, his bartender?

NotCoach on November 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

One and the same….Rachel.

BobMbx on November 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I feel sorry for Matthew’s wife, married to a pr***less wonder.
She wrongly thought literally when she heard him called a “big d***”.

gonnjos on November 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Who the hell is Fat Bastard Matthews to be criticizing anyone’s weight?

Doughboy on November 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Personally, I wonder how Chrissie’s old lady likes looking up at this horses’ ass.

MikeinPRCA on November 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Sorry about the misplace apostrophe.

MikeinPRCA on November 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

PETA keeps a close watch on Chrissy…

d1carter on November 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

As crass and juvenile as Tingles repeatedly proves himself to be, there’s practically nothing the MSM can do to or say about Christie that would make me feel empathy for him. He’s a complete fraud from trunk to tail, tap dancing and mugging through every substantive issue. He has major ugly narcissism issues, just like someone else whose name escapes me. He’s anathema to the Constitution on guns, borders, sharia law, the un-ACA (which he refused to litigate), social policy, you name it. When you play chameleon, as he does, don’t expect people to fall in love with what you were yesterday. The Christie dirigible (no, that’s not a NJ Hindenburg reference) will eventually meet up with the laws of nature, and by that time I think everyone except the Rovians will enjoy watching it burn.

Western_Civ on November 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

envycat on November 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

You read that, Kathleen? People sympathize with you… deeply.

ExpressoBold on November 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Chris Matthews is mean.

wren on November 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

And Bill Clinton’s little man is misshapen. I seem to be the only one turned off by that mental image. How about you, Chrissy? Turn On or Turn Off? How about your wife? Does that send a tingle up her leg?

vityas on November 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Wait, I thought liberals were against fat-shaming.

I really don’t understand the PC rules our betters have imposed on us. Can someone explain them to me?

Nomennovum on November 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jeebus…. Like Chrissy is gawds gift to women…….,

I can hear Crissy’s wife scream’n JACKPOT!!!!! as he fails to deliver a tingle up her leg

roflmmfao

donabernathy on November 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

The jerk store called…

mjbrooks3 on November 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

That’s how I feel about Christie fat jokes.

nicktjacob on November 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Christie’s obesity is no joke. In fact, the EEOC in 2010 claimed that obesity was a disability.

EEOC now claims obesity is a disability under ADAAA.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) now claims obesity is a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA). Until now, the courts have routinely rejected general obesity as a “disability” under the ADA and Rehabilitation Act. Cases have required one to show some different underlying medical condition that is a disability and that causes obesity as a “symptom.” Now the EEOC has filed suit, claiming that a company discriminatorily fired an employee because of obesity. The EEOC claims that ever since President George W. Bush authorized the ADA Amendments Act in 2008, the law has a much lower threshold for what constitutes a disability. The EEOC claims that basic obesity, without any other underlying condition, sufficiently impacts the life activities of bending, walking, digestion, cell growth, etc., to qualify as a disability or perceived disability.

In addition, in July of 2013 the O’bama-worshipping AMA adopted a new policy classifying obesity as a disease.

In July, the American Medical Association (AMA) adopted a new policy that officially labels obesity as a disease, “requiring a range of medical interventions to advance obesity treatment and prevention.” According to the AMA’s Council on Science and Public Health, a “disease” is defined as having the following criteria: 1) an impairment of the normal functioning of some aspect of the body; 2) characteristic signs or symptoms; and 3) harm or morbidity.

So Tingles is making jokes about someone who’s disabled. Classy guy.

F-

Del Dolemonte on November 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I feel sorry for Chris Matthews and his wife

DarkCurrent on November 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I hope Matthews’ wife doesn’t mind shouting, scotch breath and spittle.

forest on November 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I almost feel sorry for obama’s junk. As much as Chrissie and his cohorts at MSDNC work it over it must get a little sore.

HumpBot Salvation on November 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

It’s a continuation of the War On Womenz meme.

As VA just showed us again, Single Women are “married” to the government.

So what kind of woman would want to be married to The Ralph Kramden of politics?

budfox on November 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I believe the word Matthews is looking for is smushing as practiced by cast members of Jersey Shore.

Wigglesworth on November 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Wow – I never thought Matthews would be as nasty as HotAir contributors!

Very surprised.

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

By contrast, I’ve yet to hear Obama complain about Matthews’ ministrations.

SAMinVA on November 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I can’t decide what I feel more sorry for — Chris Matthews’ chair
or his microphone wind/spit screens.

db on November 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I feel sorry for Matthews’ wife…because apparently her husband can only envision one possible [ahem] position. If you know what I mean.

Waggoner on November 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Maybe Chris Matthews is the reason for the big announcement today about mental health being covered under Obamacare.

I feel sorry for Chris Matthews and his wife

DarkCurrent on November 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

His wife, Kathleen, is a very attractive local DC television news anchor. I’ll bet she gives him a rolling pin upside the head for this remark.

rockmom on November 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Hey Chris Matthews, fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on November 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Has he ever seen his dead pal Ted Kennedy — and in a bathing suit? shudder! I don’t remember him taking cheap shots at him.

Blake on November 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

In my imagination he always gets his butt whipped every time he pulls that crap.

HotAirian on November 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Wow – I never thought Matthews would be as nasty as HotAir contributors!

Very surprised.

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Well, well. Double standard hurt baby.
Happens to us when we’re constantly regarded by the ruling class and it’s media as subhuman,a nbagger
Matthews probably got the acid tongue original like, from husband Rachael Maddows. MSLSD, haters inc. Its a liberal thing. I’m sure you understand.

onomo on November 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

This explains the drool always present on Chrissy’s chin. To think I thought it was the meds.

Bmore on November 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Hey Chris. I feel sorry for your mother. If she keeps chasing cars, she might just catch one.

By contrast, I’ve yet to hear Obama complain about Matthews’ ministrations menstruations. FIFY.

SAMinVA on November 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Old Country Boy on November 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I feel sorry for Matthew’s wife- she gets up every morning knowing she’s married to a pu**y who’d never have the nerve to say that Christie’s face.

Let me blunt. I don’t care if you’re Chris Matthews or Bill O’Reilly, sitting on your ass and babbling into a camera about the doings of men who actually do things is a bi*** job and automatically calls into question your masculinity.

M240H on November 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I’m sure you understand.

onomo on November 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

More than you might expect – an honest reply

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Very surprised.

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Really? I got ripped off then. All I got was this lousy comment box. When do I get my own show?

Bmore on November 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

More than you might expect – an honest reply

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Congruent?

Bmore on November 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Bmore on November 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

The world has enough moronic reality TV shows – not that your show would have to be reality TV of course.

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

“I have to tell you, you know, it’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech,” Matthews said. “My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often.”

Jocundus on November 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

That boy is a P I G pig.

/Babs

Ted Torgerson on November 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Congruent?

Bmore on November 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Well done – that made me laugh – I took that one right between the eyes

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Congruent?

Bmore on November 8, 2013 at 1:57 P

I’m still laughing – you in the lead

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

You didn’t really expect anything even remotely intelligent to come out of Tingel’s mouth, did you?

GarandFan on November 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Makes me almost feel sorry for Obama…I mean Matthews is at the other end….

Use your imagination

workingclass artist on November 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I almost feel sorry for all elitists, like Chris, who have to defend obama these days.

Instead I feel schadenfreudig beyond belief.

Imagine being him.

Imagine being obama.

Imagine being them.

The silence of the lambs trolls is deafening and all-telling.

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I’ve never said this, but for years I’ve felt sorry for CM’s wife, because he’s a big-mouth, crude, and crass, with quite a demeaning attitude towards pretty women that borders on misogyny. And I can’t forget his exchange with Michelle Malkin regarding John Kerry’s 3 purple hearts where he was completely deaf, dumb and blind to the notion that a “self-inflicted wound” usually doesn’t mean “on purpose”, making a complete ass of himself on his own show. Then you read Michelle’s account, where he’s spitting on her (but, not on purpose), and acting like a fool, from the time before the interview, to well afterwards, and I have to trust and credit Michelle’s version.

Paul-Cincy on November 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

rockmom on November 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

If she’s still married to him, she likely shares his politics and thinks this was funny too.

Midas on November 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Blake on November 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

And (Democrat) Jerrold Nadler of NY could not be reached for comment, either.

Del Dolemonte on November 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Paul-Cincy on November 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Some mention it – Chris Matthews has a very bad drinking problem, has had for many years.

Not giving the man an excuse, but he is a wreck. It all started when he worked for Top O’Neill – another massive boozer.

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

But your gal notices.

Bras Azzes aren’t a mystery to this guy. He knows a clasp Reggie from a hook Michelle. He’s touched base. He’s tagged up. He knows his way around a hooter bathhouse.

And that’s how Obama wins Ohio Hollywood.

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

rockmom on November 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I feel sorry for her. He has the couth of a hyena. What can she do? He’s this way every day. The rolling pin would fail fairly soon, against CM’s head.

Paul-Cincy on November 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

The less charitable interpretation is that, no, it’s not shtick Tourrets.

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Actually, he has Tourrets.

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

rockmom on November 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Well, she’s not too attractive, but age will do it to ya –

rickv404 on November 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I feel sorry for Chris Matthews’ husband…

JohnGalt23 on November 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Really? Chrissy?

Bmore on November 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

gerrym51 on November 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I’ve also noticed the media has started using file footage when discussing Christie.

agmartin on November 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Just for Chrissi

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I feel sorry for Chris Matthews and his wife

DarkCurrent on November 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

She’s a flaming leftist scumhag, who takes anything from him, so long as their parties/accounts are fat.

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

That boy is a P I G pig.

/Babs

Ted Torgerson on November 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

NOPE! NO NO NO NO …. You are not going to pollute Animal House like that… Chrissie is not worthy.

ExpressoBold on November 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Very surprised.

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Michele Bachmann.

ExpressoBold on November 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM

envycat on November 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I’ll bet Chrissy makes his wife wear a paper bag with photo of 0barky on it.
Actually, I’d bet both of them wear identical bags….

dentarthurdent on November 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

69 comments don’t look good , so here I am
:O

burrata on November 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I’ll bet Chrissy makes his wife wear a paper bag with photo of 0barky on it.
Actually, I’d bet both of them wear identical bags….

dentarthurdent on November 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Then they both lean forward.

onomo on November 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

gerrym51 on November 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

It was noticeable when I saw him on TV on election night.

Tingles might be trying to get in a few parting shots.

lynncgb on November 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

nicktjacob on November 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Another reason why I loved that guy.

Cleombrotus on November 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Then they both lean forward.

onomo on November 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Oh ya – I’m sure Tingles much prefers to be the catcher – especially if the pitcher has an 0barky mask.

dentarthurdent on November 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Why does anybody even listen to that slimy little loud mouth liberal, Matthews?

rplat on November 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I feel sorry for Barack Obama’s wife.

What’s it like being nothing but a beard?

BKennedy on November 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Mental illness.

Mimzey on November 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Then they both lean forward.

onomo on November 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

dentarthurdent on November 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Just another day at the circus de mslsd.

onomo on November 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Wait, I thought only Republicans cared about what goes on in your bedroom.

Socratease on November 8, 2013 at 3:49 PM

What’s it like being nothing but a beard?

BKennedy on November 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hey – no dissin on beards after the Red Sox this year….

dentarthurdent on November 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Has Chris stopped playing footsie with Norah O’Donnell under the table yet?

slickwillie2001 on November 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Christie may be overweight .
Chris Matthews is a PIG !

Lucano on November 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM

What’s it like being nothing but a beard?

BKennedy on November 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hey – no dissin on beards after the Red Sox this year….

dentarthurdent on November 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Fear the Beards! My friends who are NY Yankees fans are still disconsolate.

BTW the Sox announced today that they are going after one of their post-season opponents in free agency-dude by the name of Beltran.

They’re also going after right hand pitcher Tim Hudson.

Funniest bit of Red Sox news today-Jean-Claude Kerri’s favorite player, “Manny Ortez”, actually got some votes in Tuesday’s mayoral election in Boston.

Del Dolemonte on November 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Stay classy C Mathews.
Thanks for stopping by.

RedManBlueState on November 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I thought Democrats were always nice to one another.

a5minmajor on November 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I’m surprised that Matthews can take the President’s knob out long enough to do his show…

Kensington on November 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Regarding the endless jokes about GWB’s lack of intelligence, his IQ was estimated to be 125.

Of course Obama obsessively guards his records, grades and test scores, but the experts estimate his IQ at 128. Yeah, a three-point advantage to our “brilliant” president (although Bush should get extra points for the fact that he actually loves this country).

Some of the commenters deriding Matthews are the very same Christie haters who never miss an opportunity to mock him, especially for his weight.

It’s childish and classless when Matthews does it, and it’s childish and classless when the HA rightwingers do it. But then people always lash out when they are afraid, and the conservative base is petrified that Christie will further marginalize them–although they have already done a splendid job of marginalizing themselves.

Meredith on November 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Nobody’s afraid that Christie will “marginalize” them, Meredith. Some of us are afraid that he’ll get the nomination and do as good a job with it as Bob Dole, John McCain and Mitt Romney did.

Kensington on November 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I’ll take “he’s a moron” for $1000:

Chris Matthews Cites Abramoff Film to Bash Tom DeLay: ‘I Saw The Movie’

Sockpuppet Politic on November 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Matthews is the very definition of the term “jackass,” turd.

bobcalco on November 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM*

I feel sorry for your wife, you drunken loon turd. Do you have an Obama poster above your bed to drool at?

envycat on November 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM*

Foul man turd.

MTF on November 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM*

If this is supposed to make me defend Christie……. not gonna work.

Even though Matthews is certifiable a turd.

Bitter Clinger on November 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM*

Etc., etc…

(*Edited to reflect my point of view.)

S. D. on November 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM

HEY CHRIS ! . . . . . . . . . . . . .

How sorry did you feel for Sen Tedward Kennedy’s wives, concubines, girlfriends, whores, sluts, etc ? …

listens2glenn on November 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Meredith on November 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

There’s no way on Earth that the REB’s IQ is even in three digits. I’m guessing 90.

slickwillie2001 on November 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Chris Matthews: I feel sorry for Chris Christie’s wife

I feel sorry for Chris Matthews’ parents, kids, relatives, pets, and toilets.

rukiddingme on November 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

So, twink Tingles, I would think replacing one bear, Tip O’Neal, for another, Christie would be simple for you.

trl on November 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I hope Matthews’ wife doesn’t mind shouting, scotch breath and spittle.

forest on November 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

“Oh, Barry!”

tpitman on November 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I kind of feel sorry for Barack Hussein Obama now. Kind of.

SouthernGent on November 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Meredith on November 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Are you fat too? Because if you are, when the time comes that I am tired of ridiculing you for being so strident and stupid, I could then switch to mocking your appearance as well.

Murphy9 on November 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Wow – I never thought Matthews would be as nasty as HotAir contributors!

Very surprised.

jake-the-goose on November 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

And yet…here you are…hanging out with the ‘nasty’ people…

There must be a word for that…

Solaratov on November 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Meredith on November 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Just in case no one’s mentioned it yet…

Go pound sand up your butt.

Solaratov on November 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM