Coming soon: The Chris Christie/Ted Cruz alliance?

posted at 4:41 pm on November 7, 2013 by Allahpundit

A smart point by Ramesh Ponnuru. If it doesn’t happen in the primaries, I hope it happens in a rollicking action-adventure buddy cop movie after they’ve both quit politics. Cruz is the thin southern gentleman who’s mastered the rules, Christie’s the beefy pugnacious northeasterner who doesn’t take sh*t from anyone. Together they’re cleaning up the mean streets of D.C. and annoying the hell out of each other. Coming to theaters in 2024: “The Grandstanders.”

I’ve got a pretty good idea of who the villain will be, too.

The New Jersey governor and the Texas senator (an old friend of mine) are leading opposite ends of the party, and are likely to be rivals in the 2016 presidential primaries. That’s why I expect that at some point between now and the Republican convention, they’ll form a tacit alliance. They’ll both have an interest in knee-capping some other candidate who is positioned between them.

There’s plenty of recent precedent for this. The campaigns of Bob Dole and Pat Buchanan collaborated in 1996 to knock Phil Gramm out of the race. In 2008, John McCain and Mike Huckabee did what they could to squeeze Mitt Romney from both ends. And in 2011, it was Romney’s turn to work with Michele Bachmann against Tim Pawlenty–which contributed to his not making it to 2012. (The new book Double Down reportedly has info on this.)

Christie and Cruz are indeed perfectly positioned for this sort of pincer movement. I’ve said before I think there’ll be three niches in the 2016 field — the centrist champ (Christie), the tea-party champ (very likely Cruz if he runs), and then the middle-ground “hybrid’ candidate who’ll be looking to attract the “somewhat conservative” voters who are leery of the first two. Scott Walker could be that guy. So could Rubio. And maybe so could Rand Paul, who’d like to be the tea party’s guy but might find that route foreclosed if Cruz jumps in. Back-up plan: Try to fill the hybrid niche by playing up his libertarian views on social issues like the drug war to try to lure centrists while he’s pitching conservatives on his plans to drastically cut spending. That would put him somewhere between Christie and Cruz. And Cruz, per the NYT, is already anticipating it:

[W]hen Mr. Cruz went to New York City to meet with donors this summer, he privately offered a different view of Mr. Paul: The Kentucky senator can never be elected president, he told them, because he can never fully detach himself from the strident libertarianism of his father, former Representative Ron Paul of Texas.

Word of Mr. Cruz’s remarks reached Mr. Paul’s inner circle, touching off anger and resentment…

Mr. Cruz and his aides believe he is uniquely suited to galvanize conservatives, pointing to his leadership of the effort to cut off funding for the Affordable Care Act — confrontational, pugnacious, disdainful of President Obama. Mr. Cruz, 42 — a Texan, a born-again Baptist and son of an evangelical preacher — also connects naturally with Christian conservatives, many of whom have become foot soldiers in the Tea Party and view Mr. Paul as too unorthodox on social issues.

The particulars may differ but Christie and Cruz will push the same broad critique of Paul — that he’s a crank, if only by association with his dad, or at least will be viewed as a crank by enough voters once the Democrats are done with him that he can’t possibly win a general election. They might, might also team up to attack Paul on foreign policy and counterterrorism. That’s an easy play for Christie, who’s already taken swings at Paul for being too dovish on drones and will be rewarded for it by the hawkish GOP establishment, but it’s trickier for Cruz since tea-party views of stuff like NSA data-mining are ambivalent. If circumstances change and grassroots conservatives start to revert to hawkishness before 2015, Cruz (who earlier this year endorsed U.S. action against Assad’s chemical weapons) will go after Paul on it. If they’re still ambivalent, he’ll probably attack Paul on social issues instead, arguing that his libertarianism makes him an unreliable defender of traditional values once in office. Whether Christie, who’s been careful not to “evolve” on gay marriage, joins Cruz in that, I don’t know. His establishment base won’t like it but they’ll probably cut him lots of slack in trying to appeal to the base.

By the way, there’s already a “Ready for Christie” PAC up and running, replete with its own website. No joke. Can’t wait to find out which GOP moneybags is behind it. Exit question: What if Rubio somehow emerges as the “hybrid” candidate instead? How will Christie and Cruz team up to knock him? And don’t say “immigration.” Christie’s not going to complicate his outreach to Latinos by attacking Rubio on that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

anything but Christie

;)

PolAgnostic on November 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

You understand how a blog works? That it’s a business? Christie threads are guaranteed 300 posts and hundreds of views.

rockmom on November 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Did you notice this ;) emoticon at the end?

If the overall tone wasn’t “tongue-in-cheek” enough … and this is the internet, so it never is …

… I added the emoticon to make the point I was teasing AP.

Oh, and I do understand the “business aspect” – hence my comment about Obamacare – because for the last several weeks the Ocare posts have been the ones drawing the most comments.

PolAgnostic on November 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM

If Christie is the nominee, then Hillary can have the damn job as far as I’m concerned. If I can survive Slick Willie and I Won, I can survive Hillary.

Bitter Clinger on November 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I’m not convinced that Christie would be any better than Hillary. If there’s one thing that you can be sure of, it’s that the Clintons care about legacy. I think that they would love nothing more than get this country back to booming so that they would be remembered as the people who cleaned up Obama’s disastrous messes.

besser tot als rot on November 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I know you’re aware of how a primary election works, but just to refresh: the majority rules. If conservatives are a large majority of the party (and I presume we are) there should be no problem picking somebody over Christie.

I suspect you’re referring to the 2012 primary, in which certain elements of the conservative movement felt they were entitled to infinite Mulligans over the course of the election. Things don’t work that way.

If people are committed to beating Christie, then we’d better start by not making it about “not-Christie.”

KingGold on November 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Hey Genius both parties are coalitions.

If the GOP nominates an anti-gun, pro AGW, defacto Obama boosting retard 2 out of 3 elections I am leaving the coalition.

Rejoice and go ahead and pass amnesty because you’ll need two voters to replace me.

While in 2008 I was tempted to sit it out for a bit, I was here flaming Honda and other Libertarians and Conservtives who left the reservation.

This time I will be encouraging them to vote straight ticket democrat out of spite.

harlekwin15 on November 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Your attempted rebuttal by fallacy doesn’t change the fact that there is sufficient evidence to make a very, very strong inference that Christie did indeed fear Booker, and favored his own margin over giving Lonegan a chance (albeit a small chance) at winning.

besser tot als rot on November 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM

That’s a fairy tale. Booker wanted to be Governor but was not stupid enough to run against Christie. He was going nowhere at all until Frank Lautenberg died.

For sure, Christie did not want to be on the same ballot with Booker running for Senate. It may well have cut into his margin of victory overall, and certainly would have reduced his share of the black vote. It was a shrewd move, but in no way hurt what was a zero chance of Longean winning that race. New Jersey has not elected a Republican to the Senate since 1972 and that was an actual liberal Republican.

rockmom on November 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Anncoulterpundit is misreading Cruz yet again. AP has no idea what Cruz is all about. Cruz would never ally himself with Christie. With such a severe misperception of Cruz and his politics, it’s no wonder that AP has gotten stuck in a RINO-think rut.

doorsxp on November 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

PolAgnostic on November 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM

D’oh! I did miss that smilie.

It’s all good. :-)

rockmom on November 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Click the link, Ben Domenech does a spot-on analysis of how the grassroots conservatives always play ball and the GOPe Donor Class always acts like spoiled brats.

PolAgnostic on November 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Yup….

and I am done Cucci was the last straw….

if we’re doomed to being a socialist hellhole and the only difference is how quick we get there why wait?

Vote D and go Telma and Louise at 185mph rather than McCain gang’s 35mph.

harlekwin15 on November 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

rockmom on November 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I did not say anything about Booker running for governor against Christie (?)

And, how do you know he couldn’t have won? Were the odds low? Sure, but they were not zero. Christie traded margin for a possible GOP senator. Even at low odds, it should be worth potentially shaving a few points of your margin to show that you’re a team player. He’s not. Why should I expected to be a team player when it comes to him? I won’t be.

besser tot als rot on November 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Midas, lest I be mistaken the F word is permissible now here at HA. Least, I saw it yesterday.

Bmore on November 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM

There are some that are allowed but still get delayed in moderation. I’m not always a very patient person. :)

Midas on November 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM

harlekwin15 on November 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

If they stick a thumb in my eye with Christie, I’m right there with you.

besser tot als rot on November 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM

rockmom on November 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Kind of like Christie.

Bitter Clinger on November 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Christie is a little like Obama, everybody is on to his schtick. He started off as a straight talking tough guy, but on further examination he’s nothing more than a calculating politician.

Nothing real or substantial to his persona.

Tater Salad on November 7, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Christy in a debate with Obama.

“I’m fatter than you.”

Obama,

“Love ya too.”

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I’ve got a pretty good idea of who the villain will be, too.

I nominate Hillary Clinton for the villain role.

Steve Z on November 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM

AND, speaking of liberal RINOs …

Collins, Kirk, Ayotte, Flake, Hatch, Heller, McCain, Murkowski, Portman, Toomey and Merkley joined all 54 Senate democrats in voting to punish religious employers by passing ENDA today …

Pork-Chop on November 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM

doorsxp on November 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Really? When Michele Bachmann announced she was running, she was right next to Allen West as the most rough-and-tumble, take-no-prisoners, Gadsden-flag-waving tea party warrior in Congress. Surely, only someone with a severe misunderstanding of her politics would ever dream that she’s ally with a Massachusetts moderate appeaser like Mitt Romney.

Newsflash: Ted Cruz is a politician. He helped touch off the shutdown to inflate his own profile. If allying with Christie means he’ll get Rand Paul out of contention, he’ll do it in a heartbeat.

And as for Cruz, he should not be casting aspersions on a candidate’s father. Not when his own is rapidly approaching Reverend Wright territory (“Send Obama back to Kenya!”).

KingGold on November 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM

KingGold on November 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I wish your presumption was right, but I fear it is not. It appears to me that the majority of the party goes for the allegedly “most electable” candidate.

As evidence, I offer Ford, Bush 1, Dole, Bush 2, McCain and Romney.

cool breeze on November 7, 2013 at 5:47 PM

KingGold on November 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I certainly hope you are wrong. And, since you usually are, I can rest a little easier. ;)

besser tot als rot on November 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

As evidence, I offer Ford, Bush 1, Dole, Bush 2, McCain and Romney.

cool breeze on November 7, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Nah. What happens is that we crowd the field with people. Spread out the votes and spread out the endorsements and the money. And the acceptable candidates duke it out, knock each other out, and split the vote. And then we end up with Akin. Or some other loser.

besser tot als rot on November 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM

and I am done Cucci was the last straw….

Vote D and go Telma and Louise at 185mph rather than McCain gang’s 35mph.

harlekwin15 on November 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I despise the GOPe Donor Class because they largely overlap with the Obama Crony Capitalist Class.

Both groups have positioned themselves to benefit economically from Obamacare & “immigration reform” regardless of the damage either does to the nation.

Pissing ON the grassroots conservatives BEFORE their twin initiatives are in place is, for my money, a fatal mistake.

Let’s defeat their GOPe SERVANTS in the Republican primaries and then deal with their Democratic SERVANTS in the fall.

PolAgnostic on November 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM

As evidence, I offer Ford, Bush 1, Dole, Bush 2, McCain and Romney.

cool breeze on November 7, 2013 at 5:47 PM

How far back are we going here? Conservatism didn’t even really ascend in the party until 1964 with Goldwater’s nomination.

You’ve conveniently left out Reagan’s nomination, and fail to account for the fact that Bush 1 was an incumbent VP and had no serious opposition. Also punching holes in your theory is that GW Bush was the conservative candidate in 2000, against McCain.

As for 2008 and 2012, McCain and Romney won the primaries with plurality votes when it mattered, because conservatives kept splitting themselves up between several candidates, all of whom competed in one giant penis-measuring contest instead of making their own affirmative case to conservatives.

KingGold on November 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM

KingGold on November 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM

If you can’t distinguish between Michele Bachmann and Ted Cruz, you only prove my point that you are misreading Cruz. While they can check the same boxes on many of the issues, they have very different approaches and records on politics. You are stuck in a RINO-think rut and evidently easily misled by the media and GOPe talking points.

doorsxp on November 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

doorsxp on November 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Bullcrap. They’re one and the same.

When she was riding high, the people who criticized Michele Bachmann were treated as heretics, the same way you guys are treating anyone who dares to speak of Ted Cruz in an unflattering manner.

You must have a really short memory if you can’t even remember the year 2010.

KingGold on November 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Good luck, fluckers.

Schadenfreude on November 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I honestly don’t understand why me gaming out a possible Christie alliance with Cruz has people grumbling that we’re treating him like the GOP messiah. I don’t much like Christie. I don’t like his position on guns and the more I see him, the more he grates on me personally. I realize that he’s a RINO and I’m a RINO and therefore I’m supposed to be in the tank for him, but I’m not. At least read the post before you whine.

Allahpundit on November 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

AP, note that I said “HA.” The fact that you’re (justly) skeptical of the Soprano wannabe’s candidacy doesn’t alter the reality that the Christie-palooza here would be tragic if it wasn’t so ridiculous. I’m more disappointed with Bruce McQuain, since I know that he knows better than this. FWIW, the only way that Cruz should deal with a snake like Christie is with a 10-foot pole in one hand and a lion-tamer’s whip in the other.

ebrown2 on November 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Christie 2016

Go RBNY on November 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Bullcrap. They’re one and the same.

KingGold on November 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM

No way. I never liked Bachmann. But she wasn’t totally dead to me until she teamed up with Romney to knee-cap the more viable conservatives.

besser tot als rot on November 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

How about a McCain/Romney/Christie I’m NEXT IN LINE alliance, huh?

How come the NEXT IN LINE for the GOP always has the hearts of moderates swooning and then they either don’t show up or vote D?

Screw the NIL candidate.

They don’t work.

They screw up.

They don’t fight.

They want to be good losers.

And they are ALL losers.

ajacksonian on November 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM

KingGold on November 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Again, so long as the primary process works the way the establishment wants – and they’re openly talking about ways to make it moreso as we speak – then we’ll continue to get squishy candidates that the establishment wants.

Keep letting Iowa, Delaware, New Hampshire, Florida etc determine who the nominee is that the rest of us get to vote on, and… well, by the time conservatives at large actually get to vote, most of the choices have been whittled off of the list.

It’s bullshit, but that’s the way they want it, and are tweaking it to be even less hospitable to conservatives (eg: discussion about changing how Iowa does their caucuses to avoid having too much local/grassroots power).

Midas on November 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Ok, Christie raised taxes, for gun control, squish on gay marriage etc.

Explain to me how that is even moderate.

The fascination with another rino by this site is amazing.

How about for the first time since Reagan we actually run a conservative. Rino’s have been proven losers!

Danielvito on November 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Allahpundit, you need help. I’m not kidding.

fight like a girl on November 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Ready for…….MORE RINOs!!!!!

PappyD61 on November 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM

What happens when you squeeze a jelly filled doughnut?

faraway on November 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM

If the whorish media and republican leadership HATES / LOATHES / DESPISES our nominee…..I’ll be happy.

And right now the establishment gop is orgasmic over the Jersey boy.

PappyD61 on November 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Christie and Cruz alignment??..Hard to see that one..I think Christie is definitely looking..Cruz not so much yet (Agree with you Allahpundit) but things change..:)

Dire Straits on November 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Dire Straits on November 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM

What is it he says? “The GOP Will Betray You. ” ?

Bmore on November 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Bmore on November 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

LoLz..:)

Old: The GOP will betray you..:)
New: The RINO will run over you..:)

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on November 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I can vote enthusiastically for Ted Cruz or Rand Paul but NEVER for Chris Christie. No more holding my nose voting for the Dem-Lite!

Common Sense on November 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on November 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Excellent Point! Evening to you Dire. ; )

Bmore on November 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM

doorsxp on November 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

And naming Richard Schweiker as his VP choice certainly didn’t help Reagan any in ’76.

whatcat on November 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I have a hard time taking that NYT article seriously, when it has passages like this one:

Mr. Paul’s inner circle privately derides Mr. Cruz as “the chief of the wacko birds,” echoing a phrase from Senator John McCain of Arizona.

No honest reporter who knew anything about the context of McCain’s “wacko birds” comment would characterize it like this. Anyone who was paying attention at all would know the phrase was an insult directed simultaneously at Paul and Cruz. It’s just not plausible to read this as derision.

RINO in Name Only on November 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Cruz doesn’t need the Marxist hugging fat man from New Jersey to win, matter of fact it would hurt him more than help him. The Marxist hugging fat man from New Jersey should just switch parties anyway that’s where he belongs.

bgibbs1000 on November 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM

If Cruz teams up on anything with f’in Christie he’s DONE.

He ain’t ready yet, and he can’t get to the White House with ONLY conservatives.

To get there you need conservatives but you need more.

Christie can’t get their because he can’t get the conservatives.

Cruz needs to relax and take a breather. He’s only been a Senator for a short time.

Jeeeezz…Walker is starting to look good now even though he could sell us out in a heartbeat.

Can’t these people just stop killing each other before the general….in 2016 FCOL!@

KirknBurker on November 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM

That’s like Ted Cruz getting dogshif on his shoe.

RovesChins on November 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

doorsxp on November 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Yeah…That won’t happen

workingclass artist on November 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM

It would be political suicide for Cruz…

Christie buys into Global Warming & won’t allow frakking in NJ

(To Texans this translates into self indulgent lunacy at the expense of jobs and business growth)

workingclass artist on November 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I like Cruz…he’s my senator

But no more personality cults…and no more political dynasties

workingclass artist on November 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

A smart point by Ramesh Ponnuru.

When this is your opening to a post, you know you’re in trouble …

besser tot als rot on November 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM

My caution to Cruz is don’t even think about it. Reagan’s mistake was attempting to mollify the GOPe by having pappy Bush as his VP. As it turned out he would have still won without pappy.

Do not sacrifice your principles in hopes of increasing your electabilty. Stick with another conservative like Lee, Gohmert Palin Jindal et al. Walker is about the floor in terms of reaching out. Even Rand would be ok but he needs to pay for supporting Mitch.

AH_C on November 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I don’t care what the pundits are sayin…

Christie aint’ gonna be the nominee…cause Jeb won’t allow it

It’s Jeb’s turn and Rubio will be his sidekick after the GOP passes amnesty

Si Si Puede

workingclass artist on November 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM

New: The RINO will run over you..:)

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on November 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

You can’t fool me – I know a HIPPO when I see one.

;->

PolAgnostic on November 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Allahpundit on November 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Yeah right,

You don’t secretly enjoy every second of The Walking Dead either.

Next you will be telling us you don’t watch The View any more.

cozmo on November 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM

You forgot crushing on Meggie Mac. ;)

kim roy on November 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Bwhahahah! Yeah, which governor put in a questionable Muslim judge? Which governor used to be a problematic fed US attorney? Which governor has a state/local police force that can’t follow federal law and arrests gun owners merely transiting the state or its own citizens who dare to move a gun from one place to another in their car?

Oh, that would be mr. “hawkish” Christie.

oryguncon on November 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

what’s really scary here is the 3 examples giver for a right-wing moderate alliance Bob Dole-Pat Buchanan John McCain-Mike Huckabee Romney-Michele Bachmann is that at the end the moderate also kicked out right winger.
paul ryan is a very possible hybrid not to skip over

TheIkrim on November 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM

doorsxp on November 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

This is spin they are fishing out to get the tea party for Christie

Christie that is, the RINOs, already had an agreement with McAuliffe, I mean Obama, and they split the take in the election

It was mafia DONs dividing the territory

If Cruz makes a move in that direction, it means he was part of the scam from the beginning.

Ramesh-Pamesh Pudding and Pie, Kiss the boyz and make them ……

Ramesh, you testing Cruz, or hoaxing him?

If Cruz was not in on the scam and he bites, you destroy his credibility. Not all bad, that.

If Cruz was in on the scam, and pretends he was convinced by your arguments, he is good, but not that good. There is a point were the best liars fail

Waiting for Chapter 2. No sense reading any more of Chapter 1

entagor on November 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Christie is mopping the floor with Cruz.

SparkPlug on November 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Christie is mopping the floor with Cruz.

SparkPlug on November 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

When he should be mopping the floor with democrats. Thanks for proving our point.

CurtZHP on November 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM

KingGold on November 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM

besser tot als rot on November 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Cruz did exactly what was required: Bring close attention to this Ponzy Scheme. Really don’t care for anyone thinking otherwise or claiming Cruz did it for some point score. What we know now, should the rest of GOP Senate stood with him? Yes, absolutely.

Interesting that we now have liberals posting under the pretense of being “libertarian”, or whatever. KingGoldUrinal seems a bit smoother in his liberal talking points, but still…

And going back to his Bachmann statement, Yes, a good number of us did see her for what she has finally shown herself to be in that first GOP debate: Romney Lite. Her performance was so disgusting that my wife turned to me and said, She’s clearly asking for a post in his admin.

riddick on November 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Dire Straits on November 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM

What is it he says? “The GOP Will Betray You. ” ?

Bmore on November 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Bmore on November 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

LoLz..:)

Old: The GOP will betray you..:)
New: The RINO will run over you..:)

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on November 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

(:->)

KOOLAID2 on November 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Allah

Good grief, Dude…turn off the New York television and get back to reality. Let me help: Christie is the fat, undisciplined, self-absorbed, silver-spoon, tax-money-sucking, loud-mouthed New Jersey Governor who doesn’t take sh*t from little union-nut elementary school teachers who interrupt his vainglorious press conferences.

Jaibones on November 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM

As long as Cruz is at the top of the ticket.

Can you imagine being under the elephant in the room??? ouch

stenwin77 on November 8, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Cruz tainted with Christie?

I think I’ll start my own party and I know I’ll get one vote…though I’m can’t be certain about my wife’s or kids.

Don L on November 8, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Read my lips I will never vote for Chris Christie.

Caper29 on November 8, 2013 at 8:05 AM

If this happens, Rove would be hardest hit. I’m all for anything that keeps another Bush out of office but this is too far fetched. Why would Cruz want to be seen hugging(if he could) Christie who has too many skeletons in his closet. This idea seems to be a wet dream for those who despise tea types.

Kissmygrits on November 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I will not vote for any ticket with Chris Christie on it.

Period.

If Chris Christie is on the ticket (top OR bottom), the Democrat Party can have the damn White House – because I’ll be voting Libertarian.

DRayRaven on November 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Meh. It’s too early to tell. I think some key players are missing.

But…What does anyone see in Christie anyway? All the others have pros and cons, but I just don’t see anything to like about Christie.

bitsy on November 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM

As long as Cruz is at the top of the ticket.

stenwin77 on November 8, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Yeah, I can see myself voting for the GOP then, even if Christie is on as VP. That’s a throwaway position. I mean, what does Biden really have a say in?! And as much of a bully that Christie is, I can’t see Cruz letting himself be bullied by Christie.

But if the GOP tries the old, “RINO as President with Cruz as VP to placate us conservatives”, forget it.

Sterling Holobyte on November 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Ted Cruz’s actions prove that he doesn’t take shiite from anyone either and is much more polished and capable than Krispy Kreme.

RoyalFlush on November 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

The establishment GOP sees posts from people like us saying we will never vote for Christie, and they think we’ll come around come the general when it’s Christie vs. Hillary (or whoever).

Think again.

They thought the same thing when it came to McCain and Romney.
They were wrong.

In the case of Christie, I predict even more people will stay home or vote third party. I’d never stay home, but I will vote third party.

Christie will go down in flaming, embarrassing defeat.

DRayRaven on November 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Maybe Christie can run alongside Hillary..and be the ultimate fusion candidate…!

Sorry Chrissy, the ONLY way you’ll get my vote is by taking out of my cold dead hand…and good luck with THAT, sport.

BlaxPac on November 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Ted Cruz joining the Anti-Republican party Christie is one of the few reason I would not vote for Cruz. That would prove that Cruz has drank the kool-aid and turned his back on the country.

pwb on November 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I don’t really want Christie but one thing is for sure. I do not want any more Senators as POTUS. None!!! I don’t care who they are or what they believe. All senators know how to do is talk. America needs someone who has an idea about how to govern and understands the consequences of making real decisions. If Walker wants to run, or Jindal, or Haley, that woman from New Mexico I will be glad to listen. But no more Senators!!!

xkaydet65 on November 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Plausible.

kunegetikos on November 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

If Krispy Kreme is involved the villain will be the conservative base. So if that lard @$$ is on the ticket, I will be campaigning for Hillary.

Because if you look at how Kreme falls on the issues, “what difference does it make?”

conservativeBC on November 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Coming soon: The Chris Christie/Ted Cruz alliance?

If so, better cover the furniture in plastic. The exploding heads of both RINOs and Purists is certain to leave a mess around here.

rukiddingme on November 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Ugh. Not ready to think about this yet. Memories of self-destructive GOP candidates from ’12 still too painful…

kg598301 on November 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I think 2016 will see a much different lay of the land in the GOP Establishment, than what we see now …

I expect 2014 to depower the current Power-Brokers and the Conservative planks of the Republican platform to be restored

IOW, the Reaganites 2.0 will be calling the shots

Get out of the way of the Palin/Cruz JUGGERNAUT you Corruptocrat DC WEASELS lest U B STEAMROLLED into Ruling Class ROAD PIZZA!

#BeClingers ————–> #AmericaRISING

#WAR —————> #CrushROVERandGROVER

btw

Tokyo Rove is a LOSER … he works with other LOSERS … and he employs LOSERS

Trump tweeted this, soon after the 2012 election FAILURE

Trump: Congrats to @KarlRove on blowing $400 million in 2012 cycle. Every race @CrossroadsGPS ran ads in, the GOP lost. What a waste of $.

exodus2011 on November 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM

November 8, 2016, will be a very important day on my calendar. If the present political trajectory holds I’ll be out hunting elk. I’m hoping for early snow and cold.

claudius on November 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM

How pathetic that the GOPe is circulating rumors about Ted Cruz disdaining Rand Paul! The agenda of the archvillains of the GOP, e.g., McConnell, is to divide and conquer. Anyone stupid enough to buy their bill of goods deserves the slavery that Sultan Obama and the oligarchy intend to foist upon the U.S.

TXJenny on November 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM

besser tot als rot on November 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

This ^

I honestly thought I was the only one here who could see what a phony Bachman was.

cableguy615 on November 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM

What does Cruz translate to in English? Republicans are going all in for Christ Cross I predicted this months ago. Chris Christie and the Cross. Well wuddyaknow? It won’t be lost in Latins LIVS.

pc on November 11, 2013 at 10:32 PM