Sen. Mikulski declares ObamaCare launch debacle has created a “crisis of confidence”

posted at 5:21 pm on November 6, 2013 by Bruce McQuain

Major Garrett points out something that gives one an idea of the depth of worry Democrats have over the ObamaCare misfire:

When Sen. Barbara Mikulski speaks, President Obama ought to listen.

Attentively.

Mikulski, after all, was a social worker before Obama was 5 and a successful community organizer before he was 10. She led a campaign to stop a proposed 16-lane highway from plowing through her native Highlandtown neighborhood in East Baltimore. She was elected to the City Council in 1971, the U.S. House in 1976, and the Senate in 1986. Mikulski is the dean of the Senate women, and she sports a career voting record of 93.3 with Americans for Democratic Action. She passionately supports Obamacare.

Before questioning Marilyn Tavenner, the head of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, at a congressional hearing Tuesday, Mikulski said something that ought to make Obama’s blood run cold.

“The launching of the Affordable Care Act has been more than bumpy,” Mikulski said. “I believe there’s been a crisis of confidence created in the dysfunctional nature of the website, the canceling of policies, and sticker shock from some people. We read in The Baltimore Sun this morning that 73,000 Marylanders’ policies will be canceled. So there has been fear, doubt, and a crisis of confidence.”

“Crisis of confidence.” The last time that phrase was memorably uttered was in 1979. It did not turn out well for President Carter.

And in comparison to Jimmy Carter’s time, this particular crisis of confidence is orders of magnitude higher.  Carter was mildly incompetent in comparison to the profound incompetence we’re saddled with at the moment.  The ObamaCare roll out is just the latest indicator of the depth of that incompetence.  And Mikulski is essentially taking it easy on the administration.  Crisis of confidence doesn’t even begin to describe how many Americans feel not only about ObamaCare but the Obama administration.

A more devastating assessment of the law’s woes and the long-term consequences of the “fear” and “doubt” surrounding policy cancellations, a still-troubled website, and Obama’s own credibility gap could not have been uttered.

As anyone in politics will tell you, nothing wounds deeper in times of woe than truth told by a friend. It cuts in private. In public, it leaves a bleeding gash.

[...]

One component of this crisis is Obama’s own credibility. The federal website lacks credibility. The promise that people who liked their plan couldkeep their plan lacks credibility. Promises of transparency about the website’s privacy protections lack credibility. Vows of transparency onenrollment numbers, now apparently to be released next week, lack credibility.

What do we get from the administration when confronted with Mikulski’s words?  The usual avoidance:

“The president shares Senator Mikulski’s frustration with the problems that we have seen,” White House press secretary Jay Carney said.

When I asked if Mikulski’s rhetoric was unduly alarmist, Carney said it was not. There you have it: White House confirmation that its signature legislative achievement now suffers from a crisis of confidence.

Indeed.

What Mikulski has articulated is not only the problem with ObamaCare, but the problem for Democrats.  As the Bush presidency ended and the presidential elections were underway, we were told there was “Bush fatigue” and that Republicans would take a drubbing because of it.

We’re still a year away from the mid-terms, but Obama fatigue has set in early and for good.   It is possible that Democrats have a feeling that 2014 may not be a very good year for them if this crisis, for which they are solely responsible, continues uncorrected and is pinned on them.

My guess is, they’re right.

~McQ

Comments

its gonna get worse

rob verdi on November 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Democrats have never been known for their clear thinking or intellect, and Mikulski is at the top of their class of idiots. But even Democrats were destined to eventually figure out that Obama is an idiot and has surrounded himself with other idiots.

Jaibones on November 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Mikulski is probably the most knee-jerk, ding-batted libtard in the Senate, and has spent her entire life on public pay.

If she’s speaking publicly, the dam is about to burst.

M240H on November 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM

They’re losing Mikulski, the Senator for Life from Maryland? Another bad sign.

22044 on November 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

No worries Barb, he will just issue a waiver for that, just like all the other parts of the law that he doesn’t like.

Gatsu on November 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM

i can’t believe folks would vote for another 4 years with Hillary after all this crapola but i guess they want to say they voted for the female president like they voted for the first black president

pathetic….

cmsinaz on November 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Fear not! Other democrats brought up other programs that had seemed like failures at first but weren’t. So that proves everything that seems like a failure at first will turn out fine.

Or something.

MayBee on November 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Damn the torpedoes nuclear bombs, full speed ahead!

22044 on November 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM

From Mauro…….the thrill was gone a long time ago….most didn’t want to admit it.
If your keeping score at home…….
1. I will have the most transparent administration.
2. I have Shovel ready jobs.
3. The IRS is not targeting anyone.
4. If four Americans get killed, it is not optimal.
5. ObamaCare will be good for America.
6. You can keep your family doctor.
7. Premiums will be lowered by $2500
8. You can keep your current healthcare plan
9. Just shop around, for that healthcare I claimed you wouldn’t lose.
9A. I did not say you could keep your health care. (Regardless that 29 recorded videos show I did)
10. No one making less than $250,000 will see their taxes raised one dime.
11. It was about a movie.
12. If I had a son.
13. I am not a dictator.
14. I will put an end to the type of politics that “breeds division, conflict and cynicism”.
15.You didn’t build that.
16. I will restore trust in Government.
17. The Cambridge police acted stupidly.
18. I am not after your guns.
19. The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. The BO of (2006)
20. I have been practicing…I bowled a 129. It’s like — it was like Special Olympics.
21. I think when you spread the wealth around, it’s good for everybody.
22.The Public Will Have 5 Days To Look At Every Bill That Lands On My Desk
23. It’s not my red line it is the worlds red line.
24. Whistle blowers will be protected.
25. We got back Every Dime we Used to Rescue the Banks, with interest.
26. I will close Gitmo.
27. The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t, but she is a typical white person
28. I am not spying on American citizens.
29. I Barrack Hussain Obama pledge to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America.

FlaMurph on November 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Crisis of Confidence? Yes.

Crisis of Leadership? Yes.

How about a fundamental crisis of credibility? Absolutely.

“Crisis of confidence.” The last time that phrase was memorably uttered was in 1979. It did not turn out well for President Carter.

It’s Deja Malaise All Over Again…

“Welcome back Carter — but then, arguably, from the implosion of the doomed Great Society onward, liberalism, progressivism, leftism, Obamaism — whatever it chooses to call itself this week — has never recovered from its own seemingly permanent crisis of confidence, simply because its own FDR-LBJ-style cargo cult view of the glories of big government is itself unachievable, as with all forms of magical thinking.” I repeat, at this point a Carter rerun is a best-case scenario — and an increasingly implausibly best-case scenario at that.

Consider that – a ‘Carter rerun’ is the best-case scenario for the balance of Barack Obama’s term….and it’s an ‘increasingly implausible’ best-case scenario given the crisis of confidence, leadership, and credibility he is in the midst of.

Exit question:

Has there ever been a previous President who achieved a lame duck status just 11 months into their term?

Athos on November 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Smoke coming from both engines.
Hooray!
“In the event of an impending electoral catastrophe, masks will drop from the overhead panel.
But it won’t help, because you’ll still lose in November.”

Enjoy your flight, Democrats. Ignore that smoky smell.

orangemtl on November 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Nice way of saying “you suck”.

forest on November 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM

its gonna get worse

rob verdi on November 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Yep.

98ZJUSMC on November 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I heard a rumor that if you looked at DWS ,Mikulski, and Sebelius in the same picture you would instantly lose your vision.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Danger Will Robinson Danger!

22044 on November 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

The current crowd in D.C. have embezzled from us all and have blown it all on cronies and gambling. I don’t know if our Republic will ever recover.

flataffect on November 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

…I lost my knee!…not my left knee…or my right knee…but my wee knee!

KOOLAID2 on November 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

By the way, more McQ as well.

22044 on November 6, 2013 at 6:15 PM

What? Didn’t King Barack say at one time something to the affect “Don’t worry, you have ME!”?

GarandFan on November 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Either that, or turn to stone. Your choice.

Mitoch55 on November 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I wonder if Mikulski is going to blame it on the Tea Baggers again.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Given that Maryland is a Dem stronghold, this one is going to leave a mark.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I don’t see the crisis of confidence.

Obama administration policies have been a set of confidence games from the get go.

dissent555 on November 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Top debacles of western civilization not over 100 years ago.

#1 ObamaCare Clustered Debacle
#2 ObamaCare Website Debacle
#3 ObamaCare Phone Support Debacle
#4 Obama Broken Promise Tax Hike Debacle
#5 Obama BenghaziGate Debacle
#6 Obama NSA Gate Debacle
#7 Obama IRS Gate Debacle
#8 Obama Stimulus Wreckage Debacle

SparkPlug on November 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Given that Maryland is a Dem stronghold, this one is going to leave a mark.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM

It is almost unimaginable to me that a deep blue state Senator like Mikulsi would ever criticize Obama. I wonder if she’s getting flooded with constituent complaints.

Doomberg on November 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Ya think?

neyney on November 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM

There is no crisis, it’s well beyond that: trust is gone totally, there is no confidence anymore. Who can believe anything Obama will say or promise?

Chessplayer on November 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Doomberg on November 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Hah! You’re assuming that Mikulski pays attention to anything her constituents complain about. I’ve written to her countless times, never did get a response

Trafalgar on November 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I think HotAir should reconsider bringing back the “Obamateurism of the Day” as it is apparent that he is a perpetual amateur.

mechkiller_k on November 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

And if you added Killery to that simultaneous image you’d turn to salt.

Missilengr on November 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM