Rand Paul: Can you believe that certain people who shall remain nameless used Sandy relief funds for campaign commercials?

posted at 8:01 pm on November 6, 2013 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “GOP primary campaign officially under way.” New Jersey got $60 billion of federal funds for Sandy relief, $25 million of which went to a “Stronger than the Storm” tourism campaign that showcased a certain gubernatorial candidate and his family. Here’s Rand Paul celebrating that candidate’s victory last night by basically accusing him of corruption. Not the first time he’s smacked Christie over Sandy funding, either: That’s what prompted the “king of bacon” comment back in July when the two of them first started throwing punches at each other. The outline of his strategy against Christie in 2016 is already fairly clear. He’s going to knock him not only as a big spender who cares more about buying off constituents with federal money than he does about shrinking government but as someone who’s ethically dubious across the board. That was one of the red flags for Team Romney when they vetted Christie for VP last year, in fact:

The vetters were stunned by the garish controversies lurking in the shadows of his record. There was a 2010 Department of Justice inspector general’s investigation of Christie’s spending patterns in his job prior to the governorship, which criticized him for being “the U.S. attorney who most often exceeded the government [travel expense] rate without adequate justification” and for offering “insufficient, inaccurate, or no justification” for stays at swank hotels like the Four Seasons. There was the fact that Christie worked as a lobbyist on behalf of the Securities Industry Association at a time when Bernie Madoff was a senior SIA official—and sought an exemption from New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act. There was Christie’s decision to steer hefty government contracts to donors and political allies like former Attorney General John Ashcroft, which sparked a congressional hearing. There was a defamation lawsuit brought against Christie arising out of his successful 1994 run to oust an incumbent in a local Garden State race. Then there was Todd Christie, the Governor’s brother, who in 2008 agreed to a settlement of civil charges by the Securities and Exchange Commission in which he acknowledged making “hundreds of trades in which customers had been systematically overcharged.” (Todd also oversaw a family foundation whose activities and purpose raised eyebrows among the vetters.) And all that was on top of a litany of glaring matters that sparked concern on Myers’ team: Christie’s other lobbying clients, his investments overseas, the YouTube clips that helped make him a star but might call into doubt his presidential temperament, and the status of his health.

Why Paul is more focused on tearing down the guy to his left rather than the guy to his right is unclear to me — pure personal pique, maybe — but attacking Christie on Sandy follows (ironically) the Karl Rove playbook in hitting an opponent on his strongest point rather than his weakest one. It’s a bit like Biden’s famous line in the 2007 primaries that every sentence uttered by Rudy Giuliani consists of a noun, a verb, and “9/11.” Christie’s team will be selling his Sandy management to GOP voters in 2015 as an almost mystically heroic act of leadership; Paul’s going to counter by framing it as a sort of taxpayer-funded gravy train for Christie’s reelection effort. If he can make Christie’s big credential look tawdry, it’ll help puncture whatever mystique Christie carries with him into 2016.

Paul wasn’t the only tea partier who needled him today either. After jabbing at Ted Cruz yesterday, here’s what Christie got back. Exit quotation:

Cruz offered tepid praise for Christie, who cruised to a second term Tuesday night, but suggested that conservatives are craving a leader who will not back down or compromise.

“I think it is terrific that he is brash, that he is outspoken, and that he won his race,” Cruz told ABC News in the Capitol today. “But I think we need more leaders in Washington with the courage to stand for principle. And in particular, Obamacare is not working.”

Asked whether Christie is a true conservative, Cruz walked away.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You don’t REALLY think a hard core socon like Paul

Rand Paul is a socon? Now I’ve heard it all.

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Hard core, baby! ;)

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Honest question for you socons…You don’t REALLY think a hard core socon like Paul or Perry stands a chance in a national election do you? I want to see OC repealed/replaced, and I certainly don’t want to see Hillary in the WH, but I feel like you guys are just lining up for the slaughter given that Christian fundamentalists have already lost the cultured war, and the demographics just continue to get worse for them.

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

What is wrong with wanting a President with the same faith and values as you have? Do I want someone spouting about legitimate rape – oh heck no. Do I want someone who has a soul – yep.

If this country is turned off by a presidential candidate because he/she has faith in God Almighty, lives his/her life based on that faith and is not a sleaze bucket because of it – then we are in even worse trouble than I thought.

gophergirl on November 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM

You don’t REALLY think a hard core socon like Paul

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

By “Paul”, I assume you mean Rand Paul. What gives you the idea he’s a hardcore socon?

Dusty on November 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM

One of the most idiotic comments on HA.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Someone suggested earlier today that having an account on Townhall.com enabled making comments here on HA.

Any idea if that’s true?

PolAgnostic on November 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Rand Paul is a socon? Now I’ve heard it all.

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Rand did mention Christians are getting killed overseas in a speech recently.

But yeah these liber-tard trolls are more Brawndo worthy than usual.

tetriskid on November 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Any idea if that’s true?

PolAgnostic on November 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

That’s a negatory. Just tried it.

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM

KingGold nugget load on November 6, 2013 at 8:56 PM

She’s right. You are full of shite. Middle of the road is where the yellow stripe is. And dead amimals. You are a mccain conservative,, and you doubletalk.

I don’t always agree with bluegill, but I at least know she’s not lying.

More respect for her than you.

Roll on, bluegill.

wolly4321 on November 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

El Lardo is now a self-proclaimed conservative not a moderate. Who knew?

mobydutch on November 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM

This came as something of a revelation to me, as well.

Jaibones on November 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Any idea if that’s true?

PolAgnostic on November 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

No, however having an account on Townhall will entitle you to have all your contact information sold to anyone and everyone -so you can have phone calls, emails, and letters, constantly asking for money.

jake-the-goose on November 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM

TruCons and SoCons are two sides of the same coin. They will permanently cast aside any GOPer for apostasies big or small, and believe the path to victory lies in a smaller, but purer, Republican party.

Both are cut from the same cloth, and DO NOT PLAY WELL to a broader public from whom they need a sizable endorsement in order to become President and govern.

Caustic Conservative on November 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

El Lardo is now a self-proclaimed conservative not a moderate. Who knew?

mobydutch on November 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM

This came as something of a revelation to me, as well.

Jaibones on November 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM

It’s all about changing the definitions…co-opting the verbage

Wendy Davis aka Abortion Barbie says she’s Pro-Life

Y’know baffle them with BS

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM

More respect for her than you.

wolly4321 on November 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

You have no idea how deeply that cuts me.

KingGold on November 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM

The most obnoxious ad campaign with the most awful ear worm of a song. And worst of all, it used to come on about 5 times each morning while my wife and I got ready for work. And ending with that fat gasbag patting himself on the back. I already hated Christie for his political grandstanding over Sandy pork…then he drops this turd on us. FU Krispy Kreme…staying home if you get the nod.

fitzfong on November 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

a hard core socon like Paul

Lolz!

Bmore on November 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Caustic Conservative on November 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I prefer SEAL Team 6 as opposed to an innefective army of stooges.

Comprende’?

wolly4321 on November 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Hoky Smokes, Bullwinkle. You’re living in a dream world, aren’t you? On the one hand you acknowledge the obvious fact that the demographics are getting worse for true Conservatives and on the other hand you fantasize that OC will be repealed and Hillary won’t be in the WH.

Cleombrotus on November 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I don’t always agree with bluegill, but I at least know she’s not lying.

More respect for her than you.

Roll on, bluegill.

wolly4321 on November 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Make that two of us.

Cleombrotus on November 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

That wasn’t a question…nor was it honest.
All it was, was you taking an opportunity to take a shot at “socons” and “Christian fundamentalists”.

It’s getting to the point that – whenever I see the word “socons” in a post, I just ignore whatever the writer may have said and move on.

[btw: I've been in quite a few wars, and none of them have been "cultured". Do you have any examples of a "cultured war"?]

Solaratov on November 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

You’re shitting me, right?

disa on November 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Any idea if that’s true?

PolAgnostic on November 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

That’s a negatory. Just tried it.

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Well, they’re coming from somewhere.

Solaratov on November 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Asked whether Christie is a true conservative, Cruz walked away.

I would do the same thing.

Myron Falwell on November 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Probably because the guy to his left has already been anointed as the chosen one by the party elites.

xblade on November 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Well, they’re coming from somewhere.

Solaratov on November 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Obama’s nether regions?

Midas on November 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Rand Paul is a socon? Now I’ve heard it all.

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I thought opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape or incest, qualified someone as a social conservative.

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

You don’t REALLY think a hard core socon like Paul

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Slow night at Kos?

bw222 on November 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Bandit13

Didn’t a hard core pro-life, anti-gay marriage republican governor just win in a landslide in a blue state?

xblade on November 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Bandit13

\

I seriously doubt you’ve done much thinking in your entire life.

xblade on November 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM

If Christian fundamentalists have lost the culture war as you put it, then pray tell… who won? The Anti-Christian fundamentalists?

Your joy will be short-lived when you are bowing your head towards Mecca with an AK47 trained on you…

TheRightMan on November 6, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Paranoid much? Everyone who doesn’t succumb to religious dogma wins, whether Christian, Muslim or otherwise. I get the feeling you would do better in a theocracy.

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Not a Paul fan, Not a Christie fan, i guess i will actually wait another 2 years before deciding

OrthodoxJew on November 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Bandit13

By the popular definition of the anti-socon crowd: A socon is a conservative who wishes to impose their own moral views on the nation.

Please tell me how again Rand Paul fits that (and a HARDCORE socon at that).

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Nothing, unless your shared values are extreme enough to prevent your candidate from winning a national election. Everyone knows what most socons want in a president, it just don’t seem realistic to think they’re going to get it.

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Rand Paul is a fraud, just like his father. After receiving yet another money solicitation from his Paul’s office I sent it back with the following letter ayyched (and no funds, of course!):
====================
Senator Paul,

As much as I am for Second Amendment rights and what the Constitution stands for, I am sorry to inform you that I cannot, under any circumstances, contribute to you at this time. Being an immigrant (and a USA citizen now) from ex USSR years ago, and I won’t even qualify this with “legal” since immigrant means legal to begin with, I take serious issue with your stance on illegals in this country., among other issues I have with your views

Your support for legalization of those who are clearly, by USA Law, are prohibited from ever becoming legal due to simple fact they have broken USA laws via border trespass, is more than insulting to millions upon millions of us who have followed all applicable USA Immigration Laws and patiently waited for approval, if one was even granted, before setting foot on USA soil. Your support and approval of criminal behavior is more than insulting, its slap on the face to all past and future immigrants. As you can see, I can read and write, made USA my true homeland and made every effort to assimilate into USA society, adopted all of its customs and traditions. Something that is, sadly, cannot be said about most of the illegals you are now supporting., they seem to be trying to make USA into countries they left, so my question to them and to YOU: Why leave if they are so in love with them?

Your support and endorsement of Senator McConnell, and other anti-conservative ones, is even more appalling given that his views stand in stark contrast to those espoused by Conservatives and TEA Party patriots, which you claim to be one of yourself. I’d be happy to hear your clarification of how you consider yourself a Conservative when the more I hear your views and see people you support the clearer it becomes that what you say drastically differs from what you do. Nothing short of your taking back your McConnell endorsement for next year’s GOP Primary in your home state is expected if you want to show TEA Party members that their support of your campaign for Senate was not a wasted effort on their part as based on you misrepresenting yourself and your views.

I understand that Senators Cruz and Lee make it easy for the likes of you to ride their coattails and claim you stand for same values and issues, but, sadly, in your case as well as others’ its just an image you try to keep up with at each and every step. Your “token” appearance at the recent Cruz/Lee filibuster was nothing more than a calculated action obviously dictated by your future political campaigns, had you really supported them in this you would have helped along during ENTIRE action.

If, and when, you change your views and ways and actually become a Conservative you claim to be, I will be glad to contribute to your campaigns and causes. I understand, though, that it is most likely just a hope and nothing else at this point.

Your request for donation to support your “Second Amendment stance” is so very cynical, seems that you are oblivious to the fact that once all those millions of illegals are legalized, most of whom are against gun ownership as well as freedom of speech (First Amendment anyone?), your “cherished” Second Amendment will be declared null and void in very short order, as will be First, Fourth and any others you would care to name. Your support for legalization moves such a date forward by leaps and bounds to the point of no return.

I will be happily donating to campaigns and causes of Senators Cruz and Lee, as well as other truly Conservative politicians’, current and future, but not a penny in your case nor GOP in general.

We do have a Constitution last time I checked and your stance on illegals CLEARLY shows you have not read it nor do you support it. Shame that you refer to the Constitution in your request for financial contributions, all the while supporting those who are against it. And that includes endorsement of anti-Conservative Sen. McConnell. Cynical. Ironic. And just, what’s the word I want to use, plain strange.

If you really want to preserve and protect Second Amendment you really MUST change your stance on illegals, because your stance as of today contradicts everything that Second Amendment stands for.

Illegals are illegals. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION.

======================

Any bets on getting a reply?

riddick on November 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Please tell me how again Rand Paul fits that (and a HARDCORE socon at that).

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM

The next President will, in all likelihood, have one or two opportunities to nominate a SC justice, and Paul would most likely nominate only hard core pro-life candidates. Right or wrong, I believe this precludes Mr Paul and Mr. Perry from ever capturing the Presidency.

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Chooses not to answer the question, doubles down on nonsensical delusions.

Noted troll is noted.

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Solaratov on November 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

You’re bad at ignoring and I’m bad at typing.

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Chooses not to answer the question, doubles down on nonsensical delusions.

Noted troll is noted.

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

You swing a mean purse.

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Anyone want to take a bet that Paul is NOT out next prezzy? Anyone?

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Are all clairvoyants radically stupid bigots?

Murphy9 on November 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM

You swing a mean purse.

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Your original accusation:

hard core socon like Paul

To which I and others laughed off as delusion and otherwise stupid. No efforts to back up the claim in any way.
You then try to quantify a socon:

Bandit13

To which I counter-quantify:

You then double down on delusion:

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM

And still no examples where Rand has said he would nominate a “hard core pro-life candidate” or that Rand is himself a Hardcore Socon.
You threw out a word with the intent to divide and distract. I called you out on not backing up your claims TWICE. When you intend to make such accusations, the burden of proof is on YOU.

TL;DR You fail at arguments.

nobar on November 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM

How can Paul be socon when he supports McConnell and AMNESTY?

riddick on November 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM

An upbeat tourism commercial is the best they can do? No wonder these guys seem so scared of Christie.

SethEllis on November 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM

If Christie gets the nomination we get president Hillary.

Wine_N_Dine on November 7, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Stopped reading right there – your political ignorance is showing.

Rand Paul is NOT a socon – not even close.

HondaV65 on November 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Rand Paul was already attacked by Christie back in July:

“This strain of libertarianism that’s going through both parties right now and making big headlines I think is a very dangerous thought. … You can name any number of people and he’s [Rand Paul] one of them,” Christie said at a panel of Republican governors in Aspen, Colorado.

And now Christie is emerging as a real contender in 2016. He has the RNC and the press gushing about his powerful juju. Let me just say that with Christie’s stance against the NRA and guns I won’t vote for him. There s no compromise with me and many others on this issue. If Christie ends up running against Karl Marx himself I’ll stay home. I have a lot of 5.56 brass to reload anyway.

claudius on November 7, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Christie’s “strength” isn’t his work on Sandy. In the view of national politics and the prominent issue of fiscal discipline, that issue is a minefield.

Christie’s purported “strength” is he can work with both sides of the aisle to get things done. In that framework, he will talk endlessly about budgets, taxes and putting people back to work. But when you dig down on those issues, one will find they are not all they are cranked up to be. It is in essence, NJ politics, which is government at it’s worst. There are lots of shell games with numbers and political favors. Nobody rides for free in NJ. Nobody.

Once again the GOP and people like Paul are chasing the squirrel. Mostly because of ego, emotion and ultimately a failure to realize what’s most import to the electorate.

Marcus Traianus on November 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

He exceeded his govt expense rate by staying at swank hotels with I’m sure swank restaurants. No wonder he became the biggest elephant in the room. If that was all they had, he’d have been acceptable for Mitt’s vetters and we could have a Romney/Christie admin right now. Then again with all the other stuff they found, he could have replaced Uncle Joe and been very comfortable with the current crooks in charge.

Kissmygrits on November 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Christie is political entertainment, just like Schwarzenegger or Ventura, and he’s a low snake of a politician. Asked to give the keynote at the nominating convention he talked about himself. Then he hugs Obama during the campaign! He could have appointed a Republican to fill the Senate vacancy. Instead he calls a special election, when he knows Booker wants that seat and is almost certain to win it, and he sets that election 3 weeks before the regular election so as not to dim his own brilliant light.

claudius on November 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Sometimes the pseudo-cynicism that bloggers cloak themselves in makes me want to puke.

Fact:

‘Nuff Said.

Fat Man appropriated ONE-THIRD of the funds for the VICTIMS of “Sandy” and used it to further his OWN political agenda.

Do we really care whether or not it’s Rand Paul or Ted Cruz pointing this out? No. We. Don’t.

What we really care about is that Chris Christie is just another variation of Barack Obama–a CORRUPT CRONYIST posing as a “man for all factions.”

Give me a friggin’ break here.

WE DON’T WANT CHRIS CHRISTIE. The guy’s got so many things wrong with him, I can’t even believe Hot Air is giving him space. He’s a jihadist-embracing, gun-controlling, amnesty-loving PROGRESSIVE.

mountainaires on November 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM

riddick on November 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM

This is why I don’t consider Rand a TEA Partier anymore. His positions on so called immigration reform are antithetical to fiscal conservatism.

Wigglesworth on November 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM

And people like you and thinking like you is why conservatives aren’t winning. You like the squishy middle guys who you think will appeal to more people. I guess you think Romney and Mccain were to conservative.

The Notorious G.O.P on November 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Exactly – every time the Right gets scolded about how the GOP MUST run moderate candidates, how the GOP MUST broaden its appeal to the Independents, the blacks, the Latinos, women, the LGBT community, etc you want to ask – weren’t McCain & Romney squishy enough?
If the only way the GOP is going to win is by running candidates like Huntsman – I’m not interested.

katiejane on November 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Because he *knows* that Christie is very likely to be the GOP Establishment choice for 2016, and as such will continue the expansion of the State under a different party label ( for example, Christie wants to “fix” Obamacare, not repeal it) if he wins — but he’s very likely to lose a presidential race.

It’s like Lucy and Charlie Brown. How many times does she have to pull away the football before he stops falling for it? How many times does the Democrat-Progressive Establishment help anoint a GOP Establishment candidate through favorable media/PR coverage, words and gestures (like Obama calling Christie to congratulate him), and then pull the football away in the election by trotting out real and fabricated scandals, smears, attacks and dirty tactics to beat them?

EasyEight on November 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Asked whether Christie is a true conservative, Cruz walked away.

Perfect answer.

magicbeans on November 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Aww, Rand is just a sore wacko-bird-hobbit. Its a Joisey thing. Its a Joisey thing. You gotta be from Joisey to get it.

/snookie-christie want smush smush

oryguncon on November 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Christie represents everything wrong with American politics. I don’t want his brand of elitism in the White House any more than I want Obama’s brand. It’s the same “I know better than you; so sit down and shut up” mentality as Obama.

h a p f a t on November 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM

The Notorious G.O.P on November 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM

katiejane on November 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM

agreed..

I hear the word so-con, I know the speaker has an agenda totally at odds with anything he’ll spin as his goal.

I’m a self confessed social defense conservative..

and my views bare no relationship to the smears printed here, by leftist trolls..

We are not the mythical theocrats they smear us as, and doing so paints them as Obama shills..

We’re winning the pro-life argument, when the youngest voters are shifting pro-life.. not because we beat them, or imposed our moral values on them by law as some delusional douches suggest..

But because they see the science has caught up to the debate, that ultrasounds show a baby at twenty weeks, not a mass of cells, because they using common sense, see ghouls like Davis as the wild eyed extremist she is.. some do it because of THEIR faith, not mine, and some, because they tire of being told endlessly, their mothers should have had the right to kill them in the womb.. uh no offense youngsters, but you are only alive, because we leftists happened to not kill you that day, not because there’d be anything wrong with that..

We social conservatives win through never giving up, never walking away, and the gentle art of conversion and redemption.. We don’t want your obedience, we want your willing embrace of the values of life, of faith, of equality before the law.. of freedom of thought, of faith..

and the accusations by people who snarl so-con as an insult, are less than nothing, we want a debate, we want you to consider the acts you committed and all the consequences that brings..

We want, children born in marriage.. to a joined couple, man and woman.

To get there, is to relearn, reteach what our father’s, grandfather’s generations already knew. That there is no such thing as cost free self indulgence.. that fathering children isn’t a hapless act you can walk away from.. making your offspring state wards, because you have no honor, ethics or manhood, is not acceptable..

More and more young people are starting to see this.

Shame was a necessary tool, to reign in the boundless hunger of young people for a good time. A good time, which often ends a potential career,.. puts mother and child in poverty, and usually leads to the child repeating the cycle..

we change that, by example, by mentoring, by a firm love which says… yes, some things deserve to be judged a sin, even in our own child, wrong… is wrong.. because other people pay for your choices, their is no unaffected life once it’s made..

I’m a social conservative.. but I view you as free to sin, fail, and live a lie..

if you do.. we’re there to offer a hand up.. not a fist.. a hand to help you begin again.. we all fail, all sin, we all lack grace.. but we owe it to each other to hold on tight as we try that path one more time.

I’m a social conservative..

and I have no shame in that..

The only thing extreme in what I am, is the accusations by fools who profit from failed and broken lives.. I can vote for a man who sympathizes, even if he doesn’t agree completely,.. there is no die hard “so-con” here.. just people who take it one step at a time..

Should abortion be illegal in all cases.. yes.. after 20 weeks.. the majority is clear on that.. rape abortions are less than 1%.. but even then.. if I held up the preemie infant of a Dalmer.. would you still kill it, for who his father was? the only difference, between strangling a twenty two week old baby in an incubator.. and an abortion at the same week span..

is location..

The act is the same.. the life, living breathing reaching for warmth, the same. There is no moral way to justify killing one and not the other as we discover “pro-choice” advocates who favor “post birth” abortion..

and these hysterics call us extreme..

You trolls need a new book, this one is old and busted..

because if you believe as any rational being does

mark81150 on November 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Look around folks! The future of the GOP isn’t “becoming more pure’, “advancing social issues” or “becoming more moderate”; it is about becoming more libertarian in our views. Rand may not be the one to carry that mantle long term, but it is the future of the GOP.

The main driver of this is the younger generations want less and less to do with government intruding in their lives, they don’t see government as the solution that the baby boomer generation did.

Tater Salad on November 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM

SethEllis on November 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Well that and the fact that Christie is corrupt, progressive and an outspoken enemy of Conservatism. He’s not scary, just loathsome.

Buttercup on November 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM

He even has a crooked brother…now all we need is some sex scandal and he will really be our version of Bill Clinton.

William Eaton on November 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Your political ignorance is noted. You should read more and STFU. When you have an intelligent opinion, feel free to try again.

Jaibones on November 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM

To his right? Surely you just Christie is right of few…maybe Hillary, though we have to wait and see if hie hugs her. There’s lots of time to watch him do the Christie dance:

Two steps to the left and
a fast one to the right,
Watching Christie dance around the truth
all day and half the night.

Two steps to the left and
a fast one to the right,
One arm around Obama’s waist
With the White House in his sight.

Two steps to the left and
a fast one to the right
Another to the left he takes
When no voters are in sight.

Don L on November 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I like Paul but this just after Christie wins is petty…And I can’t stand Donut.

smacks of limelight envy.

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I know. He should have done it the week before, like Christie did to Romney.

cptacek on November 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

jake-the-goose on November 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM

And send you emails that when you click on the unsubscribe link, will tell you you are unsubscribed, but you aren’t really unsubscribed.

cptacek on November 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

The Sandy relief fund issues are going to haunt Christie and Cuomo. These states got billions, but people like my grandmother are getting nothing to rebuild. No FEMA, no discounted loans, nothing. For less than one day of Michelle Obama’s vacations her house could’ve been rebuilt.

Iblis on November 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I like Paul but this just after Christie wins is petty…And I can’t stand Donut.

smacks of limelight envy.

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I know. He should have done it the week before, like Christie did to Romney.

cptacek on November 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

good one

*snicker*

workingclass artist on November 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM

mark81150 on November 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Great post. You articulated a lot of things I’ve been thinking over the years. Thanks.

Missy on November 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM

It sure does boil my blood when a politician states that a person has done this or that and you know it’s another politician but the “CODE” bails them out for not telling the name of the scoundrel and later denying they ever said anything derogatory about their frat brothers or sisters.

mixplix on November 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Solaratov on November 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

BoxHead1 on November 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Why are we even talking about Christie? He is dead in the South with his kissing up to Obama and support for Little Lord Fauntleroy in SC.

If we get another RINO this time around I would suspect we will alos get a third party run because there just isn’t enough difference between an establishment guy and a Democrat to make it worth the gas to drive to the polls. What does it matter if we go over the cliff at 90 mph or 80 mph? The only way out is to elect someone who will turn the car around.

Voluble on November 8, 2013 at 1:39 AM

20 million isn’t one-third of 60 billion. It’s one three-hundredth. Still howlingly inappropriate, but not one-third.

winoceros on November 11, 2013 at 3:10 AM