Meet the Obama-supporting couple who just got hosed by ObamaCare

posted at 4:01 pm on November 6, 2013 by Allahpundit

Read it in full — and do not quit before the end or else you’ll miss the most important part. A simple premise from Pro Publica: Let’s take an ObamaCare “sob story” from someone whose plan just got canceled and give it a thorough fact-checking to see if it’s as bad as they say. Sure, their new coverage is expensive, but maybe they qualify for subsidies and don’t even realize it. Sure, their new plan isn’t that great, but maybe their old plan really was one of those “cut-rate” garbage plans that fly-by-night insurers have been peddling to people for years. They only think they’re getting hosed.

Nope. After the fact check, it’s clear: They got hosed.

I asked Hammack to send me details of his current plan. It carried a $4,000 deductible per person, a $40 copay for doctor visits, a $150 emergency room visit fee and 30 percent coinsurance for hospital stays after the deductible. The out-of-pocket maximum was $5,600.

This plan was ending, Kaiser’s letters told them, because it did not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. “Everything is taken care of,” the letters said. “There’s nothing you need to do.”

The letters said the couple would be enrolled in new Kaiser plans that would cost nearly $1,300 for the two of them (more than $15,000 a year).

And for that higher amount, what would they get? A higher deductible ($4,500), a higher out-of-pocket maximum ($6,350), higher hospital costs (40 percent of the cost) and possibly higher costs for doctor visits and drugs.

As I say, read to the end for the ominous conclusion, in which Hammack contemplates how he might qualify for subsidies. Not only was their old plan not cut-rate, it was “comprehensive” just like all the new ObamaCare exchange plans are required to be. Turns out Hammack and his wife lead a healthy lifestyle and had qualified for a solid plan with low premiums for years because of it. That makes them the perfect target for O-Care: One of the key ways that coverage for people with preexisting conditions will be subsidized is by gouging healthy people with expensive new “comprehensive” plans that they won’t much use. Their premiums are almost pure net gain for insurers and that gain can be applied to offset the losses they’re taking from the sick. In any redistributive scheme, there are winners and losers; these people, to their great surprise, ended up as losers for having committed the sin of taking good care of themselves for a long time. The spokesman for Kaiser Permanente, Hammack’s former insurer, made no bones about that either in speaking to Pro Publica: “[I]n sort of pure economic terms, they are people who benefited from the current system … Now that the market rules are changing, there will be different people who benefit and different people who don’t.” And like I said Monday, I don’t think rate shock is even the biggest political landmine in all this. The big landmine will go off when people realize they’re not only paying more, they’re getting a smaller provider network in their new “comprehensive” plan despite the added expense. Pro Publica doesn’t get into that in its story about Hammack; I look forward to the sequel.

I feel no schadenfreude about this, for what it’s worth. A friend of mine who got caught up in Hopenchange fee-vah five years ago and who has since soured on O told me recently that she didn’t know what to believe about health-care reform in 2008 because the subject is so fantastically complex. Even now, three years removed from ObamaCare’s passage, I doubt you’d find one voter in a hundred on the street who could give you a solid, fairly comprehensive five-minute explanation of how the law works. To a non-ideological voter, Obama seemed sincere and he had a plan endorsed by lots of lefty eggheads; only recently has the full extent of his willingness to lie to people’s faces in the name of getting the bill passed in 2010 been revealed. It’s easy to say “they should have known better” but that’s not how politics works for most people, I think. Most people find a pol whom they like and trust, who seems competent, and then support his/her schemes without getting too deep into the eye-crossingly complicated details. There are surely some righties who support Paul Ryan’s entitlement reforms for the same reason. Doesn’t excuse their poor judgment in supporting O, but back-breaking premiums is a steep price to pay for trusting a guy who assured them 8,000 times they’d be able to keep their plan. No president would lie that brazenly. Right?

Update: Speaking of Obama fans being “my-zeld,” as Debbie Wasserman-Schultz would say:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Here is Lee’s email address if you want to comment on the fact he is going to work less so every other taxpayer has to subsidize this abortion of a plan.

lee@leehammack.com

ClassicCon on November 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM

A little calculating shows that, that couple have invested over $92,000 in health care premiums over the years, and now they’re finding out the money has gone for naught.

I wouldn’t wish that on my enemies.

Maybe, if we work it right, we can convince them to come to our side.

franksalterego on November 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

That’s how insurance works. ACA doesn’t change that part of the equation. Just like if you haven’t crashed your car those insurance premiums still got paid.
They weren’t buying health care with that money.
Maybe if your side had any ideas at all about any of it it’d be worth coming to.
(I’d love to hear the ‘no more premiums’ one.)

verbaluce on November 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Yup, health insurance premiums aren’t cumulative, it’s like month by month rent payment.
For accumulating money for healthcare ya need a Medical Savings Acct. Or at least put the money into Universal Life policies against which they could make withdrawals/loans.

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Let me preface my remarks.. I’m a Conservative Republican.

That said, I find nothing funny or humorous about someone losing their health insurance.

I don’t care if they’re Republicans or Democrats or Liberals or anything else.

I wouldn’t wish that on my enemies.

franksalterego on November 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

No one wished it on them frank. As a matter of fact, Republicans/conservatives did everything possible to keep this all from happening to anyone. That included trying to save Democrats from themselves.
This couple in particular seems to have had no change of heart in their support for Obamacre. So why won’t they gladly pay their higher premium? They merely want the law “fixed” so they aren’t the ones to suffer under it. Sounds like your typical lib hypocrite to me.
I’ll put my sympathy elsewhere.

lynncgb on November 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM

They are still Obama supporters. They were totally fine with this as long as ‘somebody else’ was taking the hit. When it landed on their head, that’s when we see the tears. They are nasty lefties and deserve this more than anybody else, especially those that didn’t go full Obamabot. What’s really funny is that letter they wrote to Pelosi! What a riot! Yeah, she’ll fix it for you guys…just keep holding your breath.

As Ace would say, I got a huge Schadenboner reading that.

AUINSC on November 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

ClassicCon on November 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I’m not sure it’s kosher at HA to post an email addy with the intent to get folks to harass the addressee.

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

franksalterego on November 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I’ll put my sympathy elsewhere.

lynncgb on November 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Exactly. They asked for it. They wanted it.
They just thought, as libtards typically do, that it would be great as long as someone else pays for it.
The real world just hit them like a shovel – and yet they still don’t have a clue what or who hit them.

dentarthurdent on November 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I don’t like the idea of anyone losing their insurance either. HOWEVER, these imbeciles played an active role in this! They voted for Dumbo twice, donated to his brownshirt PAC, and even worked the phones for him. The receive the cancellation form, and they STILL have faith in this liar! They wouldn’t change a thing…..except their own income so they can leech off the system!!!!

Save your sympathy for people who deserve it: these 2 clearly do NOT!!!

Snitchmo on November 6, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Spot on.

franksalterego, these folks aren’t worth your pity. They are getting screwed by Obamacare, and continue to support Obama. No hope for them.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on November 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM

As Ace would say, I got a huge Schadenboner reading that.
AUINSC on November 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Drives home the point that PT Barnum was right.

And that other old saying that starts out “Fool me once….”

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on November 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM

And they still support 0scare itself – they just want someone else to pay for it for them.

dentarthurdent on November 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Meet the Obama-supporting couple who just got hosed by ObamaCare

My response; “go screw yourself.”

lorien1973 on November 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

yeah…the hammer’s gonna fall on that one….

BigWyo on November 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM

ClassicCon on November 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

ClassicCon should have least added the caveat “Keep your e-mails to Lee classy” in the original post!

But I have a feeling the Lee e-mail addy is already gone viral elsewhere. He’ll likely just delete the account and get a new one.

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I guess a lot of folks get to learn another unfamiliar government term such as the Working Poor…It’s called Underemployed.

Working Poor means you don’t qualify.

Underemployed means you don’t earn what you could.

Hammack is deciding to be what judges call willfully underemployed…This term is used a lot in child support cases by the prosecution.

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 6:33 PM

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I wouldn’t waste my breath on these O’zombies. A crook is a crook … he’s already testified as to his character … nothing we can say will change that.

ORrighty on November 6, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Nor can Mr. and Mrs. Rube take much comfort from the tone of the comments at the story’s site: they are of one voice, and are breathtakingly — and IMO deservedly — ruthless. My favorite includes: “Down schaudenfreude, down!”

BLOC on November 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM

The redirecting of disposable income will have an ill-effect on the economy too.

Collateral damage.

mankai on November 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Yeah, if you’ve ever run a site you know that’s pretty easy to do by going into the mail settings, deleting the old name and adding a new one.

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I like the ‘ha ha’ theme. Let me try it . . .

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Yay-ez, I feel the power of the ha ha!!!!

Obama luuuuuuuuzers!!! Collective bunch of dopes.

One more time (hell no, I’m not going to be gracious)

Conservchik on November 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I don’t feel sorry for them one bit. These aren’t doe eyed, 20 something, idealists. These are older educated people who chose to blindly believe the crap Obama and the Dems were shoveling. The fact that they’re now looking into ways to game the system to qualify for subsidies says all you need to know about their character. Just two more Dems who want to help people as long as someone else is paying for it.

buckichick1 on November 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I ABSOLUTELY feel schadenfreude regarding people like these. Political ignorance or apathy is an extremely poor excuse for forcing serfdom upon the entire country. They deserve a good screwing, for what they’ve done to everyone else with their thoughtless and ignorant votes.

SteveThomas on November 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Who cares. I just sent him one.

msupertas on November 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM

buckichick1 on November 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Where in the world did you get that idea? The article clearly says they’re liberals!

;)

Snitchmo on November 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM

buckichick1 on November 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

True.

I’d like to ask the Hammacks if that feel good feeling they got voting to purge their guilt of privilege was worth it?

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM

If that is in fact still allowed under Obamacare, that is an easy fix by a new regulation from DHHS. Can’t have any creative free market solutions to government problems being exploited now can we?

weaselyone on November 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Its my plan for coping with the doubling of my insurance cost under Obamacare. I hope it would require law not regulation to eliminate. It is presently available to me in Georgia. I believe it is available nationally. Last month I was searching for such a product when I heard a commentator on a news program give the proper name for this product. It’s an oversight/loophole which blows up Obamacare for sure. I just don’t know whether the Administration can eliminate it so easily.

John E. on November 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

buckichick1 on November 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

;)

LOL, Touche

buckichick1 on November 6, 2013 at 7:00 PM

“Ohmygosh I might be an economic conservative. I don’t want to believe it, I can’t believe it-but you make sense and now that you’ve explained it-it just seems right and explains SO MUCH!”

1 person at a time, 1 person at a time.

SgtSVJones on November 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Bless you SgtSVJones! And congratulations on your success in opening the eyes of your roommate!

I am doing my best to change one mind at a time too. But I admit that some days I have more patience than other days.

I had a bit of success in a conversation with an Obamacare Navigator recently, but she may still require some additional economic counseling in spite of her MBA education. I continue to shake my head after that conversation.

wren on November 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM

That’s what he’s leaning toward — lowering his salary or shifting more money toward a retirement account and applying for a subsidy.

The IRS is managing Obamacare…Or doesn’t he understand that?

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Snitchmo on November 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Probably have pictures of Skittle pooping unicorns and/or Obama on their walls. But they know fast enough how to get on the dole.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM

The IRS also seems to know who is and isn’t liberal, maybe it will make a difference.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Everyone really needs to read the comments in that article. Along with the ones here, there are some truly priceless gems!

Snitchmo on November 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

They’ve been ObamaHosed

faraway on November 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Nah.

They’re suckers and peons…Not rich enough or well connected enough to matter.

Just suckers…and there’s another one born every minute.

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 7:13 PM

The Hammacks prove White Guilt Psychosis is lethal.

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Who cares.
msupertas on November 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Oh, I dunno – maybe the HA moderators?

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Collateral damage.

mankai on November 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Seeing that already in the residential real estate sector. Things have slowed to a crawl across all layers of that industry.

But it wouldn’t surprise me to see an uptick in residential mortgage refinances soon. Because the sticker-shocked rubes will have to take out loans on their houses to help them pay their increased health premiums!

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM

who just got hosed by ObamaCare

OMG funny way of putting it

Rate shock landmine = good one Allah

SparkPlug on November 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM

…rules are changing, there will be different people who benefit and different people who don’t.

Straight out of “Animal Farm”.

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM

You know sometimes you read stories about people losing coverage or getting higher premiums or a larger deductible and you get so angry. The a story like this comes along and makes your whole day.

Ted Torgerson on November 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM

“We’re not changing our views because of this situation, but it hurt to hear Obama saying, just the other day, that if our plan has been dropped it’s because it wasn’t any good, and our costs would go up only slightly,” he said. “We’re gratified that the press is on the case, but frustrated that the stewards of the ACA don’t seem to have heard.”

Give us hell, Quimby!

mankai on November 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Maybe emails from people who don’t live in their unicorn fart bubble will cause them to rub two brain cells together and form a thought. Highly unlikely, but worth a shot.

msupertas on November 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

“We’re not changing our views because of this situation, but it hurt to hear Obama saying, just the other day, that if our plan has been dropped it’s because it wasn’t any good, and our costs would go up only slightly,” he said. “We’re gratified that the press is on the case, but frustrated that the stewards of the ACA don’t seem to have heard”

Stewards of the ACA?
Don’t think that’ll work for them in the welfare line.

*facepalm*

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM

For the sake of humanity, let’s hope Hammock and his wife didn’t procreate.

bw222 on November 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM

msupertas on November 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I’m just surprised there are people who will follow orders from some anonymous person posting comments and send off nasty emails to a stranger.

Then again there’s no lack of people who send the wrong kind of email to high office holders and end up having a nice chat with the Secret Service. Just two differing degrees of dumbness, I suppose.

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Schadenfreude, pure!

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM

weaselyone on November 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM

John E. on November 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Re Short Term Health Insurance, spent some time looking at that. ehealthinsurance.com does it, under tab ‘shop for insurance’, then ‘health insurance’, then ‘short term health insurance’.

Terms up to one year less one day. Not clear that Obamacare would still allow these however.

The other loophole is to ask your existing insurance provider if they can reset your existing insurance to a renewal date of Dec. 01, 2013, which means it can run for a year.

Sounds too easy though.

slickwillie2001 on November 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Sorry but I do NOT feel sorry for anyone who voted for Obama and is now being screwed over by Obamacare. Hoisted on their own petard, reaping-sowing, goes around comes around and all that. Pass the grey poupon.

neyney on November 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Sounds too easy though.

slickwillie2001 on November 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Right. I’m keeping my current insurance thru 2014, then plan to switch to Short Term Medical, if I don’t get cancer or something. This will eliminate any risk and reduce costs. Also expect to avoid the tax penalty because of the exception provided for the case where cheapest plan is more than 8% of income. Given the costs of the Obamacare plans this is surprisingly broad.

I haven’t found any indication that Short Term Medical is going away in 2014. I do wonder whether HHS may be able to drive up its costs by making these plans use the Obamacare risk pools though.

John E. on November 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I’m in Maryland, just got dropped by Coventry because of ACA. Old plan: $574 per month / 2K deductible / full coverage after deductible. New plan from Care First: $540 per month / 6K deductible / 40% of all costs out of pocket after deductible. Welcome to Obaminsurance Land.

khacha on November 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM

To Obama-supporting people who got hosed by ObamaCare…

What difference, at this point, does it make?

socalcon on November 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM

NRO’s Andrew Johnson reports re Sen. Cruz vis a vis Obysmal and his Obysmalcare:

Texas doesn’t want to hear anymore of President Obama’s “false promises” about the Affordable Care Act, according to Senator Ted Cruz. He’s urged the president to drop his plans to visit Dallas on Wednesday to deliver a speech on Obamacare.

“President Obama should take his broken promises tour elsewhere so Texans can continue focusing on the solutions that have allowed our state to become and remain the nation’s economic and job creation powerhouse,” Cruz said in a statement. He went on to list a series of unfulfilled promises the president has made, all related to health care.

Emphasizing that the law has “no place in Texas,” Cruz called for a full repeal of the ACA, saying only that would ”empower Americans and their families” to find more effective health-care options.

onlineanalyst on November 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

khacha on November 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM

The WH will soon be publicizing your premium reduction of 6% as a WIN!! for O-Care.

socalcon on November 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood just hammered Ocare on Cmas.

hillsoftx on November 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I do not like being lied to. I know get in line.

MrMoe on November 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM

(I’d love to hear the ‘no more premiums’ one.)

verbaluce on November 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Wait, you mean other than the entire threads you claim you never get answers in?

This is all yours, verbaluce.

What’s currently happening to grocery budgets of families with small children? You did it.

What’s currently happening to middle class education savings? You did it.

What’s currently happening to retirement accounts? You did it.

What’s currently happening to the wealth average Americans struggled to accumulate and hoped to pass on to their grandkids? You did it.

Congratulations. You got exactly what you wanted. I can see why you want someone else to blame.

rogerb on November 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM

rogerb on November 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Bravo.

hillbillyjim on November 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I wish I could muster the ability to feel sorry for these folks and K. Powers, but they helped cause this national nightmare that will destroy the economy. All out of pity for them. We will all suffer because of these hopenchangy fools.

Philly on November 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM

You voted for Obama, now it’s time to pay,,,
-in more taxes
-in more medical expenses
-in debt that your children and their children will never pay off

Obama, the great hope of the dope Americas.

SFTech on November 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM

If anyone believes the ACA is about insuring Americans they really need to take some different meds. This plan isn’t about that or anything to do with health care for Americans, we had great health care and a great health care delivery system. I’m not saying there weren’t things that could be done to improve it, but there was never enough of a problem to call for something this drastic.

This bill has the potential to drag is into 3rd world status, when it comes to health care. Is anyone willing to fight this thing? The Republicans have been a failure at it and the Democrats know what the real reason for this is. Who’s left?

bflat879 on November 6, 2013 at 9:04 PM

OT: Megyn Kelly is crucifying Obama over Obamacare. I bet she–more than Greta, BOR, or Hannity–is going to be the one nighttime talking head who takes Obama down over this. She’s p*ssed, and she’s relentless.

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Dang. I turned off the tv too soon. Details, please?

esr1951 on November 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Complete, total, idiots.

stenwin77 on November 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Kelly is having the woman who wrote the Monday WSJ editorial on her show. This could be epic.

During her show, Marc Thiessen made a good point. The healthies in the individual market had their lives turned upside down just to make sure that specific group had to buck up dough to subsidize others. Taxation is one thing, but this is a disgraceful bit of targeting.

Phuck Obama and Dems. Specific Americans should not be targeted in this manner to benefit others.

BTW: Edie Sundby is yummy. Godspeed to her.

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

These people make me crazy. I swear, liberalism really is a mental disorder.

Basically, it’s the same refrain over and over, “I love the lightbringer and his totally awesome takeover of the healthcare system, but damned if I want to pay for it!”

BacaDog on November 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Thanks!

esr1951 on November 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Collateral damage.

mankai on November 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

yeah, the libs will probably support communist motors instead of Mercedes now.

redguy on November 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Dang. I turned off the tv too soon. Details, please?

esr1951 on November 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM

She’s reaming Obama all over the place over the lies. She had Marc Thiessen, then Cornyn, and now Edie Sundby, and they’ve all been excellent segments. Screw the fair-and-balance: there is no other side of the story to this story. Obama and the Dems phucked this up. There’s absolutely no reason to host Obamaphiles to tell viewers that Obama “really meant….”

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Fvck him. This douchebag raises rates on my family…money I should be spending on my kids and you are worried about stupid internet etiquette. Christ some of you conservatives need to sack up.

ClassicCon on November 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Good. Right Scoop should have some clips tomorrow! Thanks!

esr1951 on November 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Now, Megyn is going after Obama and the unions are seeking some kind of a tax break for their plans.

Megyn is on Fiyah!

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Doesn’t the constitution say something about equal protection under the law?

esr1951 on November 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Two other things on Megyn Kelly.

She reported at the top of the show that the policy cancellations are up to 4.2 million. If Obama thought people were going to forget about these cancellations, fuggedaboutit. I’m betting Kelly will announce the running totals of cancellations EVERY NIGHT for weeks and months to come.

After the commercial, she’s coming back with two Obama phonebank volunteers who got their policies canceled. I’m eager to see what they say now.

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

CMS’s chief technology officer is “retiring” before healthcare.gov is scheduled to be back up … or just up … whatever

J_Crater on November 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Doesn’t the constitution say something about equal protection under the law?

esr1951 on November 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I agree. I also thought that there was a fine constitutional point about taxation. I believe that this is just hidden taxation that’s simply being applied to a specific group of people. Heck, we needed an amendment to tax individuals on their income.

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM

This sums it up pretty well…

Midas on November 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Yes. that too is a good point. The ACA taxes those who have taken responsibility for their lives and their families, and gives to those who have not.

esr1951 on November 6, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Oh Now THIS IS precious! Bless your little leftist hearts!

Here’s what I got for leftist useful idiots:

a5minmajor on November 6, 2013 at 9:47 PM

esr1951 on November 6, 2013 at 9:43 PM

The liberal solution to most everything, summed up quite nicely.

Midas on November 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Er… I guess it’s AP’s friend, but c’mon. If people can’t shove themselves away from the TV or whatever for an hour or two to read up on things and learn and ask questions, etc, then why should anyone care.

I do hope that these liberals at least felt good about themselves for a little while so they can use it as a small comfort when they have to wait six months for a scan or to see a specialist.

kim roy on November 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Mr. and Mrs. Rube must be reeling right now.

They’re evidently taking flack from both sides: the political left for expressing dissatisfaction about the president’s signature program and a long-standing leftist goal, and the political right for being the rubes they are.

Which only underlines how absolutely clueless they actually are: how could they nothave anticipated this?

BLOC on November 6, 2013 at 9:52 PM

:):):)

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Excellent first comment.

*thumbs up emoticon here*

kim roy on November 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM

onlineanalyst on November 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Obama was in Texas today and asked Gov. Perry to expand Medicaid cause everyone else around Texas is doing it.

Obama:

“One of the things that gets me a little frustrated,” Obama said, “are folks who are complaining about how the website’s not working, and why isn’t Obama fixing it. And yet they’re leaving more than a million people right now without health insurance that they could immediately fix.”

Gov. Perry:

“President Obama deceived the American people by promising that anyone who liked their health care plan could keep it, but millions of Americans are now discovering that simply isn’t true. Now, he’s coming to Texas in a desperate attempt to salvage his ill-conceived and unpopular program from a Titanic fate by preaching expansion of the same Medicaid system he himself admits is broken. In Texas, where Medicaid already consumes a quarter of the state budget, we simply need the flexibility to implement fundamental, state-specific reforms to our Medicaid program, instead of a one-size-fits-all Washington mandate, before it bankrupts our state. Mr. President, Texans aren’t the reason Obamacare is crumbling; Obamacare is the reason Obamacare is crumbling.”

workingclass artist on November 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM

So these two freaks got some of the devastation they so gleefully wished on others and are now crying in their Obama Coolaid.

VorDaj on November 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Well, it’s a mandate in Canada, without the Canadian Revenue Agency sticking their nose in. They reach into your paycheque and take what they want and you be grateful for the 50% that’s left. That’s not a mandate per se, but your healthcare insurance gets paid before you buy your groceries, or pay your electric bill, because it’s deducted off your pay by the company you work for. All neat and clean and no one has to get chased down. We all pay our socialist percentage no matter if we are marathon running vegans or diabetic alcoholic smokers.

mojowt on November 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM

(I’d love to hear the ‘no more premiums’ one.)

verbaluce on November 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Hey douche, “our side” has a FANTASTIC idea! It’s called “Buy As Much Of Your Own Insurance, As Your Lazy Ass Can AFFORD!”

The idea that everyone should HAVE excellent healthcare benefits is a ridiculous, leftist, utopian fallacy. That’s as invalid as saying ‘Everyone should have excellent cheeseburgers’ or ‘Everyone should drive a Mercedes’ There are already Federal laws and Regulations that provide free emergency medical treatment of any indigent person that walks in an ER. (EMTALA and the like)

There was never ONE SINGLE THING wrong with “Health Care” in America. “HEALTHCARE” in America is still the BEST quality in the world, hands-down, not even a close second.

The problem was the COST of INSURANCE. Which, oddly, does not DECREASE with a higher, forced, DEMAND.

You want to see a great doctor whenever you get the sniffles? That costs money. I want cheap scripts, excellent education and experience from my doctor, and to see said expert as soon as I feel I, or my family, need them. So I search for an employer that provides excellent coverage.

Employers were doing JUST FINE offering solid medical plans as benefits packages…Till your stupid-ass Messiah drove a spike through an already ailing economy.

Two words, Jag… “Tort Reform”

Whenever somebody hits a punitive jackpot in a medical settlement…Where do you think that X hundred million dollar award comes from? And who PAYS that insurance company’s rates to COVER the cost of that loss?….

There is no free lunch.

I could do this for days….

Getting Baked would be more productive than this…

a5minmajor on November 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM

O/T but definitely worth it… Hope this link works.. I’m not too good at this yet.. been getting a lot of chatter online.. http://t.co/4oyajOfx1o

vamp57mw on November 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Sorry… guess I should have mentioned it’s Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood at the CMA’s… funny stuff…

vamp57mw on November 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Just loving the wails of anguish of people who thought they were getting something for nothing realize that they have been conned.

Maybe the Birthrs should have checked to see if Obama was really from Nigeria…..

iconoclast on November 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM

(I’d love to hear the ‘no more premiums’ one.)

verbaluce on November 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM

This is all yours, verbaluce.

What’s currently happening to middle class education savings? You did it.

What’s currently happening to retirement accounts? You did it.

rogerb on November 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Bingo..

Look,.. verbie a shameless lying hack.. knows damn well multiple GOP proposals were offered, Pelosi slammed the door locking them out of the writing of this abomination, and libs like verbie chuckled themselves even more stupid than they were to start.

and their hirelings in the media parroted that same lie.. “what GOP proposals”?…. “we didn’t see no stinking plans”.

The OBAst@rd Medicare cuts to part B.. those billions millions of us paid into for SSD insurance?

my payouts for medications shot up 300%..

300%.. and I only receive 1,500 for me, and 375 for each of our two minor children, which ends when they hit 18. My wife works damned hard, fulltime, but ten bucks an hour doesn’t go far..

We never asked for much.. weren’t ambitious, save for what we need, never use credit.. I never even expected to ever retire.. but multiple fractures of the spine will do that.. and the small pension I receive was gratefully, humbly accepted as something you get when you are maimed too much to work anymore.

and now, I have to decide what part of the grocery budget takes a hit.. I pay everything when it comes in, rent, utilities, the washing machine we’re paying on.. the remaining small amount is for gas and groceries, I spend almost nothing on myself.. my wife covers what little we do entertainment wise.. which isn’t much,.. the occasional DVD or video game. like three in a year..

so I now because of verbie’s hero Obast@rd.. have to stretch a food dollar even further than I could before with 31 years grocery retail experience, I know how to be frugal in a market..

Damn you both to Hell with your arrogant condescension.. elitist jerkoffs with the soul of a Nazi camp guard..

My brother lost his insurance.. his girlfriend, my mother in law, who’s not on Medicare yet.. more and more people in my family, or who I know, are totally f**ked by you verbie.. and a lot of them.. are democrats.. doubt many of the working poor in my world will be as forgiving.. dems or not.

You in a rabidly partisan grab at socializing healthcare, have screwed millions more than you will ever “help”…

Sane people saw this coming, reasoned people.. and you lied, denied, diverted, and distorted, all to make believe it wouldn’t happen..

and now it is..

You liberals OWN this, and the middle class when the dust settles, is going to make you eat it, count on it.

mark81150 on November 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

This is too delicious. I am rather enjoying the plight of fools who would not listen. Thankfully, they are funding this near-retiree’s social benefits.

Wonderful irony.

microfiction on November 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM

As you said, read the article in full. Including the bits that detail the Obamacare ‘victim’ stories that fall apart within days of their 5 mins of fame on con blogs and Fox News.

verbaloon on November 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Too intellectually lazy to share the money quotes yourself with links from Media Matters, I see. Soros isn’t paying you much, is she?

F+

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM

And Obama promised that if they CHOSE to get the so-called “better” Obamacare plan, it would be 14% to 20% CHEAPER!

THE PRESIDENT: …
One thing, Jon, you shook your head when I said that people would be able to choose the better plan because the notion was, well, people are mandated. Actually, any insurance that you currently have would be grandfathered in so you could keep it. And so you could decide not to get in the exchange the better plan — I could keep my Acme insurance, just a high-deductible catastrophic plan — I would not be required to get the better one. If I chose to get the better one, it would be 14 to 20 percent cheaper than if I were going into the individual market. I just wanted to clarify that issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdj5bEXZ_0E (1:12:48 – 1:13:25)

or use the following link to watch (1:12:48 – 1:13:25) in a repeating loop:

Full Transcript

ITguy on November 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM

If I sound angry, I’m furious.. the very people the demorats “claim” to care about?

were thrown under the bus from the start, all to cover an extra 30 million illegal undocumented demorats…

Their union thugs?.. exempted.. the government hacks who did it?.. exempted.. their celeb supporters, too 1% to give a damn..

Peopel in this country long labored under the notion, you work hard, and make your own reward.. even the humble working class.. which never asked for much..

The liberals have just made it clear, they have sacrificed the middle class for the millions on the dole, and the monied gentry liberal class..

Liberals love that manufactured underclass.. have worked hard to keep them uneducated, and dependent.. teaching them work was for suckers.. I know well the type.. Wife’s baby sister.. hooked up with three different guys for three kids.. and hasn’t worked more than two weeks in 14 years.. on welfare.. till it runs out. wiats two years.. signs up again… ebt, which she sold money off of to score her and dirtbags weed..

she’s now under investigation by children’s services.. because as we suspected, boyfriend and father no. 2 is physically abusive,.. a screaming lunatic..

and foster care is preferable to the drug den lifestyle she so loved..

This, is your Obama voter..

aren’t you so proud liberals, in seeing what you created..

The working middle class, the working poor.. you screw..

The lazy, the slackers, the drug abusers and users, you reward..

mark81150 on November 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Happened to the exact kind of people it needed to happen to. That’s called justice. I look forward over the next few years to hearing lots of horror stories from Obama supporters, especially when the death panels get up and running. Hopefully I’ll hear these stories in person now and then and I will be able to laugh in their faces.

peacenprosperity on November 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM

mark81150 on November 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

mark81150 on November 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Beautifully said!

“By refusing to admit to themselves the nature of that which they are accepting; the people who support plans specifically designed to achieve serfdom, but hide behind the empty assertion that they are lovers of freedom, with no concrete meaning attached to the word … They expect, when they find themselves in a world of bloody ruins and concentration camps, to escape moral responsibility by wailing: ‘But I didn’t mean this!’”

– Ayn Rand

ShainS on November 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Because I can and will.

(I’d love to hear the ‘no more premiums’ one.)

verbaluce on November 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM

This is all yours, verbaluce.

What’s currently happening to middle class education savings? You did it.

What’s currently happening to retirement accounts? You did it.

rogerb on November 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Bmore on November 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Because I can I will……

and foster care is preferable to the drug den lifestyle she so loved..

This, is your Obama voter..

aren’t you so proud liberals, in seeing what you created..

The working middle class, the working poor.. you screw..

The lazy, the slackers, the drug abusers and users, you reward..

mark81150 on November 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Bmore on November 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Because this made me smile. ; )

:):):)