Video: The freaky triple deaky “skydivers’ planes collide” clip

posted at 6:01 pm on November 5, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate before election-night coverage begins, video proof that truth can be stranger than fiction even when the fiction’s directed by Michael Bay. You’re about to watch two planes collide in mid-air with nine skydivers in total aboard — four of them outside the plane, on the step and ready to jump, when impact occurs. Death toll: Zero, with one of the pilots suffering only minor injuries. Believe it or not, the pilot in the second plane was able to steer it safely back to the airport. Tell me how likely any of those details seem to you after you watch the clip.

To a man, the divers say they’re willing to jump again in the future. I’m treating the clip as a metaphor for the shutdown and the RINO/tea party infighting during and after: It was explosive and potentially disastrous for the GOP, but everyone got out OK thanks to their ObamaCare parachutes. Onward to the midterms!

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

It’s hard to tell who collided into whom.

nobar on November 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The GOPe is the planes, AP, and, like the planes, the GOPe is going to find out the HARD way what going after the Tea Party is going to cost them.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!”

The GOPe has proven it CAN’T lead, it isn’t smart enough to follow and in its hubris has decided it wont’t get out of the way.

PolAgnostic on November 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Amazing video.

Glad everyone made it.

portlandon on November 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM

McAwful and De Blame-eo projected as winners in tonights elections by CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, LAT, NYT, HUFFPO, WAPO, NPR, NBC, ETC. in 5…..4…..3….

State of Virginia and City of New York seen falling to their deaths from tragic election outcome.

Film at 11ty.

PappyD61 on November 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

nobar on November 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM

From what I read the other day, the lower plane was out of place and flew into the plane the video was shot from.

A pretty intense video though.

cozmo on November 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM

those will be the only lives that Obamacare ever saves……

;-)

ted c on November 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Brilliant!

TXUS on November 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Miracle!!

canopfor on November 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

It’s hard to tell who collided into whom.

nobar on November 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM

It appeared the upper plane put it’s right landing gear into the left wing which is were the gas is at. Which is why the immediate fire. Who was out of position you can’t tell. I assume the pilots had parachutes because the planes were either classified as experimental or aerobatic. They do take the jump doors off them for fast exit. Very lucky.

CW20 on November 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM

But is skydiving covered under ObamaCare?

I wonder if the pilot of the plane that exploded had Geico?

redguy on November 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Anyone concerned about these MACS happening with all those drones flying around?

Galt2009 on November 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM

…Who was out of position you can’t tell. I assume the pilots had parachutes because the planes were either classified as experimental or aerobatic. … Very lucky.

CW20 on November 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Technically, you CAN tell who was out of position at the moment of impact. The pilot of the trailing plane has only ONE job and that is to maintain separation with the lead plane. In the video at the time of impact the plane on top is trailing.

But that doesn’t mean that he was SUPPOSED to be the trail plane. Something may have happened to cause the original trail plane to overtake the lead plane.

Maybe that happened here? I don’t know, but it is unusual for the trail plane to be above and to the left of the lead plane because that is the position in which it is most difficult for the trail pilot to see the lead plane when flying close together. For a number of reasons, slightly above and on the right side of the lead plane is usually where the trail plane would be on jump run.

They do take the jump doors off them for fast exit.

Usually not. If you check the video you can see the door. It hinges at the top. It takes about 20 minutes to reach altitude and that’s a LONG time to not have a door – very windy, noisy and this time of year in WI, rather cold also.

climbnjump on November 5, 2013 at 8:03 PM

AP, I think the “second plane” is the higher aircraft. The lower aircraft only had one wing remaining which would make it impossible to fly (not “very difficult to fly” – “impossible to fly”).

blink on November 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Not always

cozmo on November 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Not always

cozmo on November 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I had forgotten about that one. How could the pilot not know he lost a wing?

Murphy9 on November 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Murphy9 on November 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Also seen pics of an F-8 and/or F-4 flying with wingtips folded.

cozmo on November 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM

i’m still trying to get over the fact that people willingly jump out of planes for fun?? i mean wtf?? never mind the crash, just seeing how high up they were from the ground made me uncomfortable… (of course, the crash made me even more uncomfortable) *shudder*

Sachiko on November 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Sachiko on November 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM

It is fun. It can’t really be explained, only experienced. They were at 12,000 ft. At some dropzones, it is possible to do high altitude jumps from about 22,000 ft. That’s 90 seconds of free fall. Very cool.

climbnjump on November 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Reminds me of my Call of Duty days.

antisense on November 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Brilliant. ..but I anticipate casualties. Civil wars tend to be especially brutal that way.

lexhamfox on November 5, 2013 at 11:35 PM

It’s hard to tell who collided into whom.

nobar on November 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM

They collided into each other. The rule for VFR flight is to ‘see and avoid’ other aircraft and obstacles. Ultimately both pilots are responsible.

DarkCurrent on November 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Ultimately both pilots are responsible.

DarkCurrent on November 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM

That’s my uneducated sense. It just seems odd that this happened at all. Did they just not see each other?

Still just, wow.

Esthier on November 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Way too close together. Double pilot error though the pilot below had zero chance to see the above plane.

Antidote. Several years ago I was flying over an airport at altitude. Suddenly peeps starting falling through the clouds all around me. Wish I had a video. Scared them more than me. Must have been a dozen jumpers. Very bad timing though all is well that ends well.

filetandrelease on November 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Several years ago I was flying over an airport at altitude. Suddenly peeps starting falling through the clouds all around me. … Must have been a dozen jumpers. Very bad timing though all is well that ends well.

filetandrelease on November 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Just wondering if you learned from your multiple mistakes?

Scared them more than me.

Really? I don’t know what kind of a plane you were flying, but depending on what part of your airframe was struck, a collision with a jumper might not have turned out any better for you than the jumper. You might just have had more time to think about it on the way down.

climbnjump on November 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM