Quotes of the day

posted at 11:01 pm on November 5, 2013 by Allahpundit

Sections of an op-ed Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul wrote on mandatory minimums in The Washington Times in September appear nearly identical to an article by Dan Stewart of The Week that ran a week earlier. The discovery comes amid reports from BuzzFeed that Paul plagiarized in his book and in several speeches.

Paul also delivered testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Sept. 16, 2013, that included the copied sections.

***

In an interview Sunday on ABC’s This Week, Paul said “hacks and haters” were trying to manufacture controversy over relatively minor transgressions.

“I take it as an insult and I will not lie down and say people can call me dishonest, misleading or misrepresenting,” Paul told host George Stephanopoulos. “I have never intentionally done so.”

“And like I say, if, you know, if dueling were legal in Kentucky, if they keep it up, you know, it would be a duel challenge. But I can’t do that, because I can’t hold office in Kentucky then.”

***

The office of Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., has released a statement on allegations that he has plagiarized in speeches, his recent book, and in a recent op-ed in the Washington Times. It comes from Paul’s senior advisor Doug Stafford:

“In the thousands of speeches and op-eds Sen. Paul has produced, he has always presented his own ideas, opinions and conclusions. Sen. Paul also relies on a large number of staff and advisers to provide supporting facts and anecdotes – some of which were not clearly sourced or vetted properly.

“Footnotes presenting supporting facts were not always used. Going forward, footnotes will be available on request. There have also been occasions where quotations or typesetting indentations have been left out through errors in our approval process. From here forward, quoting, footnoting and citing will be more complete.

“Adherence to a new approval process implemented by Sen. Paul will ensure proper citation and accountability in all collaborative works going forward.

***

Sitting in a conference room in his Senate office complex, Mr. Paul, drawn and clearly shaken by the plagiarism charges, offered a mix of contrition and defiance. He said that he was not certain whether it would affect his prospects should he decide to run for president in 2016 — he said he would happily return to his Kentucky doctor’s practice — and he asserted that was being unfairly targeted.

Acknowledging that his office had “made mistakes,” he said he was putting a new system in place to ensure that all of his materials are properly footnoted and cited.

“What we are going to do from here forward, if it will make people leave me the hell alone, is we’re going to do them like college papers,” he said. “We’re going to try to put out footnotes. We’re going to have them available. If people want to request the footnoted version, we’re going to have it available.”

Mr. Paul also said he could not rule out that other examples of past plagiarism would come out, but he unequivocally added that no staff members would be fired.

***

The Washington Times said Tuesday it had independently reviewed Mr. Paul’s columns and op-eds and published a correction to one column on Sept. 20 in which the senator had failed to attribute a passage that first appeared in Forbes.

The newspaper and the senator mutually agreed to end his weekly column, which has appeared on each Friday in the newspaper since the summer.

“We expect our columnists to submit original work and to properly attribute material, and we appreciate that the senator and his staff have taken responsibility for an oversight in one column,” Times Editor John Solomon said.

***

For more than a week, Rachel Maddow, MSNBC’s flagship host, has been doggedly pursuing the story surrounding Sen. Rand Paul’s (R-KY) lifting of the plotlines of the movie Gattaca from the film’s Wikipedia page in a speech. She pursued the story nightly, even when there was no new information to report.

Her tenacity in pursuit of that story inspired a series of jokes among conservatives at Maddow’s expense. The seeming frivolity of the infraction on Paul’s part (or, more likely, his speechwriting staff’s part) did not merit the excessive coverage that Maddow devoted to it. Many believed that the MSNBC host was attempting to reignite her long-standing feud with the senator, even at the risk of her credibility…

A week ago, it was Maddow who could have been accused of “immaturity.” Today, she is vindicated. There is nothing trivial about plagiarism. Paul would be well-advised to take ownership of these infractions, correct for them, and ensure that they never happen again. Furthermore, he would also be well-served to not lash out at those who criticize them – especially when they can be so easily proven correct.

***

The second problem, which cuts straight to the heart of the difference between Rand Paul and his dad, is that he’s actually trying to win the presidency. If your goal is to genuinely compete in a general election with your once-marginalized ideas, instead of building a revolutionary movement at the margins, then you don’t need to be as clean as the competition–you need to be cleaner. Why? Call it The Weird Man’s Burden…

So what does that mean in this instance? If he wants to run for president, he needs to be better, not worse, and not merely as good, as the competition when it comes to the most seemingly trivial matters of comportment. Journalists, particularly (though not only) from those outlets sensitive to the allure that libertarian ideas have on some progressive voters, will be gunning for every possible gaffe, glitch, error of judgment, and stated deviance. He should consider it an honor to be challenged, instead of a challenge to get huffy about.

People who choose the Inside Game know, or at least should know, that the deck is stacked against them, and that they will be judged more harshly. Those were always the rules. On the upside, being the first real truth-teller inside an empire of lies carries with it enormous galvanizing potential. Whining about being picked on in this context is like complaining about getting fouled when you drive to the hoop against Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn. The answer is to dunk the damned basketball, not bitch to the refs. And for god’s sake, make sure your shoes are tied.

***

Via Greg Hengler.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Dire Straits on November 6, 2013 at 1:42 AM

An excellent tune. :) Cool how Reed spanned various genre of rock and punk seemingly effortlessly. Quite a talent. :)

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM

PointnClick on November 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM

PnC has a new one from the 4th!…just checked!…good!

KOOLAID2 on November 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM

SparkPlug on November 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Ann Peebles – “I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down”

You think you’ve got it all set up
You think you’ve got the perfect plan
To charm everyone you see
And playing any game you can

But I’ve got news for you
I hope it don’t hit you too hard
One of these days while you’re at play
I’m gonna catch you off guard

I’m gonna tear your playhouse down
Pretty soon
I’m gonna tear your playhouse down
Room by room

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Unbelievable.
Eff’m all.

Time to purge!

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:46 AM

The Sky Is Crying – SRV

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I agree with Allahpundit and prefer Rand over Christie.

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM

you were battling the weasels well…on the Vagin@ election thread!…it was entertaining!

KOOLAID2

I do what I can but I can only take the stupid for so long.

xblade on November 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Unbelievable.
Eff’m all.

Time to purge!

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:46 AM

The political class. Careerists.

TERM LIMITS.

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Famous Blue Raincoat

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2013 at 1:49 AM

The Rolling Stones – “She’s a Rainbow”

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

hatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Amen!
Time to disinfect.
Our employees..which they forget..they don’t give a damn.
purge the rot.

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2013 at 1:49 AM

An astonishingly good song, as are most of Cohen’s pieces. His poetry is so good, the imagery so strong.

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Okay.. since Axefellow isn’t here, I’ll do it.

ROTCOTT!

LOL!

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Look at the scum of the R-side. They deserve complete obliteration.

The only reason they are in power is the TEA party. It’s time to throw them out, every one of them. They are worse than the communist/socialist latrine rats.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Why don’t you ask Cuccinelli what hurt him more, a guy who worked for a congressman ten years ago joining McAuliffe, or the idiotic grandstanding of Ted Cruz to force a fruitless shutdown for three weeks, effectively shortening the campaign and cutting the time ObamaCare would be covered?

Adjoran on November 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I’m good..:)

PS..It is sweet..:)

Dire Straits on November 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Dance Me To The End Of Love – Cohen

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Okay.. since Axefellow isn’t here, I’ll do it.

ROTCOTT!

LOL!

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:53 AM

LOL! Rotting Lemons

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I agree with Allahpundit and prefer Rand over Christie.

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM

…I never in my time here…say ‘good night’!…I just (rudely) disappear……………good night!

KOOLAID2 on November 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I’ll make this short and simple: Ted Cruz will never become President of the United States.

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Based on what, exactly?

PointnClick on November 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Political reality. Christie will get the $$$, nuke the competition, get the media hugs, the establishment’s support (because they want to win and control of the trough), and win the nomination.

I don’t believe people like you are very serious…

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I don’t think people like you are paying attention to the massive changes in the country. We’re Europe now.

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM

LOL! I think you found their new logo! Perfect. :)

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Plop. Haha. Love it.

SparkPlug on November 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Sammy Davis, Jr. – “Plop Plop Fizz Fizz”

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Good night! :-)

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Thats what we got in DC and Nation wide…rotting lemons.
Time to bring in the lemon law.

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Midnight Waltz – Adam Hurst

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Adjoran on November 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

We don’t need to – We KNOW it was the GOP Establishment HACKS and The False Flag Liberterian that They and the DNC foisted……….

….we also don’t need to ask if you have a opposable thumb, Penrod……

williamg on November 6, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I guess some believe 3rd times the charm.

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Time to bring in the lemon law.

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM

What a marvelous idea! Truly inspired!

If we don’t like them… if they’re crooked, or lazy and shiftless, and don’t represent us properly… not need for a recall… just turn them in for a new one!

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I’m not a person who’s afraid to use leverage when I have it (in fact, I enjoy using it! :)) – excuse-making people like you don’t understand someone like me at all…

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Adjoran on November 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

You lost me… where was the bad part here?

In 2016, after 169 million people have been dropped from their insurance plans will be very pissed off, and remember that this guy tried to stop this horseshit…

“I Told You So” bumper stickers… Lots of them…

PointnClick on November 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Adjoran on November 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

At what point in time do you expect that our government will get serious about its debt? Next year? 2 years? 15 years?

Who cares? Winning is all that matters, even if it takes $50 trillion in debt to do it, lol.

xblade on November 6, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 2:01 AM

:]
LOL..I have one eye open..one cell firing.
delirium..when I think clearly. lmao

I seriously gotta go.
God Bless and goodnight to all!

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Silvertown Blues – Knopfler

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 2:06 AM

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Goodnight, my friend. :) Sleep well.

Thanks for the laughs… and the insights. :)

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM

You can bet there are no unpopped kernels at Daves house. That is because Dire was there.

SparkPlug on November 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM

LoLz..You got that right..Wife almost banned late night popcorn..:)

Dire Straits on November 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM

We would EXPECT you to make it “Simple” – you’re a Simple Man, your simple enough to make Ozzy Osbourne look like Johnny VonNeumann…….

……as far as your admission of “shortness”….well, it’s admirable of you to admit that in public – but: I never disagree with a man’s own self-assessment…….

williamg on November 6, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Someone had been listening to “Sweet Jane”… :)

April Wine – “Tonight is a Wonderful Time to Fall in Love”

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 2:11 AM

More Than You’ll Ever Know – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on November 6, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM

williamg on November 6, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Insulting me is not making the case for Ted Cruz. :-(

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

PS..Wild..:)

Dire Straits on November 6, 2013 at 1:42 AM

…..’member that video….didn’t know it was “up” on the UTube………memories of the ’70s and Grover Washington’s sax solo on that one……….

williamg on November 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Insulting me is not making the case for Ted Cruz. :-(

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Cruz is a smarmy cluster****

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Insulting me is not making the case for Ted Cruz. :-(

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

….no – but it makes me FEEL better…….

….you’re not someone who is a candidate for having any “case” made for them – to be a candidate for that, you have to be capable of cognitive, rational thought…….

….figure out who John VonNeumann is, yet? it’s only a google away……

williamg on November 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Obie telling the LIE he told is going to change the dynamics of a lot of things..The POTUS lying to the country is going to have major impact..It is very sad..Hello darkness..:(

Dire Straits on November 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM

….you’re not someone who is a candidate for having any “case” made for them, or “to” them – to be a candidate for that, you have to be capable of cognitive, rational thought…….

williamg on November 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM

williamg on November 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Thumbs up..Both of them..:)

Dire Straits on November 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM

When can Reince Preibus be replaced?

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Three Dog Night – “Never Been To Spain”

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Cruz is a smarmy cluster****

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 2:21 AM

… and the shutdown was stupid.

Cruz is a smarmy cluster**** and the shutdown was stupid.

The shutdown was stupid, Anti-Control. It hurt the GOP politically. It certainly did help Terry Mac in Northern Virginia.

Now VA will have a Democrat Governor, Lt. Governor, and possibly Attorney General which is most upsetting. Mind you Bob McDonnell thumped the Democrats four years ago.

And VA is a MUST WIN STATE for the GOP in 2016.

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I am so disappointed in Romney for promoting Christie and dismissing Cruz.

I still think he was the best choice during the last cycle, but, boy, I think I misjudged him a little bit.

He has seemed so blah lately. Almost like he doesn’t really want to fight.

We need someone with vigor this time. Not just someone with a big mouth, but someone who will credibly and spiritedly promote conservative principles.

If Cruz doesn’t run, I really think we’re going to need to unite behind Rand.

Jindal is a bore. Pence, Walker and Jeb are all for amnesty. Huck can go to hell. And Santorum can join him there.

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Insulting me is not making the case for Ted Cruz. :-(

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

….no – but it makes me FEEL better…….

williamg on November 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM

A glass of milk and cookie will also make you feel better. :-)

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Guns N’ Roses – “Used to Love Her”

I used to love her
But I had to kill her
I used to love her
But I had to kill her
I had to put her
Six feet under
And I can still hear her complain

I used to love her
But I had to kill her
I used to love her
But I had to kill her
I knew I’d miss her
So I had to keep her
She’s buried right in my backyard

I used to love her
But I had to kill her
I used to love her
But I had to kill her
She b!tched so much
She drove me nuts
And now we’re happier this way

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 2:41 AM

… and the shutdown was stupid.

And VA is a MUST WIN STATE for the GOP in 2016.

Punchenko on November 6, 2013 at 2:34 AM

That’s quite the conversation you’re having with yourself…seeing how you already know & understand everything, it makes sense that you’d feel you don’t need my participation! :)

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Harlequin – “Love on the Rocks”

You never learn from your mistakes
I don’t think you’re so special

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 2:53 AM

This “plagiarism” thing seems silly.

Yes, it’s quite shocking that his staff was this careless and lazy. Even high school students (the studious AP class ones, at least) know to give attribution for all material that isn’t original. Always err on the side of more footnotes.

Nevertheless, I don’t think it deserves this amount of coverage. Maddow just pursued the story with the intention of hurting Paul. Paul has a good chance of being the nominee, and that’s what this is about.

Unless and until this story starts regularly appearing on comedy shows and the like (it won’t for very long), most people won’t be influenced at all. Most people out there are so damn ignorant they only know about something if it was on the Kardashians or late night comedy.

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Speaking of high school students, I think we need tougher high school exit exams like they have in Korea.

Let acceptance to universities and jobs only be based on merit. No more affirmative action or being rewarded for “overcoming personal hardships blah blah.”

We need to whip our students into shape. Public schools and bad parents are producing unproductive dolts.

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Race-baiting Obama supporter Terry McMillan declares love for Christie:

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Chris Christie says he’s not concerned that Tea Party people don’t support him:

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Anti-Control on November 6, 2013 at 2:53 AM

You’ve swum out with the sharks!

Murphy9 on November 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Politico: Why Terry McAuliffe barely won

Obamacare almost killed McAuliffe.

Cuccinelli might have won if he had more money.

The gender gap mirrored the presidential.

Obama himself was a mixed bag.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/terry-mcauliffe-virginia-governor-2013-elections-99441.html#ixzz2jrBxyCxy

kcewa on November 6, 2013 at 4:44 AM

I have a request for Mary Katherine Ham. Hey, Mary, you know how you like to do those blog entries with lists of euphemisms for various things?

I think you should do one listing all the euphemisms for MASS ILLEGAL ALIEN AMNESTY and ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

Let me help you get started:

- comprehensive immigration reform
- pathway to citizenship
- undocumented workers
- earned status adjustment
- regularization

Mary, I have been reading this site since long before you joined. I am not happy about the direction of the site with the introduction of several pro-amnesty bloggers.

I have also witnessed you on tv adopt the left-wing euphemisms for amnesty and also signal your approval of amnesty.

I would ask that you put aside your pro-amnesty leanings for a time and ensure that future HotAir hires reflect a wider range of views. Like, maybe we can get an actual conservative in the spirit of the great Michlle Malkin, this site’s founder?

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 4:55 AM

kcewa on November 6, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Yep.

Also, RINO’s were dying to be able to blame the loss on conservatives and the government slowdown , but they didn’t get the Dem blowout they were hoping for.

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 4:58 AM

they didn’t get the Dem blowout they were hoping for.

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 4:58 AM

Exit polls showed McAuliffe only won women by 9 points. The Washington Post poll last week had put McAuliffe ahead among women by an astonishing 24 points.

This is women beginning to move because of Obamacare. In most households women take care of healthcare. Democrats are doomed if a Republican like Cuccinelli can do this well with women.

kcewa on November 6, 2013 at 4:58 AM

kcewa on November 6, 2013 at 5:00 AM

So Cuccinelli did just as well with women as Romney did.

kcewa on November 6, 2013 at 5:01 AM

the lsm got their squirrel…geez….

i hope the gop checks EVERY BLOODY WORD a dem or lsm says from now on….

cmsinaz on November 6, 2013 at 5:19 AM

i hope the gop checks EVERY BLOODY WORD a dem or lsm says from now on….

cmsinaz on November 6, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Doesn’t matter. We have three years of the lazy stupid one and every other Dem on video telling us that we if we liked our plan, we could keep our plan. PERIOD. If we liked our doctor we could keep our doctor. PERIOD.

Well instead of being treated as the lies that they were, the LSM is joining the cover-up and talking about the fine print where those evil insurance companies are really at fault for raising premiums or co-pays invalidating the “grandfathering” that is included in the wonderful Obamacare legisislation. And besides the miniscule number (14M actually) affected end up with “better” insurance as a result.

Truth and lies do not matter anymore. The LSM is no different than the machine created by Joseph Goebbels to propel and maintain political power for the NSDAP. If the lazy stupid one says he hasn’t lied, partisan idiots like your friends on MSDNC are going to constantly affirm and defend that clear lie as the truth.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I’m making this decision based on whether I believe in my heart that I’m ready to be president of the United States and that I want to be president of the United States right now.

Chris Christie
My take: “Chris Christie: “I’m a Conservative.” (And, I’m a 22 Year Old Blonde Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader Named Buffy.)”

kingsjester on November 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Politico: Why Terry McAuliffe barely won

Obamacare almost killed McAuliffe.

Cuccinelli might have won if he had more money.

The gender gap mirrored the presidential.

Obama himself was a mixed bag.

kcewa on November 6, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Politico forgot a big one. The establishment VA GOP was in a snit that their McAuliffe clone selection was rejected. Bolling went as far to refuse to endorse the GOP candidate (VA politics are usually more civil) and appeared at a couple events and assisted in strategy with McAuliffe’s campaign.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 6:50 AM

So Cuccinelli did just as well with women as Romney did.

kcewa

While having to fight the democrats, a third party plant, and members of his own party,

xblade on November 6, 2013 at 6:53 AM

kingsjester on November 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Who knew that to be a conservative all you have to do is yell at unions and promise not to raise taxes! I also know that of all the potential 2016 candidates Christie was the only one that did not travel to VA to help campaign against McAuliffe. Cruz, Paul, and Rubio all made the effort.

Frankly, I don’t care what Christie calls himself, he will not win as a national Republican candidate. His endorsement of Obama on the eve of the election alone is enough for me to NEVER support the fat bastard for any political office including the Trenton Dog Catcher.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Exactly.

kingsjester on November 6, 2013 at 6:57 AM

xblade on November 6, 2013 at 6:53 AM

And while on the subject, let me just say that E.W. Jackson ran a decent campaign. The Bolling wing of the VA GOP was the first to paint Jackson as a flake (despite his service in the Marines, Harvard law education, and ministry). While he was unsuccessful, they Bolling and his minions never got to smear Jackson in the way that they had hoped. Good job E.W. even if the winner refuses to shake your hand.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM

kingsjester on November 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM

excellent KJ

cmsinaz on November 6, 2013 at 7:09 AM

And yet, the President of the United States makes dozens of speeches describing how one can keep their doctors and their current healthcare if his signature achievement is passed, then three years later, says,”Well, no, I din’t say exactly that.”

And from Rachel Maddow and the rest of the Journalism majors……

Crickets.

I want to throw up.

Tenwheeler on November 6, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM

2nd that

cmsinaz on November 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM

It’s my understanding that the Virginia House of Delegates actually picked up 2 more seats. Now 67 Republicans and 33 Democrats. Looks like McAuliffe will remain a puppet Gov.

Rovin on November 6, 2013 at 7:18 AM

cmsinaz on November 6, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

kingsjester on November 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Rovin on November 6, 2013 at 7:18 AM

VA certainly doesn’t follow Maryland into one-party rule. It will be interesting to see how McAuliffe makes good on all his promises to the out-of-state interests that funded his campaign. How he attempts to kill right-to-work. How he attempts to expand Medicaid. How he attempts to legalize sodomite “marriage.” How he attempts to kill Second Amendment rights.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 7:28 AM

They complain about conservatives Primarying liberal republicans when they won;t even support conservatives in the General. You’re SUPPOSED to fight in the Primaries.

Beyond that though this shows that Christie is a political coward.

kcewa on November 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Has anybody seen the results of the North Colorado sucession vote? It is pointless but it would send a message.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Beyond that though this shows that Christie is a political coward.

kcewa on November 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM

The VA GOP will not get one more dime from me until they get their act together. Cuccinelli should not have had to fight against a Dem-funded “libertarian” douchebag, a radical Democrat, and the Bolling wing of the GOP.

Christie will never get my vote. PERIOD!

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Plagiarism is OK for socialists (Biden, anyone?), but must be punished if the perpetrator believes in individual liberty and freedom.

DRayRaven on November 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM

DRayRaven on November 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Plagiarism hasn’t been applied to liberals since the days when Teddy Kennedy was at UVA’s Law School.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM

The VA GOP, the national GOP and Christie abandoned the people of Virginia in hopes that Cuccinelli would lose big and that would punish the Tea Party.

It was a huge and cynical gamble on their part and they lost.

kcewa on November 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Are we talking about Paul or Obama here?

Bitter Clinger on November 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM

It was a huge and cynical gamble on their part and they lost.

kcewa on November 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Agreed. The clearest message out of the results in VA is this. If you are a Dem who voted for Obamacare it is time you brush off the resume and start networking with your pals on K Street.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM

The progressives try to make us believe there are two sets of rules. None for them and what rules they tell you for everyone else. Don’t play that game.

Viator on November 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM

kingsjester on November 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM

…I won’t vote for him…no matter what!

KOOLAID2 on November 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I fell asleep with all the lights on. I posted those comments from my phone earlier when I was half asleep!

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM

…thanks for sharing/

KOOLAID2 on November 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

bluegill on November 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM

You’re so cute when you first wake up. ;-)

Solaratov on November 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM

You’ve swum out with the sharks!

Murphy9 on November 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM