Obama: What we said was, you can keep your plan if it hasn’t changed since ObamaCare was passed

posted at 11:21 am on November 5, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via RCP. I posted the key quote last night in the Greenroom but figured you’d want to hear him say it, as proof that he really is willing to lie this shamelessly even when the entire country knows he’s lying. Reporters are laughing at him today:

Ron Fournier went to the bother of fact-checking “the lie about the lie” while Tapper reminded his Twitter followers that the White House once sneered that alleged “facts” like keeping your plan if you like it are stubborn things. Via NRO, watch below as former Newsweek editor Jon Meacham wonders just how stupid Obama thinks we are. Both Gallup and Reuters have his job approval at 40 percent; I wonder if this won’t finally nudge him into the 30s.

Rich Lowry imagines what an honest speech about ObamaCare might have looked like circa 2009:

But let me be clear again — and Axelrod hates this part [Laughter] — many of you are going to pay more than you did before. Maybe double. Because all of these new regulations cost money. You don’t believe in a free lunch, do you? [Confused murmurs.]

What we’re proposing is to get young, healthy people onto the exchanges so they can subsidize everyone else, by buying coverage they don’t want or need at a price that is higher than before. Why would they do that, you ask? [Faint laughter.] That’s what the individual mandate is all about. We’ve got to force them.

As for the doctor you like, you might not be able to keep him or her, either. [Murmurs.] If you have to change your plan, your doctor may not be in the network. And to try to keep costs down, the networks in the exchanges are really narrow. By the way, top hospitals probably aren’t going to accept a lot of plans from the exchanges, either.

Some of my friends on my side of the aisle try to minimize all this. They say that the bill has a grandfather clause. Wait until you see the regulations we write on that one — there will barely be a grandfather clause left.

In an alternate universe, he gave that speech and ObamaCare got 40 votes in the Senate. In this universe, per Jamie Dupree, the White House website still features stuff like this. No joke:

wh

Here’s the clip. The Big Lie about the Big Lie comes at the beginning, but watch to the end to see how Obama spins the fact that many plans aren’t qualifying for grandfather status. He’s basically equating “better” coverage with more comprehensive coverage irrespective of cost. That’s slightly different from the standard Democratic lie that any plan that fails to qualify under the new regs must be cut-rate crap that’s unfit for American consumers. (See Karl’s post this morning for more on that.) Hard to sell the public on that idea when so many people are telling reporters how much they miss their old plan. So now, rather than disparaging the non-grandfathered stuff, O’s simply saying that the new stuff is superior because it covers more than the old plans did. The fact that the new stuff is also wildly more expensive in some cases seems not to matter to him when calculating whether one plan is “better” than another. You might end up in the poorhouse, but you’ll have gold-plated substance-abuse coverage when you eventually take up drinking to cope. You’re welcome, America.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

So, once a customer of 0′care, will there be mandatory medical visits and tests?

freedomfirst on November 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Paging Dr. Mengele.

JackM on November 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Best tweet of the day – Wounded Warrior riff’s on the President’s ‘like it, keep it’ lie….

Johnny (Joey) Jones @Johnny_Joey

@yesnicksearcy One time I was in AFG, and the Pres was all, “if you like your legs, you can keep them”… Now I’m like, wtf?

Athos on November 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM

freedomfirst on November 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM

If your voter registration card says R, you will only get tests to determine if you are a suitable soylent green resource.

dentarthurdent on November 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM

“Somebody has advised Carney to refrain from acting like a jerk in front of the WH Press Corpse…
d1carter on November 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM”

If Jay Carney had any integrity he would resign. Instead he walks out there nearly every day and defends the lies uttered by Obama.

SC.Charlie on November 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM

These people would load us on trains in a heartbeat.

CurtZHP on November 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Them and which army? The gangster from inner cities?…

mnjg on November 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM

This will should leave a mark…

Maybe pain will teach you millenials not to vote for your own serfdom…

You didn’t listen to us. Maybe you’ll listen to pain.

I have been told that being hard on you Millennials will turn you against conservatism, that I should offer you a positive, hopeful message that avoids the touchy problem of your manifest stupidity.

No. There’s no sugar-coating it – your votes for Democrats have ensured that you are the first generation in American history that will fail to exceed what their parents attained. Embracing liberalism was a stupid thing to do, done for the stupidest of reasons, and I will now let you subsidize my affluent lifestyle without a shred of guilt.

That is the change the millennials brought upon themselves…

…perhaps the best revenge they can take, is by not participating in the ACA (as they appear to be doing). The real decision point for them will come in December when the WH / HHS kicks up the promised ‘marketing’ push targeting the millennials. If they don’t join the exchanges, the argument over reform / repeal of the ACA will end – it will collapse in cost death spiral. Then the question becomes, what next – as the left will insist the only viable solution is single payor.

Athos on November 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Really, Obama said that?

Produce the tapes of that statement, we’ll wait.

Meremortal on November 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I have been hoping it could be overturned short of a ‘civil war.’

But in the end, I believe a civil war to be a lesser evil, than living life under the terms of compliance with the ACA.

listens2glenn on November 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

So you’re adding ACA to your ‘civil war is a lesser evil’ list?
I’d almost think you’re pining…

verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I’d almost think…
verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Don’t overestimate yourself.

kingsjester on November 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Them and which army? The gangster from inner cities?…

mnjg on November 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM

The NPS Stormtroopers.

dentarthurdent on November 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM

verbalunce, you are defending the indefensible. The Obama lied and he will not eat crow as you suggested in your earlier post. Obama is a narcarsitic liar, period. He never admits mistakes. He never takes responsibility.

SC.Charlie on November 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Translation:

If your insurance company actually abides by the new requirements we have mandated and modifies your policy to meet them, you can’t keep it; it has to be dropped.

What a crock.

crosspatch on November 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Correction to my earlier post, Obama never takes responsibility for any failure. He more than happy to take responsibility for any successes ……………. which have been far too few.

SC.Charlie on November 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Yeah, that’s the ticket!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s time to bring John Lovitz out of retirement.

cajunpatriot on November 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM

The NPS Stormtroopers.

dentarthurdent on November 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Who are those f***s? Does it take them 20 bullets to hit the target like inner cities gangsters? And can they go against 100 million armed citizens? I am sure that their chance of victory is 0%…

mnjg on November 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM

SC.Charlie on November 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM

You may have meant “narcissistic”, but then maybe “narcarsitic” is one of those lovely internet concocted words. I’m intrigued. Some cross between narcotic and parasitic, perhaps?

Not bad.

ElectricPhase on November 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Obama said, “if you like your health insurance, you can keep it” at least 29 times. Apparently the teleprompter was broken those 29 times.

fight like a girl on November 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

That’s a major problem that most liars experience sooner or later. They have to begin to tell new lies to cover the old ones and before long they begin contradicting themselves.

Nomas on November 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Well!? So!? He also said he’s good at killing people.
Oh well. One person loosing their health insurance is a tragedy. A million loosing their health insurance is a statistic… wait, has he said that?
Yet?

onomo on November 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Someone needs to put the question to him or his mouthpiece if he should offer to repeal Obamacare for passing it under false pretenses. Do it Ed Henry. The conversation needs to change from idle complaints to getting rid of this albatross.

crrr6 on November 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM

You are way overrating the most incompetent President ever…
mnjg on November 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM

It’s not a matter of over-rating or under-rating — just look at what’s happening. This is our reality. It doesn’t require a “high IQ” to do any of the things he’d doing. It doesn’t take genius or competetence to be destructive. Power (and, in his case, the illusion or mystique of intelligence) is all that’s required. In any case, he’s doing these things. The proof is the rotten pudding we’re living in.

rrpjr on November 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

His legacy, lies about his lies.

StevC on November 5, 2013 at 3:39 PM

President Joe Isuzu

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on November 5, 2013 at 3:41 PM

crrr6 on November 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I vote for Joe Wilson. Shoe/other foot moment.

onomo on November 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM

listens2glenn on November 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

So you’re adding ACA to your ‘civil war is a lesser evil’ list?
I’d almost think you’re pining…

verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

No … you’re the one pining. You’re pining for me to be pining. That way you’d have something to use against me.
There’s a LOT happening right now, as pertains to “sticker shock” on the part of middle class Americans, who were formerely for the ACA.
I haven’t given up believing that it will be nullified without wholesale bloodshed.

As an aside, your memory is apparently better than mine. What else do I have on this “list”? … Abortion? … Second Amendment?

listens2glenn on November 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I’d almost think…
verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Don’t overestimate yourself.

kingsjester on November 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

. . . : )

listens2glenn on November 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

mnjg on November 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Oh, I agree with you on all of that, but given how the NPS stormtroopers acted during the “shutdown”, I have no doubt they would “just follow orders” and do whatever 0bumble tells them to do.

And my guess is most them are lousy shots….

dentarthurdent on November 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM

mnjg on November 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM

In addition to my other post, consider this from over on the 39%Poll thread:

he is not running for reelection .. unless he plans to declare himself ruler for life, which I doubt (for now).
conservative tarheel on November 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

OK – here’s the scary question: What if he did? Would ANYONE in the government actually do anything about it? Would any Dems actually turn against him at that point? Would any Republicans do anything beyond meekly whining “Hey, he can’t do that…”

He has already committed impeachable offenses against this country, in clear violation of the Constitution.
But has anything been done about it? No.

dentarthurdent on November 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM

dentarthurdent on November 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM

The next step is the Repubs getting on-board and working with the Dems to help sort out all the issues and keep this thing moving forward.

verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

As Harry Reid liked to say about funding cancer kids’ care during the shutdown, “Why would we want to do that?”

(The entire quote linked above is hilarious. Reid re Obamacare: “It’s working now, it will continue to work, and people will love it even more than they do now…” As Reid says earlier in the clip: “Wow.”}

de rigueur on November 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Let me be clear…

… No one was more surprised and disappointed when I found out that I was lying to the American people.

We will begin a full investigation into how this happened, take the steps that it doesn’t happen again, and hold those responsible to justice…

… No doubt it will be the fault of some low level staffers, but I assure you, I only found out about my lies when I read them in the paper.

Now I don’t want the folks to worry, I want the American people to know that I have moved on, and they should too…

… Besides, if it wasn’t the fault of the extreme TEA Party radical extremist, holding this country hostage, wanting to destroy everything and holding guns to people’s heads, or something.

Seven Percent Solution on November 5, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Now let me be clear… What, umm, I really meant to say was… that you can keep your plan… and your doctor… and your hospital… and your Constitution and your guns if the Wind keeps blowing from the Southeast and the sky remains perfectly clear. Otherwise, to hell with you, you are now powned by your government. BOOWRAHAHAAAAA.

stuartm80127 on November 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Or…The Teleprompter made me do it after Putin used it.

stuartm80127 on November 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Ok let’s cut through the chase…..

I just need my drugs for my RA.

I don’t need doctors and the BS…..

Anyone know where I can score cheap Enbrel?

redguy on November 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

These people would load us on trains in a heartbeat.

CurtZHP on November 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Unless you don’t like trains. Then the best they can do is say you don’t have any ideas on how to fix the train.

Bmore on November 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM

listens2glenn on November 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Abortion for sure.
And it seems now Second Amendment.
But there’ll be threads another day for those.

verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

verbaluce, verbaluce,verbaluce……..did you enjoy your mid day tune I loaded for you. Lolz!

Bmore on November 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Just for fun, I checked some MSM news sites today to see how they were handling the story about Obama’s big lie. CNN’s website reports that Obama has “tweaked” his promise that Americans could keep their plans. ABC News’ site reports that Obama’s aides have “sought to amend or clarify the pledge.” CBS News’ site just repeats Obama’s excuses and rationalizations (e.g., it’s really the evil insurance companies’ fault you can’t keep your plan) as fact.

Nobody’s even mentioning the other big lie Obama used to sell this POS law to the public — about how the average American’s insurance premiums would decrease by $2,500 a year. (Reports show that the average American’s insurance premiums have increased by over 40%).

Just business as usual in the corruptocracy known as the Obama administration. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

AZCoyote on November 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Anyone know where I can score cheap Enbrel?

redguy on November 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

A friend of mine also takes Enbrel and I think she is getting it at no cost through the manufacturers patient/cost assistance program.
I’m not sure what the guidelines are to qualify, but did you try that?

lynncgb on November 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Can any one think of a health care plan that has not had at least some changes every year of its existence? How about changing the premium, or the deductible, or the allowed drugs, or co-pay. Every plan changes every year.

Dasher on November 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Great article.

gocatholic on November 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Stayed the weekend with my Sister’s family, including a 5 month old nephew.

Was inspired while watching him be fed. If the tyke’s hunger was sated OR he disliked the taste of the food, he’d clamp his jaws shut to avoid added discomfort.

He shot to the top of my list of favorite people!

socalcon on November 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM

15 million = 5,000 9/11s

Resist We Much on November 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I hope someone beheads your lying arse.

F_This on November 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM

listens2glenn on November 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Abortion for sure.
And it seems now Second Amendment.
But there’ll be threads another day for those.

verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

List of three … very good. Guess I’ll add to it, as time goes on.

listens2glenn on November 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM

The GOP is just shouting from the sidelines. They are not doing a single thing aside from that.
And meanwhile…

verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Yep. And that’s what we’ll continue to do.

D’ohbamacare is ALL on the democRATS. It’s yours from start to finish.

Republicans were shut out of any discussions and decisions about the “ACA” and told, “I won”. So be it.

You azzclowns created the problem. You azzclowns fix the problem.

We’ll stay out of your way…while it burns.

Solaratov on November 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I’d almost think…
verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Don’t overestimate yourself.

kingsjester on November 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

No, give him credit, he almost thinks.

itsspideyman on November 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

No, the next step is for Democrats to get on-board and work with Republicans for FULL REPEAL.

67 Senators + 290 Representatives = FULL REPEAL and override of Obama’s veto.

Then, after this monstrosity is laid to rest, Dems can start over and keep Obama’s campaign promise to put all healthcare negotiations on C-SPAN, and see if they can pass a bi-partisan bill.

ITguy on November 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Never has a Ponzi scheme unravelled so publicly and so quickly.

Dhuka on November 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM

It would be delusional to think that somehow something that’s only just started has failed.

verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM

BTW, here’s how we know even you agree. Five hours later:

Don’t forget that Obama was able to move fwd with the ACA by ignoring the demands of the left.

verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM

rogerb on November 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

And meanwhile…

verbaluce on November 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Yep. And that’s what we’ll continue to do.

D’ohbamacare is ALL on the democRATS. It’s yours from start to finish.

You azzclowns created the problem. You azzclowns fix the problem.

We’ll stay out of your way…while it burns.

Solaratov on November 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I think John Boehner said the other day, that they would just step aside and let the Democrats implode on their own. No need to help them.

Dasher on November 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM