Pelosi: It’s fine, the people receiving these insurance cancellations “will do better”

posted at 5:21 pm on November 4, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Overlooking for a moment the Democrats’ mounting near-dismissals of the mere “five percent of Americans” in the individual market who are liable to be forced off of their current plans (never mind that still more insurance cancellations were reported over the weekend, and hey, what’s a few million people here and there, really?), they continually insist that these individuals are going to be some variation of “better off” with the particular and more comprehensive plans that the government is deciding that they need, and that some people will be eligible for subsidies to help make up for the extra expense. Oddly absent from these talking points are all of the regular, middle-class Americans who don’t actually want to be shuffled into these more expensive plans, because it often means they will be paying significantly higher costs for “benefits” they’re unlikely to use.

They’re saying he said one thing and not the other. The president said, “If you like your plan, you can keep it.” For 95 percent of the American people who have health insurance, that is the case. For a small number in the private market, they will do better because of the Patient’s Bill of Rights that is built into our legislation — no preexisting conditions, no lifetime limits, no copay, all the rest of that for certain people. So, they will do better. That’s 95 percent of people who have health insurance, have it through their employer, through Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans Administration. So, we’re just talking about 5 percent — significant, but nonetheless largely will do better.

So, even if you aren’t financially “better off,” the presumption there is that most people will at least be “better of” in terms of health care coverage. …Except, you know, if you aren’t. This WSJ piece from Edie Littlefield Sundby, a cancer patient still in the throes of fighting for her life, is a sobering and worthwhile read on that score:

Everyone now is clamoring about Affordable Care Act winners and losers. I am one of the losers. …

My choice is to get coverage through the government health exchange and lose access to my cancer doctors, or pay much more for insurance outside the exchange (the quotes average 40% to 50% more) for the privilege of starting over with an unfamiliar insurance company and impaired benefits.

What happened to the president’s promise, “You can keep your health plan”? Or to the promise that “You can keep your doctor”? Thanks to the law, I have been forced to give up a world-class health plan. The exchange would force me to give up a world-class physician.

Comments

She’s right on the edge…

d1carter on November 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Nancy Pelosi hates your guts. She couldn’t be bothered with your suffering Americans. She just wants her piece of the power pie where she can fatten her own larder and her donors larders.

KEEP VOTING DEMOCRAT REPROBATES!

Murphy9 on November 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

How arrogant this woman is.

Blake on November 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

What’s her argument going to be next year, when 100 million on employer plans have to go through this same mess? That’s the question that shoud be asked, NOW.

paul1149 on November 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

do you feel better off America? Well do you…

ted c on November 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

This seems to be the argument now. The liberal pukes on my facebook page have been dead quiet since the debacle started, but they seem to have gottn the memo, this is what they are saying now. I told them to tell that to the terminal cancer patient who lost their insurance. No reply on that one, yet.

Jack_Burton on November 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

So much higher premiums, much higher deductibles, and coverage for stuff that people don’t need or want (e.g., maternity care for men and post-menopausal women, drug and alcohol treatment for people who don’t drink or use drugs, etc.) = “better”?

On what planet? Bizzaro-world?

AZCoyote on November 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

This is why tar and feathering was practiced. Sometimes there is no alternative.

Oil Can on November 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

How arrogant this woman is.

Blake on November 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

So true.

Reality is a concept that she has absolutely no clue about.

Athos on November 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Cucking funt

Rio Linda Refugee on November 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

5% is now insignificant? But wasn’t this whole debacle designed to “save” the 5-7% of Americans without health insurance?

LASue on November 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

paul1149 on November 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Dim politicians must be wetting themselves over this. Sure, they can argue now that it’s just a few million people in the individual health insurance market who are getting screwed, but what happens when the employer mandate kicks in — and tens of millions of people are getting dumped off their low-cost (to them) employer-provided coverage and into these horrible exchanges?

Even if the website is working by then (a big “if” given the incompetence we’ve seen so far), the problem with the high prices and big deductibles is still going to exist — and it’s going to seriously p*ss off a lot of voters.

AZCoyote on November 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

And why would anyone now believe the 5% figure? Why?

pat on November 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I really think that America should be hauled before the UN Court of Human Rights for allowing such a raving lunatic to roam free!

OldEnglish on November 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

My sister just received a cancellation notice. Her $386 a month policy is going to $1,488 a month with a 10k deductible. It includes maternity care (she’s 56), substance abuse (not one of her issues), and mental health coverage (same). And she can’t opt out.

So, to respond to dumber-than-a-box-of-hammers Pelosi, NO SHE’S NOT DOING BETTER!

Erich66 on November 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

This is the same woman who said we needed to pass Obamacare to see what’s in it. Now she tells us we need to lose our health insurance to get “better” health insurance.

Earth to San Fran Nan: We DON’T LIKE what’s in it!!!

Steve Z on November 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Look up the term “stupid” in the dictionary and you will find this women’s picture!

fbcmusicman on November 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on November 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Please do not disparage funts!

OldEnglish on November 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Got it. 5% of Americans (soon to be far more) forced out of their healthcare plans and facing far worse coverage at a much higher cost is no biggie, but a 5% cut in food stamps will bring about mass starvation and the end of civilization.

Borgcube on November 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I hope SF Nan rots in hell.

As a cancer survivor myself, I made a decision to undergo two year maintenance therapy in 2010 because I knew enough about the POS’s law that I doubted I would be given the opportunity to improve my odds of beating the disease once this monstrosity went into effect.

I’m just hoping the extra 12 treatments put me in decades-long remission if not a complete cure.

FTR, I paid into all federal programs for decades and also had a private Disability Policy with Prudential but don’t get me started about that scam. Less than a year into my recovery I was notified I had to apply for SS DB or they would assume it had been granted and would deduct what they figured my payment would be from my monthly check.

If I had had the energy and stamina I would have fought them but it’s hard to do much from a chemo-infusion chair.

wyntre9 on November 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Another lie…

22044 on November 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

TIME for a CHANGE of LIES.

mobydutch on November 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

After a long trainride through the countryside, you really need a shower. We know best….

Now get in line.

wolly4321 on November 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Pelosi is a rancid pile of putrid goat dung with a vile hatred for all hard working’ conservative, God fearing Americans.

rplat on November 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM

She’s stupid and evil. Bad combination.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Borgcube on November 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Curious how that works, isn’t it? It’s perfectly okay to screw over a few million people working and buying their own health insurance in the individual market, but it’s a moral outrage to even suggest trimming a multi-billion-dollar food stamp program that is rampant with fraud and abuse.

AZCoyote on November 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Please do not disparage funts!

OldEnglish on November 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Just the cuckers

Rio Linda Refugee on November 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Only 5%. How many of those 5% have family and friends who will be influenced by their experience?

This is not going to end well for the Marxists.

Charlemagne on November 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM

“Hey, who cares if we lie 5% of the time”…

hillsoftx on November 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM

LASue on November 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Demographic significance is inversely proportional to skin color. /s

BTW, I’ve been posting that same teeny tiny point everywhere I visit.

So the 15-30 million Americans WITHOUT health insurance which the law was ostensibly passed to address is a national emergency but 10-19 million Americans LOSING insurance because of the same law is insignificant.

Like I said, depends on your melatonin levels.

wyntre9 on November 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Coverage.

Bmore on November 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

1800 F1UCKYOu Pelosi!

islandman78 on November 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

wyntre9 on November 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Maths is haaaarrrrrd….

dentarthurdent on November 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

paul1149 on November 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

“Damn Republicans.”

Midas on November 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM

The birdbrain of Alcatraz.

merlich on November 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM

“Do better”
Ya, right.
So, hows about we require that ALL cars sold in this country include child safety seats, extra large extended seat belts, braille control labels, and handicap entry ramps.
That way EVERYONE gets a better car…..

dentarthurdent on November 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Unfortunately, the Marxists don’t care, and many Americans can read and see the proof in black and white and are too dang ignorant to get it.

mobydutch on November 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Oil Can on November 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I hate to break it to you but this is a woman who voluntarily submitted to injections of the most toxic substance known to mankind into her face for cosmetic purposes. She won’t be phased by a little petroleum and some discarded chicken byproducts.

However, if you want to drop her into a vat of freshly mixed bituminous concrete and leave her there, I would be completely on board with that.

I would go further but I know the NSA is reading and I have some important appointments later in the week.

turfmann on November 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

To paraphrase Stalin:

One uninsured person is a tragedy; many millions of newly uninsured people is a statistic.

Resist We Much on November 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

It may just turn out that this is the most mismanaged, bungled piece of legislation ever to have been passed in the nation’s entire history. This was written when it remained to be seen how bad this bill is, but now there seems to be no question…

scalleywag on November 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

This 5% of the people is hogwash. I have employer based healthcare provided through The Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce Blue Cross & Blue Shield group plan and I love it! We got our letter stating that it will no longer be available!

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) _ The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce will no longer provide a health insurance offering that 1,400 companies in the state have been using.

The chamber said Friday that the companies are going to have to look elsewhere for coverage because its group plan does not meet the requirements of the federal health overhaul law.

Chamber President Roy Williams told The Oklahoman that having to end the program is “very, very unsettling.”

Williams said the participating companies on Friday were being presented offerings by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma that will include 26 plan options. Companies that sign up by December 1st will be covered through December 2014.

fbcmusicman on November 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Rep Nancy Pelosi

HEY NANCY ! ….. why don’t you conduct a ‘town hall meeting’ tour across this great country, and tell the people face to face.

listens2glenn on November 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

dentarthurdent on November 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Not without both auto and manual transmission! (mustn’t discriminate).

OldEnglish on November 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Sorry Nancy – not all of us are millionaires like you…..

We will not do better.

redguy on November 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Fast forward three months—–” I never said that!”

rjoco1 on November 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Oops! The National Chamber of Commerce probably won’t extend much sympathy as they are too busy pushing and lobbying for amnesty which should be the icing on the cake for a country that is changing by the day.

mobydutch on November 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM

It’s only the little people who are getting hurt by ObamaCare…Nanzi.

d1carter on November 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Old & Busted:

‘Under the health care law, EVERYBODY WILL HAVE LOWER RATES’, better quality care and better access.’

- Nancy Pelosi, ‘Meet the Press’, 1 July 2012

New Hotness:

‘No matter what people say about whether they like their plan or not, their plan was not going to be their plan. EVERYBODY’s PREMIUMS WERE GOING UP.’

- Nancy Pelosi, The Hill, 30 October 2013

Resist We Much on November 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Ok this is O/T but too good not to pass on. I just got a political call from some Democrat PAC asking if I was going to vote for McAuliffe tomorrow. Some 20 something semi-literate school kid. He MISPRONOUNCED McAuliffe’s name! And before you ask, NO he did not have a foreign accent. He just didn’t know how to pronounce the name. I stopped him and corrected his pronunciation and made him repeat it back to me several times. I was laughing the whole time. He seemed rather disappointed when I told him I wouldn’t vote for McAuliffe if his was the only name on the ballot.

Oldnuke on November 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM

fbcmusicman on November 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Sure, but you had to be kicked off that awful Blue Cross policy, because Blue Cross is one of those “bad apples” that has been selling people those horrible, substandard plans in the individual market.

Now you’re liberated to go and purchase a much more expensive policy from Blue Cross on the exchange, with a bunch of coverages for stuff you don’t want or need.

And BTW, because they’re now charging you more for a policy that provides you with less, Blue Cross is not a “bad apple” anymore!

You should be thanking Barry.

AZCoyote on November 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM

It always amazes me when my Dem-voting family members tell me they “can’t stand” Pelosi and in the next breath they gush over Obama. They’re exactly the same! They advocate for the exact same policies and spew the exact same talking points.

visions on November 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Looks like lying is no longer a sin. Maybe I should put that in a more PC phrase—looks like lying is no longer tabu.

mobydutch on November 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

visions on November 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

But 0bumble is clean and articulate and has a really nice crease in his pants….

dentarthurdent on November 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM

interesting that the number of people kicked off their insurance plans is fast approaching the number obama wants to force onto obamacare to keep premiums somewhere in line…think there’s a connection? central planning at its most manipulative and malicious.

gracie on November 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Dementia?

diogenes on November 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Her comment that if you get your insurance through your employer you aren’t affected is just another lefty lie. My monthly payment went up, my co-pay doubled, my deductible almost tripled. Unaffected, thanks Obama!

Kjeil on November 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Dementia?

diogenes on November 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

No, just deception.

ITguy on November 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM

How Many Health Plans Are Classified As “Substandard” Under Obamacare? 98 Percent…

Even people with so-called “Cadillac” plans are getting cancellation notices because their coverage doesn’t meet Obamacare’s standards.

Via American Commitment:

. . . Millions of Americans are being told their plans are “lousy” or “crummy” because they are indeed, in a hyper-literal sense of the word, “substandard.”

Meaning they fail to meet the new standard for so-called Essential Health Benefits required of all plans in the individual and small-group markets when they lose grandfather status. This is the “standard,” in brief [seen above]:

This “standard” excluded nearly every plan in the individual market.

According to HealthPocket: “The data shows that there will be a near complete transformation of the individual and family health insurance market starting in 2014. Less than 2% of the existing health plans in the individual market today provide all the Essential Health Benefits required under the Affordable Care Act (ACA).”

Even the best of the best plans are being canceled in the individual market. Bob Laszewski, a top industry analyst, described his cancelation:

“I have been in this business for 40 years. I know junk health insurance when I see it and I know ‘Cadillac’ health insurance when I see it. Right now I have ‘Cadillac’ health insurance… The new plan would have a deductible $500 higher than the one I now have and a lot more if I go “out-of-network” inside the rest of the Blue Cross national network… And, wait all you people telling me rate shock does not exist, the new far more restricted plan costs 66% more than our current monthly premium.”

Resist We Much on November 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Oldnuke on November 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I’ve met your sort before – every time I look in the mirror! :)

OldEnglish on November 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM

It’s fine, the people receiving these insurance cancellations “will do better”

The crux of the matter. Filthy Dems like Pelosi and the lazy stupid one think that the state knows more about what is “better” for the individual. Yeah, 19 Million may be kicked off their insurance with no way to enroll through the exchanges but they’re better off because 80-year-olds will now be covered for an unexpected pregnancy, 27-year-old males will have their PAP smears covered, and Mormons will be able to enter treatment for alcohol abuse. The only ones better off are the uninsured jobless vermin that are the core of the DEM base.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Pelosi to the American people: I shall taunt you a second time.

neyney on November 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM

The Republican Party is missing a huge opportunity by not having recruited a candidate to run against Nancy Pelosi, yet.

Our country needs a candidate who can consistently remind the American people of the stupid things Nancy Pelosi has said about the Obamacare fiasco, among many other issues.

In the 2010 election reminding people why they didn’t want Nancy Pelosi to become the Speaker of the House again, helped Republican candidates across the country to win their elections and a Republican majority in the House of Representatives.

Realistically, a Republican candidate is highly unlikely to defeat Nancy Pelosi in her liberal San Francisco Congressional District, but the Republican candidate could be highly effective at keeping the heat on Nancy Pelosi and other Democrat candidates in the rest of the country.

Due to California’s “Top Two” Primary system, the window of opportunity for a Republican candidate to be the official spokesperson against Nancy Pelosi is rapidly closing.

If a Republican candidate does not win enough votes to place at least 2nd in San Francisco’s June 3, 2014 Primary, then Nancy Pelosi and the Democrat campaigns she helps to fund will get a free pass during the election season leading up to the November 2014 election.

That means there may only be 7 months left for a Republican candidate to speak out against Nancy Pelosi.

If you have any connections with Republican Party “leaders,” please ask them who is running against Nancy Pelosi as a Republican candidate.

wren on November 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM

If they really want me to enroll in barkycare,, her and jay carney can stand in front of me,, sans security, and tell me I have to.

wolly4321 on November 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Pelosi to the American people: I shall taunt you a second time.

neyney on November 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I fart in her general direction.

ITguy on November 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Madame, that is not insurance you are describing. It is welfare paid for with steep costs by the middle class, the privately insured, and the small-business owners who are the producers in our economic system.

onlineanalyst on November 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM

listens2glenn on November 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Good idea listens2glenn, but there is no way Nancy Pelosi will ever agree to do a Town Hall Meeting Tour.

Nancy Pelosi doesn’t even host Town Hall Meetings in her own San Francisco Congressional District.

Nancy Pelosi stopped hosting Town Hall Meetings in San Francisco after this Town Hall Meeting in 2006:

But when Democratic minority leader Nancy Pelosi came home to hold a town hall meeting in San Francisco on Saturday, she was greeted like a pro-establishment warmonger.

Dozens of heckling, sign-toting anti-war protesters tried to take center stage at the congresswomen’s town hall forum on national security — calling for an immediate de-funding of the Iraq war and impeachment proceedings against President George Bush.

wren on November 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM

visions on November 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Your family members are typical LIVs. It is all about feelings. They don’t notice either’s policy positions. They feel good about Obama and not so much about Pelosi.

This is also the heart of the cult of Killary. She’s a bitter vile woman with no discernible skills but rabid feminists like her so it is all good.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Not better off. Poorer.

txhsmom on November 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM

So, we’re just talking about 5 percent

Yeah, Nancy-poo. RIGHT NOW.

GarandFan on November 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM

San Fran Nan… a player in a Game of Crones.

ajacksonian on November 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Better???

How is it better that I, at 53, mind you, am going to be forced to pay for maternity care, abortion, and birth control??? I find myself wondering if I have to pay for vasectomy coverage as well, even though I do not have the appropriate plumbing…

And as for that mental health issues, drug rehab, etc, care I’m also stuck with, even if I had those problems, I wouldn’t be stupid enough to use them. Not with the info available to all and sundry. There’s already stories about people losing there firearms with this sh!!te on record. Even if it’s not the gun owners themselves that have sought care for depression, etc., but their spouses and kids.

I’m opting out of this crap sandwich. I don’t see a doctor enough to justify their ridiculous deductibles anyway.

Gods above and below, but I detest that broad.

sage0925 on November 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Yeah, like layoffs are great since those affected will be able to get better jobs.

gregbert on November 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Pelosi: For a small number in the private market, they will do better

I’ve compared the summary of benefits for my current -soon to be cancelled- policy and the new policy that’s being offered as a replacement.

Beats me where the “better” part is.

lynncgb on November 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM

If you were really “better off” with Obamacare, the politicians would not have exempted themselves (and their connected friends) from it.

The benefit that many employers who are politically connected friends of Nancy have gotten is to be exempted from the provisions of Obamacare.

If you’re one of her special friends, you get to be out of the system.

If you’re not one of her special friends, you have to be in it – which is the opposite of what she and her friends think is a real benefit.

And to add insult to injury, then she says you will be “better off”.

David Blue on November 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

It’s truly amazing that everyone wasn’t dying in the streets with all those substandard insurance policies everyone had before Obamacare. It’s a miracle we survived as a nation at all.

/sarc

xblade on November 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Frankly, I think the people of the 12th District in San Francisco should have their voting privileges revoked so as to prevent them from re-electing this vile piece of scum for another term in office!

pilamaye on November 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

The lies that this witch will tell to regain the gavel.

blammm on November 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM

When do we repeal the Congressional/government employee rebates that force all of us to pay an unfair share ObamacareTax for those in the magical Clerk Class who are financially unqualified -under their own much-trumpeted Settled Law- for such gold-plated welfare checks?

They make it easier for themselves while screwing millions.

Swine with expandable troughs.

profitsbeard on November 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM

My Neighbor is doing great… I’m sure he wants to thank you Nancy..

His old premium was 56 dollars a month… now it looks like 350+

Bwahahahahahaha

His old deductible was 5000…. now it looks like 6500

I don’t think he needs any more of your help…

roflmmfao

donabernathy on November 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

The bite back against this “5%” nonsense has to be fast, loud and hard or they’re going to win the messaging war. AGAIN.

The Schaef on November 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM

In an honorable society those Libs who voted for this would be pulling the short sword out for a little sepuku. ‘Course, in an honorable society, they’d be no such thing as a Lib in the first place.

CaptFlood on November 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM