Election eve in the Old Dominion

posted at 1:21 pm on November 4, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

With t-minus one day to go until Virginians starting hitting the voting booth, both Terry McAuliffe and Ken Cuccinelli were out in full force with their top-tier surrogates over the weekend, and Quinnipiac’s latest poll of the past few days showcase a race that doesn’t seem to have tightened quite as much as Republicans might have been hoping. Via CNN:

A new poll indicates Democrat Terry McAuliffe maintains his advantage over Republican Ken Cuccinelli, one day before the two candidates square off on Election Day in Virginia’s gubernatorial race.
According to the Quinnipiac University survey, McAuliffe leads Cuccinelli among likely voters, 46%-40%. Libertarian candidate Robert Sarvis has support among 8% of likely voters. …
The latest poll was conducted from October 29 through November 3, a window of time that included high profile campaign stops by former President Bill Clinton and President Barack Obama for McAuliffe. …
The new poll also indicates five percent of likely voters are undecided, while five percent say they may change their mind by Tuesday.

It’s a wider advantage than their previous poll from the early part of last week that showed a tighter split with McAuliffe leading by only four points, which might not be a surprise given that President Obama took to the trail on Sunday to do what he does best:

“Extremism,” and ergo, the government shutdown and its economic impact on [northern] Virginians specifically, was a big theme there, and Biden was off to a similar start this morning, disparaging Cuccinelli as an oh-so-extremist, anti-progress tea partier, while Cuccinelli is working the rally scene with Ron Paul and Marco Rubio in tow:

This particular Virginia race, a bellwether for next year’s midterm races all over the country? …Questionable, but at least one aspect that could definitely have some prescriptive powers here is the GOP’s strategy for winning over Hispanic votes. North Virginia especially has a lot of diverse votes for the taking, and McAuliffe is steadily leading with both women and minorities in pretty much every poll; Ed had a great interview with Daniel Garza of the Libre Initiative recently for more on that front:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Go Cooch!

freedomfirst on November 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I’ve already mailed 6 absentee ballots, and plan to hit no less than 4 voting booths tomorrow.

Vote Early, Vote Often.

BobMbx on November 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Forget Hispanics. The problem GOP candidates face is the “War on Women”. Whether it’s true or not no longer matters. The Dems have hammered that message to perfection. Until GOPers come up with a real answer to that tactic, they’re going to keep losing in swing states.

Chris of Rights on November 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM

The true racists are the leftists.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

For weeks, I answered the phone and would tell them about my intent to vote for Anderson, Obenshain, and Cuccinelli. Then, I started to simply pick up the phone, state “I’m voting for Anderson”, then hang up.

Now, I do what my wife suggested. Tell them I’m voting party line, then hang up without saying which party! Makes me giggle.

freedomfirst on November 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Mr. Romney would think that Ken Cuccinelli is being “harsh” and needs to “tone down the rhetoric” too.

President Barack Obama cast Republican Ken Cuccinelli on Sunday as part of an extreme Tea Party faction that shut down the government, throwing the political weight of the White House behind Democrat Terry McAuliffe in the final days of a bitter race for governor.

“Nothing makes me more nervous than when my supporters start feeling too confident,” Obama said during the rally. “So I want to put the fear of God in all of you.”

Seeking an upset, Cuccinelli cast this week’s Virginia gubernatorial election as a referendum on Obama’s troubled national health care law.

National issues that have divided Democrats and Republicans spilled into the race and colored the final hours of campaigning ahead of Tuesday’s vote. As one of just two gubernatorial races in the nation, the results of Tuesday’s elections could hold clues about voter attitudes and both parties’ messages heading into the 2014 midterm elections.

Obama tore into Cuccinelli as an ideologue unwilling to compromise, while Cuccinelli was telling his supporters that Tuesday’s election will be a test for the health care law and McAuliffe’s support for it.

Mitt freaking Romney…..Making Bob Dole look like a Champ since 2012.

PappyD61 on November 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Romney is an eternal azzhole.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

This may be a battle lost, but the war continues nevertheless.

It ain’t over ’til it’s over, as well.

22044 on November 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

So, after electing inexperienced empty suit Leftist twice at the national level, we’re about to do the same thing at the state level. Ugh. I’m voting for Cuccinelli and company tomorrow, but I have a feeling we’re looking at a long 4 years come January.

changer1701 on November 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

No mention of Northam’s refusal to shake hands with his black challenger? There are races downstream of the Governor matchup.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Clinton / McAuliffe 2016

Let that sink in.

PappyD61 on November 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Support freedom – it’s all on topic any more.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Even though McAuliffe would and probably will be a disaster, I cannot vote for Cuccinelli. I have had enough of voting for ridiculous social conservatives. They always disappoint and always end up being statists.

changer1701 on November 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Same here. I’m voting for Cuccinelli but fear that we’ll be closer to Maryland than ever (and I’m not talking geography).
On the hopeful side, it seems as if there is little real enthusiasm for McAwful which may curb the number of illegals and stupid women that show up to vote for the bastard.

If McAuliffe wins, I hope that libertarian douchebag gets driven out of the state.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Count me in on this vote! Sure am happy for the extra hour of sleep in time recently… I will have NO PROBLEM getting to the poles in the early A.M.

bbordwell on November 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM

changer1701 on November 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Quite possibly, but some comfort can be at least taken if the race is close. If a weak campaigner and unpopular candidate like Cuccinelli can come that close to winning with the deck stacked against him, it’s going to spook the Democrats quite a bit.

Doomberg on November 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Let me guess, you’re going to vote for the libertarian douchebag even though he has no chance of winning. Why don’t you just vote for McAuliffe you greedy stupid weasel.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Goodness. There needs to be a residency requirement to vote in VA. I believe we have a lot of newbie liberal voters who like the perks of a conservative state and will do what they can to make it theirs. Perhaps VA is next in line for the left’s Domino Theory approach.

freedomfirst on November 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM

They are trying to tie Cuccinelli as solely a TEA party candidate and of course the TEA party being evil in their eyes.

Cuccinelli is in because of the way the good ‘ol boy republicans have run things in Va the past few elections and were ready to push in their next groomed repub. McDonald having been a bust as no promises kept – raising taxes so much he brags about a huge revenue surplus took people to the point of sayilng no.

TerryW on November 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM

obama’care’ and obama stink so much that he doesn’t even mention his masterpiece in VA.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

freedomfirst on November 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM

VA’s no longer a conservative state thanks to the commie carpetbaggers who have infested Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax County.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Says the devil himself.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Sarvis is not a libertarian, by the way.

22044 on November 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM

TerryW on November 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Yeah, Bolling was the establishment choice but he was not the choice among VA Republicans. Bolling even went to work for McAuliffe he was so mad that his pre-ordained nomination went awry.

Jackson’s nomination was even more of a shocker but, IMO, he has run a very good campaign (for whatever merit there is in running for Lt. Gov). They tried to paint him as a radical right-wing nutjob but that never stuck. Northam should be proud to shake his hand instead of cringing in horror that a black man would try to touch him.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Sarvis is not a libertarian, by the way.

22044 on November 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM

All I want to know is how much it cost McAuliffe to keep this douchebag in the race.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Because I am done with the lesser of two evils nonsense. I am done voting for people like John McCain and Romney. If that is the best that republicans have to offer, then I guess I am done voting republican even though I have never voted for a different party in my life. Id rather vote for a person I know cannot win to send a message, than to vote for someone I don’t even really want to win just because he has a chance.

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I wonder how many Obamacare cancellation notices have been sent out in VA???…

PatriotRider on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Seriously? I have zero sympathy for anyone in Virginia who either sits this one out or votes for McAwful.

Doughboy on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Go get ‘em bobmbx!

cmsinaz on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Doughboy on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Good, because I wont be doing either of those two things.

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Meanwhile over at YAHOO NEWS…

The narrative is written for Tuesday night after the polls close in New Jersey and Virginia.

You nominate an “extremist” Tea Party nut job and you lose or you nominate a Progressive Democrat cloaked as a “REPUBLICAN” you win.

Chris Christie Is About To Win In A Landslide, And He Wants Every Republican To Understand Why

As Gov. Chris Christie (R) prepares to romp to a landslide re-election in New Jersey on Tuesday, he has a message for Republicans everywhere: There’s no need to limit yourself to 53% if you stop despairing and follow my lead.

On Sunday evening, here’s what Christie told Morris County voters, at a rally held by the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance:

We need to show the Republican party in America that we can win again. And guess where they’re going to be watching on Tuesday night to see if we win: right here in New Jersey.

Christie was too polite to say this, but Republicans will actually be watching two states on Tuesday: New Jersey, where Christie will win in a landslide, and Virginia, where Republican nominee Ken Cuccinelli will lose badly.

Unlike Christie, Cuccinelli is a favorite of conservatives who love ideological purity and hate compromise. You could hardly come up with a better test case for Christie’s compromise-or-die message.

But despair is one of the few things that unites today’s fractured GOP. Republicans much more conservative than Romney share his basic diagnosis from the 47% speech. It’s an open question whether the juxtaposition of Christie’s landslide and Cuccinelli’s burial will be enough to convince Republicans that broad popularity is possible and worth compromising for.

Christie has been making that case explicitly, telling voters they need to stop expecting so much purity and look for politicians who will make compromises to move the country forward.

There you have it. Morning Joe has it’s talking points.

PappyD61 on November 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I wonder how many Obamacare cancellation notices have been sent out in VA???…

PatriotRider on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Id guess a lot. I got one. My plan is ending, but luckily Anthem is allowing me to extend it for a year so I don’t have to mess with the exchanges until August 2014.

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Yepper pappy

cmsinaz on November 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Um… you do realize that Sarvis isn’t all that “Libertarian?” Need examples?

As governor, Sarvis is open to expanding Virginia’s Medicaid program and he expressed enthusiasm for increasing gas levies, and for establishing a “vehicle-miles-driven tax.” (this would involve GPS boxes in cars, no?)

lucyvanpelt on November 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

To Cuccinelli’s credit, he was the first AG in the nation to challenge 0′care and fought against the notion of man-caused climate change.

freedomfirst on November 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

NoVA is no longer VA, it’s DC. Mortgage payments and expensive restaurant checks are funded by the big-government gravy train and they’ll take their marching orders from whoever promises the most baksheesh.

JEM on November 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Sarvis should throw his support in with Cuccinelli. To all Dear Ladies of Va. Please do not get snookered again by the misogynist swine know as Democrats. McAuliffe is no good for you. Please Va. stay modestly red.

Bmore on November 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Well, that’s true, and one can hope that if they feel this race is in the bag they won’t bother showing up, providing a possible opening for Cuccinelli. Of course, who knows how much the Dems will pay them to show up, or how many of the dead will be voting McAuliffe…

As for Sarvis, he’s not a libertarian and is basically a stalking horse for McAuliffe. You can tell that by the one ad I see from him, where he pokes at Cooch’s “narrow minded social agenda” and says he wants a VA that’s welcome to all, yet has little to say at all about McAuliffe, noting only his crony capitalism (which Sarvis knows people won’t know or care about).

Oh well. We’ll get what we vote for, just as we’ve seen in DC.

changer1701 on November 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

lucyvanpelt on November 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Still a far better candidate than Cucinelli.

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

PappyD61 on November 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Christie is an arrogant dolt if he thinks what a win in NJ means his show will play in Peoria.

INC on November 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Bob McDonnell won Fairfax and Prince William counties in 2009. Cuccinelli’s going to lose both of them. And that will be the difference. Neither has changed much in terms of demographics since 2009.

rockmom on November 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Really? Gotta link?

lucyvanpelt on November 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Doughboy on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Don’t have any sympathy for VA either way. It’s a blue state.

If McAuliffe comes in and screws up VA that’s just better for states like TX.

In fact, with McAuliffe’s “business” track record I wouldn’t be surprised to see Richmond accelerated on the Detroit program.

tetriskid on November 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

NoVA is no longer VA, it’s DC. …

JEM on November 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

You are correct. I moved to what I grew up knowing as the sticks, only to learn that this area was subsumed by DC.

I will be moving about 30-50 miles south. It may not be enough. I’d like to cut bait and run to some western state if it weren’t for putting my family at risk.

freedomfirst on November 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I’m afraid there will be more Republican governors in trouble in the next election. I voted for Governor Deal here in Georgia and he hasn’t done much of anything except try to help the Democratic Mayor of Atlanta.

moonsbreath on November 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I moved to Richmond a year ago. A red implant, if you will. I have not heard a single family member, friend, coworker, or acquaintance mention voting, or even the election in general. Based on my observations, this is truly an election hinging on base turnout (moreso than any other off-cycle election I can recall).

Who is more motivated?

mkbruin on November 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Bmore on November 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

A man is judged by his actions. That Terry McAuliffe left the hospital with his newborn and wife and stopped by a DNC fundraiser on the way home says all that needs to be said about his character.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

They always disappoint and always end up being statists.

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

News flash for you: McAwful is a statist of the Clintoon variety… so, you may be getting a statist anyway, unless you vote for Cuccinelli. Why don’t you let that sink in overnight and then reconsider your opinion?

ExpressoBold on November 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Don’t have any sympathy for VA either way. It’s a blue state.

If McAuliffe comes in and screws up VA that’s just better for states like TX.

tetriskid on November 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

The problem is that Virginia going blue will have ramifications for all future Presidential elections. I’m proud to live in Texas where we seem to use our brains most of the time when we vote, but it won’t mean much if in the end the damn federal government is being run by Marxists and radical progressives who shove legislation like Obamacare down our throats while spending us into oblivion.

Doughboy on November 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Any conservative that isn’t gonna vote for Cuccineli tomorrow is a frigging moron. Period. End of story.

Jack_Burton on November 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

freedomfirst on November 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

And this should be reason enough for conservatives and libertarians.

lucyvanpelt on November 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

You’re not fooling anyone with your social conservative = statist talk. Except maybe yourself. Just vote for the liberal candidate so you can be cool like your friends.

kcewa on November 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Who is more motivated?

mkbruin on November 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

VA’s elections tend to be low-key affairs. Incumbents generally get re-elected so there is not a whole lot of heat generated. That being said, I don’t believe the polls capture the reality- even here in Northern Virginia. It really is going to come down to motivation among the base constituencies. On that score, I suspect that Cuccinelli has the edge because his own base hates McAuliffe and McAuliffe’s base really doesn’t like their candidate.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

You can be conservative, but appear to be “conciliatory”.

That’s the trick, we have to do what the liberals do, they run to the center/right to win the election, than scramble back left after.

We have to run to the middle or left, than run back after the election.

Forget this “ideological” flag waving, no one wants to vote for one single ideology (minorities exempted on that theory).

right2bright on November 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Who is more motivated?

mkbruin on November 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Unions…and the dems are just more organized at getting out the vote, witness the last election.

right2bright on November 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Any conservative VIRGINIAN that isn’t gonna vote for Cuccineli tomorrow is a frigging moron. Period. End of story.

Jack_Burton on November 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

FIFY. The Old Dominion doesn’t need some Yankee carpetbagger scum from Syracuse running the show in Richmond.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Then cast your vote as you see fit. However, McAuliffe is a better match for you, IMO.

lucyvanpelt on November 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

While I think Cuccinelli has been hit with some terrible ad that lo info voters are all to willing to buy, what is it that you think he is going to do even if he does hold social conservative views? There isn’t much in the way of those things that he could change as governor that he could impose his views while McAwful can easily rob you blind. If I still lived in VA, this is not where or when I’d be making my moral stand.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

And this is how Republican’s lose elections, because everyone has a “litmus” test for their candidate.

Dems don’t have that, they get it…elect the dem and than hold the dem’s feet to the fire after election.

The trick is to elect any Republican…and make sure we get a hard-a$$ leader to keep them in order.

Reid/Pelosi, did that…

right2bright on November 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

right2bright on November 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Unions have invested $3M in McAuliffe’s campaign. They want to get rid of right-to-work.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

McAuliffe will triple down on Obamacare.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

If I still lived in VA, this is not where or when I’d be making my moral stand.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

thphilli isn’t making a moral stand either. He’s a Dem troll trying to divert folks to a douchebag being funded by McAuliffe to run as a “libertarian.”

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM

From the Romney thread. Fits better here:

What does it say about VA Dems that they refuse to have physical contact with blacks? What’s next on the Dem agenda? Separate water fountains and whites only neigborhoods?

In all seriousness, this story will hurt Northam tomorrow.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

The truth about Dems….

When I was little (early 1960s), we moved to VA (DELMARVA peninsula near Chincoteague) when my Dad was assigned to Wallops Island. One night his office all went out to eat together for a welcome for my parents – one black couple, the others white. My Mom had grown up in a small Massachusetts town and just did not understand the way things were down there at the time – racially speaking. The black lady in the group stopped my Mom from getting a drink from “the wrong water fountain” and told her she had to go to the other fountain across the lobby – the “white” fountain. My Mom just didn’t understand why she couldn’t drink from the particular fountain right in front of her, and once it was explained, her response was “Is the water any different? No? That’s just nuts. Are people down here crazy?”

dentarthurdent on November 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

dentarthurdent on November 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Don’t have any sympathy for VA either way. It’s a blue state.

If McAuliffe comes in and screws up VA that’s just better for states like TX.

tetriskid on November 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

So, do you like the fact that transplants from blue states are making their way to TX? I would think that other red states would want VA to stay red. We’re getting all the freeloaders from DC and MD.

Incidentally, I’ve seen ads for TX here in VA. You guys looking for transplants?

freedomfirst on November 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Looking ahead if Cuccinelli loses…

How much damage can McAwful do, beyond his uberdoucheness? Both VA houses will likely remain in control of the Republicans.

22044 on November 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Yep. And yet, Sarvis is NOT a libertarian. He’s your run-of-the-mill progressive.

lucyvanpelt on November 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Is it about motivation or is it about GOTV? You’re assuming it’s liberals vs conservatives but that’s not the case in the age of Obama – it’s about identity. Democrats know who their voters are (minorities, gov’t workers, gov’t clients, young people) and where they live (inner cities, trendy neighborhoods, college towns). That gives them an advantage in contacting them and getting to the polls. Who are the republican base constituencies?

kcewa on November 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Then you must be perfectly happy with what the Dems are doing to us.
I don’t like having to vote for the “lesser of 2 evils” either, but that’s the way many races are going now.

A Denver radio talk show guy, Mike Rosen, has been saying for a long time “party trumps person”. Like it not, we currently have pretty much a 2 party system. If you don’t vote for the R, then you are effectively voting for the D.
If you sit out the election or vote for a 3rd party candidate who can’t possibly win, the statement you’re making is “I’m ok with what the Dems are doing to us”.

dentarthurdent on November 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

moonsbreath on November 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

He really has no choice. There will always be a black Mayor in Atlanta and if you are wanting to get any leverage with the city folks you have to give a little.

Unless you would prefer someone like Roy Barnes.

Barred on November 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Looking ahead if Cuccinelli loses…

22044 on November 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I really don’t want to put that one to the test.

At a minimum, he’ll end all resistance to Obamacare and expand the Medicare rolls (which leaves the state picking up the entire tab for the parasites after two years of federal dollars “helping” with the bill)

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

INC on November 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Thanks!

lucyvanpelt on November 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Still a far better candidate than Cucinelli.

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Yes, because of the mythological $odomy and abortion ban is going to effect you WAY more than Sarvis installing a GPS in your car to tax your mileage.

melle1228 on November 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

So, when in a pinch you choose “disaster” over “disappointment”. What do you do when a pan catches fire on your stove, pour gas on it?

Tim Zank on November 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

lucyvanpelt on November 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

You’re very welcome!

INC on November 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Yes, because the mythological $odomy and abortion ban is going to affect you WAY more than Sarvis installing a GPS in your car to tax your mileage.

melle1228 on November 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM

YEP.

hollygolightly on November 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I’ve been meaning to link to this, but with all the ObamaCare scandal, I’d forgotten it until the issue of social conservativism was raised.

In October American Principles in Action published its own GOP Autopsy Report 2013.

Rush Limbaugh: “Folks, a conservative group has published a spot on analysis of why the Republican Party lost the 2012 elections.”

This analysis stands in sharp contrast to the Republican National Committee’s report, “Growth and Opportunity Project”, popularly known as the “autopsy.”

“Building a Winning GOP Coalition: The Lessons of 2012″, takes a hard-headed, skeptical, and primarily political look at the lessons Republicans must learn from 2012 in order to build a winning national GOP coalition. It challenges the conventional wisdom that the national GOP’s loss in 2012 was a result of a focus on extremist social issues, which hampered candidates touting a winning economic message.

This document challenges the existing “truce model” and puts forward a case for integrated conservatism. We argue that social issues are winning issues, and that a winning economic message must address the concerns of middle-class voters.

Full report: http://www.americanprinciplesinaction.org/gop-autopsy-report-2013-pdf/

INC on November 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Looking ahead if Cuccinelli loses…

22044 on November 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Some things he will almost certainly TRY to do:

–Raise the minimum wage

–Repeal the state ban on public employee unions

–Reinstate the one-gun-a-month law

–Massively increase the state budget overall, with more money for K-12 education, colleges, and other liberal favorites

Will be interesting to see if he can get any of it passed, or if he actually goes through with his promise to veto any state budget that doesn’t expand Medicaid.

rockmom on November 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM

McAuliff will be a disaster. I would love to move to a red state – blue states suck.

disa on November 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Where’s Dick Morris when you need him to tell you how wrong the poll’s sample weightings are?

I learned the lesson of November 2012.

Don’t get your hopes up people.

Carnac on November 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I wonder how many Obamacare cancellation notices have been sent out in VA???…

PatriotRider on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

If you’re still around I just saw a number of only 76,000 cancellations in Maryland, Virginia, and DC combined. Some midwestern states have gotten 100s of 1000s of cancellations.

Probably keeping them low in Jersey, too, to help the next DemoRino, Christie.

Greyledge Gal on November 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Can’t believe he didn’t ask Palin to come in and stump for him. I think in all areas of the state, with possible exception of N VA, she would have had a large, net positive effect and turned out the vote for the entire Republican ticket. For Republicans to win in VA, they need a large Republican vote in Tidewater, Southside, and western VA to offset large Democrat turnout in N VA.

huckleberryfriend on November 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Can we now, finally, let this be an example that Ron Paul is, in fact, a loyal member of the GOP, and a good conservative…?

JohnGalt23 on November 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Maybe the Dems’ internals aren’t too good, on the last full day they’re using dirty robocalls to claim that Cuccinelli supports Obamacare & abortion.

22044 on November 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

You don’t send a message by voting. You send a message by sending a message — calling/writing your congress critters and the party organizations.

You use your vote to put the person that most closely matches your views.

If you are voting for anyone other than Cuccinelli, you are neither a conservative nor a libertarian.

db on November 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Va republicans didn’t have a say in the matter once the VA GOP central committee decided they would nominate the candidate via a convention instead of the usual primary.

BacaDog on November 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

JohnGalt23 on November 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I don’t agree with Paul on a lot of things, but I have the utmost respect for him, especially since he recognized what a fake Sarvis is.

melle1228 on November 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yeah, that’s what’s wrong with the country: too many social conservatives.

Sorry, but the “social conservatives are statists” meme is purest idiocy.

There Goes the Neighborhood on November 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Time to send in the clown.

Paging Joe Biden.

Gunlock Bill on November 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Prayin for ya Cooch…I hope the albatross of obama is around mcAuliffes neck

crosshugger on November 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM

disa on November 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I went to school in Virginia (UVa) and lived and worked there as a young adult. I LOVED Virginia. To me, it was the center of the universe. Used to take the family back on annual vacations. At this point I don’t expect ever to return. Specifically because of the way Virginians vote.

When lefties were attacking AZ for trying to enforce immigration laws, I showed support by vacationing and spending money in AZ. Since then I’ve continued the policy by going only to red states (ID, MT, etc.). When buying things online, I also look for sellers in red states.

As for pulling up stakes and actually moving away, it’s hard. Must confess that the state I moved to after VA has also gone deep blue, and I’m still here only because the wife won’t budge. But I wonder at what point lingering becomes comparable to the situation of, say, Jews in Europe prior to WWII. It isn’t going to get any better.

fatherspledge on November 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yeah, that’s what’s wrong with the country: too many social conservatives.

Sorry, but the “social conservatives are statists” meme is purest idiocy.

There Goes the Neighborhood on November 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

While not in complete agreement with thphilli, I do agree that government involvement in social issues can be the biggest impediment in the GOP take over in the Senate. Remember, at the outset the TEA Party was the Taxed Enough Already Party, decidedly staying out of social issues. The only reason we don’t have a majority in Senate is stupid social comments by stupid candidates.

Please TEA Party return to your roots.

Tater Salad on November 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Okay, I will try this one more time…A statist believes that all rights are derived from the state or centralized government. Stalin and Hitler were statists. If I read one more moronic libertarian write that Cuccinelli or Santorum or even Romney are statists, I am going to scream. And I am really getting tired of those so opposed to social conservatives that they saddle us with secular socialists who are destroying the country. You all are as responsible for the current mess we are in as any liberal democrat.

fight like a girl on November 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

You richly deserve every horrible thing that will happen to you.

Murphy9 on November 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I have a relative who lived in Virginia and doesn’t like Cuccinelli because he is a social conservative but says he won’t vote for Terry because he does not like Obamacare now that he lost his insurance. Of course he voted for Obama over Romney because he thought Romney was too socially conservative. I love secular logic.

fight like a girl on November 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Don’t make the perfect the enemy of the good. The time to sort such things out is primaries…

JohnGalt23 on November 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM

thphilli

Spoken like a good little democrat. McCauliffe, Obama and Hillary thank you for your support.

Still a far better candidate than Cucinelli.

thphilli

Sure he is…if you’re a democrat.

Good, because I wont be doing either of those two things.

thphilli

No, you’ll be voting for McCauliffe’s democrat colleague who rejects Austrian economics, who is hesitant to cut taxes or reduce spending, and who supports raising gas taxes and putting a GPS on everyone’s car to track their every move. Hey, I guess you were right…you are done with voting for the lesser evil and will instead go for the real thing.

xblade on November 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Still a far better candidate than Cucinelli.

thphilli on November 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

If you really believe that, then you’re a sucker and a fool…

…or a leftist troll.

Solaratov on November 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM

C’mon Cuccinelli!!..We can win this..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM