Is Wendy Davis viable in the Texas Gov race?

posted at 11:01 am on November 3, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

When Wendy Davis finished her pink sneaker clad, 13 hour filibuster of an anti-abortion bill in Texas, she stepped immediately into the national spotlight, becoming a darling of the Left and the media in general. That sort of attention can be a heady brew to take in, so it’s not entirely shocking that she made the decision to attempt to parlay her fifteen minutes of fame into a shot at something bigger… in this case, the Governor’s mansion. But that filibuster and the associated issue of abortion are really the only card she had to play. Could that prove a winning formula in still-red Texas, though? Michael New, writing at The Corner, doesn’t seem to think so.

Wendy Davis’s recent entrance into the race for Texas governor has garnered national media attention. A few weeks ago, Democratic political consultant Jason Stanford authored a Politico op-ed claiming that Davis’s position on abortion will actually help her during her upcoming campaign. His primary argument involves polling data that purportedly shows significant percentages of moderates, suburbanites, and soft Republicans in Texas think abortion should be a “legal and personal choice.” Stanford also thinks that Davis’s abortion stance may help her win the votes of suburban Texas women. His argument is unpersuasive.

Political scientists know the results of abortion polls are very sensitive to the wording of the survey questions. The poll Stanford cites — which was clearly worded to bias respondents toward a “pro-choice” position — still showed that less than 35 percent of those in certain key demographic groups in Texas support legal abortion. Furthermore, Senator Davis’s chosen conduit into the national spotlight was her outspoken support for brutal late-term abortions — beyond the fifth and sixth month of gestation. This is something that is strongly opposed by most Americans, especially in a red state like Texas.

There’s not much to argue with in what Michael is saying here, but I think it goes a bit deeper than that. Davis could have stepped up to champion any of a number of liberal causes and done so with sufficient flare to catch the attention (SQUIRREL!) of the national media for a while. But winning the ratings battle in the cable news wars for a weekend is different than winning an election… particularly this election. In any large state there will be congressional districts, state senate and assembly seats which can be picked up by a Democrat even in an otherwise largely red area. But the Governor’s race is the same as a Senate seat or carrying the state in the Presidential race. You have to carry the whole state.. but is Texas any type of fertile ground for that?

We touched on this subject briefly while asking if Texas might be turning blue in the future. Davis might ring a few bells in particular demographic groups or urban areas, but that doesn’t add up to the type of numbers you need to carry Texas. The best recent example we could cite can be found in the answer to this question; how many of you remember the name Paul Sadler? If you’re scratching your head or pulling up Google in another browser tab right now you’re to be forgiven. Sadler was the Democrat candidate for the US Senate seat now occupied by Ted Cruz. There was only one race of interest in Texas last year in terms of that office and it was the primary. Nobody gave Sadler a shot, and he performed right down to expectations in a 56-40 blowout.

That’s not to say that there isn’t a Democrat out there somewhere who could win in Texas. But it would need to be somebody with a truly electrifying stage presence and a unique, cross brand appeal which could successfully scrap the current two party paradigm. It’s happened in other states to be sure. (Who thought New Jersey would elect a GOP Governor back to back in the 21st century?) But the question we need to ask is if Wendy Davis is that person. There’s little to suggest that she will wind up being much more than another Paul Sadler in the history books of Texas politics.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

she is only propped up in this race to bring in the big national pro anortion funding for other state elections.

Her campaign will not be viable after the 5th month.

Rumor is she will have a ready made seat for her at 0bama’s table after she is defeated.

elowe on November 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I hope she gets the democrat nomination so I’ll have the pleasure of voting against her in the election. She is Kermit Gosnell in a skirt.

golfer1 on November 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Sadly, Wendy is viable. In a rational world, she’d not be anything, but the same illness that drove the nation to put Obama in the White House also infects Texas.

I’m hoping we show her the door. I’ll do my part. But I’m not betting on it.

Mdirmeie on November 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

She is stillbirth.

Murphy9 on November 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Just think, Wendy, once upon a time, you were just a fetus.

mobydutch on November 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Look at it this way: But for abortion, we’d be up to our necks in ‘rat voters, parasites, thuja-types and out-of-work people.

Lanceman on November 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Are you implying that we’re not in that condition now? Obama won twice, 47% of our population is on food stamps, college campuses are overflowing with brain washed liberals and unemployment is realistically somewhere around 17%. I guess if it weren’t for abortion those numbers could be much worse but still it ain’t a very pretty picture.

Oldnuke on November 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Well if Lanceman’s argument carries water …then let’s at least do it right. We don’t do it well.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I seem to remember the Democratic Party running a man for President in 2008 with about the same credentials as Ted Cruz and that turned out pretty well, didn’t it?

thuja on November 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM

The same credentials? O_o

You may wish to clarify that slightly – the same *SENATE* credentials.

kim roy on November 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM

thuja on November 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM

When you’re this ignorant it’s better to be quiet. Do some reading, compare everything about the two men, then rethink your comment.

Schadenfreude on November 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM

OK, let’s carry it all the way: If one aborts all the abortion-types out of existence, abortion will no longer be necessary. Why would I insist keeping people around that continually fight against my well-being?

I am no Christian in the traditional sense of the word. I am a reincarnationist. Nobody is ‘innocent’ in life. We have all lived before and we will all live again. A baby may be helpless, but innocent? Hardly. He (or she) has karmic retribution to account for.

There must be order in the universe, or what’s the point?

Ted Kennedy, that fat, besotted pig, spent a lifetime destroying all while living in the lap of luxury without EVER doing a hard day’s work. Should he benefit from a ‘roll of the dice’ while there are children dying of diseases in St. Jude’s Hospital?

I think not.

Lanceman on November 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I’m hoping we show her the door. I’ll do my part. But I’m not betting on it.

Mdirmeie on November 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I’m not from Texas, so this is outside observation for me … but, seriously? Romney beats O’Bonehead by 16 points in Texas, but a radical abortion adherent like Wendy Davis becomes Governor? I don’t think so.

Jaibones on November 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM

The liberals run through people like Wendy Davis like Kleenex. Remember Cindy Sheehan? Once she is no longer useful, she will be in the dustbin.

pgrossjr on November 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Romney took all the suburban area ‘ring’ counties, and the same is true of all the counties around Houston, Austin and Dallas (including Tarrant County, home to Fort Worth and Arlington).

jon1979 on November 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Yeah, I was missing San Antonio. But the numbers there are also remarkably conservative, for a city. And the collar counties around Dallas ran something close to 80% Romney. As you say — a city v. suburbs and urban v. rural contrast. Just like everywhere else in the country.

People laugh at the clownish Illinois Democrats and their statewide domination, but in the last Gubernatorial race, the Dems won (I think) three counties in the whole state. Cook County ran something like 75% mob/Dem, and that offsets the rest of a large state.

Jaibones on November 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM

falcaner on November 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Hey, I remember her. She’s the lady who believes an issue affecting eight-one-thousandths of one percent (0.008%) of the total US population is “no small matter”.

Shame no one will think to ask her about the millions losing health insurance under Obamacare and to compare the significance of the two numbers.

rogerb on November 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM

…she’s an abortion!

KOOLAID2 on November 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM

So if you like your dead babies you can keep your dead babies?
Go Wendy! Go Wendy! Just keep f@cking those fetuses. Love those bloody sneakers!

onomo on November 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I’m hoping we show her the door. I’ll do my part. But I’m not betting on it.

Mdirmeie on November 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

No, she isn’t. Her filibuster failed because the Lege had a solid majority of votes to pass the bill. And we’re supposed to believe that same state is going to turn around and elect her governor?

No chance. None. I know the media is always a worry, but the numbers just aren’t there.

Missy on November 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Is Wendy Davis viable in the Texas Gov race?

She is only running to garner national attention.
Abortion Barbi wants to get OUT of Texas…..

redguy on November 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I don’t think she stands a chance..But I didn’t think Terry McAuliffe had a chance either..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Dire Straits on November 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM

True but…Texas ain’t Virginia. Thank God.

Missy on November 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM

True but…Texas ain’t Virginia. Thank God.

Missy on November 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Very good point..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM

But will it make me the polite almost Jesus like model of love that you are?

thuja on November 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Contrary to popular belief, Jesus was not a craven wuss.

When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!”

John 2:13-16

northdallasthirty on November 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

In Texas we have a new expression for cynical, oblivious, hack politics. We call it Pink Shoe Thinking.

RushBaby on November 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Is Wendy Davis viable in the Texas Gov race?

You forget she’s pro-abortion. So I’m sure she doesn’t care whether she’s viable or not.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on November 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

thuja on November 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM

You’re really quite hilarious. So you trolls have been hiding in the corners for a week and this is the story you post on?

itsspideyman on November 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM

The maps tell the story …

2008: http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2008/TX

2012: http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/TX

Pork-Chop on November 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

The maps show that TX got redder not bluer from ’08 to ’12. I’m putting my money on it getting even redder in ’14 after the ACA debacle.

Red Creek on November 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM

The same credentials? O_o

You may wish to clarify that slightly – the same *SENATE* credentials.

kim roy on November 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM

thuja on November 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Is Wendy Davis viable in the Texas Gov race?

I swear, at first I thought the headline said:

Is Wendy Davis visible in the Texas Gov race?

Which I actually thought was a good question.

There Goes the Neighborhood on November 3, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Contrary to popular belief, Jesus was not a craven wuss.

northdallasthirty on November 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Dude, I would not be the one who would claim Jesus was a craven wuss. But there is a difference big enough to be noticeable by even a small mind between not being a craven wuss and being an a**hole.

thuja on November 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Yep. She’s liable to expose the abortion industry as a bunch of ghouls with her enthusiasm for Gosnell abortion clinics.

Oh, you said viable? No.

kcewa on November 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM

thuja on November 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM

If anyone was up to the task of parsing out those minute differences, it most certainly would be and experienced person in that area, such as yourself.

Murphy9 on November 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I hate the fact we have an excellent Conservative candidate in Greg Abbott, and we have an attention Queen named Debra Medina who plans to run as a “Tea Party” candidate and rather than run against Abbott in the ® primary as she did against Perry, it is reported that Medina has been told she is guaranteed millions ONLY if she runs as a third-party. You see, Debra can’t add 2+2 to see what someone has planned. I was listening to Mark Davis explain it and he was furious.

Marcus on November 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM

It will have to be a hispanic democrat and the democrats know it. I am putting my money on one of the Castro brothers in 4 – 8 years.

chris999 on November 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM

This will be a test of whether name recognition will help a Democrat in Texas. Bill White, who ran on the Democratic ticket in the last gubernatorial election, was a well-liked mayor of Houston (not exactly deep blue territory), perhaps the most competent and moderate Democrat available to run in Texas, but not really well-known statewide. He lost by 13 points. Davis has zero credentials, but that might actually work in her favor. What she does have is name recognition, which might help. Will it be enough?

If I had to guess I would say no. She’s known for opposing a bill that enjoyed 60% support. Her best shot of winning is if Greg Abbott pulls a Todd Akin and puts his foot in his mouth about rape. It’s happened before — Clayton Williams was ahead by 20 points in the polls until he made a tasteless comment about rape and Ann Richards wiped the floor with him in 1990. But Clayton WIlliams was an oil tycoon and an inexperienced politician, and Greg Abbott is not, so it may not be that simple… but you can bet that Davis will be looking for any opportunity to make the Akin comparison.

Some people think this is just a ploy to boost her national profile. I don’t understand that, because if she can’t win this election she’s certainly not going to be a Senator, either. And this is an awful lot of work to get a cabinet position with an administration that only has 2 years left. Maybe she’s looking to 2016 and wants Hillary to notice. Maybe she’s just going for broke because redistricting has pretty much eliminated her chances of being re-elected to the state senate. Or maybe she really thinks she has a shot at winning. I have a lot of liberal friends who are excited about her. Myself, I’m just smirking about how much liberal money she’s going to draw away from other more realistic races.

Caiwyn on November 4, 2013 at 1:01 AM

“Ok. Let’s clarify that. Cruz has no more executive experience than Obama had when Obama became President. While I like most of what Cruz has to say, I fear he would be a disaster as President like Obama.”

There is one huge difference. Cruz is intelligent. Obama is not.

Webrider on November 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM

There is one huge difference. Cruz is intelligent. Obama is not.

Webrider on November 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM

The huge issue is ethical. Barry is a pedophile by his nurtured nature. Picked from progressive obscurity by the will of mighty or the weak minded masses they created, B will feed on anything and anyone to scratch a second thought itch.
Morality is a progressive no man’s land and if Cruz has a minute bit of it, he’s worlds ahead of B. He’s already shown incredible respect to the enlightenment that is our Constitution.
Ergo it is very bad form to even consider using their names in the same sentence. Well unless you’re Confucius or you’re just running around with your yin and yang out all the time.

onomo on November 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM

This will be difficult… even for the dems. The usual 5-7 point fraud won’t get it done. This one will require 10-15 points. The only way to get that done would be to set up a macro program on the electronic vote counter that gave every 3rd vote a straight democratic ticket. That will be obvious even to the crooked judges that oversee the process.

The other issue is that if the New Black Panters set up thugs standing outside precints in many parts of Texas they will be beaten to a pulp where they would look like a bag of gelatinous muck and then probably shot a couple of times for good measure.

Holder will make it closer than it would be but he’ll still win by 10.

acyl72 on November 4, 2013 at 7:35 AM

acyl72 on November 4, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Actually it’s much simpler. Like I said, put Debra Medina in, label her “Tea Party” and have her attack Greg Abbott non-stop. She needs to be driven out of the state on a rail if she plans to do it. “But Debra, you actually could split the vote or aide the extreme liberal.”
“I don’t care, we need…”
Against a man who probably is ranked 110% Conservative.

Marcus on November 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM

She is truly only known for one issue and it’s a loser in Texas. Especially, considering the bill she chose to filibuster regulated abortion clinics as should be done with any outpatient surgical center. If the pro-aborters are so concerned with women’s health, then why not support a bill that will actually make women’s abortions safer?

I know the answer, but wanted to ask. All Wendy knows is that she gets lots of money from PP and other pro-abortion groups (think big abortion) and she is not going to stand by and let them be regulated, even if a few Kermit Gosnells slip through the cracks. She can do it because the media doesn’t cover the Gosnells. MSM only covers how brilliant Wendy’s pink tennies are.

matthew26 on November 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Marcus on November 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Don’t forget, Debra Medina is a Troofer, or at least Troofer-friendly. They’ll be more than happy to burn her, should she take the bait and run third party.

Sekhmet on November 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Caiwyn on November 4, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Davis in the Texas Senate until the abortion kerfuffle had kept herself fairly far away from the outright liberal wing of the Texas Democratic Party, because she knew she couldn’t win re-election to her Tarrant County district by sounding like a member of the Austin City Council. She pretty much did herself in as far as re-election to the Senate goes, but for the first month or so after the filibuster seemed to have been caught up in her new supporters’ hype, and didn’t figure out until late July that running for anything in Texas outside of a few urban areas as a candidate whose name is synonymous with late-term abortions is not a great strategy.

Bill White lost to Rick Perry in 2010 by 13 points, and that’s probably the threshold Wendy has for remaining viable past next year — if she gets within single digits of Abbott, they’ll keep her in the spotlight as a talking head pundit so she can run in the future (probably for U.S. Senate in 2018). If she gets run over by Abbott’s wheelchair and loses by 15 points or more, she’ll be dropped through the trap door into the crocodile pit, and the state party will turn to making San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro their Next Best Hope for 2018.

jon1979 on November 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Don’t forget, Debra Medina is a Troofer

Yeah, I wonder how she’s still backpedalling that Bush was involved with planning 9-11. I remember listening to Glenn Beck’s show that day and even his post mortum after she had hung up the phone: “I tried to let her take that back at least three times…”

Marcus on November 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Everytime I read one of these ‘Wendy the Wonder Girl’ articles, I am caused to wonder why nobody – but nobody, mentions the fact that in addition to her staged (and useless) filibuster, which brought her to her 15 minutes…………. Dem polling was already showing that she wasn’t going to be able to win the upcoming re-election for her own Senate seat from her district.

So given the choice — lose her state senate re-election bid, or live la dolce vita while losing the race for gob’nor… for her it was a no-brainer. Decisions for which she is aptly suited.

Pecozbill on November 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM

When your life is dedicated to making it legal for children to be murdered in the womb, you have sad, disgusting, wasted existence.

mankai on November 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Is Wendy Davis viable in the Texas Gov race?

Texas’ response: A 20 week old fetus is viable. Davis’ 4 week old gubernatorial fantasy is not.

rukiddingme on November 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Abortion Barbie is going to run for Governor because despite millions of dollars from the abortion industry & the trial lawyers she was going to lose her State Senate seat in the next election.

She’s not running for anything except funding and the limelight.

batterup on November 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Less than zero chance.

Just speculation on my part, but my sense is that the only reasons she’s doing this is that she had little chance of winning reelection for her senate seat, so why not go for the big seat and garner some more national attention? She can parlay all that love from NY and San Francisco billionaires into something more profitable, or go to work for that murderous liar in the White House.

juliesa on November 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM

thuja on November 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Don’t make me laugh. Cruz provably is a better undergrad (who will proudly show his courses, grades and recognitions), lawyer, law professor and Senator than BHO ever thought he could be.
There is no comparison of their credentuals to this point.

Windy “Pink Shoes” Davis can’t win her own district, and she’s just a gleam in the eye of Planned Parenthood.

gonnjos on November 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM

She’s only “viable” running for Governor of the Chicken Ranch just outside of Vegas.

NoPain on November 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

SANDRA FLUKE FOR VICE-GOV!

Skptk on November 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM

The newspapers in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are falling all over themselves in their love for Bendy Wendy.

Labamigo on November 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Someone told Davis that Botox would remove the wrinkly-looking folds on her brain.

It seems to have worked really well.

Marcola on November 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Run Wendy, Run!

And — please — waste as much money as humanly possible doing it.

monkeyboy on November 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Obama’s “Windy Davis Doll”

“If you like life, I’ll teach you a Democrat Party thing or two.”

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Stand with Wendy!!

So she can kill more unborn women!!!

PappyD61 on November 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Is she “viable? Is she a fetus or something?

Don L on November 5, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Wendy Davis will garner a lot of media attention from the liberal TV stations in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas/Fort Worth. Outside of those markets, not so much.

Debra Medina put both feet in her mouth when she went on Beck’s show and that’s what flushed her election chances for her in 2010. Rick Perry wasn’t really helping himself and I was almost ready to vote for Medina until she did that. If she runs as a third-party candidate, she won’t be representing any real TEA Party platforms or ideals, but she’ll be getting disguised Democrat money to try and siphon votes from Abbott. And with any luck, the Abbott camp will make it clear to her that she shouldn’t attempt to run.

falcon on November 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

How many of her children did she kill?

StevC on November 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM