Poll: McAuliffe only +2 in Virginia?

posted at 5:21 pm on November 1, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Oh, my. According to the latest poll from Emerson College:

According to a new poll, Democrat Terry McAuliffe’s lead over Republican Ken Cuccinelli has shrunk to 2 points in the Virginia gubernatorial race (42% to 40%, with Libertarian Robert Sarvis at 13%). At the beginning of the month, McAuliffe was up five points (43% to 38%), suggesting Cuccinelli is gaining momentum going into the last weekend of the election. The survey was conducted October 25 to October 30, with 874 likely voters at a 3.24% margin of error.

Despite his slim lead in the poll, 55 percent of Virginia likely voters believe that McAuliffe will be elected, with only 28 percent predicting that Cuccinelli will be their next governor. Twenty percent of self-identified independents are in support of Sarvis, who is leeching votes from Cuccinelli with 11 percent of Republicans supporting his candidacy versus only 6 percent of Democrats who said they would vote for him.

I confess that I find that split a just a little eyebrow-raising, but the improvement from their own poll a month back could perhaps support Wednesday’s Quinnipiac poll that suggested McAuliffe was “clinging” to the race by a scant 4 points and that ergo the race’s momentum might be moving in Team Cuccinelli’s direction. Anyhow, that brings the RCP average to +7.7 points for McAuliffe, and there was another Hampton University poll from this last week that suggested that McAuliffe was ahead by 6 points. Cuccinelli definitely hasn’t given up, though, and he’s rolling with Rand Paul, Bobby Jindal, and now Scott Walker, Marco Rubio, and Ron Paul on the campaign trail for their popular conservative support to try and up Republican turnout:

Scott Walker, Marco Rubio and Ron Paul will campaign with Ken Cuccinelli in the final days of the Virginia governor’s race, sources told POLITICO.

The Wisconsin governor will spend Saturday with the Republican candidate for governor in Spotsylvania and Prince William counties.

The Florida senator has committed to appear Monday, on the eve of the election, in Warrenton and Culpeper.

The former Texas congressman will speak at a rally that evening in Richmond.

But Team McAuliffe is still raking it in, with appearances by President Obama and Joe Biden on tap. Via WaPo:

For the two weeks before the election, Virginia law requires candidates to report all large donations within a day, providing nearly a real-time look at the flow of cash through the political spigots. At the top of the ballot, almost all of the money is flowing in one direction.

On Wednesday, according to the Virginia Public Access Project, McAuliffe (D) reported contributions of $510,000, with more than half that total coming in the form of in-kind donations from the state Democratic Party, the Sierra Club and a pair of labor unions.

For the same day, Cuccinelli reported raising just $12,000 — roughly 1/50th of McAuliffe’s haul. In the race overall, McAuliffe has now raised more than $35 million, nearly double Cuccinelli’s total.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Say Panther and be honest(if you can) : What other names have you posted under at Hotair?

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

1) Satan

2) Lucifer

3) Beelzebub

4) Mefistofeles

5) Belial

6)Diablo

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Pantther is a leftist plant.

The true Libertarians/libertarians/conservatives are the true liberals, not McAuliffe, whom Panther wants to win.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Panther is a plant.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Bmore

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM

MY Obamacare? Child, please…I appreciate your response, though. Best of luck fighting the good fight, friend. Just make sure than when you gain power, your hatred and intolerance of Christians and socons doesn’t infringe on my rights, kthxbye.

fortcoins on November 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I hope that McAuliffe will destroy all the panthers, and theirs too. YOU deserve full destruction by the Clinton machine, which McAuliffe is.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM

The ‘Libertarian’ candidate in VA is a leftist plant, always was. He has NO clue what true libertarianism even stands for.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM

It’s always been confusing to me exactly what the Libertarian beliefs are.

Thanks

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Panther is just trolling. Not a lot really going on there.It doesn’t even grasp reality.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I haven’t followed this thread, but just checking to see if any news about the VA Gov race. Your statement I quoted above here, is sort of meaningless unless you or others have a solution.

From what I’ve read and seen of the Libertarian Party, it means various things. Does the Party have a Platform and if so where could I read about it?

It’s always been confusing to me exactly what the Libertarian beliefs are.

Thanks

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

No problem at all:

More so than with most parties, this is a rough idea…I’m firmly against the Libertarian immigration stance. They are much too open-border for my taste.

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Yeh I knew you wouldn’t be honest. Thanks for the confirmation!

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Panther posts the link to the Libertarian party…ahahaahah. That’s how we know he knows what their platform is…..

Putz doesn’t even know what they stand for…ahhahaha. What a joke.

Too much. Our troll quality is in the tank …people.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Seriously this Panther dude is laughable. Later.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I haven’t researched him, but I’ll take your word and Mark Levins for it.

Seems we have had a lot of Candidates posing as what they are not.

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Putz doesn’t even know what they stand for…ahhahaha. What a joke.

Too much. Our troll quality is in the tank …people.

CWchangedhisNicagain on November 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Well, if you want to spend a little cash…here is a good book:

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I haven’t researched him, but I’ll take your word and Mark Levins for it.

Seems we have had a lot of Candidates posing as what they are not.

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM

….remember that they ran “Tea Party” candidates in 2012!

KOOLAID2 on November 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Been here before with these ridiculous polls. McAuliffe wins by 5+.

dddave on November 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Well, I just did some research on Robert Jarvis. It seems he’s never held any political office. Lost a State Senate race against the Dem! The fact that he wants to start at the top in a Governor’s race would eliminate him from any consideration imo.

Wiki says he’s an American Politician, Lawyer and Software Developer (Google)

Finally, when Ron Paul is against you, that is all I need to know, LOL

Ron Paul endorsed Cuccinelli.

Conclusion: He’s a leftist plant.

Next…

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM

McAuliffe will scroom you and the land, royally, on amnesty alone, obamacare and so much more.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

No problem at all:

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Ok, I’ll check it out. Thanks. I think most people are against any current Immigration/Amnesty proposals being discussed. Well, all except any Illegal that is.

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Here are some of the top-rated Libertarian websites according to Reason:

Hopefully we can keep amnesty off the table while obamacare is in complete meltdown…hopefully.

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I got it from Rubio, so it comes from both parties. The only difference is I gave money to the chucklehead Rubio.

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM

….remember that they ran “Tea Party” candidates in 2012!

KOOLAID2 on November 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

What?! I know the Dems did. You mean we have R, D and L enemies as well?

I have a new rule for anyone running for any State or Federal Office: If you don’t have a record that you’ve been elected to a public office OR have a verifiable record of approved accomplishments…you are toast!

Also, you must have references from those we the Tea Party and Conservatives hold in high esteem.

Mr. Kool, you can add to my rules:-)

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Cuccinelli is NOT Rubio.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Here are some of the top-rated Libertarian websites according to Reason:

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Cool. All I know about the Libertarian Party is what I’ve heard from Ron Paul & Rand Paul. Although, I think some Libertarian & Conservative Views overlap.

This may be a good time for me to read up on the L Party.

I am Tea Party/Conservative. Liberty, Freedom, Independence is part of my core, if you will. Always has been. Took me a long time to understand what I was rebelling against, LOL Must be my Irish/German Ancestors fault:-)

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Here is a great podcast for everyone’s listening pleasure..:)

PS..Mary Katharine Ham is the special guest..:)

Dire Straits on November 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Cooch’s main chance is turnout. All the bad news about ObamaCare won’t help Democrats come out, and could be key in moving independents. Most “independents” aren’t confirmed independents,most are just people who aren’t truly involved in the political process and have no strong ideology at all, so they flit back and forth on likability and other short-term emotional drivers of opinion. If they are paying attention to what Democrats have done to their health care system, they could abandon McAuliffe completely.

Truth be told, it is a disgrace to the Commonwealth and the Democratic Party that a two-bit crook like McAuliffe is even in the race.

Adjoran on November 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Love those qualities, very nice meeting you.

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Earlier I gave socialist and religion equal props for mass killings. Don’t want to slight your comrades out of their due.

So if one is to understand – you are now trying to equate one of the buildings blocks of civilization with the ideology that has led to more death and misery then any other source over the last ~200 years? Do you consider fire to be as big a danger as militarized police? Electricty as big a danger as authoritarian governments?

And you are doing this in the effort to justify taking the sidelines in an election between one of said socialists and a non socialist?

And in relation to an election where the non-socialist is the country’s most vocal opponent of global warming? Which one should note is the greatest threat to libertarian thought?

Your stance seems rather poorly thought through.

I see enormous upside, from a libertarian perspective, if Cuccinelli wins – arguably more then if the liberal running as a libertarian wins. I see an enormous downside if McAullife wins.

18-1 on November 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM

The Democrat reliance on hierarchy and obedience gives them a lot of advantages overall – notice how they stay on messages and rarely stab each other in the back?

The disadvantage is that it means that they have to excuse outright crooks like McAuliffe.

After all if they went after him, where would it stop?

18-1 on November 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Dire Straits on November 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Thanks Dire, will close some windows first:-)

Time change for some of us tonight. I keep reminding others, hope I don’t forget!

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Socons alienate more people than you attract. You scream for government intervention in marriage and abortion – it is a constant and shrill whine that drives people away. I’m not a Republican, so not my call – just a suggestion to get rid of a limited, two-platform annoyance.

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 6:21 AM

WTF do you think state licensure is? WTF do you think EXPANDING the definition of marriage is? It is government intervention, you dolt..

melle1228 on November 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Exactly.. Just goes to show that if you give lip service to gay marriage (BIGGER GOVERNMENT) and marijuana legalization than libertarians don’t actually look into the rest of the platforms.

This guy wants to expand Medicaid with Obamacare, and he wants to tax people based on the mileage they use. The only way to effectively do that is to put a GPS in every car and have the government monitor it.

But look on the bright side, atleast you will be high and covered medically, and able to marry another man/woman while your being taxed to he!! and your privacy is being invaded.

melle1228 on November 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Adjoran on November 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I agree. Virginia of all States! Turnout is key as you say. I just hope the Voters won’t give the victory away by voting for Jarvis.

One thing that may unite the American people of all stripes is this abomination of Obamacare. Everyone is going to be affected and it’s topic #1 and will be for sometime.

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Love those qualities, very nice meeting you.

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Thanks, nice of you to say.

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Adjoran on November 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
……………………

How did a carpet bagging POS like the punk ever get into such a high office race? Va. must have really gone down over the past ten years. Sad to see.
Obviously,way too much dc influence.

rodguy911 on November 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Your stance seems rather poorly thought through.

18-1 on November 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I don’t consider Republicans winning to be an upside. The have been responsible for huge increases in the scale and scope of government. Electing a social conservative is not a plus for me. They continue the expansion of government while at the same time taking liberty from others. No upside there for Libertarians. Both of your parties are horrible.

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM

In the VA race, the Libertarians, R’s, Tea Party & Conservatives better join together and vote for Cuccinelli.

LaRaza, and other Latino Organizations are all out supporting McAuliffe in a get out the vote. Massive Phone calls & knocking on doors.

In the final weekend of the campaign for Virginia Governor, Republican Ken Cuccinelli has announced rallies with Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and former Congressman Ron Paul, among other Republicans.

From what I’ve read, this VA race is about nothing but Amnesty.

bluefox on November 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

DU is already celebrating the win.

conservative tarheel on November 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I would imagine the Clinton underling shall take the prize. The non voting republicans seem to be growing in huge numbers. There just isn’t a good enough reason to support them anymore.

shar61 on November 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Democrats bring nothing but ruin to to cities, town & states by giving them bigger government. They never consider the cost. Why is it so hard for Republicans to sell this.

RdLake on November 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM

You are a fraud and you know it. Social liberalism creates larger government. Welfare, single-parenthood (WIC), SSDI, all are granted through social liberalism. It’s what you desire. You’re the big government stooge.

Social conservatives believe policy should be dictated locally and the individual should have a say in that policy. You just hate the religious and use social conservatism as an excuse to bash them.

njrob on November 3, 2013 at 1:17 AM

njrob on November 3, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Then explain to me why we have the Defense of Marriage Act, socon?

Panther on November 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Then explain to me why we have the Defense of Marriage Act, socon?

Panther on November 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM

So that one state (theoretically) can’t increase the size of another state’s government by shoehorning non-productive people into legal status intended to encourage responsible child rearing.

Count to 10 on November 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Then explain to me why we have the Defense of Marriage Act, socon?

Panther on November 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM

William Jefferson Clinton

Care to cue anything else up reprobate?

Murphy9 on November 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I can cite founding father after founding father for my belief system. I also said it’s supported by the 9th and 10th as those Amendments leave the decisions up to the states. You do know there were still states with official religions after the passing of the Constitution, right?

I also asked you to show me where murder was banned by the Consitution?

I know freedom of religion is expressly permitted by the 1st Amendment. I don’t see anywhere that it says there’s freedom from religion.

njrob on November 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Then explain to me why we have the Defense of Marriage Act, socon?

Panther on November 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM

DoMA specifically left it up to the states and said the federal government would respect that decision. How you call that “big government” is beyond human comprehension.

njrob on November 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM

If there were a semblance of an unbiased media, McAuliffe wouldn’t even be close. This is one of the sleaziest operators that the Democrap Party has ever shat upon us with. His actual policy views are so far out in left field that most Virginians wouldn’t give him two seconds of consideration, were they informed.

hillbillyjim on November 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Ha-Ha

HEH: Advance Copy of Obama’s Speech for Terry McAuliffe Leaked to Cuccinelli Campaign.

Good catch by Reynolds.

Hoping against hope for Cuccinelli!

bluefox on November 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Hoping against hope for Cuccinelli!

bluefox on November 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Praying for him also and the Voters of VA that they use some common sense at the Voting Booth.

It is Sunday, after all:-)

bluefox on November 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Panther on November 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM

njrob on November 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Why is it any business of the Government to meddle in the affairs
of Marriage in the first place? Let each Congressperson tend to their own Marriage and leave us alone.

How I detest these meddlers. Constantly sticking their noses into where they don’t belong!

bluefox on November 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Why is it any business of the Government to meddle in the affairs

Riddle me this. Can a father marry his son?

alanstern on November 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Why is it any business of the Government to meddle in the affairs

bluefox on November 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Riddle me this. Can a father marry his son?

alanstern on November 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Can he as being able? Or may he? He can. As far as I know, under neither Federal or any State law, he may not.

bluefox on November 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Then explain to me why we have the Defense of Marriage Act, socon? Panther on November 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM

We do?

Akzed on November 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

We do?

Akzed on November 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Yeah, the Republican congress pushed this two-level system of justice and a Democrat signed it. Took the SC to strike it down. Own it, Socon.

Panther on November 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Terry is “all in” for Obamacare, anti-guns, pro abortion and does not deserve your vote Tuesday. Would be a big mistake, Virginia.

Amazingoly on November 4, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Democrats have not relented in their criticism of Republican Ken Cuccinelli’s positions on abortion, women’s reproductive health and even divorce, and it’s taken a toll, especially among female voters. Polls show Cuccinelli consistently struggling to connect with women in his race against Democratic Terry McAuliffe.

I am growing a bit tired of the press and Democrats believing that women are so shallow.

Notwithstanding the fact that folks that have actually paid attention to Cucinelli’s positions and his own words on women’s issues, which are nothing close to the Democrats scare tactics, women best understand a families financial issues and challenges.

Here’s a question for the women of Virginia- how has your families finances fared under a Democrat Administration? If you’re like most other Americans- not good.

So now you want more of that for the State of Virginia?

I would think the question is- why do Democrats have to lie and scare people so often?

Answer; because their skills, capabilities and position are destructive and responsible for the mess our country is currently in. They have no new ideas, just the same tired and provably destructive nonsense.

Marcus Traianus on November 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

REVEALED: OBAMA CAMPAIGN BUNDLER HELPING FUND LIBERTARIAN IN TIGHT VA. GUBERNATORIAL RACE
theblaze.com ^ | 11/05/2013 | Meredith Jessup

bluefox on November 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Insane

Bmore on November 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Panther on November 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Fake.

Bmore on November 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

SARVIS bankrolled by Obama bundler.

Panther=liar.

Go practice falling down in traffic reprobate.

Murphy9 on November 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Insane

Bmore on November 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I know that many others have attended rallies for Cuccinelli and all help is appreciated.

However, if he wins this election, it will be due to Ron Paul.

Thanks for the video Bmore. I was busy most of yesterday with Family:-)

bluefox on November 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM

This should have been an easy win, McAuliffe is a sleazy dirt bag, but the SoCons nuts once again threw a race to the Democrats.

STOP! nominating Republicans that advocate criminalizing abortion even in cases of rape, it only serves to elect Democrats.

BradTank on November 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Since Cuccinelli is a Republican and was the first to file against Obamacare, where were all of the Republicans campaigning for him?

Too busy rooting for McAuliffe perhaps? He had Obama, Biden, Hillary & Bill all supporting him.

Ron Paul, former Congressman rallied with Cuccinelli with a fine speech. Mark Levin devoted over 2 hours on his radio show last evening. And now Levin is still at it on tonight’s show.

Oh, I forgot. The Republicans are saving all of their money and support to campaign against any Tea Party Candidate or Conservative that may run for office. And they are also threatening Businesses that dare work with the Senate Conservative Fund.

I wonder what I should do with the donation request from the RNC?
Hmmmm…