Politico: Hey, it’s really Republican sabotage causing Obamacare’s problems

posted at 7:21 pm on November 1, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

From the former Vanity Fair reporter Bill Clinton once called a “slimy scumbag” comes this left-wing fever dream dressed up as a news piece:

To the undisputed reasons for Obamacare’s rocky rollout — a balky website, muddied White House messaging and sudden sticker shock for individuals forced to buy more expensive health insurance — add a less acknowledged cause: calculated sabotage by Republicans at every step.

That may sound like a left-wing conspiracy theory — and the Obama administration itself is so busy defending the indefensible early failings of its signature program that it has barely tried to make this case. But there is a strong factual basis for such a charge.

It’s admittedly, according to Purdum, akin to a left-wing conspiracy theory that even a desperate White House with no compunction about smearing Republicans hasn’t stooped to using, so reporters at Politico are taking care of it for them. In Purdum’s telling of the story, the GOP is guilty of such dastardly moves as not voting for Obamacare and, gasp!, going to the courts with challenges to it. Many governors opted to have the feds build an exchange for them, which the law allowed and Obama did nothing to prevent by building consensus and buy-in for the law. As usual, among the press, President Obama deserves to be spared even the routine machinations, opposition, and negotiations that come with our form of government.

You have a friend who is a lifelong couch potato with diabetes and a heart problem. He declares his intention to run a marathon with no training whatsoever. You advise him against this, fearing he won’t be able to handle it and hurt himself. He runs the marathon, almost dies at Mile 16, and then blames you for not carrying him 26.2 miles. This is the GOP’s obligation to Obamacare, a law it had no hand in passing because it was afraid of exactly this meltdown.

Then there’s this bit of actual fantasy:

The drama culminated on the eve of the open enrollment date of Oct. 1. Congressional Republicans shut down the government, disrupting last-minute planning and limiting the administration’s political ability to prepare the public for the likelihood of potential problems, because it was in a last-ditch fight to defend the president’s biggest legislative accomplishment.

As we all know, the shutdown did not affect Obamacare, its funding, or its rollout, and the administration knew a month before the shutdown about the problems plaguing HealthCare.gov. Obama and Democrats could have prevented exactly this shutdown by taking a deal with the GOP for the delay they’re going to end up needing anyway. But Purdum also believes Obama is entitled to an opposition party that makes it their business to optimize his “political ability to prepare the public for the likelihood of potential problems” in his baby boondoggle. Remind me. Did the shutdown prevent the president from giving speeches? Would that it had.

And, finally, if it is indeed GOP sabotage that caused Obamacare’s problems, how does Purdum explain the rolling calamities that are the exchanges in notably un-red states, Maryland, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington? Those states have failed along with the federal exchange, partly because the administration kept them ignorant of important regs and requirements until after November 2012. They sabotaged the legacy to win the presidency.

Comments

They’ve got nothing left. Of course the media will duly foloow along.
/Bishop

LeftCoastRight on November 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM

LeftCoastRight on November 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Perfect.

de rigueur on November 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I’m beginning to feel sorry for them as they are so pathetic.

gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Damn Oreo cookies making Rosie O’Donnell fat!

hillsoftx on November 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I think we all know this is the newest meme out of the Obama regime.

Also is there a communist/fascist/progressive/leftist plan that inevitably fails that is not blamed or someone or something that is to be blamed for the 100% failure rate of their grand ideas?

jukin3 on November 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM

beginning to feel sorry for them as they are so pathetic. gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Don’t. This people would cart you off in cattle cars if they could.

wolly4321 on November 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

(these)

wolly4321 on November 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Trial balloon.

mjbrooks3 on November 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Being a leftist reporter frees you from the obligation to make sense.

Aitch748 on November 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM

They put this excuse out there because polling shows there are likely Americans who will believe this.

DaveDief on November 1, 2013 at 7:41 PM

All that suckage. The GOP MUST be behind this.

They are not called the ‘stupid party’ for….

oh wait….

KirknBurker on November 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

OT…(this place will start smelling like fish…in 5…4…3…2..)
oh!…and the Dems know nothing of sabotage!….they wrote the book!

KOOLAID2 on November 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM

They all have to talk to the Data Hub for subsidy values, and that part is broken; I think they don’t actually have numbers, maybe they are figuring them as the requests come in. They have to people from Google…you know…the googlyplex…figuring the numbers.

Fleuries on November 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Who’s the sever lookin babe?

Akzed on November 1, 2013 at 7:46 PM

From one of the commenters from the Politico story:

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, “Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don’t know where I am.”

The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, “You’re in a hot air balloon, approximately 30 feet above ground elevation of 2,346 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude.

She rolled her eyes and said, “You must be a Republican.

“I am,” replied the man. “How did you know?”

“Well,” answered the balloonist, “everything you told me is technically correct. But I have no idea what to do with your information, and I’m still lost. Frankly, you’ve not been much help to me.”

The man smiled and responded, “You must be an Obama-Democrat.”

“I am,” replied the balloonist. “How did you know?”

“Well,” said the man, “you don’t know where you are — or where you are going. You’ve risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. You’re in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but somehow, now it’s my fault ! “

Erich66 on November 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

ObamaCare…a victim…
Democrats…victims…
Obama Presidency…a victim…

Liberals always use the victim card sooner or later.

albill on November 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Don’t these people ever accept responsibility for their screw ups? Stop the blame games.

Amazingoly on November 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Dumbest f-ing people o the planet.

VorDaj on November 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Computer code is racist.

VorDaj on November 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM

and of course he gives no example of any democrat “fix” that republicans blocked.

chasdal on November 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

the real problem is most of the democrat following will believe this cow manure

RonK on November 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I find myself agreeing with Clinton for once. Purdum is a slimy scum-bag.

GarandFan on November 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Agreed. The apocalyptic shutdown resulted in 3.5 years of preparation coming unglued to the point of system incomprehensibility, and the GOP also managed to go back in time to make Bark say “You can keep your current plan” multiple times.

What a sad, pathetic group of jerking monkeys over on the left, how embarrassing to be one of them.

Bishop on November 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Some authoritarians blame jews; others blame republicans.

lorien1973 on November 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM

ummmm…..yeah, okay….

right2bright on November 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM

An evil term from the history of murderous collectivism:

“Wreckers”

ebrown2 on November 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I’m beginning to feel sorry for them as they are so pathetic.

gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Feel sorry, GG (wyan), just don’t quit pounding the stake until it’s all the way through. We can wring our hands at the senselessness of it all after the devil’s dead.

Axe on November 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Axe on November 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I still want to pound them into dust.

It’s like when you see someone who is making a fool out of themselves you can’t help but be embarrassed for them. That’s how I feel with all these pathetic liberals.

gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM

gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM

A pink and beating heart is a good thing. :)

Axe on November 1, 2013 at 8:14 PM

From one of the commenters from the Politico story:

She rolled her eyes and said, “You must be a Republican.

“I am,” replied the man. “How did you know?”

The man smiled and responded, “You must be an Obama-Democrat.”

“I am,” replied the balloonist. “How did you know?”

Erich66 on November 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

There is no lake or rivers there. Why was the Republican in a boat?

Johnnyreb on November 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I seriously think it’s time we start punching leftists in the head.

Let’s start with reporters and lawyers, and work our way up from there.

Thomas More on November 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM

There is no lake or rivers there. Why was the Republican in a boat?

Johnnyreb on November 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM

He was cleaning the interior of it out in his driveway- since he worked hard he can afford his own awesome boat.

Kristamatic on November 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM

“Always with the negative waves Moriarty, ALWAYS with the negative waves! Oh, man. Don’t hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning.”

myiq2xu on November 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Megyn Kelly is covering this story now.

Baa baa liberal sheeple.

Philly on November 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Yes, the rollout fiasco is completely my fault…

Too funny…

Khun Joe on November 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM

The American people are free to do exactly what they are told.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on November 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I’m beginning to feel sorry for them as they are so pathetic.

gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

WTF, GG?

Remember Conan:

“Crush jor enemies; zee zem scattered before you . Hear the lamamentations uff da vimmin.”

No quarter, ever.

It’s how they play the game.

Never forget it.

Bruno Strozek on November 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM

What happens if the courts rule that federal money cannot be used to subsidize those that buy insurance in 36 states through the federal exchange?

slickwillie2001 on November 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM

There is no lake or rivers there. Why was the Republican in a boat?
Johnnyreb on November 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I thought this was a great story.
If you are correct, and so much smarter than me about this..I am thoroughly embarrassed!!!

marybel on November 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Republicans sabotaging Obamacare?

OBAMACARE IS THE SABOTAGE.

And the Dems and the president are the saboteurs.

Rich H on November 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM

This Vanity Fair author is married to Dee Dee Meyers. Who did she work for again?

Marcus on November 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Putin ObamaDonkeyDemFail

Putin weighs in.

Not pretty. Hard to watch….

Key West Reader on November 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

slickwillie2001 on November 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Harumph. Somebody done blowed up that whole system!

/Barry

Key West Reader on November 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I’m beginning to feel sorry for them as they are so pathetic.

gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

No pity!

No mercy!!

Solaratov on November 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Marcus on November 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

The team who invented of the “Vast Right Wing Conspiracy”.

smoothsailing on November 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I’m beginning to feel sorry for them as they are so pathetic.

gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

They’re pathetic alright. But I don’t pity them. Like Rush says, they’re the most dangerous when they’re cornered. Listen to some of the rhetoric coming from these people GopherGirl. If they had the chance they’d execute a bunch of us for not being able to assimilate. Exaggeration? I don’t think so. I honestly think some of them dream about doing that very thing to Limbaugh or Beck or Palin. Cruz and Walker getting no crap death threats?

Buck up. No pity.

smoothsailing on November 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I asked my friend’s father why he left Cuba for the US. He said that he was a believer in Castro’s message until it actually came time to implement what he had been talking about prior to the revolution.

Then he realized that leftist dictators always need a scapegoat. They always need a boogeyman to blame for their own shortcomings. They project their inadequacies onto their political enemies. He said he realized then that America wasn’t the problem with Cuba, Castro was.

Defenestratus on November 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I’m beginning to feel sorry for them as they are so pathetic.

gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

No pity!

No mercy!!

Solaratov on November 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Sweep the leg!

mankai on November 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM

chasdal on November 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Must have been all the republicans gall to vote no on Obowmacare even though 70% of the country hates the crappy bill that raises premiums, loses doctors and eliminated coverage for millions, all at a piddley cost of 2.8 trillion dollars so far.

Remember, Harry Reid CHANGED the voting rules to deem the bill passed so he could get less than the 60 votes required to pass it as Obowma flat out LIED about not increasing costs, keeping your plan, not losing doctors; all are LIES.

dthorny on November 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I still want to pound them into dust.

gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Trying to defeat the enemy while keeping a heart of flesh.
Tough road to tread sometimes.

22044 on November 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM

And, finally, if it is indeed GOP sabotage that caused Obamacare’s problems…

The Soviet commissars and apparatchiks blamed everything that did not go exactly according to The Five Year Plan on sabotage by capitalists and counter-revolutionaries.

The Dems, America’s socialist party, their commissars political operatives, and their apparatchiks in the MSM, are trying to blame problems with Obamacare on their version of counter-revolutionaries, Republicans and the hated Tea Party.

They are even blaming the health insurance comapnies for the cancelled health care plans. The evil greedy bastards were either offering “sub-standard” plans to their poor unsuspecting victims (health insurance purchasers) and practically taking their money for nothing, or they are too greedy, money hungry, and uncaring to offer Obamacare “compliant” health insurance plans at the same price as the old plans.

The fundamental ans essential socialism of America’s modern neo-socialists has never been more obviously and openly on display. And, being the liars everyone should ow know they are, they even continue to deny they are socialists.

farsighted on November 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Politico is giving the republicans way too much credit for being smart and not enough blame to democrats for being so stupid

jaywemm on November 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Nothing prevents the president from giving speeches. He’s the speech-matron, I wish I had a dollar for every one he’s given since early 2006. And it would be interesting to see a comparison of his speeches to see how many times he uses the same catch phrases like er, umm, let me be clear, if you like your health care, blah, blah, blah. he sounds like the teacher in the Charlie .brown cartoons to me.

scalleywag on November 1, 2013 at 11:09 PM

GOP only wishes they could do something like this and be this successful.

tommer74 on November 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM

The Praetorian Guard don’t want to go down with their emperor. Its in Politicos best interest to provide cover to their boss. After all, they’ve been doing it since day one and have no intention of stopping. Once a liberal hack organization always a liberal hack organization.

neyney on November 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM

He runs the marathon, almost dies at Mile 16

Great analogy, although mile 1 might be more appropriate.

MT on November 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM

This is the most illogical attempt at spinning a turd and nobody buys it. Wait until next summer when the effects of the employee mandate are exposed. Things are going to get ugly.

Ellis on November 2, 2013 at 12:10 AM

The Obamas, I am told by several reliable sources, have never paid any taxes nor filed any returns.

Now pass me the peanut butter to smear my toast with.

Well, I know for sure Obama picks his nose on TV, has little or no coordination, doesn’t know the difference between Veteran’s Day and Memorial Day, can’t pronounce “corpsman”, puts his feet on his desk, has a dog named after himself, used to smoke marihuana, ate dog and snake, and someone else can complete this list please.

Sherman1864 on November 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Yes, that’s right, Republicans are to blame for noticing from the start that Obamacare is too big to succeed.

Knott Buyinit on November 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Kristamatic on November 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM

*applauds*

inviolet on November 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Forget that, many in the supposed OPPOSITION believe this.

Some authoritarians blame jews; others blame republicans.

lorien1973 on November 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM

This is remarkably like the Chavista strategy of blaming foreign saboteurs for things like the toilet paper shortages and breakdowns of the power grid in Venezuela.

Doomberg on November 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM

The witch’s evil eye sours the milk; that’s how left-wingers think about right-wingers.

David Blue on November 2, 2013 at 3:44 AM

“Who’s on first, What is on second, I Don’t Know is on third”

Abbott and Costello comedy.

Obama is third base “I Don’t Know” so I will refer to him as “Third Base” from now on.

hamradio on November 2, 2013 at 4:57 AM

It’s less a criticism of Republicans than it is a call for fascism.

RadClown on November 2, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Friendly reminder from CNN: Senate Democrats killed a 2010 GOP proposal to let more people keep their plans. Liberals don’t have enough intelligence to straighten this mess out. And by the way, who is running this country. Obama has been absent for five years now. I wish someone would tell me.

tmgrant on November 2, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Hey, Politico is actually a left wing propaganda machine protecting its leader.

rplat on November 2, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Who is the dopey constipated-looking chick in the photo?

Jaibones on November 2, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Harumph. Somebody done blowed up that whole system!

/Barry
BAMSTAHHHHH!!!!!!!! YOU DA MANNN BAMMMMY BABBBBYY !!!! LOVE YA BARRY OL BUDDY OL PALLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Key Reader on November 1, 2 at 41 PM

cableguy615 on November 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I’m beginning to feel sorry for them as they are so pathetic.

gophergirl on November 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I always feel sorry when I shoot a deer. Then I gut them and put them in the truck.

claudius on November 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Who is the dopey constipated-looking chick in the photo?

Jaibones on November 2, 2013 at 8:18 AM
?

diogenes on November 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

The “Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy” strikes again!

mad scientist on November 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM

“…it’s really Republican sabotage causing Obamacare’s problems”

Buy a clue, honey buns. Republicans ain’t that smart.

locomotivebreath1901 on November 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Accepting responsibility for one’s actions is far beyond the mindset of liberals. Why be accountable when it’s much more fun to blame others?

stuartm80127 on November 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM

President Obama put his name on the plan and has touted Obama Care is or will be his means of gaining control over the lives of all of U.S. and in the end will Chair the Death Panel, as he seeks to maintain his Monarchy.

Impeach him under RICO laws because Obama Care illegally enslaves U.S. and the Industries that profit or rely on it for their existence.

MSGTAS on November 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM

diogenes on November 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

That’s not nice. Some of those horses are quite attractive.

trigon on November 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM

This has been the excuse du jour for almost every liberal I’ve discussed ObamaCare with. Blame the GOP and all their belly-aching and whining and sabotaging the ACA rollout…and if those same nasty “Rethuglicans” didn’t shut down the government, the website problems could have been fixed in a couple days.

If anything, the Left provides hours and hours of entertainment with all their nonsense.

JetBoy on November 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM

A somewhat decent analogy – but if my “friend” is a metaphor for Obamacare – then you’re giving him way too much credit for getting to Mile 16. We all know my friend collapsed at the Starting Line.

Hill60 on November 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Whether it is Russia, Cuba, Venezuela or America, when the government controlled economy fails, the failure is always blamed on the “wrecking” done by the counter-revolutionaries. It was a lie when Lenin said it. It was a lie when Castro said it. It was a lie when Chavez said and it is a lie when Politico says it.

KW64 on November 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

The California site, coveredca.com, is down for individual policy applications. If you try you get a “connection reset” page.

unclesmrgol on November 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM