Breaking: Multiple people shot at security checkpoint at LAX; Update: One dead; Update: Photo of weapon; Update: Gunman identified

posted at 1:21 pm on November 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

The cable news nets are all over it as I write this. Early details:

A gunman opened fire at a security checkpoint Friday morning at Los Angeles International Airport, injuring a Transportation Security Administration employee and prompting a terminal evacuation.

A TSA spokesperson told NBC4 the shooting occurred at a security checkpoint. A traveler told NBC4 she heard gunfire in Tom Bradley Terminal, where she was preparing to board a flight to Mexico aboard Virgin America.

A medical triage area was established outside the terminal…

Details regarding the status of the gunman were not immediately available. Pugh told NBC4 he believes the gunman was in custody.

Fox News aired video at around 1 p.m. ET of a TSA officer, with blood on one of his hands, walking with a cop in armor. He had to sit down next to an overpass wall but the fact that he was on his feet initially is, I take it, a good sign.

Two of the “Mythbusters” guys were there when it all went down:

If it really was a rifle instead of a handgun, then I assume it was pre-planned rather than a confrontation that got out of hand when a concealed weapon was discovered by security. Just a hunch, though. Stand by for updates.

Update: I don’t think I’ve ever blogged a story about a mass shooting that didn’t include, at some point, a report that there’s more than one suspect. So, grain of salt on this, but here’s something from CBS LA:

Same guy says there are four wounded.

Update: “Pre-planned” hunch looking stronger:

Update: “Preliminary indications show that the suspect(s) was targeting TSA employees, according to Miller.”

Update: A little more from NBC LA.

Initial reports indicated that a gunman approached a document checker, then pulled a firearm and fired one shot at the security officer, according to NBC’s Pete Williams.

Pugh told NBC4 he believes the gunman was in custody, but authorities have not confirmed details.

“He ran across the tarmac to get away and was put on ground and cuffed,” Pugh said.

That makes it sound like the weapon was concealed. There are some reports on Twitter that he used not a rifle but a shotgun, which would be easier to conceal. On the other hand, CNN says that “multiple” shots were fired in “rapid succession.” Nothing certain yet.

Update: Okay, gun experts. What is it?

Update: A source tells CNN that the suspect is indeed in custody, and that he was shot.

Update: Awful news from Pete Williams: A TSA agent who was shot has died.

Update: Here’s a better look at the weapon. The LAPD will hold a presser at 2:30 ET, but in the meantime they say that one suspect is in custody. I haven’t heard anything about a manhunt for another so maybe the initial report about two suspects was — surprise — wrong.

Update: Workplace violence?

Update: Not workplace violence?

Update: NBC says it knows who the gunman is and that he may have been motivated by “anti-government views” based on written material he was carrying. What that means exactly, I don’t know, but the left has been waiting two and a half years, since the story behind the Tucson shooting fell apart on them, to try its “conservatism equals murderous insanity” narrative again. We’ll see what the “materials” say.

The gunman, identified by law-enforcement officials as 23-year-old Paul Anthony Ciancia, was shot by law enforcement and taken into custody in critical condition. The motive is not clear but it’s believed he had anti-government views based on written materials he was carrying, the officials said.

Federal officials told NBC News it was unclear whether Ciancia was targeting the TSA or was trying to shoot his way through to get further into the airport. But one witness said the shooter, who calmly walking through the terminal with his weapon, approached him with a one-word question.

“All he said was, ‘TSA?’ Just like that,” Leon Saryan told MSNBC.

Update: The AP says Ciancia had a note stating that he wanted to “kill TSA and pigs,” but that’s all they have right now.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

dentarthurdent on November 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I think all we lack now is brand. ; )

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Madam, how well is that going with getting the politicians listening to us? Until they do, I’ll treat those workers who violate my constitutional rights the same they treat me. Golden rule and all that. “I was just following orders and needed a paycheck” doesn’t really work as an excuse since Nuremburg.

oryguncon on November 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Dittos.
I’ve got all the respect in the world for those who do the job properly.
But that respect disappears fast for any of them who go power-mad and abuse people – as with the NPS SS recently – and “just following orders” doesn’t cut it. Anyone in any E type position caught abusing their power should be immediately fired, at a minimum.

dentarthurdent on November 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I think all we lack now is brand. ; )
Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Not likely to get that from a photo. Ya have to get pretty close, and I need my reading glasses as well to see the name on it. And with the customization available, there’s just no telling from what’s on it.

dentarthurdent on November 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Yep. I gave the Gold Trophy to eon. He wasn’t the first to say AR. He was the most thorough. ; )

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Well, I sure couldn’t tell from the first photos pixels just too blurry for me – and made the fore-end look kind of brown.

dentarthurdent on November 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I’m sure Bloomy, Nanzi, Feinswine, and all will be going off the deep end any time now.

dentarthurdent on November 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

dentarthurdent on November 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Yep. It was at best just a guess. Definitely not enough pixels. Interestingly when PolAgnostic ran his filter set on the photo it brought up a red hue. I think that is why folks were thing mini. The gas block is a possible id on brand. ; )

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

thing = thinking. ; )

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Serious question: what caliber would you guys recommend?

WhatSlushfund on November 2, 2013 at 7:46 AM

.35 Whelen

rogerb on November 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Something tells me Allah will never look back here to see who guessed the closest.

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM

.35 Whelen

rogerb on November 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Well rogerb, I figured I would be the only .35 guy on the board. ; )

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

.35 Whelen

rogerb on November 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Well rogerb, I figured I would be the only .35 guy on the board. ; )

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

You can tell the wildcat folks.

You just can’t tell them much.

rogerb on November 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

You can tell the wildcat folks.
You just can’t tell them much.

rogerb on November 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I always heard that as New Yorkers…..

dentarthurdent on November 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Lolz! ; )

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM

dentarthurdent on November 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Thanks, BMore. I’m honored.

As for color, D, I tend to ignore it. I’ve looked at enough surveillance-camera footage in my time to know that most of them have sucky color balance, and printing or pixilation just makes it worse. I go by overall shape and then look for details. which is how “i donnit” here.

;-)

cheers

eon

eon on November 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM

eon on November 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM

: ) Congrats! Glad you saw your win. ; ) Would you like to guess brand? Lolz!

Bmore on November 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

dentarthurdent on November 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

With the new photo, it is clearly an AR-15 flat top variant. The front and rear flip-up BUIS look to be Magpul but there are still two things which are odd.

The gas block appears to be higher than the flat top rail and the ejection port is MUCH bigger than the mil-spec .223/5.56.

These two things have me thinking this rifle was built from parts.

Which means it woouldn’t have a “brand” per se.

PolAgnostic on November 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Breaking: Ciancia graduated in 2008 from Salesianum School, an all-boys Roman Catholic school in Wilmington.

Salesianum School has a history of serial child molestation by priests.

Terp Mole on November 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM

S&W

Bmore on November 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM

PROOF: It’s a FALSE FLAG hoaxed DHS/FEMA Active Shooter Drill that they took live.

1. Watch the video of the TSA-dressed DUMMY in the wheel chair being pushed with armed police escort. This is ridiculous! Is America this stupid? http://youtu.be/HETLdHZO-7k

2. Nick Pugh shows up again! He was a crucial eye witness that saw the planes crash into the buildings on 9/11 and came on camera with a full script. And now he shows up as not only a crucial witness at LAX but also he says he was handcuffed by the TSA. Really? How does one guy have such luck to be at both of these terror events? This doesn’t happen in real life. http://youtu.be/EdMBLxdAzWQ

3. The picture of the DUMMY on the floor that is supposed to the shooter Mr. Ciancia has so much wrong with it. Look at this picture from the New York Post. http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/shoot-pic-3.jpg Look at the pool of blood…the red stuff has separated from the water. It’s not blood. Fake blood separates like this…look at the wetness surrounding the gooey red ‘blood’ spot. And check out the dummy’s arms. They are all flat and mangled. They are sticking out way under the body. And another thing…the clothing is all wrong. One of the witnesses said he was dressed as TSA. Another report said he was dressed in fatigues. This dummy is in khakis and a brown shirt. It’s a dummy with fake blood.

Really? Come on, people. You are so much smarter than this. Please check this stuff out!

Mo2Do on November 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM

PolAgnostic on November 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

LAT Id’d it as a S&W M&P-15,
The M&P-15 has a gas block rail at the same height as the flat-top rail, which gives it a slightly different look.
Also, you can’t use the usual “gas-block” flip-up as the top of the sight-post will be too high, causing you to shoot “low”.

Another Drew on November 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM