Video: White House intimidating insurers into staying quiet on the ObamaCare debacle?

posted at 12:01 pm on October 30, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

It could be worse, as Audrey Hudson can tell you.  All these insurers are getting are phone calls, not raids by the Maryland State Police seizing their notes on government malfeasance.  CNN’s Anderson Cooper reports that the insurers want to get the real story out about why millions of people will have their policies cancelled, and how they tried to warn HHS of this unnecessary outcome.  For now, they’re outsourcing the job to Robert Laszewski (via Daniel Halper):

“What is going on is, behind the scenes attempt by the White House to at least keep insurerers from publicly criticizing what is happening on this Affordable Care Act rollout. Basically, if you speak out, if you are quoted, you’re going to get a call from the White House, pressure to be quiet,” reports CNN.

“Several sources tell me and my colleague Chris Frates that insurance executives are being told to keep quiet. [The head of] a consulting firm for big insurance and an out spoken critic of Obamacare says he is getting calls from these executives who want him to speak out, Anderson, for them about the problems because they feel defenseless against the White House PR team. … the White House is exerting massive pressure on the industry, including the trade associations, to keep quiet. Sources telling us they fear White House retribution.”

Why are they so intimidated? Because the federal government is their biggest customer.  If that doesn’t point out the issues of crony capitalism and transparency on the uses and abuses of power, I’d hate to have to experience a clearer one.

By the way, I’ll have Audrey Hudson on my show this afternoon to give TEMS viewers a first-person perpective on real intimidation.  Maybe a few of these executives can watch and find their intestinal fortitude.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Thank you for featuring this Putean thuggery.

How low the USA has fallen.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

This is what tyranny looks like, folks.

UltimateBob on October 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

What are odds of a Bob Laszewski car crash?

aquaviva on October 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

“Chicago is . . . my kind of town” Sing it again!

Scotsman on October 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Brace yourself, Ed. We still have 3 more years of 0bama.

You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet.

UltimateBob on October 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM

White House intimidating insurers into staying quiet on the ObamaCare debacle?

Well of course – if don’t go along then Obama will unleash the IRS and Eric Holder….
I can’t wait to hear the truth after this gang of Marxists are history.

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yes, Putin can and he will. Yesterday Putin affirmed his love for the communist youth, no kidding.

obama let him. Still, obama and Nurse Ratched/Sibelius think they are the gov’t, no matter what the laws are, or will be.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

If phone calls don’t work I’m sure the IRS can fix that…

PatriotRider on October 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

This is what tyranny looks like, folks.

UltimateBob on October 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Mark Levin is right.

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

You better speak up, insurers. Otherwise you may not even be in existence in a few years.

Doughboy on October 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

The stupid world awakens

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Ask Jamie Dimon why they ought to feel intimidated.

Why would the insurance companies say anything bad now anyway? They bought this crap sandwich and were part of the propaganda machine that sold it to Congress in order to get 30 million new healthy customers padding their profits. Kinda hard for them to whine about it now.

Besides, it looks like the people so far are blaming Obama and not them for their policies being cancelled.

rockmom on October 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

At this point, it would be a surprise if this wasn’t happening. McBarry LostMyHomeWork Bystander finally being exposed as the fraud that he is, of course he’s going to go to the only tools he knows how to use.

oldroy on October 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I would avoid Fort Marcy Park, Mr. Laszewski. People who become problems for proponents of Government Health Care have a strange urge to commit suicide there. It comes on all sudden-like.

Vanceone on October 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Bob, stay clear of ft marcy park, capice?

t8stlikchkn on October 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Single Payer

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM

rockmom on October 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I’ve changed my position on that with the caveat that I do not know if the grandfathered plans can still be sold to new people and if so, do they still come with the restriction of not being able to refuse per-existing conditions.

Since the plans can be grandfathered as long as the only change to them is the premium, I do not see any good reason to cancel them.

astonerii on October 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM

What a lot of you are forgetting is that these jackhole insurance company execs were all in for Obastardcare. They were pushing it and telling everyone how great it was. Now they’re getting leaned on by the dick-tator they were in bed with? Pardon me if I feel no sympathy as these are the same scummy bastards who sold us out. These d-bags are the same d-bags as the press. Sorry you sleep with dogs you get fleas.

bbinfl on October 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Vince Foster and Chris Stevens were unavailable for comment.

Steve Z on October 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

The worse this situation gets, the more dangerous this administration will become.

KCB on October 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM

rockmom on October 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Ditto.

We’re supposed to feel bad for insurance companies since they’re feeling sharp elbows?

VibrioCocci on October 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM

astonerii on October 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I believe the comments in the July 23, 2010 FR covered this answer. An existing plan can be grandfathered. A new policy cannot be grandfathered. That was fleshed out by the OMB in their assessment that over 10 million people would effectively loose their policies in the first two years by virtue of the 40% to 67% turnover rate that is typical of individual policies.

DanMan on October 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM

The greed of the insurance companies thinking they were about to add millions to their accounts receivable in exchange for some free Sham-Wow advertising—mix em all together and we are left with a huge turd sammich. Thanks low info voters–you own it.

hillsoftx on October 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM

And because HHS has been granted absolute regulatory control over them. HHS is the equivalent of the East German Stasi with its relationship to insurers.

NotCoach on October 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM

astonerii on October 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM

The revenue model from old plans cannot sustain what the new plans must cover—they have to have super-sized enrollment numbers from the jacked-up rate plans. Clear and simple. They are not going to hit those targets based upon 1st month numbers. Someone needs to yell “T I M B E R”….cause it’s coming down.

hillsoftx on October 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM

bbinfl on October 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I haven’t forgotten that. Crony capitalism at its worst. They wanted the individual mandate because it compelled dollars into their pockets.

NotCoach on October 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Bmore, notes for you, here

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM

First they came for the Tea Party and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t part of the Tea Party.
Then they came for the Fox News Reporters and I didn’t speak out because I didn’t work for Faux News.
Then they came for me…

txhsmom on October 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Nice health insurance company you have there….

Would be a shame if if had its knee caps shot off.

txdoc on October 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Someone needs to yell “T I M B E R”….cause it’s coming down.

hillsoftx on October 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I agree, and probably sooner than expected. But what will be left? And how soon can this be corrected? I think the damage is done.

oldroy on October 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM

In Utopia, fear is always the tool of the State.

I can’t wait for the creation of the Ministry of Love, and the Minister of Love’s cabinet position.

Tyranny and fear are coming to America.

With each passing day.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Head of intimidated insurance company:
“Quick! Send more political donations to the Obama library fund, the Democrat Party Headquarters and any other Democrat Congress member overseeing ObamaCare!!!”

albill on October 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I’m amazed that a cancelled insurance policy holder has not gone postal yet…

PatriotRider on October 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM

You can keep your insurance company, if you like it.

faraway on October 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Million man “Cancelled Insurance Policy” march on Washington…

albill on October 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

This is apropos:

Milton Friedman has it exactly right. Are politicians really any more virtuous?

Jeff Weimer on October 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Million man “Cancelled Insurance Policy” march on Washington…

Well at least we know there are enough of them to have a million show up…

PatriotRider on October 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I’m amazed that a cancelled insurance policy holder has not gone postal yet…

PatriotRider on October 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM

That will happen in ’015. After the foodstamp riots of ’013, and the immigration riots of ’014.

oldroy on October 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM

If insurance execs are cowering now wait until their only customer is the government.

DanMan on October 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Given the mass media’s coverage of recent events, it’s unfathomable to me how this guy and his party have an approval rating any greater than Al Qaeda.

Truly frightening.

Common Sense Floridian on October 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Reminds me of the Niemöller quotation:

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me–and there was no one left to speak for me.

Gotcha on October 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Gulags can’t be far off.

Murphy9 on October 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Truly frightening.

Common Sense Floridian on October 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Most people don’t pay attention until it directly affects them. Give it just a couple more months. There is 20 or 30 million Americans that are going to suddenly become politically aware.

oldroy on October 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM

BCBS [Exxon, Wal-Mart, etc.] can’t put me in prison, they can’t take my property, they can’t take my children… government can do all that.

I like to keep reminding people of this core fact.

mankai on October 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Gulags can’t be far off.

Murphy9 on October 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I’d save a window seat for you, except that there probably won’t be seats on the train.

oldroy on October 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Obama administration to soon replace Insurance CEO’s with more, uh, cooperative people, just like they did with GM.

txhsmom on October 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM

NotCoach on October 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

He “stuffed their mouths with gold.”

Jeff Weimer on October 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM

The government is now the KGB. Thanks a lot Democrats

neyney on October 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

oldroy on October 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I won’t be getting on any train. It would be my duty to take at least one with me.

Murphy9 on October 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

NotCoach on October 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

What is that old saying about voting for it and now they deserve to get it good and hard. Karma is one mean female dog.

bbinfl on October 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Hospitals took the bait too, thinking that Obamacare would rid them of the problem of free riders. Surprise!

txhsmom on October 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

We need Dave Rywall here to straighten all this out.

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Sources telling us they fear White House retribution.

Bigger government is better!

Chris of Rights on October 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM

This mans approval should be in the 20s at most. The American people should be calling for his impeachment right now.

Jack_Burton on October 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM

It’s the Chicago way! “Nice little insurance company yous have here. It’d be a shame if somethin’ happened to it if you was to squeal.”

michaelo on October 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Murphy9 on October 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

But you’ll love the choo choo ride. The scenery is really pretty [through the bars], and the destination is like nothing you’ve ever seen before. And you’ll have lots of company. And it’s not too bad, standing. The smell of the cowshit and hay is intoxicating.

And I’ve heard that they’ll let you take one suitcase, of your most valuable possessions – you know, your healthcare access verification card, your food ration card – things like that.

Utopia is a wondrous place – don’t be afraid.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM

White House intimidating insurers into staying quiet on the ObamaCare debacle?

I can’t wait to hear the truth after this gang of Marxists are history.

What makes you think these thugs are going to depart the scene quietly? The Constitution and legal code have been ignored so far, don’t you think it in the realm of possibility that they pull another major stunt near the end of his highness’ term?

Boats48 on October 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Yeah, I bet people on expensive medications are having trouble getting them right now.
Even if they have a plan that will killed on Dec 31, 2013.

I think the pharmacies are sand bagging for fear of not getting paid into 2014…..

I am looking for a plan that will still pay for my expensive medication but I cannot get any answers.

My sister in-law will be in a life/death situation and she can’t get any answers.

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM

If CVS tells me to go to hell, like it or leave it, I walk across the street to Walgreen’s… If the DMV tells me to go to hell, like it or leave it, if I wanna drive, I’d better like it… If the federal government tells me to go to hell, if I don’t want my property siezed, my children taken away or be put in prison, where do I go?

mankai on October 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM

White House intimidating insurers into staying quiet on the ObamaCare debacle?

I can’t wait to hear the truth after this gang of Marxists are history.
Boats48 on October 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Then the shit will hit the fan. It won’t stand. Nothing will stop 50,000,000 pissed off armed citizens. Nothing.

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I guess we can’t sue the government, Obama, Sebelius, etc directly, eh?

How about a big whopping class action suit against the insurance companies themselves, for participating in the willful and fraudulent destruction of the economy and widespread theft/extortion of money from the citizens?

Maybe give them something to worry about and make them less reluctant to cooperate with the DC tyrants.

Midas on October 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM

mankai on October 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Ojackass and his apologists are now officially tyrants, and will double down on tyranny, like they have with everything else.

Akzed on October 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

er, less LIKELY to cooperate; MORE reluctant to cooperate.

*sigh*

Midas on October 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I guess we can’t sue the government, Obama, Sebelius, etc directly, eh?

Midas on October 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Jack_Burton on October 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I got my free phone and EBT card! Besides, Republicans are all old, rich white guys who secretly want to bring back slavery.

/the 47%

mankai on October 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Romney is back!

Wigglesworth on October 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM

where do I go?

mankai on October 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM

On the offensive. A place not many wish to go.

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM

The Constitution has been subverted for a few years already. Count the scandals for which this president should have already been impeached.

What’s been stopping those pissed off armed citizens so far? What’s going to be the ‘last straw’, so to speak? If you had read off the list of scandals and corruption of the last 5 years to me 10 years ago, I’d have said that we’d have already risen up and taken care of this well before now.

Lately I’m not sure what it will take if the threshold hasn’t already been met.

Midas on October 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I guess we can’t sue the government, Obama, Sebelius, etc directly, eh?

Midas on October 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM

For now, I’ll just keep doing what I’ve been doing for the last
5 years….give them a giant Middle Finger Salute.

Oh, and that goes for all you Dumb as Sh*t Trolls on
here too….

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

ToddPA, my heartfelt condolences. Unfortunately I have a all too keen understanding of your situation.

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

For now, I’ll just keep doing what I’ve been doing for the last
5 years….give them a giant Middle Finger Salute.

Oh, and that goes for all you Dumb as Sh*t Trolls on
here too….

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I’ve been doing that as well. So far, not terribly effective, unfortunately.

Midas on October 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Thanks Bmore. And to others on here, thanks to all of you.

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I’m thinking that “soft tyranny” is now receding in the rear-view mirror…

bofh on October 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Romney is back!

Wigglesworth on October 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Earth-shaking/shattering…meh, good laugh. obama lauded Romney’care’ in Mass. today.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

You’re giving too many citizens too much credit for having any sense at all. Look around you no matter where you live, most of these clowns have no idea nor do they want one. They would rather live on their knees. They’re nothing more than mindless sheep.

bbinfl on October 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Thanks Bmore. And to others on here, thanks to all of you.

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Sorry, what is this all about?

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Unless it has a beachfront view and all the amenities, I’m not going to a gulag.
I for one am going down fighting.
Afterall, there are worse ways to go.

justltl on October 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM

The sad thing is these incredible outrages are not getting much further than a couple of mentions in conservative blogs…
Might already be too late.

neuquenguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Sorry, what is this all about?

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

You want me to email you?

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM

This is what it looks like when a nation is taken over.

paul1149 on October 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM

The insurance companies have been hoisted by their own petard. They signed on to this boondoggle based on promises from Obama that he would be making every single person legally required to buy thier product at inflated premiums and dedcutables. They saw visions of massive profits and returns. Now Barky has pulled the rug out by rolling back the employer and possibly individual mandate. This leaves big insurance on the hook to insure the most costly clients with massive preexisting medical bill yet they lose the gravy of all the healthy people signing up which was to be the source of their profits. In the immortal words of Otter, “You f**ked up, you trusted him”

tommyboy on October 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM

paul1149 on October 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Unfortunately. Yes. From within.

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM

It could be worse, as Audrey Hudson can tell you. All these insurers are getting are phone calls, not raids by the Maryland State Police seizing their notes on government malfeasance.

Or Gibson Guitars.

besser tot als rot on October 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM

RICO!!

right2bright on October 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Thanks Bmore. And to others on here, thanks to all of you.

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Sorry, what is this all about?

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

My Dad passed away last week. We have a large family,
I’m the youngest of 7….he was a WWII Army Air Corp
Vet, flew in B-17′s,
and the most moving thing was the Military Honor Guard.
I do not cry….but I cried….I get very upset when I see
people like McCain…anyone in this country who has been around,
grown up around, and worked with these men of WWII knows they
were tough as HELL, and busted their azzes after the War to
build us into the SuperPower we became…

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I don’t see that happening. Look how much we are putting up with, without even a tax revolt or daily demonstrations. The libs/communists keep gaining ground in leaps and bounds, today’s patriots express our dissatisfaction in conservative blogs.

neuquenguy on October 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Sorry, ToddPA. I missed this.

My sincere condolences to you and family. You and the land lost a great one.

Too bad/sad that he had to witness the dishonor a few weeks ago. His CiC is an incredible azzhole.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM

My condolences, Todd. I lost my dad in ’90, and he was a Navy Corpsman, who made beachheads in the Marshall Islands, Guam, Saipan, Leyte, Luzon and Iwo Jima. On Iwo, he was still only 19. I adored him … so much so … in fact, that the possibility of his death was incomprehensible. I think that I was in shock for at least 2 months. I’d cry at the drop of a hat.

We’ll see them again.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM

ToddPA on October 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Mine too, my wife’s grandmother has cancer and isn’t able to get much in the way of treatment and is basically about to give up the fight because she has no hope.

But then what do you expect when it looks like this government modeled it’s healthcare model after the German Aktion T4 plan.

bbinfl on October 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Gestapo.

rplat on October 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM

So Dear Leader/Valerie owns the insurance companies now…

d1carter on October 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM

BTW, anyone seen Lisa Meyers…?

d1carter on October 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

The Clintons always used parks around DC….I wonder how Valerie does it.

d1carter on October 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I guess this means no email needed.

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Yes but where is the government going to get insurance from? In some cases the supplier has power over the consumer and I think the insurance company have power over their customer the government because it has nowhere else to go for insurance… It is time they stand up and destroy this evil called Obamacare… It was a huge mistake that they lobbied for it the most back in 2009-2010… Now it is time to fix their huge mistake…

mnjg on October 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Now it is time to fix their huge mistake…

mnjg on October 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM

That will happen when hell freezes over.

bbinfl on October 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM

mnjg on October 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I believe the demonizing of Cruz may have been your last chance.

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM