Video: For some strange reason, Sebelius thinks it’d be illegal for her to buy coverage on the ObamaCare exchanges

posted at 2:01 pm on October 30, 2013 by Allahpundit

She already has insurance as a federal employee, ergo, it’s illegal for her to sign up on the exchanges for a newly minted ObamaCare-approved plan. Wait, what?

And so we return once again to the central theme of the last month: Knowing lie or simple incompetence?

eli

It makes clear elsewhere on the website that you don’t need to sign up if you already have insurance through your job, but even there it specifies that “If you’d like to explore Marketplace coverage options you can.” Easy peasy: Just drop your current insurance (and thus forgo the subsidy you get from your employer towards your premiums) and pick up the glorious, expensive “comprehensive” coverage that liberal hacks have been mumbling about all week as a consolation prize for Obama’s big lie about keeping your plan if you like it. As far as I know, the only exclusion Sebelius would face on the exchanges is that she’s not entitled to taxpayer subsidies. She earns too much each year for that. But as lots and lots and lots of Americans are discovering, just because you make too much to qualify for subsidization doesn’t mean you’re exempt from signing up for a plan on the exchanges. Why the Secretary of HHS would suggest anything to the contrary, I have no idea.

Here’s the clip via the Corner. Exit question: Does Sebelius finally decide she wants to spend more time with her family before or after New Year’s?

Comments

I’m guessing before if the website can’t be fixed by the end of November(which by all accounts, it can’t). I listened to some of the hearing this morning and honestly, I’m starting to believe they’re being sincere when they say they don’t know. It doesn’t sound like they have a f’ing clue what they’re doing.

Doughboy on October 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Some animals are more equal than others.

In this case, the “some animals” are pigs.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM

It’s illegal to require your betters to get stuck with what you have. It’s illegal to even suggest it.

Let them eat cake.

oldroy on October 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I’m surprised she didn’t claim it to be a “conflict of interest”.

portlandon on October 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

For those of us who bothered to read the bill before it was passed, every page was cluttered with the phrase “The HHS secretary shall decide…..”

She has the authority to whatever she wants.

esr1951 on October 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

we can easily make her ineligible..….just incarcerate her!

ted c on October 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Kris Held,MD @kksheld

Sebilius utters “Don’t do this to me” when pushed to admit she herself would not purchase insurance from the exchange.We the People agree!

INC on October 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

‘Expensive health care insurance plan… rationing… and unnecessary pain and suffering and a slow and painful death for thee…. but not for me.’ ~ Kathleen Sebellius

thatsafactjack on October 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Isn’t that bill full of language stating the “the HHS Secretary shall deem it necessary to x___________________x”..?.

All’s she has to do is “just deem it” and it shall be as she saith.

ted c on October 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM

esr beat me to it! ++

ted c on October 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM

She’s a liar. I work for the government and I’ve known I could sign up for O-Care at the exchange.

I’m a military retiree working as a civie for the DoD – I opted not to take the healthcare for federal employees and I just use my military TRICARE – along with my wife’s insurance as primary since her employer offers a really good and cheap package.

So Sebelius is lying – she knows she could opt out of her current insurance.

HondaV65 on October 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Reading comprehension issues. She thinks can’t be currently incarcerated means shouldn’t be currently incarcerated.

Bobbertsan on October 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Twitchy has a good rundown of her saying’ “Don’t Do This To Me!” on a hot mike….

America respons “DON’T TREAD ON ME!”

ted c on October 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Let them eat cake.

oldroy on October 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

And I sincerely hope she gets the same result….

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM

esr beat me to it! ++

ted c on October 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Great minds….etc.

esr1951 on October 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM

This harlot heifer can go straight to Gehenna.

Murphy9 on October 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Because she’s not a smart woman.

besser tot als rot on October 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Can’t be currently incarcerated…..might explain her reasoning especially if she thinks she might go to prison.

bgibbs1000 on October 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Funny, my employer was required by the Federal government to send me a letter pointing out that I had the option of dumping my excellent employment-related health insurance, and buy on the ObamaCare exchange instead.

I guess the Federal government doesn’t require HHS to send similar letters.

Realist on October 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM

So Sebelius is lying – she knows she could opt out of her current insurance.

HondaV65 on October 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you vote for Obama? You didn’t think they would lie about this stuff?

Apologies if you aren’t who I think you are…

oldroy on October 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM

we can easily make her ineligible..….just incarcerate her!

ted c on October 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I’ve got a better idea.
What happened last time a self-centered royal said of the peons “let them eat cake”?

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Whitehouse.gov advertising health insurance for 50.00/mo.

ORconservative on October 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Well, Hagel knows nothing about the Defense Department; what kind of a sexist pig are you to hold a woman to a higher standard?

Mr. Bingley on October 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM

can’t be currently incarcerated

Maybe she’s future casting a bit? :-)

nukemhill on October 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Her CONTEMPT for the American people can be seen in her answer.

She is a Washington elitist and is ABOVE the ‘common’ people!

Freddy on October 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Hopey Beer Keg Ad:

Short on Beer Money? Look to Obamacare

By Heather Wilhelm – October 23, 2013
*************************************

******************************************************

Colorado Obamacare ad features 3 bros drinking beer and doing a …
thehighplainspundit.com – 550 × 567 – Search by image
Page by Danny Butcher
*********************

canopfor on October 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM

canopfor on October 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Because, by and large, no one in the Obama Administration or above the middle management level in the professional bureaucracy has paid a price for their lies. The only one’s who have paid a real price are the one’s who are whistleblowing against the Administration and their agenda.

That’s why so many are just flat out lying. There is no penalty for lying to the American people or those in Congress fulfilling their oversight responsibilities.

As long as this pass from the media, from Congress, and from the American people continues, the lies, particularly those for political expediency, will continue.

Athos on October 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Bryan Preston:

Sebelius: The Fact That We Didn’t Do Our Job Doesn’t Mean You Can Escape Obamacare

HHS was supposed to come up with a form that Americans could fill out to claim a hardship exemption from Obamacare’s individual mandate. HHS has had three years, but has not produced that form, so Americans who might seek a hardship exemption cannot even apply for one.

Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-GA) brought this issue up during today’s House hearing with HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. Sebelius offered no mercy to Americans facing hardship due to Obamacare.

Gingrey said “16 million people in the individual market have or will receive cancellation notices stating their health insurance coverage does not meet minimum coverage requirements of the affordable care act. It grants you the power to determine the criteria for hardship exemption. Will you provide all of these individuals a hardship exemption since the affordable care act is taking away their plan? Will do you that?”

Sebelius’ reply: “No, sir.”

The Obama administration has granted exemptions for Congress, unions and corporations, but not for individual Americans.

INC on October 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Top. Men.

Cicero43 on October 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I’m getting a clearer picture of the people with whom Dear Leader surrounds himself…

d1carter on October 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Sebelius’ reply: “No, sir.”

INC on October 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Of course.
For the peons, it’s “let them eat cake”.

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

So she hasn’t read the law either! Great, the blind leading the sheep!

fbcmusicman on October 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM

This woman doesn’t appear to be too tightly wound.

rplat on October 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM

For the peons, it’s “let them eat cake”.

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Exactly.

INC on October 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM

So she hasn’t read the law either! Great, the blind leading the sheep!

fbcmusicman on October 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM

And most of the sheep are also blind….

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I feel so much better that smart and accomplished mangers like Rumsfield and Cheney have been replaced with SMART Power!!!!111!!!elebinty Obama merry band of idiots.

So. Much. Better.

jukin3 on October 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM

For the peons, it’s “let them eat cake”.
dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Exactly.
INC on October 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM

And as I’ve already innsinuated, I’m starting to hope for the same end result….

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM

please oh please get frustrated at how much of a pain in the arse it is to run BIG government and just give up!

WashJeff on October 30, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I think it was the guy with the white mustache, sitting behind and to the side of Sebelius, who fed her the answer she gave that it would be illegal for her to sign up for ObamaCare.

Wendy on October 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Open mic :)

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM

ted c on October 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I hope when she meets her maker, millions of aborted babies whisper this into her ear over and over and over and over and over………………………………………………………

MontanaMmmm on October 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM

WashJeff on October 30, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Utopia is hard but soooo worth it! As for Superselius thinking it’d be illegal for her to buy coverage on the ObamaCare exchanges, that’s a little more complicated (Her spells won’t work on her-duh!)

onomo on October 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM

heh! “Don’t do this to me”

Hey, Don’t do this to US!!!

dont taze me bro on October 30, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I wonder if Madam Syphilitius here was Marie Antoinette in a previous life.
She seems to be actively trying to get the same ending for this life.
If only……

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The fact that the scumhag says “It’s illegal for me to go on the exchange” proves what a Putean system this is.

Roberts, suffocate in your robe, you dog, you. May you never sleep another night, ever.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM

MontanaMmmm on October 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Good stuff, MMm.

It would’ve been a good Twilight Zone episode, too.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Must be a citizen or national (or be lawfully present)

So, if you are not lawfully present, you are unlawfully present. Is the Obama admin admitting that there are, indeed, illegal immigrants?

tdarrington on October 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Why is this not reported? It’s charlatanry pure!!!

They changed the program so the young, up to 24 years see rates for those up to 50, the older, up to 50 see rates of up to 65, and the others see the cheapest rates.

This is illegal, “truth in advertising”.

Sibelius was roasted today on it. NO one reports it in the news.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM

It would’ve been a good Twilight Zone episode, too.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM

At this point, I’d rather see her in an episode of “Saw”, but Twilight Zone would be good also.

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM

This is illegal, “truth in advertising”.
Sibelius was roasted today on it. NO one reports it in the news.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Ahhh, but truth in advertising doesn’t apply to gubmint overlords or politicians – they’re above the law dontcha know…

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Doesn’t stop Congress from getting subsidies.

slickwillie2001 on October 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Better exit question: Does she HAVE a family, and if she does, do THEY want to spend time with HER?

Marcola on October 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

So she is discouraging anyone but the people who can get subsidies to use the exchange?

I see. I think that means the thing will fail.

petunia on October 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM

My first thoughts were of the TZ episodes, where the U-Boat commander kept reliving being on a defenseless ship, waiting for the torpedoes – and where the death camp Commandant kept seeing the people he’d helped to exterminate.

But, Saw works – and so does The Last House On The Left, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hostel, Friday the 13, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, et al.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Maybe this is buried in the regs, but I was told in a seminar by ADP on the law that those with employer coverage considered “affordable” (and my company’s laughably high premium is considered affordable- we pay $870 a month as our employee contribution for 2 people, $560 if it were just me) are not allowed to purchase insurance on the individual exchange. Small businesses can choose to get coverage through SHOP, but only next year.

The scary thing is that we haven’t even seen the other foot fall yet. The real crap-fan rendezvous happens when the employer mandate hits.

evergreen on October 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Dummyhead.

She is not eligible for subsidies! so she would not need to go on the Marketplace to buy her insurance, she could buy regular insurance without the website, with ACA rules in the individual market in her state, or in D.C. it does seem that there is no preventing her from dropping her insurance.

I am wondering if you are a regular person that does not take your employers insurance if you can’t actually buy it on the marketplace according to her answer, but I don’t know why you couldn’t buy it, and get a $0 subsidy.

It is not right that there is a special place for only some people to shop with subsidies, and it is not right that so many are being pushed onto Medicaid. Medicaid is not insurance, they should buy an “affordable” insurance policy. That is a crime.

Fleuries on October 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I don’t remember those TZ episodes – but those would be good.
TZ had some good cosmic justice kind of endings.

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

evergreen on October 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The company I was previously with, a couple years ago, was a small minority-owned business HQ’d in Kalifornia, that had an Anthem BCBS policy (only one choice) available for employees. Company contribution was minimal, so my cost for family coverage was $1200 a month. I went out on the open market in Colorado and got my own policy with slightly higher deductibles for about $400 a month.

Luckily the company I’m with now has multiple policy options with reasonable co-pays and deductibles, and covers a decent portion of the premiums (which have gone up due to 0care), and it’s now down to just me and wife, so for 2014 I’m down to a little less than $400 a month in premiums – at least until 0care forces a change.

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Seems to me that if the statement, “it was illegal for me to buy health insurance on the web site” was accepted then Sebelius could side-step any questions that might have asked, “have you tried to access the site” – a question about whether she checked out the website, for herself (i.e. shown any interest in seeing what was wrong), after the problems were reported thus she could then plausibly say she had no personal experience of the “glitches”.

I would think the boss in charge would want to see for herself just what the problem was if only to see if the reports were being exagerated.

Russ808 on October 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Mmmmmmm no. She doesn’t think that. Her statement is what’s known as a lie.

Akzed on October 30, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I don’t remember those TZ episodes – but those would be good.
TZ had some good cosmic justice kind of endings.

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Bingo!

Here ya go, Bro:

Judgment At Sea

Deaths-Head Revisited

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Burn in hell, Sebelius you lying health-mistress witch.

oryguncon on October 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I don’t remember those TZ episodes – but those would be good.
TZ had some good cosmic justice kind of endings.

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Deaths-Head Revisited

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I don’t remember those TZ episodes – but those would be good.
TZ had some good cosmic justice kind of endings.

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Judgment At Sea

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM
OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I’ll have to check those out when I get home.
Can’t see most videos, and can’t get to youtube at all where I am right now.

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Caught nakid

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I’ll have to check those out when I get home.
Can’t see most videos, and can’t get to youtube at all where I am right now.

dentarthurdent on October 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I prefer Judgment At Sea – but they’re both good.

Enjoy.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Got insurance?

We did until SHE came along!

Since Sebelius is from Kansas, we need a tornado to blow her back to Oz on a broom, and dump water on her.

Steve Z on October 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Sebelius’ reply: “No, sir.”

So what did Gingrey say in reply?

Steve Z on October 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM

evergreen on October 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Correct, that’s a fine point easy to misunderstand. The personal Obamacare exchange is different from the employers’ Obamacare exchange that will be launched next year.

It means we will go through this SHTF scenario again next year.

slickwillie2001 on October 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

That’s a bit too heavy-handed.

NorthernCross on October 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Exit answer: Kate will start wanting to spend more time with her family during the Thanksgiving weekend. The Christmas Solstice Spirit will get all up in that beeaatch and, under the influence of Tryptofan, she’ll come to the realization that some things are more important than a good job, with or without health insurance!

Tip: Take Boxing Day and the points.

Kenz on October 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Book rights and Gloria Allred are forthcoming. Stay tuned.

NoPain on October 31, 2013 at 8:26 AM