Scarborough: Of course Obama “flagrantly lied” about ObamaCare

posted at 10:41 am on October 30, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Last night, Joe Scarborough appeared on the Hugh Hewitt show to discuss the latest revelations about ObamaCare — the cancellation of millions of policies thanks to the deliberate machinations involving the “grandfathering” process.  The White House sent out its spinners and shanghaied Democratic apologists to try to convince people that Barack Obama’s five-year mantra of “if you like your plan, you can keep your plan” somehow coexists in a truthful world with those millions of cancellations being received right now by stunned Americans.  Scarborough scoffed at the notion, agreeing with Hugh that Obama “flagrantly lied” and misled Americans on the consequences of his government takeover of the insurance industry:

HH: Joe, how many Americans, do you think, will not have the health insurance they presently have come January 1 of 2014? How many millions are we talking about?

JS: I really, I’m trying to figure it out right now. Somebody thought maybe ten million, eleven million. This morning, we were talking about it, and you know, you had administration officials coming on saying it wasn’t a big deal. But it’s a huge deal. I mean, the President, especially, and I talked an awful lot this morning about, I asked Mike Barnicle this morning how many people actually sift through the words of a state of the Union address, and allows the president of the United States to say something that Lisa Myers found out last night several members of his administration knew about, and the President knew about. I mean, for the President to deliberately mislead millions and millions of Americans in a state of the Union address certainly seems to me to have as much impact or more impact on the day in and day out lives of millions and millions of Americans than the sixteen words George Bush was crucified for saying in the 2003 state of the Union address.

HH: Well said. I hadn’t thought about that.

JS: It’s terrible.

HH: This is Clarence Page, your MSNBC colleague, with me yesterday talking in response to the promises the President made.

HH: He knew he was lying?

CP: Probably. Probably. But that’s one of those political lies.

HH: Are you surprised that people like Clarence Page are admitting the President just out and out lied?

JS: What else could he do? You know, I asked everybody this morning what, you know, I asked a lot of White House reporters this morning what’s the White House’s spin? I asked Chuck Todd what’s the White House’s spin, and he said they don’t have one. It is such a deliberate, it was such a flagrant lie. When you’re telling people they can keep their insurance policies if they want to. Now I had a lot of people, a lot of conservatives last night Tweeting, interrupting my Red Sox game, Tweeting, saying well, why didn’t you guys report about this a couple of years ago? Well, I think we all knew this was the case that the President, that the President and the administration was misleading the American people. But what was new in Lisa Myers’ revelation was last night, was they had like three or four people that were actually working with the President who said the President knew at the time and let him know at the time that what he was saying was not the truth.

HH: Do you think he, Joe, Joe Scarborough, do you think he knew at the time?

JS: Of course.

The next part doesn’t make it into the clip, but it’s a great point about the escalation of this debacle.  Right now, we’re discussing the impact of this lie on the individual market, where 17 million Americans buy their health insurance — a relatively small percentage of the electorate.  HHS estimated three years ago that as many as two-thirds of those would see their policies canceled under ObamaCare.  But that may be a drop in the bucket, as Scarborough pointed out in the end of the interview:

HH: Joe, 30 seconds, here’s the problem. And tell me if I’m right or wrong. Your colleagues, and not just at NBC, but across all of big media, are insulated from this. They’re not really threatened. They don’t really care.

JS: No, because, and you know, 86% of Americans who like health care, you know, the health care that they have through their employers, don’t care right now. But you know what? They’re going to care, because some of the biggest corporate leaders in America have told me over the past three years off the record that they’re going to wait a few years, and then they’re going to cancel all the policies, because it would be much cheaper for the, and much more cost efficient, and pretty soon, all Americans are going to care.

Bingo. When that happens, expect a huge and transformative political backlash, one that may last a generation or more. That is, if ObamaCare remains in effect for that long, and right now that’s at least a small if.

Comments

Who’s going to stop it..? Congress? SCOTUS?

d1carter on October 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Then the fun really starts.

If DeathCare stays in place I sincerely hope these companies include the granola-eaters such as Google and Apple, I want every one of America’s leftists to feel this deeply and personally.

Bishop on October 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM

BWHahahahahahahahaha

Suck it MSNBC, you done brought him!

D-fusit on October 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

“Media” like Joe Scarborough & his irresponsible journalism is exactly why Obama was elected, reelected, and gets away with his lies.

Of course now Joe can point out how ObamaCare is a mess, and how Obama is a liar. But when Conservatives were pointing this out WAY beforehand, you know, when it mattered, idiots like Joe were doing back flips defending Obama. He also bashed conservatives ruthlessly for having called Obama and his ilk out for lies. People like Joe Wilson, Sarah Palin, Cruz, Lee, Paul, Tea Party, DeMint, etc.

I know he’s your friend, Ed. But this guy is exactly why Obama got away with it.

portlandon on October 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Let’s not forget that Obamacare was deemed passed so that O’s presidency wasn’t ruined. It was never for anyone but Obama.

txhsmom on October 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Who’s going to stop it..? Congress? SCOTUS?

d1carter on October 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If the GOP had held firm on the shutdown that would have stopped it. Now there is going to be ever increasing debt and ever increasing tyranny until a breaking point is reached and the people rebel.

bgibbs1000 on October 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

And this is why I believe the drive-bys are finally taking Obama to task. Because this WILL impact them and their families directly. They didn’t give a crap about Benghazi or the IRS or Fast & Furious because it didn’t affect them. But hit them in the pocketbook, and suddenly their loyalty to Obama isn’t on such solid ground anymore.

Doughboy on October 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM

nonpartisan doesn’t think Obama lied and that’s good enough for me.

/sarc

gwelf on October 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM

And the reason for delaying the employer mandate. They wanted to limit destruction of our health insurance to 14% per year.

If those buying on the individual market think the sticker shock is bad, just wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth, by those who have their insurance subsidized by employers, who are forced into the exchanges. The 50%+ premium rise and 100%+ deductible rise of today will look like a bargain in retrospect.

NotCoach on October 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Oh Please….we’ll stomp our feet and flame away on message boards and generally pass a kidney stone, but NOTHING will be done.
Don’t misunderstand, I want their heads on pikes with the best of them, but can anybody show me (aside from Cruz and Lee) any *ahem* testicular fortitude on Capital Hill right now????? any?????

*Crickets*

Didn’t think so…….

(we’re screwed…again)

wolfplus3 on October 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Then the fun really starts.

Bishop on October 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I think this is there plan. ObamaCare was in part designed to destroy the insurance industry and to make it easy to scapegoat them as the cause of all the horror. The rollout wasn’t supposed to be this disastrous but eventually the Democrat/media machine will turn this on the insurance companies. Before the elections next year the narrative will be that insurance companies have put blood profits above people and we need the government to step in more to fix it.

gwelf on October 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I wish my company wouldn’t offer me a subsidized health plan and just increased my compensation accordingly.

gwelf on October 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM

“Flagrantly lied” eh,…someone needs to be Flogged Done Good!

canopfor on October 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM

portlandon on October 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Yep, he wouldn’t even use the word “liar” on his show yesterday…afraid he would offend his “colleagues”…

d1carter on October 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Then the fun really starts.

Bishop on October 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Please, -a special place in Hell for the evil Google, who put together the team that ran the REB’s GOTV effort in the 2012 election. Without it he likely would have lost the election.

Remember that when you decide which email to use, which computer to buy, which search engine to use, which cellphone to buy, etc.

slickwillie2001 on October 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I’m sure the big corporations will wait until after the 2016 election. Stupid Americans did this to us. Man, it just makes me so mad. We can never stop anything before its too late. The bad stuff has to happen first and then you can’t do anything about it. John Roberts you SOB!

magicbeans on October 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Sibelius lies threw her teeth. Here’s something not even reported in the news, yet. They changed the program so the young, up to 24 years see rates for those up to 50, the older, up to 50 see rates of up to 65, and the others see the cheapest rates. This is illegal, “truth in advertising”, but when the gov’t is the law, eh…this from the hearings, while I made coffee.

The left are accusing the right of playing “chicken little” in the hearings and the right let them.

If they don’t get more aggressive the thugs will be in charge forever, alas….

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Why is it few understand that this is the way we are being forced into Single Payer. This is all just part of it.

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM

nonpartisan doesn’t think Obama lied and that’s good enough for me.

/sarc

gwelf on October 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I don’t post in the evenings, so unfortunately I missed the Harvard Law grad in action.

President Obama is not God, he can’t control everything nor forsee every possibility. I believe he was honest when he made those statements…but things change.

nonpartisan on October 29, 2013 at 8:54 PM

And yet everyone on the right predicted this exact outcome…

the US healthcare system was already ruined by the incompetent bloodsucking doctors that run it

nonpartisan on October 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM

And soon there will be no doctors at all…

He really is the special little boy in any group, isn’t he?

NotCoach on October 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM

The State Run Media will make sure this law will stand…and you will particpate in the redistribution or pay dearly.

Valerie has already threatened the insurance companies, who’s next?

d1carter on October 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM

But, you ho, you sure didn’t tell the American people that he was misleading him.

If you had, you might not have been invited to the White House Christmas party. Right, Joe?

Resist We Much on October 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Scarborough: Of course Obama “flagrantly lied” about ObamaCare

Flagrant lie, flagrant foul. What difference, at this point, does it make?

Ida know about the optimism Ed. The GOP has a tendency to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

rukiddingme on October 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM

“I’ll take things that should have been reported on three years ago for $200 million dollars, Alex.”

melle1228 on October 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM

On Breitbart linked by Drudge:

Flashback: Obama’s Campaign to Transition to Single Payer Health Care (VIDEO)

The article contains a bucket full of quotes from the World’s Greatest Orator, starting with this one:

Obama – Remarks to AFL – CIO

“I happen to be a proponent of a single-payer health care plan. The United States of America–the wealthiest country in the history of the world, spending 14 percent–14 percent of its gross national product on health care and cannot provide basic health insurance to everybody and that’s what Jim is talking about when he says, ‘Everybody in. Nobody out.’ A single payer health care credit–universal healthcare credit. That’s what I’d like to see, but as all of you know, we may not get there immediately. Because first we have to take back the White House and we’ve got to take back the Senate and we’ve got to take back the House.”

Or how about this one?

Obama – (SEIU Healthcare Forum) – 3/24/07

“But I don’t think we’re going to be able to eliminate employer coverage immediately. There’s going to be potentially some transition process. I can envision a decade out or 15 years out or 20 years out..”

It’s all there and maybe any squishy independents who don’t want to end up in the charity ward that is socialized medicine will wake up and read.

Drained Brain on October 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM

So Joe, if you knew the President flagrantly lied, why didn’t you say so on your Morning Mika show last year, when people had a chance to get rid of Obama?

Steve Z on October 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM

All of Congress loves big government. The more control over citizens the better.

If the population was not so old and full of welfare recipients there would be a strikes and marches in the city streets revolution…

albill on October 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM

One of my friends stopped over last night and started telling me about the ACA rep that came to his warehouse.

They’re targeting 20ish black males and trying to get them to drop their PPO for ACA.

Rep told him that the cost difference right now is only a few dollars, but it will go up in the next year of two, and his company plan could be gone by then.

I explained the “penalty” to him, and how they’ll pull it from your tax return. He said if it gets garnished for something a person did not use, in the black community, boom goes the dynamite.

budfox on October 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Irony – the site crashed as Sibelius testified that “the site never crashed, it’s just slow due to high volume”.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM

What Joe Scar says depends on which audience he has…

d1carter on October 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I look foward to Joe’s public apology for demonizing the people who pointed out the fact that Obama was LYING. I’m sure he’s working on the statement now.

HumpBot Salvation on October 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM

bgibbs1000 on October 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

The Continuing Resolution was passed for only three months. There will be another opportunity to stop this in January, and lots of voters will know how bad Obamacare is by then.

Steve Z on October 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I know a lot of people may be hurting, and many more are worried about their health care coverage. feel for them, but this is music to my ears. ANYTHING that would hurt the Donks for a long, long time is nothing but good news for everybody. We can only hope that the web site will be up and running full force so that even more people will see how bad it’s going to be.

HiJack on October 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

The thuggery of Nurse Ratched

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

budfox on October 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Don’t count on that TOO much:

Sadly, even IF there was a full blown revolt (doubtful) the “professional” instigators will be sure to try to bully & browbeat the insurrectionists as much as possible during the Congressional races next year and until President Hollywood jets off into the sunset.

The can BE no unhappy faces pulling on the oars in the galley, it might make O unhappy…and that’s racist!

/sarc

Good to be back, even if for a drive-by post!…:o)

BlaxPac on October 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Todays meme from the Dems is Romneycare

neyney on October 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM

portlandon on October 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Exactly right. Can’t be said often enough. People like Scarborough are despicable.

ddrintn on October 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Bingo.

Americans that get their insurance through their jobs should be worried. They should be very worried. They are next.

blink on October 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Mugged by reality

workingclass artist on October 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Obama – Remarks to AFL – CIO

Drained Brain on October 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I just caught the significance of this line A single payer health care credit–universal healthcare credit. UNIVERSAL being the key word.

fourdeucer on October 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM

NotCoach on October 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM

With your first paragraph, I think you’re suggesting that they’re trying to kill the insurance market in stages, and I agree. This year, it’s the individual market. Next year, it’s smaller employers who are trying to stay under 50 or to minimize the number of 30-hour employees. These people will be pitched to the exchanges or Medicaid. In the succeeding years, it will be increasingly larger employers deciding to pay the $2K an employee, until finally it’s eliminated as an employer-provided fringe benefit.

BuckeyeSam on October 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM

This is already here.

I am the part owner of a small business, and we have been given a quote for our employees’ medical, which we have always provided, which increases the base premium by 38% – starting 1/1/14.

Guess what decision we’re going to make?

Hucklebuck on October 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM

gwelf on October 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM

One of the few positive things about Obamacare is that it heads in the direction of severing the link between employment and healthcare–a deeply flawed idea that came out of FDR’s New Deal. Returning FDRcare isn’t the great option that those who mindlessly advocate getting rid of Obamacare seem to think. Returning us to Herbert Hoovercare may not be a bad option.

thuja on October 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM

He’s a filthy liar.

But then, we all knew that..

JohnGalt23 on October 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The GOP Establishment is insulated from the hell of Nazicare as well. That’s why they have little interest in its defunding and repeal. Other than lip service designed to get votes from the gullible. And that won’t happen again, since Karl Rove and the rest of the Cocktail Party GOP has declared war on conservatives, whom they view as more dangerous to the country than Obama and the Democrats.

pdigaudio on October 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Then there’s this.We’s all 2nd stringers.

docflash on October 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM

wolfplus3 on October 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Which is exactly why it’s so necessary for us to do whatever we can, whenever we can.
I love coming to HA, but this is merely my respite from the trenches. More of my free time is spent trying to educate/inform LIV’s and liberals wherever I can find them. Trying to teach is what I do when it isn’t an election year. I’m certainly not great at debating with staunch Dems, but I try. Prodding the frogs to get them to start jumping out of the pot is what has to be done.
Next year I’ll be out doing whatever I can to unseat Hagan in NC.
I don’t have it in me to give up. If everything is going to go to he11 I want to know I did what I could. It’s just too important.

lynncgb on October 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Because most conservatives are ignorant. Most hold out hope that the electorate will want to go “backwards” as the Prog’s put it.

In short order, the MSM will be pushing the Prog’s agenda “Forward” toward single payer as ‘bmore’ notes.

That will be the fight of the 2014 elections.

And we will, once again, lose.

Carnac on October 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

A regular J.J. Hunsecker, that Scarborough. This is the crossroads for him.

cbenoistd on October 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

That will be the wave that the Democrats will blame on the big corporations. The companies need to educate their workers now and explain why the democrats are too blame.

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM

But single payer is a liberal utopian dream that won’t work in America.

Everyone will end up on MediCaid and then the economy collapses.

Obama’s work will be done.

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I think this administration is beginning to lose control. I suspect this because we are hearing less from the resident pro-Obama trolls. I think they are sitting in a dark basement rocking back and forth with their hands tightly clasped together praying to Gaia to spare the President the consequences of his mendacity and hubris. I feel like I might be watching a Greek tragedy unfold here.

DaveDief on October 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

How they did it: How the Obama Administration Made Sure People Couldn’t Keep Their Plans

slickwillie2001 on October 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Would I be surprised if MessNBC had given Schmoe a heads up and he wants to be considered for Fox News again? No I wouldn’t. Hannity swears he’s done it before.
Old Shmoe. He can claim “temporary insanity” and beg the NRA to give him the time of day again.

Marcus on October 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Ok, Ed. Enough with BROMANCE with Scarborough!! He is a L O S E R!!

Dan Pet on October 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM

86% of Americans who like health care, you know, the health care that they have through their employers, don’t care right now. But you know what? They’re going to care, because some of the biggest corporate leaders in America have told me over the past three years off the record that they’re going to wait a few years, and then they’re going to cancel all the policies, because it would be much cheaper for the, and much more cost efficient, and pretty soon, all Americans are going to care.86% of Americans who like health care, you know, the health care that they have through their employers, don’t care right now. But you know what? They’re going to care, because some of the biggest corporate leaders in America have told me over the past three years off the record that they’re going to wait a few years, and then they’re going to cancel all the policies, because it would be much cheaper for the, and much more cost efficient, and pretty soon, all Americans are going to care.

I’ve been wondering when someone was going to jump on this. This needs to be another major talking point to counter the spin about “only 5%” are being impacted.

First of all, we’re seeing major employer-based policy cancelations already. In a couple of years, this number will explode.

Gad, the campaign commercials are practically writing themselves. The Republicans are being handed the Senate on a Platinum platter, encrusted with flawless diamonds. This is such a can’t-miss opportunity for them.

Which, of course, they’ll miss.

The country’s in the best of hands. :-/

nukemhill on October 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Ed:

I think you’re missing the point at the end here. The backlash won’t be directed at Obamacare… it will be directed, and led by progressive mouths, at the insurance companies and the companies. They will demonize profit centers and the red flag for universal will come.

At that point, Americans will be so desperate, and stupid, that they will fall into that trap, taking any insurance they can get.

I’ve already had this conversation with liberal friends over and over. That a woman living in a terrible area in Baltimore will be happy with government healthcare instead of none at all because she is poor and on welfare.

The trend is toward socialism. We don’t have an intelligent enough electorate to buffer it, and with the rise of the hispanic voter (who prefers socialism to capitalism), we’re going to race other states to the bottom.

Here’s the thing. Socialism only works where people are the same. Socialism works in Sweden because it’s full of Swedes.

Washington Fancy on October 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM

(we’re screwed…again)

wolfplus3 on October 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Just so you know…. Contraceptives are free in new Obamacare Plan. So stock up. It is useful to take precautions when you are s****** .

antisocial on October 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM

What did Scarborough mean by the sixteen words that W said in 2003 his State of the union address that he was crucified for?

jimver on October 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

He’s a filthy liar.

But then, we all knew that..

JohnGalt23 on October 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Scarborough or Obama?

Myron Falwell on October 30, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I would like to hear Joe’s explanation for the dead intern in his office one more time. An accidental fatal fall with no witnesses and no investigation by police ?

DeweyWins on October 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM

jimver on October 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

That would be when Bush said the British government had learned that Iraq had recently sought nuclear materials in Nigeria.

Which was actually true. The British government believed that to be the case. But there was also a discredited intelligence source that said the same thing, so some people claimed the British government was wrong.

Then, of course, Joe Wilson, husband of Valerie Plame, made a false claim that he had been the one to investigate it for Bush and that he had found the claim to be false. Even though it later turned out that nearly every single word from Joe Wilson was false, it was enough to set up the claim that Bush lied.

When they reference “16 words in the State of the Union address,” they almost always mean that one claim.

There Goes the Neighborhood on October 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on October 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Thanks, I know he’s been crucified for pretty much everything that came out of his mouth or his his decision making, but I wasn’t aware of this particular ‘sixteen words’ one, as in I didn’t know he said that in his SoU address of that year…

jimver on October 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM

“We all knew”?

So why the radio silence until now? Could it be that the Right had Obama’s mark all along? And sycophants like RINO Joe are just a bit shy about that?

Joe and his ilk should be apologizing not offering ‘golly gee’s.

chimney sweep on October 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM

You know it’s bad when you see someone like Scarborough trashing the leader of his own party like this.

Alberta_Patriot on October 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM