George Will: ObamaCare is pretty much “applied Bloombergism”

posted at 9:21 pm on October 29, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

An apt assessment by George Will from his new outpost on Fox News this evening, and a similar one to Krauthammer‘s last night; but the emergence of the new, obfuscatory defensive line that “insurers are responsible for canceling plans, not ObamaCare” — which evidently took less than 12 hours to become a bona fide progressive talking point — really helps to drive the point home. Trying to shift the blame onto insurers for the oh-so-heinous crimes of offering a wide variety of both comprehensive and non-comprehensive plans, and pricing them according to their actual associated costs and risks, in an individual market with a high rate of turnover is just another way for the Obama administration to yet again insist to both individuals and businesses they their arbitrary determinations of “fairness” are both wiser and nobler than anything that freely cooperative actors could ever come up with — which they they use their executive fiat to override and ignore. They certainly did a lovely job of selling the “Affordable” Care Act as a favor they were doing all Americans, the only problem being that it’s a favor many Americans are discovering they don’t actually want. Via NRO:

And as a result supporters of ObamaCare are pioneering new dimensions of sophistry. Steny Hoyer, the second-ranking Democrat in the House, today said the president should have caveated it. Now that’s a clunky verb. What he means is he should have put a big asterisk over his statement, and the asterisk would say, ‘You can keep your insurance if but only if you buy the insurance that we think you ought to have,’ which reveals the part of ObamaCare that is applied Bloombergism. The mayor of New York’s been a very candid progressive. He says, ‘I know what you ought to eat, I know what you ought to drink, and I’m going to use the police power of the city to make you do it.’ And ObamaCare says exactly the same thing: You’re free to choose if you choose the right thing.

Comments

You can have a Model T in any color you want, so long as it is black.

Mr. Bingley on October 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM

‘The Party gives comrades choice. You have the choice of the black Trabant or the black Trabant.’

- East German apparatchik

Resist We Much on October 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Liberal fascism. :>=)

We’ll help you real good.

wolly4321 on October 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Mr. Bingley on October 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM

LOL! I swear that I hadn’t read your post!

Great minds and all that!

Resist We Much on October 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Bloombergism…..doesn’t roll off the tongue well.

KCB on October 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM

To be fair though, liberals are smarter than the rest of us, I mean look at Dick Durbin.

Bishop on October 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Bloombergism…..doesn’t roll off the tongue well.

KCB on October 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Sounds like something that’d come out of your nose if you sneezed hard.

Midas on October 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Bishop on October 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM

‘I can’t stand to look at you him!’

Resist We Much on October 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Bloombergism…..doesn’t roll off the tongue well.

KCB on October 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Much like its namesake…

Gohawgs on October 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM

George seems much more willing to speak his mind on Fox…

d1carter on October 29, 2013 at 9:33 PM

George Will: ObamaCare is pretty much “applied Bloombergism Excrement

VorDaj on October 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM

…I mean look at Dick Durbin.

Bishop on October 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I’d rather be waterboarded…

climbnjump on October 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM

novaculus ‏@novaculus 8h

Obama said, “If you like your plan, you can keep your plan” but left out “unless we don’t like your plan, then you’re f**ked.” #Obamacare

12:09 PM – 29 Oct 13 · Details

novaculus on October 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM

The financial beatings will continue until morale improves!

GarandFan on October 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM

George seems much more willing to speak his mind on Fox…

d1carter

totally agree. He almost stared that WaPo lady straight to the kitchen !

williampeck1958 on October 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I love this site.. You people really make me laugh. You are so damn fast with jokes and terms,I love it. I may be depressed most of the time now but you all keep me going,,,,,all those things I wish I had thought of. Love you all.

retiredeagle on October 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Mara Liasson with the Joker smile … lol

PackerBronco on October 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Here’s a guarantee that I’ve made. If you have insurance that you like, then you will be able to keep that insurance. If you’ve got a doctor that you like, you will be able to keep your doctor.

-President Barack Obama, 2009

If Obama were in the private sector, he would be packing his bags for a few year stint in he Graybar Hotel.

Resist We Much on October 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

retiredeagle on October 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM

WELCOME ABOARD (!!) from another eagle… Navy type…

Khun Joe on October 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Sounds like something that’d come out of your nose if you sneezed hard.

Midas on October 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I read this while drinking Diet Pepsi – that did not feel good.

Funny as hell though

gophergirl on October 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM

What a freaking pin head.

Hey MSM talking sphincter boys. Nice job critiquing Obama you fools.

SparkPlug on October 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM

George seems much more willing to speak his mind on Fox…

d1carter

totally agree. He almost stared that WaPo NPR lady straight to the kitchen !

williampeck1958 on October 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I think Mara is from NPR. All the same, if you saw the entire segment, you’d have enjoyed George, Tucker Carlson, and even Bret clubbing her over the head in a polite way. I actually like Carlson on these panels. He does not mince words. I wish he had a bigger roll at Fox. I think he’d do a better job, say, with Hannity’s hour. He’d sure be a lot better prepared, and he wouldn’t waste time on gotcha nonsense.

BuckeyeSam on October 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Frum needs to get bent now.

Revolution.

SparkPlug on October 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Mara Liasson with the Joker smile … lol

PackerBronco on October 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Her eyes are what get me: they are freaky-deaky.

BuckeyeSam on October 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Attention all azz clowns in the Gooberment and media. They will be hell to pay and we are going to make you pay it with your bloody spleens.

SparkPlug on October 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Sounds like something that’d come out of your nose if you sneezed hard.

Midas on October 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM

More like something that would come out of your behind during a colonoscopy.

GrannyDee on October 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Frum can’t even peel the crust off a morning muffin. Furthermore he a the biggest faux intellectual that ever came out of the polyp lined worm anus that birthed Moochelle.

SparkPlug on October 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

MeanWhile,………………..

Obama health care law

Connecticut healthcare exchange says Obamacare data hub is ‘experiencing an outage’ – @Reuters

1 hour ago from http://www.reuters.com by editor
=============================================

Connecticut says Obamacare data hub ‘experiencing an outage’

WASHINGTON | Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:28pm EDT
****************************************

(Reuters) – Connecticut’s healthcare exchange “Access Health CT” said the U.S. government’s Obamacare data hub was ‘experiencing an outage’ on Tuesday evening, the second time in three days.

“Access Health CT was informed by CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) that the Federal Data Services Hub is currently experiencing an outage,” a statement from the state exchange said. A similar outage on Sunday also halted online enrollment on the federal Healthcare.gov website.
========

canopfor on October 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM

SparkPlug on October 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Okay, we get it. You’re mad. But….dude?!

ElectricPhase on October 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM

retiredeagle on October 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Yep, these folks have saved my sanity more than once.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM

The Media is getting back in line with the “It’s the Insurance Companies Fault” defense. Repeat, rinse and repeat.

LeftCoastRight on October 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM

retiredeagle on October 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM

There have been some threads where I have been crying I’m laughing so hard.

SOTU threads are especially hilarious.

gophergirl on October 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM

ElectricPhase on October 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I don’t know what it means but is sound icky.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Hehe. Very icky.

SparkPlug on October 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I wish more would counter the ridiculous defense that the “majority of Americans aren’t affected” because of their employment-based plans. Those will also experience a decreasing availability and sharply rising costs, it will just take longer for those effects to be felt.

Adjoran on October 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Rights aren’t rights if someone can take them away. They’re privileges. That’s all we’ve ever had in this country, is a bill of temporary privileges. And if you read the news even badly, you know that every year the list gets shorter and shorter. You see all, sooner or later. Sooner or later, the people in this country are gonna realize the government does not give a f*ck about them! The government doesn’t care about you, or your children, or your rights, or your welfare or your safety. It simply does not give a f*ck about you! It’s interested in its own power. That’s the only thing. Keeping it and expanding it wherever possible.

George Carlin

More popcorn please!

roflmmfao

donabernathy on October 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Bloombergism…..doesn’t roll off the tongue well.

KCB on October 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Much like its namesake…

Gohawgs on October 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM

….have you noticed…..He’s been quiet for a while?

KOOLAID2 on October 30, 2013 at 12:23 AM

You’re free to choose if you choose the right thing.

Sounds kind of familiar to some of us:

Brothers and Sisters, I would ask that you take a moment to imagine what life would have been like on the Earth had Satan’s plan been chosen as the way to save mankind instead of the plan that God had intended for us to follow.

Please turn with me to the Pearl of Great Price while we read from Moses chapter 4 together. I will quote the relevant parts below:
“Satan….came before me, saying—Behold, here am I, send me, I will be thy son, and I will redeem all mankind, that one soul shall not be lost, and surely I will do it; wherefore give me thine honor.
Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him, and also, that I should give unto him mine own power; by the power of mine Only Begotten, I caused that he should be cast down;
And he became Satan, yea, even the devil, the father of all lies, to deceive and to blind men, and to lead them captive at his will, even as many as would not hearken unto my voice.”

From these scriptures we learn that Satan sought to save all mankind by taking away the agency of man. He also sought to have the honor bestowed upon him that is reserved for God the Father alone. Agency is a precious gift from God; it is essential to His plan for His children. Agency is to act with accountability and responsibility for our actions. Without agency we would be unable to make right choices and progress. Yet with agency we risk making wrong choices, committing sin, and losing the opportunity to be with Heavenly Father again.

Satan’s plan was to take away our agency and make us go back to heaven with coercion and force. In his plan all would have been saved but not through their own choice.

AesopFan on October 30, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Bloombergism…..doesn’t roll off the tongue well.

KCB on October 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I’d prefer a Bloombergism over a Bloombergasm.

apostic on October 30, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Bishop on October 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Or Joe Biden.

Gunlock Bill on October 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Of course Will is correct. Just look at the blue state of California. The Democrats and Republicans decided to let the people choose (vote) for same-sex marriage. When the black vote flipped toward the no stance, it failed on the ballot. In steps the liberals (both activists and lawyers) who basically tell the voters, “thank you for your participation. However, your choice was wrong and we will supersede your vote through the courts.”

djaymick on October 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM