Brutal: The “if you like your plan, you can keep your plan” compilation clip

posted at 8:41 pm on October 29, 2013 by Allahpundit

The clip is brutal enough in isolation, but the fact that it’s the normally sympathetic New York magazine that’s dropping it on O makes me think he’s even more vulnerable on the Big Lie than we all thought. They didn’t go looking to hit him this hard, I’m sure; they simply couldn’t resist an opportunity this easy. Which also explains why lefties are straining hard not to call what he said a “lie.” New York itself describes the clip delicately as Obama “knowingly mak[ing] an overly simplistic guarantee,” which I guess is a way to reassure their audience that you can’t truly be guilty of lying if it’s in service to a cause they all agree on.

It’s actually a good thing in many cases that people can’t keep their plans, New York continues, because many of them currently on the market are junk that won’t protect you in the event of a true catastrophe. Here’s health-care consultant Bob Laszewski, who’s emerged as one of the media’s go-to guys on the tribulations of Healthcare.gov, explaining how his own decidedly non-junky coverage has now been taken away:

Now, my plan covers about everything. Never had a procedure for either my wife or myself turned down. Wellness benefits are without a deductible. It covers mental health, drugs, maternity, anything I can think of.

The new plan would have a deductible $500 higher than the one I now have and a lot more if I go “out-of-network” inside the rest of the Blue Cross national network.

And, wait all you people telling me rate shock does not exist, it far more restricted plan costs 66% more than our current monthly premium. Mr. Rate Shock got rate shocked––and benefit shocked to boot.

Now here’s the real corker: Maryland has been bragging they have the lowest premiums of all of the exchanges. More, I figured being an old fart the age rating rules, that force younger people to pay more so older people pay less, would help me. Didn’t work out.

So Laszewski ended up with a far more expensive plan which, comparatively speaking, turns out to be — ta da — junk. Again, though: Wasn’t that the point of the law, to get the people who can afford to pay a little more (and I use “afford” loosely) to pay it in the name of sharing the burden of covering the poor and sick? It sounds to me like Laszewski’s new plan is a model for the whole program: The insurance company gets more revenue for less benefits, which means they’ve got more in the till to cover everyone else’s preexisting conditions. See? ObamaCare does work!

Someone needs to tell Joe Manchin:

When asked if Obama’s repeated promises were misleading, Manchin seemed to be grappling with the extent of the deception.

“It was pretty much a part of the whole talking points, forever. It was almost like, ‘don’t worry! Don’t worry! Don’t worry!’ Well, people back in West Virginia are worried now, thinking, ‘ok, you mean I can’t keep it? I gotta buy this?’ Or, ‘the policy I had didn’t meet certain criteria or certain standards, and now those certain standard are going to force me to buy?’” Manchin said, adding he’s working with Republican Senator Johnny Isakson on a one-year delay to the individual mandate.

In the same piece, Jonathan Strong quotes Harry Reid as saying it’s true that you can keep your plan under ObamaCare because it’s not the feds who are canceling coverage, it’s the insurers themselves. (“Insurance companies cancel plans. That’s what they do.”) If you’re mad that the rug’s been pulled out from under you, take it up with Blue Cross or whoever. I’ve gotta say: Never did I think they’d be so cornered politically that Valerie Jarrett’s Orwellian defense of ObamaCare’s rules would catch on among Democrats more widely. But, per Reid, apparently it has. They really are seriously going to argue that the cancellations, many of which are compelled by ObamaCare’s new rules on “essential benefits” and disqualified grandfathered plans, are something that insurers are doing somewhat voluntarily, not because America’s new legal framework is driving them to do so. At today’s House hearing, Sandy Levin actually described the cancellation notices people are receiving as mere “transitions” onto the new health-insurance exchange. We’re about three weeks away from Democrats saying, “ObamaCare? What’s ‘ObamaCare’?”

For your homework, via Ace, go read this Patrick Brennan post at the Corner that explains how Obama’s own HHS deputies made the law even more aggressive than it was designed to be in terms of forcing plan cancellations. The math of covering preexisting conditions is such that insurers had little choice but to take certain actions, like raising people’s deductibles, that would disqualify them from “grandfather” status — and O’s team, by writing the regulations for disqualification broadly, compounded the problem. It didn’t have to be this bad. They wanted it that way.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Folks, posters… #hashtag America.

Seriously, macro, micro… retweet the hell out of that clip. #hashtag your hometown. Your favorite sports team. Saturation overload. Its worth it.

My Example:

#GOP #Patriots #redsox #boston #Catholics #seniors #aarp #seniors #healthcare #unions

Just spread this far and wide

swamp_yankee on October 30, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Writing regs to deliberately minimize the number of grandfathered insurance plans –

It didn’t have to be this bad. They wanted it that way.

Closing the National Parks that were always open and unguarded before –

It didn’t have to be this bad. They wanted it that way.

Waiting so long to intervene in Syria that the only rebels left to help are al Quada —

It didn’t have to be this bad. They wanted it that way.

Refusing to provide security for our ambassador in Libya –

It didn’t have to be this bad. They wanted it that way.

Enforcing regulations that close businesses, make homeowner’s yards into “protected” wetlands, reduce energy, raise gas prices, destroy usable cars, crash housing markets —

It didn’t have to be this bad. They wanted it that way.

Writing Obamacare in the first place –

It didn’t have to be this bad. They wanted it that way.

AesopFan on October 30, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Fox continues to interview fairly wealthy people who have just got cancelation notices and can probably get by without so much pain. They should bring in family’s who are on a very tight budget and will be deciding between food and insurance.

newportmike on October 30, 2013 at 1:10 AM

And you can tell the “budget” of these interviewees on TV how? Troll???

swamp_yankee on October 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM

NewportMike, stfu… you lost the debate bro… go down with dignity… wait, nevermind, that’s impossible.

swamp_yankee on October 30, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Misunderstanding. I’m sure. Family’s will suffer horribly because of obamacare, these are the stories that should be brought to light.

newportmike on October 30, 2013 at 1:39 AM

This clip leaves out all of the times 0bama said “PERIOD”.

Those are the most damning, in my opinion.

I noticed MSNBC left those out as well.

Hot Gas on October 30, 2013 at 2:56 AM

There’s just one thing missing at the end: Joe Wilson’s clip, yelling,”You LIE!”

Snitchmo on October 30, 2013 at 3:16 AM

AP, this is a much better clip.

dddave on October 30, 2013 at 7:15 AM

I would love to strap an un-removeable medium-voltage Lie Detector to Obama and watch him slowly electrocute HIMSELF into unconsciouness over and over again or watch him have a true ‘Come-to-Jesus’ moment where he stops lying altogether! At that point, however, being unable to lie, his political career would be over!

easyt65 on October 30, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I like this one, too.

flyoverland on October 30, 2013 at 9:32 AM

the US healthcare system was already ruined by the incompetent bloodsucking doctors that run it

nonpartisan on October 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Best poster on hotair.

rogerb on October 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM

except for 99.989% of the rest, of course.

If you’re trying to start something, you’re gonna have to come up with more than that weak tea. Sorry, Weakwater McBile. Come on back when you’ve got something…

… or better yet; NOT.

hillbillyjim on October 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Nope. I’m completely serious. Look here

And here

On this thread alone there are 27 instances of his name on the first page of comments, and 32 on the second. He managed 1/4 of of all the posts to directly involve him.

He got me when he first started posting, too, but his non-killing skeet gun and Harvard law graduate posts were a bit much.

FWIW, I think it’s either Bishop, Ace, or another fellow who used to post similarly. He was very, very good at the technique, too. I can’t remember his name, though.

rogerb on October 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Some fool called in to Rush’s program yesterday claiming he’d never heard Obama saying this. Look I make a point of turning him off the nanosecond his ugly face is on and even I heard him say this in tons of news clips. I swear its as if these lefties don’t realize that their lies are recorded. It also appears that not only is half this country stupid but willfully so.

neyney on October 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

rogerb on October 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Agreed. Thank goodness you don’t think its me. ; ) Just a child that one.

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM

rogerb on October 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I think it’s a mistake to think that no real poster could possibly be that stupid.

Somehow Obama was elected, twice.

slickwillie2001 on October 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM

nonpartisan on October 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Best poster on hotair.

rogerb on October 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM

OMG, yell me that my lying eyesa are…lying :)…Harvard didn’t just write that :).

jimver on October 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Tell me that is :)…

jimver on October 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM

But there is no evidence he ever said if you like your plan you can keep your plan. If you say that he said it, it’s only because you don’t like Obama and you’re a racist.

Or something.

Wino on October 30, 2013 at 2:30 PM

The biggest (and most recent) lie is the preposterous claim that they (and especially he) didn’t know.

Anyone who has ever worked for the any governmental Administration, least on a State or Federal level, knows that key White House officials had prior knowledge of the impending debacle as the ACA website was about to go live back on the 1st of October. Whoever was the White House prime liaison with the HHS Secretary, had no doubt been given a full briefing on the breadth of the likely start-up problems that would be experienced. I’ll guarantee that there is (or was) a memo (or two, or three) detailing the likelihood of much of what we’ve already seen happening.

We do know that the Department was told of the impending website problems by the contractor. That was made public through the contractor for obvious reasons. And, the HHS Sec’y would have immediately reported that to the White House handlers of HHS matters.

The first rule of politics in such circumstances is no surprises!. In addition (and for the same reason) the White House Chief of Staff would have also been quickly informed before the “start-up” glitches surfaced. And, in turn, the WH Chief of Staff would have quietly informed the President on at least some level, as well as some key personnel in Communications — most likely Press Secretary Jay Carney.

My guess would be that a calendar reason “dictated” the website opening on time anyway, even though they knew it would be experience some serious and embarrassing problems. It was most likely because of the clock going forward that they pulled the trigger. Estimations regarding the various deadlines of the program probably dictated that it had to go up when it did, even with the impending problems. Further delay would have most likely impinged on key political datesi.e., put the problems too close to the 2014 election. The only other real possibility is that there was a legal problem associated with failing to go up on time — i.e., perhaps there is some little known provision in the law which would have reset them on an unacceptable time track if they started late, so they went live knowing there would be problems.

Whatever the reason, they decided that they would have to play “catch-up ball” because the alternative (further delay) would more likely kill any chance of either holding the Senate, or of retaking the House.

And now they are publicly lying about who knew what and when. This is the real danger zone for them.

That’s because someone may still talk. Or worse yet, they may leak contrary documentation.

Anyone remember John Dean?

Trochilus on October 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Obama lied my healthcare died !

brads01 on October 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

But Kim Kardashians post baby butt is lookin good—-Yahoo News voter responds to all the hubbub about the website.

It’s free right?

PappyD61 on October 30, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Agreed. Thank goodness you don’t think its me. ; ) Just a child that one.

Bmore on October 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I’ve never thought it’s your style. It would be too hard to not just start laughing about it. I know I couldn’t stay in character as well as he does.

rogerb on October 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM

So Bush said 16 words once, words that were Accurate because British Intelligence Did say, and to this day still stand by their report, that Sadam Huesain tried to buy Yellow Cake Uranium, and it was “The Lie of the Century!”

But Obama repeats and repeats and repeats the same lie over and over again and it is somehow NOT a lie?

jaydee_007 on October 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

New York itself describes the clip delicately as Obama “knowingly making an overly simplistic guarantee[.]“

Actually, my experience with Liberals is that they’d say it was so simplistic only a fool would believe it. And, there’s nothing wrong with lying to a fool. So, even if it was a “lie,” who cares?

As one famously said, “What difference does it make?”

Herald of Woe on November 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM