LA Times: Middle-class Californians feeling surprised, dismayed by higher ObamaCare costs

posted at 5:01 pm on October 27, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

California was both the first and largest state to commit to building their own state-specific individual marketplace rather than working through the still mostly-busted federal exchange, and the launch of their Covered California site has been relatively smoother than most (although not without its own problems). Like the Obama administration, California is reporting an encouraging amount of traffic but doesn’t plan to release its actual enrollment numbers until mid-November — but in the meantime, the middle-class Californians checking out their new healthcare “options” are feeling a little bit perturbed about what they’re seeing. Via the Los Angeles Times:

“This is when the actual sticker shock comes into play for people,” said Gerald Kominski, director of the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research. “There are winners and losers under the Affordable Care Act.”

Fullerton resident Jennifer Harris thought she had a great deal, paying $98 a month for an individual plan through Health Net Inc. She got a rude surprise this month when the company said it would cancel her policy at the end of this year. Her current plan does not conform with the new federal rules, which require more generous levels of coverage.

Now Harris, a self-employed lawyer, must shop for replacement insurance. The cheapest plan she has found will cost her $238 a month. She and her husband don’t qualify for federal premium subsidies because they earn too much money, about $80,000 a year combined.

“It doesn’t seem right to make the middle class pay so much more in order to give health insurance to everybody else,” said Harris, who is three months pregnant. “This increase is simply not affordable.”

Gee, no kidding. The LA Times reports that California is home to more than two million individually insured residents, and that hundreds of thousands of them are receiving cancellation notices on their current plans and getting booted into the exchange where they’ll need to pay an average of 30 percent more for their new premiums. How anybody ever managed to convince themselves that none of this would have a net negative economic impact and indeed act as a new tax on the middle class, I’m sure I’ll never know.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

OK, I guess I have a new name for the scandal

ObamaClunker

faraway on October 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Libfree: “If you don’t pay $140 per month, you’re a racist”

faraway on October 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

A lot of us live within our means…barely..
We might save for a rainy day…
But those days don’t usual come every month…
But watch out….

We now have Obama’s404Scare….
Due every month…

Electrongod on October 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM

For you, liveenslavedthendie:

$4,955: A Shocking Number In The Age Of Obama

Resist We Much on October 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

“If you like your plan, you can keep your plan.”
no go sit in the corner and lick your as$ with the rest of the mutts

Rio Linda Refugee on October 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I am so pleased that family members, colleagues and friends will have access to maternity coverage that every employer should provide on their own.

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Care to discuss this?

Imagine…

1. If Republican George Bush made it mandatory that every American buy health insurance.

2. If Bush said if you don’t buy it, you will be fined.

3. If Bush said he would employ the IRS to collect the fine from you for non-conformance.

4. If Bush took the “public option” out of the bill, in order to please the private health insurance companies.

5. If Bush created a health care plan where the average cost was $328 dollars a month.

6. If Bush totally ignored all of the polls that said most Americans were against the health care bill.

7. If during the first 2 weeks of Bush’s health care plan rollout, the website crashed and hardly anybody could sign up.

8. If Bush gave Corporate America a one-year delay joining, but refused to do the same for poor people.

Care to reply?

Del Dolemonte on October 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

You’re around 30, right? Even $100/month at a pessimistic 6% for the next 30 years will give you over $100K for retirement. Starting young is the best time to begin so that interest has time to work its magic, especially since SS won’t be able to float you when you’ve retired.

rogerb on June 22, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Rogerb, its true. But some folks don’t have a natural head or disposition to save.I’m more the adventurous, lets make a memory kind of person. My guy is a level headed, sensible type so he handles the finances and that’s fine by me. In return I made an amazing bacon wrapped meatloaf tonight, win-win!

libfreeordie on June 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Sorry, you were saying something about believing something was a doable expense, right?

rogerb on October 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Unbelievable how many people believe the government gives away things and no one needs to pay for them.

mixplix on October 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

It’s important to keep in mind that Obamacare is NOT primarily about making the better off pay more for all the rest of us.

Sure, we are going to pay through the nose for the unimaginably huge amount of subsidies, and the cost of health care and those subsidies will continue to skyrocket, but Obamacare is primarily about the feds, with thousands of pages of rules, taking over health care. The feds think they know best, but they’re wrong. Govt can’t do it effectively, and so costs will go through the roof, service will degenerate, and life extending innovation will be stifled.

anotherJoe on October 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

libfree can’t answer right now. He is doubling his chanting.

faraway on October 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I *still* think though that its a doable expense.

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

How do you know that they aren’t paying $3,000/mo on their student loans?

They live in Fullerton where the median home price is 115.4% greater than the national average. The average rent for a small two bedroom apartment is $1,600/month.

That’s the problem with Progressive elites. They not only think they are better than everyone else, they believe that they should be able to dictate to others how they live their lives and on what they should spend their own money.

Resist We Much on October 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM

You’re an abnormality.

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM

“I was all for ObamaCare, until I found out I was paying for it.”

I hope this person finally grasps that Congress, Obama and numerous people of the political class have excused themselves from any financial hit for ObamasCon.

INC on October 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM

mixplix on October 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

They don’t really believe that, though. They know someone else if paying for it. They just don’t care. No shame, no embarrassment — just gimme. Peep:

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Axe on October 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM

How do you know that they aren’t paying $3,000/mo on their student loans?
…..

Resist We Much on October 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM

He doesn’t care ..he just wants his subsidized insurance. When the throat cancer kicks in …it’ll need it.

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

10 years ago i worked ar Boeing in Long Beach
the illegal alien that worked pulling the trash
in our building was 7 months pregnant,,,
i asked her about insurance..
she was thrilled that the state of california
was covering her bills..
she was given free California Maternity coverage..
she was paid under the table..(no taxes)
she had no insurance policy..
she had the baby..(a lil boy)..
they sent me (and all cali) the bill..

question..
what does she have now…she did not have then..??

she is still not in this country legally..
she is still pulling trash under the table..(still no taxes)
she still does not have an insurance policy..
she had 3 more babies…sent cali the bill for each one…

maybe i should give her your address and you
can put YOUR money where your mouth is…

going2mars on October 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I stand corrected and that *is* a heavy burden on that income (depending where they live in California of course). I *still* think though that its a doable expense. Given their income they can’t have children, or they would qualify for subsidies. They are contributing to a set of subsidies that don’t just only subsidize “the poor,” but the reproducing, incentivizing childbirth. Seems like a win-win for the social cons.

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

You are forcing people to purchase more insurance than they want.

You also told them if they liked their plan, they could keep it.

And, I am no socon so that argument isn’t going to fly with me. besides, in some counties in California like Los Angeles, the majority of babies are born to Medicaid mums, whose numbers Obamacare swells.

Resist We Much on October 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Just an FYI — I am a social conservative and that argument doesn’t fly with me either. I had to stare at it for five minutes just to understand what he was saying.

Axe on October 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I *still* think though that its a doable expense.

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

What if they’re a gay couple? A minority couple? A handicapped or blind couple?

faraway on October 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I used to ignore your posts, and will again. You have got to be the dumbest m”f*cker on the planet. If it weren’t for your level headed guy, by the way, how effing desperate is he, you’d be making those memories under a bridge. Here’s hoping the dripping fat in your bacon meatloaf clogs your arteries pronto.

msupertas on October 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I *wonder* what will happen when the *lowinformationperfesser* goes for his *first* Obamacare checkup and gets the *full list* of *federally-mandated* questions, like *sexual history* etc.

slickwillie2001 on October 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

libfreeorgan on October 27, 2013 PM

KOOLAID2 on October 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Actually, Prog, you shrieked that having to pay more for health insurance equaled denial of care and access.

But since you’ve changed your mind, I say we slash the food stamp benefit for those who aren’t working by $140, since that’s a “doable expense”.

northdallasthirty on October 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

…just came in from cutting wood…for a bonfire…saw the name…and decided…it’s time…for a long shit!Obama

KOOLAID2 on October 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

That’s what I call it.

msupertas on October 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

The president promised explicitly—we heard it on this program—if you like the coverage you have now you can keep it, period,” Hume said. “These hundreds of thousands of people evidently like the policies they had, because they kept paying for them. They’re now being told they can’t have those polices anymore. They must have policies that involve coverage for things they may feel they don’t need.”

“They’re going to get better coverage, at potentially lower cost,” Williams said.

Whose idea of better coverage, their idea or the government’s?” Hume said. “They’re going to offer a government-mandated deal, that may or may not be a better deal for the people involved. They’re elderly people being required to pay for maternity coverage.”

INC on October 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

slickwillie …. that is the natural progression of this madness.

Also Libfree not that you care about the truth…nor could you even prove that the Manson fellow actually wrote that post but maybe before you get all giddy woman you should do some more research…that is what you do right? Research? Look for the truth? Then teach those heads of mush at your college?

Note re: Manton

“.. Manson is an atheist libertarian who apparently despised the Tea Party. He was removed as editor of SupportAtheism.org because of a racist private comment, according to the current editor of that website. He is apparently a “9/11 Truth” conspiracy enthusiast, he officially favors rent and price controls on his web page, and he says that he dislikes both main political parties but has been a member of both. He was (he says) motivated to run for “office” (the town’s City Council) because his landlord raised the rent on his trailer, among other things.

His positions are an odd mix; he seems as good or better a fit with the Occupy movement. But in any event, the “Tea Party Leader” and “Tea Party darling” and “Republican politician” statements are all evidently fabrications.

It would be good to deal with the facts as they are, especially as this fellow could be as easily portrayed on one side of the aisle as the other. There are not too many militant, anti-Christian ranters in the Tea Party, for example, but Manson’s posts at SupportAtheism contain that sentiment.

===|==============/ Keith DeHavelle “

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM

northdallasthirty on October 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Hey if deviant can be so judgmental — why not?

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM

You obviously had a substandard, crappy plan.

Pay your “fair share” and STFU you racist.

There are winners and losers under the Affordable Care Act

Call Nancy’s office and tell her you found out what’s in it.

BacaDog on October 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM

LOL good stuff :)

dmacleo on October 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Morons never discover untils it’s too late. Then they want everyone to come to their aid. You can’t fix stupid.

RdLake on October 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Heh… looks like libfree is well on his way to steering this thread where he want’s it to go.

I wish you folks would remember to NOT feed the trolls.

CPT. Charles on October 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM

You won’t lose your plan right Libfree?

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I don’t think Libfree’s going to be back CptCharles…

I would say this, Reserve your Schadenfreude for private…

What we need to do is reach out to these people and get them to vote the “right way”…on this issue…..

Pointing at them and going Ny’ahhhh-Ny’ahhhh isn’t going to advance our cuase very much.

JFKY on October 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Maternity care for all Americans. Even the one with the Y chromosome:

From a Power Line reader in Iowa:

My insurance agent told me a week ago that I will be receiving notice that my insurance policy is not ACA compliant and will be discontinued. He told me my option is to start shopping for an Obamacare (ACA compliant) policy.

The policy is just on me. I am a 61 year old male with no health issues. I asked my agent, “Why is this policy not compliant with the ACA?”

Answer: “Your policy doesn’t include maternity care”.

Since I was able to go through strict underwriting standards to buy my current policy, I figured that on the exchange I will not be able to get a policy without paying significantly more since I will get no credit for being in good health. Furthermore I, a 61 year old male, will be paying for maternity coverage.

I hear those on the left saying that my policy is inferior and that I was “swindled” by buying such a product. Not having maternity care for a 61 year old male hardly makes my policy inferior.

“If you like your policy, you can keep your policy.”

Yeah, right.

I then asked my agent to get a quote for me for an ACA compliant policy. The ACA compliant policy will cost $106 more per month or $1272 more per year. And this ACA compliant policy will more than double the annual out-of-pocket expense from my $5,000 per year currently to $10,600 per year if I use out-of-network medical care.

To be fair, the ACA compliant policy does include maternity care for me.

“The average family will see an annual reduction in their premium of $2500 per year”

Yeah, right.

[Name withheld]

Urbandale, IA

Powerline

Wethal on October 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Jennifer, didn’t you know, somebody’s gotta pay for surfer dude/rock star wanna be’s health care insurance and that would be you. You’re already on the hook for his snap card, obamaphone and sushi, might as well pay for his doc visits, too.

Kissmygrits on October 27, 2013 at 7:05 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

every employer should drop all insurance benefits for everyone.
if someone wants insurance why is it the employers job to babysit them?
somehow a benefit has turned into a right in this country.

dmacleo on October 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM

INC on October 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

If you watched the entire exchange, Juan started by definitively and defiantly declaring that the insureds would be receiving better coverage. By the time Hume got in his face he was already backpedaling to potentially better coverage. It was a completely WTF moment?

The best part of the panel was that Wallace adamantly refused to allow Juan to get away with either the “better coverage” or “potentially better coverage” formulation without challenge. He even went to the extent of recounting IN DETAIL an example of a business owner who has been completely hosed. It was great.

BuckeyeSam on October 27, 2013 at 7:10 PM

OT: 60 Minutes is taking on Benghazi in a few minutes. Open thread?

BuckeyeSam on October 27, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Sam…thanks for the reminder!

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM

every employer should drop all insurance benefits for everyone.
if someone wants insurance why is it the employers job to babysit them?
somehow a benefit has turned into a right in this country.

dmacleo on October 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM

What Obamacare is doing however is increasing the value to employees of an employer-based healthcare plan. Those that have it now are looking at the conflagration in the administration and thanking God for their employer’s plan.

I see a future where job postings highlight a healthcare plan with salary on the second line.

slickwillie2001 on October 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM

JFKY on October 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Give me a decent budget and I could make a string of murderous ads against the ‘rats for 2014.

Of course, they’d all be deemed ‘racist’ for their content…

CPT. Charles on October 27, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Is CBS calling Hillary and the POTUS liars…?

d1carter on October 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Will CBS ask Hillary and Dear Leader how/why they blamed the Youtube video for Benghazi..?

d1carter on October 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Is CBS calling Hillary and the POTUS liars…?

d1carter on October 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM

You crack yourself up.

Rio Linda Refugee on October 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

d1carter on October 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Now you’re cracking me up.

Rio Linda Refugee on October 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

LOL…

d1carter on October 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Is that all CBS is going to do on Benghazi..? Now shutup Sharon Atkisson?

d1carter on October 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

BuckeyeSam on October 27, 2013 at 7:10 PM

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”

That’s the problem with Williams and others on the Left. Their opinion is based on their own lies facts.

The elderly couple Wallace brought up. Their increased deductible and payment is unbelievable. This story is being duplicated. ObamaCare is going to cause suffering, real suffering. That is infuriating. Leftists don’t care about real consequences to their actions.

INC on October 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Sharon Atkisson

Cheryl Attkisson

d1carter on October 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM

d1carter on October 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Does it really matter?

(I said that with a shriek btw )

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Leftists don’t care about real consequences to their actions.

INC on October 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

They won…I guess. Freedom in their world is such a perverted idea.

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM

BuckeyeSam on October 27, 2013 at 7:10 PM

It was EPIC. Even Chris Wallace reminded Juan that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

esr1951 on October 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Sharyl Attkisson ‏@SharylAttkisson 2m

#Benghazi 60 Minutes: witnesses on the ground say it was clear to everyone that the al Qaeda attack was coming.

She is active on Twitter now…

d1carter on October 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Uh huh. Who’d you vote for sweat pea?

kim roy on October 27, 2013 at 7:30 PM

BTW, how do you like your new maternity coverage that is required under your plan?

Resist We Much on October 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Well, for men and women out of childbearing years, it’s a real plus. Whatever happened to adding on specifics for an extra fee if you want it?

Right. My bad. It’s now a one size fits all regardless if you want it or not. Socialism in a nutshell.

kim roy on October 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Yeah, I’m sure all the wimmenz in their 40′s and 50′s need that coverage.

/stupid.

Key West Reader on October 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I’m sure all men are happy to pay for that too.

/stupid.

Key West Reader on October 27, 2013 at 7:41 PM

that every employer should provide on their own.

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Just more of your pomposity.

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM

CBS: “Sharyl who?”

faraway on October 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM

LMFAO I wish I could be there to rub the red velvet cake into libfree’s face.

That fa66ot deserves to be humiliated more than anyone else.

Murphy9 on October 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Hey genius…I know you’re a women and probably romping round with your boyfriend/husband but here’s the thing-I’m a RESPONSIBLE man. That means at the age of 27 I’m still single (gasp) and I HAVEN’T made any babies.

So please explain to me why in the world I should be FORCED (under tax penalty or garnishment of refund) to purchase a plan that includes maternity and pediatric benefits?

SgtSVJones on October 27, 2013 at 7:50 PM

It’s freeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

for the slugs of society but if you have a job you will pay out your arse.

trs on October 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM

60 Minutes: Benghazi

Video of tonight’s program at the link.

INC on October 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM

SgtSVJones on October 27, 2013 at 7:50 PM

SGT, Libfree’s a bit*h but not a woman.

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM

CBS Benghazi

Tonight, you will hear for the first time from a security officer who witnessed the attack. He calls himself, Morgan Jones, a pseudonym he’s using for his own safety.

Safety from the ObamaWorld cultists

faraway on October 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

CBS Benghazi

it’s now well established that the Americans were attacked by al Qaeda in a well-planned assault.

Wait until the public finds out that we were attacked by Al Qaeda again… on Sep 11th

faraway on October 27, 2013 at 7:59 PM

He can set the country against itself and abuse his power a great deal
But taking any responsibly for anything to him just does not appeal
He has less class than the back of a twisted hack
When he morns for anyone but himself the tears run down his back
He will never be an wise and enlightened man
‘Cause he gets his philosophy from a fascist and race baiting garbage can
He has so many hateful pathologies it would make Freud’s knees knock
And his wife’s angry demented look would stop a cuckoo clock
If he would just take responsibility sometime somewhere
His MSM frogs would probably award him the Croix-de-Guerre
His money bundlers and unions get the pie and cake
And all most Americans get is a another bellyache
You might someday forget his smears and class and race warfare yell
But you’ll never forget the sick in the head President from Hell

VorDaj on October 27, 2013 at 7:59 PM

They make 80,000 a year combined and can’t be bothered to pay an additional $40 a month? No one has suffered like these people have suffered.

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

And that people is the money quote! $40 dollars a month now for just this one thing, just this one thing. If it saves just one child. Oh and don’t mind the extra $950 a month coming out for Federal and State Income taxes. Add that to the $866 for the Social Security tax, both the employee and the employer pay, 85 cent a gallon gas tax, sales tax, etc. The average American who works is paying an effective 50% tax rate.

It is never enough, and it is never going to be enough. Lib free and die has pretty much summed up the liberal argument in one simple sentence. It isn’t your money, it belongs to libfree to dole out how she whishes.

Johnnyreb on October 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Many enrollees in this abomination are in for a big surprise when they realize the subsidies go to the insurance companies, and NOT to the enrollees.

Dhuka on October 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Transcript:

INC on October 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Thanks for posting that!

Key West Reader on October 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

…that every employer should provide on their own.

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Just more of your pomposity.

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM

As long as the employer doesn’t provide too much, because then it’s called a Cadillac plan which the proggies also scorn.

Too little healthcare bad; too much healthcare equally bad.

slickwillie2001 on October 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Too little healthcare bad; too much healthcare equally bad.

slickwillie2001 on October 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Equal mediocrity for all.

Key West Reader on October 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Johnnyreb on October 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM

this is correct. Just like the angry shouting crazy leftist that Megan K interviewed, Zeke Emanuel. It is his county to run. Insurance SHOULD have exactly these features. It is a HUMAN RIGHT. And if you disagree you are a racist, reactionary.

You must do this because it is RIGHT…and I can see Everything, and it is MINE to Design.

you can not talk with such people…they are not rational. The big question, these people have lots of money. How do we break the nexus between their wealth and their influence

r keller on October 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM

That crap sammich tastes great, doesn’t it? And you’re paying for it, suckers. Told you so. And you voted for it anyway.

Eat it and pray you stay healthy. If you think the premiums cost a lot, wait until the medical bills show up in the mail. Thanks, Barry.

Philly on October 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Hey ! All you CA liberals who voted overwhelmingly for oba-mao…….. you are finding out what a marxist he really is…… You get what you deserve for voting for the troll. God save us from idiot liberals……..

ultracon on October 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM

r keller on October 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I say we get out of Reid’s way and let them raise taxes on their wealthiest supporters.

txhsmom on October 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Key West Reader on October 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

You’re welcome!

INC on October 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Cadillac plans – “At some point, you’ve got enough insurance”

BobMbx on October 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM

“She said, ‘I was all for Obamacare until I found out I was paying for it,’” Kehaly said.

Hahahahahaha!

noprism on October 27, 2013 at 9:24 PM

It isn’t. But anybody who didn’t know this was going to happen wasn’t paying attention. That’s how the law was designed.

TANSTAAFL

taznar on October 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Another boondoggle with plenty of opportunity for rewarding cronies are the “community transformation grants” awarded by HHS to, I’m sure, Acorn-like groups to teach people to eat less, walk more, and stop smoking.

We’re paying for this.

PattyJ on October 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

$12,700 deductible for a couple will just about cover that kid. Great policy you bought. It’s to bad those who voted for Obama couldn’t try Obamacare first to let us know how it works out. That’s right you are. My individual policy by a total fluke is intact, sucker. I just wish everybody else who doesn’t want to be nailed were as lucky.

CW20 on October 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM

It must really suck to be a LIV. Those of us who paid attention during the ChoomCare debate knew exactly what was going to happen, and were called names by those who didn’t have a clue.

RoadRunner on October 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM

From the linked article:

“All we’ve been hearing the last three years is if you like your policy you can keep it,” said Deborah Cavallaro, a real estate agent in Westchester. “I’m infuriated because I was lied to.”

Lied to?! By Obama? No way! If he had ever lied, you’d have seen it in the newspaper or on the evening news. Since they never said it, it didn’t happen. You’re only saying that you’re losing your insurance because you’re a racist, Deborah.

/treating them like they treat us

Wino on October 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Also from the linked aritcle:

“I’m hoping with this reform,” Lopez said, “we won’t see big increases year after year.”

Yeah. I’m hoping to find a unicorn that drinks water and urinates Crown Royal. I think I’m more likely to find success than you are.

Are you yet another idiot who will keep voting democrat even with the shyte sandwiches they keep feeding you, Mr. Lopez?

Wino on October 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Were you helping with the obamacare website?

Betweeen federal, medicare, SS-which she pays double as self-employed, CA-one of the highest state taxes in the nation, and local taxes, their take home is probably less than $40,000. California has many areas that have very high cost of living. Now instead of paying $1200 per year for insurance they have to pay $2700- for the insurance, plus lots more if they need any care. So they are paying almost 7% of their take home just for health insurance, not rent or mortgage or gas or car insurance or food or retirement savings or actual healthcare, just health insurance.

The total inability of Obama and his supporters to do math beyond the level of a special needs 9 year old while telling the country what is “for their own good” is galling.

Anyone that wasn’t too stupid or lazy to read the Obamacare bill could see this coming.

If you had a no frills plan of course you were going to lose it because it didn’t meet the minimum requirements Obama and his mathematically challenged supporters said you need.

If there are no lifetime limits of course the premiums have to go up-way up-because the insurers need to keep reserves.

It frsots me and most conservatives that a bunch of cognitively challenged sophomoric nimrods have foisted this monstrosity on the country while exempting themselves at least in the form of making someone else pay for their gold premiums.

There should be basic math test to run for office and in my opinion, to vote. (Yes, I know they have been disallowed because they were racist-but see where that has gotten us?)

talkingpoints on October 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Mmmm Mmmmm crap sandwich. Taste like —-.

-Libfreakily

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 27, 2013 at 10:32 PM

libfreeordie on October 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I think it’s great that you no longer even try to hide your dishonesty.

Adjoran on October 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM

“I was all for ObamaCare, until I found out I was paying for it.”

This would be so funny, if they hadn’t helped inflict it on a lot of other people who did see the obvious coming.

David Blue on October 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I don’t know how many watched the Video of Senator Cruz in Iowa pheasant hunting with Rep. King, but wanted to post this info.

Senator Cruz has set up a National Website http://www.makedclisten.org

Stand with Ted and tell your story! Please submit writing, pictures or video below and help us spread the word on the real life impact of this disastrous legislation.

In addition, text 33733 and enter Growth.

If anyone comments on Twitchy, would you please post this info?

A week or so ago, there were many people listing various Insurance Company cancellation letters they had received. Perhaps they can sent that info to the website Cruz has set up.

Thanks.

bluefox on October 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM

In one sense it appears that many proponents and supporters of the PPACA endorsed the goal because it sounded like a good thing and it was expected that it would not really impact them (the If you like your plan you can keep it). At worst, they likely expected to only pay a nominal amount more in their premiums if at all and who can argue about a few bucks more a month. IOW, it was not [really] their money.

Seems like a case of spending someone else’s money on someone else.

Now the industry has to comply and it is adjusting to the new reality of the PPACA. Result – plans that don’t comply with the law get cancelled and the replacement plans cost more because they are required to do more.

Now you are seeing people going, “that’s not what we bargained for” mode. It was expected that everyone would get health coverage and there would be no or minimal collateral effects. Surprise. When you add more things that have to be covered the cost of those things, even if a given individual may never have to use it (like maternity care for a guy) the policy will cost more. But then the protest will be “it was not supposed to happen like that”.

I know that if I were in the same boat, I’d be upset, but that would be true even through I didn’t support the PPACA to begin with. I would be swept along with all the other folks who thought it would perfectly benign.

Russ808 on October 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Am I the only one whose parents taught me, from a very early age— “Nothing is free.”?!

LASue on October 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM

“She and her husband don’t qualify for federal premium subsidies because they earn too much money, about $80,000 a year combined.”

ROFL!!! Welcome the %1 you ****** *****!
Spread the wealth huh? Is there any doubt
that she voted for Obama?

shorebird on October 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM

It’s ‘Sorta Free’ when other people are paying for it.

Many are now finding out they Are the ‘Other People.’

TimBuk3 on October 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM

My patriotic heart is feeling good that libs will suffer along with us & feel the pain that Obamacare, the largest tax increase ever, will bring to Americans….except, of course, the unions, the supremes, Congress, & others who are privy to enjoy exemptions.

Funny thing is, in spite of the pain, the libs will still love their hope & change leader.

Belle on October 28, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Am I the only one liberal whose parents taught me, from a very early age— “Nothing is free.”?!

LASue on October 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM

As changed, “yes.” Of course, we conservatives were taught that, and also math, and also self-reliance, and let’s not forget responsibility for one’s actions.

That’s why we’re conservatives. And also, due to the lack of the above training, why they’re liberals.

Wino on October 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM

“I was all for ObamaCare, until I found out I was paying for it.”

And just who did you think WAS going to pay for it, bozo. Thanks for giving the state to Obama…..TWICE….NOT!!! Not that you Californians have learned anything, you’ll vote overwhelmingly for Hillary in 2016.

kjatexas on October 28, 2013 at 5:16 AM

“Pay up!” you liberal SOBs.

Stepan on October 28, 2013 at 5:43 AM

If you thought health care was costly before this… just wait to you see the cost of ‘free’ services tacked on to every single plan.

And to the couple making $80k/yr, I bet they will go uninsured as that only costs $800/yr in ‘penalty’. That is way cheaper than the jacked up cost of ACA approved ‘health insurance’ for them.

The ACA will only pick up the really unhealthy individuals and those who are poor enough to get a ‘subsidy’ that might just cover the cost of health ‘insurance’. And then it becomes a black hole as insurers will go into a spiral of jacking up rates, and subsidies will not spiral with them. This is a death spiral designed and created by the Democratic Party to convince you that ‘single payer’ will WORK when GOVERNMENT RUNS EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. Mind you it can’t even design a website to do that. So good luck on the single payer sales pitch.

ajacksonian on October 28, 2013 at 5:54 AM

I couldn’t be Happier!!! Let them all remember the Obumbler every month when they pay their High Premiums!! This is AWESOME!! libatards only know there’s a problem when it actually costs them something…Fantastic!

Tbone McGraw on October 28, 2013 at 6:09 AM