Video: “Anchorman 2″ trailer

posted at 8:41 pm on October 23, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, a slight improvement over the last trailer thanks to the introduction of the Brian Fantana “jimmy cabinet.” Although this almost guarantees that the “60 percent of the time, it works every time” concept will be recycled. Oh well. Sequels, man.

The problem with trying to judge this flick based on the trailer is that the trailer’s about teasing the set pieces and that’s not where the big laughs came from in the first film. E.g., the gang-war scene between rival anchor teams in the first movie is perfect fodder for a trailer because the humor is broad and the joke easily grasped. You can yank it out of context and still be amused. All the actual laughs from that scene came in the aftermath, though, when Ron and crew are riffing about what happened. (“I killed a guy with a trident.”) “The Hangover,” which I hate, is sort of the opposite of that — the humor is almost all situational, not dialogue-driven, and situational humor is usually too heavy-handed to be really funny. That’s the mystery in “Anchorman 2.” Will it be more like “The Hangover,” where watching Ron smoke crack is supposed to leave you in stitches but really doesn’t, or will it be more like the first movie where the improv among the cast after the set piece delivers the big payoff?

Exit question: Hey, isn’t that Harrison Ford?

Comments

I shut off Anchorman I 15 minutes into it…

Electrongod on October 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Haven’t seen the first movie, am I missing something.

Bishop on October 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Meh. The first one was less than the sum of its parts, and I’m not a fan of Will Ferrell’s style.

What’s the rating to wait for the DVD to come to Redbox? That would be my rating.

22044 on October 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Haven’t seen the first movie, am I missing something.

Bishop on October 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

The STOP button..

Electrongod on October 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I laughed.

KCB on October 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Wouldn’t sell Will Ferrell a cup of warm pi** if that ignorant jacka** was on fire and holding gold ingots. Seriously, f*** him.

M240H on October 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

“We must see it to see what’s in it…”

But it’s crap…..Delay the release…

Lets not get too bogged down….

Electrongod on October 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM

M240H on October 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Tell us how you really feel. Go on, let it all out.

Jeff Weimer on October 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM

AP

I’m with you.

You obviously got the humor of the first one.

This does seem a little to big in the visuals.

I find it interesting that they decided to emphasize Applegate in this trailer compared to the first, which showcased a groaner subplot of Ron and his new black girlfriend.

They weren’t even going to bring Applegate back until fans let it be known.

budfox on October 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Well at least no on is being raped in Thailand by a she-male, so based on just that it looks better than Hangover 2

batterup on October 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Will Ferrell’s a liberal, so I won’t watch it.

/sarc

RayinVA on October 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Most sequels suck. Perhaps the worst sequel was the remake of Major League.

bw222 on October 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

M240H on October 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Sensing a bit of ambivalence in your answer there.

LincolntheHun on October 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Most sequels suck. Perhaps the worst sequel was the remake of Major League.

bw222 on October 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

That one was pretty bad. I actually saw it before I saw the first one.

I watched the first one in the summer of 1994, a week after the strike started. That felt pretty weird, and the running joke about the ineptitude of the Cleveland Indians felt dated, since they led their division that year.

22044 on October 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I really loved the first one. In fact it is the only Will Farrell movie that is any good at all. But I’ll guess this sequel is going to suck. Hard.

Warner Todd Huston on October 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Most sequels suck. Perhaps the worst sequel was the remake of Major League.

bw222 on October 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Apparently you never saw “The Dirty Dozen: Next Mission”.

Bishop on October 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM

cuccinelli loved anchormen 2

renalin on October 23, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Much better trailer than the first one. It may not be as good as the first Anchorman (which I disliked the first time I saw it), but as long as those are the expectations going in it’ll be decent enough.

changer1701 on October 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Just never thought Ferrell was funny… Watched “Elf” and part of that “Ricky Bobby” movie and I just don’t get him… Just not funny. Same with Seinfeld… Can’t believe that turd of a show lasted a full season…

PointnClick on October 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Most sequels suck. Perhaps the worst sequel was the remake of Major League.

bw222 on October 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Not sure what you’re talking about. There was never a “remake” of Major League. There was Major League 2, which was inferior to the original, but still pretty funny. There was also the third movie, Back to the Minors, which is one of the worst movies ever.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I just don’t find Will Ferrell funny anymore. His schtick has gotten old. It is the same over the top humor. He has no comedic range.

The Notorious G.O.P on October 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Most sequels suck. Perhaps the worst sequel was the remake of Major League.

bw222 on October 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

You’re forgetting Ms. Congeniality II. I would have added the Police Academy sequels but they were “just as good” as the original.

Happy Nomad on October 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on October 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Anymore? There was a time when you did? As you say, he has no range.

Happy Nomad on October 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Anymore? There was a time when you did? As you say, he has no range.

Happy Nomad on October 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM

He was always good as Alex Trebeck as the straight man to Darrell Hammond’s Sean Connery. Again, not really “range,” but a funny bit.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I shut off Anchorman I 15 minutes into it…
Electrongod on October 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

So? I shut off Obama ….like….er…every time I am careless enough to catch him opening his pie hole.

Anchorman is great, though.

It makes a good break from Plutarch.

Sherman1864 on October 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Milk was a bad choice.

verbaluce on October 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Wil Farrell reached his comedic and acting peak with Land of the Lost.

Wasn’t a fan of Anchorman – played like the typical SNL skit that’s too long after the first minute and this one kept going for 90 minutes.
(But I liked him in Elf)

Skywise on October 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I can’t believe all the hate for Anchorman. It has to be one of the most quoted movies in these blogs and all other for the last several years. The movie was hilarious. Very funny. Was it intellectually stimulating? Of course not. Each to their own. I personally am looking forward to this sequel.

Texas T on October 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM

“The Hangover,” which I hate

Okay now, Allah, just take the next step and tell us you hate Anchorman, too. They both suck.

HiJack on October 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Ferrell plays the same character the same way in every single movie. I don’t get it, or him. He is simply not funny.

AnotherRightWingConspirator on October 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM

“Stranger than Fiction” with Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman is the only movie of his that I consider worth watching. If Dennis Miller is at one end of the spectrum (he intentionally tries to stay above the heads of most of his audience, which might be funny but is also just rude), then Ferrell is at the other. You almost have to be an imbecile to not just shake your head at the inanity.

I’m not an Adam Sandler fan either, but I’ll gladly watch any of his movies rather than be subjected to Ferrell’s. At least the writing is good enough that you want to root for his characters. I usually want Ferrell’s to never have existed.

Freelancer on October 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I loathe that commie hollywoodian

I would’nt watch him , well there is no case I would, even a halloween movie with him as lead red shirt…

Over.

JMG

Gauthijm on October 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I would rather light my hair on fire and put it out with a hammer, than watch even a minute of this A-hole’s movies.

Thomas More on October 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM

One night, late, I won’t be able to sleep and like the first one, I will watch it and find several laughs…it won’t be “funny”, it won’t be horrible, it will chew up 90 minutes of “can’t sleep” time and their will be some one liner gems.

You don’t watch these movies to find out if they are up for an academy award…they are time suckers.

right2bright on October 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

right2bright on October 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Well, they do suck, that’s for sure.

Thomas More on October 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

What a dour bunch of people on this site. Does anyone have a sense of humor or know how to laugh?

Old Fritz on October 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I’m young and very conservative. Jonah Goldberg recently said that we need to work harder on embracing technology and pop culture in order to make ourselves and our cause relevant. One of our problems with attracting more people to our side of the argument is that the folks making up our movement are viewed as one or more of the following:

Dorks
Curmudgeons
Old Fashioned
Out of Touch
Surly
Any Adjective that can describe an old man standing in his front yard with dress socks to his knees, shaking his fist at the neighborhood kids.

The comments describing this movie and/or Will Ferrell only go on to further prove this skewed image that uninformed voters and leftist knobjobs have of us.

I realize Will Ferrell is a lefty – he was born and raised in California, so go figure. But damn near all of Hollywood is left of center. If we refuse to watch anything with a leftist in it, though, then we are not a part of the zeitgeist, and we are not going to attract others to our side. It’s hard to get other people to join the cause when we tell them that we like to watch Jesse Stone movies or John Wayne marathons in our spare time.

Anchorman, Step Brothers, Old School, Talladega Nights, Blades of Glory, and Will Ferrell’s SNL skits were funny. SemiPro and Kicking & Screaming, not so much. Listen dorks, pull apart your cheeks and remove the sticks, if not for me, do it for your country!

jfkfc on October 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM

he’s played the same character since his days as the guy yelling at his family about his Dodge.

JR on October 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM