Perry recaps Israel-UK trip

posted at 6:41 pm on October 23, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, I took part in a conference call with Governor Rick Perry of Texas, who is concluding a trip to the UK and especially Israel to encourage foreign investment in Texas.  Perry also officially opened a new Texas A&M facility in Nazareth with Israeli President Shimon Peres, and spoke at length about the shared interests on energy and water management of Texas and Israel.  With Perry still being mentioned as a potential candidate for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, a foreign tour helps to build an argument that the four-term governor will be ready to handle foreign policy, perhaps more than some of his potential competitors.

The rest are my verbatim notes. Items within quote marks are verbatim quotes, while everything else is paraphrase.

Perry offered a quick statement at the start.  The “very productive and historic” trip allowed Perry to spread the word about Texas’ business-friendly environment.  Perry launched Texas A&M International branch in Nazareth with President Shimon Peres today.  The Nazareth branch aims to “move the peace process forward” by promoting understanding between the populations of the region.  This is Perry’s fourth trip to Israel as Governor; the relationship will make a stronger Texas and a stronger Israel. He also met with Netanyahu, and ministers of energy, finance, and “a host of executives” from private-sector firms.  ”All of the conversations have been encouraging,” especially on energy and water issues. Perry says both Israel and Texas have similar issues on water, and both have to stay cutting-edge about fresh-water resources.

In the UK, Perry met with a number of officials, including one involved in climate control.  The trip underscores Texas’ power as a global economic power.  Texas has conducted $265 billion in international trade, which is larger than the GDP of some nations.  Samsung, Toyota, and Apple are investing in Texas.

The countries that succeed in the future will be those who “embrace competition” and free-market economics.  Israel can now export up to 40% of its new natural-gas production, which will create blue-collar jobs for Israelis and strengthen the energy markets around the world.  Texas wants to partner with Israel on those efforts, and Perry believes that this will create even more jobs for Texans too.

Questions:

• What role did you play in Texas A&M expansion and will you someday teach there? – Been in the loop since its inception.  ”Very usual growth” between Israel and Texas on this academic effort, part of a long partnership with Israel that keeps growing stronger with these initiatives. TA&M is in Qatar, operating an engineering school there, so Texas is becoming more influential throughout the region.
  • How does Prop 6 fit into this partnership with Israel? – Very supportive of the legislation, and believes Texans will be “astute” and approve the water treatment facilities.  The Israelis are experts at this.  86% of Israel’s water is re-used; in the US, it’s closer to 1%.  The Israelis can help Texas develop that expertise.
  • Have you heard much about the US efforts on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict [my question]? — Not much.  Israeli officials stayed quiet on that issue, other than restate their long-held positions on the impasse. Texas can’t get involved in that for obvious reasons, but the A&M project can help to make peace more attainable by bringing people from all backgrounds to study together and learn from each other.

Comments

what was the name of that highway perry was going to build across private property?

renalin on October 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

renalin on October 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Sod off eejit.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I told my husband a few days ago, after local talker Robert Pratt mentioned that Perry was in London, ‘He’s running’.
Go Perry!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM

renalin on October 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

The Trans-Texas Corridor.

Stoic Patriot on October 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I am leaning toward Perry in 2016 — if the nation survives Obama until then.

There may be quibbles with Perry, but he is a proven, tough, gutsy, solidly conservative leader with maturity.

Cruz and Paul are good, but we need some calm experience and maturity desperately. They might stir the pot TOO much.

How about Perry/Paul 2016?

Whitewolf7070 on October 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

How about Perry/Paul 2016?

Whitewolf7070 on October 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

My dream ticket

gophergirl on October 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Go Perry!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Good I hope he does.

gophergirl on October 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I would like the GOP to run the gunniest gunnut they can find.

mad saint jack on October 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM

renalin is not an eejit.

22044 on October 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Laying down a marker for 2016?

Nah, he would have popped in to Saudi Arabia to give the king a tongue bath.

BL@KBIRD on October 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I’ve been liking the ads Perry has been running.

Cindy Munford on October 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM

renalin on October 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Sod off eejit.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Perry has quite a bit of stuff he is going to have to adjust on to earn my vote.

He has way too much Big Government in him still for my tastes.

Your statement to just “sod off” is likely to be very much taken.

I will not vote for him with his current unrepentant attitude.

I do not want him to say that he said something in the wrong way when he effectively called people like me heartless. I want him to learn what was wrong in his heart that put him on the wrong side of the issue.

I do not want to hear that he had to attack parental rights in order to help their children. I want him to figure out why he is on the wrong side of the issue.

We all know that he is going to be a big pusher for amnesty for illegal invaders. He seems to have more in common with the neighbors to the south than he does with someone like me from the good old heartland of this nation.

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

1. Good that you are travelling and broaden your horizons.

2. Please dont run and waste our time!+

3. … Um …

Valkyriepundit on October 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM

renalin is not an eejit.

22044 on October 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM

….renalin is good people twerp!

KOOLAID2 on October 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I’ve seen a few Perry ads…impressed

He’s probably ‘testing the waters’ to see if he can raise the $ to run again. And certainly he learned a lot from his previous run

Redford on October 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Go Perry, Perry 2016. The best governing conservative

bzip on October 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM

What ever happened to that Texas Independence push Perry was talking about? Haven’t crossed his line in the sand for when that was supposed to kick in? Can’t imagine what he’d be waiting for at this point. That state will go ‘rat in ten years.

Buddahpundit on October 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Notice you don’t like any Republicans?

So who do you vote for? Cory Booker or Hillary Clinton

Or do you sit at home and pout?

Redford on October 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I have to say I would much prefer Perry over anti-gun Cristie or Paul. Now people will shout and scream at me about Paul, but Independents will never ever go for him. Sorry.

Johnnyreb on October 23, 2013 at 7:47 PM

renalin is not an eejit.

22044 on October 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM

….renalin is good people twerp!

KOOLAID2 on October 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

we’ve been at each others throats for years.
Much of the time-he’s an eejit.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Oh lease! Perry is certainly not an amnesty/ open-boarders nut.
He was my choice in ’12
He’s my choice in ’16.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Notice you don’t like any Republicans?

So who do you vote for? Cory Booker or Hillary Clinton

Or do you sit at home and pout?

Redford on October 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I grew up watching Reagan on TV. I voted for all the pathetic (R)s that made it into the general with the exception of McCain.

Unfortunately, I was slow at growing up. I have now put asside those childish things. My vote is not going to continue to be used to enslave me. The Republican party has to earn my vote, one candidate at a time now.

I guess your vote is automatic and thus worthless.

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I like Perry but he is not fighting like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul.

I would like to see him dishing Obama a healthy dose of Texas defiance.

HondaV65 on October 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Oh lease! Perry is certainly not an amnesty/ open-boarders nut.
He was my choice in ’12
He’s my choice in ’16.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM

You are right, he is not a NUT on the issue. But he is an amnesty man. Whether or not he has ever said otherwise. His heart belongs to illegal aliens, not American Citizens. Until I see strong evidence to the contrary, I will not support him.

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM

The reason I backed Perry in the last primary was because he is the perfect “compromise” candidate between the Tea Party and the Establishment. He has contacts in the establishment – but a lot of ‘em regard him as an outsider. He has contacts in the Tea Party – but they’re skeptical of his establishment contacts.

I thought he would be a good compromise … IN THE LAST ELECTION.

This time? F*ck compromise – let’s pick a tea party candidate and ram him down the throats of the Rinos.

HondaV65 on October 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM

The Trans-Texas Corridor.

Stoic Patriot on October 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

yeah, that’s it thanks.

a real conservative that perry feller/

renalin on October 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

how funny, you ding him for big government and you were whining about ethanol mandate repeal the other day. guess you’re selective in your whining huh?

chasdal on October 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM

yeah, that’s it thanks.

a real conservative that perry feller/

renalin on October 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM

the Texas Constitution empowers the governor and the legislature to purchase private property to build roads. and when he saw there wasn’t support he killed it. sounds like a stand up guy. but you keep sniping like the gutter trash you obviously are.

chasdal on October 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM

and the mask drops, not that anyone doubted your completely irrational reasoning. you show it so often.

chasdal on October 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM

chasdal on October 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM

You misread my argument obviously. I am 100% against any ethanol mandate or government subsidies.

You see, my argument was that people who claim to have ownership of other people’s money in the form of Social Security and Medicare have no MORAL standing to pipe in on the side of getting rid of the mandate. As they demand that they be paid because they paid taxes and they planned their lives based on being able to rob the children of their earnings like school yard bullies stealing lunch money.

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM

chasdal on October 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM

It is not my mask that will drop. It will be Perry’s. When he talks, he always sides with the illegals against the American Citizens. Just because he is smart enough to know the base will not vote for him if he pipes in about illegal amnesty as he views it does not mean he is against it.
So, unless you have some hard facts that show where he is against amnesty, something that is not based on campaigning for office, then

I have every right to be suspicious of the man who said I was heartless because I did not think that illegal children should be allowed to get preferential treatment in Texas schools over someone who legally resides in the country.

He effectively said, American Citizens from other states have lower standing in Texas than ILLEGAL ALIENS.

that mask has slipped.

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I’m up for a Texas vs. Washington DC fight.

monalisa on October 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

The Trans-Texas Corridor.

Stoic Patriot on October 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

thanks.

renalin on October 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Good for Rick Perry..Smart move..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM

The Trans-Texas Corridor.

Stoic Patriot on October 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

thanks.

renalin on October 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Yawn. The country is going to he!! in a handbasket, and you bring up old news that most Texans have stopped worrying about.

jazzuscounty on October 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM

that mask has slipped.

astonerii on October 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

No, he effectively said the Feds do nothing to secure the border or deport illegals, so it is up to Texas to do something with children who were brought to Texas by their parents and have lived there most of their lives. Subsidize their education with in-state tuition or give them welfare. Until the feds get serious, that was the choice.

I prefer Perry’s solution to yours.

Oh, and by the way…people like you are the reason we wound up with Romney last time. None of the authentically conservative candidates were pure enough for you.

DRayRaven on October 24, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Perry is my guy for 2016. His Tea Party credentials are as good as Sarah Palin or Ted Cruz. He spoke at the first Tea Party rally I went to on the steps of Austin city hall and delivered an amazing and rousing speech. He did this early on before it was ‘the thing’ to be with the Tea Party because he has always been a strong supporter of our US Constitution.

He was the first and one of the only people currently in office to support the Tea Party. He is not a compromise between the establishment and the Tea Party. The RINO establishment hates him. He has back gun rights, pro-life laws, rejected medicaid expansion and Obamacare exchanges and done a lot of good for Texas that has made the establishment squirm. Ted Cruz is a great guy, and I hope he has a long productive political career, but he has only been in office a few months and given a few speeches. Perry is the Tea Party candidate who has actual governing experience.

I think he will be much better prepared for the primaries this time. There is a long history people losing their first presidential primary and going on to being a winning candidate.

bitsy on October 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM