Dick Durbin: Unnamed House Republican told Obama in meeting, “I cannot even stand to look at you”; Update: Doubles down

posted at 4:01 pm on October 23, 2013 by Allahpundit

Ed flagged this in the Greenroom but I want to bring it to the front page. I think it’s less of a curio than something Durbin should answer for.

Many Republicans searching for something to say in defense of the disastrous shutdown strategy will say President Obama just doesn’t try hard enough to communicate with Republicans. But in a “negotiation” meeting with the president, one GOP House Leader told the president: “I cannot even stand to look at you.”

What are the chances of an honest conversation with someone who has just said something so disrespectful?

True or false? False, says John Boehner. False, says Eric Cantor. False, says … Jay Carney.

JAY CARNEY: I will say this, I spoke with somebody who was in that meeting and it did not happen.

QUESTION: Did the White House speak to Senator Durbin about this?

CARNEY: I don’t know. My understanding is that, again, from participants in the meeting that that didn’t happen.

QUESTION: Did anything like it happen that would –

CARNEY: Not that I’m aware of, Jackie.

Jonathan Strong’s obviously right that if this had actually happened, especially during the shutdown, Democrats would have pushed it out into big media as evidence of how rude and recalcitrant Republicans are rather than farming it out to Dick Durbin for a three-sentence Facebook post. And do note: That post was published three days ago, on October 20th, not late last night or this morning. He’s had three days to correct it or yank it down, but either he made the whole thing up and assumed his own party wouldn’t call him on it or he got bad info from someone and didn’t care enough about whether it was true to check with a second source. Which is it?

Two strands to this story now. One: Will it get picked up in lefty media despite Carney’s denial? The idea of a Republican being this personally rude to Obama is worth 45 minutes of navel-gazing about “extremism” and “neo-confederates” on “Hardball.” Tingles might not be able to resist, even if it’s all a big lie. Two: How would Durbin be privy to something a House Republican said during a meeting with Obama? O did meet with House GOP reps during the shutdown, but as far as I know there were no Democrats present. Some Democrats, i.e. Reid and Pelosi, were present when Obama met with the Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress, but no one seriously believes either Boehner or Mitch McConnell would say something this obnoxious to Obama. Assuming Durbin’s not making this up whole cloth, someone in either the White House or in Congress smeared the GOP in feeding him this nonsense. Who was it?

Update: I guess this answers the first question.

Update: If Harry Reid could get away with smearing Mitt Romney over his alleged failure to pay taxes, why wouldn’t Durbin think he could get away with this?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Brain glitch?

faraway on October 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

i can’t stand to look or listen to him, welcome to the club, you’ve got a 3 year membership

burserker on October 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Floriduh

Key West Reader on October 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Miss Floriduh, wonder how she is doing.

Barred on October 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Lol +1 KJ

cmsinaz on October 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Squirrel! Just one more distraction from the dismal failure that O’care is.

HiJack on October 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Unnamed Senate Democrat leader said _____.

Unnamed Senate Democrat leaders said _____.

Christien on October 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

One thing for sure. Democrats have raised lying to an art form.

kemojr on October 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Durbin’s already sidestepping. Notice the change — “I can’t stand to look at YOU!” to “Hse ldrshp R said they can’t stand to look at Obama”, which is something he could say that he heard in passing while he was taking a whiz.

Weasel. And yet the lapdogs will lap it up.

Matticus Finch on October 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM

leftists machine thugs like Durbin understand that the important thing is to create anger/fear in their voters. The rest is irrelevant. The message with turn into an urban myth that reinforces the hatred the d voters have for rs.

they did this with herbert hoover for 50 years. It is who they are

r keller on October 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I want to know who said it Dick, so I can buy them a chicken dinner.

NCPatriot75 on October 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Hold on now. I was not in that meeting and I’m not a member of the House.

bgibbs1000 on October 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Squirrel! Just one more distraction from the dismal failure that O’care is.

HiJack on October 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Sorry but a half a billion dollar failure isn’t going to be hidden by the comments from a Dick.

Happy Nomad on October 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Could you imagine sitting down at a table with that fker?

Murphy9 on October 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Ditto.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Exactly!

And I have it on the personal assurance of an anonymous telephone caller that Dickless Durbin is a pedophile.

GarandFan on October 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

i can’t stand to look at him to.

gerrym51 on October 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I believe Durbin on this.

According to another unnamed House Democrat, at the same meeting, Howard Stern roped down from the rafters as Fartman, accepted an award nobody knew was being given out, and ascended back from where he came.

Video of the stunt can be seen here.

Details still trickling out about the event are reminiscent of some Bohemian Grove-type Pagan romp, so I wouldn’t doubt anything.

sartana on October 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Ah, another unnamed source as reliable as the one Ulsterman used.

False, says … Jay Carney.

Uh oh. Someone forgot to relay the lie to Carney.

If he isn’t making this up, look for the liberal that has a smaller behind. It got that way from the gnawing that took place for failing to pass the lie on to Carney.

Update: Doubles down

He’s a liberal. Doubling down on lies is what liberals do.

rukiddingme on October 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Healthcare.gov Refers Users to Uncertified Navigators and Assisters…
Launch spawns over 700 cyber-squatters…
Feds invoke ‘privacy’ to shield public employees while snooping on rest…
CBSNEWS: Website Underestimates Cost of Insurance…
Millions of Americans Losing Health Plans…
Senate Dems Up For Re-Election To Back Mandate Delay…

REPORT: OBAMACARE MANDATE MAY BE DELAYED

Pelosi wets panties. She hates the delay.

Schadenfreude on October 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Off Topic: Check this out from Drudge Report. Did WH fake woman’s Rose Garden faint?

I watched it several times and I think there is something to this.

mechkiller_k on October 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Even if retracted and proven to be a lie – it’s out there, and the retraction will get one tenth the coverage that the lie did, so most of the no-info nitwits that heard the lie will simply continue to believe it.

This a shameless, unethical, and thoroughly reprehensible way to behave – and with the media backing you up, it works, apparently.

Midas on October 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I don’t get it. Is this a new unprecedented behavior?

Bmore on October 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM

REPORT: OBAMACARE MANDATE MAY BE DELAYED

Pelosi wets panties. She hates the delay.

Schadenfreude on October 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Another backfire. They blamed the GOP for shutting down govt over the issue to delay it and chastised them for it–now they want to delay it–that will play well in HypocriteLand…

hillsoftx on October 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Now we know why Howard Dean said “EEEEEEEEYYYYYAAAAAAAAHHH.”

kemojr on October 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Here we go with faintgate!

Or more properly, faintaquiddick.

How did Obama know she was fainting behind him. There are no clues to that. He had to have been given the nod from a handler.

Murphy9 on October 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I understand the sentiment. The Republicans are probably lying about it because it would put them in a position of chastising someone who most Republicans agree with and/or it puts them in a position of defending the Alynskyite menace in the White House.

Buddahpundit on October 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM

So, who’s really surprised that Liberals Lie?

Just a few samples:
Hillary, we landed under fire.
Horse Face, we murdered innocent women and children (Vietnam).
Bill Clinton, I did not have sexual relations with that women.
Pelosi, we were never briefed on interrogation methods.
President Obama, when his lips are moving. (refer to Rep. Wilson)

Time does not allow me to continue.

DDay on October 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Unfortunately no Republican said such a thing… I wish someone did because this most incompetent fool welfare queens agitator deserves every bit of disrespect since he has zero respect to the office of the Presidency…

mnjg on October 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

So Walsh is willing to call Carney & the WH liars until Durbin admits tha he is one.

katiejane on October 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Well it’s obviously racist. As any of our Statist Overlords can tell you: If things are going badly distract the LIV’s (low information voters) with a report of a racist comment by a Republican or better yet a Tea Party member. Lather, rinse, repeat until conditions improve.

Sargeant_S on October 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Murphy9 on October 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM

If you watched the video, it was pretty clear that the person standing behind the women had already noticed her fainting and helped steady her, then the President stepped in to help. I’m sure he would have noticed the commotion going on behind him. Unless he is deaf.

DDay on October 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Comedy gold. In this day and age if you say something inflammatory like that you better be ready to back it up and have a witness. Because the folks in DC are all about the truth!

I don’t need a sarc tag for that. It actually goes like this: If you’re a republican and you say something inflammatory like that you better be ready to back it up and have a witness. If you’re a democrat, it’s just Wednesday.

scalleywag on October 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Everything depends on context. It’s sounds like something Beohner could say just before he teared up and dropped to his knees.

Ted Torgerson on October 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Gd Boner and may Pelosi take his hammer, if he has amnesty passed. He deserves NO less. She will have won it.

Schadenfreude on October 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Update: Doubles down

I believe Durbin. Whoever said it should just proudly admit it and tell us if Boehner, Cantor and Carney heard it but are lying to the American people.

Buddahpundit on October 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM

“I’m a fan of Obama, but his continuing reliance and dependence upon a vacuous cipher like Valerie Jarrett concerns me,” he once tweeted.

Schadenfreude on October 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Big deal, even if true.

Harry Reid called GWB a loser in front of a high school class and refused to apologize for it.

Which is worse? Say something vituperative directly to the President’s face in a private meeting?

Or to say something vituperative in public when you’re 2,000 miles away from the President?

I’ll go with the latter.

Chris of Rights on October 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I vote against Senator DumDum every six years, but it doesn’t seem to do any good. He still gets elected and America gets screwed again.

polarglen on October 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Now one in the gop has the testicles to say this.

And if they did I’d like for them to be Speaker!!!!

PappyD61 on October 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM

polarglen on October 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM

There is absolutely no reason Durbin should be a senator. Any woman or minority should be able to primary this obsolete white male Democrat.

Buddahpundit on October 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM

iPad thingy

PappyD61 on October 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I cannot even stand to look at you

Thats supposed to be out of bounds in our political debate? Stating that somebody said it amounts to an accusation? What? How pathetic is that?

Being polemical is a fine part of our political tradition and we shouldnt let the “civility” crap, which is as bad these days as the “diversity” nonsense, wimp down our politics. We all have big-boy pants lying around somewhere and I wished we would get them on and stopped whining when political debate gets nasty.

To the contrary: we should be glad if politicians loathe each other. An adversarial atmosphere makes it much more likely that the opponent is adequately scrutinized and held accountable. The DC folks shouldnt get too chummy with each other. Thats simply not in our interest.

Valkyriepundit on October 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Our president has now been reduced to crying in the corner because the mean kids called him names.

Terrific.

KMC1 on October 23, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I can’t stand to look at him either.

Arnold Yabenson on October 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM

If the media really wants to go somewhere, let’s start asking Dick Durbin about Lois Lerner and if he had any coordination with her about investigating the tea party. Did Durbin call the IRS and ask that Lerner be able to retire rather than face scrutiny in the House?

I’m sure there are many things in Durbin’s closet the MSM could look at if they were so inclined.

bflat879 on October 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Oh, noes. NSA has bugged my house, too?

BetseyRoss on October 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM

My sources tell me the statement was in the form of a question.

“I cannnot even stand to look at you?”

To which Obama replied:

“Shut up. Down on your knees like everybody else.”

fogw on October 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM

We all know he is Dick.

antisocial on October 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM

My sources tell me the statement was in the form of a question,

“I cannot even stand to look at you?”

To which Obama replied:

“Shut up. Down on your knees like everyone else!”

fogw on October 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

OT……the push begins for the loss of MORE Individual liberty……being able to drive YOUR car….where YOU want.

Progressives never sleep. They are relentless.

PappyD61 on October 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Dick Turban, at it again.

Sigh. I wish the Illinois GOP had someone with clout to take this guy down, but it’s more likely to be a 2014 primary between Andy “Jew Power” Martin and Joe “Child Support” Walsh for the seat.

KingGold on October 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I believe Durbin.

Buddahpundit on October 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Outside of Chicago, you’re the only one.

98ZJUSMC on October 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM

“cannot” is a little stitled.

Plus, if any Repub actually had the cajones to make a crack like that, he’d have the cajones to put in the irrestible truth “you commie piece of sheeit”.
So I’m calling bullmooch on this one.

justltl on October 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Just came from an eatery that had MSNBC on and Sharptoon was ranting about it with a banner that said Anatomy of a Smear.

docflash on October 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Bullsh*t. I was at that meeting too, and I know for a fact that even if someone had said this to Obama, Durbin couldn’t have heard because he and alleged pederast Harry Reid were too busy getting serviced by the some interns.

For realzies.

RINO in Name Only on October 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Joan Walsh is probably the most predictable hack ever to pick up a pen, so her opinion is really worth less than zero.

stout77 on October 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Dick Turban. The gift that keeps on giving.

chewmeister on October 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM

stout77 on October 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Referencing Joan Walsh, of Salon, as a hack, is insulting hacks.

She’s little more than an intellectually and ethically bankrupt apparatchik – an useful idiot of the hard left.

Athos on October 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM

At the risk of a jinx, I’ve noticed that all the usual trolls are sitting this thread out.

I’ll take that as a clue.

CPT. Charles on October 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM

and I watched the fainting video…..I would put NOTHING past them.

PappyD61 on October 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

If Durbin’s lips are moving, he’s lying. But in fairness, if I had been at the meeting I wouldn’t have been as polite.

CTimbo on October 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Enuf with the pc bs. What’s obnoxious about someone truthfully telling POTUS or anyone for that matter? If that’s how they feel about it, so be it. Granted it won’t give you negotiating space to be blunt and could disadvantage your negotiations, but rude/obnoxious not at all.

AH_C on October 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM

The basic point remains that Obama does not deserve respect. He is not a good person, in the first place, and he is disgracing the Office of the President of the United States, in the second place.

Pretending that Obama deserves respect is not wise.

goodold_lucifer on October 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Durban is a liar and a scoundrel. He should be beaten to within an inch of his life with a suitable stick. Other than that I feel no enmity toward the man.

I also cannot stand the sight or the sound of Obama’s voice.

claudius on October 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Who says Durbin is lying really?

Hey – if there’s a GOP rep that has the balls to say that shit to Obama’s face – I want to know his name so I can shake his hand!

I really hope that Durbin isn’t lying.

HondaV65 on October 23, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Should have hauled off and smacked him one while he was at it. Might as well get your money’s worth, I say.

Cleombrotus on October 23, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Well, Harry Reid is a bit bolder, fearing nothing. Of course, alleged pedophiles often are…

JohnGalt23 on October 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Of course it’s a lie, and when it’s finally and conclusively shown to be one, the left will argue that the fact that Durbin could even consider saying something like this proves that people might believe it, which just goes to show you that Republicans oppose Obama’s agenda because they’re racists who hate America.

morganfrost on October 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM

If it didn’t happen, i’m going to be very disappointed.

seanrobins on October 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Well….I can’t stand to look at him either. Even though he is nice on the eyes, BUT he lied to me.

mmcnamer1 on October 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Allah I would love to read your stories if I had the time.

rjcylon on October 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM

What was Durbin thinking telling such a shameful and obvious lie? Even if the LEFT decided to go with it… despite Carney’s flat out denial that it ever happened… it would only serve to weaken Obama for allowing that sort of disrespect of the office of the president to go unchallenged and unremarked. It’s tantamount to insubordination.

thatsafactjack on October 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Either give a name or blow it out your lying ASS, Durbin.

BillC on October 23, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Lying Dick.

AshleyTKing on October 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM

So I guess the President is in trouble again, huh.

Time to roll out “racism”.

MTF on October 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Must be a Durbin Legend.

virgo on October 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM

What’s the big deal??? Isn’t EVERYBODY sick of Obama’s lying face???

landlines on October 24, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Next time on of your libtard friends points to Salon as an objective source, point right back to Joan Walsh’s twitter comment.

smoothsailing on October 24, 2013 at 4:36 AM

I don’t know of anyone who can stand to look at this Idiot. The ones who do has their nose up his rear end.

tmgrant on October 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I can’t stand looking at Obama either. And yes, I disrepect him–he is ia self-centered demagogue.

zoyclem on October 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM

It is obvious, based on our years of dhimocraptic experience, that Dick (with emphasis on the dick) Durban is projecting his own feelings about obama. By the way, what happened to that great dhimocraptic virtue of political civility?

Old Country Boy on October 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I change the channel every time Bambi speaks so I can not disagree with the sentiment. However, I don’t believe any congress critter who would say that would be in a meeting with The Won.

TfromV on October 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Can’t blame anybody if they did indeed say it.I have absolutely no respect for the man and it makes me sick to just look at him.Couldn’t care less if he is the President.Look, when you know that Obama wants to transform the country into a third world socialist country, that in itself precludes respect for he guy.

redware on October 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I don’t blame the anonymous Republican if this did indeed happen. However, if Durbin was there, that lying piece of poo should have been included as well.

jpmn on October 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Shouldn’t Dick Durbin’s real name be:
Richard Head and not Richard Durbin
After all he is a Dick Head

Art on October 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Pretending that Obama deserves respect is not wise.

goodold_lucifer on October 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I’m going through this at work. The people I work under are dishonest, untrustworthy, and unethical with absolutely ZERO leadership skills.
I often feel I’m working for OBama. Especially after I was just thrown under the bus.

Badger40 on October 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM

What is so news-worthy about that? Everyone I know says they can’t stand to look at that Mutant!!!He is a despicable, arrogant liar!! He is lower than whale shit and that’s at the bottom of the ocean!!

Jersey Dan on October 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM