Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on October 20, 2013 by Allahpundit

Because he’s the main lightning rod for tea-party upset after the failure of “defund,” I thought Mitch McConnell would want to lie low for awhile in the aftermath. Nope: He’s the star guest on “Face the Nation” this a.m., where he’ll field questions like “Did you really know this was doomed back in July?” and “How do you feel about Sarah Palin wanting to send you into retirement?” Look for him to reassure tea partiers that he loves them lots and lots in between pronouncing the last three weeks a disaster that won’t soon be repeated.

Intriguingly, Ted Cruz and Sunday-morning mainstay John McCain will both be on CNN’s “State of the Union” — almost certainly not in the same segment, but a man can hope. Oh, and Marco Rubio will be on “Fox News Sunday” to remind people that he still believes in the American dream. The full line-up is at Politico.

Comments

*barf*

Valkyriepundit on October 20, 2013 at 8:06 AM

1 comment in 16 minutes? Heh.

22044 on October 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

… for everyone except Americans

Lost in Jersey on October 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I know what you’re thinking: “I wonder if the network news cabal is going to air all viewpoints and give a fair reading today on the issues of the day?”

Don’t be silly. See under each show, the total number of conservatives among the 4 to 6 involved in the discussion:

“Meet the Press” on NBC
• House Monkey Liberal
• Kook Left Lib
• Lame Duck conservative who likes to hang out with Libs
• Irrelevant Isreali

Conservatives: 0 (or 1, if you are more gracious than I)

“Face the Nation” on CBS

1 out of 4!

“Fox News Sunday” on Fox
• Conservative with amnesty fetish
• Communist
• RINO
• Conservative

All Republican views aired!

“State of the Union” on CNN
• Con
• Liberal Republican

Republican views “moderated” by Liberal activist — what could possibly go wrong?!

“Political Capital” on Bloomberg TV
• House Monkey Liberal
• Lame Duck Liberal

3 for 3 Liberals

“Newsmakers” on C-SPAN
• Kook Left

Kook Left only

“Al Punto” on Univision
• Closet Communist Muslim doing his race politics schtick
• Senate House Monkey Liberal

Kook left only

There it is … same old, same old.

Jaibones on October 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Blessed Sabbath, Patriots!

Status quo, you know, is Latin for ‘the mess we’re in’.

– Ronald Reagan
My take: “The Republican Civil War: Bold Colors Vs. Pale Pastels”

kingsjester on October 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Oh, and Marco Rubio will be on “Fox News Sunday” to remind people that he still believes in the American dream...for Illegals

Keyboard must have been sticky–I updated.

hillsoftx on October 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

John McCain may have to become the next Arlen Specter since he no longer supports the Republican Party.

*double-barf*

Rovin on October 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Note to self: if you are bored on future Sunday mornings and tempted to turn on the TV, start yanking out your eyebrows, one hair at a time.

It’ll be less painful.

22044 on October 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM

What, no Sebelius?

scalleywag on October 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM

ummmm, I think I’m going to pass on this one…y’all have fun now ya hear?

lsm sure is obsessed with cruz…scared?

cmsinaz on October 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM

cmsinaz on October 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Yep.

kingsjester on October 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Headlines; KHN “Thousands get health insurance cancellation notices’
As you read the piece, it’s not “thousands”, it’s hundreds of thousands, maybe millions who are losing their health insurance this month.
I’m sure the Dems will be asked about this strange happening, since we were promised we could “keep our insurance”.
yeah, right.

srdem65 on October 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Jaibones on October 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Well done, Jailbones! Perfect descriptors. More please… each Sunday morning.

ReagansRight on October 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Oh silly me, I guess I haven’t had quite enough coffee yet this morning. I know no one should have to answer for the disaster this administration has instilled upon the American people…or explain why it cost over $600 million to cobble together something that doesn’t work…or how much longer they’re going to insist that there are only “glitches”, easily fixable in a matter of weeks. Nope, I must have been only half awake to suggest that the woman in charge come on a Sunday show and talk about the clusterfark.

scalleywag on October 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

everything is the tea party’s fault…the lsm meme of the am…

cmsinaz on October 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM

LOL. I think Sean Hannity provides Marco with talking-points. He certainly promotes Marco every chance he gets.

Punchenko on October 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

With all the talk spent on the Tea Party evils, there’ll be no time for
Obamacare/ACA questions. Go figure.

conservative pilgrim on October 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Will Face the Nation ask McConnell about the $3 billion Kentucky Kickback? Doubtful. They’ll save those knives for another day. Today, their laments and tsk-tsk’ing are reserved for Cruz and the Tea Party.

conservative pilgrim on October 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I’m looking forward to Jeb Bush’s pearls of wisdom. Maybe he will throw a bone Marco’s way with a “demographics” lecture.

Punchenko on October 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

conservative pilgrim on October 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM

this right here…they’ll spend 55 minutes bashing the tea party and ted cruz and 5 minutes on obamacare

cmsinaz on October 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Sunday shows in a nutshell:

Journolister: So, who was hurt hardest by the shutdown?

Panel of Fools: REPUBLICANS!

Journolister: Who else?

Panel of Fools: TED CRUZ!

Journolister: And who won?

Panel of Fools: OBAMA! DEMOCRATS! PROGRESS!

Jeb Bush: I think Republicans need to be mindful that the country is changing which is why they need to nominate a Rubio/Bush ticket for 2016. I of course would be that Bush.

Punchenko on October 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Haha. Marco is so full of it.

bluegill on October 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM

McCain is nothing more than a career, GOP ‘Establishment’, job-protecting RINO, & McConnell is a TRAITOR TO CONSERVATIVES, a flat out self-serving gutless DEMOCRAT who uses the initials ‘GOP’.

easyt65 on October 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM

…picked up the Detroit News this morning…Surprise!…one of front page headlines finally discusses ObamaCare “Health care costs soar for businesses…Workers may pay the price Employees could lose coverage or face higher premiums and co-pays”………..of course…here on October 13th…it is “THE LAW Politicians” passed into law…not the Democrats!

KOOLAID2 on October 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM

everything is the tea party’s fault…the lsm meme of the am…

cmsinaz on October 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM

…it’s Sunday…and I say the politburo press…can burn in he11!

KOOLAID2 on October 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Take a good look at the caption picture. This will probably be the last time that smug SOB will have a smile on his face, until he goes to his new job as a lobbyist.

Old Country Boy on October 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Jeb Bush was introduced on ABC as a “GOP star”.

Punchenko on October 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM

There it is … same old, same old.

Jaibones on October 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

That was well done — thanks.

CaptFlood on October 20, 2013 at 9:08 AM

… for everyone except Americans

Lost in Jersey on October 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Racist.

/s

oryguncon on October 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM

KOOLAID2 on October 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM

What, you mean the government takeover that Republicans voted against and repeatedly tried to stop? The one they warned would be a costly disaster that businesses could ill afford…causing layoffs and cutbacks? The one they tried to delay because it’s clearly a government boondoggle the likes of which we could never have imagined? THAT Health Care law?

scalleywag on October 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I was shocked as I looked up the polling on the Va. race with the punk leading cuch. We probably need better candidates. If mitch the bitch wins in Kentucky we know things are in a bad way.

rodguy911 on October 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I want Geraldo Rivera fired from Fox News. He doesn’t belong there. He is a sensationalistic tabloid junk reporter. He’s worthless trash.

bluegill on October 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I can’t be as angry at McConnell as the rest of you. Historically he has been pretty conservative and I’ll bet he doesn’t end up bashing the Tea Party. I woke up to a Huckabee lecture on calling fellow Republicans name and giving up on the “The Party”, I might have missed it but I don’t think he took John McCain, LindseyBell, King, etc. etc. to task. I don’t understand it but you don’t see Democrats metricize each other.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM

1 comment in 16 minutes? Heh.

22044 on October 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

What is there to say?

If John McCain is the GOP I quit.

harlekwin15 on October 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Because it was obvious he doesn’t. He’s just another Democrat plant.

JellyToast on October 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Headlines; KHN “Thousands get health insurance cancellation notices’
yeah, right.

srdem65 on October 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM
……………………

Uhhhh…. let’s see. Obamacare doesn’t work, private companies are all broke, what’s left?
Oh yeah! The single payer program! The federal govt. will solve all our problems. Seems the regime wins! Whether obamcare works or not! Tell me this was not all thought out well in advance.

rodguy911 on October 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Gee, the Queen of the Death Panels isn’t available?

I’m shocked, shocked I tell you!

Khun Joe on October 20, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Everyday I am becoming more convinced that the 2016 GOP nomination will come down to two men:

Ted Cruz vs. Chris Christie

That is the GOP civil war in a nutshell right there. Plus for all the people (mostly party elite) who want the GOP nominee to have an easy ride, I would refer you to Obama vs. Hillary in 2008. For all the people who think this won’t happen I will just say this..all the base will mostly rally around Cruz and all the Big Business / Neo-Cons / elites will rally around Christie. They both have the ego, the ability to speak, and personify the two competing factions well. Obviously I hope Cruz kicks fat boy’s ass.

Also the Democrat nomination will be a boring as heck in comparison…so that will be a good thing for the GOP.

William Eaton on October 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Huckster the Akin supporter.

the_nile on October 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM

It took me a long time to decide what made McCain act the way he does; McConnell has been a much easier mystery to solve. They are simply corrupt to the core, bought and paid for by the highest bidder.

claudius on October 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

the_nile on October 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM

That’s another thing, the Left keeps defining deviance down and somehow our folks are the only ones who suffer from it. Except Weiner, of course, but that’s only because we had Brietbart back then. I was watching Red Eye last night and Shultz (kidding, I assume) started saying that the Obamacare website was only having problems in states with Republican governors. I can actually see that catching on and becoming the narrative.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Jaibones on October 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Well done! It does make one wi dee why these shows are considered at all relevant.

herm2416 on October 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Wi dee = wonder.

Sure would help had I reviewed first!

herm2416 on October 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Dude has a complicated chin.

Akzed on October 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I don’t understand it but you don’t see Democrats metricize each other.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I’m glad you said that, I wondered about that myself. As if we didn’t have enough problems to deal with, them picking each other apart makes them look petty and spiteful…just like when the president picks on them it makes him look petty and spiteful. Can’t they just try and get along, seeing as how they’re supposed to be on the same page/mission? It’s very disappointing.

scalleywag on October 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM

This is why they keep her off these type of shows;

narciso on October 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM

We need more dams in Kentucky..!

d1carter on October 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM

…we keep giving the left ideas…and their politburo press…runs with it!

KOOLAID2 on October 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM

bluegill on October 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

He has pictures of the powers that be cavorting with animals. They are hidden in a vault in a secret room in Chicago.

Vince on October 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

The truth, has little to do with the ‘narrative’ I thought that had been made clear, long ago.

narciso on October 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM

scalleywag on October 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Thanks for having a clue about what I meant. What the heck is ” metricize”?

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM

KOOLAID2 on October 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM

When I mentioned it to the Husband, he said it is already firmly in the Left’s talking points. On the show, they tried to point out to Shultz that no one even get to the part has the insurance info but it fell on deaf ears.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Let’s say you’re one of those frustrated unfortunates who unsuccessfully tried to buy, or at least review the features of and price, a policy on the federal exchange. You tune into one of your favorite liberal networks thinking you might find a WH official explaining the situation, giving you some helpful guidance. Do you come away more or less happy with the administration?

Barnestormer on October 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

lol, so mean.

abobo on October 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Year ago Tea Party was dead and now it’s the featured topic. Dead or alive tea Party is giving Liberals and RINO’S indigestion..

Herb on October 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Jaibones on October 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Thank You. ; )

Bmore on October 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

scalleywag on October 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM

In what regard are they on the same page/mission? Based on observation, I’d say that it’s quite clear they are not.

‘Conservatives’ and ‘Republicans’ are simply not the same thing – don’t have the same goals at all. ‘Republicans’ seem to simply be happy being the minority party in DC, so long as they get the perks, a bit of power, etc. They simply seem quite content letting the Dems call the shots and do whatever they want to do, 90% of the time.

Midas on October 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM

mitch mcconnell promising there won’t be another gubmint shutdown.

whopeeee!

now i can enjoy the football games.

renalin on October 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Decided to smoke a brisket today because it’s absolutely beautiful out. Sunny, cool and clear. Got the smoker fired up to the correct temperature. Went in, got the brisket, and went piling out the back door with it balanced on a smoking rack. Scared the living daylights out of about a dozen deer that had wandered into the back yard. They went flying in all directions. It was quite a sight.

I love Texas.

trigon on October 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Midas on October 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Although I get really bored with the “Republican Civil War” news themes, I wonder if the media is actually aware that Republicans would love to have immigration reform and national healthcare? The only difference is that in the end their versions would benefit their donors instead of the Left’s donors. The media doesn’t even care that the Left’s donors got the money from the taxpayer, they just know that the are louder and have the victim patter down to a science.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Do we have any candidates for the new Conservative Libertarian Party? (CLiP)

Vince on October 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM

trigon on October 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I was cooking out about six months ago in Florida and had about seven haul freight through my backyard. The unfortunate thing in my area, due to housing growth, is that being hit by cars is their only “natural predator” and the population is getting out of hand.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM

bluegill on October 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Uh oh… I agree with fishy…

ExpressoBold on October 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I love Texas.

trigon on October 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I miss Texas, hope to get back there someday! There’s no brisket smoking where I live :(

scalleywag on October 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Yeah, they don’t hunt them here on the ranch so there are quite a few of them around. They don’t have enough fear of humans, either under some circumstances. I think they would walk right up to you if you didn’t look directly at them. They seem to think they are invisible. Then if you do look at them they get all flustered and nervous. Of course, if there is food that they want involved, they will walk right up to you which is not a good thing. Even the does will kick the hell out of you if they get scared and you are too close.

I do see a lot of them hit out on the roads. I even put some of those deer whistles on the car. They’re probably useless, but they make me feel better.

trigon on October 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Well it’s not a civil war, when they have all the ammo, the money, the newspaper support, et al, it’s more like counterinsurgency;

I’m sure none raised these discrepancies;

narciso on October 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

ExpressoBold on October 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

It’s been happening more and more for all of us.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM

trigon on October 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I don’t even drive 25 mph in our neighborhood anymore because there isn’t a week that goes by that they don’t run in front of my car.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It’s been happening more and more for all of us.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM

You mean the chagrin or the agreement?

ExpressoBold on October 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

cmsinaz on October 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM

True dat.
Picked up the clicker, dropped by each program, and every single one was talking about Cruz representing the ‘crazies/razy wing’ of the GOP.
Every single one, at that moment.

Turned off TV.
Disgusting.

pambi on October 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM

ExpressoBold on October 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I’d go with agreement and then interest in whether it’s real or just a version of stopped clock/blind squirrel syndrome.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Well done, Jailbones! Perfect descriptors. More please… each Sunday morning.

ReagansRight on October 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The crazy part (if you followed my arithmetic) is that every single show in “the lineup” is run (moderated isn’t the right word) by a Democrat. Fox News, as they do in almost every case, puts up someone in good faith — Chris Wallace is, in my opinion, the fairest journalist on Sunday morning, anywhere. But make no mistake — he is no conservative Republican.

Every other show is run by someone who normal, thinking people would regard as an activist, liberal Democrat. (I don’t count C-Section, and apparently no one else does, either.) I often come back to this inescapable fact when idiot liberals attempt to claim that network political bias is not an issue; response — “really, then why does every network run their only political show with a liberal? Every one…

Jaibones on October 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Hmmmmmmm…. it is the first time, so…. it could be a fluke (but not a Sandra).

ExpressoBold on October 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Mcconnell delivered us the sequester in the 2011 deal, which is the only leverage the GOP has left.

McConnell is a brilliant parlimentary tactician.

McConnell held together 40 GOP senators against Obamacare in a fractured caucus, despite every goody and threat dangled in front of every GOP senator to give the legislation the patina of “bipartisan.” Every GOP senator faced immense from K Street, Reid, Obama, and the MSM; McConnell held them together.

I’d like to see any of the complainers here do half as well.

Anyone who wants McConnell defeated is suffering from Obama Derangement Syndrome.

matthew8787 on October 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM

The irony is that, at the beginning of the year, the Left was snickering, that by refusing to set up state-run exchanges, Republican governors were opting for the more liberal version of exchanges run by the feds.

Now, of course, they’re blaming the Republican governors for the feds’ failures.

de rigueur on October 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM

CSPAN2

BOOK DISCUSSION ON DARWIN’S DOUBT
Stereo
CATEGORY Special, Talk
SYNOPSIS Stephen Meyer discusses his book, “Darwin’s Doubt: The Explosive Origin of Animal Life and the Case for Intelligent Design”.
DETAILS Sunday, October 20, 01:15 PM (27 Mins.)
Language: English

Stephen Meyer: http://www.discovery.org/p/11

davidk on October 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Cruz sounding good on CNN. Smart man.

davidk on October 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM

de rigueur on October 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM

It’s good to be Democrats. Axlerod tweeting that it is ironic that Republicans are complaining that people can’t sign up fast enough. Thank goodness that Iowahawk can define irony for him.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Would I love to see that.

I wonder at what point Rubio will realize he has seriously and probably fatally wounded his political aspirations and ambitions for the presidency.

INC on October 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Dana Perino just advocated for obama to push for amnesty.

Dana, Go Directly to Hell, you scumhag.

Schadenfreude on October 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Schadenfreude on October 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Oh, my. Alignment with Bush on amnesty had to have been a requirement to work for him.

INC on October 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Perino even said “If I’d advise him officially, I’d push for it”. She is in the lowest layer of the leftist latrine now.

Schadenfreude on October 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Schadenfreude on October 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

She’s either not given two thoughts to the consequences or else she’s deluded about the consequences or else she’s in agreement with the consequences.

INC on October 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Schadenfreude on October 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Perino thinks very highly of herself. She ‘s a Bush baby and a real dumb one to boot.

gracie on October 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Maureen Dowd

As Valerie Jarrett told David Remnick in “The Bridge,” Obama’s “uncanny” abilities need to be properly engaged, or he disengages. “He’s been bored to death his whole life,” she said. “He’s just too talented to do what ordinary people do.”

MD, this idiot can’t even wipe his own butt.

Schadenfreude on October 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Here’s the link to a horrific MD-obama-azzkissing.

Schadenfreude on October 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Schadenfreude on October 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I simply do not believe that Obama is that smart. He can’t even speak well extemporaneously and for me that is a huge tell.

Greta interviewed with Bibi and Cruz on the same evening the other week. Both spoke rapidly, succinctly, coherently, and clearly on their respective issues and concerns. Their intelligence was quite evident as they expressed their thoughts. There’s no need to wonder what’s on their transcripts.

INC on October 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM

with s/b with

I rewrote the sentence re Greta and forgot to take that out.

INC on October 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Anti-Tea Party :

Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, John McCain, Lindsey Graham, Peter King

Pro-Tea Party :

Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin, Mike Lee, Marco Rubio, Samuel Adams, John Hancock, Patrick Henry, Paul Revere

I know which side I’d rather be on.

December 16 is the 240th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party.

MichaelGabriel on October 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM

John McCain – taking the title of the Senate’s biggest media whore from Chuckie Schumer….and once again demonstrating that Senator Nightingale really needs to follow the Arlen Specter path.

Athos on October 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM

ROCK STAR!! – 8-minute Standing-O For Ted Cruz On Return Home

When even the state run media start using the words “rock star” when describing a conservative, you are seeing something unique.

I think we are watching the beginning of a movement.

conservativeBC on October 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM

The crazy part (if you followed my arithmetic) is that every single show in “the lineup” is run (moderated isn’t the right word) by a Democrat. Jaibones on October 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

They post an R or D after the name of their politician guests, but why don’t they post the affiliation of the interviewer?

Like Piers Morgan D, or Joe Scarborough RINO, or Ed Schultz CPUSA.

Akzed on October 20, 2013 at 6:19 PM