Video: Hoosier daddy can’t navigate Obamacare site — or the call center

posted at 4:01 pm on October 19, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, HHS insisted that consumers who want are forced to buy health insurance through the federal exchange could work around the web site, which hasn’t worked properly since its launch.  Tell that to John Tankersley, an Indiana stay-at-home dad who has tried for more than two weeks to navigate the system to buy badly-needed coverage for his family, as his wife doesn’t get health insurance from her job.  He tried the call center, too — only to find that they can’t figure out how to enroll people, either:

In the meantime, John Tankersley tried to sign up by phone.

“And they were having the same frustrations,” he said. “If they have to go back and edit something they have to start all over again.”

In part, that may be because no one’s quite sure what anything means. Tankersley tried to register his dependent children on the site, but couldn’t figure out in which category they belonged:

He soon learned that every time he answered a question it prompted a 10 to 30 second delay.

Some of his answers didn’t compute. Some of the questions he didn’t understand, including one about his children.

“Is their relationship also any of these relationships?” he said reading from the website. “And it has something called collateral dependent. I have never heard that phrase before.”

All told, Tankersley has spent 25 hours trying to navigate both on-line and call-center systems. His family still doesn’t have health insurance. What took a couple of hours at most before this year has now turned into a journey relatively equivalent to Homer’s Odyssey, thanks to the federal government takeover of what had been a private transaction between consumer and insurers, regulated by the states.

This is indeed Big Government’s signature moment.

Addendum: Yes, I had some fun with the headline. So sue me.

Comments

Minor glitch….?

d1carter on October 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Minor glitch….?

d1carter on October 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I think they want to preserve that phrase for each individual who dies as a result of the coming rationing …

ShainS on October 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM

New meme: this is all the fault of the Republican governors who didn’t set up their own states’ websites and made the poor widdle federal government have to do it for them.

It is always someone else’s fault in Obamaland.

natasha333 on October 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM

“Collateral Dependent?” Check with your baby mommas for an accurate head count.

KCsecurity1976 on October 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

It is always someone else’s fault in Obamaland.

natasha333 on October 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM

yup, and a few from the fever swamp about the Koch brothers hiring people to destroy the system.

rob verdi on October 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

“Collateral dependents”?

Collateral Depends is more like it, Ed.

Schadenfreude on October 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

So who’s yer daddy now, Ed?

John the Libertarian on October 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I’d be very afraid of putting any personal information in their hands right now…although NSA probably already has it.

d1carter on October 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM

From the Washington Examiner –

A video montage of HHS Sec Kathleen Sebelius telling us that everything is just wonderful with Healthcare.gov….and it’s ready for an October 1, 2013 launch.

This is indeed Big Government’s signature moment.

Signature moment? No, it’s just one of a many highlights that demonstrates the bankruptcy of the progressive agenda…fiscally, intellectually, morally, and ethically.

Athos on October 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Heh Ed….nice

cmsinaz on October 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM

In the meantime, John Tankersley tried to sign up by phone.

This John Tankerstein is clueless. This would be a technical issue, whether on his computer or people on the phones using the system. Man this guy’s logical thinking is absent.

Funny how he blames his STATE…. It was the Man Child’s Wet Dream and therefore on him and his minions.

He shouldn’t worry though… according to Heritage.org, OHIO, for a family of 4, will save on average……. $3.26 per month in the new exchanges!!!! WOW that is exciting!!

-west

mr_west on October 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM

anyone else wondering why this “stay at home dad” who makes “$0 a year” yet has a $2000 computer and whose wife’s job doesn’t even offer health insurance doesn’t just GET A JOB? That 30 hours he spent trying to get a hand out could have been a week at a part time job getting paid money so that he can buy his own insurance.

Timin203 on October 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Collateral damage!

patman77 on October 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM

So sue me.

No worries, Ed, it was a good pun. I grew up in Indiana, standard fare.

iurockhead on October 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Collateral dependents is a term to mean a person who is dependent upon you in your household, such as a brother living with you, parent, nephew, etc. You would see the term used in papers dealing with the draft for example, if you wanted a deferment you would have to list anybody depending upon you for support and anybody not your child but still a dependent would be a “collateral dependent”.

Renee on October 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Collateral Dependent: def. (n) a dependent child which you pawn in order to pay your premiums and deductible.

HakerA on October 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Collateral dependent….Is that sort of like collateral damage? Like when a Obama drone strike kills several non-combatants.

So does this mean “collateral dependents” are children produced unintentionally? Like some guy was aiming to get his wife pregnant but he hit (by mistake of course) the neighbors wife and got her pregnant? LOL…maybe I should not go there…

William Eaton on October 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Hahaha, love the headline. The government should be ashamed of themselves, putting people through this. How dare them. They’d be a laughing stock except that it’s more pathetic than it is funny.

scalleywag on October 19, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Renee on October 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Interesting…

William Eaton on October 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM

“Collateral dependents”

The result of a burst condom.

veni vidi vici on October 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Timin203 on October 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I’m sorry, but that’s a ridiculous statement. You don’t know anything about “that guy” so who are you to judge?

scalleywag on October 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

The perfect metaphor for the ObamaCare rollout…

JetBoy on October 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Distractions from the real problems and high costs of ObamaCare.

albill on October 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM

“Collateral Dependent” is the new politically correct term for “bastard of undetermined sire”

Jeddite on October 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM

If the GOP corpse had any political sense… (no jokes please)

they would be reminding anyone that logs into this website AND DOES NOT BUY insurance, that they have just given their information directly to the IRS so they can send them a fine.

This would effectively kill ObamaCare in its tracks.

faraway on October 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM

More like Collateral Government Dependent.

RadClown on October 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I got as far as setting up an account the first week, then hit dead end after dead end. Then after the site’s down weekend, my password was reset, and I have no way to access my account or change the password. When I call 1-800-1FU-CKYO I got put on hold twice for over an hour then was disconnected. I finally got through to the call center this morning, and they told me that they are working on password reset problems.

This would be funny, if it wasn’t so serious. The HHS had 3.5 years to create a workable website, databases that don’t store/send bad and incomplete data, and build a user friendly interface. I’m far more tech savvy than the average Memphis resident looking for ObamaCare, and I can’t navigate the thing. So far as I know nobody in my area has been able to actually been able to get insured with ObamaCare.

Oh well, since ObamaCare is actually warmed over HillaryCare from 1993, why not use 1993 software? I guess if I had a Windows 3.1 operating system and ran Netscape 1.0, it might work.

Naaaaaa….who am I fooling.

simkeith on October 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM

collateral dependent

It means the government is holding your dependent as collateral until you pay the fine.

faraway on October 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Collateral Depends-TM

Schadenfreude on October 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I have purchased a policy starting Jan. 1. however i am in massachusetts and it has it’s own site.

gerrym51 on October 19, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Question; if he’s a stay at home dad that means mom has a pretty good job. Assuming that she has a job that allows dad to stay home, why doesn’t she get company sponsored insurance?

And if he was so desperate for insurance has he not tried any other options? Like maybe http://www.ehealthinsurance.com.

Charlemagne on October 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

By the way, I contacted my congresscritter’s office, Steve Cohen (Douchebag-TN) and was simply read a press release that simply stated that Congressman Cohen is aware of certain difficulties people are having with the site and is confident that the minor gliches will be corrected shortly.

When I told the staffer I could deal with minor gliches, but what about this disaster cluster fark of a system that is a meltdown in progress, they hung up on me.

simkeith on October 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Actually, Obamacare’s nightmare only starts when the web site works. Once a few million people get on and think they have insurance and the insurance companies realize they have 5 million corrupted applications that have to be double and triple checked by hand, that’s when the real nightmare begins: 5 million people thinking they have insurance and the insurance companies having 5 million problems cases and no one is insured.

Fred 2 on October 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM

simkeith on October 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM

You’re not a FedExer are you?

I used to work for FedEx as a software product manager and from what I’ve been able to distill from all the negative stories about the Obamacare sites they had almost no actual business requirements. The disaster unfolding is also very similar to my experience with using Indian programmers offshore in India who had zero knowledge of the business being managed by project managers who had never managed offshore resources. Managing offshore resources with zero knowledge about the business for which they are developing software requires very specific and well documented requirements and specifications. It requires very tight controls, regular code reviews, rigorous testing, and a LOT of up front design before coding even starts.

I’d say the HHS didn’t know what it was doing.

Charlemagne on October 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Why does Tankersley live in such a big house and have a fancy Apple computer and needs govt subsidies?

vityas on October 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Um, the newscaster describes the ACA as a headache for “taxpayers” and the White House.

Any wagers on how many people trying to sign up for this fiasco actually pay any income taxes, let alone anything substantial?

Borgcube on October 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Collateral dependent? Is that what you get if the fetus goes to term?/

ted c on October 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Anyone who complains about ObamaCare, the first question ask is “Who did you vote for?”

If they reply “Obama”, I just tell them to suck it up and bend over.

“Elections have consequences”.

GarandFan on October 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I could’ve told him it wasn’t going to work, but noooooo…

hoosiermama on October 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Even the left is getting annoyed

Obamacare Website Failure Threatens Health Coverage For Millions Of Americans

r keller on October 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

It is always someone else’s fault in Obamaland.

natasha333 on October 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM

But a big, powerful, centralized government is Da Bomb for everything else!!!

Obamacare — proving local government is the best government, one glitch at a time.

CJ on October 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Charlemagne on October 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I worked for FedEx for many years. I’m not with them at this time.

And yes, it surprise anyone that Obama cronies who run HHS have no business experience, limited knowledge about thew insurance industry.

They hold political patronage jobs with vast experience being community organizers, campaign staff, and speech writing.

No surprise that the pixie dust and unicorns couldn’t make this disaster work.

simkeith on October 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM

But a big, powerful, centralized government is Da Bomb for everything else!!!

CJ on October 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

This is why I have changed my mind regarding the defund/delay thing: let this train wreck pile on, full steam ahead, for everyone to see just how competent Big Government is in regards to healthcare. As anyone who has either themselves, or had a relative, go through the meat grinder that is a VA Hospital, will tell you…

Wanderlust on October 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Wanderlust on October 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Video: Hoosier daddy can’t navigate Obamacare site — or the call girl center

KOOLAID2 on October 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Minor glitch….?

d1carter on October 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

We should start referring to it as a miner glitch, since to find a solution, they’re going to be digging for a long, long time.

Kafir on October 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

So, instead of getting the health care through his wife’s work, he’s claiming no income in order to get free health care through every other tax payer.

Cloward-Piven

LoganSix on October 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM

You translate a 4000 page document into a website and this is what’s going to happen.

As a web application programmer I almost feel bad for the people who had to make this monstrosity.

What I can’t stand is the use of the word “glitches.” That gives the impression like the responsibility can be passed on to something out of one’s control. These are incompetencies plain and simple and knowing the life cycle of app development I guarantee you it’s because they were put in a rush to create a huge bureaucratic juggernaut beyond anyone’s comprehension.

A few key clues at the end of the video segment:

“duplicate enrollment forms” – usually caused by not preventing double click behavior on a submit button, or not preventing use of the back button and resubmitting (usually a user error).

“incomplete enrollment forms” – usually that’s caused by a lack of form field validation where you catch when someone has left something black when they shouldn’t have. A good developer will code this in as they create the form but typically it’s done after most of the development is finished. Which in this case it probably never was.

These are just my best educated guesses from experience.

jdespirito on October 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM

We are all the collateral damage of Obummer’s socialist agenda.

Philly on October 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

This kind of reporting is forbidden and is “grounds for termination”.

RADIOONE on October 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM

“Collateral Dependent”?

Is that the result of being too stupid to unroll a condom on your own johnson…or boinking someone too stupid to take one pill a day?

Solaratov on October 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM

“Collateral Dependent”?

Makes me wonder if “Baby Mama” is a category, too.

Marcola on October 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Know who else doesnt know what a collateral dependent is? Lawmakers.

jdespirito on October 19, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I think I’ll post this on all the articles about Obamacare.

Or if anyone else here wants to, please feel free to do it!

PatriotGal2257 on October 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I think what Tankersley was talking about is after you can finally get a password, etc., you login and start answering a couple dozen questions. One or two questions per page. You click “next” to get thru the pages and it takes the 30 seconds to a minute for the website to digest your data before it gives you the next question.

Then it finally gives you a summary page of all the data about yourself you just entered with the opportunity to “edit.” My phone number was in the incorrect category on my summary page, so I edited it and it took me to the phone number question page to fix. I couldn’t get back to the summary page without hitting “NEXT” thru all the subsequent question pages I already filled in, waiting an eternity for each to load all over again. Dumb.

Its glitchy, dorky, slow with lots of badly worded questions like “Do you agree or disagree that there are no incarcerated persons applying for insurance.” WTF.

Anyway, that’s as far as I got. It locked up after that right before it was supposed to show me a PDF of the insurance plans for my state. I can’t get back in.

And to the question as to why he may be getting a subsidy, a family can still get one with income up to like $90,000 going thru the exchange. In company insurance an employee’s “subsidy” is from the employer contribution, and the employer’s subsidy is supposed to be the tax credit they get for paying part of the premium.
Yep.

Allahs vulva on October 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Charlemagne on October 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Maybe she’s an independent contractor. Maybe she lost her insurance because her company stopped offering a plan. The story doesn’t give us enough information to know.

A family of 4 may qualify for a subsidy with AGI up to $90,000. It’s not impossible in the state of Indiana to support a family on that single income.

Instead of judging this family for trying to do what they’re required by law to do (sign up for insurance through the ACA) why don’t we stick to judging the crap fest that is ACA?

AScott on October 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Timin203 on October 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM

scalleywag on October 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Meh, we don’t get enough info on any of these little snapshots anyway. Tankersly had to whine about his state not setting up an exchange. Wah! Why doesn’t someone make this easy for me? I got this big computer and it doesn’t work right! I want to be a feminist and be a stay at home dad but people are making it hard for me! Wah, wah, wah!

Vince on October 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM

AScott on October 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM

$90,000 and you get a subsidy? Where does that subsidy come from? It’s guys like Tankersly that voted for Obama so they can get subsidized, health insurance.

Vince on October 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM

family of 4 responsible for 9.5 percent of 90000 about 8600 they pay government pays rest.

gerrym51 on October 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

gerrym51 on October 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

You mean you and I pay the rest.

smoothsailing on October 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I would imagine the website instructions are written either by foreigners or …yeah, just foreigners.

PattyJ on October 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM

A collateral dependent as defined by the selective service act of 1942: wives or children (with whom the registrant does not maintain a bona fide family relationship in the home); parents, grandchildren, divorced wives, persons under the age of 18 whose support has been assumed in good faith or persons of any age physically or mentally handicapped whose support has been assumed in good faith.

It is also a term used in loans where the repayment of the loan is dependent on the sale of the item that the loan was for.

Maybe in terms of the affordable health care ace it means that the payment of the premiums is dependent on the sale of a kidney.

jpcpt03 on October 20, 2013 at 3:13 AM

I’ll bet anything that this guy is a total liberal who voted for Obama and believed his lies about his health care plan and now he has to just suck it up. I wonder if he learned a lesson from this or not.

Dollayo on October 20, 2013 at 3:26 AM

He has never heard of the term “collateral dependent”?? He should know what it means because I think he is one. —> A dependent of the state leading to collateral damage for the country.

Dollayo on October 20, 2013 at 3:30 AM

A stay at home dad, who dresses up inside his own home and blames his State for not setting up an Exchange when the ACA allowed that discretion—100% Obamabot.

hillsoftx on October 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Today, we are all collateral dependents.

BobMbx on October 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Charlemagne on October 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Used ehealthinsurace a few years ago when my daughter graduated from college, since my company dropped her when she graduated. Anyhow found a good policy with high deductible, but three free doctor visits / yr.

Dasher on October 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Oh, by the way, did Mr. Tankersley vote for Obama in 2012?

Steve Z on October 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM