If you think the ObamaCare exchanges and premiums were bad …

posted at 12:01 pm on October 14, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

then Barack Obama’s hometown newspaper has news for you.  The initial shock of the premium increases and the incompetent use of $94 million [see update] to create the world’s biggest 404 exchange are just the starting shocks of ObamaCare.  Wait until people have to actually start using their new insurance, and perhaps the biggest surprise of all will be waiting:

Adam Weldzius, a nurse practitioner, considers himself better informed than most when it comes to the inner workings of health insurance. But even he wasn’t prepared for the pocketbook hit he’ll face next year under President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul.

If the 33-year-old single father wants the same level of coverage next year as what he has now with the same insurer and the same network of doctors and hospitals, his monthly premium of $233 will more than double. If he wants to keep his monthly payments in check, the Carpentersville resident is looking at an annual deductible for himself and his 7-year-old daughter of $12,700, a more than threefold increase from $3,500 today.

“I believe everybody should be able to have health insurance, but at the same time, I’m being penalized. And for what?” said Weldzius, who is not offered insurance through his employer. “For someone who’s always had insurance, who’s always taken care of myself, now I have to change my plan?”

That’s right — not only have premiums doubled in the individual markets, the coverage has gotten worse in a very concrete way.  The new system has now opened a wide chasm between the employer and individual markets on actual cost coverage, too:

To promote the Oct. 1 debut of the exchanges, the online marketplaces where consumers can shop and buy insurance, Obama administration and Illinois officials touted the lower-than-expected monthly premiums that would make insurance more affordable for millions of Americans. But a Tribune analysis shows that 21 of the 22 lowest-priced plans offered on the Illinois health insurance exchange for Cook County have annual deductibles of more than $4,000 for an individual and $8,000 for family coverage.

Those deductibles, which represent the out-of-pocket money consumers must spend on health care before most insurance benefits kick in, are higher than what many consumers expected or may be able to stomach, benefit experts said.

By comparison, people who buy health insurance through their employer have an average individual deductible of just more than $1,100, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Bear in mind that Democrats claimed that the ObamaCare exchanges would make insurers treat individuals better in relation to group insurance plans.  Instead, they’ve made the markets for individuals even worse than before, thanks to the deluge of costly mandates imposed on insurers, who must pass the cost of risk pools to the consumers.

The higher deductibles are the result of attempting to tamp down the premium hikes, but this raises a big question about the structure of the reform itself.  If consumers end up with $4000 deductibles, how are these costs different than the alternate reform model of hospitalization insurance, health-savings accounts (HSAs), and emphasis on the cash/retail system for routine medical care? What we’ve ended up with is the same deductible costs — no one will use $4000 in routine medical care a year — without the cash-market reforms that would drive costs downward through price-signal clarity and competition, while incentivizing providers to get back into routine medical care by wiping out third-party payer red tape and costs.

Plus, we’ve now made it a crime for consumers to refuse health insurance, although many will make that choice anyway:

Millions of Americans may be wrestling with computer glitches to try to sign up for Obamacare — but many people eligible just won’t bother and will pay a price for it.

Some will flout the mandate to buy coverage on ideological grounds, a health insurance version of civil disobedience.

Some will opt for the penalty because it’s cheaper than paying for insurance, even with subsidies — as long as they don’t get sick and have to pay their own medical bills.

And some are so confused about the president’s health care law that they may not even realize they have to pay a penalty — or a tax, as the Supreme Court called it — until they get slapped with the fine when they file their 2014 tax returns. And sign-up rates may be affected, too, if the technical problems on the exchange websites persist.

If you have to pay the first $4000 out of your own pocket on insurance premiums that have doubled, why bother at all?

Update: The Blaze debunked the $634 million price tag — but at $94 million, it’s still a hugely expensive virtual brick. Thanks to Dustin Siggins for pointing this out.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

For fairness and equality, peasant.

Dog Eater Voter comes face to face with the consequences of voting for Dog Eater.

Bishop on October 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM

and the GOP wants to acquiesce? This is a hill worth dying on…$213 to $475 in my house…

hillsoftx on October 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I checked my premiums this weekend.

$509/mo with a $12,700 deductible.

I pay now $204/mo with a $5000 deductible.

Thanks!

p0s3r on October 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yes, because the healthy have not been paying their “fair share.”

PackerBronco on October 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM

And yet another libtard comes to the realization that there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

BacaDog on October 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Oh, that’s nothing … wait until the doctors are all government/public/union employees and the death panels are in full swing!

ShainS on October 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM

at the same time, I’m being penalized. And for what?

Keep voting Democrat!

VibrioCocci on October 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM

“If you like your plan, you can keep your plan.”

Yeah, you just have to pay thousands of dollars more for it.

Ward Cleaver on October 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM

That is right–that is the consequence of a one-size fits all system that forced insurance companies to comply with specific benefits and mandated they keep 26 yr olds on parents’ policy, accept everyone and prohibit caps–ONLY A MORON KNOWING THOSE FACTS WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT PREMIUMS WOULD GO DOWN…

hillsoftx on October 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Ed, you are not exhibiting the proper attitude. Look on the bright side. Sure, deductibles will be totally out of reach of all but the wealthiest Americans. But these deductibles will never come in to play because there will not be any doctors around to spend that deductible on.

NOMOBO on October 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

LIV’s: Wait..What?

Free Obmacare ain’t free?

WisRich on October 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Nancy Pelosi – “We HAVE to pass it so that you can see what’s in it!”

GarandFan on October 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

A $4,000 is on the low side…

PatriotRider on October 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

It’s the “Shared Responsibility” clause. Remember?

Youngs98 on October 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

la la la , can’t hear you…need to deflect on those dysfunctional gop and their shutdown
-lsm

cmsinaz on October 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Democrats are awesome aren’t they???…

PatriotRider on October 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Mr Weldzius, you probably cheered when Barack Obama said this back in 2008:

GIBSON: …you would favor an increase in the capital gains tax. As a matter of fact, you said on CNBC, and I quote, “I certainly would not go above what existed under Bill Clinton,” which was 28 percent. It’s now 15 percent. That’s almost a doubling, if you went to 28 percent.

But actually, Bill Clinton, in 1997, signed legislation that dropped the capital gains tax to 20 percent.

OBAMA: Right.

GIBSON: And George Bush has taken it down to 15 percent.

OBAMA: Right.

GIBSON: And in each instance, when the rate dropped, revenues from the tax increased; the government took in more money. And in the 1980s, when the tax was increased to 28 percent, the revenues went down.

So why raise it at all, especially given the fact that 100 million people in this country own stock and would be affected?

OBAMA: Well, Charlie, what I’ve said is that I would look at raising the capital gains tax for purposes of fairness.

It’s the same principle in action. ‘For purposes of fairness’ trumps everything, including the situations where revenue is sacrificed and the middle class is wiped out because of Error404Care.

Resist We Much on October 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I wonder if Roberts understands now that it is a tax. People are being forced to pay thousands of dollars more per year or cut back their coverage to the point that they have thousands of dollars in deductibles and copayments. So, pick your poison.

Blake on October 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Hold on here. Let’s be clear. Before Obamacare, was anyone legally forbidden from “having” health insurance?

The good thing about this is that after three or more phucking years, we are finally getting down to brass tacks. And Americans who voted for Obama are finally learning that Obamacare is nothing more than a turd with kernels of corn in it.

BuckeyeSam on October 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Last Saturday, I received the news that my premium went from 535/5k deductible to 975/12k deductible. This past Saturday, I received an amended letter…my premium is now 1,075! They also added mandatory pediatric dental. WHAT? My youngest is 16!

LIVID does begin to describe what I am feeling right now.

herm2416 on October 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM

To be honest though I too had the notion that electing a community organizer whose sole executive experience consisted of campaigning for the position was a pretty smart thing to do.

I also stare at the sun to improve my vision.

Bishop on October 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Took a long time buddy, for all your remaining functional neurons to come together and figure that out, eh…and yet you bet that you want social justice and equality for all…there you have it! Now, do you want some fries with that? bon apetit!!

jimver on October 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM

A 12000 dollar deductible?! And I was complaining my office’s is going from one to four K.

It’s all to get single payor. Period. John Roberts can rot for “RobertsCare”.

Marcus on October 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM

BuckeyeSam on October 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM

THIS

cmsinaz on October 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM

You thought utopia was free?

Murphy9 on October 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Obamacare has literally wiped out the middle class. Every penny and then some of disposable income is gone….it doesn’t matter if you make 65,000 if you have zero disposable income… You are no longer middle class. You are the working poor shifting money around trying to cover your basic monthly necessities.

Caseoftheblues on October 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

LIV’s: Wait..What?

Free Obmacare ain’t free?

WisRich on October 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Oh, yes, it’s free for the moochers and the walmart looters (see the recent titles on drudge), this bankrupt govt got out of its way to make sure that we will pay for them..while our deductibles and premiums will go N and the quality of our care – S, the moochers will have just about the same quality of care that we have at no cost for them, courtesy of suckers like us….social justice forces at work, get used to it…

jimver on October 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM

No sympathy. Choke on your obamacare. People were warned every which way and twice on Sundays. Now they want to cry that it is more expensive than what those lying sacks of sht said it would be? Have fun. Hope you find nothing but happiness and joy now that you are getting exactly what you wanted.

JAGonzo on October 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Indeed. And the left knows this truth, but they can’t afford to admit it. $4,000 deductible on top of insane premiums? I’ll pay the “tax” and take my chances, thank you very much.

NotCoach on October 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I went from paying a zero deductible, zero premiums, cash based relationship with my Dr. To paying $160 a month to a sharing program with a $10,000 deductible. All to avoid the penalties imposed on us by the facsists in DC.

And this was supposed to make our healthcare cheaper? HA!

jawkneemusic on October 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Y’all stop your whining.

Those Walmart looters need healthcare too.

WryTrvllr on October 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

My wife works in the fitness industry, and she just watched a business webinar regarding physical fitness programs for seniors. One of the presenters was Canadian, who used their pathetic health care delivery system as a selling point to seniors, stressing that as a primary reason that people MUST get in shape!

MikeinPRCA on October 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

out of pocket and deductible are 2 different things

gerrym51 on October 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I also stare at the sun to improve my vision.

Bishop on October 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

But he’s black and he’s friends with Jay Z!

-Every Lefty Ever.

jawkneemusic on October 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM

‘Toons of the Day: ‘The First Thing We Do, Let’s Kill All The Politicians’

Ed: It’s a word play on Henry the Sixth.

Resist We Much on October 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Comrades, pay no attention to Capitalist Dog naysayers. Obamacare is Glorious Healthcare System for all good comrades. We will be victorious because wait until tea party stooges are eliminated through NSA/IRS/ACA data hub! Long Live Glorious Healthcare revolution, comrades!

Corporal Tunnel on October 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Why, Redistribution is why, dumbass.

D-fusit on October 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Two things.

1.After two weeks of trying times last night I finally got into the site to start the sign up. Stopped mid way, kept falling asleep. I shop a lot on the internet world wide. This health exchange is with out presidents. A prime example of government incompetence, coverup and out right lie to “We The People”. Better service buying items from Nepal and the deliver to my door in less then 36 hrs.

2.All information we have received on this healthcare is in generalities and averages. This is to hide the facts since you can not argue against the generalized info. The truth is in the actual examples of what it means to real people as you did in this posting.

jpcpt03 on October 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM

No one is asking the question:

How do you call a 100% increase in premiums with very high deductible an insurance policy?

It’s not. You are paying a very high price to self-insure for the first $10,000 of expenses. You get nothing for what you pay.

Being forced to do this is a ponzi scheme.

IT IS A TAX. ONEROUS ONE TOO!

Starlink on October 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Other than the increase in premiums, high deductible is what health insurance is supposed to be. To pay for the extraordinary and RARE events that most people will never encounter, but if they do most people would never be able to afford.
Health insurance should be something people have from birth until death, pay the premium based on age and other risk factors, which would be negligible. Health Insurance should have a high deductible, because it should really only be used for catastrophic rare events. Pay for the rest of your health care from savings or a payment plan. What this would do is drive down the cost of normal healthcare and for the extraordinary needs of the few (1% of all people use 22% of all health care expenditures, and 5% account for 49%) it would be extremely easy to place accountability into the system, having so few events to oversee, rather than the billions of minor events crammed in there.

astonerii on October 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Ed, you also have to factor in that that $4000 for an individual was for thier LEAST expensive. Which is most likely a Bronze plan. Those plans only cover 60% of your costs.

Under the Affordable Care Act, starting in 2014, there will be four tiers of coverage for health insurance plans named for different metals: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. The four levels are differentiated based on their actuarial values, or the average percentage of healthcare expenses that will be paid by the plan. On average, the actuarial values for the four tiers of coverage are:

•Bronze = 60%

•Silver = 70%

•Gold = 80%

•Platinum = 90%

In general, the higher the metallic level (i.e. Gold and Platinum), the more the plan will pay towards your healthcare expenses, but the higher your monthly premiums will be.

So that means that if someone has a surgery, and it is $100,000. First you have to pay the $4000, then your insurance pays 60%, and then you have to pay the rest…which is another $38,400. And for a family, paying $8000, the rest of their ‘share’ is $36,800. I could be wrong on this. Am I?

If not, I don’t think Affordable is what they think it is.

Patriot Vet on October 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Blake on October 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM

And the people who couldn’t pay their hospital bills before will suddenly be able to pay them now? How about those that pay a premium and have a $12,000 deductible – how many families can afford both health insurance premiums of over $5,000 a year PLUS $12,000 deductible? So who is going to pay the short fall? Guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

katablog.com on October 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM

NotCoach on October 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM

You can still insure against catastrophic, but then again, with guaranteed issue, just apply for insurance while you are in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

astonerii on October 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

This is why I say “F” it.. Unleash this Kracken of a beast on the people who wanted it.

melle1228 on October 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

astonerii on October 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

You have to be careful with that healthcare cost statistic. That 5% you talk about are the sick and elderly. More than 50% of the cost of caring for a person occurs in the last week of their lives.

Even the boy king himself will grow old one day.

WryTrvllr on October 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

No surprise here. I’ve been saying for sometime on boards like this that you’ll be reading next year of people saying that they can’t afford to go to the doctor because they found out about the huge deductible and co-pays. That cost, on top of the premiums themselves will only encourage the very, very sick to think ObamaCare is wonderful. And get this, even some Obama lovers will start to complain when this FINALLY starts to sink in. But it will be too late, we’ll have ObamaCare wrapped around our necks for good by the liberals.

BillCarson on October 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Fun for the easily amused

Go to the Obamacare exchange

copy URL

Report attack site here: http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_badware/

agmartin on October 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM

If not, I don’t think Affordable is what they think it is.

Patriot Vet on October 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Is that how it works?
My companies self insurance works like this…
$100 a month for coverage, but can be kicked down to 0 if you do not smoke and you tell them you BMI and a couple other things. Or you are at least trying to stop smoking.
After that they cover a regular exam each year for free.
They have a deductible of 3000 for a family where we pay everything of the 3000, then 80% of everything past that until a maximum out of pocket of 6000. Once that is breached, they pay 100%.
Other than my employer’s coverage now, I never had insurance before this year. So are you sure it is not the same way with this insurance? maximum out of pocket after deductible?

astonerii on October 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Not a bug…

Midas on October 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Even the boy king himself will grow old one day.

WryTrvllr on October 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Actually, they say that the top 5% group is a recurring population. Once you get into, you stay in it year after year typically. The 1% are cancer and gaysAIDS mostly.

But lets look at your old people. Why on earth would they spend so much money in their last few days of life? Seriously, think on that and get back with me on it. I might go out, but will check back when i get home later to see if you figured out why (MEDICARE).

astonerii on October 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

astonerii on October 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

This.

But once politicians get involved, then they can buy votes by mandating insurance companies cover the things that certain voters want to see covered.

For example, you could never pass a bill in which the government taxes you to provide contraceptives for your fellow citizens, but the government can easily pass a law (or the HHS can mandate) that insurance companies provide contraceptives which you pay for through higher premiums.

From the point of view of your wallet, there’s no difference between paying a tax and paying a higher premium but there’s a big difference in terms of what government can get away with.

PackerBronco on October 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

For being stupid, dumbass. You have reaped what you have sown.

Kingfisher on October 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Among the many people in DC yesterday, I saw footage
of these three individuals. They were “interviewed” by Greta.

If nothing else, I know these three will stand up for me.

BTW, Hey, Senator Lee, lose the Suit and tie when out there
on the ground, take a cue from Senator Cruz. He looks like
he dressed for Battle, lol

ToddPA on October 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

And if there was a vote today every Obama voter would vote for him again.
And if there was a poll as to whose fault ObamaCare is, the majority would say Republicans.

albill on October 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

For believing Dear Liar.

I really feel sorry for Mr. Weldzius. Not only will he pay tremendous sums if he or his daughter gets sick, but as a nurse practitioner, very few people will be able to afford his services, and he may soon be unemployed.

A man who was trained to heal others can’t afford to heal himself or his daughter. Thanks to President HopeyChange. Ain’t he awesome?

Steve Z on October 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Sebelius should step down and Obama should be thrown out of office for this fiasco.

Key West Reader on October 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

This is why the GOP should have let ObamaCare go into full force, but demand that everybody has to join with no waivers or subsidies. It would have died a quick death, but no, the GOP is as stupid as most voters are.

HiJack on October 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Key West Reader on October 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

And Pelosi and Reid.

HiJack on October 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Even the boy king himself will grow old one day.

WryTrvllr on October 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I’m praying against it. For the sake of our country.

HiJack on October 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

We can solve all this with a $100,000 deductible, reducing premiums to $200 a month (LOL).

It’s not just the incompetence, the cost escalation fine print clauses, the paper work, the high costs, the high deductibles and the excruciatingly long waits–it’s the disappearing doctors. When you overload a boat, it sinks.

You wonder where the doctors went
When you contract with the government

MaiDee on October 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

no one will use $4000 in routine medical care a year

And that’s exactly why John Roberts was able to call it a tax!

GrayDog on October 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Because people like you believe everybody should be able to have health insurance. Where the heck did you think the money for that was going to come from?

Socratease on October 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM

This is why the GOP should have let ObamaCare go into full force … It would have died a quick death …

HiJack on October 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Ignore one of the Fundamental Rules of Liberalism at your peril:

“Government grows in response to its own failure.”

The response to those who cannot afford high deductibles will not be to end ObamaCare; the response will be to increase the size and range of the subsidies.

People who argue against such a course will be labeled as wanting the poor to die in the streets and they will be marked as tools of the insurance company who don’t want to pay their “fair share.”

The deficit will rise and the debt cycle will increase in speed and power.

Have a nice day.

PackerBronco on October 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Obowma’s Amerika…

… It’s Paradise, No?

Seven Percent Solution on October 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Thought experiment:

If tomorrow we could double the number of doctors, nurses, hospitals and clinics, what would happen to the cost and availability of health care?

Answer:
The cost would go down and the access would go up in response to the laws of supply and demand.

So…. why are we embarking on a course that will have the net effect of reducing the numbers of doctors, nurses, hospitals and clinics?

PackerBronco on October 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Wrong. You get sick, THEN you buy the insurance. No “pre-existing condition” refusal allowed, remember?

Socratease on October 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM

“Government grows in response to its own failure.”

The failure of ObamaCare will be met by calls to expand its scope and power. It’s failures will be blamed on lack of funding, oversight, and reach. PackerBronco

Exactly!

MaiDee on October 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I also stare at the sun to improve my vision.

Bishop on October 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

In all fairness, you need to include Obama’s experience as chairman of the Annenberg Challenge in Chicago about 14 or so years ago. He, Bill Ayers, and some corporate glad-handers wasted $100 million in grants and donations that were earmarked to improve Chicago public schools. A follow-up study determined that their efforts resulted in no discernible improvement. Obama and Ayers blew the money on a lot of community-organizing bullshite.

BuckeyeSam on October 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM

The kicker, of course, is that our medical care system ITSELF is certainly not going to be IMPROVING under this new system.

Cleombrotus on October 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

You’re being penalized for morons who vote for liberals.

cajunpatriot on October 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

astonerii on October 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

right back at ya.

WryTrvllr on October 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

MikeinPRCA on October 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

As bad as the canadian system is, it is waaaaay better than obamacare. So is the bankrupt british system.

neuquenguy on October 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

and another. (damn women!)

WryTrvllr on October 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Is that how it works?
My companies self insurance works like this…
After that they cover a regular exam each year for free.

astonerii on October 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Well, first off, since your company self insures, they can do whatever they like. And if it was in affect on March 23, 2010, then it is grandfathered and you don’t have to have any of the ‘essential’ elements that they ‘require’. Not sure if you fit this bill, but it sounds like you might.

Now, the way I read the Forbes article on the percentages is, the government pays that percentage after your deductible. This is what it says:

the average percentage of healthcare expenses that will be paid by the plan

It also does say ‘average’. I wonder if some could be less than 60%?

Upon further searching, it appears that the maximum out of pocket for an ‘enrollee’ in the exchange is $6350. That is a little bit more than yours, but close. So I think you are right that they would pick up the cost after that.

A family has an out of pocket expense of $12,700. So it looks like Obamacare is double of what a family would pay through your company. And it also looks like the limit on out of pocket expenses was delayed until 2015. Who knows what expenses ‘some’ of the insurers will have people pay.

I think we will have to wait and see the first people actually going to the DR and seeing how this pans out to really find out. I think there will be more pains after care, too.

Patriot Vet on October 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

astonerii on October 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

There are couple big reasons.

1. 3rd party payer shields them from the costs
2. They are often not the one’s making the decisions.

WryTrvllr on October 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Actually depending on your insurer you get screwed today anyway. I have UHC (through employer). Deal is: $1000 deductible per family member, up to a maximum of $2000 for whole family. Out of pocket (which includes deductible is): $4000 per person, up to $8000 for whole family. But what they (UHC) does is this: they simply claim that the provider (a) did not provide paperwork (b) provided incomplete paperwork or (c) provided improper paperwork. They have no electronic submission system, everything goes by mail. They never tell the provider what is “proper” or “required” paperwork. Therefore they (UHC) basically pay nothing if they don’t want to.

IMO, UHC is simply an organized crime syndicate.

SunSword on October 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Obamacare is functioning exactly as planed. It was designed to be an epic fail right from the beginning. At this point we are supposed to be marching in the streets with pitchforks aimed at the insurance company execs, demanding their heads. This is a crisis, the only choice we have is single payer. Enact it now, no time to debate it! Hurry, Hurry, Hurry!

tdarrington on October 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Walmart has 4-function key-ring calculators at the checkout counter for $3. You may want to practice with the less advanced + and – keys first.

Tsar of Earth on October 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Wow, who could have seen this coming?

Chris of Rights on October 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I happened to look at what Connecticut has online (not from Conn, just pulled up a site for some rough info).

On their Bronze plan, an individual has a $3250 yearly deductible with a family at $6500. According to Kaiser Foundation’s calculator, a family of 3 making $30,000 a yr would have to pay $781 a MONTH, or $9378 a year. Yes, they get a subsidy up to $8128…but they’ll have to wait until tax time to get the subsidy…meanwhile for 2014, they’ll be shelling out $781 a month….every month. Wait, it gets better.

take the single deductible of $3250 divided by 12 months and add that figure to the $781 and you’ll average $1051.00…per month (this doesn’t take into account the $6500 family deductible). What does $1K a month get a person? Not much it seems.

For Physician Office visits:
Preventative care/screenings/Immunizations 0% coverage (ZERO percent)
Primary care….$30 co-pay (after deductible is met)
Specialist….40% after deductible is met (ADIM)

Emergency room visit?….40 % ADIM

Wanna take an ambulance to the ER?….0% payment

Now my personal favorite, Prescriptions:
$10 Co-pay, for generic….say it with me please (After the Deductible Is Met)
all other prescriptions….40% ADIM

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Pay $1K a month for basically nothing and still pay out of pocket until deductible is met….on the cheapest plan offered. $30K salary a year for some poor schmoe works out to about $2K a month take-home pay. Now take half of that for medical insurance that you’ll still have to pay for the vast majority of basic care yourself. HALF! Half of this guys take-home salary every month for something he may not use.

Or…..1% of yearly salary for fine($300) a year and still not pay much more for basic services that you would have to pay for yourself anyway. $12000 vs $300 a year…..which do you think will get chosen?

Renee on October 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

But on the bright side, check out who is in charge of signing you up.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM

SunSword on October 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Couldn’t agree more. UHC is absolute scum. They denied claims for my wife based on a rider, for problems that had nothing to do with the rider, then doubled her premium based on excessive claims that they never paid out anyway.

tdarrington on October 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM

“The trouble with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money” — Margaret Thatcher
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/thatcher.asp#uWLU6hTAmruCJI3p.99

KMC1 on October 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Utopia ain’t cheap.

Wino on October 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM

actually, some of my figures get blurred between single and family coverage/deductible…but the argument is still valid, just tweak the figures slightly (family of 3 monthly payments would average $1322 until deductible is met for example).

It’s still unaffordable…….any friggin way you look at it

Renee on October 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM

read the paragraph starting “Older People are…”

WryTrvllr on October 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM

ACNP’s often function as a ‘hospitalist’ in setting like ICU, transplant, trauma and other critical care areas. As an ACNP Adam Weldzius may be one of the people in charge of advising you to pull the plug.

Wonder when he will make the connection between his premiums and his patients.

chilling isn’t it?

batterup on October 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Renee on October 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

How is it that a person making 150 percent over poverty can afford $25,000 out of pocket for a family in and out-of-Network provider? Every one of the plans for low-wage persons/families has way to large of a maximum out of pocket costs. For some, it is their entire years salary and then some. And for the others, it is well over half. Afordable my ass!

Individual
150 – $17,235
200 – $22,980
250 – $28,725

Family (of 3, 4)
150 – $29,295; $35,325
200 – $39,060; $47,100
250 – $48,825; $58,875

Well at least we all know it is JugEars who hates the poor.

Patriot Vet on October 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Anybody “makin’ book” on which day Obama will exempt the Union Members and their Cadillac Plans??

RADIOONE on October 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

In the famous words of the most interesting man in the world, “stay healthy my friends”.

DDay on October 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

CBS news calls Obamacare a “disaster”.

Now imagine government doctors in the operating room.

No Chop Charlie on October 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

An interesting activity is to graph the various plans depending on annual health care spending. If you are a lower-to-mid range user, then bronze plans tend to be better–you simply aren’t paying much more than the premium.

If you’re a fairly heavy health-care user (around $5,500/year or more in actual pre-insurance billing,) it flips back to silver being better–because the 30% copay plus silver premium is better than the 40% copay + bronze premium.

It starts flipping back again as the deductible is reached sooner in the bronze plan–making an individual’s cost for the next dollar of health care essentially zero. The silver plans hit this next-dollar = zero mark later.

In the end, once the maximum is hit by both plans ($6350 deductible + premium), you are better off minimizing your premium.

None of that takes into account your hospital and doctor networks, though, which are obviously an important consideration.

HakerA on October 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Socratease on October 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM

That won’t be the way it’s going to “work”. Mark my words: there will be an “open enrollment period” that coincides with the Medicare open enrollment period the last 2 months of each year. That’s it. No open enrollment, willy nilly, all year long. Everyone who plans on signing up for this latest surveillance plan had better hope they don’t get sick the first nine months of the year.

totherightofthem on October 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Obama and Ayers blew the money on a lot of community-organizing bullshite.

BuckeyeSam on October 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Or, well-pressed Armani suits and a new earring collection for Mr. Ayers.

totherightofthem on October 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM

People just don’t want to see it but the average person will now be paying 100% for their healthcare. On top of that they will be paying a “tax” as Roberts puts it, which amounts to a very good chunk of the income for a service they may never use. Sure some of us still have insurance through our employer but I’m going to bet that will not last past 2016 as more and more employers decide that it is more cost effective to just make everyone responsible for their own health insurance. The ACA is the second biggest scam of the last couple of decades with AGW being the first.

Dr. Frank Enstine on October 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Allahpundit, the folly that has been this rollout can be traced to the law’s legislative origins. (I am not commenting on the wisdom of a government program such as this. Heaven knows I abhor the law) when Democrats decided to pass a bill without ANY Republican input or fingerprints, they doomed themselves to this fate.

There should have been congrescsional oversight hearings to ensure that the implementation of te law went smoothly. However, without any Republican investment in the law, they couldn’t care less about how the nuts and bolts were coming together. In fact, it was to their political benefit to stay a shads off as possible. And for Democrats, they were so invested in the law that they had only a disincentive to publicly air the struggles of pulling the project together.

h a p f a t on October 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM