Finally: Bob Costas weighs in on Redskins name controversy

posted at 8:01 am on October 14, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Thanks to a long and wonderful day with my granddaughters, I didn’t get a chance to watch the RedskinsBarrycaders-Cowboys game until well after halftime, and it turned out to be much as I predicted (which is rare enough this season, I grant you). I didn’t get to see the Steelers win their first game over the Jets, either. All of that was balanced by not having to sit through this rehash of a lecture from Bob Costas, who took two and a half minutes of halftime to tell the NBC audience absolutely nothing it already hadn’t heard repeatedly in the naming controversy in Washington (via Twitchy):

Here is the transcript from the Washington Post.  See if you can find an original thought in it:

With Washington playing Dallas here tonight, it seems like an appropriate time to acknowledge the ongoing controversy about the name, “Redskins.” Let’s start here: there’s no reason to believe that owner Daniel Snyder, or any official or player from his team, harbors animus towards Native Americans, or chooses to disrespect them. This is undoubtedly also true of the vast majority of those who don’t think twice about the longstanding moniker. And in fact, as best could be determined, even a majority of Native Americans say they are not offended.

But, having stipulated that, there’s still a distinction to be made. Objections to names like Braves, Chiefs, Warriors and the like, strike many of us as political correctness run amuck. These nicknames honor, rather than demean. They’re pretty much the same as Vikings, Patriots, or even Cowboys. And names like Blackhawks, Seminoles and Chippewas, while potentially problematic, can still be okay provided the symbols are appropriately respectful. Which is where the Cleveland Indians, with the combination of their name and Chief Wahoo logo, have sometimes run into trouble.

A number of teams, mostly in the college ranks, have changed their names in response to objections. The Stanford Cardinal and the Dartmouth Big Green were each once the Indians. The St. Johns Redmen are now the Red Storm. And the Miami of Ohio Redskins, that’s right Redskins, are now the RedHawks. Still, the NFL franchise that represents the nation’s capital, has maintained its name.

But think for a moment about the term “Redskins,” and how it truly differs from all the others. Ask yourself what the equivalent would be if directed towards African Americans, Hispanics, Asians or any other ethnic group. When considered that way, “Redskins” can’t possibly honor a heritage or noble character trait, nor can it possibly be considered a neutral term. It’s an insult, a slur, no matter how benign the present day intent.

It’s fair to say that for a long time now, and certainly in 2013, no offense has been intended. But if you take a step back, isn’t it clear to see how offense might legitimately be taken?

The Post’s Sarah Kogod offers this little dig at the end:

If you made it through all of those words, reward yourself with a cookie.

Costas went on to offer the URL for NBCSports’ dedicated “Redskins nickname” page, because of course they have that.

Frankly, I don’t have an opinion on this topic, except to say that the opposing arguments have clearly been delineated, and have been for years. I am not a Native American, and don’t particularly feel the need to take offense on their part; I figure that Native Americans can express themselves perfectly well on that issue themselves, if they do take offense.  I’m also not a Washington Redskins Barrycaders fan. Not only did Costas not say anything new, he didn’t even have the nerve to actually take a stand. He just meanders around for two and half minutes like a tourist through a debate museum, and then finishes by saying in essence, “Hey, maybe they had a point!”

I’ll tell you what does offend me — that this was necessary:

A rally with appearances from conservative stars Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz escalated into a tense situation Sunday, as veterans protesting the government shutdown clashed with police, taking down barricades blocking the closed World War II Memorial and dumping them outside the White House.

The group, upset with the closure of memorials in Washington due to the shutdown stalemate, was organized by the Million Vet March, but it soon took on a more political tone. …

Members of the Million Vet March planned on gathering at the World War II Memorial on Sunday despite the memorial being closed due to the government shutdown.

According to a statement on the group’s website, they feel military personnel and veterans are “being used a political pawns in the ongoing government shutdown and budget crisis.” Organizers say they are not a political leaning group, but call the shutting down of memorials “a despicable act of cowardice.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

….it’s so important!
…..shiny!

KOOLAID2 on October 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM

There’s a hopeful sign – Team SCOAMT didn’t go down the same road as their other Third World allies and use live ammo.

Steve Eggleston on October 14, 2013 at 8:04 AM

….media misfit’s!

KOOLAID2 on October 14, 2013 at 8:04 AM

You know what else is a slur?

Sunday Night Football. I’ll be banning it from my television from now on.

Defenestratus on October 14, 2013 at 8:05 AM

He is so brave./

rob verdi on October 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Granddaughters trump all

Good for you Ed

cmsinaz on October 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Rally =thingy
-mika

cmsinaz on October 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Ed, I was born and raised in Chicago, but I now live in Atlanta. A few years ago they changed the name of the trophy given to the winner of the Illinois-Northwestern football game from “The Sweet Sioux Tomahawk” to “The Land of Lincoln Trophy.” They said this was done to avoid offending indigenous Americans.

But now that I live in the South, I can show you some people who are offended by “Land of Lincoln Trophy.” It all depends on your perspective, doesn’t it?

radjah shelduck on October 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM

but Rush having an ownership stake is too political…

DanMan on October 14, 2013 at 8:09 AM

bobby’s gay lover made him say it.

crash72 on October 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM

The terms AMERICA and INDIANS are both European impositions on the once free peoples of the Hemisphere.

When will Costas and others do REAL JUSTICE to the native peoples and call for a repudiation of those two terms as symbols of hate and tyranny???

PappyD61 on October 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Rally video gives a blank space and error: “Warning: No video ID provided, the video player will not initialize.” – at least in Firefox.

eforhan on October 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM

NBC = National Barack Channel
And Costas is a jock sniffing douche bag

Rio Linda Refugee on October 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Reliably useful, not dependably original.

ExpressoBold on October 14, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Then why do I have to self identify as White when I buy a gun.

It’s not my fault I am melanotically challenged.

WryTrvllr on October 14, 2013 at 8:14 AM

eforhan on October 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Same in Internut Explod…er…Internet Explorer.

Steve Eggleston on October 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM

So in a libtard brain they actually think teams select mascots to demonize them rather than to memorialize? It truly is a mental impairment.

hillsoftx on October 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Names which honor various tribes are “potentially problematic?” Bugger off, Costas, your schtick is old.

As someone who’s 1/4 Scottish, named after a great-uncle who went back and fought for that flag in WWI, I am not bothered by a mispronounced name and cartoonish figure in the Boston Celtics.

rbj on October 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM

like the vet sign i saw yesterday at the march said: drop the “washington” part. that’s the disgrace.

gracie on October 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM

That jerk can’t keep his politics out of a football broadcast. I like football, but you know what, I don’t need to watch it that bad.

Dongemaharu on October 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Updated, again:

Obama’s Amerika (Photo Essay)

Resist We Much on October 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Bob Costas has a funny look in his eye lately. Maybe he’s watching too much MSNBC.

TarheelBen on October 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM

They better not change the name because a few busybody power hungry ninny losers like to feel morally superior in their never-ending quest to find new ridiculous ways to make white people feel guilty.

bluegill on October 14, 2013 at 8:20 AM

So Costas and NBC accosted its NFL audience Sunday night.

Goodby Sunday Night Football. NBC gives crap sports coverage anyway.

TerryW on October 14, 2013 at 8:21 AM

When I saw that and got the gist of his comments, I turned it off, Costas can kiss my ass.

RoyalFlush on October 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM

But never a word about the Chicago BlackHawks.

mixplix on October 14, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I had never heard of the Redskins, let alone seen them play, but now I am totally against this name change.

They need to hold the line out of principle. This kind of garbage will never end.

Quit eliminating harmless and in many cases valuable tradition because of some potential for someone to be offended.

The problem lies with the idiots getting offended over this, not the name. If they complain, tell them to grow up.

bluegill on October 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM

What do expect from an announcer at a spectacle aimed squarely at the Obamacare target demographic?

M240H on October 14, 2013 at 8:26 AM

So we’re supposed to listen to a guy who has been happily using a racial slur for decades? If this is so obvious. why didn’t the wise and tolerant Mr. Costas illuminate us in say, 1980? This guy has been hurling racial slurs across the airwaves for all of our children to hear for 30 years and now he wants to scold US? Did Bob apologize for using such offensive language for so long?

I honestly don’t care one way or the other, but it’s the holier than thou, busybody bs that I can’t stand. You think Costas gives a crap if anyone is offended? His only motive is that he himself be perceived as enlightened.

trubble on October 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM

He is so brave./

rob verdi on October 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM

You can’t say the word brave, that’s racist.

OliverB on October 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Lifelong Skins fan here. The NFL is rapidly losing my interest. Everything is a penalty and it’s making games hard to watch. Plus now I can’t watch my home team without being told how racist I am since I don’t have a problem with the name. Politics doesn’t have to consume every aspect of our lives, but unfortunately its quickly getting to that point. It will not be long until I simply find another escape besides NFL football. Maybe NASCAR will take over sundays? Or maybe I’ll just start reading more.

hump1201 on October 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I’m watching it less and less – I am trying to esape politics. Why doesn’t the NFL call NBC in and say ifyou guys don’t cut the politics we are re-opening the contract and will bid it out and you aren’t welcome at the table.

They finally punted Olberman and I have to listen to this crap – I saw they were going to discuss at halftime – I turned it off and had the pleasure to watch a fall baseball classic.

As to the Blackhawks – they actually are named after a military group – not sure if a division or what, that used this as a logo.

Zomcon JEM on October 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Frankly, I don’t have an opinion on this topic, except to say that the opposing arguments have clearly been delineated, and have been for years. I am not a Native American, and don’t particularly feel the need to take offense on their part; I figure that Native Americans can express themselves perfectly well on that issue themselves, if they do take offense. I’m also not a Washington Redskins Barrycaders fan. Not only did Costas not say anything new, he didn’t even have the nerve to actually take a stand. He just meanders around for two and half minutes like a tourist through a debate museum, and then finishes by saying in essence, “Hey, maybe they had a point!”

Ed Morrissey?? Are you kidding me? You don’t have an opinion on this topic? I don’t think I’ve ever watched a professional football game all the way through in my life and even I have an opinion on this.

This is the result of too darn many people looking for ways to get offended. I’m telling you right now that the fact that this concerns a non-white group is making it a bigger and more important deal for some people. Costas is just trying to show how sensitive he is.

People need to grow the heck up over harmless names like this. Quit making this into a national dialogue. And also remember the double standard regarding how certain groups are treated.

Speaking of being offended, I’m offended that Ed isn’t bothered by this.

bluegill on October 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I tried telling the United N***o College Fund that their name is racist but nobody cares. A few days ago someone finally got around to asking some actual Indians what they thought about the Redskins name and few if any cared one way or the other either.

Apparently it’s just Bob and weirdos like him that are offended.

(I originally posted this on the other thread but it was rejected in moderation. Can anyone guess why? How ridiculous! Apparently legitimate names are deemed racist here as well.)

HotAirian on October 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM

No one better mess with Chief Wahoo. That’s all I got to say.

OliverB on October 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Hey Bob! Just shut up & call the game. You increased inputs in social issues are becoming boring.

RdLake on October 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM

What a joke.

If the nickname “Redskins” is so offensive why did it take these genius liberals until 2013 to figure it out?

Its textbook critical theory and just another chance to create a victim class.

Bob Costas is a schmuck and ruins any football coverage he is a part of….

alecj on October 14, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Why? Costas himself admits:

In which case, examine the word “Redskins.” Is there anything inherently derogatory about the word? Let’s see… it indicates skin, that is red in color. Are there any value judgments present there? Any assertions of superiority or inferiority? No. So Costas should get off his high horse and shut up.

Stoic Patriot on October 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM

The only word in Washington Redskins that is offensive to me is “Washington”.

derft on October 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM

One question for you Bob.

You’ve been in Televison Sports broadcasting how long?

And you’ve just now reached the “conclusion” that their name is
offensive??

Congratulations Bob, you’ve now replaced Brent Musberger
as the biggest Douche on Sports TV.

ToddPA on October 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Snyder should announce that after reflecting upon the criticisms, he has consulted with racial sensitivity expert Rachel Jeantel and is renaming the team to the N*ggas. I’m sure Costas will appreciate the big distinction between the racial epithet (r) and the black-approved colloquialism (a).

crrr6 on October 14, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Be honest, liberals, if Native Americans weren’t memorialized in the names of these sports teams, you wouldn’t think of them at all.

I still haven’t gotten over how my gutless alma mater (Miami University, Oxford, Ohio) changed from Redskins to Redhawks in the 1990s.

BuckeyeSam on October 14, 2013 at 8:56 AM

When Costas talks, I leave the room. That ramble last night was some of the most banal drivel ever foisted on a halftime audience.

Mini-14 on October 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM

“Now that the political winds are shifting on this team name thing just a bit, I’ve decided to look at the windsock and chime in. Sure I didn’t jack-shiite for the two decades I’ve been a broadcaster, but a guy’s gotta eat and I didn’t want to piss off the boss.”

-Profile in Courage Bob

Bishop on October 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

WTF is up with his eyebrows? It’s like they’re being sucked into his eye sockets or something. I didn’t hear a word he said. I was too busy looking at those creepy things.

joekenha on October 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Costas is also against black NFL players being allowed to own guns.

La Raza!

mjbrooks3 on October 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Here is the transcript from the Washington Post. See if you can find an original thought in it:

I don’t know, thinking that using halftime of an NFL game is an appropriate venue for lecturing the world on one’s on views about a social issue seems to be as original as it is arrogant. It also should be a fireable offense.

Happy Nomad on October 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM

This coming from the same program that employed K Olbermann.

mjbrooks3 on October 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM

BREAKING: Washington Redskins have announced they WILL change their name: They will drop the degrading and humiliating part of their name and will become the Maryland Redskins.

michaelo on October 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

How long does Costas get to continue running his mouth about his dumb social and political views before NBC Sports kicks him out of the broadcasting chair? Like, they explicitly banned Olbermann from doing this sort of thing because they knew it would poison the relationship with the sports-viewing audience. Does Costas just have so much seniority there that he can’t be touched? Because, otherwise, it makes no sense that they let the guy turn Sunday night football games into his personal soapbox.

Robert_Paulson on October 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Happy Nomad on October 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Robert_Paulson on October 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I’ll tell you what does offend me — that this was necessary:

But it was necessary because the military and vets are being used as political pawns. What wasn’t necessary was the DC Police to show up in full riot gear. They didn’t even do that for clearing out the OWS crowd but, yet, they think that crowd yesterday was going to run amok?

Happy Nomad on October 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Exactly. And I find it ironic that on reservations they use the Redskins name for their teams and sometimes the logo, which by the way was approved by various tribes before The Redskins adopted it.

fight like a girl on October 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Finally: Bob Costas weighs in on Redskins name controversy

Bout time, Costas has been getting paid to say “Redskins” as a sportscaster for about 40 years now.

forest on October 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Robert_Paulson on October 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Clearly, NBC has more tolerance for this kind of stuff than ESPN. Rush Limbaugh said something that was only mildly political and he was fired the next day. This is the second time in less than a year where this stupid ignorant troll has injected an editorial into halftime analysis. Yet he’s still employed. Why indeed?

Happy Nomad on October 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Costas is just another left wing NBC slug.

rplat on October 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM

fight like a girl on October 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Where you see irony, I see hypocrisy. Not so much from those that live on reservations but from these liberals that get the vapors over the name of a professional football team but not so much of the use of the word redskins in other contexts.

Happy Nomad on October 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Washington Veterans

Bmore on October 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM

The name didn’t seem to be offensive for the first 80 years of its existence until the left wing liberals decided they would impose their will upon the people and decide it was offensive. They’re trying their best to get native Americans to become offended.

No matter what name they come up with, someone will always be offended. Just check the one poor soul in Ruraltown America who is offended when a prayer is recited and it’s stopped even though the other 2999 citizens don’t mind. This year Washington could be renamed the DeadSkins and some ACLU lawyer would find a zombie who’s offended.

Until people tell these perpetually offended people to just shut up, the ACLU included, it will only get worse. If Americans want their country back, they’re going to have to take it.

iamsaved on October 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

My advice to people who are “offended”, stop allowing words to offend you.

Ellis on October 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM

So, calling me ‘white’ isn’t racist? If someone identifies me by my skin color, that’s racist, right?
Every government form has “White” or “African-American on it somewhere.
Why can’t I be a “European-American”?
Why do I have to decide what sex I am; it’s nobody’s business if I stand or sit down to pee.

If we’re going all PC on every dang thing, then let’s really go all the way.

srdem65 on October 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM

bobby’s gay lover made him say it.

crash72 on October 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM

What does the emotional state of bobby’s lover have to do with anything? Oh, you mean that sticking-thingys-in-the-butt misuse of the word don’t you?

Nutstuyu on October 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Then why do I have to self identify as White when I buy a gun.

It’s not my fault I am melanotically challenged.

WryTrvllr on October 14, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Wikipedia (aka libfreeordie’s Bible): “Slang identifiers for ethnic groups based upon physical characteristics, including skin color, are almost universally slurs, or derogatory, emphasizing the difference between the speaker and the target.[8]” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang)

Nutstuyu on October 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM

What’s wrong with the blackskins? That would cover about 90% of the players and should not offend them. I think we have changed the bill of rights to just one right. You have the right to not be offended.

rich8450 on October 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM

In America, you have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney. We also have the right to offend and be offended.

Message to liberals/indians…get over yourselves. Message to NBC…your use of the media to spew your liberal rhetoric will eventually cause your demise. Have you noticed that your ratings are at the bottom?

Maybe white people should call for equal gambling rights and a reservation to live in so liberals could be kept out. There’s all kind of possibilities.

cajunpatriot on October 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Same idiot who argued for gun control by saying if Jovan Belcher didn’t have a gun, Kasandra Perkins would still be alive, not seeming to realize or care that there is no way to remove the weapons from the Jovan Belchers of the world without also removing them from the Kasandra Perkinses of the world.

Same idiot who parades around with armed security for himself, but wishes to deprive the same protection from women who have muscle-bound, psychotic boyfriends.

Why does his opinion matter again? And where is it written that people have a right to not be offended at anything?

Maddie on October 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Maddie on October 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Amen. Why does he keep being given a soapbox during a sports broadcast?

Nutstuyu on October 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I think PETA should get involved and do something about all these team names that degrade animals, like Lions, Tigers, Bears, Dolphins, Panthers, Jaguars, Seahawks, Eagles, etc.

TarheelBen on October 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM

“Red or Yellow, Black, or White, they are precious in His sight,
Jesus loves the children of the world.”

- racist !

williampeck1958 on October 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Yet again, Dave from “News Radio” speaks for me on this topic:

Go to hell Costas.

oryguncon on October 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Here’s an idea. Unless you’re actually a Native American, maybe you should just shut your effin piehole. White sportcasters and white journalists don’t get say. mmkay?

somewhatconcerned on October 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Someone tell the little midget with a wig that “Black Caucus” offends me. Can you imagine the storm if someone tried to name a “White Caucus” What does Obama think about that?

HAGGS99 on October 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Not to worry, Frum and his cohorts Tommy Christopher managed to make it about one guy and his Confederate flag. Salon even managed a little bit of a grammatical two step in hopes of maligning everyone.

Protestors wave a Confederate flag in front of the White House

Flag must have been really really heavy.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Has anyone got an email address to NBC? When I tried it brought up a gmail address for me. I don’t have a gmail address.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM

The name WASHINGTON is offensive………he owned slaves. This is an ongoing reminder of “our sordid and horrible past”.

Like Nazi……it should be used with shame.

PappyD61 on October 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Damn you, Mike Ditka.
As soon as I saw that wuss start to speak last night and heard the word offensive, I knew he wasn’t going to speak about what was happening on the field and changed the channel. If the natives are going to be offended by the name of a sports team, tough tookus. Look at what we get called every day by some of our elected leaders.

Kissmygrits on October 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM

If this gutless coward was so against the name why didn’t he say something long before? This strikes me as nothing more than another Barky butt sniffer grabbing onto a talking point of the day, like his pathetic rant about guns, to try and keep their name out there. As far as I’m concerned that scumbag Costas can FOAD.

They should put that d-bag on the channel he belongs on, MSDNC. Maybe give him the job of being Matthews or Scultz’s cabana boy and make him spread suntan oil over their bodied or something along those lines. It’s really about all he is fit for anymore.

bbinfl on October 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

It’s only a matter of time before the dismantling of Monument Ave. in Richmond, leaving only the statue of Arthur Ashe.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM

This is offensive.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Doesn’t matter what the uppity media says, the team owner says otherwise and it’s his call. The NFL says so.

Just for fun, someone should ask Bob Costas what he will be changing next. There is always a next with these people.

Moesart on October 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Geez. Why Arthur Ashe. How about Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, Pocahontus or L Douglas Wilder.

derft on October 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Am I the only one who remembers this bit of history… I keep noting this in different places… the Delaware Indians of the mid-atlantic region would paint themselves red, thus they became known as the Red Skins. The name is approproate for the DC area, just as Seminoles is appropriate for FL State. Am I crazy? I’m pretty sure that’s right. That’s why you have majority Native American high schools with the name. [For the record, my kids are 1/8 Cherokee]

mankai on October 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Has anyone identified the lone idiot waving the Confederate flag in front of the White House yesterday?

I suspect an OFA plant.

myiq2xu on October 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Thanks for being odffended on someone else’s behalf, Bob! These lesser peoples just don’t know when to be offended. Fortunately, they have a rich guy who is smart enough to think for them.

mankai on October 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

There are two high schools in my town in deep-blue Connecticut, whose teams are named the Chiefs and the Warriors, and nobody seems all that upset about it.

There aren’t very many Native Americans living here, but about 30 miles down the road the Mashantucket Pequots are making millions on their Foxwoods Casino, while it’s still illegal for Americans of European descent to run gambling houses. Except for the State government with their Lotto.

Steve Z on October 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I watched Costas get on his soapbox last night, and it was clear to me that he did take a stand against the name. Why we should care what he or any other member of the PC crowd thinks is beyond me, but it was pretty obvious he too thinks they should change the name.

Another stupid, ginned up controversy.

changer1701 on October 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Protestors wave a Confederate an Army of Tennessee battle flag in front of the White House

Flag must have been really really heavy.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Bob Corker’s (new-D) office unavailable for comment.

Nutstuyu on October 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Try as I may, I can’t get myself to care what Costas has to say. He’s not being paid to editorialize, he’s supposed to just be a sports announcer, right? Just another righteous lefty celebrity who thinks everyone wants to know what they think about everything. Not.

scalleywag on October 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

derft on October 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Because he was born and raised in Richmond.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Nutstuyu on October 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Just so you know, I was passing on what the Lefties were putting out there.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM

radjah shelduck on October 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Why should anybody in the south be offended by the Land of Lincoln trophy? It has nothing whatsoever to do with anybody in the south. It’s presented to schools in Illinois. Last I saw, Illinois was still a northern state. Idiots.

HiJack on October 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Just another big mouth liberal. I have already shut down the NFL because liberalism continues to pervert all that it touches….hey costas, go away…..

crosshugger on October 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Bob Costas is nothing if not politically correct. He’s a little bald leftist with a bad hairpiece.

Adjoran on October 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

If no offense was intended, then the answer to your question is no, offense might not be legitimately be taken, the key word being “legitimately”.

lea on October 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

“…the once free peoples of the Hemisphere…”

Not counting the ones who were the slaves of other tribes, aka, the survivors.
Yes, it was a kind, peaceful, existence in pre-Columbian North America.

Another Drew on October 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Adjoran on October 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

It just took him a couple of decades.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Dear Bob Costas and NBC,

As a long-time Redskins fan, I will offer you a deal. I will support a change in the name of the team as long as you agree that Mr. Costas and any NBC commentator, newscaster and sportscasters who does not have an approval rating of at least 90% will be immediately fired.

I find the mindless, politically-correct drivel of Mr. Costas (among others) to be based solely on personal sensitivities and wholly ignorant of such time-honored legal notions as “secondary meaning.” As an opinionated and well-educated individual, such ignorant and self-important blathering is wholly-offensive to me (yes, I have been know to be an intellectual elitist) and many others.

I make this offer in recognition of the fact that 90% is, after all, the standard for have set for the team and apparently everyone else by allowing him to squander valuable air time during a sporting event.

Sincerely,

EB

EdmundBurke247 on October 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM

The people who are complaining DON’T WATCH FOOTBALL.

John the Libertarian on October 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM