Nobel Peace Prize awarded on spec again

posted at 8:01 am on October 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

At least when Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize for replacing that evil drone-flying, war-waging George Bush, he’d been on the job longer than two weeks.  Not much longer than two weeks, I grant you, but he’d had at least some time to measure for drapery and get about halfway through his planning to escalate the war in Afghanistan.  At the time, critics charged that the Nobel committee gave the award to Obama for just showing up, but this time it’s almost literally true:

The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, the Hague-based agency responsible for destroying Syria’s chemical weapons, has won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Norwegian Nobel Committee said Friday in Oslo.

The award caught much of the world by surprise, as did last year’s prize, which went to the European Union. But the removal of chemical weapons from Syria has been viewed as an important step in bringing an end to a two-and-a-half year war that has killed an estimated 100,000 people.

And that might be true … when Syria actually rids itself of chemical weapons. At the moment, though, the OPCW just arrived in Syria at the beginning of this month to take inventory, not to disable weapons, and there’s no real indication that Syria will comply in this effort.  Under the terms of the UN Security Council resolution, there are no consequences for non-compliance other than a strongly-worded letter and the possibility that the UN Security Council might have a loud meeting about it, which I grant might be frightening for diplomats who get the vapors too easily.

The committee seemed to understand that this would produce plenty of head-scratching, including at the OPCW itself:

At the same time, the committee posted to Twitter that the prize was not awarded because of the work OPCW has just started in Syria, “but because of its longstanding work.”…

The agency has long been accustomed to little attention, and its role in Syria has been a big adjustment. “People are still getting their heads around being in the global limelight,” Michael Luhan, the OPCW’s spokesman, told The Washington Post in a recent interview. “If this is not an example of building a plane and flying it at the same time, I don’t know what is.”

Their role in Syria has been a big adjustment because they’ve never been involved in disarming a non-signatory to the Chemical Weapons Convention until a week and a half ago. The OPCW conducts inspections under the CWC to ensure compliance, but they don’t do so unless nations are signatories to the CWC or without their agreement.  While the OPCW claims the right to conduct fact-finding missions when chemical weapons use has been alleged, they’ve apparently never conducted one, at least not according to Wikipedia (an admittedly weak resource).

There’s nothing wrong with the OPCW, but the decision to award it a Nobel Peace Prize seems premature, to say the least.  And it’s even more puzzling when one considers the popular choice for the award, at least among the media.  Malala Yousafzai tried to defy the Taliban in Pakistan by keeping schools open for girls and young women, and took a bullet to the head for it.  She has since become a global spokesperson for womens’ rights in Islamic countries, a dangerous and difficult position which the teenager has handled with grace and dignity.  Wouldn’t recognition of Yousafzai’s efforts by the Nobel committee have focused more on actual accomplishment than simply giving an attendance award to the OPCW?

Comments

…the “PRIZE” is a joke!

KOOLAID2 on October 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

War on women Nobel style

cmsinaz on October 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

OPCW has acutally been around since 1997, but this is the first time I heard of them.

…the “PRIZE” is a joke!

KOOLAID2 on October 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

When Yasser Arafat and Teh SCOAMT get them, yep, it is a joke.

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Awwwwwwwwww, Maxine Waters didn’t win it again? Dang it, she’s been a tireless worker for economic and social justice……Nobel hates assertive black womenses I guess.

PappyD61 on October 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM

There are brave men and women working right now in the world’s premier crap holes to locate and disable old landmines which have killed and maimed far more than 100,000 people, where is a Nobel for them?

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

That’s because all of the REAL peacemakers are politically toxic to the Nobel committee. Or off riding unicorns.

cozmo on October 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Setting aside the absurdity of this particular instance of the awarding, and the fact that the Nobel Peace Prize is a political joke anyways, I fail to understand giving the award to groups like the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. They don’t do anything except follow orders. Why not give it to people who remove asbestos? Or people who sanitize our water supply? Or people who clean up industrial waste? It’s the same thing. Who’s next, Molly Maid?

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I’m happy with the choice. It affirms what a joke the Nobel Peace Prize has become. It’s no longer about accomplishment or even working for peace. It’s about honoring groups and individuals with the same agenda as European socialists.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I just opened a new box of Crackerjacks and guess what? Yep, yet another Nobel Peace Prize. I’ve got dozens of them.

Trafalgar on October 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

And many of them actually go out of their way to get involved in that, unlike the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, who are just another bureaucratic group of UN bureaucrats.

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM

When Yasser Arafat and Teh SCOAMT get them, yep, it is a joke.

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Yep.

dogsoldier on October 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

If Molly Maid wore the hammer-and-sickle or the crescent moon over her breast pocket,….

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Landmines are so 1990s. Chemical weapons are the hip new threat to world peace! At least until North Korea or Iran decides to detonate a nuke.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

They got it in 1997.

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

cozmo on October 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Ronald Reagan. And anyone who scoffs at the idea of Reagan getting one is a fool that knows squat about true peace. This award has devolved into Marxists patting each other on the back.

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

PappyD61 on October 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Yeah, I guess the whole “no justice, no peace” rant worked against her.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I submit if they detonate said nuke over Israel, they’ll get the Peace Prize for it.

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Amen, brother.

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I wanted Vladimir Putin to win. :((((

Marcus on October 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I wanted Vladimir Putin to win. :((((

Marcus on October 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

That actually makes more sense than the current winner.

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

They got it in 1997.

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I was being outrageously outraged and you had to come along and ruin it.

Guess what brother, you are OFF the Ramadan holiday card list.

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Well yeah! Getting rid of the Jews would do a lot for peace in the region from the European socialist’s perspective. Fitting considering how these idiot’s grandparents treated the Jews when they were still living in Europe.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Booooooo!

Malala Yousafzai deserved it, but the Nobel chicken-sh!tters didn’t want to offend Muslims who are scared of women who can read.

A round or two of mocking the Norwegian Nobel Committee everyone!

rbj on October 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I had this crazy dream last night-

I was staying at hotel along the Gulf coast, doing a long weekend of long necks, tequila shots, gumbo, and oysters on the half-shell. At the crack of dawn -way too early- Rigobert Menchu comes waltzing in and in a Sofia Vergara-voice chants “Housekeeping! Joo wahnt me fluff peel-low?” Meanwhile, Barack Obama is placing my freshly-buffed shoes against the hallyway wall just out side my door and the OPCW is in chem suits as they scrub the crapper I nuked the night before. All of them sport a shiny gold Nobel medallion on a ribbon ’round their necks.

Of course, I awoke from that dream as I slways do: with a Greek chorus of extra-hairy lesbian Code Pink lesbians on the street ‘neath my window loudly “mic – checking” Occupy-style a “Die, racist!” refrain.

M240H on October 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Translation: they`re just making it up as they go along now.

itsspideyman on October 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I wanted Vladimir Putin to win. :((((

Marcus on October 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

The whole bombing Georgians and Islamokazis (but mostly bombing Islamokazis) thing worked against him.

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I wanted Vladimir Putin to win. :((((

Marcus on October 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I was rooting for Edward Snowden. It would embarrass the lazy stupid bastard in the White House and there would be all the fun over determining if he could travel to Oslo to receive the prize without being arrested and extradited.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I was being outrageously outraged and you had to come along and ruin it.

Guess what brother, you are OFF the Ramadan holiday card list.

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Aw shucks, now I won’t have a reason to eat Ramalamadingdongs.

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Well if it’s all built on speculation, I hear in a few years healthcare.gov will have an awesome website…I am going with the Goebbels Piece Prize.

hillsoftx on October 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Alright then, how about me, I separated two dudes who were planning to throw down in the bar a long time ago in Sturgis, and I was never officially recognized for my efforts.

I could use a new bike, maybe some custom parts on the Mustang, a million bucks would go far in that regard.

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

hillsoftx on October 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Healthcare.gov was probably going to get the award, but the committee couldn’t log on.

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

There are thousands of people out there in the trenches doing great work… doctors saving lives, workers building and helping the poor, even some rich who invest and assist and contribute… all unknown in the world. Working tirelessly contributing all they have and yet never acknowledged or known but by a very few close around them.

I’ve always believed when this life is over… on the other side we will meet and see these great people. There they will be made kings and queens! You’ll walk and see a 6 story high statue of some woman and ask “Who is she? Did she win the Nobel Prize? Was she a President or did she write books?” “NO! She was a mother who scrubbed floors day and night for 35 years while raising 6 children on her own!” Here they were nothing (in the eyes of the world) There they will be among the greatest awhile the so called great here will not even make it and be quickly forgotten.. or if a few do.. they will be very small and among the least.

JellyToast on October 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Disappointed that Tesla wasn’t in the running.

docflash on October 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM

M240H on October 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Never eat spicy burritos before going to sleep.

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM

It seems that the peace prize is becoming less a formal recognition of accomplishment after the fact than an investment of hope in future/potential. I’m sure that many will hold this transformation in contempt but we could do worse than singling out great potential and encouraging players to aim for the stars.

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I hereby nominate Bishop for the 2014 Nobel Piec…er, Peace Prize.

I’m holding out for the war bounties :-)

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Obama should win all Nobel prizes in every subject.

nazo311 on October 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

You can self-nominate? Then I want to be considered. I spent last Thanksgiving as the only conservative among the group gathered at the in-laws. I held my tongue as they talked about what a super awesome job the lazy stupid coward in the White House is doing. That ought to be worth a few bucks.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM

So everybody in the classroom gets a gold star, and no one ever goes on to accomplish anything because people quickly learn there is no benefit to rising above. Yeah, that’s so awesome.

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I’m sure the Maverick is pretty disappointed considering all his efforts at acquie peacemaking between Democrats and Democrat-Lites Republicans.

He had planned on taking his honey, Lindsey, on a nice trip to the Berkshires with the winnings.

M240H on October 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Then re-write the criteria. Nothing wrong with awarding seed money for noble causes. But don’t represent it as a Peace Prize.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

How about Jan Vanier? He has worked for over fifty years to bring dignity to people with mental disabilities.There are over 200 L’Arche communities worldwide that gives a warm home environment to these folks. Vanier however, is a Christian.

celtic warrior on October 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

celtic warrior on October 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

How has that monster avoided the war crime tribunals at the Hague?

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Or maybe we consider legacies more carefully. We consider who we’ve invested hope in in the past. We consider why we did so. We consider whether or not they lived up to those aspirations. We bear this in mind when when investing such hope in the future.

Or possibly the very fact of investing such hope raises the stakes a little. People try a little harder. There is an extra bounce in their steps. They struggle a little harder in the face of adversity.

Contempt is easy.

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

celtic warrior on October 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

50 years and he still hasn’t brought dignity to people with mental disabilities? What a loser! /

This is the new liberal mindset. It isn’t about accomplishment it is about intent. The lazy stupid coward, the EU, and now OPCW. All groups and individuals who have said the right things but haven’t actually accomplished anything.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

On the positive side, Martin Karplus won a share of the chemistry Nobel. His “Atoms and Molecules” is one of the best science texts I have ever encountered.

Chuckles3 on October 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Contempt is easy.

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

So is self delusion, apparently. There is no incentive for accomplishing anything when you are rewarded before you even get started.

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Sigh. You can’t make this stuff up. I still can’t get over Irena Sendler’s having been passed over n favor of Al Gore. You remember Irena Sendler. She’s the nurse who smuggle Jewish babies out of the Warsaw ghetto under the nose of the Nazis. 2500 them to be more precise. There is something very wrong with the Nobel Committee.

IdrilofGondolin on October 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Peace is forever a potential and never a total realization. Removing landmines is great work but it’s about fixing what we’ve already screwed up through hostile actions. It doesn’t actually do much to prevent such things from happening again. l’Arche communities further treating the disabled with dignity but, again, it’s about correction after the fact.

I see no great harm in peace prizes being awarded to recognize the confluence or both potential and opportunity while telling people to struggle and not blow this chance.

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Chuckles3 on October 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I didn’t care for the casting choices in the movie version.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Well, they can’t let the Jews have all the fun.

Ben Hur on October 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

If it’s merely a paycheck or an employee of the month award then there is no special significance to it. If standard profit motive were all that was at play we would never pay attention to it in the first place.

Again. Contempt is easy. Hope in potential and opportunity … Not so much.

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

And I see more honor in awarding the prize to the nun who spent decades in the Indian slums than I do to some organization that claims to want to do something about the Indian slums. The man who fought apartheid most of his life than a group who wants to do something about racial intolerance.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Again. Contempt is easy. Hope in potential and opportunity … Not so much.

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

You aren’t a very bright individual, and you have a miserable understanding of human nature. The truly noble are few and far between; just about nobody is Mother Theressa. And when you reward people for potential actions you remove any incentive to actually follow through. To truly encourage noble behavior it is always better to reward what has actually been accomplished, not what we wish for. No one deserves a reward for woulda, coulda, or shoulda. That only ever creates a sense of entitlement in people. And such people go on to be the worst sorts.

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Chuckles3 on October 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

The Swedes still take the science Nobels seriously.

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

People fell all over themselves to award prizes to Mother Theresa and Nelson Mandela. There is no shortage of awards, prizes, and public acclaim for them. Mother Theresa could likely have made pneumatic power armour of all the medals bestowed upon her.

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Chuckles3 on October 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Completely off-topic, the other day Paul Ryan suggested to “merge” Medicare Parts A and B, presumably to allow the HI Trust Fund to have the permanent senior claim on general Treasury revenues the SMI Trust Fund has. Your two cents’?

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

It’s a prize not an award. An award is something earned, a prize is something you get in Cracker Jack.

Flange on October 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

This is just like a few years back when the Nobel committee gave the Peace Prize to the IAEA for wishing away Iran’s nuclear weapons ambitions.

flipflop on October 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Are you actually suggesting that they were unworthy of getting Nobel Peace Prizes?

That there were no shortage of awards, prizes, and public acclaim for them should be an indication that the Nobel committee got it right in those years. Some obscure group dealing with chemical weapons…… not so much.

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM

This is effectively Obama’s second Nobel Peace Prize, as it’s somewhat based on his Syria “policy”, if you could call it that. I wonder how many more he’ll get, for “good intentions”. Healthcare.gov should get one, for improving the lives of millions. Obama should get another one for weakening not only our military but our entire country, under the theory no one country should be very strong. And there has to be a yet-to-be-delivered Obama speech that should garner him another Nobel.

Paul-Cincy on October 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM

flipflop on October 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Dieudonne is cool with that because, you know, a wish in one hand…

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM

This holds true if, and only if, the recipient treats the award as the end of the process rather than beginning of something potentially greater. You are absolutely correct – The truly noble are few and far between. Why not recognize people that have both the opportunity and the potential to be truly noble on a grand scale and encourage to make a leap they might not otherwise? The investment of hope will not always be rewarded. It will be satisfying when it is. Anybody worth giving the prize to will not see the prize as an end in itself.

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

True, but if it weren’t for Putin’s pwning of the Grifter in Chief, the OPCW wouldn’t even be in Syria right now.

RobertE on October 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Ok then how about the Fisher House.

Bishop on October 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Steve Eggleston on October 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

heh this reminded me of a comment conversation I had over on newsbusters 2 days ago where commentator said wtc taken down by missiles and MINI NUKE….
yup

dmacleo on October 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Then how do you explain the lazy stupid coward in the White House getting one for no other reason than being black and not GWB? The bastard has a kill list on his desk, uses drones against civilians, has not closed Gitmo, and is responsible for 73% of the casualties among American troops in Afghanistan. Did Obama see the prize as something greater than recognition? How’d he spend his money- more lobster for the first whore?

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

They would have given it to the Kellogg–Briand Pact, but they are out of business.

Wander on October 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

IOW a participation trophy

dmacleo on October 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Hmm, you make it sound like the Nobel price is the adult version of the Most Likely To list in your High School Yearbook. Potential and opportunity are great, but what should make a Nobel Price winner is what you do with them. There are many more cases of people having both potential and opportunity, and blowing both of them, or of just doing the minimal with them, then there are of people using that to step up to greatness. And that is what the Nobel price is supposed to be about; recognizing those that stepped up to greatness.

kenro85 on October 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Happy Nomad on October 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I also said that hope is sometimes misplaced and becomes an opportunity for future reflection. None of the things you mentioned were what he campaigned on. He campaigned on doing exactly the opposite of everything you mentioned.

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Wander on October 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

From nobel.org:

Adolf Hitler was nominated once in 1939. Incredulous though it may seem today, the Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1939, by a member of the Swedish parliament, an E.G.C. Brandt. Apparently though, Brandt never intended the nomination to be taken seriously. Brandt was to all intents and purposes a dedicated antifascist, and had intended this nomination more as a satiric criticism of the current political debate in Sweden. (At the time, a number of Swedish parliamentarians had nominated then British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlin for the Nobel Peace Prize, a nomination which Brandt viewed with great skepticism. ) However, Brandt’s satirical intentions were not well received at all and the nomination was swiftly withdrawn in a letter dated 1 February 1939.

Paul-Cincy on October 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Pffffft…..

ExpressoBold on October 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Kathy Lally, Debbi Wilgoren, and Tim Craig, washingtonpost.com

Seriously, . . . . . . . have ALL chemical weapons in Syria been ‘secured’?

Or have MOST chemical weapons in Syria been ‘secured’?

How about half? . . . . . Some … ?

listens2glenn on October 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Agreed. And this is exactly why it might not be terrible to recognize the potential and encouraging people not to squander the opportunity.

kenro85 on October 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I also said that the criteria and considerations of the committee appear to be changing. This doesn’t have to be a tragedy.

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Them lutefisk eating morons are just a bunch of leftist hacks.

chewmeister on October 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Seriously, . . . . . . . have ALL chemical weapons in Syria been ‘secured’?

Or have MOST chemical weapons in Syria been ‘secured’?

How about half? . . . . . Some … ?

listens2glenn

Ask Assad’s partner – John F’n Kerry!

Wander on October 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I think the NFL should award the Lions the Super Bowl this year based on their potential. And this will help encourage them to go on to actually win it.

Flange on October 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Awarding the Prize to her would be seen as being critical of Islam, and the hundreds of thousands of Muslim colonists now there would tear the country apart.

Oh, and you forget, Islam is “the religion of peace” per George Bush, and if you don’t loudly proclaim it those same practitioners might tear you limb from limb in righteous indignation.

But peacefully.

jhnone on October 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM

The “Peace Prize” has become a farce.

GarandFan on October 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

It’s like they are actually trying to make the biggest joke of the “prize” now.

“Did you see what we just did? Let’s see next years team out joke this year’s winner.”
2014 Nobel peace prize committee.

jukin3 on October 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

When they remove the chemical weapons from Syria will they just send them back where they came from, Iraq?

Dasher on October 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Malala Yousafzai deserved it

She became the lefty celebrity choice. The media have been working hard on her behalf.

NBC was real disappointed this morning that she didn’t get it. That says a lot. Of course, they said nothing about the offending Muslims part.

The media were with her because she is a young woman outspoken about the necessity for opportunities for girls and women. The shooting thing is just a kicker for the story. She could have been any young not-American woman anywhere.

Moesart on October 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I think I understand:

It’s actually the Nobel Piss Prize: Somebody misspelled it.

landlines on October 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Should have gone to Putin.

besser tot als rot on October 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I wanted Vladimir Putin to win. :((((

Marcus on October 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

It they’re basing it on the Syria outcome, it only makes sense to give it to Putin. This OPCW wouldn’t even be in Syria if not for Putin. Without Putin, none of this happens.

besser tot als rot on October 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

…the “PRIZE” is a joke!

KOOLAID2 on October 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Yeah, but the thing is that they would never offer the price to somebody with enough sense to decline it. So it never gets the treatment it actually deserves in public.

Valkyriepundit on October 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

This award has devolved into Marxists patting each other on the back.

NotCoach on October 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

That, and practically every other award awarded today. It’s how the Left burnishes their bullshitters.

BigAlSouth on October 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Say, what if a person wins, based on potential, but turns out to be a miserable failure or worse?
Take Obama, for example. There’s a guy who won the Peace Prize yet turned out to be a wretched, destructive turd.

Would they have to give the prize back or something?

justltl on October 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Doesn’t seem like a dramatically improved choice to me. You used the words “efforts” and “accomplishment” as if they’re interchangeable. They’re not.

Ronnie on October 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM

It’s like the gold star you’d get in grade school for standing before the class and repeating all the bromides the teacher had fed them.

Socratease on October 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM

dieudonne on October 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM

My nine year old and my seven year old have a lot of potential – why not award the Nobel Peace Prize to them?

Why bother to even run the race? Just give out the winner’s trophy to the runner that you think is the fastest.

SubmarineDoc on October 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

So typical of liberals to love the world they want to live in rather than the world that is. They just awarded a prize to their own dreams and hopes rather than concrete accomplishments.

Greek Fire on October 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM

The prize is a meaningless contest ……………………. What they ought to do is just stop giving it out.

SC.Charlie on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Considering that the list of “laureates” includes Woodrow Wilson, Yasser Arafat, Lê Ðức Thọ, Jimmy Carter, Rigoberta Menchu Tum, IAEA and Mohammed elBaradai, the IPCC and Al Gore, The One, and the European Union, I’d say the award is less about achievement than “agenda”. And is more and more about a combination of aspiration and self-perceived “specialness”.

I suspect that in future, the committee may well award the prize to itself, or to any individual or group whom they wish to celebrate for their “beingness”. Which would actually tend to explain the awards to IAEA, IPCC, Gore, The One, the EU, etc.

Some jokes simply are not funny. The Nobel Committee being a case in point.

clear ether

eon

eon on October 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM

It was supposed to be Malala.

The Nobel committee had already decided – and Putin was second on the list – BUT both Malala and Putin shared one utterly irreconcilable sin: their actions and attitudes brought anger to the hearts of the raging followers of the Pedophile Prophet.

Malala embarrassed the Muslim Brotherhood just by surviving – bet she isn;t around much longer either but it will be a lot quieter termination than if the Taliban executed a Nobel winner.

Putin has been on a Crusade to try and stop the Muslim Brotherhood from re-creating the Caliphate on Russia’s Southern Border … what with vast areas of Russia having tens of millions of already disgruntled devout Muslims living in close proximity to a fractured collage of Islamic dictatorships and lawless Afghanistan. Why do you think they invade Afghanistan in the first place?

Phone calls were made from Riyadh and Dubai – probably from the White House as well. Threats of economic attack and violence that would occur in either case and promises of money and benefits apportioned under the table for compliance. The carrot and the stick.

The Nobel prize committee – like everything else in Europe – buckled under the pressure in a way that no only signaled the end of the Malala “free-the-girls-to learn” crusade, but also smacked at Putin thru his vassal Assad. Messages delivered.

babylonandon on October 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM

The Nobel Peace Prize has been the Leftist Man Of The Year Award for decades. It is just an agenda item. It is worthless.

Theophile on October 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM