Great news: Starbucks to end shutdown and broker grand bargain with petition or something

posted at 5:21 pm on October 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. You tell me: Is CEO Howard Schultz…

(a) an earnest concerned citizen who’s doing what little he can to nudge the parties towards fiscal sustainability?
(b) a registered Democrat who’s eager to see an anti-ObamaCare shutdown foiled? (“I don’t pretend that both parties are equally to blame for this crisis.”)
(c) a self-interested corporate executive who doesn’t want to find out what hitting the debt ceiling would do to his bottom line?
(d) a shrewd advertiser who, like many political groups right now, knows an easy opportunity to build a mailing and drum up some extra business when he sees one?

I’ll accept “all of the above.”

This is one area where we can help put our country back on the right track. Using our collective scale for good, this Friday Starbucks and others will distribute a petition (www.ComeTogetherPetition.com) asking Congress and the White House to:

First, reopen our government to serve the people
Second, pay our debts on time to avoid another financial crisis
Third, pass a bipartisan and comprehensive long-term budget deal by the end of the year.

Starbucks will offer up its thousands of stores across the nation to give the millions of customers who come through our stores every week, and thousands of partners (employees) who serve them, an opportunity to have their voices heard by signing our petition. Please join us in doing what you – and your companies – can to give the American people the voice they currently lack, and are desperately crying out for. And in the process, you can help to restore faith and trust in our government through your civil words and deeds.

Not the first time he’s pulled a stunt in the midst of D.C. gridlock. Two years ago, during the last debt-ceiling standoff, he asked Starbucks baristas in Washington to write “Come Together” on coffee cups, a gimmick so feeble (if not quite as feeble as, say, this) that it makes the petition gambit look Churchillian by comparison. He claims on the Starbucks website that he’s doing this because “the American people have no platform with which to voice their frustration with Washington,” which I’m … pretty sure isn’t true. They’ve got e-mail, phone numbers, and of course polls showing that Congress is now less popular than hemorrhoids and dog sh*t. Message received. Schultz seems to be aiming for some sort of demographic sweet spot that’s high-minded enough to be excited to sign a petition to Congress and gullible enough not to see this as a lure to bring an extra few of them into the store this weekend. Is there any demographic like that in America? Even teens are savvy enough about advertising to spot a publicity stunt when they see it. I think.

Exit question: Is this related to last month’s polite request for gun owners to leave their weapons at home from now on? Lefties were annoyed at him for being “Second-Amendment-friendly” under their old policy, righties are annoyed at him now that the policy’s been revoked. A kumbaya “come together” moment to increase the peace in Congress might get both of them off his back a bit. Click the image to watch.

hs2

Comments

Most celebrated by the left…hate from the right.

Boycott Starbucks, always.

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

If you are so keen on helping America, lower your prices.

mjbrooks3 on October 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I’ll accept “all of the above.”

…and you be right.

On the exist question – boycott him anyway.

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Buck Starfucks

rik on October 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I never did like Starbucks coffee and have boycotted them for at least 5 years.

hip shot on October 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I have bought exactly one cup of coffee from Starbucks. The blank stares I got for ordering a medium coffee was priceless.

“Yeah, coffee, regular”

We had a Krispy Kreme wave hit town a few years ago and I got the same stares when I stood in line for one donut. Didn’t know about the blinking green sign or anything but everybody else was ordering dozens. I think that fad died though.

DanMan on October 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I really do feel bad for Starbucks. No other company has to spend such a vast sum of money and time on this nonsense just to try to minimize their clientele’s throwing of bricks through their windows.

That’s what happens when your target market is “thinks businesses are evil in direct proportion to their success and visibility” and “is opposed to the legal principle of private property.”

HitNRun on October 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Starbucks, where the unemployed meet the unemployed looking for a job.

hip shot on October 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Boycott Starbucks, always.

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Been doing that since they first opened and I got a look at the hippies and metrosexual types sitting at at the tables on their patio. Not my kind of crowd, so I’ll stick to a nice family diner or a country coffee shop, when I find the need for a cup of store-bought.

TXUS on October 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM

A veritable icon of the left and the company I most blame for the decline in Seattle.

BOYCOTT STARBUCKS

*And what colossal hubris on their part, I might add. Gee… who else do we know who shares that trait?

thatsafactjack on October 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Coffee Summit!

This is going to be a Vente ClusterLatte.

Joe Mama on October 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM

But, the Koch Brothers!!!

Resist We Much on October 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I don’t touch the stuff myself, but it has been alleged that the Pumpkin Spice Latte works miracles… or at least, has prevented massive cases of road rage….

2nd Ammendment Mother on October 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz ….. :(

But, Thanks for providing a magnet place for hippies and metrosexual types,dweebs, and liberals of all sorts…it will make it easy to round them up when the time comes… ;)

BigSven on October 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM

You tell me: Is CEO Howard Schultz…

e) a gigante douchebag who sells awful coffee at ridiculous prices.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on October 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM

So when is Howard going to dump his employees onto the ObamaCare exchanges?

Realist on October 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM

So when is Howard going to dump his employees onto the ObamaCare exchanges?

Howard claims he isn’t going to do that, actually. We’ll see what he actually does when he becomes subject to the employer mandate…

Realist on October 11, 2013 at 5:53 PM

As feeble as Huntsman and Bayh’s ‘No Labels’ ads.

Resist We Much on October 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM

to increase the peace in Congress

At first I thought you wrote, “to increase the price of coffee.” At least that much is accurate. Of course, the reason the coffee is so expensive there is that the place has to provide an environment in which people can get a spot to situate themselves for a few hours for only the price of coffee. With ObamaCare, I get the feeling they might be seeing even more people looking for a place to spend their ever-more copious free time for less than a dollar an hour.

calbear on October 11, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Sure I’d go to *bux , buy an overpriced CrappeLatte or Crappaccino and give that store my name, address, phone# and
e-mail ID too…..

burrata on October 11, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Who? What?

. . . Why?

Axe on October 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I’ll accept “all of the above.”

DITTO.

Won’t buy Starbucks products. Ever again. Haven’t for a while now, don’t plan on starting up again with their coffee beans.

Lourdes on October 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM

POSTED AT 5:21 PM ON OCTOBER 11, 2013 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

It’s a PARTIAL shutdown. When you’ve eaten 83% of a meal AP do you claim you haven’t had anything to eat?

Basilsbest on October 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I’m sure Howard means ” this government”
since he is a shill for Hussein. I don’t remember him being such an activist for ” our government” during the Bush years

burrata on October 11, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Wait.. I thought Starbucks didn’t get involved in politics…

Except to ban guns in their stores…
And now to support Obama…

Skywise on October 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM

can you spell WAWA ?

gracie on October 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I never did like Starbucks coffee and have boycotted them for at least 5 years.

hip shot on October 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Among the worst quality coffee out there, and I am a coffee connoisseur.

jimver on October 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Too little, too late.

It is quite clear that the two sides are being forced to the table by the pressure applied by the Third Way ads put on by Jon Huntsman and Evan Bayh. The nation can stand the shutdown, but there is only so much of those two sanctimonius losers we can take.

Adjoran on October 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM

… is Howard Schultz …

(a) …
(b) …
(c) …
(d) …

(e) a worthless piece of anti-America, anti-2nd Amendment garbage

( answer: “e” )

Pork-Chop on October 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I am gonna have me some fun fun fun when I sign this petition at the Possum Holler mall location.

Maybe sum thin like:

“Call 1-800-eat-$$$$-ndie”

Or what else…..

“I came in here for an overpriced coffee not a lecture you stupid M#%€£*}#+?¥”

“How ’bout I move this Latte up $$$ %#*+^?”

oh it gonna b fun.

PappyD61 on October 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Go in and order a large hot water…….most will do it as a courtesy..

…and then you cost them $$$$$.

PappyD61 on October 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM

No Allah… he’s

(e) a classic, self-absrobed yuppie blowhard

I’ve heard this guy speak in person — so full of himself. I felt like yelling out, “Relax, Mary… you’re making f’n coffee - get over yourself!”

dpduq on October 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Saw the petition garbage in my email this morning and just sent a pointed response.

When I submitted the email, the site was so busy it took a few minutes to go through. Methinks I’m not the only peeved customer….

Grace_is_sufficient on October 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Why even bother? When was the last time Obama responded to a petition?

Besides, people go to Starbucks for the free Wi-Fi, and stare at their computer screens for hours while sipping a latte or two. They would never even notice a petition.

Steve Z on October 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Among the worst quality coffee out there, and I am a coffee connoisseur.

jimver on October 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Also, they don’t even have brewed decaf in afternoon and evening time. When you want a decaf, they make you a cup of weak warm drip coffee using filter paper . 7-11 brews a fresh pot of decaf anytime of the day or nite if you ask for it .
And *bux’s Pike’s roast is the worst thing I’ve ever tasted .

burrata on October 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Sorry Starbucks, but I’m a Dunkin Donuts American.

If the country must split and go into meltdown, I stand with Cruz and Co. and FREEDOM!

KirknBurker on October 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Boycott Starbucks, always.

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Roger

entagor on October 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Wait.. I thought Starbucks didn’t get involved in politics…

Except to ban guns in their stores…
And now to support Obama…

Skywise on October 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM

10-4

On one hand, I’ve always thought of this company as one supported largely by trendies, yuppies and libtards and have spent maybe $20 there my entire life-just don’t think they’re product is all that anyway.

On the other hand, I do admire this outfit as a successful, profitable company.

If this guy’s political views are supported by enough of their customers, and their stockholders, and he continues to oversee a profitable concern, then so be it.

Of course folks can always vote with their dollars. If enough regular customers start doing that, then maybe that will bring about a change with this man’s attitude, or possibly that of the board of directors.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Shut up and grind beans!

HellCat on October 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I’ve spent many$$$ @ Starbucks. Yesterday, I cut up my Gold Card.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Damn! I bought my wife a mocha before I saw this tripe.

Don’t usually spend a nickle in Starbucks, but she has a cold, I was near the ubiquitous grocery store kiosk, and…

If I had known I would certainly have driven the extra mile or so to the local coffee shop.

Oldflyer on October 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Shut up and brew.

Maddie on October 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Shut up and grind beans!
HellCat on October 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Sorry, posted before reading comments!

Maddie on October 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I’m a gold card Starbucks person and yes, I liked a particular line of their drinks – for someone watching their weight (all the time) Starbucks had some goodies. However, I am also a carry permit holder. And I was NOT pleased w/ the “request” to leave personal arms outside the shop (remember the guy who murdered a few in TX a couple years back – one daughter watcher her parents get mowed down – she had her gun in her car but that coffee shop banned guns. So, Mr. Schultz, do you really want to promote “no guns” at Starbucks? OK, you backed down but what were you thinking?

As for the current – most of us call our legislators – we don’t appreciate someone trying to placate everyone – it simply won’t work.

MN J on October 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Starbucks has no shame serving up this swill, just like their burnt coffee. They don’t know bipartisan from Blue Mountain beans.

Christien on October 12, 2013 at 3:27 AM

MN J on October 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM

LIBERALS DON’T THINK, THEY EMOTE !!

And, with their ‘complete psyche’ formulated of blubbery emotions, it is quite trying, and difficult, to logically reason with them.

BigSven on October 12, 2013 at 7:08 AM