Cruz to hecklers: I’ve taken more questions today than Obama has all year

posted at 12:41 pm on October 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Senator Ted Cruz took the stage today at the Family Resource Council’s Values Voter Summit — and took on the hecklers who tried to derail his speech.  With obvious delight, Cruz told one heckler that he’d taken more questions in this one speech than Barack Obama had all year, and then told another that he was grateful that Obama’s staff came to the event rather than cause “mischief in the country.”

Needless to say, the audience roared with approval:

• In response to one heckler, Cruz said: “Thank you, sir, for being here. You know, look, it is a great thing that people can express their First Amendment rights. And I only wish the Obama administration respected First Amendment rights that much.”
  • To another heckler, Cruz responded: “Ma’am, thank you for being here. I wish you would participate in the democratic process through speaking respectfully. … It seems that President Obama’s paid political operatives are out in force today. And you know why? Because the men and women in this room scare the living daylights out of them.”
  • Interrupted again, Cruz took aim at the president: “You know what? I’m curious. Is anybody left at the Organizing for America headquarters? I’m actually glad that the president’s whole political staff is here instead of actually doing mischief in the country.”
  • When another heckler yelled out a question, Cruz responded: “You know what’s striking, actually? In the course of this brief speech, we’ve heard more questions than President Obama has allowed in the last year.”
  • The heckling then led Cruz to “make an offer” to Obama. “I would welcome the president, if he wants to get a hundred of his most rabid political operative in a room, I’ll answer their questions on television as long as he likes. And in exchange, all that I would ask, Mr. President, is you take not a hundred, but ten of the men and women in this room, and spend 30 minutes answering their questions for the American people.”
  • To another liberal activist, Cruz responded: “Oh, they don’t want the truth to be heard. They definitely don’t want the truth to be heard.”

Maybe someone can explain the strategy here for the Democrats and/or progressive activists. Heckling and interrupting an event like this is dumb under any circumstances, as it makes the hecklers look petty and ridiculous and engenders sympathy for the speaker. It also allows adept speakers to both raise their profile and take shots at your cause from a much higher platform, literally and figuratively — and on CNN in this case, too.  And specifically in this case, it rallies people around Cruz at a moment when he’s taking quite a bit of heat inside the GOP tent, giving him great sound bites that are practically guaranteed to go viral.

Great strategy, hecklers. It’s not quite as bad as turning the National Parks Service into shock troops against World War II veterans, but it’s not all that far off, either.

Watch the entire speech here, along with excerpts passed around by Cruz’ office earlier today:

“Throughout history we have seen great nations rise and fall. And everyone here today is here today because we are not content for the United States of America to rise and do anything but continue to be the greatest country on the face of this Earth.

“Only the American people can turn this great nation around. Only the American people. The book of Ecclesiastes tells us there is nothing new under the sun. As dire as things are, I want each of us to remember back to 1978 and 1979. Those were dark times with 22 percent interest rates. Double-digit unemployment, gas lines going around the block; our hostages languishing in Iran for 444 days. The President of the United States said: we have to accept malaise, the Soviet Union can’t be stopped; our foreign policy is ‘détente’—which I’m pretty sure is French for surrender. And what were we all told, over and over again? There is nothing you can do about it. It can’t be done. The top marginal tax rate is 70 percent and it will stay 70 percent no matter what. The Soviet Union cannot be defeated. The government will always grow and freedom in America will always recede.

“In 1980, the Reagan Revolution began across this country. I’m looking at a lot of foot soldiers and generals from the Reagan Revolution. A lot of men and women in this room bear the scars and understand the power that when the people rise up, ultimately sovereignty resides in one place and one place only. And that is with We the People.

“I’m going to suggest a model for how we turn this country around in the next couple of years. It is the model we have been following together to stop that train wreck, that nightmare, that disaster that is Obamacare.

“It is because of you that the House of Representatives has been standing strong because the House has been listening to the people; It is because of you that for the past two months the country has been engaged in a national debate about the enormous harms that Obamacare is causing.

“All of the millions of Americans who are losing their jobs, being pushed into part time work, losing their health insurance. It is because of you that the American people are energized, and we see the Obama Administration defending positions that are utterly and completely unreasonable. Repeatedly the House of Representatives has acted to compromise, to fund vital priorities, and repeatedly President Obama and the Democrats have refused to negotiate.

“There are two things I have unabiding faith in: One is a benevolent God who loves each and every one of us, and number two is the American people who love liberty and opportunity unlike any nation, any people in the history of this world.

“Each of you is called to be here. Much like Esther, you are called for a time such as this. For hundreds of years every generation of Americans has given to their kids and grandkids greater opportunity, greater prosperity, a greater future. If we keep going down this road, we will become the first generation not to do that. And every man and woman in this room believes in your heart and in your soul that is utterly and completely unacceptable.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ted was calm, cool, and collected. He didn’t let them bother him and turned their crap on them. I think I’m going to like a Hispanic in the Spite House, I mean White House.

Mirimichi on October 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Exhibit A:

Fallon on October 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Great, except replacing him WITH ANYONE in the current House gop leadership wouldn’t be an improvement.

Ryan/Cantor/McCarthy/Noem/McMorris-Rodgers/Hensarling you name them. They all are Morning Joe “Conservatives”

PappyD61 on October 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Do we need any further proof of clueless the libtards really are?

dentarthurdent on October 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Mirimichi on October 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

If he should get in (we should be so lucky), it will no longer be the Spite House.

But…. will it then be the White Hispanic House?/

dentarthurdent on October 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

“Maybe someone can explain the strategy here for the Democrats and/or progressive activists.”

Was it Wile E Coyote (my life-long hero and role model) that had that ACME shotgun with the barrel bent 180 degrees?

Tsar of Earth on October 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM

He’s my senator, I love him, he’s the future of the Republican party. Stay tough Ted!

neyney on October 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I love this guy. The left is scared to death of him.

newportmike on October 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

But…. will it then be the White Hispanic House?/

dentarthurdent on October 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Works for me.

Mirimichi on October 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I love this guy. The left is scared to death of him.

newportmike on October 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

…and the right, which is glorious.

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Liberals aren’t doing a very good job of hiding their racism these days.

crrr6 on October 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I love this guy. The left is scared to death of him.

newportmike on October 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Despite massive problems with the online launch, national support for Obamacare is up by almost 8% since Cruz started his little crusade.

No one has done more for the opposition. Cruz for Pres!

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Ted Cruz is inspirational. He comes across as honest, passionate, and very smart. A real leader.

birdwatcher on October 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Maybe they’re happy no one can sign up

crrr6 on October 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Okay. Sacramento is one of us.

Doubtful.

That he (or she) doesn’t like Cruz’s style is fine. (We’re not all exactly alike in our thinking.) As long as Sac votes for Cruz in 2016, he (or she) can be concerned and even critical.

Fallon on October 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM

But the blathering Sacramento has already stated he won’t vote for Cruz because he doesn’t like his style.

Cruz does not do this at all, and while this approach may make/keep him popular with a very narrow segment of the electorate, he will correspondingly alienate a much bigger chunk of voters by acting like he alone has a God-given monopoly on smarts, virtue and discernment.

Sacramento on October 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM

But it’s funny how Sacramento can’t say one bad thing about the egomaniac Barack Obama or criticize Barack Obama.

No surprise, because Sacramento (the city) is full of Obama supporters who are wishing death on Cruz supporters and their children.

northdallasthirty on October 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM

To those that do not like Cruz’ attitude. You do know he is from Texas right? We Texans believe we are superior. It’s bred into us.

I wish I knew where to find the poll now. But years ago in college my political science teacher cited a poll regarding how people identify with “where they are from”. If in a foreign country over 80% of Texans would tell people they were from Texas not the US. That is just how large our Texas pride is.

maables on October 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

My husband and I were talking about this just the other day. Last year for our 25th wedding anniversary we went to England and Scotland. Whenever we were asked where we were from we would say Texas, not America. It was also funny the responses we got. Folks were absolutely fascinated by Texas and were asking us all kinds of questions like do we all wear cowboy hats or do we live on a ranch? It was a great conversation starter. A friend from Maine came down for a visit a few years ago and was amazed that the Texas flag was flown everywhere. When I went to visit her in Maine I could see why. I think I saw one Maine state flag while there. We are proud of our Texas, we love her, and will fight to the death to keep her.

neyney on October 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

No one has done more for the opposition. Cruz for Pres!

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Which only shows how psychotic and stupid Obama supporters like you are, brayam.

Does the braying jackass Brayam want to explain why Obama lied about EVERYONE’s insurance premiums going down?

Anyone? Braying jackass Brayam?

northdallasthirty on October 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I bet Ted Cruz will never give a speech in front of some fake styrofoam Greek columns.

birdwatcher on October 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

neyney on October 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

That is awesome! I love how we fly the Texas flag everywhere and also how we can (and do!) fly it at the same height as the US flag.
Absolutely!

Congratulations on 25 years of marriage!

maables on October 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

No one has done more for the opposition. Cruz for Pres!

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Nice how you took that 3% in ONE poll,and simply turned it
into 8%…

You know I fancy myself a “numbers” guy. I work in the
engineering field…when I do Highway design work with
Slopes I sometimes would very much like to turn a slope
on a grade into 3% or Less, when I’m dealing with a slope
of 8% plus….believe me, drivers do not like grades that steep…

so what the hell, I’ll take that 37% approval rating Obama
earned the other day and inform you that it’s 32%..

..see I just simply deducted 5%. Ain’t’ this fun!!??

ToddPA on October 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Ted may not be perfect but in the words of Lincoln:
“I cannot spare this man! He fights!”.

Hard Right on October 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Does anyone remember if GWB sent hecklers to disrupt speeches by Hillary or Obama?

tj4osu on October 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

So you’ve signed up already then, right?
You must be one of the privileged few OFA staffers who actually got in.
Did your premiums go down 3000% like Barky promised?
I’m curious, because mine just went UP 68%.

dentarthurdent on October 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I bet if Ted Cruz was president, He would not shut down the war memorials and insult our veterans in the event of a government shutdown. Ted Cruz has class, unlike the jackass occupying The White House now.

birdwatcher on October 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Another poll-obsessed idiot..as if they matter in a country with half the population retarded, uninformed and with the attention span of a 5-year old….yeah, tomorrow they will show that support for Obamacare is down 6%, what will you do then, pull out your hair or wait until the day after tomorrow when the polls will show support for obamacre up again…

jimver on October 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

No one has done more for the opposition. Cruz for Pres!

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

And yet only 51K have actually signed up for it all over the country. And the employer mandate hasn’t hit yet. I say bring it on– You will lose, because it is a disaster for this country and our economy..

I guess you fall into the Charlie Sheen definition of #winning..

melle1228 on October 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM

jimver on October 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Nope, then it will pull the “Well it is the law of the land wah wah wah!”

melle1228 on October 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

jimver on October 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

LMAO

ToddPA on October 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

8%?

You have to be desperate if that’s good news.

itsspideyman on October 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

jimver on October 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Frankly I’m surprised it’s ONLY 8% (according to brayam’s supposed poll) – given how many idiot libtard voters there are now who actually believe they gonna get all their healthcare free, and Bama gonna give me a free phone, and they gonna gib me everthin I need free….
and they just haven’t actually gotten on a computer and actually tried to sign up yet.

My wife has looked into the Colorado exchange, just to see what’s there – mainly because our library district (her employer) is really pushing it (we don’t need it due to my employer coverage).
The application form is 26 pages, and you have to complete that, with LOTS of personal data, before you ever get to see what your options are or how much they will cost.

dentarthurdent on October 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM

The NEW Republican Party can not begin too soon.

Where do I sign up?

KCsecurity1976 on October 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Heckling is a particularly stupid idea when the speaker is so bloody good at discrediting himself.

MJBrutus on October 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Did you say poll obsessed idiot?

“I just did CNN and I just go over and over again ‘We’re willing to compromise. We’re willing to negotiate.’ I think… I don’t think they poll tested we won’t negotiate. I think it’s awful for [Democrats] to say that over and over again,” Paul said.

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

what specifically did he say that discredited him?

Murphy9 on October 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Are you really that stupid that you completely missed the actual point of that particular conversation?

dentarthurdent on October 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Did you say poll obsessed idiot?

bayam on October 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Funny how you latch on to that. Again ONLY 51k have signed up. If Obamacare is so wonderful, wouldn’t we atleast be seeing 51k per state? #winningnothing

melle1228 on October 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM

MJBrutus on October 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I’ll defer to your expertise.
From what I’ve seen lately, I get the impression you know what you’re talking about with respect to that particular skill.

dentarthurdent on October 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Bayam is just proving the point of the poll from the other day that said Americans are below average intelligence-wise.

Murphy9 on October 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

melle1228 on October 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM

By my calculations, 8% of the population of this country would be in the ballpark of 25 million people.
Soooo, if favorable opinions of 0care are up 8%, shouldn’t we see at least that many people just itchin to sign up?
So why only 51,000 so far?

dentarthurdent on October 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Murphy9 on October 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Exactly.

How much would you pay for a dual purpose bowl system?
These bowls can be used for either cereal OR spaghetti?
No, they’re not $4000 per set, if you call now, you can this dual purpose bowl system for $400 per set. But call NOW, operators are standing by….

dentarthurdent on October 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Heh!

racquetballer on October 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM

It’s official. Sarah Palin no longer lives rent-free in Vile Prog’s heads. Ted Cruz has taken over the lease.

If you want to know who the Vile Progs fear the most, just look at who they attack.

myiq2xu on October 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM

MJBrutus on October 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Can you provide a single example?

myiq2xu on October 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ted Cruz, sweetness, you ain’t the President.

libfreeordie on October 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM

That’s SENATOR Cruz, to you, jerky.

Pale Rider on October 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Ted Cruz is an idiot and was born in Canada. You birthers thought Obama was born in Kenya, yet don’t say a peep about Cruz? Hypocrites!
/typical Prog drone

Decoski on October 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM

MJBrutus on October 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Can you provide a single example?

myiq2xu on October 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I think it’s nice that there’s now someone to keep Sarah Palin company in this ankle-grabber’s head. Rent free.

CurtZHP on October 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

dentarthurdent

Of course he is, lol. Or he could have been lying, hoping no one caught it. Since he’s a liberal, picking either of these would be a safe bet.

xblade on October 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Sacramento on October 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Thank you for your “Concern”.

Gee whiz. They’re coming out of the woodwork.

kingsjester on October 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Fear tends to provoke a lashing out.

kim roy on October 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM

You beat me by a minute. I am flabbergasted that ANYONE would hate Cruz for this when we have an egomanic in the Whitehouse.

melle1228 on October 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Obama puppets like Sacramento aren’t rational people; they’re racists worshiping their black-skinned Messiah.

northdallasthirty on October 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM

We can’t be sure what the protesters really believe, they are likely paid to be there and just cause a general disturbance.

slickwillie2001 on October 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Ted Cruz, sweetness, you ain’t the President.

libfreeordie on October 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM

And you, darling heart, are a nobody.

itsspideyman on October 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM

ToddPA on October 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

jimver on October 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

You can make a poll come out with any results you want.

I used to work for a political consultant. When he did polls, he was actually trying to figure out where public opinion was, not the BS push polls and efforts to get a politically exploitable result that seem to dominate news media and political polling nowadays. He made a major effort to use questions that were absolutely result-neutral, and I can guarantee you they were vastly different than the questions asked in polls like this CNN crap.

I also notice the media are trumpeting the low Republican numbers they have generated, even as they ignore the plummeting and historically low numbers for Democrats and Obama.

I think there is a vastly more important trend that is being ignored. The college students who are a critical segment of Obama’s base are turning on him. One of the biggest advantages Obama has had going for him is that no matter what he did or how badly he screwed up, the shine on his halo remained untouched. If it becomes acceptable among a core segment of his base to not merely criticize him, but to question his motives, the halo is tarnished, and no amount of polishing will return it to its original luster. It will become much easier to criticize not just the policies, but the man, once that barrier is broken.

As Glenn Reynolds has called it, a preference cascade. It’s beginning, and the end will be disaster for Obama.

novaculus on October 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Cruz v. Obama:
The difference between a knowledgeable adult; and a spoiled, petulant child.

Another Drew on October 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I’ll stand squarely with Cruz.

Bmore on October 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Cruz handled himself very well with the hecklers, and his speech is quite good, but his DefundIt strategy is an unmitigated disaster. The Senate Conservatives Fund he has aligned himself with is a menace and he should distance himself from this group pronto.

Buy Danish on October 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM

The smell of fear is strong in these trolls.

The sight of Ted Cruz strikes fear in the center of the RINO’s and they grit their teeth, bugg out their eyes, pump up their faces red and the fear oozes out their pores like rain in a Texas thunderstorm.

The msm will go bat sh8t crazy over the next years as the next Pres. election rolls toward their lives and still the fear will grow.

They have had it their way now for 50 years and bad old habits die hard.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Ted Cruz, world class troll bait.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

bayam on October 11, 2013

…blow me…

KOOLAID2 on October 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM

the President.

libfreeorgan on October 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM

…but…wait a minute!

KOOLAID2 on October 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Ted Cruz, sweetness, you ain’t the President.

libfreeordie on October 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Why are you making his point for him?

rogerb on October 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Communists don’t care. All they want is to instill Marxism and be in charge of the Proletariat.

These subversives should have been run out of the country decades ago, but the average American felt sorry for them and their sympathizers and operatives in the U.S. government (including the DOD) protected them.

F the Commies, and God Bless Senator McCarthy, the John Birchers and the rest of them who tried to stand up to these b—-ds.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Cruz

Bmore on October 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM

O bama
f lukes
A merica

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Why why WHYYYYYYYYY do so many here keep giving this irrelevant SLUT acknowledgement a year and a half after her 15-second clock stopped ticking???

cableguy615 on October 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM