Video: The epic Hannity-Weiner showdown

posted at 10:41 am on October 10, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

It doesn’t take very long for this to go off the rails, and then it goes on … and on … and on.  The first half is a debate on why Anthony Weiner showed up at all, and then there are about 90 seconds of actual discussion of issues until we get back to the nature of show hosts and guests.  The final two minutes are a classic of sorts, with Sean Hannity trying to get back to the issues while Weiner keeps trying to interrupt him before he can get the questions out.  The final minute is a colloquy on auditions for MSNBC and, er … camera angles.

Quote of the week: “You want me to talk about low standards? You really want to go there?”

Jill Colvin at Politicker captures the lunacy:

But Mr. Weiner nonetheless tried to dominate the conversation, asking nearly as many questions as Mr. Hannity, at one point prompting the frustrated host to declare, “I’m the host, you’re the guest!”

“I get to do questions! What am I? A potted plant?” Mr. Weiner shot back.

“You’re auditioning for MSNBC. You’re auditioning! You want Chris Matthews’s job. I can tell! You want to ask the questions. You wanna be Chris Matthews. You never shut up like Chris Matthews either,” Mr. Hannity alleged. (Mr. Weiner—who sources told Politicker was meeting with agents long before he launched his bid—insisted this was not the case.)

“Fox apparently has much lower standards. I’d much rather have a job on Fox,” replied Mr. Weiner.

“Oh, ouch. Ooh. You want me to talk about low standards? You really wanna go there?” Mr. Hannity fired back.

Well, may we should. Why bother having Weiner on at all? Of course he’s auditioning for a job at MSNBC.  Where else can Weiner go at this point?  Besides, they just picked up Alec Baldwin to do an hour a week, so they must have a pretty shallow news/political talent pool from which to draw.  Even before Weiner disgraced himself, he built a reputation for loud-mouthed, dull-witted demagoguery.  He’s an expert on platitudes and Anthony Weiner, and that’s about it. What value does he add as a guest, other than to do train-wreck theater?  At least Hugh Grant had real talent and charm.

Comments

Well Sean invited him to be a guest. what did he expect.

gerrym51 on October 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I should want to watch this video …why exactly? I mean, I normally just pass over stories I’m not interested in. That’s the sane thing to do. But I’m struggling to understand what Weiner has to offer the public, other than himself as an object of ridicule. And I think less of Hannity for giving him the soapbox.

Fenris on October 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

It was truly funny watching this crapweasel.

katy the mean old lady on October 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Yeah, I don’t see the point of giving him airtime. None of the other stations will embarrass themselves with Weiners presence so I’m not sure why Fox gives him a soapbox to stand on.

HotAirian on October 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

We just need to move on and let this guy disappear. That is the best move for all parties, including Weiner.

Ferris on October 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Well, Weiner is married to a muslim who is closely linked to the ‘muslim brotherhood’ and other islamic terrorist organizations, so, he’s a shoo-in for a position at Al Jazeera.

Pork-Chop on October 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

HotAirian on October 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

The comedy value was priceless.

katy the mean old lady on October 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Anthony Weiner is a loser (and I’m being kind). I consider myself a conservative and to be honest I can’t stand listening to Sean Hannity. In my area Hannity follows Rush on talk radio. When Hannity comes on I turn the station.

DaveDief on October 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Perhaps we should wait and see how Boehner sells the idea of supporting a “short” period of raising the debt ceiling while not getting any concession from the lazy stupid bastard in return.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Incredible.

Once again Hannity completely misses the obvious.

There’s Weiner, saying “You said there should be something with it. The President doesn’t dispute that.”

Yes he does, Weiner. That’s exactly what he disputes. What the hell do you think “clean” means?

But Hannity just smooth misses it and starts yammering about MSNBC.

Typhoon on October 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I don’t know what trauma this poor man experienced growing up, and I can’t imagine how hellish it is to be him, but this man is just psychotic.

SailorMark on October 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

At 15:20 of this clip, you see what stage we’ve reached.

cbenoistd on October 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I have a hunch Hannity didn’t tell Carlos Danger, “You’re a great American.”

22044 on October 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Weiner is a human dichotomy.

Impressive – in that he is willing to endure and fight.

Sad – in that he is a man with almost no conscience – which is scary.

jake-the-goose on October 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

DaveDief on October 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I have had the same attitude for years now. I won’t bother with The Ted Baxter Factor, either.

I like Sean. He’s a nice guy who does a lot of good things off of the air but I just can’t stand listening to him. Especially since he follows Rush. The contrast between them is striking.

trapeze on October 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Weiner would do good by getting a permit for one of those hotdog carts
to push around the streets.A ready made venue where he could rant about republicans.

docflash on October 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Hannity is always stuck on talking points…. he is the rights version of MSNBC. Just like maddow- he pulls most his content and commentary directly from blogs- which requires very little research and thinking. Then his debates are speckled with just talking point lines. It gets old and only entertains the shallow.

Bensonofben on October 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Good Lord…

FNC was testing the waters to see what the reaction would be from their audience.

Has anyone been paying attention to how close Hannity is to falling into oblivion?!?

Hannity’s GOP drone shtick finally caught up with him and now he’s damaged goods.

His losing slots to Savage. He got bumped from 9pm. His career is on the rocks.

So Ailes is testing Weiner to play the new Colmes.

Not on a nightly basis, but at least once a week.

budfox on October 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Pork-Chop on October 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Have you seen the ratings of AH? For many of their shows, they score a whole 0 (yes, that’s ZERO) in the demos.

Now, if Weiner is only after a paycheque, AJ may be the way to go, but if he wants any viewers, he needs to look elsewhere. AJ is turning out to be anything but a launching (or relaunching) pad for wannabe and washed-up politicians.

Resist We Much on October 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

This was a waste of air time. Anthony Weiner is a ridiculous human being and totally unimportant!
Total waste of time and I for one do not know why he was on except to pass time???

Delsa on October 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Hannity acted like a smug moron, fearful of debate.

nottakingsides on October 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

SailorMark on October 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Enough about Hannity, the focus should be on the slimeball he was interviewing.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Not sure why you would put Hugh Grant in the same category as Anthony Weiner, unless he was mentioned in the vidya. Grant screwed up – so what, he’s not trying to gain power, and he wasn’t sending pix of his junk to any skank on Facebook that would give him attention.

King B on October 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Two losers – why bother?

Hill60 on October 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM

See, this why Sean Hannity is no longer in the 9 o’clock time slot.

Punchenko on October 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM

That was MUCH less epic than Mark Levin and the Ron Johnson beat-down.

Marcus on October 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

tee hee

SailorMark on October 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

*let freedom riiiiinnnggg

equanimous on October 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Where else can Weiner go at this point?

In a Miley Cyrus kind of country, I’m sure there’s any number of holes he could hide in.

M240H on October 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM

His 15 minutes should have been over long ago.
Stop giving him more face time.
Just let this wacko disappear.

dentarthurdent on October 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Video: The epic Hannity-Weiner showdown

How is a showdown epic if nobody cares about either participant?

I know Weiner still has supporters on the left, which says quite a bit about the left. Does Hannity still have any actual supporters among the right? Dude is a talking points robot reaching levels seen only by the likes of DWS.

weaselyone on October 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Weiner looks & acts the part of a circus clown. That’s what he should do next.

(Pssst….he wants to be an MSNBC host.)

Same thing.

Deafdog on October 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Entertainment Tonight.

Professional wrestling but nothing near as good.

Hannity should never ever give these punks air time.

Sherman1864 on October 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Well, may we should. Why bother having Weiner on at all? Of course he’s auditioning for a job at MSNBC. Where else can Weiner go at this point? Besides, they just picked up Alec Baldwin to do an hour a week, so they must have a pretty shallow news/political talent pool from which to draw. Even before Weiner disgraced himself, he built a reputation for loud-mouthed, dull-witted demagoguery. He’s an expert on platitudes and Anthony Weiner, and that’s about it. What value does he add as a guest, other than to do train-wreck theater? At least Hugh Grant had real talent and charm.
Ed Morrissey

+100. The whole thing should have been a deleted scene.

onomo on October 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I’ll say this for Hannity–anybody who can turn John McCain purple with rage can’t be all bad. Also, his show came in second to O’Reilly in the latest cable ratings.

As for Weiner–what’s HA’s fixation with this creep? Too much overkill on both Weiner and the Redskins. Ugh!

MaiDee on October 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM

This is a guy who craves public attention.

We shouldn’t give it to him.

trigon on October 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Hannity is like a pinball bouncing hither and yon among his inflexible and limited talking points instead offering intellectual rebuttal. And he entertains more liberals than sane guests, at least on radio, which is truly pointless a conservative host. And when all else fails for him, he mimics his liberal guests’ talking points back at them as if hearing his high pitched voice repeating what they just said in a mocking tone is suddenly going to reveal to them the error of their ways.

He needs an intervention.

LetsBfrank on October 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Bensonofben on October 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM

He still managed to clean Alan Combs’ clock every night.

I get the same impression from Hannity. He seems like a good guy (and an honest guy), but he chirps talking points, and I never get the impression anything he says is a result of his own analysis. He rarely says anything surprising or original. That said, I don’t mind him that much. I bet he’d make a great neighbor.

I get tired of Rush’s schtick, but I believe he thinks about the issues. He believes what he believes because he thought it through – he isn’t simply reciting the latest officially approved conservative stance. On the contrary, he often makes those stances.

Mark Levin has a tendency to get too negative at times…but I like him a lot.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but they’re all on “our side” – and I try to remember that when I’m tempted to bash one of them…and that includes some of the conservatives commentators on Fox, like Krauthammer, who I agree with more often than not. He offers his honest opinion, and that’s what counts.

DRayRaven on October 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

So was he Sexting while Hannity was interviewing him??

ToddPA on October 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I’m no Hannity fan, but he still has the #2 rated radio show and has fallen slightly to the #3 rated cable news show (which isn’t too bad for a 10:00 PM show).

I don’t know about damaged goods, but yes the “GOP drone shtick” is accurate.

His losing slots to Savage. He got bumped from 9pm. His career is on the rocks.

This is not true. Savage had been relegated to late night radio. Savage only got Hannity’s slot once Hannity had a falling out with Cumulus Radio and refused to re-sign with them. Savage would have never even sniffed that slot had Hannity decided to sign a new contract.

So Ailes is testing Weiner to play the new Colmes.

Not on a nightly basis, but at least once a week.

budfox on October 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

It’s very, very possible, although I’m not sure they would go that far just yet since Hannity has already been demoted…wouldn’t want to add insult to injury.

GOPRanknFile on October 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM

He needs an intervention.

LetsBfrank on October 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

They should give Tucker Carlson his time slot. Tucker is pretty quick on his feet.

Punchenko on October 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Two Dicks, One screen.

portlandon on October 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I still can’t get over Hannity coming out in favor of amnesty less than a couple days after the election.

Punchenko on October 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I’m not sure there are two people I’m less interested in seeing or hearing on TV, or anywhere else.

rrpjr on October 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM

It was truly funny watching this crapweasel.

katy the mean old lady on October 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

..I agree! And Wiener as well!

The War Planner on October 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Punchenko on October 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

“..uh huh. Do you know what a barrel shroud is?”

The War Planner on October 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Weiner looked a little stiff.

dthorny on October 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Punchenko on October 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

“..uh huh. Do you know what a barrel shroud is?”

The War Planner on October 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM

LOL, good find. :-)

I guess we have to pass her bill before she knows what a barrel shroud is.

Punchenko on October 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Listened to Hannity one night couple of weeks ago. Surprised to hear him actually shut up and let his callers finish their points and then responded accordingly.

Nice change. Maybe someone had a talk with him? Or maybe he was just having an off day?

Cleombrotus on October 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Weiner looked a little stiff.

dthorny on October 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

..it’s the gift that just keeps on giving, innit?

The War Planner on October 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Where else can Weiner go at this point?

M240H on October 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM

He always struck me as one of those guys that stand outside of a stripper joint trying to convince people to come inside.

“Goyls, goyls, goyls, we gots ‘em in all sizes, shapes and colors!”

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

The sound of two idiots blathering.
Hacks on the attack.
But I did enjoy that every time the discussion got momentarily substantive, Hannity accused Weiner of auditioning for “Chris Matthews job’.
I agree that wouldn’t be auditioning for Hannity’s gig.
Ha.

verbaluce on October 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Where else can Weiner go at this point?

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Funny thing is, Roger Ailes would take him in a heartbeat.
It’s showbiz over there.
New show: Palin & Weiner

verbaluce on October 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Typical infidelitous, dishonest democrat.

Murphy9 on October 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I’m always amazed at the amount of Hannity-hate that pours out from this blog whenever his name is brought up. The most successful conservative on cable news and the only conservative with a show of his own – so sure let’s beat him up and get rid of him. Then you folks can all whine that there are NO conservatives on cable news.

TarheelBen on October 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It was truly funny watching this crapweasel.

katy the mean old lady on October 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Funny watching Weiner too.

verbaluce on October 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Instant outrage, offense and condescension at every single question.

This tool has been trained by the masters. He coulda been a contender.

29Victor on October 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

TarheelBen on October 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Well, it’s sort of like going to an art museum and complaining about the crap Picasso put out. It’s not that WE can do better, it’s just that we knows HE can do better.

Cleombrotus on October 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I don’t like the new Fox. Megyn sucks. Greta is trying to hard.

John the Libertarian on October 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

TarheelBen on October 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I agree. I wish he was smarter and could make our arguments more effectively, but on the other hand Hannity very rarely goes off the reservation. He and Rush are the two most reliable conservatives in the media today.

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Hannity acted like a smug moron, fearful of debate.

nottakingsides on October 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Which works only if AW was capable or interested in debate.

This was nothing but a circus sideshow. It’s apparent that AW in both stature and looks is nothing more than an underfed, shrieking rooster. Set phasers to kill on this turkey.

kim roy on October 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM

King B on October 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I didn’t get the analogy with Hugh Grant either. He’s an actor (isn’t what their profession and celeb status is all about, exhibitionism that is), he can do that all day long, why would anybody care or have a problem with it. Besides he’s got more ballz than just showing his ballz :), I mean he’s a doer, not a talker and pic swapper like Weiner :)… On a different note, what the heck was Hannity thinking inviting that idiot on his show anyways and giving him a platform for his crazy talk. But then Hannity is not the sharpest tool in the box either.

jimver on October 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Captain Talking Point on the right, and Capt Talking Point on the left does not equal good television. They are both a couple of clowns.

JeffinOrlando on October 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM